New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This picture more rare than Papoose without a hat
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Soulja Boy - Beef (Quavo Diss)
41 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Soulja Boy Disses QUAVO AND MIGOS !!!!!!
141 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Reason why jeremih got kicked out of the tour and possible going to get..
46 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 years ago '04        #10221
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,670 | Props total: 2176 2176
Johnette Howard

Knicks center Tyson Chandler should've booked some summer instructional time with Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon by now rather than letting his statements at the end of the season -- or way he was outplayed by Roy Hibbert in the Knicks' playoff loss to the Indiana Pacers -- stand as his last words.

Amar'e Stoudemire, who is a far better scorer than Chandler, has already committed to seeing Olajuwon for a second straight summer. And now Knicks star Carmelo Anthony -- the NBA's No. 2 scorer, remember -- has said he will work with Olajuwon this offseason too.

That leaves Chandler -- the Knicks' frontcourt player who most needs the sort of help Olajuwon would provide -- passing on the same opportunity at a time when the Knicks know their greatest improvements are going to have to come from within. The Nets just swung a big trade for Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, too, threatening the Knicks' ability to defend their Atlantic Division title.

Yet instead of Chandler coming out and saying he plans to get himself to Olajuwon's Houston-area ranch like Stoudemire did for two weeks last summer, or even offering some explanation, like the painful neck problems that dogged him at the end of the year still needing time to heal, one of Chandler's representatives essentially told ESPNNewYork.com's Jared Zwerling the same thing Chandler said in late May, after the Knicks' season ended: Chandler has no plans to work with Olajuwon at this time.

It's a rare mistake on Chandler's part. A case of a smart guy making a bad read.

But it looks even worse given how Chandler complained about the Knicks' offense after Game 3 against Indiana, and again after they lost the series to the lower-seeded Pacers.

When Chandler suggested after Game 3 that unnamed teammates were playing selfishly -- which was taken as a criticism of Anthony, and perhaps J.R. Smith -- Knicks coach Mike Woodson tried to pass it off by saying sometimes it's good to have "bickering" among teammates. But Anthony, looking annoyed, said he was "mystified" by Chandler's remarks.

Days later, Woodson was more pointed after being told on the team's breakup day that Chandler went beyond discussing his role and offered up a general critique of the Knicks' offense and the coaching staff.

"I would like for us to develop some consistency with the offensive game plan," Chandler told reporters. "Right now we're a jump-shooting team. And I'd like us to have a free-flowing offense.

"Everybody, to a man, is going to have to come back better, including the coaches," Chandler added.

So what is Chandler waiting for? Woodson's response was a critique of his own. He acknowledged that Chandler's neck problems and bout with the flu at the end of the season affected his play, saying, "Tyson has to physically get back."

Then Woodson mentioned the wish list he gave Chandler in their exit talk.

"I think he has to get on a weight program and try to bulk up a little bit," Woodson said. "We have talked about that some, as well as trying to develop a little bit on the low block and feel good about it.

"He mentioned yesterday that he wants to establish something, and I want to help him because I think big guys should be able to catch the ball and play offense and rebound the ball instead of tapping it out," Woodson added. "Rebound the ball to go back up and perhaps get a foul or score a bucket."

Olajuwon isn't the only post-up guru Chandler could consult, it's true. But he played the same position. And if Olajuwon is a good enough tutor for the likes of Anthony -- and LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard in the past -- Chandler could definitely do worse.

When Olajuwon visited the Knicks' practice facility at Woodson's suggestion for a few days in September, Chandler said he'd hoped to book some time with Olajuwon last summer, but later had to forget the idea when he was chosen for the U.S. Olympic team.

So what's the holdup now?

The argument that the 30-year-old Chandler is what he is at this point in his career doesn't fly either.

Olajuwon doesn't buy it.

"You can see that he [Chandler] has great timing by the way he rebounds, blocks shots and catches lobs," he said during his visit. "He's got great timing and reflexes. I haven't seen him use any moves of his own, though. But there's no way a guy with that kind of talent and timing should not have effective moves."

Nobody is asking Chandler to become a 20-point scorer or the second coming of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar overnight. But look at it this way: NBA games are quite literally decided by a few buckets here and there. Last season, the Knicks averaged 100 points per game and gave up 95.7 points -- a scoring differential of plus-4.3 points per game. If Chandler averaged even a mere two or three more field goals a game, you think that wouldn't make a difference and keep defenses more honest?

The Knicks only ran true post-up plays on 8.3 percent of their possessions last season, according to Synergy Sports.

Chandler justifiably got and accepted a lot of credit for his leadership when he played on the Dallas Mavericks team that beat Miami for the 2011 NBA title. His reputation as a locker room presence and his defensive prowess were the major reasons the Knicks gave him his four-year, $58 million contract.

So it's a little mystifying that he'd whiff on this topic now.

The list of NBA All-Stars who believe in what Olajuwon offers is long.

But the name that's still missing on that list -- and shouldn't be -- remains Tyson Chandler's.
 3 years ago '07        #10222
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,886 | Props total: 168 168
^^^ been saying this n*gga Chandler needs to start beefing up, playing smarter, and get an offensive game... why won't he work w/ Hakeem when 2 of your best teammates are going to? smh at this house n*gga
 3 years ago '09        #10223
59fifty 
space
space
$16,334 | Props total: 2962 2962
Man itz too late to tryna add dat sh*t...Ty shoulda been on dat...don't come to my squad experimenting n sh*t...just do ya fu*kin job beeitch n learn how to catch da fu*kin rock 1st
 3 years ago '05        #10224
s1eepyboy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,232 | Props total: 1549 1549
What alot of people fail to realize is that....why is everybody stuck on only training with Hakeem to learn post moves...thats the cool and only thing to do now in the NBA i guess, right?
Chandler was never an offensive player...he's also the only n*gga on the team with a ring.
And offense is more than just hitting a jumpshot, isoing or doing a move in the post...pick and rolls, floor spacing, positioning etc all have to do with offense.

3 - 1 STRK: 2 w in a row WIN PCT: 75% 121 (-7) 
  Career: | Aug 13: 94-60, Rank #50 | Aug 12: 34-21, Rank #101 | Aug 11: 41-32, Rank #129 | Aug 10: 89-44, Rank #86 *
 3 years ago '07        #10225
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,380 | Props total: 277 277
 Born_Loser said:
can only imagine the possibilities on defense with Ronald and Shump on the floor together
Melo at the 4 that's a scary sight!

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 217 (-134) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 3 years ago '11        #10226
imtheman718 21 heat pts21
space
space
$3,683 | Props total: 240 240
 Born_Loser said:
Raja Bell worked out for the team and impressed.....thoughts?
Nah, we don't need another 2. We just resigned one and drafted another. We need to pick up one of these summer league bigs.
 3 years ago '11        #10227
King Henry 522 heat pts522
space
space
$41,169 | Props total: 4604 4604
Tony Mitchell (Alabama) is going ham in the Orlando league for Boston. He's on our summer league roster maybe he can get a spot on the team
 3 years ago '07        #10228
Chief|m 51 heat pts51
space
space
$18,901 | Props total: 982 982
i came here for the GOONIN'

but i'm staying for the COONIN'
 3 years ago '04        #10229
space
space
 Chixf Xscx said:
i came here for the GOONIN'

but i'm staying for the COONIN'
it's a beautiful thing
 3 years ago '04        #10230
space
space
Berman

LAS VEGAS — The Andrea Bargnani Era begins Wednesday with the Knicks, and the J.R. Smith Era formally rages on at least three more years at the Garden.

The Bargnani trade and Smith’s four-year, $24.7 million deal will finally be announced Wednesday, when the NBA’s free-agency signing period begins.

The Knicks were fairly lucky no team made an offer that blew Smith out of the water, according to his brother, Chris Smith.

“He’s better than a lot of guys who got bigger checks than him,’’ Chris Smith said at the Knicks’ first summer-league practice. “He’s a humble guy. He’ll keep working and we’ll see next time free agency comes around.’’

Chris Smith will be the Knicks summer-league team’s starting point guard after rehabbing from a knee patella tear suffered last training camp. J.R. Smith will come here this week to watch the first two games.

J.R. Smith has an opt-out after the third year. His market value took a hit after a poor postseason.

“His mood is great,’’ Chris Smith said of his brother. “He’s ready and willing and going to make his best run at a championship. Hopefully the Knicks come out on top and I’m a part of it.

“My goal is to get to training camp, make the team and have the brotherly tandem everyone’s talking about.’’

The cap-strapped Knicks are struggling to sign free agents from other teams and yesterday learned from agent David Falk they are no longer in the running for power forward Elton Brand. An NBA source said Brand’s market has risen higher than the Knicks can offer — the story of their summer.

Unless Metta World Peace decides not to retire, the Bargnani/Smith acquisitions will serve as the Knicks’ biggest splashes. The 7-foot sweet-shooting Italian didn’t live up to the enormous hype as the No. 1 overall pick in Toronto, but the Knicks believe he will thrive in the Big Apple without the grandiose expectations.

The Knicks haven’t been able to comment about Bargnani. According to a person familiar with their thinking, the franchise views Bargnani’s game sinking in Toronto his final three years as being related to Chris Bosh departing for the Heat.

Forced to be the biggest name on the club and the top scoring option, Bargnani wilted after enjoying his best days as second fiddle to Bosh.

With the Knicks, Bargnani will be at best a second option, maybe less. Carmelo Anthony has J.R. Smith, his wingman last season, and point guard Raymond Felton. Not that the Knicks don’t have big plans for Bargnani.

Bargnani might not start, but they envision him finishing games as a primary option down the stretch, especially when Smith is floundering. The Knicks also feel Bargnani’s presence will allow their offense to run at a faster tempo. They love his range and feel he can score in the low post.

“He’s a skilled big who can score around the basket and it will take weight off Tyson [Chandler],’’ Chris Smith said.

The Knicks were desperate for another big man who can score alongside Chandler. That’s because there are plans to put Amar’e Stoudemire on restrictions next season — possibly at 20 minutes a night and a major limit on him playing in back-to-backs.

The trade couldn’t become official until today due to Quentin Richardson’s sign-and-trade inclusion. Former longtime Olympia Milano head coach Dan Peterson said he thinks the Knicks hit the jackpot with Bargnani.

“I think the move to the Knicks is ideal for Andrea,’’ Peterson, who coached Mike D’Antoni in Italy said. “He’s been in Toronto for seven years and there are times when a player needs a fresh start.“I’ve always felt he was hurt by being the No. 1 pick in that one year [2006] when the high-school players all had to go one year to the NCAA. If [Greg] Oden and [Kevin] Durant and others would have been in that draft, Bargnani would not have gone No. 1 and would not have been weighed down by expectations.

“The Knicks won’t have to deal with that. They didn’t get him because he was No. 1. They got him because they think he can help them. Period.’’

Bargnani is in New York meeting with Knicks brass. He’s slated to play for the Italian National Team in the European Championships that begin Sept. 4.
 3 years ago '04        #10231
space
space
Berman

LAS VEGAS — Ron Artest Sr. is hoping if his son, Metta World Peace, is waived today via the amnesty rule, he will attempt to finish his career with the Knicks.

Nevertheless, Artest Sr. said as of last night, World Peace is seriously considering retiring instead of finishing his NBA career in the Big Apple.

Artest Sr. told The Post his son’s strong preference is to remain with the Lakers and he may decide to end his career instead of signing with the Knicks, because he does not want to uproot his kids in Los Angeles.

According to an Orange County Register report, the Lakers intended to waive World Peace. Subsequent reports stated no decision had been made. Kobe Bryant took to twitter Monday night, stating the club should keep World Peace and try to win a title with what they have.

Earlier in the day, Artest Sr. said, “He wants to stay with the Lakers for a couple of more years but if not, he wants to finish his career in New York if he can. This would be full circle.

By last night, the son was having a change of heart, feeling retirement would be best.

“I know he said he doesn’t want to play with a team like Milwaukee or Minnesota,’’ Artest Sr. said.

The Knicks are in search of a defensive small forward off the free-agent market and World Peace is intriguing to them. The Queensbridge product would seek the $1.4 million veteran’s minimum, which is basically what the Knicks have to offer. (They also have the remaining $1.7 million left of their mini mid-level.)

Artest Sr. said he still was hoping his son doesn’t retire and comes home.

“Let’s hope and pray it happens,’’ Artest Sr. said.

In 1999, the Knicks infamously passed on the former Ron Artest with their first-round pick to select French center Frederic Weis. The Lakers would save a good deal in salary and luxury tax, as World Peace is scheduled to making $7.7 million in his final season.

The Knicks and Nets would not get first crack at World Peace; teams under the cap would be eligible to bid on him first.

* The Knicks worked out 37-year-old veteran swingman Raja Bell Monday at their practice facility. One of Mike D’Antoni’s favorites, Bell skipped the 2012-13 season. ... With so many forward targets falling by the wayside, the Knicks have kept tabs of Hawks combo forward Anthony Tolliver, a good defender with 3-point range. But Tolliver is waiting on an offer from Atlanta.

* Iman Shumpert may only play the first three Summer League games. ... The Sixers named former Garden president Scott O’Neil as CEO. O’Neil stepped down last summer from the Knicks and faces a rebuilding project in Philadelphia, as he did when he started at MSG.

“You’ll see good growth,’’ O’Neil said. “We have a lot of tickets to sell, the sponsorship base needs to be grown. It’s the early stage. The fun is in the growth.’’

Asked about working for James Dolan, O’Neil said, “I’d work for him again.’’
 3 years ago '08        #10232
AC_89 147 heat pts147
space
space
$33,873 | Props total: 5571 5571
Luxury tax is $71.748 million. Amar'e, Melo, Tyson, Felton and Bargnani will make about $71.8 million

[video - click to view]

3 years ago '04        #10233
space
space
Putting it out there, Amundson is officially a free agent
 3 years ago '04        #10234
space
space
just gonna leave this here

@MettaWorldPeace

I love Hiking!!! Come join me!!

[pic - click to view]

3 years ago '04        #10235
space
space
Rodrigue Beaubois is now being considered
 3 years ago '05        #10236
WaveDoe 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$5,256 | Props total: 0 0
 Born_Loser said:
Rodrigue Beaubois is now being considered
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy though,

sign jr draft hardaway jr, prig locked in....and considering beaubois?

man i swear
 3 years ago '04        #10237
space
space
 WaveDoe said:
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy though,

sign jr draft hardaway jr, prig locked in....and considering beaubois?

man i swear
they want a 3rd PG and Hardaway will be used as a 2/3

i'm not with this signing since there's clearly more talent out there at the point
 3 years ago '04        #10238
space
space
for the most part, NYK is waiting for more teams to release/waive/get rid of talent
 3 years ago '04        #10239
space
space
Berman

LAS VEGAS — Tim Hardaway Jr. believes the Knicks netted two first-round picks during the June 27 NBA Draft.

The Knicks selected the Michigan shooting guard star at No. 24, and in a pleasant surprise to the organization, they were able to sign North Carolina State’s C.J. Leslie after he fell out of the draft.

The Knicks had the athletic 6-foot-9 combo forward on their board at 24. Hardaway and Leslie will debut tomorrow for the Knicks summer league team at UNLV.

“We played against each other in the [Big Ten]-ACC game,’’ Hardaway said. “He is really athletic. Played with a pro in John Wall [in prep school]. He got talent, athleticism, skill and potential to be a great player in this league. I’m surprised really [he fell out of the draft]. I thought he’d be drafted in the first round.’’

Leslie, who averaged 15.1 points his junior year, said the Knicks told him they were looking to trade up a few spots in the draft for him with the a.ssumption Hardaway would be gone.

“I was definitely surprised,’’ Leslie said. “I think everybody was surprised. It adds fuel to the fire. But I’m just trying to get past that draft.’’

Leslie said he only worked out for the Knicks and the Suns because of a jammed ligament in his hip that still isn’t 100 percent. He shut it down after the Knicks workout and that could have scared off some teams.

Scouts have told The Post Leslie occasionally didn’t have a high motor during games.

About seven teams looked to sign Leslie, but he chose the Knicks, who offered him a two-year deal at the league minimum.

“I felt like I connected with the coaches the most,’’ Leslie said. “I turned down better offers.’’

Regarding the scouting skeptics, Leslie said, “Every game I was supposed to show up in I showed up in. I don’t think it’s a question of my talent. I don’t know if they have a wrong impression. Stuff gets spread that’s not necessarily true. ‘’

Coach Mike Woodson said Leslie still has “a long ways to go.’’

* Woodson confirmed a Post report Amar’e Stoudemire will be on a minutes restriction next season.

The Knicks had talked about a 20-minute cap limit on the forward, and they also discussed limiting his playing in back-to-back games.

“Right now, as it stands, he’s going to be on some restrictions,’’ Woodson said. “What those restrictions will be, I don’t know yet.’’

Woodson said the Knicks are taking a new approach to Stoudemire this offseason, having him rest all summer instead of working out.

“The main thing with Amar’e, he needed rest,’’ Woodson said. “Last summer, he put in a lot of time. He worked his [butt] off last summer.’’

* Iman Shumpert was excused from the first two days of practices. Woodson said he would like to see him play some point guard during summer league. .... Forward Tyrus Thomas was waived by Charlotte and could be a Knicks target. ... Woodson confirmed Carmelo Anthony will not need shoulder surgery. Anthony said on June 27 surgery was no longer an option.

* Woodson on the Hardaway pick: “I was happy he was there when we picked. I think he’s got a high motor about him with a jump shot.’’
 3 years ago '04        #10240
space
space
Berman

LAS VEGAS - Saying he is “really starving to win’’, 7-foot Italian center Andre Bargnani believes he is joining a Knicks franchise that is destined to go far in the playoffs.

During a morning conference call, Bargnani sounded super excited about the change of scenery his trade from Toronto has brought. Bargnani even called his Raptors years “a weird experience.’’

Though Bargnani faced tons of pressure in Toronto because he was the No.1 overall pick, he will be under the microscope here because he’s essentially the Knicks’ marquee addition of summer. Still, at least he has Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith to take the load off.

“I’m not worried about second, third option,’’ Bargnani said this morning. “It’s all about winning here. Doing as much as possible. I’m really starving to win.

“I think we can play against anybody,’’ Bargnani added. “This team can go very far. I’m glad to be here. I just can’t wait to start.’’

And he couldn’t wait to be out of Canada.

“I had a weird experience in Toronto,’’ Bargnani said. “I had good years and the last couple of years were bad. When you lose there’s going to be frustration. I’m going to do as much as possible and everything I can to help this team win.’’

Bargnani played just 35 games last season because of wrist and elbow injuries, speeding up his departure. Knicks coach Mike Woodson said Bargnani needs to become a better rebounder. He’s averaged just 4.5 rebounds in his career.

“I got to get better in many aspects of the game,’’ Bargnani said. “I had so many injuries. Last year was tough for me. I’m looking forward to helping the team in many ways.’’

Bargnani was booed loudly in Toronto the past two seasons.

“It wasn’t easy,’’ Bargnani said. “Everyone was frustrated. There was a lot of frustration in Toronto because of the losing. When you’re the leading scorer of the team, you got all the pressure. They have their right to express their feelings.’’

Bargnani has no ill effects from last season’s ailments. He will begin training with the Italian National Team in August as it prepares for the European Championships Sept. 4.

“I’m 100 percent healthy now,’’ Bargnani said. “I’ll play with the national team this summer, training with the team and getting into shape. (The injuries) were a huge factor last year. It was really bad.’’

--

The Knicks have 10 players under contract and have yet to sign a free agent from another club because of their precious little money available under the new CBA rules. Knicks GM Glen Grunwald said on a conference call he is confident he’ll still be able to add a couple more “good players.’’ Grunwald said he expects more players to be waived because of the new luxury tax penalties. The Knicks are hoping Metta World Peace becomes an amnesty cut and clears through waivers. Charlotte forward Tyrus Thomas was waived via amnesty Wednesday. Grunwald also added he may bring just 13 guaranteed contracts to training camp, leaving two spots open for an unknown find like Chris Copeland….Grunwald also said he thought there was a chance Copeland could be re-signed, feeling he wouldn’t get an offer greater than they could pay him. But Copeland got a two-year, $6 million deal with the Pacers. Still, Grunwald said the “core rotation players’’ are back except Steve Novak. Apparently Grunwald didn’t view Copeland as a “core rotation player.’’ ... Knicks formally announced J.R. Smith's signing. Grunwald called it "one of our primary goals this offseason.''
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
154 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Best Buy Buy 2 Get 1 Free 12/4/16-12/10/16
50 comments
22 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Middle School Student in China Proposes to His Teacher, Gets Mercilessl..
39 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside University of Deleware
62 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
*UPDATE* 2 More Characters revealed for Marvel vs Capcom
46 comments
22 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Note 7 Recall Explained: Samsung Knew It Had A Dangerous Design And To..
25 comments
22 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
107 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy