New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Video inside Dear Drug Dealers - "I'd Prefer To Meet You At Your House"
most viewed right now
NBA Warriors vs Trailblazers full highlights!
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Future Caught in the Middle of Scottie and Larsa Pippen’s Divorce
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Scandals {These Mfs Are Crazy}

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 years ago '04        #9781
Born_Loser|M 74 heat pts74
$39,900 | Props total: 1542 1542

BOSTON — J.R. Smith was suspended and not permitted inside the TD Garden yesterday. Carmelo Anthony’s jump shot was suspended, too, lost in some mysterious twilight zone.

Like Smith, Anthony failed to show up and the Knicks failed to sweep the Celtics.

Almost everyone but Anthony stepped up in Smith’s absence as the Knicks rallied from 20 points down to take the Celtics to overtime, but Melo’s shooting yips were too much to overcome. The Celtics are alive — at least until Wednesday — avoiding the broom and netting Game 4, 97-90.

They go back home to, as Tyson Chandler boasted, “Finish the job.’’

The Knicks didn’t finish it off yesterday on the parquet because Anthony couldn’t throw the ball into Boston Harbor, seemingly frazzled without his trusty sidekick, Smith, to take the burden off him. He finished a disastrous 10 of 35 from the field, including 0-for-7 from 3-point range, with seven turnovers.

Anthony wound up with 36 points as he sank 16 of 20 free throws. He resorted to driving the ball at all costs since he couldn’t find his jumper.

“As far as J.R. goes, we missed him, I missed him,’’ Anthony said. “But J.R. not being out there didn’t change how I shot the basketball today. Those shots I’ve taken all series. They weren’t falling tonight. My mama always said there were [going to be] days like this.’’

It was Anthony’s worst day since he returned in late March from a knee-drainage procedure. But not having Smith changed the balance of the offense, as Smith wasn’t there to play Robin to Anthony’s Batman. The Knicks shot 34.4 percent — 23.3 percent from beyond the 3-point line — and Anthony often tried to do too much without looking for his mates.

“I was trying to win the basketball game,’’ Anthony said. “It would’ve been a great feeling to close it out in Boston. I was trying to do whatever I could to win the basketball game. I was trying to be aggressive. I missed a ton of shots. I didn’t shoot the ball. Defensively we were still there.

“We look forward to Wednesday, I’ll tell you that.’’

Fittingly, Smith’s elbow victim, Jason Terry, became Boston’s hero, scoring the Celtics’ final nine points in the last 1:32 of overtime to close out the Knicks and set up Game 5.

Wasted were hearty efforts by Raymond Felton (27 points, three steals) and a big second half from Iman Shumpert (12 points, 12 rebounds, two steals).

“That’s where we’re comfortable at,’’ Felton said of the series returning to MSG. “We’re going back home to our comfort zone. We did our job, came here and got ourselves a win. We’d like to have both games, but that was our goal [a split].’’

Terry, who was clocked in the face by Smith’s elbow Friday in Game 3, broke the tie for good, pulling up on a fastbreak to swish a 3-pointer with 1:32 left to make it 91-88. Terry hit another pullup jumper to put the Celtics ahead 93-90 with 1:03 left.

Inbounding with 28.8 seconds left, down three, the Knicks weren’t dead yet. Anthony hit back iron on a 3-pointer. Steve Novak, in the game for his 3-point shooting, fouled Terry on the rebound battle and that was all.

“At the end of the day, you’re going to live and die with your go-to guy,’’ Felton said. “When the game was on the line, you’re going to give the ball to No. 7.

“They have a lot of pride. They didn’t want to get swept.’’

The Knicks didn’t have their first lead until 1:17 left in regulation, when Felton banged in a 20-footer. With a chance to win it in the final seconds, Anthony missed twice. He clanked a 3-pointer, but Chandler (11 rebounds) tapped it back. Anthony dribbled down the shot-clock and misfired again, making him 9 of 31. Garnett rebounded and the Celtics called timeout with 18 seconds left, but Paul Pierce (29 points) missed at the buzzer.

“We obviously missed J.R., but we still had our shots,’’ Chandler said. “We had seven bench points, but all that said we had an opportunity to win.’’

Anthony was 4 of 14 in the fourth quarter and OT.

“We shot 34 percent from the field and still put ourselves in position to win,’’ Anthony said. “There’s an upside to that.’’

The Sixth Man Award winner is back on Wednesday. That probably is upside enough.
 3 years ago '04        #9782
Jonah Ballow

#Knicks will return to MSG Training Center this morning for practice. GM 5 is slated for a 7 PM tipoff at the Garden on WED.
 3 years ago '04        #9783

J.R. Smith’s tweet following Game 1 against Boston 10 days ago said, “#Happy4/20.” April 20 is the unofficial holiday for pot-smokers. As father of a high-school junior and a college freshman, I prefer my kids don’t get that sort of encouragement from the winner of the NBA’s Sixth Man Award.

The league was aware of the “#Happy4/20’’ tweet, but could do nothing about it. It’s a date. The Players a.ssociation would have had a legal field day appealing.

Those who watch Smith knew better not to believe Smith’s alibi of trying to create space. He’s sneaky in delivering his cheap-shots through the guise of basketball moves. We’ve seen it before. He has been ejected three times this season.

If the latest elbow was an accident, Smith would have bent over to see if Terry was hurt. Instead, Smith marched away with no remorse. Terry had been hounding him, slapping hard at the ball, triggering the bad J.R.

Unfortunately, Smith’s behavior matters too much. It won’t cost the Knicks the Boston series, as they should take out the aging Cetlics tomorrow in Game 5 at the Garden with Smith back in uniform and Carmelo Anthony back to himself.

Anthony looked like he missed Smith like a cat misses his food dish in Game 4.

That is the alarming truism about the 2012-13 Knicks. Smith is not just the league’s Sixth Man Award winner, but the Knicks’ most indispensable player. He’s taken for granted, along with his career-high 18.1 points and menacing rebounding.

When Anthony missed games this season, the Knicks managed to win some, with Smith playing hero. Smith beat Phoenix with a buzzer-beater with Anthony out. Smith beat Charlotte with a buzzer-beater with Anthony out the second half with a cut finger. The Knicks also won in Miami sans Anthony.

Smith played the season’s first 80 games before resting the final two with Anthony. Sunday became the first time Anthony was on the floor all season without his wing man. And Anthony failed, proving part of his MVP-caliber season is having one guy he counts on as much as himself.

Smith has taken mounds of pressure off Anthony, whose equilibrium was altered Sunday. Smith was back home watching the game in New York. Anthony’s 10-of-35 brickfest (including 0-for-7 from 3-point range) was his most selfish game this season. Anthony said he has respect for Smith’s scoring and has no problems sharing the spotlight.

“Of course it put a damper into a lot of our plans,’’ Anthony said.

Smith’s dark side is tough to explain. He was raised middle class, in Lakewood, N.J., by two attentive parents in Earl and Ida Smith. Earl Smith, a former Monmouth guard, taught J.R. everything about shooting technique. Earl also doesn’t have a tattoo on his body.

Some in the league wonder if Smith’s tough-guy behavior is an act to relate to the NBA’s hip-hop crowd. He is such a vital cog to the machine that the Knicks organization accepts Smith for who he is and desperately wants to re-sign him.

As much as Mike Woodson has toned him down and got him to stop wearing “sagging jeans’’ to the arena, the Knicks coach hasn’t completed the job. Smith still is the most likeliest Knick to start a brawl in these playoffs.

Woodson loves Smith’s toughness, but there’s a difference between being tough and being a hooligan. Anthony loves Smith’s ability as one of the few Knicks who can carry the scoring load on his back, giving him a breather. When they are on the court as a tandem, the Knicks are a plus-7.4 points per 100 possessions.

Smith is indispensable. He also is a powder keg.

“J.R. is a big-time scorer for us, makes a lot of tough shots for us,’’ Iman Shumpert said. “He’s another guy who plays the passing lanes and rebounds. We’re losing a lot not having J.R. We got to figure it out.’’

Hopefully the Knicks won’t have to figure it out without Smith against Miami in late May.
 3 years ago '04        #9784

Sunday was quite a way for Iman Shumpert to celebrate the one-year anniversary of tearing his ACL.

The Georgia Tech product has been looking a lot like his rookie self, a menacing defender and rebounder, armed with a dangerous 3-point shot. He’s also putting the ball on the floor and attacking the basket.

Shumpert was impressive in the second half Sunday against the Celtics, finishing with 12 points, 12 rebounds, two blocks and two steals. On April 28, 2012, Shumpert collapsed on the Miami court in Game 1 after pushing off the wrong way on a drive.

One year later, the one thing he still doesn’t do much is dunk. That may not happen until next season. Shumpert, who returned Jan. 17, acknowledged his athleticism isn’t the same. Not yet. Shumpert often will move in for the k!ll and lay the ball in like it was the 1950s.

“I feel fine,’’ Shumpert said. “I know I’m going to be able to jump higher. That’s going to come. They told me I’m not going to be able to spring like I usually do. But I know that’s coming back anyway. Something I’m not worried about right now. It’s about winning.’’

The Chicago native had taken a lot of pride in his explosive dunking ability, but now he’s just making the smooth basketball play and playing like a demon defensively. It’s a good thing Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald passed on Phoenix’s offer to trade Shumpert for Jared Dudley earlier this season.

“I’m not really thinking about my knee,’’ Shumpert said. “We’ve just got to win games. I’ve got the whole summer to work on things to get myself where I want to be individually, athletically. Right now with how my knee feels, it’s good enough to play and I got to go out there and make plays.’’

He is and is making Paul Pierce’s life difficult.

“Last year I feel he cooked me,’’ Shumpert said. “I had all summer and all year to study all the guys that really gave me problems and he was one of them.’’

* Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin were teammates of Jason Collins on the Nets.

Martin played four seasons with Collins. Kidd played 6 1/2 seasons with Collins, who is on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week announcing he is gay. Collins played 32 games with the Celtics this season before being traded to Washington in the Jordan Crawford deal.

* The Knicks, with their late surge, won’t select in the first round until the 24th pick. They will be looking for a point guard. Pablo Prigioni told The Post recently he wasn’t sure if he’ll return to the Spanish League and Kidd is 40 going on 41.
 3 years ago '04        #9785
Ian Begley

First thing's first: The sky is not falling.

Sure, the New York Knicks missed a chance to sweep the Boston Celtics on Sunday.

But no team in NBA history has rebounded from a 3-0 deficit. And Boston has given no indication that it has the talent to make that kind of history.

So the Knicks, by all indications, will lock up the series and advance to the second round later this week.

But a trend has emerged during the series that bears watching.

Carmelo Anthony has struggled in isolation in the postseason, particularly in Game 4. This is troubling because the Knicks have used Anthony in isolation at a high rate in the playoffs.

In the regular season, Anthony was in isolation on 26 percent of Knicks' plays that ended with a field goal attempt, free throw or turnover from the All-Star. He had a 41.8 field goal percentage on such plays, according to data compiled by ESPN Stats & Information.

In the playoffs, Anthony has been in isolation on 43 percent of plays that end with the ball in his hand and has shot just 31 percent from the floor on those plays.

The iso-heavy offense seemed to hurt the Knicks on Sunday. Anthony was in isolation 49 percent of the time in Game 4. He shot 10-for-35 from the floor.

Of course, J.R. Smith's absence affected Anthony and the Knicks on Sunday. Smith was suspended for elbowing Jason Terry in the jaw in Game 3. If he were on the floor, things would presumably open up for Anthony.

But his opportunities late in Sunday's game seemed to come at the expense of Raymond Felton. Felton scored 16 points on eight shots in the third quarter to help the Knicks rebound from a 20-point deficit. In the fourth quarter and overtime, he took a combined six shots. Anthony, on the other hand, went 4-for-14 in the fourth quarter and OT.

"He missed some shots," Knicks coach Mike Woodson said. "But as a team we couldn't make shots. We struggled."

Surely, Anthony wasn't the only Knick whose shot was off in Game 4. The Knicks shot a combined 29 percent in the first half. But Anthony shouldered most of the blame after missing 25 shots.

"I just normally hit those shots. I’ve been taking them the whole series. They weren't falling tonight," Anthony said shortly after Sunday's game.

Maybe the Knicks would have been better served going with a balance between pick-and-rolls and isolation sets.

Felton thrived in the pick-and-roll in the third quarter on Sunday and the Knicks have had success on such plays in the postseason.

They are averaging 1.15 points per play on pick-and-roll plays and 0.67 points per play in isolation sets, per ESPN Stats and Information.

Of course, Anthony is at his best in isolation, not in the pick-and-roll. So it would be foolish to completely abandon Anthony's isolation sets and ask him to operate solely in the pick-and-roll. That would be like asking a world-class violinist to play trumpet.

So there's no need to overhaul the offense. Even though he was off on Sunday, the Knicks still had a chance to win the game. And Anthony still got a few key Celtics into foul trouble.

"At the end of the day, you're going to live and die with your go-to guy," Felton said after Sunday's game. "I was able to get in the paint and hit some big shots, but when the game is on the line you're going to be getting the ball to No. 7. That's what we've been doing all year. There's no need to change it now."

Felton is right. There's no need to change anything. But maybe a less "iso Melo" would benefit everyone involved.
 3 years ago '04        #9786

.R. Smith is back tonight and ready to elbow the Celtics out of the playoffs.

The Knicks lead the Celtics, 3-1, in the best-of-seven first-round series and they expect to close out Boston in tonight’s Game 5 at the Garden after failing to do so Sunday.

Smith missed Game 4 because of a one-game suspension for elbowing Jason Terry in the jaw. The Sixth Man Award winner claimed yesterday the series would have ended Sunday had he played — giving the Knicks their first playoff series win since 2000 — then the flaky shooting guard pretended he had never heard of Terry.

“I’m extremely [motivated],’’ Smith said in his first comments since getting suspended. “I can’t wait.’’

The Knicks don’t expect to revisit Boston Harbor until next season. Game 6 would be Friday in Beantown.

“It’s a must,” Smith said of Game 5. “We’re planning on not losing any games at our building. We’ve got to get this thing over as fast as we can so we can get [Jason] Kidd his rest, [Carmelo Anthony] his rest, and get prepared for the next series.”

The Knicks would face the winner of Atlanta-Indiana,which is deadlocked at 2-2. Smith believes the Knicks would have posted the Sunday sweep if he suited up in the 97-90 overtime loss.

“Oh yeah, it’d be over,’’ Smith said. “I would’ve been playing golf today.’’

The Knicks would have secured a week off if a pressing Anthony played a tad better than his 10-for-35, seven-turnover horror show. Melo has his wingman back tonight and no excuses.

“Oh, we want to end it,’’ Anthony said. “We came this far, did our job at home, got one on the road. We have an opportunity to end it here on our home court. It’s a special moment. It’s a very special moment for us as a team, for us as a city. As an organization, to do something special like that here on our home court. ”

Knicks coach Mike Woodson brimmed with confidence, too, yesterday.

“We’re in perfect position for our franchise and fans to get the job done so we can move on to the second round,’’ Woodson said. “I feel good about our chances. I’m hoping we can get everything finished off so we can get ready for Round 2.”

Smith, who played 80 of 82 regular-season games, missing only the final two to rest, has become the Knicks’ most indispensable player — the second sniper making it easier for Anthony.

The Knicks’ newest star claimed he didn’t know of the Celtics’ former Sixth Man of the Year, Terry.

Asked about Terry’s Game 4 overtime heroics, Smith deadpanned, “I don’t know who that is.’’

Is he concerned Terry might try to bait him tonight in his return?

“Who’s that?,’’ Smith said blankly. “I don’t know who that is. I’m sorry.’’

There have been suggestions on an earlier possession, Terry hit Smith in the groin area.

Smith seemed to confirm he took a low blow.

“I was [hit],’’ Smith said. “It don’t really matter. Me and my teammates were the only people who suffered from it. Nothing we can do about it now.’’

Smith left Boston Sunday morning and watched the game from New York.

“I wasn’t on the golf course,’’ Smith said. “I watched the game to see what happened. I wasn’t pleased with it. My teammates weren’t either. We got to make up for it [tonight].”

Anthony said he is thrilled to share the spotlight with his former Denver teammate. Anthony shrugged off criticism he shot too much Sunday because he refused to trust his teammates.

“We missed him,’’ Anthony said. “We miss his play off the bench. We miss him just being out there on the court with us — what he’s brought to our team this year. No lie, we missed him.”

Asked what he’s learned from the experience, Smith said, “Don’t throw elbows.’’

The Celtics view Terry as key to extending the series. The dueling sixth men appear primed.

“He’s going to come out and obviously be tough, aggressive, looking to be the spark for them,” Terry said. “But we’re just resilient, and it’s going to be a great game. I can’t wait to go.”

Woodson said he had a “major discussion’’ with Smith before he left Boston.

“It’s very important to have him,’’ Woodson said. “We missed 18 points the other night and still put ourselves in position to win the ballgame. J.R. is still a big piece to the puzzle. I hope he’s learned his lesson.’’

— Mark Hale contributed to this report
 3 years ago '04        #9787

Jason Kidd won his second straight NBA Sportsmanship Award yesterday, becoming the first back-to-back winner.

Kidd, who won his first Joe Dumars Trophy last season with the Mavericks, received 91 first-place votes of a possible 355 from NBA players.

The annual award is said to reflect the ideals of sportsmanship: ethical behavior, fair play and integrity.

In between winning the two awards, Kidd was arrested last July for a DWI after allegedly smashing his SUV into a telephone pole in the Hamptons days after signing with the Knicks as a free agent.

Kidd’s lawyer, Edward Burke, said the case is still pending in Southampton Town Court after the latest court date two weeks ago was adjourned. Burke said he expects to have the case resolved by the end of summer.

Kidd, who turned 40 in March and has been extremely apologetic about the incident, bounced back from that rocky start and has been exemplary as a Knick, providing leadership, intangibles and defense.

“I’m trying to show them that you can win the Joe Dumars Award, too,’’ Kidd said yesterday. “You don’t just have to win the scoring title or the Sixth Man [Award]. It’s a great honor anytime you get recognized. I’ve won it twice, so hopefully I’m doing the right thing.’’

* Boston’s Jason Terry has been talkative lately, saying he is tired of the Knicks’ “showboating” and mocking J.R. Smith’s return from a one-game suspension, saying it’s not as if the Knicks were getting back Patrick Ewing.

Terry also told Kenyon Martin he wouldn’t let the Knicks dance at the Celtics funeral Sunday. Martin responded by saying the Knicks would wear black for Game 5 tonight.

“I don’t need any more motivation,’’ Martin said. “But he did add a little fuel to the fire. But I’m not fittin’ to go back and forth with him.’’

* Ewing returns to the MSG Network postgame show tonight.

“[Boston] is f!ghting for their lives and our guys are trying to finish it,’’ Ewing said yesterday. “The Knicks just have to stay focused. J.R.’s elbow to Jason Terry hurt the team. Getting J.R. back will be important, and the Knicks need to stay focused. They can’t get caught up in all of the hype if someone hits them.’’

— Additional reporting by Brian Lewis
 3 years ago '04        #9788

A day after Jason Collins came out as gay, former teammates Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin said his decision will make the world a better place. Knicks star Carmelo Anthony gushed over Collins’ courage.

“It was a huge step for him to come out and make that statement,” Anthony said Tuesday before Wednesday’s Game 5 against the Celtics at the Garden. “For him to come out right now, be the first athlete to do so, it takes a big set to do that, especially in the society that we live in and knowing that everybody’s going to have something to say.

“For him to step up to the plate and do that, I’m pretty sure that will open the floodgates for a lot of other people.”

Collins came out in a first-person Sports Illustrated story published online Monday as the first active openly gay player in one of the four major U.S. leagues. While the Knicks generally applauded Collins’ courage, Anthony was proven right in that there were still those that had “something to say.’’

Larry Johnson, who played five years with the Knicks and is now a basketball and business operations representative, tweeted “don’t [know] Jason Collins personally but he seems like a great guy. Me personally gay men in the [locker] room would make me uncomfortable,” adding “Ppl! this is nothing against Jason or homos3xual’s, all I’m saying is this don’t belong in a man’s locker room.”

But Martin and Kidd, who played alongside Collins in New Jersey, both praised Collins’ courage and remain steadfast friends to this day.

“It takes a great man. I commend him for having the courage,” Martin said. “I have no problem with him. He was my friend before, he’ll still be my friend. He was a great teammate, helped us get to two Finals. ... Like he said, somebody had to be the one to raise their hand. He was the first to do it, so you have to take your hat off to him.”

Collins spoke with Kidd on Monday morning, hours before his revelation went public.

“Jason’s a good friend of mine and he was also a teammate in Jersey. He’s a true professional on and off the court,’’ Kidd said. “It takes a lot of courage what he did, but it’s just going to make the world a better place.’’

Woodson, who coached Collins in Atlanta in 2009-10, also spoke with his former player Monday.

“The decision that he made, we got to live with it. That’s his personal life. Life moves on. We got to move on,’’ Woodson said. “It’s something we can’t hide. It’s out there. He was man enough to step forward to express his feelings about it. We all know now. He’s going to live his life. I’ve got a game to win.’’

That game is against the Celtics, who traded Collins to Washington on Feb. 21. Collins is a free agent and it remains to be seen whether he will find work next season. Boston coach Doc Rivers — whom Collins already had confided in — said his s3xual orientation shouldn’t matter.

“I wasn’t surprised by the article or the statement because we’d talked about it recently,’’ Rivers said. “He told me he was coming out and I told him great. Good. Let’s move forward, and I jokingly said ‘I wish you could’ve got me more rebounds, because that’s all I care about, really.’ ”

— Additional reporting by Mark Hale, Marc Berman and Fred Kerber
 3 years ago '04        #9789

Today's Burning Question: How important is J.R. Smith to the Knicks, and to Carmelo Anthony in particular?

Anyone who watched Knicks-Celtics on Sunday knows how much New York missed J.R. Smith. With Smith out due to suspension, the Knicks shot a shade under 29 percent in the first half and scored just seven bench points in the Game 4 loss.

"We missed him," Carmelo Anthony said on Tuesday. "We missed him just being out there on the court with us, what he’s brung to our team this year. No lie, we missed him.”

Anthony might have missed Smith more than any other Knick. He went 10-for-35 on Sunday without Smith, who was serving a one-game suspension for elbowing Jason Terry in Game 3.

And there's evidence that Anthony's struggles with Smith out were no coincidence.

Statistically, Anthony does not fall off of a cliff with Smith out. His field goal percentage and the Knicks' offensive efficiency remain relatively consistent.

But there are some metrics that show Smith's presence has a positive impact on Anthony.

Plus-minus, though an imperfect measurement, hints at Smith's affect on Anthony.

The Knicks outscored opponents by 237 points when Anthony and Smith shared the floor in the regular season, according to

They outscored opponents by 60 points when Anthony was on the floor without Smith.

Of course, those numbers are also influenced by the other Knicks on the floor, not just Smith and Anthony.

There is also evidence, though, that suggests Smith's presence helps Anthony's shot selection.

Thirty-four percent of Anthony's field goal attempts in the regular season came within five feet of the rim when he shared the floor with Smith on the floor, per an analysis run by

That number dipped to just 21 percent when Smith was on the bench.

Forty-four percent of Carmelo's regular season shots were midrange jumpers when Smith was on the bench; just 35 percent of his shots were taken in the mid-range (between 15-23 feet) when Smith was on the floor, per

So Smith's return in Game 5 could provide both a boost to the Knicks' bench and a better boundary for Anthony's shot selection.

"It’s very important to have him back," Mike Woodson said of NBA's top sixth man. "J.R. is a big piece to the puzzle."

A big piece to the Knicks' puzzle, and, maybe, to Anthony's.

Today's Burning Question: How important is J.R. Smith to the Knicks, and to Carmelo Anthony in particular?
 3 years ago '04        #9790

Nice job by J.R. Smith at least making light of black attire #Knicks wore. Bad job by Kenyon Martin for bristling at the questions, especially since he inspired the black movement. Was in poor taste and bad judgement all around, wearing black to the supposed #Celtics funeral. Surprised Woodson let it happen - or maybe he didn't really believe it would happen. #Knicks are an old team but that doesn't mean they are as mature as I thought. Shocked Jason Kidd and Tyson Chandler went along with it.
 3 years ago '04        #9791

The Knicks and J.R. Smith faded … to black.

In nothing short of a choke, the Knicks allowed the Celtics to keep their season alive and take Game 5 last night in a 92-86 shocker at the Garden, staving off the anticipated Boston “funeral.”

Once ready to sweep the Celtics, the Knicks cling to a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series which is headed back to Boston tomorrow, echoing memories of 2004 when the Red Sox rallied from a 3-0 deficit to shock the Yankees.

No NBA team has recovered from a 3-0 series deficit.

The Knicks got too full of themselves in the past few days, and it cost them. Smith bragged the series would be over if he had not been suspended Sunday. And following the lead of Kenyon Martin, all Knicks players had black jackets and black slacks hanging in their lockers before last night’s potential Game 5 closeout, anticipating the demise of the Celtics’ season. Embarrassingly, they were forced to wear their all-black garb afterward.
Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post
UGH! After arriving dressed in black for what the Knicks thought would be the Celtics’ funeral, J.R. Smith, tangles with Boston’s Jason Terry for a rebound during the Knicks’ 92-86 Game 5 loss last night at the Garden.

“We were going to a funeral, but it looks like we got buried,’’ said Smith, who said he won’t wear black to a game anytime soon. “We got humbled.’’

There was shoving and words after the final buzzer, and it appeared on replays as if Boston reserve Jordan Crawford made a vulgar comment about Carmelo Anthony’s wife. Again. No blows were thrown, but Raymond Felton had to be restrained, going after Crawford, who claimed he wasn’t in the vicinity. Kevin Garnett allegedly made a comment about Anthony’s wife, La La Vasquez, in a January game, prompting a postgame skirmish.

“Just bickering. Acting like a bunch of schoolgirls,” Smith said. “We got to just play basketball.’’

Smith, who got a standing ovation when he checked in with 6:38 left in the first quarter after serving his one-game suspension for elbowing Terry, was not the returning hero but the goat. He missed his first 10 shots in a horrendous outing, finishing 3-for-14 for 14 points, doing his best John Starks impression from the 1994 Finals.

Carmelo Anthony hurt his left shoulder early in the fourth quarter and labored through a 22-point, 8-of-24 dud. Anthony was 2 of 10 — 0-for-5 from 3-point land — in the second half but said he believes his shoulder “is fine.’’

Martin said after Game 4 he would wear black yesterday after Jason Terry told him Sunday he wouldn’t let the Knicks dance at their funeral. Martin and his teammates did, in a presumptuous move for a franchise that hasn’t won a playoff series since 2000. It also seemed in bad taste considering the recent deaths at the Boston Marathon.

Martin scolded a Boston TV reporter who asked about the all-black outfits the Knicks wore in the dressing room afterward.

“I’m just answering basketball questions,’’ Martin said. “If you want to talk about basketball, we’ll talk about basketball.’’

Asked if the all-black getup incited the Celtics, Iman Shumpert said, “I couldn’t care less.’’

When Jeff Green rolled to the hoop for a driving dunk with 8:00 left, the Celtics led 75-60 and the Garden became stone-cold silent. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce each scored 16 points and Jason Terry banged in 17.

“I just got too excited,’’ Smith said. “I couldn’t wait to play.’’

The Knicks offense collapsed without the spark from Smith or Anthony. They shot 5-of-22 from 3-point range — their bread and butter.

“Everyone’s upset, everyone was frustrated,’’ Smith said. “ If anything they swung the pressure on us [to go to] their building. Worst comes to worst we have two more games. We have to get one more and move on.’’

“They did what they had to do,’’ Martin said. “They came here and stole one.’’

Anthony, whose voice was shaky afterward, said the Knicks still are in good postion.

“We’re good,” Anthony said. “We got two chances to close it out. We’ll see what we’re made of when we get out to Boston. We know they’d f!ght and they’ve thrown some punches at us.”

Smith was 0-for-10 until making his first field goal with 2:47 remaining — on a 3-pointer from the left wing. He made his next 3-pointer to bring the Knicks to within 88-83 with 1:05 left, but it was too late. Garnett (16 points) iced it with a 20-footer, pump-faking Tyson Chandler, to push the lead back to 90-83 with 48.3 seconds to go.

The Knicks looked primed to blow out Boston in taking an 11-0 lead before falling to pieces.

“We are missing shots we normally make,’’ Felton said. “There are a lot of things we have to clean up. Yes, we wanted to sweep them. We wanted to end it tonight. Things are not always the way you want it to be.’’

Anthony, who was 10-of-35 in

Game 4, missed badly on many of his jumpers and seemed tentative all second half.

“We’re just not making shots,’’ Anthony said. “Nothing Boston is doing.’’

“No need to panic,’’ Jason Kidd said. “We’re still up 3-2. We just have to win a game.’’
 3 years ago '04        #9792

Could Amar’e Stoudemire be ready for Sunday’s Game 7 if necessary? This series might go seven games and coach Mike Woodson was preparing Stoudemire for the second round, which still could begin Sunday if the Knicks put away the Celtics tomorrow. However, the focus has shifted.

This was supposed to be a nice week off for the Knicks, who were talking about sweeping or taking out the Celtics in five games. Stoudemire would be acclimated for the second round with some practices.

But now as the Knicks gather for today’s practice, the Celtics are the priority, not getting Stoudemire his scrimmages. There’s a good chance Stoudemire is saved for the second round — if they get there.

Stoudemire hasn’t played since March 7 vs. Oklahoma City and has logged just 29 games this season in which the Knicks were only three games above .500. Stoudemire has yet to be officially cleared for contact, but that’s imminent.

“He’s making progress,’’ Woodson said before last night’s horrible 92-86 Game 5 loss to the Celtics. “But he’s not ready to play in this series. Provided he doesn’t have any setbacks he’s looking pretty good. If we get this series [last night] we’ll have days to practice with him and give him an opportunity for contact. That’s what he needs more than anything. If we can do that, we’ll evaluate and see where he is and maybe he can play.’’

Woodson repeatedly has said he will throw Stoudemire right into the second-round fire — which could turn into a dicey proposition. Stoudemire was rusty upon his first return on Jan. 1 from knee surgery. It took him at least a half-dozen games to look sharp offensively.

“We got to help Amar’e along a bit too,’’ Woodson said, regarding the decision to practice most of the next few days. “Were going to have to have guys ready to play [scrimmage], guys who haven’t played a lot of minutes in the series. Set them up to play where he can get some contact before we make a decision to put him back in uniform.’’

➤ Jason Kidd was presented the NBA Sportsmanship Award last night before the game. It was his second straight year he had won the honor. He is the first NBA player to win the award, given to the player who best represents the ideals of sportsmanship on the court,” in consecutive seasons. It is voted on by the players.

➤ Chris Copeland received two second-place and two third-place votes to finish seventh in the Rookie of the Year balloting. Pablo Prigioni didn’t receive a vote. The award went to Portland’s Damian Lillard.

➤ The Knicks turned the ball over nine times last night and still lost. … Steve Novak suffered back spasms and wasn’t available for the second half.
 3 years ago '04        #9793
Jared Zwerling

Every weekday throughout the season, will tackle a burning question about the Knicks in our "Opening Tip" segment.

Today's Burning Question: Are the Knicks on the verge of a historic collapse?

This is the first time in franchise history the Knicks have gone up 3-0 in a playoff series and then lost their next two games.

While that rings up some uneasiness among Knicks fans, the bottom line is this: No team has ever come back from down 0-3 to win a series.

The Knicks are also in the driver's seat because Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith have mostly played well in the series, and it's been rare for them this season to have a poor shooting performance two or three games in a row. But they're good scorers and find ways to adjust. That's a credit to their maturity, which Mike Woodson and their teammates have addressed this season. Another plus is that they're surrounded by several prolific veterans who have led their teams to deep playoff runs -- even the championship.

While the Knicks' funeral look before Game 5 exuded confidence, they shouldn't act too confident on the court in Game 6. That mentality got them into trouble on Wednesday night, and it showed in their lazy defensive rotations. The Celtics had some of the most wide-open looks they've had all series, and they finished at 45.7 percent from the field (the Knicks were at 39.5). The Celtics brought more of an intensity to the game.

The overall key for the Knicks in Game 6 is their half-court execution, on both ends of the floor. The Knicks are going to look to take advantage of their smaller lineups by pushing the pace, but the Celtics' transition defense has improved in the series. Therefore, when the Knicks are forced to slow it down and run half-court sets, they will need to be more clever and efficient than resorting to isolation play, like in Games 4 and 5.

The Knicks need to be more active offensively and defensively like they were when they took a 3-0 lead -- not active off the court. Enough with Smith saying things like the Celtics should be swept so he can play golf, or the team suggesting they're going to a Celtics burial with their black attire. That's only fuel for the Celtics.

The Knicks need to let their play on the court do the talking, but will it adjust well enough to stave off the Celtics?
 3 years ago '07        #9794
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
$16,367 | Props total: 268 268
whats goin on with the chemistry? last 2 games should have been easy wins..

imma need these dudes to get it together and make it to the finals
 3 years ago '04        #9795
ego happened, plain and simple. dumbasses thought it was gonna be a cakewalk
 3 years ago '04        #9796
Jared Zwerling

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- During Thursday morning's practice, Carmelo Anthony received treatment for his left shoulder, which he hurt in the fourth quarter of Game 5 after getting tangled up with Kevin Garnett.

Mike Woodson said he doesn't believe the injury will affect Anthony in Game 6 on Friday night in Boston.

"He's fine," the coach said. "Melo's a tough kid, he'll be back."

No player has had to grind more for his shots in the series than Anthony, who's been facing multiple matchups, constant double-teams and the physical nature of the Celtics' defense. Raymond Felton said the team needs to make things easier for him.

"Melo is taking a beating," he said. "Those guys are really being physical with him, beating him up. It's just one of those things where we have to give him some help, plain and simple."

The Knicks know they need to generate better ball flow, and Woodson said he'll likely give Pablo Prigioni more playing time in Game 6. The Argentine only played 13 minutes in Game 5.

In addition, Anthony might play more point forward to create easier scoring opportunities.

"Basically they've shrunk our offense by just staying at home on shooters," Woodson said. "So we've got to get the ball moving two or three passes more before we let it go, and not quick shooting as much."

Overall, Woodson doesn't take issue with his team's defense. After watching video of Wednesday night's loss, he thought his players contested the Celtics' shots down the stretch.

"If you look at Paul [Pierce], he hit a couple of 3s with a man right in his face, which he's capable of doing," he said. "And then [Jeff] Green hit two 3s deep in the corner. So those are big buckets -- even the shot that Garnett hit on Tyson [Chandler] at the top when it was, I think, about a four- to six-point game. ... I think defensively we're doing what we're supposed to do. We've just got to figure out offensively."

NOVAKAINE SHOT? Woodson said Steve Novak (back spasms) is doubtful for Game 6. The sharpshooter only played three minutes on Wednesday night. He was pulled out early in the second quarter and never returned to the game.

STAT UPDATE: Amar'e Stoudemire continued to participate in some team drills on Thursday, but he's still not scrimmaging. That will be the big test for his return, which will likely be in the second round if New York beats Boston.

"He's great," Felton said. "He's working hard to try to get himself back. If we can close this thing out in this first round, get on to the second round, hopefully we can have him back by then. ... Any time you've got a big-time scorer like that down in the post, it's always good to have him back on the court for sure."
 3 years ago '04        #9797

BOSTON – Carmelo Anthony said his wife La La Vazquez has a right to be “upset’’ that her name is reemerging during the Celtics series.

Boston reserve Jordan Crawford, according to amateur internet lip-readers, shouted a vulgar remark at the Knicks star about Vazquez after the final buzzer of Wednesday’s Game 5.

Vazquez instagrammed her disapproval Thursday.

“ I would be upset too if I was her,’’ Anthony said at the Knicks’ shootaround at Suffolk University this morning before the crucial Game 6. “She’s always getting thrown into the mix of the Boston Celtic series. I would be upset if I was her. She’s her own person at the end of the day.’’

The Knicks resume their series with Boston ahead 3-2 but after holding a 3-0 bulge.

“It’s nonsense to me,’’ Anthony said. “I don’t pay attention to it. I told you the other day it wasn’t worth you all typing that.’’

La La posted on her Instagram page: “STRONG WOMEN only intimidate weak men,” in a dig at Crawford.

She also wrote in a comment, “Try again. You on the bench for a reason.”

According to replays, it appears Crawford may have mouthed “That mother-.. “bleeped’’ your wife.’’ Carmelo Anthony (right) and wife LaLa Vazquez at the Jordan Brand National Game.Carmelo Anthony exchanges words with members of the Boston Celtics after Game 5.

It was in reference to Kevin Garnett, who allegedly set off a firestorm Jan. 7 at the Garden in which he may have said to Anthony that Vazquez “tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios.’’ Anthony tried to f!ght Garnett at the Celtics' team bus after the contest.

Wednesday, Anthony remained relatively calm after the remark but Raymond Felton tried to get at Crawford and needed to be restrained.

“As far as anything, basketball is the first priority,’’ Anthony said Friday. “No disrespect to anyone else. I’m trying to win this series. I told you all year long I’m not letting any negativity into our locker room or circle. That’s the way it’s going to be.’’

Unfortunately it hasn’t been that way in recent days. The Knicks have been pilloried for wearing all-black to Game 5 in honor of the Celtics “funeral.’’

Some guys on the team brought it up as a team,’’ Anthony said. “As a team we all followed through with it. We stuck together as a team. I don’t think any correlation to how we went out there and played. Being too overconfident , c*cky or arrogant. I know that didn’t have anything to do with game 5 at home. I thought we’d come out with a little more energy,’’
 3 years ago '08        #9798
AC_89 140 heat pts140
$33,081 | Props total: 4570 4570
No more 1st round or series win jokes onto indy i think the boston series is gonna help us out alot against the pacers i like us in 6 again
 3 years ago '10        #9799
$13,212 | Props total: 2570 2570
I loved the way Felton and Shumpert played that can tell those dudes really took it to heart
 3 years ago '04        #9800
Mark Hale

There is so much that Jason Kidd offers apart from scoring. He brings calmness, wisdom and experience, he’s active defensively and, as the backup point guard, he’s a facilitator for his teammates.

But over the course of the season, Kidd still delivered some scoring — especially when it mattered. He beat the Nets with a game-winning 3-pointer. He sank two from long distance against the Celtics in Game 1.

In the last five games, however, Kidd’s scoring has been a complete zero; he’s gone scoreless since Game 2 against the Celtics. The 40-year-old has missed all 10 shots he’s taken in this five-game scoring drought (0-for-5 from 3-point range). In Game 1 against Indiana on Sunday, he clanged his one attempt (also a 3).

“Jason’s gonna be there when it counts,” Mike Woodson said yesterday.

Kidd has been big in the playoffs during his career, carrying the Nets to two NBA Finals and winning a championship with the Mavericks two years ago. His lack of scoring now isn’t about being scared of the big stage.

And Kidd’s lack of scoring certainly isn’t the Knicks’ primary problem. He averaged 6.0 points during the season, so the team doesn’t need him to score to win — it’s not as if he’s J.R. Smith. Still, when Kidd literally offers zero from a scoring standpoint, it heaps even more pressure on Smith, Carmelo Anthony and Co.

Does Kidd need or want to be more aggressive? Not in his eyes.

“I’m gonna play the game the right way,” he said. “If a shot presents itself, I’ll take it. And if it doesn’t, I’m gonna try to get one of my teammates a shot. That won’t change.”

During the season, Kidd shot just 37 percent from the field but was a solid 35 percent from 3. In the playoffs, he’s just 3-for-18 overall and 3-for-12 from deep, averaging 1.6 points.

“We hadn’t played him a lot of big minutes,” Woodson said. “We’re kind of shuffling Jason, Pablo [Prigioni] and Raymond [Felton], both at the point and off-guards. And then you’ve got J.R. and Iman [Shumpert]. You can throw them in the mix.

“It’s a lot of players we’re trying to play, but there’s not a lot of minutes to give everybody big minutes. We’re trying to mix and match and do the best we can.”

While Kidd only played 17 minutes in Game 1, he’s averaging 25 per game in the playoffs, near his regular season mark of 27.

He’s not likely to play more, but scoring more — or at all — would be a lift.

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Major Tidday Alert Maria Bartiromo Just Brought The Left & The Right T..
2 days ago
most viewed right now
Video inside Chief Keef's mom (Lolo Carter) "Chief Keef is not slow, he's always bee..
2 days ago
most viewed right now
Video inside Hello Note 8! It's Here unboxing "Honor Note 8" Flossy Carter
2 days ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Boskoe's Thoughts on Young Thug's "Eat Me" Pic & Lil Uzi's Pose
2 days ago
most viewed right now
Which coast of rap music can u go without??
23 hours ago
most viewed right now
Netflix, PlayStation Network, and Twitter down as huge DDoS strike continues
22 hours ago
most viewed right now
Video inside Beanie Sigel Meek Mill Conversation Leaks... What Part of The Game is T..
23 hours ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Donald Glover Officially Cast as Lando Calrissian in Star Wars' Han So..
18 hours ago
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy