Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
109 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
59 comments
@games
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
57 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
13 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 02-22-2007, 02:48 AM         #161
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
NO is popular for the pump... Period... Nobody cares about improved nutrient delivery... Dudes just think they look mad brolic as they pound out Squat-Rack Curls with biceps all a-poppin... Sadly, it's completely cosmetic and means nothing in terms of hypertrophy...

Blahhh...
 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM         #162
compton4ever 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cool thread@thread starter

i weigh about 180-190 pounds and i am 6'1 and i have like a layer of fat all along my front section. My legs are kinda chubby around the calfs and i cant see the cuts in my ankle. It goes straight 2 feet. i want

a nice cheast that seems flat through a tee-shirt not liek i have a 7 grade t*ttie gurl problem.

i want to no what type of workouts i can do to help with my arms,cheast,abs,legs,. thnks

Last edited by compton4ever; 02-22-2007 at 06:48 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #163
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,833 | Props total: 1175 1175
 Daddy's Home... said:
ahahah what, I'm the Full-Body zealot now...? sh*t, I'm starting a cycle of classic GVT next week... It has 'Chest/Back' day... Sounds like a split to me...

Of course, after that, it's back to classic 5x5 strength work... Then a Gironda style hypertrophy cycle (SPLIT!), then athletic specific (vertical/sprint) work...

Gotta be well-rounded homie...

As for negatives, here's my take on it...

If you want strength, the whole purpose of negatives is to allow you to work with a supramaximal weight, but unlike partials, you get to experience it through a full ROM... Also, pick a lift you need to improve on... I wouldn't overload like that on all the big three in any given week...

So you pick a lift and perform negatives on one day... 4-5 singles at 110-115%... Then on a different day, you perform isometric work or partial ROM work on your weak point (for me, off the chest on Bench and in the hole on Squats)... Then you add a low volume day of straight sets... No more than 4 weeks, then deload, after which you should be peaking...

Now, I only did this type of cycle once, and it put 20lbs on my bench then... I'm way back to basics now and tend to think there are less complicated ways of progressing, specifically through proper periodization... Nonetheless, I learned a lot from it...

For hypertrophy, it's much simpler... Obviously, it's specialization work and not something you do for your whole body... It's just planned overreaching really... Pick a bodypart, double the volume, typically adding a workout or two for that bodypart, and make use of different negative work for set prolongation through a number of exercises...

One of my favoured methods is 'cheating' the weight up and performing a very prolonged (10 secs) negative, then repeat for 3-5 reps... For instance, Clean concentric / Reverse Curl eccentric, or Close-Grip Bench concentric / Skullcrusher eccentric... This lets you to use a heavy weight for 2-3 times as much TUT per set as straight sets would allow (think 80-85% for 50 secs rather than 15-25)...

Or, you could do 2-to-1s... Two-limb concentric, One-limb eccentric... Obviously most applicable to isolation work on extremities...

Again, and as is typical of most overreaching programs, 4 weeks on will be plenty, then deload and experience supercompensation...
Thnx a lot man...good read..
 11 years ago '05        #164
druggie 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,429 | Props total: 4209 4209
K

I'm 16 160 and 5'9. I feel pretty weak for my size and seem to get overpowered when I'm playin football or other sports more than I should be. I wanted to know How I could pack on some more muscle mass but also develop speed (I know its asking alot and cant really do both at the same time.) What kind of diet should I have? what kind of workouts without weights can I do (access is limited to pretty bad machines and I cant find anywhere to do squats not even school)
 11 years ago '06        #165
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Hey man

As I've said earlier, don't give workout advice for free sorry..

Having peoples that pay me for online consultations so wouldn't be fair to them
 11 years ago '05        #166
druggie 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,429 | Props total: 4209 4209
 kosterzoo said:
Hey man

As I've said earlier, don't give workout advice for free sorry..

Having peoples that pay me for online consultations so wouldn't be fair to them
oops sorry bout that
 02-25-2007, 10:09 PM         #167
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 druggie said:
K

I'm 16 160 and 5'9. I feel pretty weak for my size and seem to get overpowered when I'm playin football or other sports more than I should be. I wanted to know How I could pack on some more muscle mass but also develop speed (I know its asking alot and cant really do both at the same time.) What kind of diet should I have? what kind of workouts without weights can I do (access is limited to pretty bad machines and I cant find anywhere to do squats not even school)
Do you have a barbell you can use? Research Olympic lifts.
 02-27-2007, 09:35 PM         #168
IceCreamMan17 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
are plyometrics bad on your knees? i heard that before on here and also anyone here have any experience doing plyo's that can suggest certain exercises to do and stay away from...
 11 years ago '06        #169
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
anything done in the lower limbs in correctly CAN be bad on the knees

what i don't like about plyometrics is taht people that aren't qualified to do them Do them!...

Need to do weights for at least 6-8months before even considering them..

general guidelines also include bodyweight squats and bench with varying rep ranges depending on whos literature you read (Boyle et al)
 03-01-2007, 02:28 AM         #170
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I want a new hamstring exercise. I've heard good things about Pull Throughs but haven't tried them out/ don't understand exactly how to do them. Can you explain them to me? I know you use a seated cable row machine with a D-handle. Explain away....
 11 years ago '06        #171
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Aite man.

Basically think of the movement as a Romanian dead lift but as you've said the cable comes from between the legs. Head up/chest up and toes at 30degrees

You don't have to use the seated row machine if you have adjustable cable cross over.

Other hamstring exercises you might wanna try is a Polish Good Morning OR a Load Shift D/B Romanian Dead lift
 03-01-2007, 02:20 PM         #172
DaInfamous 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i need help on streching my hip flexors. Some stretches

I need help with deadlifts. I can never get low enough and have my back straight with my arms extended and all that. Do I need to strech something out more. I donít really do a lot of stretching, and I need to deadlift for football.
 03-02-2007, 01:10 AM         #173
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Aite man.

Basically think of the movement as a Romanian dead lift but as you've said the cable comes from between the legs. Head up/chest up and toes at 30degrees

You don't have to use the seated row machine if you have adjustable cable cross over.

Other hamstring exercises you might wanna try is a Polish Good Morning OR a Load Shift D/B Romanian Dead lift
Alright, cool. I can't seem to find how to do Polish GM's or the load shift d/b RDL, care to explain those for me?
 11 years ago '06        #174
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Loadshift RDL's are the same as normal deadlifts but instead of going straight down you head towards one leg, so instead of the DB's staying in line with both legs they'll end up on either side of one leg

Polish GM's are a little more complex... I'll try find a picture at some stage
 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM         #175
DaInfamous 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
do you have a answer for my question?

Last edited by DaInfamous; 03-06-2007 at 05:57 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #176
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 DaInfamous said:
i need help on streching my hip flexors. Some stretches

I need help with deadlifts. I can never get low enough and have my back straight with my arms extended and all that. Do I need to strech something out more. I donít really do a lot of stretching, and I need to deadlift for football.

sorry man missed it first time around.

Why do you need to stretch the hip flexors?? have you been told to? Anyways this page here has you covered

2ndly with the deadlift i'd say its got a lot to do with your positioning or perhaps extremely tight gluet/hamstrings (not likely though)...

What i'd recommend is that you get someone that is good at teaching the lift (not doing but TEACHING) to have a look at your set up.. its hard to say without actually seeing what your doing for the deadlift...
 11 years ago '04        #177
$tr3tch 
space
space
$4,260 | Props total: 0 0
ive just taken a page out of poliquins book n started up on some german volume training. Ive starting with phase one but on day 2 of the program, im already having a couple things i need cleared up. I used to do gvt a year or two ago but my terrible memory didnt allow me to remember some of the basics of the program. Since then ive taken a long break from the gym and lost a ton of muscle so i feel its time to get back into shape. Anyways here are my questions:
1. Failure sets. Im finding myself beginning to fail in the 5th and 6th sets, in rare cases even the 4th! Should i lower the weight or do failure sets? If failure sets, should i wait a certain amount of time after i fail to begin them or start right away? If i should wait, should it be 60 or 90 seconds (i noticed these were the only 2 rest period poliquin uses in phase 1).
2. I havent really felt that terrible soreness the next morning after day 1...there was certainly pain but it wasnt to the point that i couldnt life my arms up or anything near that. That kinda worried me, does it mean that I didn't go as hard as i should have?
3. I find myself taking a LONG time to finish up all 10 sets of all 4 exercises. On day 1, chest/shoulder, I found myself taking 2 hours and 45 minutes just to finish my 8th set! I didnt have a stopwatch so i used my mp3 players music timer to tell me when it was time to start the next set. Im SURE i wasted quite a bit of time inbetween sets but certainly not double. With the tempo set at 4 0 2 0 or 3 0 2 0, is there a ball park number u could give me for how long it should take me to finish my 10 sets?
 03-07-2007, 01:20 AM         #178
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 $tr3tch said:
1. Failure sets. Im finding myself beginning to fail in the 5th and 6th sets, in rare cases even the 4th! Should i lower the weight or do failure sets? If failure sets, should i wait a certain amount of time after i fail to begin them or start right away? If i should wait, should it be 60 or 90 seconds (i noticed these were the only 2 rest period poliquin uses in phase 1).
When you start failing, do as many reps as you can, then terminate the set... If you only get 8 reps, that's okay... Do not lower the weight... When you can actually get 10 reps out of all 10 sets, it's time to raise the weight...

Rest periods remain constant throughout... 90 seconds for main sets, 60 for auxiliary...

$tr3tch said:
2. I havent really felt that terrible soreness the next morning after day 1...there was certainly pain but it wasnt to the point that i couldnt life my arms up or anything near that. That kinda worried me, does it mean that I didn't go as hard as i should have?
DOMS doesn't necessarily relate to muscle growth, so don't worry about it... The volume of this program is so high that you should be growing regardless... It does call for an all-out effort tho, so don't keep extra reps in the tank...

$tr3tch said:
3. I find myself taking a LONG time to finish up all 10 sets of all 4 exercises. On day 1, chest/shoulder, I found myself taking 2 hours and 45 minutes just to finish my 8th set! I didnt have a stopwatch so i used my mp3 players music timer to tell me when it was time to start the next set. Im SURE i wasted quite a bit of time inbetween sets but certainly not double. With the tempo set at 4 0 2 0 or 3 0 2 0, is there a ball park number u could give me for how long it should take me to finish my 10 sets?
Of course, you don't do 10x10 of 4 exercises on any given day of this prgram... I don't see how you're doing Chest/Shoulders either, particularly with exercise pairings...

But yea, the original program calls for 10x10 of 2 exercises and 3x10-12 of two auxiliary exercises... With 4010 tempo and 90 second breaks for the main exercises and 3010 and 60 second breaks for the auxiliary ones, a workout should run you about an hour...

You should post your set-up btw, cus a chest/shoulder day seems incongruent with the principles of the program...
 11 years ago '07        #179
clipse_designz 
space
space
$2,747 | Props total: 66 66
owkay am only young and small but will...

doing pull-ups daily and drinkin lots of milk plus protein will get me bigger and stronger?
 11 years ago '04        #180
$tr3tch 
space
space
$4,260 | Props total: 0 0
 Daddy's Home... said:
Of course, you don't do 10x10 of 4 exercises on any given day of this prgram... I don't see how you're doing Chest/Shoulders either, particularly with exercise pairings...

But yea, the original program calls for 10x10 of 2 exercises and 3x10-12 of two auxiliary exercises... With 4010 tempo and 90 second breaks for the main exercises and 3010 and 60 second breaks for the auxiliary ones, a workout should run you about an hour...

You should post your set-up btw, cus a chest/shoulder day seems incongruent with the principles of the program...
my bad its chest/back and arm/shoulder (on separate days), i was rushing the post. Thanks alot for clearin up the auxiliary exercises, i have no idea why but while in the gym i had it stuck in my head that it was 10x10 of 4 separate exercises but reading over the program now i realize that it is just as u said, 2 10x10's and 2 3x10-12's. Anyway ill leave my stuff for phase one just in case ur interested but it is copied straight off a website...i think it was bodybuilding.com as i couldnt find the place i got my last gvt program from.

Beginner / Intermediate Program: Phase 1

This is a sample routine based on a five-day cycle. Once you've used this method for six workouts per body part, it's time to move on to a more intensive program for a three-week period.

Day 1 - Chest and Back

Exercise Sets Reps Tempo Rest Interval
A-1 Decline Dumbbell Presses, Semi-Supinated Grip(palms facing each other) 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Chin-Ups (palms facing you) 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Incline Dumbbell Flyes 3 10-12 3 0 2 0 60 sec
B-2 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 10-12 3 0 2 0 60 sec

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. Incidentally, I only recommend three sets of ten in this program for the "B" exercises. The "B" exercises constitute supplementary work, and doing ten sets of them would result in overtraining.

Day 2 - Legs and Abs

A-1 Back Squats 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Lying Leg Curls 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Low-Cable Pull-Ins* 3 15 - 20 2 0 2 0 60 sec
B-2 Seated Calf Raises 3 15 - 20 2 0 2 0 60 sec

(*Take a weightlifting belt and buckle it. Attach it to the low pulley of a cable crossover machine. Lie down on your back in front of the machine, and hook your feet in the belt. Then pull your knees towards your chest.)

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 3 - Off

Day 4 - Arms and Shoulders

A-1 Parallel Bar Dips 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Incline Hammer Curls 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises* 3 10 - 12 2 0 X 0 60 sec
B-2 Seated DumbbellLateral Raises 3 10 - 12 2 0 X 0 60 sec

(*While seated on the edge of a bench with your torso bent over, raise the dumbbells out to the side, making sure the top two knuckles (the ones closest to your thumb) are in line with your ears at the top of the movement.)

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. "X" in the tempo means to move as fast as possible, keeping the weight under control.

Day 5 - Off
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
38 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
14 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
99 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
116 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
66 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
161 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteveís thread
227 comments
21 hours ago