Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
97 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
36 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
69 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
62 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #81
MasterP 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,543 | Props total: 766 766
I really need to increase my triceps. What are the best exercises. I would like to do them at home. I currently have dumbells, a bench set, curl bar.

Also i was wondering whether an eliptical is better or a threadmill?
 01-28-2007, 08:54 AM         #82
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 carden said:
how should i bulk up my chest? and what food are good for that?

im 6'4 roun 200 pounds.
Any and all variations of the Bench Press... Incline, Decline, DBs, BB... If you're having troube recruiting the chest, i.e. overpowering delts and/or triceps, try exerting inward force through the lift by pushing your hands towards the center of the bar, without them actually moving...

Decline Flies are great as well...

There is no particular food that will put mass on your chest... Obviously... Get enough protein in your diet and make sure you're taking in enough total calories... It's not more complicated than that...
 01-28-2007, 09:06 AM         #83
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MasterP said:
I really need to increase my triceps. What are the best exercises. I would like to do them at home. I currently have dumbells, a bench set, curl bar.

Also i was wondering whether an eliptical is better or a threadmill?
Close-Grip Bench is great for triceps... Tuck the elbows and bring the bar down to your upper abs... If you have safety pins on your rack, you can do Pin Presses, which are also fantastic... Tricep Dips (not Bench Dips, mind you) are good if you can do them... Then supplement with isolation exercises wherever... Skullcrushers, DB Extensions, Overhead Extensions etc etc...

As for the elliptical vs. treadmill, I don't like either... I prefer straight running, cycling, rowing or even heavy bag work... The elliptical facilitates interval work better, so it would generally be a better choice...
 01-28-2007, 09:51 AM         #84
carden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Daddy's Home... said:
Any and all variations of the Bench Press... Incline, Decline, DBs, BB... If you're having troube recruiting the chest, i.e. overpowering delts and/or triceps, try exerting inward force through the lift by pushing your hands towards the center of the bar, without them actually moving...

There is no particular food that will put mass on your chest... Obviously... Get enough protein in your diet and make sure you're taking in enough total calories... It's not more complicated than that...

what are good protein supplements or food?
 11 years ago '04        #85
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
$1,136 | Props total: 2 2
 Daddy's Home... said:
Close-Grip Bench is great for triceps... Tuck the elbows and bring the bar down to your upper abs... If you have safety pins on your rack, you can do Pin Presses, which are also fantastic... Tricep Dips (not Bench Dips, mind you) are good if you can do them... Then supplement with isolation exercises wherever... Skullcrushers, DB Extensions, Overhead Extensions etc etc...

As for the elliptical vs. treadmill, I don't like either... I prefer straight running, cycling, rowing or even heavy bag work... The elliptical facilitates interval work better, so it would generally be a better choice...
i don't like either myself..but i wouldn't call either one of them better than the other. IMO it's just as easy to do intervals on a treadmill as on an elliptical....there are pre-programmed options for this on both, as well as being able to manually program one on each.

the elliptical has it's issues w/ stride length and the possible negative effects on the hip and knee joints, remedied slightly by the cybex arc trainer which allows you to manipulate the stride length slightly. again, i side against anything that locks you into a particular movement pattern. you should get a fair mix of both impact, and non-impact cardio activity as well. my main point being they both have uses AND FAULTS, and to mix it up. too much anything can be harmful. its' not the tool used that 's the problem, it's how you use it!

but i would again agree you are better off doing a variety of other things. swimming, running/sprinting, biking, rowing, and sports for the most part would all be more effective choices.

Last edited by WHAT_THE_; 01-28-2007 at 10:28 AM..
 11 years ago '04        #86
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
 carden said:
before you worry about supplements, make sure you are doing everything you reasonably can w/ real food/dietary intake. just do a simple google search for sources of protein. but to make it easy for you....

dairy products, lean meat/fish, and some beans and nuts are great sources of protein.
 11 years ago '04        #87
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
 Daddy's Home... said:

i'd just like to add to make sure you keep your scapulae retracted/shoulders back and locked in place through the range of motion.
 01-28-2007, 10:38 AM         #88
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 carden said:
Any Whey supplement will do... Stay away from mass gainers and similar sugary crap and just stick wit a basic whey supplement with a high protein ratio...

Lean cuts of beef, turkey and chicken brea$t, cottage cheese, egg whites, tuna, dairy, nuts (walnuts in particular)...
 01-28-2007, 10:41 AM         #89
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WHAT_THE_ said:
i'd just like to add to make sure you keep your scapulae retracted/shoulders back and locked in place through the range of motion.
Word... Also, close grip work on a decline seems to hit my triceps harder than flat... Give it a shot...
 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM         #90
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WHAT_THE_ said:
i don't like either myself..but i wouldn't call either one of them better than the other.
You know, I was really hesitant to use the word better... ahahah I really just hate treadmills for their clunky overcomplication of something as simple as running... I wouldn't use an elliptical myself either, but I definitely do prefer it to the treadmill... Not that it matters... Neither makes my cardio work Top Ten...
 01-28-2007, 12:53 PM         #91
carden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Daddy's Home... said:
Any Whey supplement will do... Stay away from mass gainers and similar sugary crap and just stick wit a basic whey supplement with a high protein ratio...

Lean cuts of beef, turkey and chicken brea$t, cottage cheese, egg whites, tuna, dairy, nuts (walnuts in particular)...
so i guess for lunch at work eat tuna sandwiches and drink whey protein shakes. thats alot of help folk. appreciate that. i will carry out the plan.
 01-28-2007, 01:03 PM         #92
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
decent lunch options... Make sure the bread is wholegrain tho... Also, you can blend some oatmeal and skim milk in with your protein to make more of a meal out of it...
 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM         #93
IceCreamMan17 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I play basketball and for my leg excercises i usually do 3 sets of 20 reps on each leg exercise..squat, leg ext, leg curl, and calf raises. Im trying to get my legs stronger/faster/better vertical not really get them all bulky, are there any downsides to this?
 11 years ago '04        #94
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
 IceCreamMan17 said:
I play basketball and for my leg excercises i usually do 3 sets of 20 reps on each leg exercise..squat, leg ext, leg curl, and calf raises. Im trying to get my legs stronger/faster/better vertical not really get them all bulky, are there any downsides to this?
- 20 reps is way to high for strength. keep it around 5 reps per set, higher weight accordingly. if you keep the overall volume lower(50 or less/week) you shouldn't have to worry about 'bulky'..... especially playing basketball and stretching(but not before you lift!)

- if you value your knees, you will stop the leg extentions immediately

- leg curl is not harmful, but it isn't effective either. SLDL, deep squats etc, would train the hamstrings more, as well as part of a system and not isolated. when in sports/activity in general does the hamstring contract and the rest of the posterior chain doesn't? hell you be better off doing some bridged leg curls on a physio ball than leg curls.

to summarize:

cut reps and add weight
nix leg curl and extension
add in some single leg or wide stance movements
sprinkle in some LOW volume plyometrics
 11 years ago '06        #95
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Aite I"ma weigh in on a few things here cause theres some thing i disagree on.. firstly though i'ma have a sleep...so maybe in a few hours i'll give some of my opinions on stuff
 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM         #96
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 IceCreamMan17 said:

20 rep squats won't contribute to strength. You need to do heavy weights and keep your rep range low and volume low since you don't want "bulky" legs. So try 3X3, 3X4, something like that and keep pushing yourself.
 01-28-2007, 09:14 PM         #97
IceCreamMan17 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WHAT_THE_ said:
- 20 reps is way to high for strength. keep it around 5 reps per set, higher weight accordingly. if you keep the overall volume lower(50 or less/week) you shouldn't have to worry about 'bulky'..... especially playing basketball and stretching(but not before you lift!)

- leg curl is not harmful, but it isn't effective either. SLDL, deep squats etc, would train the hamstrings more, as well as part of a system and not isolated. when in sports/activity in general does the hamstring contract and the rest of the posterior chain doesn't? hell you be better off doing some bridged leg curls on a physio ball than leg curls.

to summarize:

cut reps and add weight

good looking on the info, but u say leg extensions are bad on your knees? im just wondering what you base that on cuz i hear so many different things like for example i hear all the time squats are bad on your knees. If leg ext and curls are useless what are some other good lifts?...
 11 years ago '04        #98
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
 IceCreamMan17 said:
good looking on the info, but u say leg extensions are bad on your knees? im just wondering what you base that on cuz i hear so many different things like for example i hear all the time squats are bad on your knees. If leg ext and curls are useless what are some other good lifts?...

check the article above out for some good info on leg extensions.

as the article also states, if you are squatting and deadlifting correctly you're already working the invloved muscles already. but in addition, it would be good to add some single leg movements such as SLDL's, split squats, pistols, side lunges.
 11 years ago '06        #99
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 IceCreamMan17 said:

Whats your lifting history??

You might want to incorporate some plyo metrics into your workout.

Get rid of the leg ext, decrease your reps to a range of around 4-8 for around 4-8sets
 11 years ago '06        #100
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 WHAT_THE_ said:

to summarize:

cut reps and add weight

Knee Flexion or 'Leg Curls' are still an important movement so I wouldn't suggest getting rid of them. And in a routine they'd go BEFORE Hip Extension because of their fast twitch nature. In fact if you did leg curls, toes pointed (goes without say). Then followed that with your Romanian Deadlifts etc.. you'd find that you will be stronger with that lift.

So for an example program, if your only doing one day of legs it might be something like this

A1 Front Squats 5 x 5

B1 Bulgarian Squats 6-8
B2 Lying Leg Curls 6-8 X 4

C1 Side or Peterson Step Ups 12
C2 Romanian Deadlifts 8-12 X 4

D1 Prone Back Extension with Band 8-12 (or isometric hold) x 3-4

E1 Calf Raises 10 x 10 or 10-10-10 x 3

So you might look at doing something like this
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago