New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Video inside Drake - talk is cheap feat aaliyah (leaked) fire!!!!
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
57 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Warriors Coach Steve Kerr admits to smoking marijuana in the past year
53 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I imagine these being the best b0obs, ever
42 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-02-2010, 04:57 AM         #7121
IAmazeMyself 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #7122
Born_Loser|M 81 heat pts81
space
space
$40,636 | Props total: 2138 2138
Knicks guard Larry Hughes has grown a beard and doesn't plan to shave it until he's traded, released or becomes a part of the team's rotation again.

"I'm not going to play," Hughes said. "I know that."

He has logged 15 minutes in two games over the last month. New York coach Mike D'Antoni played Jonathan Bender over Hughes this weekend when Al Harrington was sidelined with an injury.

Hughes was the only available player that didn't take the court in the team's pair of weekend games.

"(My frustration) is as high as it's going to get," he said. "I can't get any more frustrated than I already am."

Hughes is earning $14 million this season and can become a free agent on July 1. He calls January a "month lost" and revealed Sunday that he and his agent are constantly talking about ways to gain his freedom from the Knicks.

"We'll figure this thing out," Hughes said. "Hopefully sooner than later."
 7 years ago '04        #7123
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Alan Hahn

The Knicks had a 6-9 month in January and banished-to-the-bench veteran Larry Hughes played in only two of those games. Hughes played in 12 of the 15 games in December when the Knicks were 9-6, so on the surface -- which is generally as deep as some may care to look -- it suggests Hughes is the difference-maker.

Hell, we'll even toss in the Tuna defense: You are what your record says you are.

There is only one player you can directly a.ssociate with the frustrated Hughes' exile, and that's the previously-exiled Nate Robinson. During his 14-game ban in December, the Knicks were 8-6. Then Mike D'Antoni went back to him on Jan. 1 in Atlanta and a 41-point explosion mushroomed over Phillips Arena.

Now, Robinson's numbers weren't terrible in January. He averaged 13.8 points and 3.5 a.ssists and shot a decent 46.6 percent from the field. So from a numbers perspective, it's difficult to argue that Hughes would be more effective. Especially if you consider that in December, Hughes' best stretch of the season, he wasn't quite lighting it up off the bench. He averaged 8.8 points and 3.7 a.ssists off the bench and, most notably, shot just 32.4 percent from the field.

But, yes, in comparable blocks of the season, the Knicks were winning games when Hughes played and aren't again with Robinson back in the rotation.

And here's where the scale tips in favor of Hughes. Robinson didn't have many big scoring nights after the 41-point performance and his defense always leaves little to be desired. He has this maddening penchant for backpedaling deep into the defensive zone after he makes a basket, which allows the opposing guard to comfortably walk the ball up the court without any pressure. Why not be more aggressive here and on a make jump right into your mark's kitchen and hound him to the timeline?

In Minnesota, Nate actually went all the way back to the foul line after a make and then turned into a traffic cone, as Jonny Flynn motored right by him for a layup. What good are two points at one end when you immediately give up two on the other end?

Hughes played a big part of D'Antoni's zone defense because of his long arms and overall length at the top of the 2-3. Robinson's speed should make him extremely effective in the zone because of his ability to recover, but, again, the honest effort isn't there anymore (at least not after a few games in early January).

Hughes' performance dipped notably after his groin injury kept him out a few games in the middle of the month. It had a noticable impact on his shot, which is already suspect even when he's healthy, and slowed him on defense. Now Robinson is battling a hammy, which could be why his shot has been so inconsistent lately. But you can't blame it on his defense because, let's be brutally honest here, we all know Nate uses defense to recharge his battery. That's just the player he is.

With the playoffs fading quickly and defense falling back into old habits, D'Antoni needs to rethink his rotation, but do you really want to reward a player who has done nothing but gripe and complain -- especially after a 43-point win -- and take shots at the coach in the meantime? You should never let the inmates think they can run the asylum.

Robinson may have that ability for sudden scoring outburts that may help you win a game here or there, but we're seeing the same tendencies as last season, when it all fell apart. Chris Duhon can not handle a heavy workload and the team falls apart once he goes to the bench (which is as alarming as it sounds, all things considered). Robinson has proven he is not comfortable running the offense, which means the Knicks are once again without a true backup point guard (or, as we've argued here before, forcing a true backup to be the starter). Overall, Robinson is pretty much is back to playing the way he wants to play, which brings us back to the asylum line.

Really, rather than moving them around again, perhaps its time for new inmates.

Speaking of which, has anyone paid attention to Tony Allen lately? If the Celtics are still interested in Robinson, perhaps the Knicks reconsider. Allen can play defense and, as we've seen lately, can provide some offensive help. Of course if you take Robinson out of the equation, the Knicks bench, which was outscored 51-8 without Al Harrington on Sunday in Minnesota, would lose a great deal of offense.

Again, how's it working out for you this way?

>> See Knicks game and player photo galleries

A night after the Knicks held their annual "Knicks Bowl," which benefitted the Garden of Dreams Foundation, John Starks is hosting his own celebrity bowling tournament at Lucky Strikes on 42nd Street to raise money for his foundation, which provides college scholarships to disadvantaged high school students. The event is closed to the public, but Starks' work is something to appreciate, especially when you consider his own humble beginnings.

The "3-Point Scholarship" a.ssists financially-challenged families of high school seniors in the New York tri-state and Tulsa, Ok. (his hometown) areas who demonstrate academic excellence and make significant community service commitments. The scholarship to date has helped over 150 students with grants toward college.

The Knicks have raised over $1.5 million for the Garden of Dreams foundation through their annual bowling event since 2000.
 7 years ago '04        #7124
space
space
alanhahn

I don't see it for Feb. 18, but if BOS is ready to pass on Ray Allen, I can see him fit in NYK plans for 2010 (at a fair price, of course).
 7 years ago '04        #7125
space
space
Knicks forward Danilo Gallinari is expected to participate in the three-point shooting contest during All-Star Weekend later this month.

The New York Post first reported Gallinari's expected participation.

Gallinari is shooting 39.6% from behind the arc this season, with 122 made three-pointers, which leads the league.
 7 years ago '07        #7126
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,875 | Props total: 161 161
1) f**k... we're cellar bound (above the nets)
2) i'd like to see Ray Ray in a Knicks jerz (for the low)
3) let's make a move for Ramon Sessions... been wanting this dude in blue n orange
4) JJ/Hughes for Mike James/Miller is cool... i'm actually coming around to JJ but f**k his contract
5) Give J Hill and T Doug some more PT
 7 years ago '04        #7127
space
space
for those who want free tickets for tonights game

thenyknicks

At 5:30pm, be here ,find John Starks, show a @TMobile_USA phone & score 2 tix to tonight's game vs. WAS (+ a tee).

this is why i'm on twitter, can get mad s**t if you follow the REAL things and not bots/spam
 7 years ago '04        #7128
space
space
New York Knicks legend and Basketball Hall-of-Famer d*ck McGuire, who helped shape the franchise’s destiny for more than half a century, passed away today on Long Island at the age of 84. He died at Huntington Hospital of natural causes. McGuire, who had been part of the Knicks for 53 of the franchise’s 64 seasons, served the team as a player, head coach, a.ssistant coach, chief scout, and in his most current position of senior basketball consultant. His jersey No. 15 was retired on Mar. 1, 1992 and hangs from the rafters of Madison Square Garden. In 1993, McGuire was enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. “d*ck McGuire was the epitome of what it means to be a Knickerbocker: pride, tradition and class,” said Donnie Walsh, President, Basketball Operations. “It was an honor to watch him play for our hometown team and I consider myself very lucky to say I worked alongside a man who shaped the National Basketball a.ssociation for parts of all eight decades of its existence.”
 7 years ago '04        #7129
space
space
The man who has been synonymous with New York City basketball for more than half a century, Hall of Famer d*ck McGuire celebrates his 53rd season as a member of the Knickerbockers in 2009-10.

With the conclusion of the current season, will have touched each of the eight decades of the club's history as player, coach, chief scout, director of scouting services and now as senior basketball consultant...Named to current post in 2006...Has been a Knick for 53 of the franchise’s 64 years (including each of the last 45 seasons).

Long recognized as one of game's greatest judges of talent...Basketball acumen has played major role in the drafting of two-plus decades’ worth of talent, spanning from Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland, Greg Anthony, Hubert Davis and Charlie Ward to Nate Robinson, David Lee, Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari.

Place among game’s immortals was certified in 1993, with long-overdue election to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame...His Knicks No. 15 was formally retired on Mar. 14, 1992...Inducted into Madison Square Garden Walk of Fame in September 2003...Namesake and winner of first annual d*ck McGuire Knicks Legacy Award in March 2009.

Earned All-America honors at St. John's in the 1940's...Knicks' top draft pick in 1949.

During eight seasons as a Knick (1949-50 through 1956-57), notched 2,950 a.ssists, still third-best on all-time franchise list behind Walt Frazier and Mark Jackson...Chalked up then-NBA record 386 a.ssists in 1949-50, which stood as team rookie mark for nearly four decades (broken by Mark Jackson in 1987-88)...Led Knicks to three straight NBA Finals (1951-52-53)...Traded to Detroit in 1957; played three seasons w/Pistons and became player-coach in December 1959...Retired as player in 1960, logging 738 career games with 8.0 points and 5.7 a.ssists...Appeared in seven NBA All-Star Games...All-NBA Second Team in 1950-51.

Succeeded Harry Gallatin as Knicks head coach on Nov. 29, 1965, and has remained with Knicks ever since...Coached Knicks to 1967 NBA Playoffs, ending NY’s seven-year post-season drought and igniting streak of nine straight post-season appearances that included ’70 and ’73 NBA titles...On Dec. 27, 1967, d*ck and Red Holzman exchanged positions (Holzman became head coach, McGuire chief scout and a.ssistant coach)...Compiled a 197-261 mark as an NBA head coach (75-103 with Knicks)...Led Pistons to NBA Playoffs in all four seasons as Detroit's head coach.

Member of both the Garden’s Hall of Fame and Walk of Fame...Enshrined in St. John's University Athletic Hall of Fame, Suffolk County Sports Hall of Fame and New York City Sports Hall of Fame...1990 charter inductee into New York City Basketball Hall of Fame...Honored in 1987 by NBA Coaches a.ssociation.

Brother of late, legendary Marquette coach and analyst Al McGuire, a Knick teammate in early '50s...The McGuires are the only brother combination enshrined in Springfield, and are also enshrined in New York City Basketball Hall of Fame.

83 years young (Jan. 25, 1926; Bronx, NY)...Lives in Dix Hills, NY, with wife Teri...d*ckie and Teri have four grown children - Richard Jr., Leslie, Michael and Scott - and seven grandchildren...Scotty has joined his dad on Knicks' scouting staff since 1988.
 7 years ago '04        #7130
space
space
Knicks president Donnie Walsh didn't expect the team to play as poorly as they have this season.

"I don't like the way we played, it was a disappointment," Walsh said after practice Tuesday. "I didn't see the intensity, which you have to have at this point. That has to pick up."

The Knicks lost nine of their last 12 games in January and they have a brutal schedule up ahead.

"I didn't expect this," said Walsh. "If we want to compete for a playoff spot, we've got to play with more purpose, more force and more commitment."

Walsh is talking to other teams about trades, but gave no indication that anything is imminent.
 7 years ago '04        #7131
space
space
alanhahn

Al Harrington will play tonight for #Knicks.
 7 years ago '04        #7132
space
space
thenyknicks

Our first 'Tweep 2 Seat Upgrade' is tonight. Shoot us an @reply if you're here & you could win a seat upgrade during the 2nd Q.

damn....win free tickets and you could have gotten closer seats damn
 7 years ago '04        #7133
space
space
Alan Hahn

Donnie Walsh considered the fact that d*ck McGuire, who passed away today at age 84, was the man who scouted and pushed Eddie Donovan to draft him in 1967.

"That's a pretty good one right there," Walsh said. "That can keep your job forever."

Actually, it did. McGuire was a Knick lifer, with an astonishing 53 seasons with the franchise as a player, coach and scout.

"He's an NBA guy that very few attain that stature where everyone in the league loved him," Walsh said. "And he was identified with the New York Knicks for all this time."

The Knicks tonight will have a moment of silence before the game and pay tribute to one of its greatest players. A spotlight will shine on his No. 15 jersey, which was retired in 1992.

The team is in the process of having a patch made, bearing the No. 15, for the team's uniform to wear for the rest of the season. There was not enough time to get it done for tonight's game, but the team is expected to have it for Friday's game against the Bucks.

* - Al Harrington returns to the lineup tonight after he missed two games with a bruised knee. Mike D'Antoni said Harrington tested the knee out earlier in the day and while it's still sore, Big Al can go. The Knicks missed his scoring off the bench in Minnesota on Sunday, when they were outscored 51-8 by the Timberwolves bench.

* - The Wizards will be without Caron Butler, who has a left knee injury, according to the Washington Post.
 7 years ago '04        #7134
space
space
nice to see us winning a must needed game...disappointed that i won't be able to see Hughes "out-beard' Freeway
 7 years ago '04        #7135
space
space
alanhahn

D'Antoni benched Duhon for second half. Hints to starting Nate next game.
 7 years ago '04        #7136
space
space
Mike D'Antoni kept Chris Duhon on the bench for the entire second half of the Knicks' home game versus the Wizards Wednesday night.

Nate Robinson started in Duhon's place and propelled the Knicks to a 107-85 victory. Robinson led the team with 23 points and added 8 a.ssists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals with only 2 turnovers.

After the game, D'Antoni indicated that Robinson could start the next game, which could mean that Duhon has played his way out of the rotation.

Larry Hughes, who had been complaining publicly about his lack of playing time, saw action and had 11 points.
 7 years ago '08        #7137
AC_89 147 heat pts147
space
space
$33,785 | Props total: 5521 5521
 Born_Loser said:
alanhahn

Yea its time for nate to start tonight proved it
 7 years ago '06        #7138
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
$8,047 | Props total: 0 0
 7 years ago '07        #7139
Truth B T0ld 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,536 | Props total: 278 278
 Born_Loser said:
alanhahn

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #7140
space
space
Alan Hahn

Been a while since I referenced lyrics, Fixers, but this is fitting. Not quite my typical genre, but fitting:

Jesus, take the wheel,

take if from my hands

'Cause I can't do this on my own

I'm letting go, so give me one more chance

to save me from this road I'm on . . .

Mike D'Antoni's stubborn loyalty to the highly ineffective Chris Duhon came with good reason. Duhon running the offense meant D'Antoni still had some control of it.

But what good is control of the offense when you don't have any control of the season?

It may have been a long time coming, perhaps even long overdue, but D'Antoni appears to be ready to give Duhon a turn on the bench. At halftime Wednesday night he opted to start Robinson to inject some desperately-needed energy into a flatline game and it worked in what turned into a 107-85 win over the Wizards.

Robinson had 14 of his 23 points in the second half and added a season-high eight a.ssists. But while D'Antoni admitted after the game that Robinson could supplant the slumpingDuhon in the starting lineup, let's not mistakenly refer to Nate as the "point guard."

What D'Antoni really went with in that second half was a lineup without a point guard. Or one that handled the role by committee.

Robinson certainly did bring the ball up and ran a few plays, but really his role was to be primarily a scorer, which is his strength. What the Knicks can do is relieve some of the responsibilities of being a "floor general" (read: getting others involved) by having other players -- Larry Hughes, Jared Jeffries and David Lee -- handle the offense to allow Robinson to focus on scoring and getting up the floor for some quick baskets.

[One notable statistic from the game was that the Knicks finished with 88 field goal attempts while Washington had just 77. That's a huge disparity, when you consider both teams were very close in free throws (The Knicks had 8, Wizards 7) and turnovers (Washington had 14, Knicks 10). But the Knicks had 12 fast-break points and 15 second-chance points. They had 14 offensive rebounds compared to only four -- four! -- by Washington, which had 24 in Saturday's game in D.C.]

The eight man rotation seems to now include Robinson, Hughes, Jeffries, Lee, Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Al Harrington and if not Duhon than rookie Toney Douglas, whom D'Antoni said he planned to give another look. Remember in training camp when D'Antoni toyed with the idea of playing Robinson and Douglas together as a tandem, to wreak havoc as a full-court pressing backcourt that can also zip down the court and score?

Anyway, before we get too ahead of ourselves, let's acknowledge that for 24 minutes against a very weak defensive team in the Wizards everything seemed to work nicely. We've seen this before, of course, so you can understand D'Antoni, though relieved to get a win after three straight L's (and two alarmingly lackluster performances over the weekend), sounded extremely hesitant as he talked about his latest smoke-and-mirrors tactic.

"I've been on that limb a few times," he said, "and it was sawed off."

Hughes was certainly pleased to finally get minutes again and seemed to do so at the expense of a big: rookie Jordan Hill (DNP-CD). Hughes played 18 minutes and scored 11 points and looked effective on defense like he did in December. After a month of complaining and days after he said he was looking forward to Feb. 18 (the trade deadline), Hughes seemed satisfied again. And he explained his frustration a lot better this time around.

"The reality is I get paid a lot of money [$13.6M] and I want to earn it," he said. "I want to be ran until my tongue's hanging out. That's how I am. When I don't get the chance to play, it just frustrates me."

D'Antoni promoted the notion that he doesn't pay attention to the media-driven controversies, such as Hughes widely-reported dissatisfaction with not playing and direct and public criticism of the coach.

"I don't hear the chatter, I don't listen to the chatter, I don't really care about the chatter," D'Antoni said. "I understand the frustrations, but I'm just trying to put the best guys on the floor. I'm not going to get it right all the time, because I don't have a crystal ball. But the intent is to see how good we can play. [Hughes] was working, he practiced. I thought he had a good practice yesterday. I thought we needed something, obviously. You keep losing, you got to change something up."

There are 36 games left in the season, with three to go before the all-star break. The Knicks (19-29) still need somewhat of a miracle -- or misfortune for Miami, Chicago or Charlotte -- to get a playoff berth. But D'Antoni seems to have come to the conclusion that there is nothing more to lose, other than his team. So with seven expiring contracts all with personal agendas (admittedly or not), he seems to be ready to let go of the wheel and hope that those agendas can somehow work congruently.

Really, with the Knicks expected to do very little, if anything at all, by the trade deadline, what other option does D'Antoni have at this point?

Meanwhile, Duhon took the benching -- and the potential demotion from the starting lineup, with a twinge more professionalism than some of his other teammates throughout the season.

"Whether you're starting is not the biggest thing in the world," Duhon said. "It's all about wins."

* - We heard tonight that Danilo Gallinari was officially asked by the NBA to participate in the Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout. Gallo accepted and will compete on Feb. 13 in Dallas, though the NBA has yet to release the contenstants. Gallinari will be the sixth Knick to participate in the shoot-out and the first since Quentin Richardson in 2006. No Knick has ever won the event. The highest finishes were Trent Tucker (1986) and Charlie Ward (1998), who both finished fourth. Gallo hit four treys against the Wizards to raise his league-leading total to 126 three-point field goals made.
Home      

most viewed right now
CAM'RON explains y he dont rock with that dirtbag JIM JONES anymore. Speaks on..
179 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 1 - woman knocked unconscious in Kroger baking aisle for asking ho..
117 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Chef Sharpens $1 Knife Making It As Good As A $1000 Knife
54 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 GS “Red Velvet” Official Images
20 comments
21 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside I Watched The Funniest Standup Special Since Dave Chappelle's Killing E..
189 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Was Born Ready. I'm Sure you can Guess What for
151 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
J.Cole dissing Kanye on new song "False Prophets"
338 comments
19 hours ago