Toronto Raptors Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside Tay K has signed a record deal with 88 Classic Records worth millions.
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '05        #461
BlastttOFF 
space
space
$2,768 | Props total: 18 18
one more game and we clinch third seed.

that means we can rest everyone and hope the wiz win and the nets lose.

lets go raps
 11 years ago '04        #462
ChrisBosh4_ATL 
space
space
$1,978 | Props total: 0 0
Man the last few games have been ugly, lets just hope theyre slowing it down for the playoffs. I going to game 1 so they better be ready for that sh*t...
 11 years ago '06        #463
01seay 83 heat pts83
space
space
$20,980 | Props total: 3526 3526
Using all the tools at its disposal (draft, trades and significant cap room), Toronto radically altered its roster coming into the season, adding nine new players.

Now Toronto has its first division title and great buzz going into the Eastern Conference playoffs, with president Bryan Colangelo and coach Sam Mitchell among the favorites to win the hardware for Executive of the Year and Coach of the Year.

DECISION-MAKERS

OWNER: MAPLE LEAF (LARRY TANENBAUM, Chairman)
FACT SHEET
Bought Raptors for $125 million in 1998
Current franchise value: $315 million
Owner's net worth: $297 million (as of 2005)

Sources: Forbes.com, USAToday.com SCORECARD
Seasons: 4
Playoffs: 3
Division titles: 1
East titles: 0
NBA titles: 0

GM SCORECARD
By John Hollinger BRYAN COLANGELO
President, General Manager and Alternate NBA Governor
Seasons: 1
Playoffs: 1
Division Titles: 1
Conference Titles: 0
NBA Titles: 0

BEST MOVE: Trading Rafael Araujo for Kris Humphries
This was a too-good-to-be-true trade -- the Raptors dealt a guy who absolutely, positively can't play, and gained a young forward who has proved helpful off the bench and might be quite good a few years down the road.

The deal saved them a few ducats in cap space, too, helping Colangelo in his raid of Europe last summer.

WORST MOVE: Trading Charlie Villanueva for T.J. Ford
Colangelo hasn't made any Babcock-level gaffes, but I remain skittish about this deal.

Ford has been better than advertised so it's worked like a charm so far, but he'll cost a lot more than Charlie V does starting next year, and I still maintain Villanueva will be better in the long term.

TEAM STATUS REPORT

RAPTORS CAP/TAX SITUATION
Free agents (4): Darrick Martin, Morris Peterson, Uros Slokar (r), Pape Sow (r)

Players Under Contract (10): Andrea Bargnani, Chris Bosh, Jose Calderon, Juan Dixon, T.J. Ford, Jorge Garbajosa, Joey Graham, Kris Humphries, Rasho Nesterovic, Anthony Parker

Total for players under contract: $50,624,997

Waived (1): Alvin Williams

Total: $4,516,484

First-round pick: To Charlotte via Cleveland (protected 1-15 for '07; 1-14 for '08; no protection '09)

Team Options: None

Player Options: None

Limited Salary Protection: None

Estimated Cap: $55 million

Maximum cap room for Toronto Raptors: None

Estimated luxury tax threshold:
$67 million (Raptors not expected to reach threshold)

Compiled by ESPN.com staff

After finishing 27-55 in 2005-06, the Raptors had a plan in place and strategically positioned themselves to a.ssume significant cap room over the summer. They then added to their means of improvement by winning the draft lottery in May. Combining these potent a.ssets with their existing roster, the Raptors have reconstituted themselves and put themselves among the contenders in the Eastern Conference.

In a very busy summer, Toronto first traded Rafael Araujo to Utah for backup forward Kris Humphries. Next it dealt Eric Williams and Matt Bonner to San Antonio for center Rasho Nesterovic.

Following that deal, the Raptors used the first pick in the draft to select the talented young 4 from Italy, Andrea Bargnani. Because Bargnani's skill set somewhat resembled that of the club's power forward, Charlie Villanueva, who was coming off a very good rookie season, Toronto traded Villanueva to Milwaukee for T.J. Ford and thus answered any questions it may have had at the 1.

After all these moves involving trades or draft picks, the Raptors then set about to utilize their cap room.

They first signed Jorge Garbajosa, who had been one of the premier 4s in Europe for several years. Next they signed Anthony Parker, a 1997 first-round pick who, after playing out his rookie contract for Philadelphia and Orlando, had excelled for several years at Maccabi Tel Aviv and had for years been regarded as Europe's best 2-guard. Last, they came close to a deal that would have added John Salmons to the roster, but when Salmons did a late 180, the Raptors instead signed Fred Jones to a three-year deal. (They recently traded Jones to Portland in exchange for Juan Dixon.)

It has been a frantic year for Toronto, and the club has benefited both from the planning that brought about its cap room and the execution in utilizing that cap room, along with its other a.ssets.

Unlike many other teams with significant cap room, Toronto elected not to pursue a max-caliber "star" player right away, instead going the route of adding depth with smart, veteran role types such as Garbajosa and Parker. Both have been solid contributors, but Parker in particular has posted an excellent season which has largely gone under the radar: in 33 mpg he has averaged 12 points on 44 percent 3-point shooting while grabbing nearly four rebounds and posting two a.ssists per game along with just one turnover.

THE FUTURE

As for its star power, Toronto is hoping to have enough on the roster and in development.

In Chris Bosh, that is a safe bet. Bosh is already one of the league's elite big men and is rapidly improving. At just 23, his combination of length, quickness, skills and character makes him one of the league's most coveted a.ssets.

MAJOR ISSUES FOR RAPTORS

• The Winner Within: With no pick and little room to maneuver, Raptors count on improvement

• Mo Pete: Whither the Raps' all-time leader in games played?

• Good to the core: Bosh and Bargnani are young, big, talented and a great foundation

The 21-year-old Bargnani has shown marked improvement already and has given glimpses of his star potential as well. With this talented front-line duo developing together, the Raptors may have found not only an elite pair of bookend front-line players for years to come, but the anchors to their cap structure.

The Raptors have already extended Bosh through the 2010-11 season (he holds an early termination option for the final season). But even with his extension beginning next season and taking his salary to more than $8 million, the Raptors' team payroll will increase only approximately $3.5 million next year.

This number does not apply cap holds but is more realistic than most teams' present figures. Discounted in this figure is Morris Peterson, the veteran 2 who will become an unrestricted free agent this summer, among others. Peterson's minutes have been reduced this season in the wake of the depth added to the wings, but he has performed solidly.

There were trade rumors surrounding Peterson this past deadline, and the fact Peterson remains a Raptor can signal one of the following: Toronto did not believe there was an available upgrade; it wants to continue forward with Peterson; or, in budgeting for the future, it did not want to convert his expiring contract into importing a long-term deal.

With Toronto's summer number standing slightly below the salary cap level, the team does not presently appear to have significant cap room this summer -- but could with the right deal.

The following season Toronto's cap number goes down approximately $5 million, but this is without applying the salary slot of its draft pick or, more importantly, point guard Jose Calderon, who signed as a free agent during the summer of 2005 and has played very well this season, increasing his value significantly.

One very important point is the Raptors have their core players signed to the longest contracts; Bosh and Ford are under contract through the 2010-11 season, and Bargnani's rookie deal doesn't expire until the season before that. By signing the majority of its free agents to comfortable midrange deals -- both regarding price and years -- Toronto has given itself both financial and roster flexibility.

If, by the end of his rookie contract, Bargnani has shown signs of growing into an elite 4, Toronto will have developed a strong core around which it can stabilize its payroll, and then can look for the best supporting cast, a la most of the league's elite clubs.

In the meantime, there is no need to rush to judgment; by constructing their payroll the way they have, the Raptors can afford to take the necessary time to observe the young players and make changes accordingly as the veteran contracts begin to expire. They also have a varied stable of a.ssets which will allow them to be active in the trade market if they choose to do so.

While the Raptors will likely have neither significant cap room nor a first-round pick this summer, they have positioned themselves for marked internal improvement, most notably in the form of Bargnani, but also in the team's evolving chemistry and the continued progress of Bosh and Calderon, who, though a veteran of the ACB in Spain before arriving in Toronto, is only 25.

While the Raptors largely shot their wad last summer, they did so within the structure of a well-thought-out design. Their decisions have given them both immediate results in the W-L column and sound positioning relating to both roster and cap flexibility as they proceed forward.
 11 years ago '05        #464
slanger55 2 heat pts OP
space
space
$4,611 | Props total: 864 864
nice post man props
 04-17-2007, 11:09 PM         #465
mhoul104 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Raps will take it ...they just need to stay off the injury list if possible
 11 years ago '07        #466
Pedro505 1 heat pts
space
space
$503 | Props total: 2 2
the raptors aint makin out of tha first round ha
 11 years ago '05        #467
BlastttOFF 
space
space
$2,768 | Props total: 18 18
What time is it??????/

PLAYOFF TIME. VC is fu*kED.

who else here is pumped????!
 11 years ago '04        #468
sal 
space
space
$109 | Props total: 0 0
Raptors Vs Nets I can't fu*kin wait...VC you better bring your A game to Toronto cause we are gonna be on you....Raptors in 6
 11 years ago '06        #469
SHootar 48 heat pts48
space
space
$22,362 | Props total: 1784 1784
Sat, April 21, 12:30 PM Tip...ESPN...not sure of the cdn broadcast

WOW...i really cannot wait for this...our first american broadcast too...and u KNOW the ACC gonna be bananas.

fu*k had i known it was to be nets first round and not wizards...i DEF woulda got playoff ticks for this round...whaturr
 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM         #470
Polo_Smurf 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pretty confident about first round, but we sucked last 3 games and nets are on fire lately. Little worried though...
 11 years ago '05        #471
jayosmooth 
space
space
$394 | Props total: 0 0
I AIN'T NEVA SCURRED!!!!

raps in 6
 04-19-2007, 07:20 PM         #472
Polo_Smurf 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jayosmooth said:
I AIN'T NEVA SCURRED!!!!

raps in 6
LOL this dude keeps my confidence up haha. Still.....VC is playoff X-factor :S
 11 years ago '06        #473
SHootar 48 heat pts48
space
space
$22,362 | Props total: 1784 1784
its funny it seems none of the american analysts are picking the raptors to win this series

we still dont get ANY respect but its whatev....even better
 04-20-2007, 02:33 AM         #474
stiffleg 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
all i gotta say is... jose calderon - the generic version of steve nash! hahahah...i mean that as a compliment. love his game!
 11 years ago '98        #475
ronnie|A 10 heat pts10
space
space
$30,192 | Props total: 3594 3594
 SHootar said:
its funny it seems none of the american analysts are picking the raptors to win this series

we still dont get ANY respect but its whatev....even better

[pic - click to view]

Lets show Hollinger is the man (even tho his rating system sucks a.ss)
 11 years ago '05        #476
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 6977 6977
Ya Raptor fans gonna like me till the last game =] I hope my Celtics get the same treatment next year =]]]]

[pic - click to view]

04-21-2007, 10:43 AM         #477
Polo_Smurf 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Washington will beat Cavs? You one crazy dude.
 11 years ago '04        #478
nicbroto 
space
space
$1,357 | Props total: 0 0
damn... i cant believe we lost at home. moreover i cant believe i woke up at 3:00am down here in australia to watch us drop that game. i hope we can recover. preplayoffs i had raps to take it to the east conf finals. we will see how it goes next game.
 11 years ago '05        #479
slanger55 2 heat pts OP
space
space
$4,611 | Props total: 864 864
we played terrible yesterday. the ACC was rocking in the 4th. we need to start to gel again and bosh needs more touches our offence runs through him. we should easily beat jersey! hopefully this loss will wake our a.sses up.
 11 years ago '06        #480
sportyankz 
space
space
$1,455 | Props total: 0 0
we made soo many stupid turnovers....bargnani was plain sh*t! he needs to step up his game
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
66 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
74 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
105 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
183 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
49 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
62 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
20 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
74 comments
21 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy