New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
54 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Personality Test: What Did You See First?
46 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Melo IG post to his boss Phil Jackson
65 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'
39 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '08        #9861
AC_89 148 heat pts148
space
space
$33,900 | Props total: 5651 5651
So u not gonna say what u think might happen in the offseason born? u know u the godfather
 4 years ago '04        #9862
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,711 | Props total: 2231 2231
 dj ac said:
So u not gonna say what u think might happen in the offseason born? u know u the godfather
just waiting for the draft lottery sh*t tonight and for the playoffs to be over before i bother with that stuff
 4 years ago '04        #9863
space
space
Ian O'Connor

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Maybe Iman Shumpert should have been the one conducting the exit interviews. Maybe the 22-year-old should have been interrogating the 50-somethings running the New York Knicks, Glen Grunwald and Mike Woodson, who refuse to see what Shumpert and right-minded fans of all ages can see.

This team isn't building toward anything. The core Knicks aren't getting one year better in the spring of 2014, just one year older and slower. In fact, an executive who has done business with the Knicks predicted they wouldn't win 50 games next season, never mind 54.

"Not with all the injured stars returning to other teams in the East," he said. "Derrick Rose, Danny Granger, Rajon Rondo -- the Knicks aren't getting back anyone like that. I think they'll take a small step backward next year."

Now you know why Shumpert keeps calling a season that ended in a second-round loss to the Indiana Pacers "a failure." The kid looked up and down the league's oldest roster, saw how devastating injuries in other Eastern Conference places opened a clear road to Miami, and came to the sensible conclusion that the earlier exit is unacceptable, and that it isn't getting any easier from here.

The Knicks aren't the Golden State Warriors, with a young and gifted backcourt, or the Oklahoma City Thunder, with two superstars who haven't seen their 25th birthdays. Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler, and Amar'e Stoudemire debuted in the NBA as teenagers and have played a combined 33 seasons. Expecting them to flower into better players at this point is like expecting J.R. Smith to honor a 10 p.m. curfew.

No, it's not happening. So as Grunwald, the GM, and Woodson, the coach, sat at a conference table surrounded by reporters inside the team's practice facility Tuesday and insisted that a) this was the start of something special; and b) keeping this group intact makes sense because there's real room for improvement, they sounded a lot less convincing than Jim Boeheim sounded in The Syracuse Post-Standard when unloading on Anthony's supporting cast.

Somehow Woodson spoke of a "wonderful season" that was "a major step in the right direction." Grunwald said the franchise focus would be "to get our existing players better," neglecting to add that this focus is required because the Knicks are luxury tax payers locked into at least two more years with four players (Stoudemire, Marcus Camby, Jason Kidd and Steve Novak) they no longer want.

The Knicks can't acquire a Chris Paul in a sign-and-trade, not after Grunwald abandoned the once dreamy, Big Three plan of Melo-Stoudemire-Paul in New York by paying big for Chandler. And just when Grunwald amnestied Chauncey Billups to get Chandler, compromising the point guard position for a frontcourt that would theoretically stand as the league's best, Billups told ESPNNewYork.com the Knicks remained "probably a couple of pieces short" of being a true championship contender. Turns out he was right.

Anthony desperately needs a complementary star, and the veteran in-house candidates aren't up to the job. Stoudemire is a broken-down mess, and Smith -- a free agent expected to be re-signed -- unraveled in the postseason in every way you can unravel.

"When you really needed J.R., he was off chasing Rihanna or whatever," said one widely respected NBA executive. "All he did was reaffirm what everyone thought about him. The Knicks need a reliable second scorer, and it can't be Smith. It sure can't be Stoudemire, either."

So who will be that second star, if there is to be a second star at all? Several league executives said Shumpert had a chance to develop into Melo's best supporting actor, but those polled agreed that the Knicks' most glaring need is a big man who can score.

"They got absolutely nothing out of the 4 and 5 positions offensively against Indiana," said one, "and that k!lled them. Tyson Chandler and Kenyon Martin have no offensive games outside of the lob dunk, and when they're facing big players like Roy Hibbert and David West who do, that's a problem."

A second executive pointed out that all four teams in the conference finals -- Indiana, Miami (Chris Bosh), Memphis (Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol), and San Antonio (Tim Duncan) -- deploy big players who can score. Counting Anthony as a power forward in title only, and counting Stoudemire as another injury waiting to happen, the Knicks have no credible options in the post.

They have to find one, and preferably before Anthony decides whether to opt out of his contract next summer. With the capped-out Knicks a non-factor in free agency, and with Stoudemire's contract unmovable, the polled executives were asked to come up with realistic scenarios in the team's pursuit of a second star, preferably a skilled post guy. Here are their thoughts:

Kevin Love, Minnesota Timberwolves. An offer of Chandler and Shumpert for Love would work under NBA cap laws. "If I'm Minnesota I would definitely think about that one," said one executive. "I don't know if I'd do it, but I'd consider it. Love's had injury issues and he can opt out in the summer of 2015. I don't know if he wants to spend the rest of his career there."

A second executive cautioned that such a deal would be more likely if the ousted Timberwolves president, David Kahn, were still in place rather than the newcomer, Flip Saunders. Minnesota also has a talented center in Nikola Pekovic, a restricted free agent, whose signing would eliminate any need for Chandler. "People in the league still value Chandler, despite what happened in the Indiana series, and Shumpert is a very good young player with a very good contract," said the second executive. "The Knicks could package those two, but I don't see Flip doing anything. Love sees himself as a big star, he wants the big stage, and he's got the personality for New York, but I don't see Minnesota considering something like that now. Maybe in February at the trade deadline."

LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland Trail Blazers. Like Love, he's a star on a losing small-market team, and one who also becomes a free agent in 2015. "Portland's trying to renovate their team and build around Aldridge," said one executive, "so I don't think they'd do it because of his age [27]. I don't think Chandler and Shumpert would get him, but it might be worth a shot."

Another long-time league official said Chandler's disappearing act against Indiana would hurt the Knicks' chances of landing a player of Aldridge's caliber. "You generally don't win with defensive centers, but with offensive centers and people who put the ball in the basket," the official said. "Shumpert is definitely movable, but Chandler's a hard move."

Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers. Unlike Love and Aldridge, he's on the back nine of his prime. Gasol turns 33 in July. "I'm sure the Knicks can probably get him if they want him," one executive said, "assuming the Lakers re-sign Dwight Howard. But do the Knicks really want to add another older guy?"

Perhaps they do. Before the start of the season, Woodson made a point of telling reporters, "Young guys aren't winning an NBA title." This was before his old guys crumbled around him.

Woodson hasn't proven he can reach a conference final, never mind the Canyon of Heroes; he's now 2-12 in the conference semis in Atlanta and New York. It was no accident that Chandler said everyone around the Knicks had to improve, "including the coaches," or that Shumpert felt compelled to indict Woodson's offense as one full of "dead possessions" where the players "don't really have any cohesiveness."

The coach has a ways to go, and so does his roster. Grunwald can't swing and miss on the three-million-plus mid-level exception this time like he did on Kidd last time, and the Knicks can't make the mistake of believing that Chandler will get better by hitting the weight room, and that Stoudemire merely needs a few more classroom sessions with Hakeem Olajuwon.

"I think we can be creative," Grunwald said Tuesday in a break from his stay-the-course bunk. The Knicks had better get creative, or they'd better get busy praying Iman Shumpert explodes onto the scene next year the way Paul George did in Indiana this year.

Carmelo Anthony needs another star. He doesn't need a couple of 50-something men telling him a little time will heal this wound.
 4 years ago '04        #9864
space
space
Berman

It’s risky business, but Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald said Tuesday the major core of the roster will be back next season as the franchise banks on Amar’e Stoudemire’s knees and J.R. Smith’s head healing.

Grunwald confirmed the Knicks are unable to do a sign-and-trade for free agents Chris Paul or Dwight Howard because of new collective bargaining agreement rules forbidding luxury taxpayers from partaking in free agency. They only have the $3.1 million mini-midlevel exception, plus the 24th overall pick in June’s draft.

That $3.1 million exception could partially be used to keep their own free agents, Chris Copeland and Pablo Prigioni. The Knicks are permitted to deal Copeland or Prigioni in a sign-and-trade, however, but can only get back a trade exception, draft pick or cash. The Knicks can then use the trade exception, worth say, $3.2 million, to acquire another player under contract at that dollar amount.

So there’s not a whole lot of big stuff for Grunwald to do other than pray Stoudemire and Smith come back repaired. And the window is closing fast.

“We’re focused on now,’’ Grunwald said. “We’re trying to get to a championship as soon as possible. That’s where our strategy is right now.’’

Smith will opt out of his contract and become a free agent July 1 and the Knicks likely will re-sign him under the early-Bird rights rule for a contract starting at $5.4 million. Smith became the goat of the playoffs, losing his shot and reputation amid Rihanna’s allegations his on-court troubles were due to being “hung over.’’

“It’s best to maintain the continuity if there’s a reason you think you can get better,’’ Grunwald said in a state-of-the-Knicks press conference at the team’s Westchester County practice facility. “I think we can get better. I think we can play better than we did in the playoffs. That’s not to say we won’t explore all our alternatives. That’s my job.

“I’m disappointed in the season but I’m not discouraged about this team. I’m very excited about the future. Obviously we’ve got some work to do. We’re not where we want to be.’’

The Knicks’ championship dreams ended in the second round versus the Pacers, and a major roster upgrade is nearly impossible.

“We can be creative,’’ Grunwald said, referring to the signing and trading of the Knicks’ own free agents. “We’ve got ideas what we can do. We have to be aggressive, not only in players but in terms of existing players getting better.’’

Grunwald said he feels Carmelo Anthony can improve — he declined to say how — but mentioned the major key is Stoudemire, the $100 million man, staying healthy all season and returning to near All-Star form. Coach Mike Woodson wouldn’t rule out starting the six-time All-Star next season and shifting Anthony to small forward.
 4 years ago '04        #9865
space
space
Berman

Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald thought Mike Woodson should have won Coach of the Year this season. So he is hardly listening to fan and media complaints that Woodson had a bad playoff.

Woodson, 55, finished third in the Coach of the Year voting, won 54 games, the Atlantic Division title and the Eastern Conference’s second seed. Woodson’s regular-season record as Knicks coach is 72-34, but critics point to his playoff miscues. He never has been out of the second round in eight seasons as a head coach with the Knicks and Hawks.

The naysayers knock Woodson for his misuse of rookie Chris Copeland, his blind allegiance to slumping J.R. Smith, his insistence on forcing a rusty Amar’e Stoudemire into the rotation midstream and ignoring 3-point ace Steve Novak versus Indiana.

“I think Woody did a great job,’’ said Grunwald, an Indiana classmate of Woodson’s. “I think he’s my coach of the year still, although he finished third. He did an excellent job this year. We wound up where we didn’t want to be — out of the playoffs. We all have to take a look at ourselves from the front office to the coaching staff to the players.’’

Grunwald pointed out Tuesday that Woodson plowed on despite “a rough year’’ on the injury front — especially having to juggle major big-man injuries to Stoudemire, Rasheed Wallace and Marcus Camby, the midseason return of Iman Shumpert, losing starting point guard Raymond Felton for a month and Tyson Chandler in the homestretch.

Woodson was asked if he had any regrets from the Pacers second-round defeat. He didn’t name any.

“I’m my own biggest critic,’’ he said. “This was a great season for our team. No matter how you slice it and dice it. It’s the first time we a.ssembled the team. I thought we took a major step. Is there room for improvement?. Absolutely. Across the board, there is. But this was a positive season for our ballclub regardless of what anybody says.’’

Woodson has next season on his contract, but it is believed the third year of his pact is not fully guaranteed.

* Asked about Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim attacking the Knicks roster, going after Chandler and Pablo Prigioni, among others, Grunwald said, “Jim’s a great coach and he’s obviously very loyal to Melo. So I understand where his comments came from.’’ Boeheim stated the Knicks can’t win a title without getting better players around Carmelo Anthony.

* Anthony will undergo an MRI in the next day or so to see if there’s an injury beyond a strained shoulder. ... Woodson said the goal is to have Chandler work on his post game, put on more weight and also become a better offensive rebounder, instead of tapping the ball back. Grunwald said Chandler had lost as much as 12 pounds because of his strep throat in April and was never the same. The Post had reported Chandler had lost 10 pounds. ... Woodson said adding a low-post scorer could be on the offseason agenda.
 4 years ago '07        #9866
Chief|m 51 heat pts51
space
space
$18,946 | Props total: 1002 1002
STILL GOONIN' AND COONIN' INTO THE OFFSEASON
[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '04        #9867
space
space
Berman

Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald said Jason Kidd gave him no indication he was retiring during their exit interview Monday.

“We had a great meeting with Jason,’’ Grunwald said. “He was a big part of our success and we look forward to having him back next year.’’

Asked if Kidd, 40, hinted about having to reevaluate his future despite two years and $6.2 million left on his pact, Grunwald said, “Not yesterday. It sounded like he was coming back.’’

However, Mike Woodson piped in, “I thought he was [coming back] based on our conversation. But that could change, you never know.’’

Tyson Chandler, Kidd’s buddy, said Monday Kidd needed to have a fresh mind before thinking about his future. It’s unlikely Kidd would want to end his Hall-of-Fame career on a 10-game scoreless drought and two consecutive second-half benchings.

“It wasn’t his role to score,’’ Grunwald said. “He contributed in so many different ways, it’s hard to list. I don’t think that was a big factor in our struggles in the Indiana series. He probably would’ve liked to make a few of those shots, but he didn’t. That wasn’t the reason we lost.’’

Kidd is expected to spend much of the offseason in the Hamptons.
 4 years ago '04        #9868
space
space
 Chixf Xscx said:
STILL GOONIN' AND COONIN' INTO THE OFFSEASON
[pic - click to view]

not just a movement, it's a lifestyle
 4 years ago '04        #9869
space
space
Jared Zwerling

So how do you see this Knicks' roster unfolding this summer?

In the annual "Take 'Em or Trash 'Em" voting, Jason Kidd and Amar'e Stoudemire got the boot. Kidd didn't score in 208 straight minutes in the playoffs, and Stoudemire is due $21.68 million next season -- the highest on the team's payroll -- without even a guarantee from Mike Woodson that he'll start.

However, fans stood behind J.R. Smith and Tyson Chandler, even though they were basically no-shows in the Pacers series.

Here are the initial results for this season's voting, starting from the top with the owner:

James Dolan: TRASH (60 percent);
Take (40 percent)

Glen Grunwald: TAKE (77 percent);
Trash (23 percent)

Mike Woodson: TAKE (76 percent);
Trash (24 percent)

Carmelo Anthony: TAKE (93 percent);
Trash (7 percent)

Amar'e Stoudemire: TRASH (65 percent);
Take (35 percent)

Tyson Chandler: TAKE (79 percent); Trash (21 percent)

Raymond Felton: TAKE (81 percent); Trash (19 percent)

J.R. Smith: TAKE (60 percent); Trash (40 percent)

Iman Shumpert: TAKE (97 percent); Trash (3 percent)

Jason Kidd: TRASH (85 percent); Take (15 percent)

Kenyon Martin: TAKE (85 percent); Trash (15 percent)

Pablo Prigioni: TAKE (89 percent); Trash (11 percent)

Chris Copeland: TAKE (95 percent); Trash (5 percent)

Steve Novak: TAKE (62 percent); Trash (38 percent)

Marcus Camby: TRASH (71 percent); Take (29 percent)

James White: TRASH (94 percent); Take (6 percent)

Earl Barron: TRASH (89 percent); Take (11 percent)

Quentin Richardson: TRASH (94 percent); Take (6 percent)
 4 years ago '04        #9870
space
space
Based Hahn

As Glen Grunwald and the #Knicks consider JR Smith's future, we consider the alternatives. More:

In these situations, especially with the restrictions of a salary cap system, you must sete a price for the player. In this case, we'll put Smith at the market value for a Sixth Man of the Year winner based on past winners and set the cost at $5 million per year.

His positives are scoring (18 ppg), of course, along with an understated ability to be a capable defender. His negatives are inconsistency in both effort and focus, which almost balance the scale.

So is he worth the cost and committment (likely a 4-year deal)?

That all depends on the alternatives. Can you replace him? If so, with whom?

With no cap room to spend and only a taxpayer's mid-level exception ($3 million) to offer free agents, the choices are limited. But there are choices to consider if you decide to let Smith walk:

1. Replace him in the draft: The Knicks have the 24th overall pick ($963,600 in 2013-14). A few wing prospects include Tim Hardaway Jr., Glen Rice and Allen Crabbe. None are as good as Smith now, of course, but it would certainly save a lot of money.

2. Replace him in free agency: Will JJ Red!ck or Kyle Korver get $5M-$6M per year deals again or will their middle class status feel the hit under the new CBA rules? What about Mo Williams at this stage of his career? you can't ignore here, of course, is that you can re-sign Smith AND still use the MLE, which means filling two spots instead of one.

3. Trade for a shooting guard. There's not much to consider, however. This route also means you have to give up a player or two, which negatively impacts your roster (unless it's an all-star caliber player, of course). Keep in mind, the Knicks CAN NOT execute a sign-and-trade if they are $4M over the luxury tax threshold. Right now they estimate to be right at it, but we won't know for sure until the NBA releases the salary cap numbers for 2013-14.

4. Replace him internally: Iman Shumpert's emergence late in the season suggests he's back on the rise. The Knicks need to get more out of Steve Novak ($3.8M next season). Sometimes scoring doesn't have to come from one guy, but multiple players. Still, it is valuable to have at least one player you can rely on to give you double-figures off the bench each night. Chris Copeland has proven he can do that. However, he is an unrestricted free agent and the Knicks can only re-sign him with a veteran's minimum or their MLE.

With these four alternatives to re-signing Smith to consider, which, if any, makes the most sense to you?
 4 years ago '04        #9871
space
space
Berman

Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald thought Mike Woodson should have won Coach of the Year this season. So he is hardly listening to fan and media complaints that Woodson had a bad playoff.

Woodson, 55, finished third in the Coach of the Year voting, won 54 games, the Atlantic Division title and the Eastern Conference’s second seed. Woodson’s regular-season record as Knicks coach is 72-34, but critics point to his playoff miscues. He never has been out of the second round in eight seasons as a head coach with the Knicks and Hawks.

The naysayers knock Woodson for his misuse of rookie Chris Copeland, his blind allegiance to slumping J.R. Smith, his insistence on forcing a rusty Amar’e Stoudemire into the rotation midstream and ignoring 3-point ace Steve Novak versus Indiana.

“I think Woody did a great job,’’ said Grunwald, an Indiana classmate of Woodson’s. “I think he’s my coach of the year still, although he finished third. He did an excellent job this year. We wound up where we didn’t want to be — out of the playoffs. We all have to take a look at ourselves from the front office to the coaching staff to the players.’’

Grunwald pointed out Tuesday that Woodson plowed on despite “a rough year’’ on the injury front — especially having to juggle major big-man injuries to Stoudemire, Rasheed Wallace and Marcus Camby, the midseason return of Iman Shumpert, losing starting point guard Raymond Felton for a month and Tyson Chandler in the homestretch.

Woodson was asked if he had any regrets from the Pacers second-round defeat. He didn’t name any.

“I’m my own biggest critic,’’ he said. “This was a great season for our team. No matter how you slice it and dice it. It’s the first time we a.ssembled the team. I thought we took a major step. Is there room for improvement?. Absolutely. Across the board, there is. But this was a positive season for our ballclub regardless of what anybody says.’’

Woodson has next season on his contract, but it is believed the third year of his pact is not fully guaranteed.

* Asked about Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim attacking the Knicks roster, going after Chandler and Pablo Prigioni, among others, Grunwald said, “Jim’s a great coach and he’s obviously very loyal to Melo. So I understand where his comments came from.’’ Boeheim stated the Knicks can’t win a title without getting better players around Carmelo Anthony.

* Anthony will undergo an MRI in the next day or so to see if there’s an injury beyond a strained shoulder. ... Woodson said the goal is to have Chandler work on his post game, put on more weight and also become a better offensive rebounder, instead of tapping the ball back. Grunwald said Chandler had lost as much as 12 pounds because of his strep throat in April and was never the same. The Post had reported Chandler had lost 10 pounds. ... Woodson said adding a low-post scorer could be on the offseason agenda.
 4 years ago '04        #9872
space
space
Berman

It’s risky business, but Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald said Tuesday the major core of the roster will be back next season as the franchise banks on Amar’e Stoudemire’s knees and J.R. Smith’s head healing.

Grunwald confirmed the Knicks are unable to do a sign-and-trade for free agents Chris Paul or Dwight Howard because of new collective bargaining agreement rules forbidding luxury taxpayers from partaking. They only have the $3.1 million mini-midlevel exception, plus the 24th overall pick in June’s draft.

That $3.1 million exception could partially be used to keep their own free agents, Chris Copeland and Pablo Prigioni. The Knicks are permitted to deal Copeland or Prigioni in a sign-and-trade, however, but can only get back a trade exception, draft pick or cash. The Knicks can then use the trade exception, worth say, $3.2 million, to acquire another player under contract at that dollar amount.

So there’s not a whole lot of big stuff for Grunwald to do other than pray Stoudemire and Smith come back repaired. And the window is closing fast.

“We’re focused on now,’’ Grunwald said. “We’re trying to get to a championship as soon as possible. That’s where our strategy is right now.’’

Smith will opt out of his contract and become a free agent July 1 and the Knicks likely will re-sign him under the early-Bird rights rule for a contract starting at $5.4 million. Smith became the goat of the playoffs, losing his shot and reputation amid Rihanna’s allegations his on-court troubles were due to being “hung over.’’

“It’s best to maintain the continuity if there’s a reason you think you can get better,’’ Grunwald said in a state-of-the-Knicks press conference at the team’s Westchester County practice facility. “I think we can get better. I think we can play better than we did in the playoffs. That’s not to say we won’t explore all our alternatives. That’s my job.

“I’m disappointed in the season but I’m not discouraged about this team. I’m very excited about the future. Obviously we’ve got some work to do. We’re not where we want to be.’’

The Knicks’ championship dreams ended in the second round versus the Pacers, and a major roster upgrade is nearly impossible.

“We can be creative,’’ Grunwald said, referring to the signing and trading of the Knicks’ own free agents. “We’ve got ideas what we can do. We have to be aggressive, not only in players but in terms of existing players getting better.’’

Grunwald said he feels Carmelo Anthony can improve — he declined to say how — but mentioned the major key is Stoudemire, the $100 million man, staying healthy all season and returning to near All-Star form. Coach Mike Woodson wouldn’t rule out starting the six-time All-Star next season and shifting Anthony to small forward.
 4 years ago '04        #9873
space
space
“If The Knicks were a blackjack hand, they’d be an 18. It’s a good hand, not a great hand. No matter what the dealer was showing, you’d get a chorus of groans if you decided to hit on it. The dealer would make sure you were serious. The pit boss might come over for an opinion. You sure, sir?

Well, if you play by the book, you sit, you stick with your 18, even if the dealer has a King, even if you know, in your heart of hearts, that the odds say another face card is sure to come. And when that happens you shrug your shoulders and you move on. If you’re sitting at the table, you’re probably in for a couple hundred hands.
And that’s the problem with the Knicks.”

“If The Knicks were a blackjack hand, they’d be an 18. It’s a good hand, not a great hand. No matter what the dealer was showing, you’d get a chorus of groans if you decided to hit on it. The dealer would make sure you were serious. The pit boss might come over for an opinion. You sure, sir?

Well, if you play by the book, you sit, you stick with your 18, even if the dealer has a King, even if you know, in your heart of hearts, that the odds say another face card is sure to come. And when that happens you shrug your shoulders and you move on. If you’re sitting at the table, you’re probably in for a couple hundred hands.
And that’s the problem with the Knicks.”

When asked on ESPN Radio, however, Grunwald said the opposite.

“You can trade players, but I don’t think that’s our focus,” Grunwald said Tuesday when asked about the possibility of a sign-and-trade. “Our focus is to continue to build this core team. Some continuity, some familiarization, further growth as individuals and as a team, I think that’s what we have to do.”

So think about what just happened there. Utter confusion. The Knicks CAN make a sign and trade this offseason and Glen said as much. We know the Knicks have gone at great lengths to remain flexible, but what Grunwald just said was that their focus will be on the “core” of the team.

Complete and udder hyperbole.

The follow up should have been, “Well who do you consider those core players?” The answer to who that core is aside from Melo and Tyson Chandler is anyone’s guess. Could they make a sign and trade to add to that core? Absolutely. Is it likely? Who really knows? Who knew that Grunwald would be able to make the Chandler deal a few years back a deal absolutely no one saw that coming and whether you were a fan of it at the time or not, you have to say it was a pretty sly move from the Knicks quiet and unassuming GM.

Many people will talk about Glen’s relationship with Isiah Thomas, but he really sharpened his executive skills when Donnie Walsh was here as the team put together the plan that led to this 54-win season. Walsh was known as a pretty good poker player leading up to the Melo deal.

In my opinion I simply don’t see this team standing pat. Too many signs point to them making improvements. They’ve been strict and disciplined from a cap space perspective, I believe, for a reason and the biggest decision off the bat is what to do with JR Smith, whom Grunwald was non-committal when talking about yesterday.

“I’m not going to comment on any individual player because we’re not finished with our evaluation,” he said Tuesday. “I don’t think you should read that one way or another [about Smith].

Got that? JR may or may not be back with the Knicks next year but the better question, again, is is he really a “core” member? Is Shumpert? You’d think after several playoff outbursts overshadowing an overall pretty average playoff series numbers-wise, you’d a.ssume he definitely is. But don’t Shump and JR play the same position? It would stand to reason based off what you saw in that 3rd quarter that you’d like to give Shump more minutes next year and, while you could play him with JR at the 2/3, I don’t think that fits with what Glen said about them wanting to play bigger with Melo. I don’t think that matches with Woodson’s plotting “protect possessions” at all costs philosophy especially when you consider Jason Kidd’s value in that offensive mindset. Granted, you’d expect Kidd’s minutes to drop and Pablo Prigioni may go back overseas, but are the Knicks ready to commit 30-35 minutes per for both Smith and Shump?

“Grunwald said the Knicks may look at offensive sets that feature Carmelo Anthony at small forward next season. Anthony played almost exclusively at power forward this season. He was able to exploit matchups against bigger, slower defenders en route to his first NBA scoring title.

But Grunwald said the Knicks may look to play bigger lineups next season that would feature Anthony at small forward, his natural position.

“I think that’s something [Woodson] can look at next year,” Grunwald said.

Don’t forget they also have a first round pick to add to the rotation too. If you commit to JR for 4 or 5 years what does that say about Shumpert, who is ready to pounce on his 3rd year as he pushes for a new contract? Shumpert’s camp reportedly caused a stir with his usage already and if he’s going to get a bigger contract he needs to put up bigger numbers and with bigger numbers he’ll need more shots and obviously more minutes. Doesn’t it stand to reason that JR may stand in the way?

The bottom line is I believe Grunwald has a plan and that is to obviously improve the team. We’ve seen him fly under the radar and execute on deals before. Despite people, especially in the media, believing that the Knicks are stuck and don’t have any ways to improve, I choose to believe that the team knows the clock is ticking and has remained flexible for a reason.

Chris Paul or no Chris Paul.
 4 years ago '04        #9874
space
space
Ian Begley

Of course the Knicks should go after Chris Paul.

If you have championship aspirations and there is a player available who can lift you to a title, it's your responsibility to at least inquire about that player.

Sure, they have a solid point guard in Raymond Felton. But this has nothing to do with Felton.

In short, Paul would transform the Knicks' offense. He could strike a balance between letting Carmelo Anthony operate in isolation and running the pick-and-roll.

He also would be the solid secondary scorer the Knicks currently lack. And he'd turn J.R. Smith into a third option, which is where he'd be at his best.

So, yes, the Knicks absolutely should pursue Paul. But going after him and landing him are two very different things.

First, Paul would need to tell the Clippers that there was no way he'd re-sign there, forcing them to execute a sign-and-trade to the Knicks.

If you take the $82 million we a.ssume the Knicks will be committed to for 2013-14 and add another $18.7 million -- the amount Paul will earn in the first year of his deal -- you get $100.7 million. The Knicks' total salary will need to be under $75.5 million after the Paul trade to make a sign-and-trade work under the current CBA rules. So they'd have to send out $25.2 million to make it work.

Let's say they send Amar'e Stoudemire ($21.7 million) and Raymond Felton ($3.6 million) to the Clippers. They then could take back Paul.

But why would the Clippers do that deal? They wouldn't. Unless Paul forced their hand. So it's highly unlikely that Paul ends up with the Knicks. But they should at least give the Clippers a call.
 4 years ago '04        #9875
space
space
Jared Zwerling

One question: When was the last time an NBA team won a championship with an elite point guard?

It was 23 years ago, when Isiah Thomas led the Pistons to the 1990 title. Consider this. When the Spurs won on the biggest stage, Tony Parker was maybe a borderline top-10 point guard.

While Olympian Chris Paul obviously would help the Knicks with his vocal leadership, defense, transition and half-court playmaking -- and his ability to hit clutch shots -- their focus should be on upgrading their big-man depth.

Because the bulk of the Knicks' scoring comes mostly from outside shooters Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith, and the team uses a perimeter-oriented offense, they need a better inside presence for rebounding and second-chance opportunities. Those two things doomed them in the series against the Pacers.

"If Melo and J.R. are going to win, it's with young, athletic bigs who do the dirty work and protect the rim and finish," a veteran NBA scout said. "Playing with an elite point guard would be problematic because those guys would have to change their games too much."

Right now, Tyson Chandler and Marcus Camby are the Knicks' only foundation down low. That's definitely not going to cut it.

As far as the Knicks' point-guard depth goes, Raymond Felton plays well on both ends of the floor, and he elevated his game at the right time in the playoffs. In addition, Iman Shumpert will be a bigger and better facilitator next season. Mike Woodson said "the sky is the limit for that kid." The Knicks, however, do need a better backup -- Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni are only getting older -- who can help them establish a faster pace, make plays off the dribble and create his own shot.

But the Knicks don't need Paul. GM Glen Grunwald conceded on Tuesday that it's highly unlikely the Knicks will get under the tax line this summer, therefore no sign-and-trades for Paul.

So let's all put the CP3 dreams to bed, and focus on the Knicks' need to add bigs.
 4 years ago '04        #9876
space
space
but if u must know, Gorgui Dieng & Dario Saric are two guys i'm expecting NYK to be interested in
 4 years ago '07        #9877
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,892 | Props total: 181 181
Shane Larkin or Gorgui Dieng

...that's all folks...
 4 years ago '04        #9878
space
space
Berman

Say it’s so, Pablo!

Knicks rookie point guard Pablo Prigioni said on Argentine radio Wednesday his preference is to remain in the NBA next season rather than return to the Spanish League and his wife is OK with it.

“If I can choose, I prefer to play in the United States and stay in the NBA,’’ Prigioni said.

According to Argentine sportswriter Julian Mozo of Ole’ Newspaper, in the radio interview Prigioni, 35, denied his wife wants him to return to the Spanish League next season and claimed she likes New York. Nevertheless, Prigioni revealed he won’t play for Team Argentina in the World Cup qualifier this summer because of his family.

Prigioni will be a free agent on July 1. The Knicks would have to dip into their $3.1 million mid-level exception to match an offer from another team, as Prigioni will be a restricted free agent.

Prigioni’s agent, George Bass, is expected to seek a one-year deal worth about $2 million. The Knicks could include Prigioni in a sign-and-trade and receive back a trade exception. There’s a possibility San Antonio will have interest because Prigioni is close friends with fellow countryman Manu Ginobili.

Prigioni signed just a one-year deal so he would have better leverage this summer if he chose to remain in the NBA.
 4 years ago '04        #9879
space
space
Berman

The Knicks’ 1-2 scoring tandem was truly hurting in the ill-fated Pacers series.

Not only did Carmelo Anthony play with what an MRI exam Wednesday revealed was a partial tear in his left shoulder, but The Post has learned J.R. Smith’s nightmarish playoff performance was partly because of a swollen left knee that contained fluid buildup.

According to a league source, Smith likely will have his knee drained of the fluid in the next two weeks — the same procedure Anthony underwent in March. So Smith’s struggles weren’t only about his sharp elbow in the Celtics series, alleged hangover and viral infection.

Meanwhile, Anthony’s MRI exam showed he had played in the playoffs with a small, partial tear in his shoulder, but the Knicks don’t expect him to need surgery, according to a league source.

Anthony has been prescribed rest and physical therapy for a month to allow the shoulder to heal. Had the shoulder sustained a full labrum tear, surgery would have been required. Now it’s unlikely.

Smith had played with a swollen knee since March, but it acted up severely in the playoffs. The swollen knee is the same condition Anthony dealt with this season until he finally had it taken care of. The Knicks called Anthony’s issue “soft tissue fluid collection.’’

“[Smith’s] been playing hurt,” the league source said. “He probably should’ve sat out a couple of games. It’s what Melo had. That’s why he wasn’t driving the ball like he was. That’s why his jump shot wasn’t right, not having the lift.’’

Anthony injured his shoulder late in the regular season in a scramble with Indiana’s David West and aggravated it in the Boston series when Kevin Garnett tugged on it. Anthony wore a shoulder strap during the Pacers series and said Monday he was in pain throughout that series.

“It was bothering me since it happened,’’ Anthony said Monday. “There was pain. It came to the point you try not to think about it.’’

Smith, expected to opt out of his contract and become a free agent July 1, acknowledged the knee soreness in March. He downplayed it, but wore knee sleeves on both legs, keeping the swelling covered.

Smith was checked out by team doctors before the playoffs and considered draining the knee then, according to the source.

Smith’s stiff knee had gotten better in late March, but worsened entering the playoffs. He shot 29 percent in his final eight playoff games, drawing the sound and the fury of the Garden fans.

The irony is his shooting slump occurred directly after he served a one-game suspension for elbowing Boston’s Jason Terry during Game 3 of the Knicks’ first-round series with the Celtics.

Smith’s image took a further blow when his former friend, Rihanna, stated on her Instagram account that his playoff woes stemmed from his being “hung over.’’ Rihanna deleted the post after a request from CAA superagent Leon Rose, who represents Smith.

Smith was stand-up across his playoff disaster.

“They tried to rely on me, and I didn’t step up,” he said after Saturday’s Game 6 elimination. “Regardless of what that says about me or my game, that won’t happen again.”

The Knicks can offer Smith a contract that starts at $5.4 million because they own his early-Bird rights. Smith said he “wants to retire a Knick’’ and also play with his brother, Chris, who was with the Knicks in training camp but missed the entire season due to a knee injury. The younger Smith also has hired Rose as his agent.

Nevertheless, people in the know say Smith will have to leave the Knicks if another team blows away their offer. If another offer is higher but comparable, Smith would take less money and stay.

Anthony raved about Smith after his exit meeting Monday, and said he hopes he’ll be back.

“J.R. is a special player,’’ Anthony said. “To me, he made a huge step as a basketball player. We look forward to that, [for him to] come out and be focused the way he was to win the Sixth Man of the Year award, help us win the division. He’s definitely a big plus to this team. I definitely would love him back here.’’
 4 years ago '04        #9880
space
space
Ian Begley

Back in April, Phil Jackson praised the Knicks. He went as far as to say they could challenge for the NBA title.

Now? Not so much.

In an interview with the New York Times, the Zen Master hinted that the Knicks are a ways away from winning an NBA crown.

“The Knicks still have to find some accommodating group of guys that know how to play ball together, move the ball, play the game the right way,” he said.

The Knicks lost in the second round of the playoffs to the Indiana Pacers. The Pacers were the lower seed, but defended New York's isolation-heavy attack and beat the Knicks up on the boards.

Jackson said he thinks the team’s star, Carmelo Anthony, is “an amazing ballplayer who still has another level to step up,” according to the Times.

Last summer, when many wondered whether the Knicks would pursue Jackson to fill their coaching vacancy, the 11-time NBA champ called New York’s pairing of Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire “clumsy.”

In his interview with the Times, Jackson hinted that he’d prefer the Brooklyn Nets’ roster over the Knicks’ because of Nets stars Deron Williams and Brook Lopez.

“With Brooklyn, if you’ve got a point guard and a solid center, or a good point guard and a great center, you’ve got two of the pieces that you want to have toward a champion,” Jackson said.

Jackson, who is making the media rounds to promote his book, "Eleven Rings," said Tuesday that the best job offer he has received recently was to coach the Nets.

But Jackson turned the Nets down and insisted that he is finished coaching during an interview Tuesday with "The Dan Patrick Show."

Still, he added that he was intrigued by the Nets' offer.

"Well, the Brooklyn situation is a good situation," Jackson said during the interview.

Question: Do you agree with Jackson? Do the Nets have a better roster than the Knicks?

Do the Knicks lack players who know how to “play the game the right way”?
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
47 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
175 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
244 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
57 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Trevor Noah Spittin Real on The Breakfast Club
75 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside YouTube superstar PewDiePie vows to DELETE his channel once he hits 50m..
65 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Keep it 100: Would you jump in this 3some
72 comments
24 hours ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy