Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
97 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
36 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
69 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
62 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #121
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
well since its your wrist its obviously not a strained bicep like the above guy said..

I'd suggest you have weak wrist flexors and, most likely, the weight you've been using is too heavy so you've been having to use the wrist flexors to help get the bar up..

do 2 things, 1 lower you weight (obviously), 2 is keep the wrists 'cocked' when you curl, should take the wrist flexor out of the movement, also incorporate some zottman curls and perhaps try using a thick d/b
 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM         #122
AndyK 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
well since its your wrist its obviously not a strained bicep like the above guy said..

I'd suggest you have weak wrist flexors and, most likely, the weight you've been using is too heavy so you've been having to use the wrist flexors to help get the bar up..

do 2 things, 1 lower you weight (obviously), 2 is keep the wrists 'cocked' when you curl, should take the wrist flexor out of the movement, also incorporate some zottman curls and perhaps try using a thick d/b
What do you mean by c*cked? As in bend my wrist upwards slightly? And also what is a zottman curl
 11 years ago '06        #123
O-King 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,458 | Props total: 77 77
*mods please move instead of closing if in wrong section but I think it is in the right place*

hey im a skinnyguy and I dont really have access to a gym. All I have is dumbbells.

Is there workouts I can do with just dumbbells to help me gain mass?? (15lbs but I weigh I think 135lb 6"1)

I know ima need to gain weight so would this work if I ate this everyday?

6:00 AM - Crossiant Calories:350 /Protein 13
10:30 AM - School Food (not sure)
4:00 PM - Swedish Meatballs microwave Calories: 430 / Protein: 20
8:30 PM - McDonalds: Premium Crispy Chicken Club Sandwich Calories: 660 / Protein: 39
Medium Fries: Calories: 380 / Protein: 4
2 Cups of Whole Milk Calories: 292 / Protein: 7

N Large 2 Weight Gainer Calories: 2400 / Protein: 208

Total
Calories = 4512
Protein = 83

I work at mcdonalds (cant steal/cameras) and goto school and im 17
So I have School 7-2, and work 4-8.

What do I need to improve in my diet? and what dumbbell exercises can I do??

Ive tried dieting twice with N Large 2 but fauiled so I wanted to give it a real shot this time.
 02-06-2007, 06:24 PM         #124
maxwell2003 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it sounds like you damaged muscle fiber from working out. Baasically, curl recovers very fast because you use every day and every time. I would recommend you to work out other muscle until the pain goes away and I recommend you to use EZ bar when you work out your arms.
 02-06-2007, 06:49 PM         #125
maxwell2003 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
O-king, looks like you are eating very well and you are young. So keep eating evrything you can. But not too much fat... Carbohydrate( rice, bread, pasta and so on) typically gives you motivation to work out ( energy ). Meat, egg white, protein drink will give you obviously protein to build up your mucles.

You can do so many thing with dumbels.
So each set, you should do 10 to 12 times and you should do 3 sets for each
muscles.
Arms: Dumbel curls,
Shoulders : shoulder press
Chest : dumbel press. Butterfly curls
etc....

Once you feel to easy to lift your dumbels, you might want to get heavier ones. So your body do not get used to the weight.
 11 years ago '06        #126
O-King 1 heat pts
space
space
space
thx max so my plan should be?

Monday - Arms (Curls)
Wedsnesday - Shoulders (Press)
Friday - Chest (Butterfly curl)
Somthing else

(im not sure what kind of lifts I should be doing, does it matter?)

i dont mean to be asking questions but i been trying to gain weight for a long time and I hate ordering n large 2 sounding confident to my mom and end up not gaining a pound. im readyy

about the carbo thing i think id be happy to gain "any" fat.
 02-06-2007, 11:50 PM         #127
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 maxwell2003 said:
O-king, looks like you are eating very well and you are young. So keep eating evrything you can. But not too much fat... Carbohydrate( rice, bread, pasta and so on) typically gives you motivation to work out ( energy ). Meat, egg white, protein drink will give you obviously protein to build up your mucles.

You can do so many thing with dumbels.
So each set, you should do 10 to 12 times and you should do 3 sets for each
muscles.
Arms: Dumbel curls,
Shoulders : shoulder press
Chest : dumbel press. Butterfly curls
etc....

Once you feel to easy to lift your dumbels, you might want to get heavier ones. So your body do not get used to the weight.
Holy sh*t, please do not follow this dieting advice or lifting advice. If you think this dude is eating well... That's just fu*ked up. O-King, almost everything you are eating is composed of emptry calories, except the milk. I'm not a fan of weight gainer proteins because the carbohydrates are usually made from cheap sugars. Everything you are eating is also heavily processed.

You say you are 135lb, you do NOT need to be eating that many calories to start off with. Try 3000 calories per day and if you are not gaining weight add 250 the next week. I weigh 220 and eat around 4000 calories a day and can gain weight off that. If you eat 4000 you will pack on muscle and a significant amount of fat.

This is a previous page on this thread where I posted about nutrition.

Scroll half way down. Above that is VERY GOOD lifting advice from Kosterzoo.

I suggest you start doing full body workouts and not a split. Workout 3X a week Mon/Wed/Fri. U are limited by only dumbbells but you can still do a decent workout. I'm tired so I won't comment on training till tomarrow, maybe Kosterzoo will.

Sorry Kosterzoo for giving out advice on your thread, but I couldn't let this kid get crappy advice about how eating Macdonalds 2X a day is "healthy" and a split with only arms/shoulder/chest is beneficial.
 02-06-2007, 11:50 PM         #128
XaVi01 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Can you lose strength without losing muscle mass?
 11 years ago '06        #129
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 maxwell2003 said:
it sounds like you damaged muscle fiber from working out. Baasically, curl recovers very fast because you use every day and every time. I would recommend you to work out other muscle until the pain goes away and I recommend you to use EZ bar when you work out your arms.

Ignore this advice... seriously please do.

Zottman curls are when you do a conventional curl up, then pronate your hands and do a reverse curl down.

Cocked Wrists I mean as in your trying to put the back of your hand on your wrist, kinda like you would if you were doing an open palm strike
 11 years ago '06        #130
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 seindiamond said:
Holy sh*t, please do not follow this dieting advice or lifting advice. If you think this dude is eating well... That's just fu*ked up. O-King, almost everything you are eating is composed of emptry calories, except the milk. I'm not a fan of weight gainer proteins because the carbohydrates are usually made from cheap sugars. Everything you are eating is also heavily processed.

You say you are 135lb, you do NOT need to be eating that many calories to start off with. Try 3000 calories per day and if you are not gaining weight add 250 the next week. I weigh 220 and eat around 4000 calories a day and can gain weight off that. If you eat 4000 you will pack on muscle and a significant amount of fat.

I suggest you start doing full body workouts and not a split. Workout 3X a week Mon/Wed/Fri. U are limited by only dumbbells but you can still do a decent workout. I'm tired so I won't comment on training till tomarrow, maybe Kosterzoo will.

Sorry Kosterzoo for giving out advice on your thread, but I couldn't let this kid get crappy advice about how eating Macdonalds 2X a day is "healthy" and a split with only arms/shoulder/chest is beneficial.
agree with all of this..

please ignore the advice you've been given from 'maxwell' sorry dude but your not really cutting it in terms of good advice, and you seem to lack knowledge yet portray that you know something so please stop because your giving out bad advice
 11 years ago '06        #131
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 XaVi01 said:
Can you lose strength without losing muscle mass?
I'm not sure if you worded the question correctly but yes you can lose strength without losing muscle mass..
 11 years ago '06        #132
O-King 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 seindiamond said:

Alright ima follow what Kos said in that post to:

Mon: Legs Quad Dominant (Squats on this day)
Tuesday: Chest and tricep
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Legs Gluets/Hams Dominant (Deadlifts on this day)
Friday: Back, Bicep
Sat: Off
Sun: Off

But 2000 of them calories is from the weight gainer but I see what your saying but when im reading your post your stating what kind of foods you should eat and thats where it confuses me cause i want to pick whichever food will help me gain weight.

But im guessing your saying for me to stop eating that way because of its not healthy, because "I cant get weight (dont like saying that to myself)" id be happy if I even got more fat then the average person. I can go a full yr just gaining 1 pound thats how hard it is for me (just adding food for thought) is it possible for me to gain weight by eating healthier? I do care for my health but I just dont know what to eat.

people always tell me to eat more but im not sure if they realize my matabalism is beyond fast.

Last edited by O-King; 02-07-2007 at 11:17 AM..
 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM         #133
Dacosta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ok I got a question,anyhow ive gone from about 140lbs and now weigh 173,but my shins are starting to hurt whenever i walk briskly,is it prehaps that i need to work my legs more in order to take my increase in weight,any help will be appreciated
 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM         #134
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 O-King said:
Alright ima follow what Kos said in that post to:

Mon: Legs Quad Dominant (Squats on this day)
Tuesday: Chest and tricep
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Legs Gluets/Hams Dominant (Deadlifts on this day)
Friday: Back, Bicep
Sat: Off
Sun: Off

But 2000 of them calories is from the weight gainer but I see what your saying but when im reading your post your stating what kind of foods you should eat and thats where it confuses me cause i want to pick whichever food will help me gain weight.

But im guessing your saying for me to stop eating that way because of its not healthy, because "I cant get weight (dont like saying that to myself)" id be happy if I even got more fat then the average person. I can go a full yr just gaining 1 pound thats how hard it is for me (just adding food for thought) is it possible for me to gain weight by eating healthier? I do care for my health but I just dont know what to eat.

people always tell me to eat more but im not sure if they realize my matabalism is beyond fast.
I understand its difficult for you to gain mass and you don't mind gaining fat. I'll list off foods that will help you gain mass at the same time as staying relatively lean.
Protein: fish, red meat, chicken, milk, eggs, egg whites, whey
Carbs: fruits, veggies can be eaten whenever you want. Sweet potatoes, yams, quinoa, steel cut oatmeal, brown rice. The ones in the last sentence carry a fair amount of calories too. Now you can eat some of the less healthier carbs such as: spaghetti, white rice. Those two are dense as hell with calories, I'd suggest ONLY eating them 2-3 hours after you workout. You should take in your weight gainer proteing IMMEDIATELY AFTER you workout.
Fats: olive oil, flax oil, avocadoes, nuts, peanut butter, CLA are all good fats. The fats are essential if you want to gain weight, trust me. One table spoon of olive oil has 150 calories. I suggest adding olive oil to salad with chicken. I like mixed greens, chicken, olive oil (2tbsp) in my case, 1 tbsp of apple vinegar or balsamic vinagrette, and walnuts.

I also suggest using a food log for a while. You'd be surprised how little you are probably eating. Make sure you eat 6-8 times a day. Use this site to calculate macronutrients and calories:

That exercise program looks good too.
 11 years ago '06        #135
O-King 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 seindiamond said:
I understand its difficult for you to gain mass and you don't mind gaining fat. I'll list off foods that will help you gain mass at the same time as staying relatively lean.
Protein: fish, red meat, chicken, milk, eggs, egg whites, whey
Carbs: fruits, veggies can be eaten whenever you want. Sweet potatoes, yams, quinoa, steel cut oatmeal, brown rice. The ones in the last sentence carry a fair amount of calories too. Now you can eat some of the less healthier carbs such as: spaghetti, white rice. Those two are dense as hell with calories, I'd suggest ONLY eating them 2-3 hours after you workout. You should take in your weight gainer proteing IMMEDIATELY AFTER you workout.
Fats: olive oil, flax oil, avocadoes, nuts, peanut butter, CLA are all good fats. The fats are essential if you want to gain weight, trust me. One table spoon of olive oil has 150 calories. I suggest adding olive oil to salad with chicken. I like mixed greens, chicken, olive oil (2tbsp) in my case, 1 tbsp of apple vinegar or balsamic vinagrette, and walnuts.

I also suggest using a food log for a while. You'd be surprised how little you are probably eating. Make sure you eat 6-8 times a day. Use this site to calculate macronutrients and calories:

That exercise program looks good too.
thanks alot mann i read so much and this is finally making some sense, ima take note of everything you said and try to organize it.
 02-09-2007, 09:52 PM         #136
XaVi01 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What are some good exercises to develop a fast throw/pitch?

(In handball and such sports)
 11 years ago '06        #137
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
You wanna do stuff like "Javelin Pullovers" or "Omni Pullovers" to help with throwing power, in addition to medicine ball throws etc..

In addition to your normal power type movements..

As always though you have to be "qualified" to do these movements so unless you've spent 12months in the gym then i won't explain these exercises.
 02-10-2007, 10:09 PM         #138
XaVi01 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thanks.

I've been doing weights for about two years but only recreational. But lately i've been thinking of getting into handball and was thinking about some good exs. for arm speed.
 11 years ago '06        #139
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
aight well if your just getting into the sport the most functional movement you can do and where you'll get your power training is the sport itself.
 11 years ago '07        #140
clipse_designz 
space
space
$2,747 | Props total: 66 66
owkay to recover for the next day how much protein do i have to have per pound or kg?

also even when i just to 50 push-ups a day my sides n shoulders hurt for ages! so do i need more protein/sleep?
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago