New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Video inside Drake - talk is cheap feat aaliyah (leaked) fire!!!!
102 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
90 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I imagine these being the best b0obs, ever
64 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Warriors Coach Steve Kerr admits to smoking marijuana in the past year
88 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-16-2007, 06:34 PM         #701
cpalmer1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TheKidHypno' said:
yeah i remember that when marbury cried, he knew it was over lol

powwwwwwww found myself when i watched the game on tape

[pic - click to view]

GREAT SEAT!!
 10 years ago '06        #702
01seay 81 heat pts81
space
space
$20,431 | Props total: 1285 1285
New York has not finished above .500 since the 1999-2000 season and entered this year coming off a 23-59 campaign. They will end the season out of the playoffs again, but stiil 10 games ahead of last season.

Last spring, the high-profile conflagration between president Isiah Thomas and coach Larry Brown led to owner James Dolan appointing Thomas the coach. In the fall, to help him run the team, Thomas brought in trusted colleague Glen Grunwald, who previously had worked for him in Toronto (and later took over GM responsibilities for the Raptors).

Thomas recently received an extension on both his coaching and management responsibilities, and after a period of turmoil, the internal future of the Knicks is stable for the moment.

DECISION MAKERS

OWNER: CABLEVISION (JAMES DOLAN, Chairman)
FACT SHEET
Bought Knicks for $300 million in 1997
Current franchise value: $592 million
Owner's net worth: $494 million (as of 2005)

Sources: Forbes.com, USAToday.com SCORECARD
Seasons: 10
Playoffs: 5
Division titles: 0
East titles: 1
NBA titles: 0

GM SCORECARD
By John Hollinger ISIAH THOMAS
President, Basketball Operations and Head Coach
Seasons: 4
Playoffs: 1
Division Titles: 0
Conference Titles: 0
NBA Titles: 0

BEST MOVE: Drafting David Lee
The draft is the one area Thomas has been mostly on target, with the Lee pick being his most astute.

The 30th overall pick in 2005 has been one of the league's top sixth men this year, despite being selected long after busts like Yaroslav Korolev, Antoine Wright and Julius Hodge were off the board.

WORST MOVE: Signing Jerome James
There's a lot of competition for this dishonor, but I have to go with James' five-year deal for the full midlevel exception because of the immediacy of the reaction.

With other Thomas moves, like the Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis trades or the "let's-take-on-Jalen-Rose's-contract-and-then-waive-him-a-few-months-later" maneuver, there was at least a time lag before we saw how bad it would be. But everyone knew how foolish this move was the second it was announced.

TEAM STATUS REPORT

KNICKS CAP/TAX SITUATION
Free agent: Kelvin Cato

Players under contract (13): Renaldo Balkman, Mardy Collins, Jamal Crawford, Eddy Curry, Steve Francis, Channing Frye, Jerome James, Jared Jeffries, David Lee, Stephon Marbury, Randolph Morris, Quentin Richardson, Nate Robinson

Total for players under contract: $79,661,703

Waived (1): Jerome Williams

Total for waived player: $7,639,400

First-round pick: Chicago owns the right to swap picks with New York

Team options: None

Player option: Malik Rose

Total for player with player option: $7,101,500

Estimated NBA salary cap: $55 million

Maximum cap room for New York Knicks: None

Estimated luxury tax threshold:
$67 million (Knicks are expected to exceed threshold)

Compiled by ESPN.com staff

At $117 million this season, and a committed $93.5 million next season, New York is not only well beyond cap range, they are a significant luxury tax team. As a matter of fact, they play the league's most significant role in actually supporting the luxury tax system.

With the Knicks discounting Jerome Williams' contract towards their tax number through the league's amnesty clause, the $117 million tax figure is reduced to approximately $110 million, still well ahead of league pace.

Where the Knicks don't often receive fair evaluation, though, is in recognition of their market: a couple years ago the Knicks earned more than twice some teams every time they tipped off at the Garden and have access to an elite media market, including the parent company's ability to bring team and cable provider under one roof. In other words, though the Knicks' salary places them on their own playing field amongst all NBA clubs, it must be recognized that they are unique across the league in their ability to generate revenue.

While all the smoke last summer was generated by the Thomas-Brown feud, from a team-building perspective, the real news in New York largely went under the radar. How the Knicks of recent years have taken advantage of their wealth is by a) spending full midlevel contracts regardless of their tax situation, and b) turning expiring contracts into talented players whose deals go out several years -- in other words, they have been able to throw money at a problem.

But, while the Thomas-Brown feud grabbed much of the spotlight, there was a major policy shift in New York this summer. The buy-outs of two significant expiring contracts (Jalen Rose and Maurice Taylor) signaled a new fiscal strategy within the organization, namely a commitment to cap management more in keeping with the rest of the league.

While the Knicks' number of $93.5 million next season (pre-draft pick) still will lead the league, it is a tremendous reduction from where it presently stands. Additionally, unlike most clubs, it does not discount any present rotation players. As a matter of fact, New York's cap number remains fairly constant even the following season, with once again none of its own free-agent concerns to face.

The summer of 2009 is when New York will have to make decisions on many of its own players, but their '09 committed salary as presently reflected is approximately $45.5 million. Obviously there will be draft picks added along the way, possible free-agent acquisitions and other deals, but the fact is that New York's relative financial positioning is somewhat stable, with no major additions looming until the club has enough breathing space to manage them.

All of this, of course, precludes both the absence of midlevel additions and allowing expiring contracts to expire without re-generating them towards importing longer-term deals. Both of these are considerations that will have to be weighed against New York's ability to generate revenue, which in turn hinges upon team success.

THE FUTURE

With the emergence of Eddy Curry and David Lee as a pair of coveted front-line players, the Knicks' foundation appears to have been laid. This is crucial to the Knicks' future because if the fiscal policy is heading in a more conservative direction, much of New York's improvement will have to be internal.

With Marbury and Francis in their primes, and Crawford, Richardson and Jeffries all nearing theirs, the Knicks will look for a good portion of the growth to come from its next generation: Curry, Lee, Channing Frye, Nate Robinson, and its pair of rookies, Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins.

MAJOR ISSUES FOR KNICKS

• Develop the kids: Youth could be truth in New York

• Midlevel magic: Will Knicks spend wisely?

• Improve from within: Pressure's on current roster to make playoffs

Curry, while quickly becoming one of the league's most dominant post-presences, must become a more proficient rebounder; Lee brings a Rodman-type of energy and commitment to rebounding but has room to become more of a threat offensively.

Richardson, Crawford and Francis all have missed significant games this season, but each has shown he is capable of adding to the success and chemistry of the club: Richardson ranks behind only Lee in team rebounding, and Crawford has developed a solid chemistry alongside Marbury while providing a wild-card scoring punch.

Francis has played only 43 games this season and thus has been the odd man out of the rotation. During his rehab there were rumors of a buyout, but -- if the rumors were true -- with over $34 million due Francis the next two seasons, no agreement was reached.

Of the younger wave of players, it would appear that the Knicks would most benefit from Frye's progression. With Curry's post-scoring and Lee's rebounding, an intelligent 4 whose premier a.sset is his perimeter shooting would go a long way in cementing the frontline. Frye has the appropriate skill-set, but his game has not progressed to where he is as yet a fixture in the starting lineup.

With the veteran backcourt trio locked into significant deals that likely will run through the 2008-09 season (Francis and Marbury both hold ETOs -- or Early Termination Options -- in 2008 and Crawford in 2009, but all at numbers unlikely to induce the ETO), the Knicks show more roster flexibility up front and relating to their younger players.

While New York's payroll far exceeds its nearest competitor, the numbers do appear to have stabilized, with the core locked up for the immediate future and a tremendous financial reduction coinciding with the summer the club will have to deal with its own free agents. Furthermore, what's often lost in the large cap number is the Knicks' unique ability to generate revenue in New York. In order to do that, the club obviously must show signs of improvement and eventually compete for something significant.

Though still well below .500, there is cause for optimism in New York. If the Knicks are to use their midlevel exception this summer, they will add two significant players to their fold (the other being a first-round pick, which likely will be Chicago's). But given the recent financial conservatism reflected in the Taylor and Rose buyouts, is a midlevel contract a tool the Knicks will implement this summer? That likely will depend on whom they are able to spend it on.

Regardless, if New York is to become an elite NBA team, the structure of the roster juxtaposed alongside its payroll mandates that much of its improvement come internally. While the Knicks have five first or second-year players on the roster, Frye is the most significant piece in that if he were to break through a la Lee and Curry, he would help cement the frontline for years to come.
 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM         #703
cpalmer1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Until the NBA draft

[pic - click to view]

I will see my fellow Knick Fans then
 10 years ago '06        #704
lmnop 122 heat pts122
space
space
space
$20,874 | Props total: 931 931
 cpalmer1 said:
Until the NBA draft

[pic - click to view]

I will see my fellow Knick Fans then
Same here. There isn't much to talk about til the summer...
 10 years ago '05        #705
Da Real Talk 4 heat pts
space
space
$4,992 | Props total: 2 2
 MaDhOoPeD10 said:
Walt used to pimp it out back in the day...

[pic - click to view]

who got the knick's lottery pick this year?
We Do AGAIN:D
 04-20-2007, 07:58 AM         #706
LI's Finest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TheKidHypno' said:
francis jefferies and frye for garnett

do it zeke
-no team would trade for francis , they're gonna have to buy out his contract , same goes for jerome james

-jefferies is not going anywhere because they did give him quite the contract and he showed some good things at the end of the season ... he might not be able to shoot but he is a good defender and he plays smart , the key is to have quite a few scorers on the floor with him so that he does'nt have 2 handle the ball

- and frye does really need to be traded ... if anything would be made for garnett it would be more like crawford , collins , and frye ... or maybe nate , balkman and frye
 10 years ago '06        #707
TheKidHypno' 28 heat pts28
space
space
$8,383 | Props total: 65 65
 LI's Finest said:
-no team would trade for francis , they're gonna have to buy out his contract , same goes for jerome james

-jefferies is not going anywhere because they did give him quite the contract and he showed some good things at the end of the season ... he might not be able to shoot but he is a good defender and he plays smart , the key is to have quite a few scorers on the floor with him so that he does'nt have 2 handle the ball

- and frye does really need to be traded ... if anything would be made for garnett it would be more like crawford , collins , and frye ... or maybe nate , balkman and frye
i dont wanna see balkman and collins leave, they have shown they can play very good and have many many years left, and garnett only has maybe 4 or 5 left
 10 years ago '06        #708
lmnop 122 heat pts122
space
space
space
$20,874 | Props total: 931 931
ISIAH: STAY THE COURSE
By MARC BERMAN

April 20, 2007 -- Isiah Thomas, his presidential hat on again, would like to add a star this summer. He just doesn't expect to. Thomas does expect, however, to make the playoffs next spring with the same young cast.
In his state-of-the-Knicks address, Thomas believes the current group is good enough to make it to the promised land next season without any moves.
Insiders say Thomas will pursue big men Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal and look into landing free agents Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis in sign-and-trade deals. But Isiah realizes it's all a long shot.
Thomas confirmed he has no plans to use his $5 million mid-level exception on a free agent, which The Post reported after February's trade deadline. No more lateral moves.
"Every team wants that great player," Thomas said. "The teams that have that great player probably don't want to get rid of him. We'll just keep lugging along with what we have, and try to develop our young players and hopefully one day they'll be considered great players.
"I'm pretty happy with what we have," Thomas added. "If there was a chance to improve, I'll do that. I don't think I'll be aggressively out on the market chasing."
This "playoff" team finished disguised as a 33-49 outfit, seven games out of the last playoff spot, hit by a spate of injuries this in March and April. Thomas knows he can't be sitting here a year from now with the same spiel.
"I don't think we're that far away," Thomas said. "I fully believe this in my heart, this day we would be talking about who we're going to get ready to play, as opposed to the day we're having today if we hadn't been so depleted."

Thomas downplayed buying out Steve Francis, but seemed to be promoting his trade value or the notion of the Knicks guard retiring for medical reasons.
Francis appears to want a buyout, but Thomas would like him as a trade pawn.
"What we saw in Steve, when he's healthy, he's still a great player in this league," Thomas said. "You make room for that kind of guy. I don't think any change is being made unless someone gets hurt and can't play anymore."
Thomas' mid-level free agents haven't panned out - Vin Baker, Jerome James and Jared Jeffries.
A Knicks source said recently the Knicks' roster, especially with the signing of Kentucky center Randolph Morris and emergence of rookie Mardy Collins, is deep enough, and doesn't have room for another mid-level player. The roster needs to make room for the team's first-round pick from the Bulls (23rd).
The Knicks also are reducing payroll, as the mark goes from $120 million this year to $82 million next season.
"We're not in a position anymore where we have to take risks," Thomas said.
Thomas believes his young group established an identity as a low-post team centered around Eddy Curry. The Knicks will select 23rd and Thomas would trade the pick in a package for a star. He's looking to draft an outside shooter. The Bulls, with the Knicks' lottery pick, are seeded in a tie for eighth, just a 2.3 percent chance of landing Greg Oden.
"We may be able to get a solid contributor or someone we can develop down the line," he said. "We're a team right now unless the draft pick is really special, that guy will have a hard time playing for us."
Curry made a joking threat to Bulls coach Scott Skiles. Asked if he'd go to a Bulls playoff game as Skiles' guest, Curry said, "No. I might go to his house though. I know where he lives."

10 years ago '07        #709
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,270 | Props total: 1552 1552
 LI's Finest said:

I say they hold on to them because they could be used as trade bait for another player plus all the buyouts got them in this mess with the luxury tax
 04-26-2007, 08:00 PM         #710
cpalmer1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BxCastro said:
I say they hold on to them because they could be used as trade bait for another player plus all the buyouts got them in this mess with the luxury tax
Don't worry about the cap. they own MSG, MSG Network, Cablevision and are in NYC. things will work themselfs out.
 10 years ago '04        #711
pissin-on-game 
space
space
space
$2,050 | Props total: 0 0
jimmy buying the yankees
 10 years ago '04        #712
Born_Loser|M 81 heat pts81
space
space
$40,638 | Props total: 2138 2138
 cpalmer1 said:
Don't worry about the cap. they own MSG, MSG Network, Cablevision and are in NYC. things will work themselfs out.
exactly, that's why i laugh at dudes trying to clown how much money we owe, Knicks can afford the sh*t, aint a broke organization like some of the teams most of these d*ckriders is suckin off at the moment. some teams can't afford to make mistakes, Knicks obviously can...season was somewhat of a success, we improved and the ONLY thing that kept us out the players was too many key injuries in the final games
 10 years ago '04        #713
pissin-on-game 
space
space
space
knicks really do have a chance for rasheed lewis and if herb leave ewing will quickly come and he will make eddy more of a beast with d and jumpers
 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM         #714
icedout921 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I wish Herb got more of a chance at being the coach.

I think he'd do a good job.

Lewis is a good shooter but im worried about his D.
 05-01-2007, 06:40 PM         #715
cpalmer1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 pissin-on-game said:
jimmy buying the yankees
Jimmy needs to leave the Yankees alone.
 10 years ago '04        #716
pissin-on-game 
space
space
space
knicks to trade franics and james for paul gasol
 10 years ago '04        #717
Born_Loser|M 81 heat pts81
space
space
$40,638 | Props total: 2138 2138
 pissin-on-game said:
knicks to trade franics and james for paul gasol
i'll die in happiness if we got rid of James...Francis was actually playing good team ball around the ending, kinda have mixed feelings BUT if we can get Gasol, bi*ch BE GONE, bi*ch BE GONE

10 years ago '06        #718
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
$8,047 | Props total: 0 0
 Born_Loser said:
i'll die in happiness if we got rid of James...Francis was actually playing good team ball around the ending, kinda have mixed feelings BUT if we can get Gasol, bi*ch BE GONE, bi*ch BE GONE

you all know my motto...

fu*k FRANCIS....

and lil 50 too.....

Stephon Marbury / Mardy Collins
Jamal Crawford / Brandon Rush
Quentin Richardson / Renaldo Balkman
Jermain Oneal / David Lee / Jarred Jefferies
Eddy CUrry / Randolph Morris / Jerome James

id rather keep frye and start him at C.....have west coast feel to the lineup....but IT feels he need to lick curry's ball sac....so this is the best team we can feasabley run wit next year
 10 years ago '04        #719
pissin-on-game 
space
space
space
who is brandon rush you put in the line up?
 10 years ago '06        #720
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
$8,047 | Props total: 0 0
 pissin-on-game said:
who is brandon rush you put in the line up?
dude from kansas jayhawks.....wuts his name???

somethin Rush...

big 2 guard who can shoot the 3 and play some shut down defense late in ball games
Home      

most viewed right now
CAM'RON explains y he dont rock with that dirtbag JIM JONES anymore. Speaks on..
188 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 1 - woman knocked unconscious in Kroger baking aisle for asking ho..
123 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NFL Steelers LB James Harrison Gets Hit With His 7th "Random" Drug Test This Y..
77 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
172 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside I Watched The Funniest Standup Special Since Dave Chappelle's Killing E..
194 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole ethers Lil Yatchy
271 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chef Sharpens $1 Knife Making It As Good As A $1000 Knife
59 comments
1 day ago