most viewed right now
Film(s) You Don't Like to Admit You Like
49 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Steve Kerr response to why Klay Thompson didn't play in fourth
48 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #8581
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,711 | Props total: 2231 2231
Carmelo Anthony would like to see Mike Woodson return as head coach of the Knicks for the 12-13 season.

"I'm a big supporter of what coach Woodson has done," said Anthony. "His approach to the game, and what he gets out of all his players, even me. He holds everybody accountable and that's what we need."

The Knicks are 16-6 under Woodson.

Anthony has repeatedly credited Woodson for holding players accountable.

Anthony said he never had a problem with D'Antoni.

"Me and Coach Mike never had any arguments, we never had any clashes or any disagreements," Anthony said. "We communicated. If it was something that he didn't like, I always went to him and said, 'Coach, come to me, let me know what you don't like; if it's something I'm doing, if it's something I'm not doing. As long as me and you is on the same page, none of this outside stuff should be (affecting us).'"

"I think it just became a lot of pressure from his standpoint, from my standpoint and then losing basketball games at the same time," Anthony added. "And who else were they going to put (as) the Clash of the Titans? It was me and Coach Mike."
 5 years ago '04        #8582
space
space
 Jae_Hood_354 said:
can we stop blake tom night?
if Chandler plays, thats possible (wouldn't be mad if he didn't cause we need a healthy Chandler to do anything in the playoffs) but if not, the REAL question should be is if Amar'e is willing to play consistent defense on him....and everyone knows the answer to that
 5 years ago '04        #8583
space
space
Based Hahn

"Long, thorough practice today for #Knicks, a rarity since Woodson took over. Also: No more corn rows for Amare."
 5 years ago '04        #8584
space
space
fu*king

"“@saintorange22: @alanhahn is he going with the fro???” no. Took them out to wash his hair. This is critical info"
 5 years ago '04        #8585
space
space
Based Hahn

"Melo reiterated his support in Mike Woodson returning as head coach. Amare seconded it. #Knicks"
 5 years ago '04        #8586
space
space
Berman

"Why does anyone let Melo get away with insistence he had good relationship with D'Antoni.? He's admitted he didn't play D for D'Antoni. "Me and Coach Mike never had any arguments, we never had any clashes or any disagreements," Anthony told Hannah Storm. "We communicated. If it was something that he didn't like, I always went to him and said, 'Coach, come to me, let me know what you don't like...And who else were they going to put (as) the Clash of the Titans? It was me and Coach Mike." "
 5 years ago '04        #8587
space
space
Hahn

"#Knicks officially name Glen Grunwald Executive VP and General Manager. Interim title has been removed."
 5 years ago '10        #8588
Agentzer0oo0 199 heat pts199
space
space
$65,289 | Props total: 10464 10464
 Born_Loser said:
Hahn

"#Knicks officially name Glen Grunwald Executive VP and General Manager. Interim title has been removed."

sh*t is about to get interesting, let's see if Grunnie can continue making smart moves...
 5 years ago '04        #8589
space
space
Iannazzone

Lin was moving slowly side to side and up and down court. No cutting that we saw. He's done shooting now. Walked off a little while ago."
 5 years ago '04        #8590
space
space
and Hahn was asked about Gadzuric playing and said he might get some burn tonight. all eyes are gonna be on that Charlotte/Orlando game tonight though for our chance to move up in the playoffs
 5 years ago '04        #8591
space
space
Tommy Dee

"Thanks IamaGM

RUMOR OF THE WEEK: If the New York Knicks don’t advance beyond the first round of the playoffs, I’m hearing they’ll make a major — repeat, major — push to lure legendary coach Phil Jackson out of retirement.

With money being no object, the scuttlebutt is the Knicks brass may offer the “Zen Master” a four-year, $50 million deal.

Thanks Gery Woelfel

Obviously nothing new here from what I’ve been hearing. Sources continue to tell me they are convinced a deal will happen with Phil barring a major run. And this isn’t a knock on Woodson this is what it is. Phil has not publicly said he doesn’t want the job. I’m speculating but the Grunwald announcement is a shrewd PR move keeping the distraction away from the team and its focus.

That’s my opinion based on many things I’ve heard about Phil throughout the league this season that have been reported here repeatedly.

Ken Berger of CBS has a source quoted saying this several months back…

“The feeling is, all Dolan would have to do is ask, and Phil would say yes,” a person connected to the former Lakers coach told me this week."
 5 years ago '04        #8592
space
space
obviously nothing new here, to say the Knicks would ONLY pursue Phil if they can't get out the first round is a joke.....real talk, IF Knicks can somehow win the championship with Woodson they would still make a run for Jackson in the offseason (as they should) Woodson's run has been a success and in any other scenario, an extension would have been given by now
 5 years ago '04        #8593
space
space
Based Hahn

Glen Grunwald had a tough act to follow after Donnie Walsh. The latter was a widely-respected, vastly-experienced and media-savvy executive who rejuvenated a troubled franchise just by his mere presence. Grunwald had experience, but he was not Donnie Walsh.

But that didn't make him underqualified.

All he was -- and continues to be -- is understated. But Grunwald proved enough this season that he may have also been underrated. He did a credible job building a solid roster around the team's stars, Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire, beginning with the stunning maneuver to land Defensive Player of the Year candidate Tyson Chandler.

This wasn't a move that appeared out of thin air when the NBA lockout lifted in December. Chandler's agent, Jeff Schwartz, had talked to the Knicks about other, lower-end free agents when he and Grunwald got into a discussion about Chandler's future. Schwartz said he let Grunwald know that Chandler would love to play in New York, if they could find a way to clear salary cap space.

Grunwald kept that in the back of his mind and went to his experienced staff, with Mark Warkentien, John Gabriel and Allan Houston, and discussed a top secret idea that carried a major risk: waive veteran point guard Chauncey Billups via the NBA's post-lockout amnesty clause to create the salary cap space to sign Chandler.

Essentially, this was creating a hole at one critical starting position to fill another. It was a bold move by an interim GM (the last time that happened, Frederic Weis was drafted) and no one -- no one -- saw it coming.

Chandler has not just proven to be a terrific acquisition on the court, where he has brought back a long-lost defensive character to the team, but he has also emerged as a strong locker room voice and one of the most likable, respected athletes in New York.

And so with a need for stability at the top of a Knicks team that now has a star-studded frontcourt core in its prime and two potential-laden young guards in Jeremy Lin and Iman Shumpert, Madison Square Garden executive chairman James Dolan on Tuesday removed the interim label from Grunwald's title as general manager.

"Glen has done a terrific job this season," Dolan said in a statement. "He is an intelligent, seasoned executive and we look forward to him continuing in the role of General Manager for many years to come."

The move ensures the group that built this roster will remain intact as it sees its way through a new era that comes with championship aspirations. Grunwald isn't an alpha in this equation, he is part of an Ocean's Eleven-type group dynamic that appears to be working well for the Knicks.

So if Grunwald, with impeccable administration and organization skills, is the brains of the outfit, then Warkentien, the former NBA Executive of the Year who prefers scouring the college game and roaming the D-League circuit to hanging in New York City, as the hustle. Gabriel, another former NBA Executive of the Year with connections all over the league, is the intelligence.

And then there's Houston, who has great potential as a smooth, level-headed front man. His credibility is growing by the day as Houston, who doesn't want to be just a smile in an empty suit, is spending time learning as many positions as possible, from D-League GM to an unofficial role as an a.ssistant coach behind the bench.

It is a group that has worked together for a year now and believes they compliment each other well. There are always disagreements and debates over players, strategy and, of course, the draft, and that's where Grunwald has to be the strongest personality.

There's still a great deal of work to be done here, so removing the interim tag from Grunwald's title should not be viewed as a reward of any accomplishment, but a confidence in his ability.

WOODSON ON DECK?

The front office was one of several critical areas that Dolan and Garden management had to address this offseason. After Grunwald, there still remains another interim title at a high-ranking position: head coach.

Could Woodson be next?

"I would love to come back," Woodson said after Tuesday's practice at MSG Training Center. "I think when you've been given an opportunity to start something, you'd love to finish it."

With 16 wins in his first 22 games since he was promoted in the wake of Mike D'Antoni's departure, Woodson has already built a case for himself.

"Again, that's not my call but I think when that time comes I'll probably have an opportunity to sit down and talk with Mr. Dolan and management about it; hopefully it'll work in my favor," Woodson added. "But right now that's not my concern. My concern is finishing these two games and getting this team into the playoffs and seeing how we can continue to play-on. That's what it's all about."

Playoff success -- which some may translate to mean at least a competitive showing against the Heat or Bulls in the first round, but may require a second round appearance -- may be all that's left to seal the deal for Woodson. And he certainly has a personal connection to the boss, as he and Grunwald are former college teammates who have maintained a long mutual respect.

But unlike Grunwald's position, where there weren't any no-brainer candidates available (names such as Ed Stefanski, Jeff Bower and Kevin Pritchard were bandied about last summer), Woodson is competing with a few marquee names, none bigger than Hall of Famer Phil Jackson. There is also the ubiquitous (and relentless) John Calipari.

If Jackson convinces the Garden brass that he's fully committed to winning a championship with the franchise where his playing career began and his mentor, Red Holzman, left a legacy, it's impossible to believe he'd be quickly dismissed. But the concern is that Jackson, at 70, may not have the necessary energy to handle the demands of a job.

What Woodson also has going for him is the endorsement of the team's current stars, beginning with Carmelo Anthony, who has been rejuvenated since the coaching change. Melo said at practice on Tuesday that he'd be happy to see Woodson back next season.

Of course you wouldn't expect him to say anything less two games before the playoffs are set to begin, would you? The contrast in Melo's performance before and after the coaching change is stark:

• In 32 games under D'Antoni, he averaged 21.3 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.8 a.ssists per game, and was shooting a career-low 40 percent from the field and 23 percent from three-point range.

• In 22 games under Woodson, he is averaging 24.9 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.4 a.ssists per game and shooting 47.1 percent from the field and a sizzling 48.8 percent from three-point range. Ironically, his three-point attempts per game is also a higher rate under Woodson than D'Antoni.

What stands out most is how locked-in Melo has become under Woodson, especially on the defensive end. The two developed a quick trust based on the fact that they needed each other.

"He's caught some heat this year from the media and somehow we've got to help Melo and Melo's got to help us get the heat off," Woodson said, "and you do that by winning and playing at a high level every time you step out on the basketball floor."

With D'Antoni gone, Melo faced the brunt of the criticism for the team's failure and Woodson quickly stepped in front of the bullets. He also put the ball in Melo's hands, but with the caveat that he earned his preferred isolation sets with an honest effort at the defensive end.

Melo quickly bought in and it wasn't long before the rhythm -- and that dynamically quick release -- finally arrived from Denver.

"Just to see what he's [brought] to our team, the confidence that he's instilled in everybody and the belief he has in everybody; just his coaching style, the way he's coached, kind of a hard-nosed coach, holds everybody accountable," Anthony said of Woodson. "I've been saying that -- everybody is responsible for their own actions. I would love to see him around here."

Stoudemire had far more of a loyalty to D'Antoni and he, along with Chandler and several other players, were initially displeased with D'Antoni's surrender to the power struggle with Anthony. But neither Chandler nor Stoudemire can aruge with the results or find fault with the structure and discipline -- two of D'Antoni's greatest weaknesses -- that Woodson has brought to the locker room.

The defensive-minded Woodson couldn't wish for a more reliable center and leader than Chandler. To get the intense, tireless Stoudemire defensively focused could, even more than Melo, be Woodson's greatest achievement.

Stoudemire has flaws there, but he's shown a sincere willingness to learn.

"Coach Woodson has done a great job for us," Stoudemire said. "He's done a phenomenal, phenomenal job. I love his attitude, I love his coaching style."

Stoudemire continued on to say "it would be nice" to see Woodson get the job full-time.

An endorsement from the team's $40 million-a-year duo may be all Woodson needs to secure his future in New York. Melo was asked if he'd go to management with the same statements he was making to the media.

"I'm pretty sure they're hearing it right now," he said with a grin. "Like I said, I would love to see him around here. That's all I can say."

Woodson's fate will be determined more by actions, not words. How the stars respond in the playoffs, how he handles the chess match of a playoff series will also be under the microscope.

FIXINS

• The Clippers loss in Atlanta on Tuesday means they no longer are playing for the Pacific Division title. However, they still have the incentive of clinching the No. 4 seed in the West to own home court advantage in their first round meeting with the Memphis Grizzlies, so it's hard to believe Vinny Del Negro will rest his main players, such as Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Especially not at The Garden. Wednesday night will be the season finale for the Clippers.

• Woodson said he is in "rotation mode" in these final two regular season games, so it doesn't sound like he plans on giving his starters any games off. He did say he will give newly-signed center Dan Gadzuric some burn against the Clippers to get a look at the journeyman big man. Gadzuric needs to appear in one regular season game to be eligible for the playoff roster.

• Ballots for NBA awards are due Friday from the national media. Chandler admitted he is hoping to win the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award. In fact, he said he focused on that during the offseason. "When I was training this summer, that was one of the biggest things I was thinking of," he said. His strongest competition will come from Thunder center Serge Ibaka, who leads the league with 3.7 blocks per game.

• Be sure to tune into Knicks Game Night on MSG Networks for the Knicks Fix regular season finale, which will include what Stoudemire told me about Blake Griffin's frustration with physical play, what Allan Houston has done to help Landry Fields' jump shot and my own NBA awards for the season.
 5 years ago '04        #8594
space
space
Berman

"#Knicks bumped from MSG Network tomorrow night for Rangers G 7. Charlotte game could be meaningless anyway. Will be on Channel 9."
 5 years ago '04        #8595
space
space
Clyde need to drop a fu*king album already

'Chris and Blake will be tryin to shake and bake, but the Knicks are up to the task to kick their ***!"
 5 years ago '04        #8596
space
space
since the 6th seed is not a possibility anymore, NYK doesn't care who they face in the first round. Chandler will play limited minutes and Melo might not even play at all
 5 years ago '04        #8597
space
space
Knicks will open the playoffs on Saturday....we shall see who we face after tonight

if we win, we got Miami
if we lose and Philly wins, we got Chicago
 5 years ago '07        #8598
Chief|m 51 heat pts51
space
space
$18,938 | Props total: 1000 1000
fu*k jeffries
 5 years ago '04        #8599
space
space
 Chixf Xscx said:
fu*k jeffries

*Stephen A voice* so disrespectful
 5 years ago '04        #8600
space
space
Thank You Based Hahn

It was just after the all-star break, when Mike D'Antoni was still filled with optimism and the Knicks had a favorable schedule to prepare for a playoff push. They went into the break with a 102-88 loss to the Heat in Miami, which dropped them a game under .500 at 17-18. The Heat swarmed Jeremy Lin with an obvious intent to completely snuff out whatever remained of Linsanity and after hanging in for most of the game, the Knicks succumbed to the frenetic pace in the fourth quarter.

Standing alone with D'Antoni after the Knicks held their first practice after the break, I mentioned to the coach that I was curious to see how his team would look by the time the Knicks and Heat met one last time in the regular season, on April 15 at The Garden. I suggested that if the championship aspirations D'Antoni and the players talked about in the preseason were to come to fruition, they were going to have to go through Miami.

D'Antoni, who was generally jovial in these conversations, gave me a serious look.

"We can beat that team," he said sternly.

In a playoff series?

"I'm telling you, we can -- no, we WILL -- beat that team," he said again.

D'Antoni didn't last long enough to be part of it, but we will soon find out if the faith he has in this group -- a faith that people close to him said was one of the reasons why he decided to step down before the season was lost -- is merited.

Make no mistake about it, despite a season series sweep, which included a 93-85 win at The Garden on April 15, the Miami Heat have a healthy respect for Mike Woodson's Knicks. They are no longer a disjointed group playing a wide-open offense, as was the case in the first meeting of the season. They are no longer a novelty, which is what surrounded them in the midst of Linsanity in the second game.

They are more like that team in the final meeting, which went punch-for-punch for most of the game until they failed to execute in the fourth quarter (which is supposed to be LeBron's job).

This will be an entertaining series for many reasons, beginning with the marquee star power on both teams, with only the worldwide icon, Jeremy Lin, absent. My heart wants to believe D'Antoni; it wants to believe the Knicks can reach back into history for yet another playoff upset over the heavily-favored Heat. The fan in me wants to sing Prince with Al Trautwig and Party Like it's 1999.

But the realist in me has watched the Heat all season. Watched them very, very closely. The road to an NBA championship for the Knicks' core players will have to go through South Beach. And while Woodson has this team playing as hard as we've seen a Knicks team play in over a decade, playing inspiring defense with a resilient attitude and, most importantly, with a pride for the name on the front of that jersey, you have to acknowledge that the Heat have been playing at an impressive level all season long.

Miami has been together for two seasons and had a long playoff run to the NBA Finals last spring. What they lack in depth -- and that's a major weakness -- they make up in star power, experience and chemistry. And when it comes to playing at Madison Square Garden, The Three Am-EGO-s want the bright lights of Broadway.

This is the perfect kick start for them, exactly what they'd want to prepare for another long playoff run.

This is why I am picking the Heat to win in 5.

But...

This is not last season's Knicks going up against the Celtics. That team didn't have a great deal of collective passion, mainly because the late season trade shook up the roster with very little time left to get re-acclimated. This year's team, however, is much, much different.

This is a very solid locker room with stars, led by Melo, but supported strongly by the only ring-bearer, Tyson Chandler, who have taken full ownership of the team. Though the schedule was only 66 games as a result of the lockout, this year has felt like three to four seasons in one. There has been enough drama to tear this team apart from the inside. There have been enough injuries to extinguish their spirit. There have been enough bad losses to lose faith.

But none of that ever happened.

Instead, this team just got tighter. What developed is a feeling that they've been together for more than just one year. That they've endured the embarrassments and the defeats. They've been through a few wars. Woodson never allowed a loss to linger, as had happened earlier in the season. The Knicks did not lose consecutive games under Woodson. That's a trend that can take you a long, long way in the playoffs.

No, this group doesn't have playoff experience together, but the final month of the season came with playoff-like intensity. And they already have the experience of some high pressure games, such as the showdown in Philadelphia and, of course, the ultimate must-win in Milwaukee.

Sure, the flameout in Cleveland cost them a shot at the sixth spot and facing the Indiana Pacers in the first round, a series that might have made them a favorite. But maybe this team is better with its back against the wall, which it has been all season. Maybe being a favorite doesn't suit them as well as being the team everyone is counting out. The team that everyone wants to count out.

The team that no one wants to face because they are so damn unpredictable. A team that plays playoff basketball built by gritty defense, a team that has the depth to overcome injuries. That has enough been-there, done-that veterans to not shy away from a moment.

A team that will have almost half the crowd in Miami wearing orange-and-blue, which cancels out home court advantage.

And I will say this: the Heat should win this series in five, but the Knicks can win this series in seven.

Now we see if Mike D'Antoni will be proven right. Now to hope I'm proven wrong.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX who the fu-k is this!!!!?
77 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Just got the 2016 Escalade
260 comments
24 hours ago
@rides
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside To this day...this is still the most impressive film ever made
55 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
231 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy finishes whole pizza while getting drilled by Chris Hansen
166 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
73 comments
1 day ago