New York Knicks

most viewed right now
NFL Von Miller gives every player in AFC West bottle of wine, Thank You note
41 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
CAM'RON explains y he dont rock with that dirtbag JIM JONES anymore. Speaks on..
145 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NBA Curry is completely petrified when guarding Harden
68 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
J.Cole dissing Kanye on new song "False Prophets"
327 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 years ago '04        #10421
Born_Loser|M 81 heat pts81
space
space
$40,636 | Props total: 2138 2138
Frank Isola

Amar'e Stoudemire's hectic summer didn't include much basketball but it did include yet another knee surgery, the Daily News has learned.

According to a Knicks source, Stoudemire had an unreported surgical procedure in July to repair one of his ailing knees. The Knicks open camp on Tuesday and have yet to announce that Stoudemire has had a third knee operation in 12 months. The surgery was described as "clean up" and isn't considered major.

However, the secrecy surrounding Stoudemire's latest health issue could be an indication that the club is not optimistic that they can rely on the veteran power forward. Stoudemire appeared in just 29 games last season and had debridement surgeries on both of his knees, the right knee in October and the left in March.

Stoudemire was on a strict minutes restriction last season and both head coach Mike Woodson and former general manager Glen Grunwald said last May that the plan going forward was to reduce the playing time of the fragile $100 million forward.

Stoudemire's work ethic is second to none and in the past he has worked vigorously to get himself back on the court. However, the Knicks management is all but resigned to the fact that Stoudemire will never return to his All Star form on a consistent basis.

Stoudemire is entering the fourth season of a five-year, $100 million contract. Because of his previous knee problems, Stoudemire's contract is not insured. Stoudemire's former team, the Phoenix Suns, were advised by their medical staff that Stoudemire would be physically limited in the third year of his contract.

Based on that information, the club refused to give Stoudemire the type of offer he received from the Knicks, who at the time were desperate to add a free agent and were holding out hope that signing Stoudemire would convince LeBron James to join them.

However, the Suns diagnosis has proven to be correct. Last season was the third year of Stoudemire's deal with the Knicks and he broke down before, during and after the season.

Stoudemire's health is what led to the Knicks to pursue power forward Andrea Bargnani from Toronto in July. Bargnani was acquired before Stoudemire's surgery. The Knicks also re-signed Kenyon Martin as insurance. The odds of Stoudemire starting alongside Carmelo Anthony were always remote and now it appears as if the best the Knicks can get out of Stoudemire is a few minutes a night as a back-up.

The health of several key players is a troubling sign for the Knicks, who are coming off their most successful season in 13 years. J.R. Smith had major knee surgery in July and a.ssuming he is available to play in November he will still be forced to miss five games due to his drug suspension.

Also, Anthony played the first six weeks with a partially torn left labrum. He elected not to have surgery and from all indications his non-shooting arm is recovering through physical therapy. However, there is no way of knowing how Anthony's arm will react once the rigors of the regular season begin.

Last year, Anthony needed to have fluid drained from his right knee in March. The Knicks were criticized for their handling of Anthony's knee including the decision to have Anthony return from Denver, where the Knicks were playing, to have the procedure done.

Also last year, the Knicks called Rasheed Wallace's injury a sore foot even though he had been diagnosed with a stress fracture that eventually required surgery and forced him to retire.
 3 years ago '04        #10422
space
space
Chandler bragging about how he's worked on his offense during the summer. Hope this is true cause this dude cannot just be about defense (and even sometimes on that he backs down on occasion)
 3 years ago '10        #10423
Agentzer0oo0 199 heat pts199
space
space
$65,269 | Props total: 10336 10336
 Born_Loser said:
Chandler bragging about how he's worked on his offense during the summer. Hope this is true cause this dude cannot just be about defense (and even sometimes on that he backs down on occasion)
Gonna be interesting to see which Tyson Chandler we see this year.

Bobcats Tyson or Mavs Tyson?

An extra added offensive move would be lovely.
 3 years ago '04        #10424
space
space
Berman

Steve Mills believes the Knicks roster former general manager Glen Grunwald built is good enough to win a title this season. But apparently it was not enough to Grunwald to keep his job.

In his first move as Knicks president/GM, Mills on Monday picked up the contract option on coach Mike Woodson for the 2014-15 season. And in the first press conference of his term, Mills spoke boldly of the Knicks’ chances this season.

Something doesn’t wash, but often it doesn’t in the unorthodox world of owner James Dolan, who believes Mills is the guy to lead the eventual reconstruction of the Knicks. They are set to have salary cap space in 2015, but need to prepare by re-signing Carmelo Anthony this summer.

No, Mills was unable to explain the logic behind firing Grunwald four days before training camp after he a.ssembled a title-caliber roster.

“Our goal is to win a championship this year,’’ Mills said. “We feel like we need to build on the success we had last year. While we have long-term goals, our near-time goal is the same as they’ve been. Our goal is to win a championship. We think we have a good chance to do that.’’

The Woodson announcement removes the coach’s lame-duck status before training camp, but it hardly a.ssures Woodson will last until next season, especially if the Knicks — who finished second in the East last season — take a step back. Dolan was known to be displeased with Woodson’s performance in the team’s second-round playoff ouster against the Pacers this spring.

“I had an opportunity to spend a lot of time with Mike Woodson [in recent days],’’ Mills said. “I watched the team a lot last year. I was happy to see what he was able to do with the team. The first thing I decided to do was exercise the option on his contract.’’

Woodson’s job appeared to be on shaky ground last week after Mills replaced Grunwald, who tabbed Woodson and has a strong allegiance to the 55-year-old coach dating back to their days as college teammates at Indiana.

“I don’t know if there was weight on my shoulders, but I’m excited Steve Mills and Mr. Dolan have given me the opportunity to come back another year,’’ Woodson said. “I’m extremely grateful.‘’

Mills was asked several different ways about the unusual timing of his hire and Grunwald’s reassignment to an advisory role.

“I can’t answer the question as to why Jim made the decision [now],’’ Mills said. “What Glen and I have agreed is Glen will stay on as adviser and help me in my transition. I think Jim’s ultimate objective was continue on the success we’ve had over the last couple of years. How do we continue to grow and how do we continue to build, make this franchise and the basketball part of the organization the best it can possibly be.’’

Asked about the suddenness of Grunwald’s departure last Thursday, Woodson said, “I have nothing to do with that change. I wish him nothing but the best. We go back 34 years as you know. I wish him well from the bottom of my heart.”

One of Mills’ first remarks Monday was stating his belief Carmelo Anthony, who can opt out of his contract to become a free agent after this season, will be retained.

“We are fortunate to have a player like Carmelo on our roster,’’ Mills said. “He’s one of the superstars who don’t come around very often. While it is premature in the process, we have made it very clear we have every intention of making Carmelo a Knick for a long time to come.’’

Dolan is viewing Mills and a.ssistant GM Allan Houston as a tandem to rebuild the franchise as it enters a pivotal period.

Mills said of Houston, “I think he’s an up-and-coming great basketball executive.’’

Mills, the former Garden sports president who once hired Isiah Thomas, said he’s looking to revamp the organization’s philosophy and mentioned a movement toward more analytics. In this age of a punitive luxury tax, signing players whose production outstrips their contracts is crucial. Mills hinted he could hire another front-office type, perhaps one who specializes in advanced statistics.

“[Jim] felt in today’s environment of the NBA with the punitive nature of the tax structure and the salary cap that he wants to have an organization that is the best in the NBA,’’ Mills said. “He felt it was time to bring someone in who can take a look at every aspect of running a basketball business.’’

Though he hired Thomas and was in office during the Anucha Browne Sanders s3xual harassment case, Mills said he had no regrets from his first term at the Garden.
 3 years ago '04        #10425
space
space
Berman

J.R. Smith, in his first remarks since receiving a five-game suspension for testing positive a third time for marijuana, said he feels bad for letting down many in the Knicks organization — including owner James Dolan — by lighting up.

“The worst thing is I feel I let my teammates and coach down,’’ Smith said Monday at Knicks Media Day. “I let Mr. Dolan down. I’m looking to move forward from it. As soon as I’m able to play, I’m hoping to have a good season.’’

Smith, who played hurt in the Knicks’ second-round playoff loss to the Pacers, knew he needed surgery on his chipped patella tendon after the season ended in late May, but he waited until after he re-signed in mid-July.

Smith contradicted the Knicks’ stance that he waited to see whether it would heal. Smith said it was more about his contract status as a free agent, though postponing surgery wiped out most of his training camp.

“I’m a father and I have two young children to look after, and it made more sense to my family to get a deal done before that,’’ Smith said. “Without a doubt, we had the support of the team. The team supported us and the doc supported us on the decision. It was more a family decision.’’

Smith is rehabbing, and says he hopes to be ready for the Oct. 30 season opener. However, he then would have to begin serving the five-game ban, meaning he likely would not debut until the season’s sixth game at the Garden against the Spurs.

Mike Woodson didn’t sound happy about Smith’s drug suspension.

“I don’t condone anything like that,’’ Woodson said. “J.R. knows he made a major mistake. I haven’t heard his comments, but I’m sure he’s apologized to the guys because we made a commitment to win. Hopefully it’ll be a learning experience.’’

Woodson also expects Smith to be ready for the season opener. An independent doctor hired by the NBA will give Smith a physical to determine whether he indeed is ready to play before the suspension kicks in.

The Knicks chose not to put Andrea Bargnani on the Media Day podium with almost every other player in the rotation. Bargnani, who speaks with a heavy Italian accent, spoke on the side of the gym with a small group of reporters and said he could have rejoined Team Italy in September for the European Championships, but didn’t feel he had enough time to get into playing shape. Bargnani was shut down in early August with pneumonia during the national team’s training camp.

“I was pretty sick, but now I’m good, that was in the past,’’ Bargnani said. “I’m back on the court. Last week I practiced. I’ve got to get back to the game shape during training camp. In September, I was good when the European Championship started, but there was not enough time to recover to get back in game shape and be able to play at such a high level.”

Metta World Peace taped a standup comedy routine last week and was back at it during Media Day. When asked his comfort level with the forward positions, World Peace cracked, “I’m most comfortable in the bed.’’

On the Knicks’ front-office shakeup, World Peace said, “What shakeup? The only shakeup I know is when I’m shaking up my chocolate milk.’’

World Peace also said, with a straight face, he thought his alma mater St. John’s had bolted for the ACC.
 3 years ago '04        #10426
space
space
Ohm Youngmisuk

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- If his media day news conference is a preview of things to come, Metta World Peace is going to be a source of entertainment for the Knicks.

The forward spent a few minutes before his presser interviewing members of the media with a microphone and a camera following him. Then he sat down with Raymond Felton and provided some answers that can only be described as MWP-ish.

If you’ve spent any time around the player formerly known as Ron Artest, you’d know that he has his own unique view on things which makes him a one of a kind. Even Carmelo Anthony found himself chuckling as he watched World Peace hold court.

Take his first answer in the presser when asked about his reaction to “the big shakeup” in the front office with Steve Mills being named Knicks president and GM.

“What shakeup?” World Peace asked seriously. “The only thing I shake up is my milk ... what shakeup?”

Then there was his answer about whether he is more comfortable playing defense at small forward or power forward these days.

“As far as me being comfortable, I am most comfortable in the bed,” World Peace said. “All right? I am not going to lie.”

Felton added, “He means sleeping, by the way.”

World Peace then described the type of bed he prefers and asked a reporter who was waiting to ask the next question if he knew where he could get that type of bed. The reporter blurted out, “Bed Bath.”

“Bed Bath?” World Peace asked. “I don’t think they sell beds at Bed Bath and Beyond.”

World Peace was also asked if he could compare former Lakers teammate Pau Gasol to new teammate Andrea Bargnani.

“Not really,” said World Peace, who added they both can hit 3-pointers. “Foreigners, not from America ... I can’t give a comparison. I haven’t played with Bargnani yet. They are good guys, they like to read. Read to achieve. I love you guys. Melo is here. Bye.”
 3 years ago '04        #10427
space
space
Berman

Carmelo Anthony had privately pined for a secondary scorer in the offseason. After the first practice of training camp, Anthony likes what he sees in the Knicks’ key offseason acquisition, Andrea Bargnani.

Anthony said he’d be willing to slide over from power forward to small forward to make room for the 6-foot-11 Italian in the starting lineup. He had one of the best lines of his Knicks career when asked whether the former No. 1 overall pick by the Raptors can handle the Big Apple pressure.

“There ain’t no pressure on him,’’ Anthony said. “You come in and do what you got to do and play ball. All the pressure’s on me. It should be easy for him. It should be an easy transition for him, adjusting. Just do it the right way, it should be easy for him.’’

During Tuesday’s halfcourt drills, Bargnani wore the starting blue jersey with Anthony and Tyson Chandler up front. Knicks coach Mike Woodson says his starting lineup is up in the air, but a frontcourt of Chandler-Bargnani-Anthony is a distinct possibility after the coach added the Italian has started virtually his whole career.

Regarding moving back to his position at the 3, Anthony said, “I’d be cool with it.’’

“I’m looking forward to getting up and down the court with Bargnani,’’ Anthony said. “I know his capabilities. For me, it helps me a lot now to have another stretch 4 who can stretch the floor, shoot and create of the dribble. It’s another weapon we have.’’

The Knicks were desperate to trade for Bargnani because they were planning on a strict minutes restriction on Amar’e Stoudemire because of his knees. (Woodson said Tuesday he expects Stoudemire to play less than 25 minutes when he is ready).

Bargnani, who had pneumonia in early August that forced his withdrawal from Team Italy’s training camp before the European championships, said he felt good after his first Knicks practice and does not think it will take long to get into game shape.

“My lungs are OK,’’ Bargnani said. “It’s a matter of getting in shape. I had to stay one month still. It won’t take long. I feel pretty good about it.’’

The Knicks have two trips to Toronto in the preseason, including next Friday. Bargnani was booed heavily last season, leading to the late June trade in which the Raptors obtained Steve Novak and draft picks from the Knicks.

“It will be weird for me,’’ Bargnani said. “I’d been there seven years, a lot of time. It will be a weird feeling coming into the gym with another jersey.’’
 3 years ago '04        #10428
space
space
Berman

After first practice, Woodson sounded high on Bargnani. "I don't think you can pass up on a piece like Bargnani,''Woodson said today. "One of those gifted players I think I can reach. I’ve watched him from afar for many years, coaching against him in Toronto. I just think he’s a talented, young player who can do a number of things. I just got to get him acclimated to what we’re doing and feeling good about himself agains because he can really help this ballclub.’’ Woodson said getting him familiar with defensive rotations was the challenge for now.
 3 years ago '04        #10429
Jae_Hood_354 91 heat pts91
space
space
$7,461 | Props total: 1189 1189
 Born_Loser said:
Ian Begley

NEW YORK -- The Knicks announced Thursday that former team executive Steve Mills will be back in the fold, replacing GM Glen Grunwald. Here's what the move may mean for the organization going forward:

BIGGER ROLE FOR ALLAN HOUSTON: Houston, the Knicks' a.ssistant general manager, will likely see his profile and responsibilities grow now that Grunwald is out. Mills is a top-notch executive with solid connections around the league, but he is not known as a talent evaluator. It's fair to a.ssume that Houston, a longtime Knicks player with close ties to team owner and MSG chairman James Dolan, will play a bigger role in talent evaluation and personnel decisions. Houston will likely be aided by fellow Knicks veteran personnel men Mark Warkentien and John Gabriel along the way.

WILL ISIAH THOMAS BE BACK? Probably not in any official capacity. Mills previously worked with the Knicks for 10 years as president of MSG Sports (Dolan oversees MSG as its executive chairman) and hired Thomas to run the Knicks. But Thomas and Mills reportedly had a falling out over how things unfolded during the Anucha Browne Sanders s3xual harassment lawsuit. Browne Sanders, the Knicks' former senior vice president of marketing and business operations, successfully sued MSG; a jury in October 2007 ordered the Knicks to pay her $11.6 million after finding she endured crude insults and unwanted advances from then-coach Thomas.

Don't forget, though: Thomas will always have Dolan's ear as an unofficial adviser. Dolan admitted as much when his attempt to hire Thomas fell through in 2010.

WHY NOW? It's certainly strange to shake up the front office with training camp practice set to start Tuesday. One thing is clear: Dolan was not comfortable with Grunwald running the team heading into what could be its next overhaul in 2015. The contracts of Amar'e Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler, Andrea Bargnani and Carmelo Anthony will come off the books going into the 2015-16 season, so the Knicks will have a chance to overhaul the roster in the summer of 2015. The team hopes that Anthony, who can opt out of his contract after this season, can be a part of that overhaul.

Dolan could have been upset over the Nets winning the battle of the headlines this summer from the Knicks. That would be a petty reason to get rid of Grunwald, who did a solid job in the offseason, given the Knicks' cap situation.

There's also a theory among those familiar with the Knicks' politics that Thursday's move paved the way for Houston to take over as president and GM in the future. Elevating Houston to president and GM now would make him culpable for Grunwald losing his title. Grunwald will remain with the Knicks as an adviser.

TROUBLE FOR MIKE WOODSON? The reassignment of Grunwald may mean less job security for the Knicks' head coach. Woodson's contract has a team option for next season. With Grunwald out, there is one less voice in the room to support the coach when the front office and Dolan discuss Woodson's future. Woodson and Grunwald are close. The pair, along with Thomas, played college basketball together at Indiana University.

BRINGS BACK BAD MEMORIES: Mills presided over the Knicks during a troubling period both on the court and in the courthouse. As mentioned, he served as the president of MSG Sports during the Browne Sanders s3xual harassment suit. He also ran the team during a period of poor on-court results. After Mills hired Thomas in 2003, New York missed the playoffs in six of the next seven seasons.
if he brings isiah back ill go down there n punch mills in the face
 3 years ago '04        #10430
space
space
Chris Herring

GREENBURGH, N.Y.—Of the 20 players participating here in the Knicks' preseason training camp here, 10 are power forwards.

Five of them are locks to make the opening-day roster, while two others are decent bets. This would seemingly leave the team with an imbalance of power up front. Strange as it sounds, though, the abundance of talent at power forward could be problematic, mostly because that's the one place it would be in the Knicks' best interest to have a single player—Carmelo Anthony, the NBA's reigning scoring champion—getting the minutes.

Here's where the Knicks' newest big man, Andrea Bargnani, comes in: Sliding the 7-footer over to small forward on defense could alleviate the problem and get Anthony more of the minutes he needs.

The suggestion that Bargnani—who is skilled offensively, but was widely seen as one of the NBA's weakest stoppers during his seven years with Toronto—could effectively defend the perimeter might draw blank stares from basketball analysts who have seen the Italian play that side of the ball. Still, there are indications that moving him to small forward on defense could aid the Knicks in several ways.

Beyond unclogging the team's logjam at power forward, sliding Bargnani to the wing would better utilize his best defensive skill: defending jump shots, which he's done at an elite level over the past two seasons, according to advanced metrics.

Not surprisingly, though, statistics weren't enough to sway Sam Mitchell, who coached Bargnani for two-plus years in Toronto. Mitchell, now a SiriusXM basketball analyst, suggested that Bargnani possessed the athleticism to play small forward defensively, but not the fire.

"[Playing small forward on defense] takes a commitment to running, and he's not gonna do that," Mitchell said, adding that he briefly, and unsuccessfully, played Bargnani there during a 2008 playoff series against Orlando.

Mitchell suggested Bargnani should remain in the post, both because he feels the 27-year-old could thrive in the right system, and because teams would be less likely to exploit him near the basket.

There's data to support Mitchell's point. Despite Bargnani's turnstile reputation on defense, a February SportVU study by Kirk Goldsberry showed that opposing shooters made just 35.2% of their shots when Bargnani was within five feet of their shot—the second-best defensive mark in the NBA among the league's 94 post players over the past two years.

But there's a catch: The study highlighted that Bargnani was only within opposing shot attempts 21.9% of the time, which ranked 90th out of 94 post players.

Translation: Bargnani is good at forcing misfires when he can get near the shooter, but he's normally not in good enough defensive position to make a stop.

That helps explain why Toronto's defensive on-court/off-court numbers, which measure how a team thrives or suffers when a specific player goes to the bench, improved for seven straight seasons whenever Bargnani took a breather.

With that in mind, Bargnani's post defense may not be an ideal fit for the Knicks, who were leaky at the rim due to subpar point-guard defense last season. They were third-worst in the league at defending the basket, allowing opponents to shoot 67.5%, according to Hoopdata.

Despite numbers suggesting that Bargnani would be better defensively on the wing—and the possibilities it could create for countless small-ball lineups—it seems highly unlikely that Knicks coach Mike Woodson would use him there.

"He's more agile than you think," Woodson said, adding that he sees Bargnani defending power forwards and centers once the season starts.

But Bargnani's ability to contest jump shooters—among post players, he limited opponents to a league-low 31.4% shooting last season, per Synergy Sports—would appear to mesh well with his new post-defending teammates. He'd certainly give up more than his share of drives to the basket, but he could be taught to funnel his men to the capable post defenders standing behind him.

Aside from former Defensive Player of the Year Tyson Chandler, Bargnani would also have Anthony and Metta World Peace—both of whom have lately defended better in the post rather than the wing—to provide help at the rim. Anthony and World Peace held opposing players to 32.1% and 37.7% shooting down low, respectively, last season, good for the 92nd and 74th percentiles league-wide, according to Synergy. (Another reason to play them and not Bargnani down low: They each rebounded at a higher rate than the 7-footer last year.)

And using Bargnani as a small forward on defense has worked before. In the past two seasons with the Raptors, he played 131 minutes on the wing alongside Linas Kleiza and Amir Johnson, a pair of players who, despite being shorter, better fit the profile of traditional post players through rebounding and defense.

Over that span, the Raptors forced an offensive rating of 95.9 per 100 possessions on 39.6% shooting (82-of-207) per NBA.com—both of which would have ranked best in the league defensively. (Toronto otherwise allowed 106 points per 100 possessions on 44.8% shooting, defensive marks that put it in the middle of the pack.)

Bargnani said it was too soon to think about where he fits best, and that he hadn't yet talked with coaches about how to refine his defense. "We're just starting training camp," he said. "The roles and the X's and O's will come later."

Time will tell if Bargnani has more to give on that end. But there's plenty to suggest how to use him effectively.
 3 years ago '08        #10431
AC_89 147 heat pts147
space
space
$33,785 | Props total: 5520 5520
I havent played with the knicks yet but bargnanis overall rating in 2k14 is only 70
 3 years ago '04        #10432
space
space
 dj ac said:
I havent played with the knicks yet but bargnanis overall rating in 2k14 is only 70
They always low ball n*ggaz when they come to ny... I remember d. Lee and Zach Randolph being in the 70 range they get moved and they mid 80s like c'mon son
 3 years ago '04        #10433
space
space
Berman

Amar’e Stoudemire is ramping up and feeling good, saying he can now foresee playing in the Knicks’ final two preseason games and being ready for the season opener Oct. 30 against the Bucks.

After going through his most strenuous workout on training camp Tuesday, Stoudemire came into the press room, sweating profusely and exuding the kind of optimism he didn’t show on Media Day last week.

Stoudemire went through a host of solitary basketball drills on the court and did his usual training-room workouts for his surgically repaired knees.

“It’s going great,’’ Stoudemire said. “I couldn’t be more pleased with the progress right now. I’m still getting stronger, still getting strong enough to withstand the pressure of playing. The progress has been great so far.’’

Stoudemire hasn’t been cleared to scrimmage or run on the court at full speed, and it seemed a longshot he could be ready for the season opener. The Knicks didn’t seem to care one way or another. After Stoudemire underwent a minor knee procedure in July, they strictly prohibited him from rehabbing aggressively until training camp started.

But now Stoudemire, who played just 29 regular-season games last season, is making the rehab push, and his mood seemed much brighter than at any time during training camp, where he mostly has been out of sight. He will be cleared to run at full speed next week.

“It’s definitely a possibility,’’ Stoudemire said of the opener. “It’s matter of how strong my legs are. I’m working my butt off to gain strength. Hopefully I’ll be ready by the season opener.‘’

The Knicks open the preseason Wednesday in Providence against the Celtics to begin a three-game trip. They have seven preseason games in all, and Stoudemire wants to play the last two.

“That’s a possibility for sure,’’ Stoudemire said. “If everything keeps progressing the way it has been, there’s a lot of great news how I felt. If that continues, I look forward to playing before the preseason is up.’’

Stoudemire would not identify the exact nature of the clean-up procedure he had in July, but said it wasn’t nearly as invasive as the two knee debridement surgeries he underwent last season.

He won’t make the first trip to Providence, Toronto and Manchester, N.H.

“Traveling these first [three] games is not very important,’’ Stoudemire said. “The most important thing is to stay here on a consistent basis to train in the comfort zone of the training center with the training staff, and when guys come back I should be a step further than when I left.’’

Carmelo Anthony waxed eloquent about Stoudemire’s travails, calling it “sad’’ and admitting he came to New York because of Stoudemire.

“One day, he’s here with us, another day he’s back inside rehabbing trying to get all the way right,’’ Anthony said. “I’d rather see him get all the way right. I know it’s taken a toll on him mentally and emotionally. As a friend. it’s hard for me to sit back and act like it doesn’t bother me. I know how much hard work he’s put into training and rehabbing. To go forward and take steps back, it’s sad.

“Right now, it seems like he’s in a very good mood,’’ Anthony added. “As far as him coming back, I don’t know about that [timetable]. I would love to see him start back up for us at the start of the season.’’

Coach Mike Woodson said the opener is on the radar now.

“He hasn’t had any setbacks, which is nice,’’ Woodson said. “I’m hoping he plays some. You have to gauge it and see. If he can play 10 minutes a game in the exhibition season, we’ll play him. That’s providing he doesn’t have any setbacks and continues the pace he’s on.’’
 3 years ago '04        #10434
space
space
Ian Begley

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- There were probably plenty of reasons why Carmelo Anthony wanted to play for the New York Knicks back in 2011.

Money, marketing, the opportunity to be the face of a franchise in a major city -- they all likely played a role.

But so did Amar'e Stoudemire.

Anthony says that the chance to play with Stoudemire was "one of the reasons I wanted to come to New York."

So it's difficult for Anthony to watch Stoudemire struggle with another knee injury.

"As a friend, it's hard for me to sit back and act like it doesn't bother me because I know how hard of a worker he is [and] I know the time that he puts in the gym to train and rehab," Anthony said Tuesday. "To see him go forward and then take some steps back every time, it's just sad."

Stoudemire will miss at least the Knicks' first three preseason games as he works his way through another knee ailment. The 11-year veteran is working his way back from a knee procedure over the summer -- his third in the last 12 months.

"I'm still getting stronger, still getting the legs strong enough to withstand the pressure of playing, but progress has been great so far," Stoudemire said.

The six-time All-Star was limited to just 29 regular season games last year thanks to two separate knee procedures. He also had microfracture surgery in 2005.

Anthony sometimes wonders if he'll ever get to play with Stoudemire when he's 100 percent healthy.

"Yeah, I think about it. I think about sometimes," he said Tuesday. "He was one of the reasons why I wanted to come to New York. So for me not to have that chance, the opportunity to get a full season in and get a rhythm going with him -- it's not something I thought would happen."

Critics have continually questioned whether Anthony and Stoudemire are a good pairing. Both players like to operate in similar spaces on the floor, and seem to hinder one another at times.

The Knicks are 45-44 in the regular season in games in which both Anthony and Stoudemire share the floor.

They are 2-11 in the postseason when Stoudemire and Anthony are on the floor together, though the Knicks' 1-2 mark last season is a bit misleading because Stoudemire was playing limited minutes.

Recent statistics aside, Stoudemire still believes he and Anthony can play well alongside one another.

He's also proud of the improvements the Knicks have made during his tenure.

"Since I've been in New York, we've made great progress for the organization. We are a team to watch. We have more TV games now than we had before. But on top of that we've been to the postseason every single year," Stoudemire said. "And that was a part of my goal of coming here: to build something that will allow us to improve. Unfortunately injuries played a factor after I was here that first year. But I do envision myself getting healthy and being able to dominate as I once did before."

When he was healthy, Stoudemire played well for New York last year.

He averaged 14 points and five rebounds in 23 minutes per game.

Anthony hopes that Stoudemire can do the same for the Knicks this season.

"It's another weapon that we need," Anthony said. "We could have used him last season at certain points. For him to get a fresh start off of this season, we need him. He's a big key to this team's success."

Anthony just hopes that Stoudemire can return to the floor at 100 percent health this time around.

"Because one day he's here with us and another day he's back rehabbing and training and trying to get right," Anthony said. "I think for him, I'd rather see him get back all the way right."
 3 years ago '08        #10435
AC_89 147 heat pts147
space
space
$33,785 | Props total: 5520 5520
After this year 1 more yr until that contract is up
 3 years ago '05        #10436
s1eepyboy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,228 | Props total: 1546 1546
THJ got crossssssssssssssssssssed by Fields b. CRAZY

[video - click to view]

3 - 1 STRK: 2 w in a row WIN PCT: 75% 114 (-2) 
  Career: | Aug 13: 94-60, Rank #50 | Aug 12: 34-21, Rank #101 | Aug 11: 41-32, Rank #129 | Aug 10: 89-44, Rank #86 *
 3 years ago '10        #10437
Agentzer0oo0 199 heat pts199
space
space
$65,269 | Props total: 10336 10336

Didn't know if you wanted to see so many words because it's a long read so I'll just leave the link. Zach really gave us that work, fantastic writer as usual (best sports writer today IMO).
 3 years ago '04        #10438
space
space
Ian Begley

New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony knows that he took a "huge risk" when he decided not to have surgery to repair a tear in his left shoulder and focused on rehabbing it instead.

But so far, he's "ecstatic" with the results.

Anthony admitted Saturday night that he played with a torn rotator cuff and partially torn labrum in his left shoulder late last season.

The injury hampered him in the final games of the regular season and in the playoffs.

Instead of going under the knife to fix his shoulder, Anthony opted in the offseason to try and fix the injury through an intensive rehab.

He's satisfied with current outcome.

"I'm ecstatic going from a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum to not needing surgery," Anthony told reporters in Manchester, N.H., on Saturday. "Let me take that back: taking a risk in not taking surgery and letting it heal on its own. I took a huge risk in doing that. It meant I had to put more time in the offseason to do what I had to do to get it right."

If he'd opted to have surgery, doctors told Anthony he would have missed the beginning of the season.

"I would have been out four, five months because of the severity of the tear," he said.

There's an inherent risk, of course, in deciding against surgery. Anthony's shoulder, presumably, is more susceptible to damage if he gets hit repeatedly this season. If he opted for surgery, his shoulder would have been 100 percent healthy when he hit the floor.

Anthony originally suffered the injury against the Indiana Pacers on April 14 in a collision near the basket. The injury was exacerbated in the Knicks' first-round series against Boston when Kevin Garnett yanked on his shoulder.

"I was a little naïve," Anthony said. "I kind of felt it was torn or something like that when it first happened. Once it happened, I knew something was wrong with it."

Anthony played through considerable discomfort in the postseason, and his shooting seemed to be affected.

He shot 40.9 percent from the floor in 12 postseason games after shooting 45 percent during the regular season.

"It was all types of stuff going on in there," Anthony said. "It was messed up."

Anthony never complained about the injury, nor did he use it as an excuse during the postseason -- though he admitted after the series was over that the injury affected him on the floor.

Early in the offseason, Anthony huddled with the Knicks medical staff to determine the next course of action.

"Everybody has their opinion and brought it to the table, everybody had their pros and cons," Anthony said. "[Surgery] was the last resort."

The Knicks may take precaution with Anthony this season. Coach Mike Woodson seems to be leaning toward playing Anthony more at small forward. This move could limit the contact Anthony endures because he would guard the opposing small forward rather than banging with the power forward.
 3 years ago '04        #10439
space
space
Ian Begley

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Mike Woodson hinted that Amar'e Stoudemire may not be allowed to play more than 20 minutes per game this season.

"We've just got to figure out if it's going to be 10 minutes, 15, 20. We won't know at this point until he's back on the floor and seeing how things are going," Woodson said Tuesday.

Stoudemire averaged 23.5 minutes per game last season, when he was limited to 30 minutes per game by the team's medical staff. The minutes limit proved prudent because Stoudemire needed a second knee surgery in March after he experienced soreness following a four-games-in-five nights stretch.

In two of those games, the 30-year-old Stoudemire played more than 30 minutes.

Stoudemire will likely be on a stricter minutes count this year.

"I thought we were really doing a pretty good job managing his minutes last season," Woodson said. "And they were, I thought, positive minutes in terms of helping us win basketball games when he was in there."

Stoudemire put up strong numbers when healthy last year, averaging 14.3 points and five rebounds in 29 regular season games. But as ESPN.com's Tom Haberstroh points out in his Knicks season preview, New York won 55.2 percent of its games with Stoudemire seeing action and 70.4 percent of its games without him.

Just how much the Knicks can get out of Stoudemire this season remains to be seen. He has missed the first three preseason games.

No one is sure if he will be ready for the season opener on Oct. 30. The 11-year veteran underwent an offseason knee procedure over the summer (his third in the past 12 months) so the Knicks are being cautious with him. Stoudemire's been running on the court but has yet to scrimmage with his teammates.
 3 years ago '04        #10440
space
space
Berman

BALTIMORE – Metta World Peace didn’t make the trip with a sprained left ankle and Iman Shumpert wished he hadn’t.

Shumpert left the game for good Thursday night with a sprained right elbow suffered early in the first quarter. His arm got entangled with Washington’s Bradley Beal driving, bending in a bad way. He motioned toward the bench and was replaced immediately, heading to the locker room. He emerged with his elbow in an ice bag and afterward had it wrapped.

Shumpert, who injured his shoulder earlier in camp, will be reevaluated Friday by team doctors.

“One of them things, we’ll see how it is [Friday. Hopefully it won’t swell up,’’ Shumpert said. “It was a nerve I hit. You hit the nerve, it tingles like that.’’

It hasn’t been determined if he will go for an MRI exam or if he will miss the next road trip to Toronto and Green Bay, Wis.

World Peace took a tumble during Wednesday’s scrimmage and limped off the court to the locker room. The Knicks said it was not serious, but it was serious enough for him to miss the trip.

“We just rested him,’’ Coach Mike Woodson said. “He stayed behind for treatment.’’

Carmelo Anthony made his homecoming return to Baltimore a successful one by dumping 22 points on the Wizards in a 98-89 preseason victory at a sold-out Baltimore Arena in front of 12,376 fans including his mother, Mary. Anthony shot 8-of-17 with four a.ssists.

It was the Wizards’ first game in Baltimore since 1999 as the franchise celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Baltimore Bullets’ birth, but Anthony stole the show, getting cheered heavily on every basket after receiving a nice ovation during pregame introductions.

“It felt like a home crowd, felt more like a charity game, with the way the crowd was,’’ Anthony said. Wednesday night, he was at the recreational center named after him in East Baltimore that he funded with a $1.5 million donation. .

PG Pablo Prigioni hyperextended his elbow in the third quarter and didn’t return. … Andrea Bargnani added 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting, and was a perfect 4-for-4 from the line. … Woodson sounded as if combo guard Tour’e Murry has locked up a roster spot after he scored 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting for his second straight bonanza game. Murry likely will take the spot that was supposed to go to disappointing rookie C.J. Leslie, who did not play. … Ike Diogu also increased his chances for the last big-man spot with a second straight powerful game (10 points, eight rebounds) while center Cole Aldrich was benched in the second half.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Was Born Ready. I'm Sure you can Guess What for
139 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Player Joe Mcknight Killed in Nawlins
301 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside He is the reason guns are made 🤕🤕
139 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This young startender flexible spanish mami who prefers melanin in her..
63 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chef Sharpens $1 Knife Making It As Good As A $1000 Knife
40 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside J.Cole "For Your Eyez Only" [Official Discussion/Anticipation]
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside I Watched The Funniest Standup Special Since Dave Chappelle's Killing E..
189 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX Member sends Ex GF an MK watch for her birthday
138 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy