New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bambino Gold Body Finally Found......R.I.P.
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Moneybagg Yo DISSES NBA Youngboy
50 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
OT Feminists Are About to Come After Gabby Douglas
125 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA John Wall back to being flabby and sick
60 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '04        #9861
Born_Loser|M 99 heat pts99
space
space
$42,215 | Props total: 3710 3710
Based Hahn

As Glen Grunwald and the #Knicks consider JR Smith's future, we consider the alternatives. More:

In these situations, especially with the restrictions of a salary cap system, you must sete a price for the player. In this case, we'll put Smith at the market value for a Sixth Man of the Year winner based on past winners and set the cost at $5 million per year.

His positives are scoring (18 ppg), of course, along with an understated ability to be a capable defender. His negatives are inconsistency in both effort and focus, which almost balance the scale.

So is he worth the cost and committment (likely a 4-year deal)?

That all depends on the alternatives. Can you replace him? If so, with whom?

With no cap room to spend and only a taxpayer's mid-level exception ($3 million) to offer free agents, the choices are limited. But there are choices to consider if you decide to let Smith walk:

1. Replace him in the draft: The Knicks have the 24th overall pick ($963,600 in 2013-14). A few wing prospects include Tim Hardaway Jr., Glen Rice and Allen Crabbe. None are as good as Smith now, of course, but it would certainly save a lot of money.

2. Replace him in free agency: Will JJ Red!ck or Kyle Korver get $5M-$6M per year deals again or will their middle class status feel the hit under the new CBA rules? What about Mo Williams at this stage of his career? you can't ignore here, of course, is that you can re-sign Smith AND still use the MLE, which means filling two spots instead of one.

3. Trade for a shooting guard. There's not much to consider, however. This route also means you have to give up a player or two, which negatively impacts your roster (unless it's an all-star caliber player, of course). Keep in mind, the Knicks CAN NOT execute a sign-and-trade if they are $4M over the luxury tax threshold. Right now they estimate to be right at it, but we won't know for sure until the NBA releases the salary cap numbers for 2013-14.

4. Replace him internally: Iman Shumpert's emergence late in the season suggests he's back on the rise. The Knicks need to get more out of Steve Novak ($3.8M next season). Sometimes scoring doesn't have to come from one guy, but multiple players. Still, it is valuable to have at least one player you can rely on to give you double-figures off the bench each night. Chris Copeland has proven he can do that. However, he is an unrestricted free agent and the Knicks can only re-sign him with a veteran's minimum or their MLE.

With these four alternatives to re-signing Smith to consider, which, if any, makes the most sense to you?
 4 years ago '04        #9862
space
space
Berman

Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald thought Mike Woodson should have won Coach of the Year this season. So he is hardly listening to fan and media complaints that Woodson had a bad playoff.

Woodson, 55, finished third in the Coach of the Year voting, won 54 games, the Atlantic Division title and the Eastern Conference’s second seed. Woodson’s regular-season record as Knicks coach is 72-34, but critics point to his playoff miscues. He never has been out of the second round in eight seasons as a head coach with the Knicks and Hawks.

The naysayers knock Woodson for his misuse of rookie Chris Copeland, his blind allegiance to slumping J.R. Smith, his insistence on forcing a rusty Amar’e Stoudemire into the rotation midstream and ignoring 3-point ace Steve Novak versus Indiana.

“I think Woody did a great job,’’ said Grunwald, an Indiana classmate of Woodson’s. “I think he’s my coach of the year still, although he finished third. He did an excellent job this year. We wound up where we didn’t want to be — out of the playoffs. We all have to take a look at ourselves from the front office to the coaching staff to the players.’’

Grunwald pointed out Tuesday that Woodson plowed on despite “a rough year’’ on the injury front — especially having to juggle major big-man injuries to Stoudemire, Rasheed Wallace and Marcus Camby, the midseason return of Iman Shumpert, losing starting point guard Raymond Felton for a month and Tyson Chandler in the homestretch.

Woodson was asked if he had any regrets from the Pacers second-round defeat. He didn’t name any.

“I’m my own biggest critic,’’ he said. “This was a great season for our team. No matter how you slice it and dice it. It’s the first time we a.ssembled the team. I thought we took a major step. Is there room for improvement?. Absolutely. Across the board, there is. But this was a positive season for our ballclub regardless of what anybody says.’’

Woodson has next season on his contract, but it is believed the third year of his pact is not fully guaranteed.

* Asked about Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim attacking the Knicks roster, going after Chandler and Pablo Prigioni, among others, Grunwald said, “Jim’s a great coach and he’s obviously very loyal to Melo. So I understand where his comments came from.’’ Boeheim stated the Knicks can’t win a title without getting better players around Carmelo Anthony.

* Anthony will undergo an MRI in the next day or so to see if there’s an injury beyond a strained shoulder. ... Woodson said the goal is to have Chandler work on his post game, put on more weight and also become a better offensive rebounder, instead of tapping the ball back. Grunwald said Chandler had lost as much as 12 pounds because of his strep throat in April and was never the same. The Post had reported Chandler had lost 10 pounds. ... Woodson said adding a low-post scorer could be on the offseason agenda.
 4 years ago '04        #9863
space
space
Berman

It’s risky business, but Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald said Tuesday the major core of the roster will be back next season as the franchise banks on Amar’e Stoudemire’s knees and J.R. Smith’s head healing.

Grunwald confirmed the Knicks are unable to do a sign-and-trade for free agents Chris Paul or Dwight Howard because of new collective bargaining agreement rules forbidding luxury taxpayers from partaking. They only have the $3.1 million mini-midlevel exception, plus the 24th overall pick in June’s draft.

That $3.1 million exception could partially be used to keep their own free agents, Chris Copeland and Pablo Prigioni. The Knicks are permitted to deal Copeland or Prigioni in a sign-and-trade, however, but can only get back a trade exception, draft pick or cash. The Knicks can then use the trade exception, worth say, $3.2 million, to acquire another player under contract at that dollar amount.

So there’s not a whole lot of big stuff for Grunwald to do other than pray Stoudemire and Smith come back repaired. And the window is closing fast.

“We’re focused on now,’’ Grunwald said. “We’re trying to get to a championship as soon as possible. That’s where our strategy is right now.’’

Smith will opt out of his contract and become a free agent July 1 and the Knicks likely will re-sign him under the early-Bird rights rule for a contract starting at $5.4 million. Smith became the goat of the playoffs, losing his shot and reputation amid Rihanna’s allegations his on-court troubles were due to being “hung over.’’

“It’s best to maintain the continuity if there’s a reason you think you can get better,’’ Grunwald said in a state-of-the-Knicks press conference at the team’s Westchester County practice facility. “I think we can get better. I think we can play better than we did in the playoffs. That’s not to say we won’t explore all our alternatives. That’s my job.

“I’m disappointed in the season but I’m not discouraged about this team. I’m very excited about the future. Obviously we’ve got some work to do. We’re not where we want to be.’’

The Knicks’ championship dreams ended in the second round versus the Pacers, and a major roster upgrade is nearly impossible.

“We can be creative,’’ Grunwald said, referring to the signing and trading of the Knicks’ own free agents. “We’ve got ideas what we can do. We have to be aggressive, not only in players but in terms of existing players getting better.’’

Grunwald said he feels Carmelo Anthony can improve — he declined to say how — but mentioned the major key is Stoudemire, the $100 million man, staying healthy all season and returning to near All-Star form. Coach Mike Woodson wouldn’t rule out starting the six-time All-Star next season and shifting Anthony to small forward.
 4 years ago '04        #9864
space
space
“If The Knicks were a blackjack hand, they’d be an 18. It’s a good hand, not a great hand. No matter what the dealer was showing, you’d get a chorus of groans if you decided to hit on it. The dealer would make sure you were serious. The pit boss might come over for an opinion. You sure, sir?

Well, if you play by the book, you sit, you stick with your 18, even if the dealer has a King, even if you know, in your heart of hearts, that the odds say another face card is sure to come. And when that happens you shrug your shoulders and you move on. If you’re sitting at the table, you’re probably in for a couple hundred hands.
And that’s the problem with the Knicks.”

“If The Knicks were a blackjack hand, they’d be an 18. It’s a good hand, not a great hand. No matter what the dealer was showing, you’d get a chorus of groans if you decided to hit on it. The dealer would make sure you were serious. The pit boss might come over for an opinion. You sure, sir?

Well, if you play by the book, you sit, you stick with your 18, even if the dealer has a King, even if you know, in your heart of hearts, that the odds say another face card is sure to come. And when that happens you shrug your shoulders and you move on. If you’re sitting at the table, you’re probably in for a couple hundred hands.
And that’s the problem with the Knicks.”

When asked on ESPN Radio, however, Grunwald said the opposite.

“You can trade players, but I don’t think that’s our focus,” Grunwald said Tuesday when asked about the possibility of a sign-and-trade. “Our focus is to continue to build this core team. Some continuity, some familiarization, further growth as individuals and as a team, I think that’s what we have to do.”

So think about what just happened there. Utter confusion. The Knicks CAN make a sign and trade this offseason and Glen said as much. We know the Knicks have gone at great lengths to remain flexible, but what Grunwald just said was that their focus will be on the “core” of the team.

Complete and udder hyperbole.

The follow up should have been, “Well who do you consider those core players?” The answer to who that core is aside from Melo and Tyson Chandler is anyone’s guess. Could they make a sign and trade to add to that core? Absolutely. Is it likely? Who really knows? Who knew that Grunwald would be able to make the Chandler deal a few years back a deal absolutely no one saw that coming and whether you were a fan of it at the time or not, you have to say it was a pretty sly move from the Knicks quiet and unassuming GM.

Many people will talk about Glen’s relationship with Isiah Thomas, but he really sharpened his executive skills when Donnie Walsh was here as the team put together the plan that led to this 54-win season. Walsh was known as a pretty good poker player leading up to the Melo deal.

In my opinion I simply don’t see this team standing pat. Too many signs point to them making improvements. They’ve been strict and disciplined from a cap space perspective, I believe, for a reason and the biggest decision off the bat is what to do with JR Smith, whom Grunwald was non-committal when talking about yesterday.

“I’m not going to comment on any individual player because we’re not finished with our evaluation,” he said Tuesday. “I don’t think you should read that one way or another [about Smith].

Got that? JR may or may not be back with the Knicks next year but the better question, again, is is he really a “core” member? Is Shumpert? You’d think after several playoff outbursts overshadowing an overall pretty average playoff series numbers-wise, you’d a.ssume he definitely is. But don’t Shump and JR play the same position? It would stand to reason based off what you saw in that 3rd quarter that you’d like to give Shump more minutes next year and, while you could play him with JR at the 2/3, I don’t think that fits with what Glen said about them wanting to play bigger with Melo. I don’t think that matches with Woodson’s plotting “protect possessions” at all costs philosophy especially when you consider Jason Kidd’s value in that offensive mindset. Granted, you’d expect Kidd’s minutes to drop and Pablo Prigioni may go back overseas, but are the Knicks ready to commit 30-35 minutes per for both Smith and Shump?

“Grunwald said the Knicks may look at offensive sets that feature Carmelo Anthony at small forward next season. Anthony played almost exclusively at power forward this season. He was able to exploit matchups against bigger, slower defenders en route to his first NBA scoring title.

But Grunwald said the Knicks may look to play bigger lineups next season that would feature Anthony at small forward, his natural position.

“I think that’s something [Woodson] can look at next year,” Grunwald said.

Don’t forget they also have a first round pick to add to the rotation too. If you commit to JR for 4 or 5 years what does that say about Shumpert, who is ready to pounce on his 3rd year as he pushes for a new contract? Shumpert’s camp reportedly caused a stir with his usage already and if he’s going to get a bigger contract he needs to put up bigger numbers and with bigger numbers he’ll need more shots and obviously more minutes. Doesn’t it stand to reason that JR may stand in the way?

The bottom line is I believe Grunwald has a plan and that is to obviously improve the team. We’ve seen him fly under the radar and execute on deals before. Despite people, especially in the media, believing that the Knicks are stuck and don’t have any ways to improve, I choose to believe that the team knows the clock is ticking and has remained flexible for a reason.

Chris Paul or no Chris Paul.
 4 years ago '04        #9865
space
space
Ian Begley

Of course the Knicks should go after Chris Paul.

If you have championship aspirations and there is a player available who can lift you to a title, it's your responsibility to at least inquire about that player.

Sure, they have a solid point guard in Raymond Felton. But this has nothing to do with Felton.

In short, Paul would transform the Knicks' offense. He could strike a balance between letting Carmelo Anthony operate in isolation and running the pick-and-roll.

He also would be the solid secondary scorer the Knicks currently lack. And he'd turn J.R. Smith into a third option, which is where he'd be at his best.

So, yes, the Knicks absolutely should pursue Paul. But going after him and landing him are two very different things.

First, Paul would need to tell the Clippers that there was no way he'd re-sign there, forcing them to execute a sign-and-trade to the Knicks.

If you take the $82 million we a.ssume the Knicks will be committed to for 2013-14 and add another $18.7 million -- the amount Paul will earn in the first year of his deal -- you get $100.7 million. The Knicks' total salary will need to be under $75.5 million after the Paul trade to make a sign-and-trade work under the current CBA rules. So they'd have to send out $25.2 million to make it work.

Let's say they send Amar'e Stoudemire ($21.7 million) and Raymond Felton ($3.6 million) to the Clippers. They then could take back Paul.

But why would the Clippers do that deal? They wouldn't. Unless Paul forced their hand. So it's highly unlikely that Paul ends up with the Knicks. But they should at least give the Clippers a call.
 4 years ago '04        #9866
space
space
Jared Zwerling

One question: When was the last time an NBA team won a championship with an elite point guard?

It was 23 years ago, when Isiah Thomas led the Pistons to the 1990 title. Consider this. When the Spurs won on the biggest stage, Tony Parker was maybe a borderline top-10 point guard.

While Olympian Chris Paul obviously would help the Knicks with his vocal leadership, defense, transition and half-court playmaking -- and his ability to hit clutch shots -- their focus should be on upgrading their big-man depth.

Because the bulk of the Knicks' scoring comes mostly from outside shooters Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith, and the team uses a perimeter-oriented offense, they need a better inside presence for rebounding and second-chance opportunities. Those two things doomed them in the series against the Pacers.

"If Melo and J.R. are going to win, it's with young, athletic bigs who do the dirty work and protect the rim and finish," a veteran NBA scout said. "Playing with an elite point guard would be problematic because those guys would have to change their games too much."

Right now, Tyson Chandler and Marcus Camby are the Knicks' only foundation down low. That's definitely not going to cut it.

As far as the Knicks' point-guard depth goes, Raymond Felton plays well on both ends of the floor, and he elevated his game at the right time in the playoffs. In addition, Iman Shumpert will be a bigger and better facilitator next season. Mike Woodson said "the sky is the limit for that kid." The Knicks, however, do need a better backup -- Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni are only getting older -- who can help them establish a faster pace, make plays off the dribble and create his own shot.

But the Knicks don't need Paul. GM Glen Grunwald conceded on Tuesday that it's highly unlikely the Knicks will get under the tax line this summer, therefore no sign-and-trades for Paul.

So let's all put the CP3 dreams to bed, and focus on the Knicks' need to add bigs.
 4 years ago '04        #9867
space
space
but if u must know, Gorgui Dieng & Dario Saric are two guys i'm expecting NYK to be interested in
 4 years ago '07        #9868
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,855 | Props total: 2186 2186
Shane Larkin or Gorgui Dieng

...that's all folks...
 4 years ago '04        #9869
space
space
Berman

Say it’s so, Pablo!

Knicks rookie point guard Pablo Prigioni said on Argentine radio Wednesday his preference is to remain in the NBA next season rather than return to the Spanish League and his wife is OK with it.

“If I can choose, I prefer to play in the United States and stay in the NBA,’’ Prigioni said.

According to Argentine sportswriter Julian Mozo of Ole’ Newspaper, in the radio interview Prigioni, 35, denied his wife wants him to return to the Spanish League next season and claimed she likes New York. Nevertheless, Prigioni revealed he won’t play for Team Argentina in the World Cup qualifier this summer because of his family.

Prigioni will be a free agent on July 1. The Knicks would have to dip into their $3.1 million mid-level exception to match an offer from another team, as Prigioni will be a restricted free agent.

Prigioni’s agent, George Bass, is expected to seek a one-year deal worth about $2 million. The Knicks could include Prigioni in a sign-and-trade and receive back a trade exception. There’s a possibility San Antonio will have interest because Prigioni is close friends with fellow countryman Manu Ginobili.

Prigioni signed just a one-year deal so he would have better leverage this summer if he chose to remain in the NBA.
 4 years ago '04        #9870
space
space
Berman

The Knicks’ 1-2 scoring tandem was truly hurting in the ill-fated Pacers series.

Not only did Carmelo Anthony play with what an MRI exam Wednesday revealed was a partial tear in his left shoulder, but The Post has learned J.R. Smith’s nightmarish playoff performance was partly because of a swollen left knee that contained fluid buildup.

According to a league source, Smith likely will have his knee drained of the fluid in the next two weeks — the same procedure Anthony underwent in March. So Smith’s struggles weren’t only about his sharp elbow in the Celtics series, alleged hangover and viral infection.

Meanwhile, Anthony’s MRI exam showed he had played in the playoffs with a small, partial tear in his shoulder, but the Knicks don’t expect him to need surgery, according to a league source.

Anthony has been prescribed rest and physical therapy for a month to allow the shoulder to heal. Had the shoulder sustained a full labrum tear, surgery would have been required. Now it’s unlikely.

Smith had played with a swollen knee since March, but it acted up severely in the playoffs. The swollen knee is the same condition Anthony dealt with this season until he finally had it taken care of. The Knicks called Anthony’s issue “soft tissue fluid collection.’’

“[Smith’s] been playing hurt,” the league source said. “He probably should’ve sat out a couple of games. It’s what Melo had. That’s why he wasn’t driving the ball like he was. That’s why his jump shot wasn’t right, not having the lift.’’

Anthony injured his shoulder late in the regular season in a scramble with Indiana’s David West and aggravated it in the Boston series when Kevin Garnett tugged on it. Anthony wore a shoulder strap during the Pacers series and said Monday he was in pain throughout that series.

“It was bothering me since it happened,’’ Anthony said Monday. “There was pain. It came to the point you try not to think about it.’’

Smith, expected to opt out of his contract and become a free agent July 1, acknowledged the knee soreness in March. He downplayed it, but wore knee sleeves on both legs, keeping the swelling covered.

Smith was checked out by team doctors before the playoffs and considered draining the knee then, according to the source.

Smith’s stiff knee had gotten better in late March, but worsened entering the playoffs. He shot 29 percent in his final eight playoff games, drawing the sound and the fury of the Garden fans.

The irony is his shooting slump occurred directly after he served a one-game suspension for elbowing Boston’s Jason Terry during Game 3 of the Knicks’ first-round series with the Celtics.

Smith’s image took a further blow when his former friend, Rihanna, stated on her Instagram account that his playoff woes stemmed from his being “hung over.’’ Rihanna deleted the post after a request from CAA superagent Leon Rose, who represents Smith.

Smith was stand-up across his playoff disaster.

“They tried to rely on me, and I didn’t step up,” he said after Saturday’s Game 6 elimination. “Regardless of what that says about me or my game, that won’t happen again.”

The Knicks can offer Smith a contract that starts at $5.4 million because they own his early-Bird rights. Smith said he “wants to retire a Knick’’ and also play with his brother, Chris, who was with the Knicks in training camp but missed the entire season due to a knee injury. The younger Smith also has hired Rose as his agent.

Nevertheless, people in the know say Smith will have to leave the Knicks if another team blows away their offer. If another offer is higher but comparable, Smith would take less money and stay.

Anthony raved about Smith after his exit meeting Monday, and said he hopes he’ll be back.

“J.R. is a special player,’’ Anthony said. “To me, he made a huge step as a basketball player. We look forward to that, [for him to] come out and be focused the way he was to win the Sixth Man of the Year award, help us win the division. He’s definitely a big plus to this team. I definitely would love him back here.’’
 4 years ago '04        #9871
space
space
Ian Begley

Back in April, Phil Jackson praised the Knicks. He went as far as to say they could challenge for the NBA title.

Now? Not so much.

In an interview with the New York Times, the Zen Master hinted that the Knicks are a ways away from winning an NBA crown.

“The Knicks still have to find some accommodating group of guys that know how to play ball together, move the ball, play the game the right way,” he said.

The Knicks lost in the second round of the playoffs to the Indiana Pacers. The Pacers were the lower seed, but defended New York's isolation-heavy attack and beat the Knicks up on the boards.

Jackson said he thinks the team’s star, Carmelo Anthony, is “an amazing ballplayer who still has another level to step up,” according to the Times.

Last summer, when many wondered whether the Knicks would pursue Jackson to fill their coaching vacancy, the 11-time NBA champ called New York’s pairing of Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire “clumsy.”

In his interview with the Times, Jackson hinted that he’d prefer the Brooklyn Nets’ roster over the Knicks’ because of Nets stars Deron Williams and Brook Lopez.

“With Brooklyn, if you’ve got a point guard and a solid center, or a good point guard and a great center, you’ve got two of the pieces that you want to have toward a champion,” Jackson said.

Jackson, who is making the media rounds to promote his book, "Eleven Rings," said Tuesday that the best job offer he has received recently was to coach the Nets.

But Jackson turned the Nets down and insisted that he is finished coaching during an interview Tuesday with "The Dan Patrick Show."

Still, he added that he was intrigued by the Nets' offer.

"Well, the Brooklyn situation is a good situation," Jackson said during the interview.

Question: Do you agree with Jackson? Do the Nets have a better roster than the Knicks?

Do the Knicks lack players who know how to “play the game the right way”?
 4 years ago '11        #9872
imtheman718 21 heat pts21
space
space
$4,056 | Props total: 509 509
We need an American born, athletic big.
 4 years ago '04        #9873
space
space
Berman

Carmelo Anthony agrees with the sentiment of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim regarding the state of the Knicks’ roster — he needs help.

According to a source, Anthony has told a confidant he is concerned management will stand pat this offseason and said he believes the team needs to add a bona fide secondary scorer for the Knicks to take the next step and win a championship.

The source said Anthony loves combo guard Iman Shumpert, 22, and projects him as a superstar, but not for two seasons. The source also said Anthony privately wishes the club will add a significant piece to the roster and not be status quo.

Boeheim’s remarks last week criticizing the roster’s strength hit home with Anthony, who values his former coach’s evaluations.

Anthony, rehabbing a small tear in his left shoulder that may have hampered him vs. Indiana, has an opt-out clause after next season, making the 2013-14 campaign pivotal regarding his future decisions. Under the rules of the collective bargaining agreement, the Knicks and Anthony can agree to an extension in mid-February — the third anniversary of his last extension.

Anthony originally lobbied to come to the Knicks in 2010-11 to play alongside All-Star Amar’e Stoudemire, but injuries have haunted Stoudemire’s New York stint. Knicks officials said they believe Stoudemire may be put on a minutes restriction next season, too, limiting his impact.

General manager Glen Grunwald said last week the team will try to be “creative’’ and “aggressive’’ with the roster but said the major core would return.

Boeheim, who coached Anthony at Syracuse, was critical of the Knicks’ roster in a Syracuse newspaper after they were eliminated in the second round by the Pacers in six games. Boeheim said it wasn’t Anthony’s fault and the Knicks don’t have second, third and fourth options on offense who are strong enough to support Anthony.

Asked if the Knicks could win a title with Anthony, Boeheim said, “Not with this team.’’

With Stoudemire injured most of the season, the Knicks’ second option was Sixth Man of the Year J.R. Smith, a free agent the Knicks intend to re-sign but who has not been a reliable playoff performer.

The third option was point guard Raymond Felton. Smith shot 33 percent in the playoffs and Felton scored just two points on 0-for-7 shooting in the series-ending Game 6 loss at Indiana. The Knicks shot just 41 percent in the playoffs, averaging a meager 88.6 points.

Grunwald brushed off Boeheim’s critique last week.

“He’s obviously very loyal to Melo,” Grunwald said. “So I understand where his comments came from.’’

“A lot of people think I said it because I’m a Melo fan,” Boeheim told The Post yesterday. “But I’m just being objective as a basketball head coach who watches 60 Knicks games a year. ’’

Boeheim said yesterday Anthony made Smith and Felton better than they are because of the attention he draws from the defense. But that wasn’t enough vs. Indiana.

The Pacers will get better next season with the return of Danny Granger, and the Bulls, who were 4-0 vs. the Knicks, will get back 2010-11 NBA MVP Derrick Rose. Boeheim said yesterday the Knicks are a solid 50-win team next season but not good enough to win the East.

Anthony was diplomatic and politically correct with the media nine days ago on Trash Bag Day. He stressed a need to get better but was typically vague and indicated he wouldn’t interfere unless summoned.

Asked what the roster needs, Anthony said, “It’s hard to say. I don’t want to jump the gun and say we need this or need that. Let the front office evaluate that. If they want my input, they know how to contact me.’’

The roadblock to the Knicks making a major move is they are not permitted to do a sign-and-trade for a free agent this season to go after point guard Chris Paul because they are over the luxury-tax threshold. Grunwald would need to make a move via a regular trade, with center Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Shumpert and Steve Novak as potential pawns if the GM is so inclined.

“It’s a team game, team sport,’’ Anthony said last week. “At the end of the day, as face of the team, it comes down to me. I accept that. We got to get better as a team and as a unit. We will. Look at this offseason and see what we got to do to make this team better. I wouldn’t put that pressure on myself to say I have to do it on my own. We as a team will get better and be better next year.’’
 4 years ago '04        #9874
space
space
just gonna post up some Mock Draft selections since I ain't making MY pick for another 2 weeks

feartheword - Glen Rice Jr. (SF)
hoopsworld - Myck Kabongo (PG)
bleacherreport - Isaiah Canaan (PG)
nbadraft - Rudy Gobert (C)
draftexpress - Dario Saric (SF)

if we were to get a second pick, i would def. use that on Canaan

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '04        #9875
space
space
With the NBA Draft fast approaching on June 27, teams are busy pouring over scouting reports and player evaluation. The Knicks are slotted to choose 24th, and as you'll see, there are plenty of directions they could go with the pick. Will they look to fortify the front court? How about adding another ball handler or a wing that can add firepower to their offensive attack?

Throughout the draft process, we'll be collecting mock draft suggestions from some of the leading sites and putting them together here in an effort to get to know the possibilities better.

DraftExpress picks...Dario Saric (6'10", 223 lbs. 19 years old). Small Forward, Cibona Zagreb.

KnicksNow breakdown: Saric is a tantalizing prospect wih the combination of youth, size and skills to make you dream on his potential. He's not an explosive athlete, but he's fluid with plenty of length for an NBA small forward. He showed improvement over the past few years at the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, showing scouts glimpses of a future star with the ability to handle the ball and see the floor and a high basketball IQ.

In a draft seen by some as lacking in top-tier talent, he's the type of player you could see going as high as the mid- to late lottery. If he's available at 24, he could appeal to a team like the Knicks as a project with significant upside. He's added some weight to a wiry frame, but in all likelihood the team that drafts him won't expect him to contribute right away. He's still an inconsistent shooter and he'll probably have to bulk up before he sees the court, especially if he lands with a veteran team.

ESPN.com picks...Glen Rice, Jr. (6'6", 211 lbs, 22 years old). Small Forward, Georgia Tech (via the NBA D-League).

KnicksNow: Rice is a unique prospect in that he enters the draft out of the D-League, not college. After being dismissed from Georgia Tech, he opted to forego the year he'd have to sit out in order to transfer and instead joined up with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBDL. He's the son of the 3-time NBA All-Star that shares his name, and after some bumps along the way, he's put together a strong case to be drafted in the first round.

In his Mock Draft 3.0, Chad Ford called him "a terrific athlete" with good length for the small forward position. It took him a while to show it this past season, but with promotions of his teammates came opportunities and Rice made the most of them. Ford says that Rice "wowed NBA scouts and GMs with his stellar play in the D-League," which culminated with an impressive D-League championship series. Rice was the best player on the floor, leading his team to a sweep while averaging 29 points, 11.5 rebounds, 4 a.ssists, 3 steals and 3 blocks per game.

Rice has been open about his maturation process since college and scouts are optimistic that he's grown up. He really came on during his stint with Rio Grande Valley, showing he could score (14.5 points per game on 48.7% from the floor) and shoot from range (37.9% from three). Reports from the Chicago combine were mixed (video below), but he has the measurables, bloodlines and plenty of professional tape that few others in his class can match.

NBADraft.net picks...Gorgui Dieng (6'11", 230 lbs, 23 years old). Center, Louisville

KnicksNow: You may remember Dieng as the man in the middle of college basketball's No. 1 ranked defense last season. The Big East Defensive Player of the Year helped lead Louisville to a National Championship, and now he is showing NBA teams how he could do the same for them.

First and foremost, he has what everyone wants: length. He had the 2nd-longest standing reach at the combine and knows how to use it. He already has great instincts as a shot blocker and rebounder, and he is an excellent passer out of the high post. Depending on where he goes, he could be the rare rookie ready to make an immediate impact on the defensive end.

He's not young, but he is still considered to be relatively raw as an offensive prospect. A native of Senegal, reports say he's added 50 pounds to his frame since he come to the U.S. over four years ago, but could still stand to build up strength. Most mock drafts have him going in the top 20, but he could certainly be around at 24.

SI.com picks...Rudy Gobert (7'2", 238 lbs, 20 years old). Power Forward/Center, Cholet (France).

KnicksNow: Gobert is a polarizing prospect. Some see that he set Chicago pre-draft combine records for both standing reach (9-7) and wingspan (7-8½ ) and envision a rim protector capable of anchoring an NBA defense down the road. DraftExpress, for instance, has him going 10th overall to Portland.

Others worry about his athleticism and how his body will translate to the NBA. Gobert's task will be convincing teams that he's a better big man prospect than guys like Dieng, Kelly Olynyk (Gonzaga), Jeff Withey (Kansas), Lucas Nogueira (Brazil) and others that seem to be clumped together in the late first round.

CBSSports.com picks...Dieng, C, Louisville.

KnicksNow: As we've discussed, Dieng is a proven shot blocker and rebounder. Jeff Goodman likes him at this spot, after watching him for years as CBS' college basketball insider, because he thinks he'd be a suitable backup to Tyson Chandler. While the Knicks, like most teams, would be more likely to take the best available player rather than draft for positional need, Dieng's skill set would seem to be a nice match. As Goodman notes, he is not a superlative athlete, but has a clear strength in his D.

NBA.com picks...Lucas Nogueira (6'11", 215 lbs, 20 years old). Center, Brazil.

KnicksNow: If you are looking for a big man that can run the floor, you won't do much better than this. Nogeuira has emerged as one of the top international prospects in this draft, thanks to his ability to impact the game with his athleticism and 7-5 wingspan. DraftExpress projects his upside to be Marcus Camby, a gifted rebounder and shot blocker with room to fill out his massive frame.

Because of the glut of big men that should be available after the lottery, it's tough to predict if Nogueira, or any of these guys, will be available. Like Saric, you could see a team falling in love with his potential and scooping him up before the Knicks pick at 24. If he's there, though, he'd certainly merit consideration for what he could do down the road.
 4 years ago '04        #9876
space
space
Tommy Dee

First of all, any fan who says things along the lines of “then why did you want to gut to the team during the trade” need to realize that the Knicks would have had to pay a Wilson Chandler for example upwards of 8 to 10 million dollars. And the Nuggets really wanted him in the deal. I’d love to have Chandler, but it’s clear that the team’s plan was to remain flexible fo this summer, as we’ve spelled out in great detail here. Maintaining flexibility for this year is the clear answer as to why the Knicks never looked into getting compensated for Landry Fields or Jeremy Lin in my mind as both players would have required getting salary back in the 5-15 million range per year past 2013.

Secondly, if Melo is looking for a bonafide second scorer than the Knicks are going to have to look to deal their a.ssets including Shumpert and possibly Tyson Chandler in my mind. What’s clear is that when the season is on the line they cannot afford to lean on JR Smith, and Amar’e Stoudemire isn’t looked at as that 2nd option either. The good news from a value perspective is that Shumpert has a ton right now coming off his playoff performance but can you risk losing his potential? Many fans would say no and I’d tend to agree depending on who comes back. It would have to be a pretty good defender who can really score to balance the loss of Shump.

The question then becomes what names are out there and who can be had? Paul aside, my mindset takes me to a player like Tyreke Evans who the Knicks absolutely coveted in the draft and who is restricted. Evans shot 48% from the floor on a dreadful Kings team and is very adept at getting to the basket with the ball, a major weakness for the Knicks this year. He has all the tools to be a strong complimentary piece to what the Knicks are building.

As I look around the league it’s really hard to come up with salary matches that include Stoudemire or Chandler, but there can be deals to be had by packaging Shumpert and, say, Steve Novak’s contract. I understand that the idea of trading Shumpert for Evans may not excite fans and to be clear I’m not signing off on the idea, but it is important to keep in mind that Evans will be 24 in September.

Grunwald has admitted the need to be creative. He’s going to have to be if the Knicks are going to land the established second scorer Melo is looking for. To me, a player like Evans fits the bill if they can’t pull off a deal for Paul.
 4 years ago '04        #9877
space
space
if what i'm hearing is accurate, the Kings will move Cousins so replacing him with Chandler would make sense. it's no secret that Evans and the Kings aren't in each others future either so moving him shouldn't be a shocker.....Shump better not be included in ANYTHING though
 4 years ago '04        #9878
space
space
in not shocking news, NYK will be involved in the Vegas summer league, should be interesting this year since it's going to have a single elimination tourney style. last i read, Shump says he will be playing on this year's team
 4 years ago '07        #9879
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,855 | Props total: 2186 2186
Shump & Cope on the D-League champs ftw
 4 years ago '04        #9880
space
space
matter of fact, i think Smitty said he was gonna play this year too....if he does, u damn well know lil Chrissy playing too
Home      

most viewed right now
Picture of Lil Peep laid up in that coffin like a OG. (RIP)
178 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Girl Who Allegedly Gave Lil Peep The Drugs That Killed Him
211 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Would not pull out
42 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nov 17 - Fox News Bans Kiss Frontman Gene Simmons for Life
60 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Ever Seen A Bear Get Hit In The Nuts?
58 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ohhhh sh-t is this it fellas. Eminem "Revival" Tracklist!!!!!
75 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nov 17 - Man from West Africa visiting his family in the Bronx gets robbed for..
55 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Thick ass Gina Linda
37 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy