Philadelphia Eagles Discussion!!!!

most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
169 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
23 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
188 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 09-05-2007, 12:04 AM         #221
dvd07 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
POINTS OF CONTENTION

Ultimately, it begs one question: How much of the controversy is truly McNabb's fault? He couldn't control it when he was booed on draft day by Eagles fans and then-Philadelphia mayor Ed Rendell, who in what can now be considered a cringe of hindsight, favored Ricky Williams as the No. 2 overall pick.

And McNabb couldn't be held responsible for the flap in 2003, when Rush Limbaugh said from the set of ESPN's "NFL Sunday Countdown" that McNabb's prestige had been drummed up by media that had "… been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve."

[pic - click to view]

The harmony did not last between Owens and McNabb. (AP)

It was a comment that caused a national uproar and ultimately ended Limbaugh's career at ESPN. And for most players, such a moment would represent the high-water mark in career controversy. But for McNabb, it was destined to be a footnote. Next would come Terrell Owens, and a meltdown that would spew megatons of radioactive innuendo into the atmosphere in Philadelphia.

By the time Owens had come and gone, a number of issues regarding McNabb would be publicly debated. Did he go soft in the final quarter of the Super Bowl against New England? Was he a "company man" who went silent as the Eagles nickel and dimed other players? Had McNabb, who signed a 12-year contract extension in 2002 potentially worth $115 million, insulated himself from the media to protect his own image?

At least some of those issues stem from being the leader of a team with a hard-edged roster ideology. Historically, the Eagles have been very prudent about the players that eat their salary cap dollars. For various reasons – mostly a mix between age and finances – players such as Owens, Jeremiah Trotter, Hugh Douglas, Duce Staley and Vincent have failed to land the mega contract from the Eagles. And that has typically put McNabb into the line of fire from teammates who expected him to go to bat for them with management.

But Vincent pointed out that there are other franchises, such as the New England Patriots, that have the same ideologies and yet McNabb rarely gets the same consideration as Tom Brady. That's a distinction Vincent draws between McNabb and several other quarterbacks in the league. Brady gets a free pass from responsibility when the Patriots go into cost-cutting mode, Brett Favre gets the benefit of the doubt when he makes demands to Green Bay Packers management, and meanwhile, McNabb stays silent and gets dragged into someone else's debate.

"Can someone please talk about that double standard because it does exist?" Vincent asked. "Brett Favre speaks out. Does he get criticized? Does he get criticized when he says he wants this or that or isn't going to do this or that? Does he ever get criticized? Absolutely not.

"I've got two quarterbacks – No. 4 (Favre) and No. 5 (McNabb). I've got one guy who is 37 and another guy who is 30 and coming off an injury. And you're telling me that Donovan can't play anymore? That he can't operate an offense anymore? Are you kidding me?"

Added Kearse: "Donovan gets into a lot of no-win situations. If he says something, he's getting into someone else's business. If he doesn't say something, he's not sticking up for someone. When he wins, they celebrate him, but if he doesn't win it all, they tear him down. He's damned if he do, and he's damned if he don't."

Perhaps no situation underscored those points like the events of late last season when McNabb was drawn into another controversy when his mother Wilma posted a comment on her blog that fans might "crucify" her son if the Eagles were to win a Super Bowl with Jeff Garcia at the helm. A few months later, the Eagles drafted Kolb to groom as McNabb's successor, and suddenly speculation turned to whether his days with the franchise were numbered.

"In Philadelphia, the head coach and the quarterback are under the microscope, and that's understandable," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "Donovan understands that. He deals with that better than anybody in the National Football League. What happens in this city is the sounding board ends up being the bad ear.

"If you took a poll in the city of Philadelphia, 99 percent of the people, if you asked them who they want as their quarterback, they are going to tell you Donovan McNabb. They love the guy. It's maybe one percent that doesn't support him. And that's the one percent that gets out there."

"NOT EVERYBODY IS GOING TO LOVE YOU"

Of course, Reid has no factual basis to support his "one-percent" theory. But if that is the only place the doubt is coming from, it certainly has a remarkable way of manifesting itself in the national media.

[pic - click to view]

Reid, center, and McNabb are going into their ninth year together. (AP)

If the topic of conversation isn't his record, then it's his health. If it's not his health, it's something he said. If it's not something he said, it's something he didn't say. And if it's none of those things, then it's someone else's opinion that he has to address.

"Early on, I wouldn't say things like that were a shock, but it was something you had to get used to," McNabb said. "Somehow I always seem to be the story. During the year, I'm the story. When the season's over, I'm the story. When nothing is going on, I'm the story. I don't know why. … I never know. And you'll never have the answer. But if it wasn't me, it was Allen Iverson. If it wasn't Iverson, it was Scott Rolen or Jimmy Rollins or Philly's pitching or the Flyers not winning games.

"It's a love-hate relationship in Philadelphia, and that's not a bad thing. You have your 85 percent who love you. You have your 10 percent of the people who say 'He's great, but …' Then you have your five percent who say 'I can't stand him.' It just goes like that. But that's what drives you. Not everybody is going to love you."

Not everybody is going to understand you, either, which is why McNabb has tried to be more proactive about getting his voice to the public – even if it means going it alone. And McNabb has done just that, hiring former Eagles public relations staffer Rich Burg to be his publicist. A relationship which got off to a bang in May when McNabb essentially called his own press conference after the team drafted Kolb. And McNabb raised a few more eyebrows last month, when he spoke candidly about his shock over the team's release of linebacker Jeremiah Trotter. With Kolb in the fold and his prime years dwindling, perhaps McNabb feels it's time for him to be heard more clearly than ever.

"You know why he's that vocal now? Because he's on the outside looking in," Vincent said. "Before, you heard those things about how Donovan was close to management and people were calling him a company man. Well now that things are shifting and all of the sudden you're the guy they are attacking, you sing a different tune. It shows he's more mature now. It shows he understands his own voice. He's always had a strong voice."

Remarkably, despite so many years as one of the league's biggest lighting rods, it was common to hear McNabb's voice last. And undoubtedly it won't be his last controversy. As McNabb said himself, this is the story of his life.

Maybe now he figures it's time he's the one telling it.

09-05-2007, 11:28 AM         #222
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this is gona be a good game
 10 years ago '07        #223
dipset121 39 heat pts39
space
space
$2,260 | Props total: 15 15
Eagles better win sunday
 09-08-2007, 09:47 AM         #224
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 FACEMOB1 said:
CANT fu*kIN WAIT ONE MORE DAY!!!
me neither son.............this is gona a be a ill a.ss game

GGGRRREEEEEEEENNNNNNNNBBBAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYY
 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM         #225
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k YALL DOVE BIRD a.ss n*ggaS

WHERE YALL AT ...LET ME SEE YALL ROC THA PACKERS AVATAR

fu*kin turkeys
 09-09-2007, 06:30 PM         #226
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i bet yall duck birds dont coem on the site till next sunday so yall dont gota wear the avatar LOL
 10 years ago '04        #227
quamir14 11 heat pts11 OP
space
space
space
$1,238 | Props total: 0 0
 QueenzBaller26 said:
i bet yall duck birds dont coem on the site till next sunday so yall dont gota wear the avatar LOL
fu*k GB, we gave them that win...
 09-10-2007, 06:43 AM         #228
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
to bad we dont play yall again down the line

oooo well i can talk my sh*t cuz ...a W.....is a W
 09-10-2007, 07:33 AM         #229
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 FACEMOB1 said:
^yeah it is too bad, maybe yall can watch us in the playoffs, somewhere yall havent been since 4th and 26, hahahahahhahah
ooooooo jokes n jokes n jokes

yall so garbage that they took mcnab off the "this is a nfl film production"
 10 years ago '06        #230
kevkhalee 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,319 | Props total: 120 120
i'm ready to give up on the eagles.
how the fu*k do you pick a QB with your first pick, when you got McNabb?

Give him fast WRs and he'll look good!
 10 years ago '06        #231
m!ck3y 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,245 | Props total: 628 628
 10 years ago '04        #232
Grisly 29 heat pts29
space
space
$6,990 | Props total: 1340 1340
somebody say a prayer...
 09-18-2007, 05:02 PM         #233
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Grisly said:
somebody say a prayer...
 10 years ago '04        #234
DCbullets202 
space
space
$1,361 | Props total: 0 0
 10 years ago '04        #235
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts
space
space
$25,670 | Props total: 177 177
Being 0-2 is McNabb's biggest problem
By Clifton Brown - SportingNews

Clifton Brown
SportingNews.com

How Donovan McNabb is playing should worry the Philadelphia Eagles more than what he is saying.

McNabb drew attention with remarks made during an interview on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" which aired Tuesday. McNabb said black quarterbacks "have to do a little bit extra" because there are relatively few of them, adding "people didn't want us to play this position."

I commend McNabb for expressing his opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with him, high-profile people, including athletes, are often too reluctant to discuss their true feelings about race. Honest and open dialogue is a necessary tool to help people understand why blacks and whites often view the same issue very differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
There are still only six starting black quarterbacks in the National Football League, and for decades, talented black college quarterbacks were discouraged from playing the position once they reached the NFL. People blasting McNabb for his comments should ask themselves this question: Is it so strange for a black quarterback to believe he is viewed differently, considering the legacy of black quarterbacks in the NFL?

The most pressing issue for McNabb, however, is not the state of black quarterbacks. It's the state of his game. The Eagles are 0-2, and McNabb, less than 10 months removed from major knee surgery, has played woefully. Many of his throws have been off target, and twice during Monday night's 20-12 loss to the Washington Redskins, the Eagles settled for field goals after McNabb missed an open receiver near the end zone.

McNabb is clearly not 100 percent, and he may never be the running threat he once was. For the Eagles, that's a huge problem. McNabb's ability to run for first downs was a major part of his game.

Linebackers and safeties used to fear McNabb when he escaped from the pocket, which created throwing lanes for McNabb in the secondary, or running lanes for him to scamper through. But when McNabb scrambled Monday, the Redskins' linebackers and safeties stayed home. They didn't care if McNabb ran, because they knew he didn't want to run, and they knew he couldn't run like he once did.

It also didn't help that the Eagles' very average receivers looked incapable of getting open consistently. That's a consistent theme in Philadelphia. In his ninth season, McNabb has only had one star receiver to work with during his career, Terrell Owens. McNabb may not miss Owens in the locker room, but he clearly could use him on the field.

Expect McNabb's throwing to become a little more accurate as his knee gets stronger. But the Eagles need McNabb to step up immediately. A loss Sunday to the undefeated (2-0) Detroit Lions (I can't believe I just typed undefeated Detroit Lions) would drop the Eagles to 0-3. Even in this age of parity, 0-3 teams rarely make the playoffs, and McNabb's future with the Eagles beyond this season would become more precarious.

When the Eagles drafted quarterback Kevin Kolb with their first pick in April, it put McNabb on notice. The team had begun to plan for life without him. Kolb may not be ready to win this year, but if McNabb and the Eagles falter this season, it could easily be his last in Philly.

McNabb undoubtedly senses his vulnerability, which is likely contributing to his newfound candor. For years, McNabb avoided controversial statements the way he avoided onrushing passers. But as many people have discovered, both black and white, it doesn't pay to be a company man when the company decides it no longer needs you.

Now that McNabb has spoken out, the Eagles can only hope that he will step up. For once, McNabb has stirred people with his words. Now he needs to stir his team with his play.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT
 10 years ago '04        #236
quamir14 11 heat pts11 OP
space
space
space
$1,238 | Props total: 0 0
 FACEMOB1 said:
Man What the fu*k, two losses and yall ready to call this a season.....man i unno but yall but i live and die by this sh*t....i KNOW my birds gonna get they sh*t together, where the fu*k yall at

Seems like McNabb did this interview since the Eagles drafted Kolb, but he should have known this would create controversy for himself if he dont play well...

McNabb's knee is not 100% but he is not the 100% of the blame... I think Andy Reid is 75% blame... Like when I started this thread 9 months ago, Reid needs to go. His philosophy is not working anymore, the whole league knows it, the whole league also knows all of Jim Johnson's blitz. We need something new, not the same plays and blitz every week that dont work...

Our blitz use to get thru all the time, now it never works....

Reid needs to sit home with his criminal thug sons and try coaching again later...

Jim Johnson needs to retire....

I am a die hard fan, I live in Philly, watch the game every week and I travel to 1 road game a year, but I'm being honest...

I hope they dont think McNabb is the problem. Its the coaching staff. Also all Philly sports never give help to their All-Star's....
 10 years ago '04        #237
notoriousthugzz 41 heat pts41
space
space
$18,852 | Props total: 2008 2008
we finally got one boys :applause::applause:

what a sweet victory too

and to top it off the deadskins blow the game to the gmen
my boy was so pissed hes a huge skins fan was talkin all this sh*t the first 2 weeks

now if only the cowgirls can lose tonight then we are only 1 gb

09-23-2007, 06:50 PM         #238
Andre3000 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol at this I love yall Eagles fans.
 09-23-2007, 06:53 PM         #239
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cant beleive i sat westbrook....god man

and they said "HE HURT"...n*gga AINT LOOK HURT
 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM         #240
Twelveinchez 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^i had westbrook, mcnabb, & ronnie brown..... field day
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
51 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
204 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
79 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy