Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
 129
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
209 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 71
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
136 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 60
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
52 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 56
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
50 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #141
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
^^
Really depends on what your doing, and how often your doing it.

BUT safe answer is 0.8-1.6g's of protein per kg of bodyweight
 11 years ago '07        #142
clipse_designz 
space
avatar space
space
$2,747 | Props total: 66 66
^^^ thanks alot man
 02-15-2007, 02:56 AM         #143
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What's up Kosterzoo. I'm bored so I'll ask you some q's. What are your top 5 supps that you use? What is your fav supp company? What are your thoughts on the knee going past the ankle joint while lunging? What is your favourite lift and why?
 11 years ago '06        #144
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 seindiamond said:
What's up Kosterzoo. I'm bored so I'll ask you some q's. What are your top 5 supps that you use? What is your fav supp company? What are your thoughts on the knee going past the ankle joint while lunging? What is your favourite lift and why?
Top 5 Supplements in no order:

1) BCAA - Pre, Post and During Training if i don't have my normal sports drink
2) Fish Oil - 6g's a day I take
3) L-Carnitine - Prior to training, great energy boost, have between 750mg-2g
4) A GOOD Multivitamin (think this is often underlooked) - One A Day
5) A Quality Protein Shake with BCAA Already in it.

I don't have a preference to supplement company, in NZ we don't get all the brands but basically I use trail and error alot.. For the L-Carnitine I just get it wholesale. I'm also a fan of the idea of switching your powders etc.. around, I'm not so anal to do it every 2 days just every time they run out I get a different brand.

Lunging over the knee I like in healthy knees, "Split Squatting" over the knee I like in All Knees. But its lunging depth that I'm more a fan of.. Hate seeing half a.ss lunging.

My favourite lift its a tough one...

In terms of prescription, I really like giving out the front squat OR the box squat OR the Front Box Squat. Because it pretty much gets rid of all the things I hate about people squatting wrong (going no way near 90 OR loading up too heavy and claiming BS numbers).

Another thing I like to give out, and IMO is one of the best ways for both definition and size of the arms (obviously with all other bases covered), is a Modified drop set for the arms using Plate front raises and side raises. It looks something like this

A1 Plate Front Raise 10reps
A2 D/B Side Raises (Thumbs UP) 10reps
A3 Plate Front Raise (same weight as first 10) 10reps
A4 Plate Front Raise (lower weight) 10reps
A5 D/B Side Raises (Thumbs UP) 10reps same weight as first
A6 D/B Side Raises (Thumbs UP) 10reps with a lower weight

rest 90seconds and repeat for a total of 2-3sets.

In terms of performing myself theres so many lifts I really like but I think at the moment I'm liking the Sumo Deadlift because I'd never done alot of it before so its a nice change.

Other things I like are front squats going Butt to floor Or Overhead Squats. I love the olympic lifts and find I now perfer doing them from a hanging position because I get a better snap out of it being tall.

Even though they've been used and abused abit I still like to do some swiss ball work such as the omni pullovers I've mentioned before or a rolling press which is a great finished for the chest. I never do crunches on the S/B (mind you i basically never do crunches anyways) but use them for some bracing exercises
 02-16-2007, 01:48 AM         #145
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^ Nice. That shoulder workout looks savage. I too love olympic lifts, I cycled them in my routine for a month a couple weeks ago. I was doing full snatches and full C&J. The C&J was much easier. I didn't go all out on any sets cause obviously you can't learn how to do perfect form in a month. C&J my best was 2 reps with 175 which I was pretty happy about. The Snatch is sooooo hard to catch for me. I'd imagine that's the problem people mostly have with them. I'll probably put them back in again in a bit. I've been thinking of getting a coach for oly lifts, not sure yet.
 11 years ago '06        #146
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 seindiamond said:
^^ Nice. That shoulder workout looks savage. I too love olympic lifts, I cycled them in my routine for a month a couple weeks ago. I was doing full snatches and full C&J. The C&J was much easier. I didn't go all out on any sets cause obviously you can't learn how to do perfect form in a month. C&J my best was 2 reps with 175 which I was pretty happy about. The Snatch is sooooo hard to catch for me. I'd imagine that's the problem people mostly have with them. I'll probably put them back in again in a bit. I've been thinking of getting a coach for oly lifts, not sure yet.
Yeah man,

you should try doing a close grip snatch OR single arm D/B Snatch (even though it gets alot of 'bad press') Because they're easier to do than the full blown snatch, just some nice ones to chuck in there.

What you could do man if you wanting to get the olympic lifts but not spend too much focus on them is start cycling the focus weekly..

so say on legs day, week one, it would be light cleans to warm up and then work front squats for a single. The following week it would be massive focus on the cleans and say 5x5s of squats at 85% 1RM, then week three back to the front squats single.. repeat cycle for 5-6weeks and then probably go onto something else
 11 years ago '04        #147
goke11429 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,252 | Props total: 12 12
how do u do da Plate Push Away?
any recomended multi vitamins,protein shakes,suplements to use?
what's the website that shows different exercises arranged by body parts in .gif?
 11 years ago '06        #148
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 goke11429 said:
how do u do da Plate Push Away?
any recomended multi vitamins,protein shakes,suplements to use?
what's the website that shows different exercises arranged by body parts in .gif?
Ah....

Think about "Plate. Push Aways" again (being the best ab ''exercise)

Best supplements, as i said is to cycle them, I don't really play favourites as long as they meet my needs.

Not 100% of the site your after but i think its exrx.net
 11 years ago '06        #149
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,827 | Props total: 1169 1169
 Kosterzoo said:
Because it pretty much gets rid of all the things I hate about people squatting wrong (going no way near 90 OR loading up too heavy and claiming BS numbers).
Yea that does get me pissed...friends will be tellin me numbers their lifting n it kinda puts me down then i go to c them lift and their only doing partials (which to them is "the ROM recomended by gym trainers and becaus ei prefer to olympic squat im doin it wrong")...i feelin like taking a 45 lb plate and smackin them across the head with it

Ok anyway i was just wonderin is there any specifics in terms of doin negatives? I was reading this article based on negatives but mysteriously the focused more on explaining the rest of the routine and not the negatives...Currently i load with a little over 1 RM and do around 3 sets (with a 5 second negative for strength and 10 second negative for size depending on what i wanna do) with the compound lifts (Squat, DL, BB Press, etc ) and sometimes even isolations if a feel a certain muscle group is lacking. Is there any specific guidlines you prescribe for people doin negatives?


Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 02-18-2007 at 12:15 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #150
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Personally I don't do alot of "negatives" per say, lemme elaborate

I think negatives a good for size BUT not so great for strength and power.

So if i do prescribe negatives, depending on the range etc.. the longest i'd usually use is 4seconds and generally speaking follow it with an explosive movement,

with regards to what your working on i think the negatives are fine at around 5seconds.

What I also like to do is perscribe an isometric proportion of a lift.

So like Bench Press 3 Down: 2 Hold: X Up
 11 years ago '06        #151
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,827 | Props total: 1169 1169
 kosterzoo said:
Personally I don't do alot of "negatives" per say, lemme elaborate

I think negatives a good for size BUT not so great for strength and power.

So if i do prescribe negatives, depending on the range etc.. the longest i'd usually use is 4seconds and generally speaking follow it with an explosive movement,

with regards to what your working on i think the negatives are fine at around 5seconds.

What I also like to do is perscribe an isometric proportion of a lift.

So like Bench Press 3 Down: 2 Hold: X Up
ok so in other words use 1 RM or less on negatives? what would be more advisable for strength.....partials? static holds?
 02-19-2007, 02:40 AM         #152
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Yeah man,

you should try doing a close grip snatch OR single arm D/B Snatch (even though it gets alot of 'bad press') Because they're easier to do than the full blown snatch, just some nice ones to chuck in there.

What you could do man if you wanting to get the olympic lifts but not spend too much focus on them is start cycling the focus weekly..

so say on legs day, week one, it would be light cleans to warm up and then work front squats for a single. The following week it would be massive focus on the cleans and say 5x5s of squats at 85% 1RM, then week three back to the front squats single.. repeat cycle for 5-6weeks and then probably go onto something else
That's a good idea, I was doing something a little bit like that but not exactly. I'll definitely put that into my next cycle. Right now I'm doing a body part split **GASP**. I know you and Daddy's Home won't be happy about that. However, I felt like a change, so I'll stick to it for a month or so then probably go back to fullbody.
 02-19-2007, 04:58 AM         #153
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ahahah what, I'm the Full-Body zealot now...? sh*t, I'm starting a cycle of classic GVT next week... It has 'Chest/Back' day... Sounds like a split to me...

Of course, after that, it's back to classic 5x5 strength work... Then a Gironda style hypertrophy cycle (SPLIT!), then athletic specific (vertical/sprint) work...

Gotta be well-rounded homie...

As for negatives, here's my take on it...

If you want strength, the whole purpose of negatives is to allow you to work with a supramaximal weight, but unlike partials, you get to experience it through a full ROM... Also, pick a lift you need to improve on... I wouldn't overload like that on all the big three in any given week...

So you pick a lift and perform negatives on one day... 4-5 singles at 110-115%... Then on a different day, you perform isometric work or partial ROM work on your weak point (for me, off the chest on Bench and in the hole on Squats)... Then you add a low volume day of straight sets... No more than 4 weeks, then deload, after which you should be peaking...

Now, I only did this type of cycle once, and it put 20lbs on my bench then... I'm way back to basics now and tend to think there are less complicated ways of progressing, specifically through proper periodization... Nonetheless, I learned a lot from it...

For hypertrophy, it's much simpler... Obviously, it's specialization work and not something you do for your whole body... It's just planned overreaching really... Pick a bodypart, double the volume, typically adding a workout or two for that bodypart, and make use of different negative work for set prolongation through a number of exercises...

One of my favoured methods is 'cheating' the weight up and performing a very prolonged (10 secs) negative, then repeat for 3-5 reps... For instance, Clean concentric / Reverse Curl eccentric, or Close-Grip Bench concentric / Skullcrusher eccentric... This lets you to use a heavy weight for 2-3 times as much TUT per set as straight sets would allow (think 80-85% for 50 secs rather than 15-25)...

Or, you could do 2-to-1s... Two-limb concentric, One-limb eccentric... Obviously most applicable to isolation work on extremities...

Again, and as is typical of most overreaching programs, 4 weeks on will be plenty, then deload and experience supercompensation...
 11 years ago '06        #154
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 seindiamond said:
That's a good idea, I was doing something a little bit like that but not exactly. I'll definitely put that into my next cycle. Right now I'm doing a body part split **GASP**. I know you and Daddy's Home won't be happy about that. However, I felt like a change, so I'll stick to it for a month or so then probably go back to fullbody.

Hey man I'm a BODY SPLIT advocate!

I love body split training and have always done it!

Do lodge me in with these total body types

Nah but to be honest I think there's room for both types of programs and that they fall on a continuum.


Daddy's Home.. I See you've been reading up on your Boutagy stuff?
 02-19-2007, 06:00 PM         #155
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yea, I did about 6 months back... I found that Thibaudeau and him share opinions on a great deal in terms of hypertrophy training and methodology, so I took a closer look at his stuff...
 02-19-2007, 07:16 PM         #156
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Who is this Boutagy guy? Never heard of him. Yea I really like fullbody. I just feel like a split is right for me now. I'm doing a 4 day split, with chest specialization. Upper chest needs some work.
 02-21-2007, 01:44 PM         #157
IceCreamMan17 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
anyone know what no xplode actually does for you except give you a lil bit of an energy boost?
 11 years ago '04        #158
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
$1,136 | Props total: 2 2
 IceCreamMan17 said:
anyone know what no xplode actually does for you except give you a lil bit of an energy boost?
it removes money from your pocket.

oh and it *might* increase blood flow for a short period of time...which *may* have the one possible benefit of enhancing nutrient delivery.
 02-22-2007, 01:30 AM         #159
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WHAT_THE_ said:
it removes money from your pocket.

oh and it *might* increase blood flow for a short period of time...which *may* have the one possible benefit of enhancing nutrient delivery.
Agreed. I wouldn't take it, although I've heard ppl love the stuff. I haven't taken it because I get good enough results off of a multi, fish oil, creatine and whey. It dilates your blood vessels theoretically allowing more oxygen and nutrients to get to your muscles.
 11 years ago '06        #160
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
^^
Yeah I'm a fan of the 'keep it simple' approach also

alotta gimmicky things on the market but i guess try it once if it works great.. if not... well you're outta pocket
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 48
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
16 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 36
Image(s) inside dannielledai
15 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 34
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 16
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
51 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 12
Article inside Rick Rossí Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
47 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 12
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 8
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
34 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 6
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy