Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
69 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
261 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
77 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 01-19-2007, 11:41 AM         #61
Abstract 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hey, great thread and advice.

My question is to do with form on the standard bench press. You mentioned in another thread about many people having the wrong form, I think you mentioned an arched back and legs up and crossed both as being incorrect form (sorry if I'm misquoting here). Anyway, my back naturally arches when I press and I could fit a fist under my lower back, the only thing I've learned to combat this and keep my entire back flat on the bench is to raise my legs.

How do I correct my form, keeping my back from arching without lifting the legs?
 11 years ago '06        #62
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Hey man

Ok firstly with regards to the back thing, you must have very tight hip flexors so I'd recommend stretching them BIG TIME.

Secondly for the time being, place a step box at the end of the bench and put your feet onto this.

Aite the other things to remember with benching is to keep the shoulder blades tucked in and tight. only push to full arm extension, not the extra serratus anterior push that alot of people do, and make sure your grip is correct which is, for most people a fraction wider than they'd do there push ups from.

Other than this, without actually seeing you bench its hard to make corrections, make sure that the elbows stay tucked in and that your bringing the the bar down to the chest, good full range of motion.
 11 years ago '04        #63
thechanickal1 
space
space
space
$704 | Props total: 136 136
How should I be hitting my calves? I work them once a week and they are sore for the whole week. I do 3 exercises (different ones every other week) and I do 4 sets of 6-12. They get hit hard, but they don't get any bigger. I hear about people working them more often, but I thought your not supposed to work muscles that are sore. Thanks for any ideas you have because what I'm doing is not working.
 11 years ago '06        #64
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 thechanickal1 said:
How should I be hitting my calves? I work them once a week and they are sore for the whole week. I do 3 exercises (different ones every other week) and I do 4 sets of 6-12. They get hit hard, but they don't get any bigger. I hear about people working them more often, but I thought your not supposed to work muscles that are sore. Thanks for any ideas you have because what I'm doing is not working.
Hey man..

Try hitting them twice a week if you're after size and have stubborn calves..

Use this method

Day 1: Calf Raises 10 x 10 with 10 seconds rest between sets

Day 4: Seated Calf Raises 10-10-10 x 3 (triple Drop Set)
Donkey Calf Raises 30-50 x 3
 11 years ago '04        #65
PBills 1 heat pts
space
space
$703 | Props total: 192 192
wuts up kosterzoo, good thread. im 170 6"2 and im tryin 2 get 2 about 190. my upper body is starting to get big, but i have really skinny legs and hardly any calves. what exercizes do you suggest 4 me to do to get my legs bigger fast. i also have a really fast motabolism and it is hard 4 me 2 gain weight.i take creatine and protein shakes.

also, is there anything wrong with working out everyday and not giving your body a day of rest. to me it seems fine as long as im rotating my muscle groups.i usually do legs and abds one day, then chest shoulders and triceps the next day, and then back and arms, i continue doing that without taking a days rest. i dont see a problem with it because by the time i get back around to the muscle group i worked out 2 days prior, i feel that the muscles rae already rested and ready to be worked out again. but ur the expert, so what u think?
 11 years ago '06        #66
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Hey man

Few things

firstly you DO need rest days, because yes your right the muscles are rested with your current rotation but there is still the issue of neurological fatigue so i'd suggest something like this

Mon: Legs Quad Dominant (Squats on this day)
Tuesday: Chest and tricep
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Legs Gluets/Hams Dominant (Deadlifts on this day)
Friday: Back, Bicep
Sat: Off
Sun: Off

You want big legs you need to do the squattting Lunging exercises the big growth hormone and testosterone releasing ones..

I'll cop flack for this (from the guys that like to think they know ((Not talking about the regulars here)) ) but leg press CAN be used to some good for size AS long as your still squatting.. I.e. don't give up the squat to leg press rather do both.
 11 years ago '06        #67
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
1.) Drop your weight and get your form right

Seriously it may sound cool to ''squat 2x your bodyweight" or whatever but there's a reason your not improving.. Fix your technique

Squats: about 4seconds going down and it has to be either a.ss to floor OR at least legs PARALLEL to the ground.. you should have safe bars set up at just below the point of parallel as a guide.

Deadlift: The back must NOT do the lift in the inital phase.. Set the bar moving with the legs. Weight has to start on the ground, legs drive up, bar at the knees THEN use the back

Bench Press: Anything less that touching the chest... doesn't count control the bar down drive it up as fast as you can.

2.) Change your order

If your doing body split training and you always do say Back and Biceps and you routinely do 4back exercises followed by 4bicep exercises..

Change it so that you do your primary back exercise (which 8/10times should be pullups) then your second exercise is big bicep exercise (Say incline bicep curls) then do your remaining 3back exercise and remaining 3bicep exercises.

This is a great way to bust a plateau in the training of the secondary body part..

If your a TBT and you have compound movmenets A B C D the change the order every second week so its D C B A.

3.) If you've done it now for 6 weeks.. .you've done it to long

Exercises generally wear out there welcome after 6 weeks.. so basically if you want some good gains then change to something completely different for the following 6 weeks.. For example instead of bicep curls, do overhead bicep curls.. Go from Deadlift to sumo deadlift.. Back squats to front squats Or Bulgarian squats..

Basically hit your body with something completely different.. if your training for strength then you should actually change your primary exercise selection EVERY WEEK to maximise the development of neurological pathways.

4.) If the exercise makes you look weak.. do it till it makes you look strong.

The reason everyone does Leg press is for that exact reason.. its easy to throw the plates on.. and yes while i think there is a time for the leg press, i also think that an experienced gym goer should be doing advanced exercises.. so as i say go from your "Double body weight Back squat" and try some over head squats... you'd probably have to start at about 25-50% of the weight.. but from there you'll get stronger for it... then when you get back to back squatting you will have some strength gains for it..

Alternatively try doing some single leg squats.. very humbling but very effective

Same as doing Pull ups instead of lat pull down.. yeah they're harder but everyone should be doing them..

If you can't do many. start with parallel grip and do say 5sets of 2-5reps then you build up on that..

My current personal goal is 20 wide grip pullups at the moment i can do 10 and sometimes i only get sets of 5reps but i don't care how "weak" i look because i n the long run i'll be stronger for it.

So other nice ones to do: Cuban Press, Bulgarian Squats, Over Head split squats, good mornings

5.) become a rest break freak.

This has been mentioned on T-Nation recently but its always been one of my big things to do.. Accurately time your rest breaks right down to the last second.

I have a watch that beeps at the required time intervention so i'm always getting enough rest/not having too long. and its fantastic for me because i tend to under do my rest periods.. my strength has shot up because of it. And when i had the greatest size gains in my life (i'm not aloud to get bigger now) was when i was doing 5sets of 12 with 60seconds rest religiously.

Aite that'll do for now. Theres no "cardio on an empty stomach" info here.. just some real stuff..

Feel free to add your own.. but if i disagree i will challange you on your theorys/
 11 years ago '04        #68
thechanickal1 
space
space
space
Thanks for answering my question, I have another if thats ok? lol
I know its important to change you workout but I'm wondering if I change my exercises too much. I never do the same exercise two weeks in a row, and I'm constantly changing angles etc. Is there such a thing as changing things too much? Thanks again.
 01-24-2007, 10:22 PM         #69
Jesse James 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Aite that'll do for now. Theres no "cardio on an empty stomach" info here.. just some real stuff../
Cute.
 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM         #70
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'll add some nutritional ones:
1. Eat breakfast (a bowl of cereal DOES NOT count)
The breakfast should be composed of healthy carbs, protein and a little bit of fat. I usually eat oatmeal mixed with a scoop of chocolate whey and then either a cup of cottage cheese or eggs and egg whites, and fruit. Breakfast is important because your body has been fasting overnight and in need of energy. If you don't eat breakfast you allow the chance of your muscles protein to be used as energy, obviously you don't want this if your goal is hypertrophy.

2. Eat protein at every meal
Not only is protein the building blocks of muscle but it can also help in body comp. Protein has the highest TEF or thermal effect of feeding of the 3 macronutrient groups. This means that the more protein you eat the more your metabolism is stimulated as it costs the most calories for your body to digest protein.

3. Eat veggies and/or fruits at every meal
This levels out your pH. There is a ridiculous number of people with high pH's due to insufficient amounts of fruits and veggies. There are many other benefits as well

4. Consume periworkout and post workout drinks
I remember there was a thread about energy drinks not helping out etc. For me personally I don't need energy drinks for anything. I can play ball for 3 hours in the sun and not drink anything. Is this healthy or beneficial? Obviously not. That's besides the point though. I've said it many times before that a periworkout energy drink can do a number of things:
1. Decrease the chances of sickness due to immune system depression while lifting
2. Increase protein synthesis
3. Research has shown that it can increase performance for the next workout.

In other words it's really important. Check out t-nation and Nutrient Timing for my references if you don't believe me.

5. Consume healthy fats
Olive oil, CLA, fish oil, avocadoes, nuts are all great. If you are bulking and need extra calories fats are a great way to help you out. They are the most dense in calories, packing 10 calories per gram. If you have a salad with two tbsp's olive oil and a handful of nuts that's upwards of 45g's of healthy fats, and also 450 calories.

I'll add some more sh*t later as well.
 11 years ago '06        #71
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
^^
Very nice great contribution

I'll add to number 4. and say that during training you should consume a carb/protein mix also
 11 years ago '06        #72
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Hey man

Providing you're keeping track of the weights pushed and are bettering every second week thats fine.

I'd suggest Alternating between two exercises for each movement

I.e. Week 1 Dead Week 2 Sumo Deads Week 3 Deads again.

That way you can still make progress in your lifts
 11 years ago '04        #73
thechanickal1 
space
space
space
That's just what I thought! I haven't been keeping track of my weight or timing sets! I'm going to have to start taking that more "scientific approach".

I have been reading a lot of new sh*t these days and listening to your ideas. The people at my gym don't even know what I'm talking about when I say they should change negatives from 4sec to 2 etc. When I tell them about that no stretching until 8 hrs they say I'm crazy.
I don't know man, its too early to report but at least I'm trying new things and MONITORING them. Also i would like to say that I have a bachelor's in business and its all about updating your knowledge and f!ghting old "dogmas". Sometimes its easier to kick the dead horse then buy a new one, thats how I was with weightlifting, but I know in business this would never work. Thanks again and expect more questions lol
 11 years ago '04        #74
thechanickal1 
space
space
space
Here is my real problem. I believe i have Scheuermann's deisese. This has shown up in xrays when I was younger and I can see it in the mirror. (Don't have insurance anymore) The hump part in my back consistently gets sore since I was a kid. I try to maintain good posture all day long but it starts to hurt after a while.
Besides this problem I injured my back 5 years ago at work when I was 21. I'm not sure what happened but sometimes i have sciatica. The left side of my back, especially at my lower back where my hip meets lower back muscle. (This went on for 5 years)
It's a miracle but about 3 weeks ago it hurt so bad I could not move. The next day I didn't have the sciatica or the acute pain in my lower left back. Now if I move in certain places I can feel acute pain in that same area, but overall its better.
The hump still gets sore after a long day. Also my lower left back gets sore. I have been stretching the Mckensie exercises and your hip flexor one you recommended before the thread was deleted.
I would like to say that my lower back is always sore too. Not so much the acute pain but just lower back in general. Everything else is strong as hell besides my back, and yes I do back exercises. I've tried everything I could, now I would like to improve my posture, make my hump less humpy and make my lower back pain free especially my left back. I looking for a job and would send you some money for a program eventually. I have about 5,000 cds and tons of great pr0nos to trade for now? Thanks for your time.

Last edited by thechanickal1; 01-25-2007 at 02:34 PM..
 11 years ago '04        #75
thechanickal1 
space
space
space
What should you eat and when should you eat it after a workout and why?
 11 years ago '04        #76
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts
space
space
$25,670 | Props total: 177 177
can u move all this info to ur sticky.. that the reason why i give u one.. so u can help ppl who had questions, and ppl can come and discussion other ppl questions
 01-25-2007, 09:10 AM         #77
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ™Mason™ said:
can u move all this info to ur sticky.. that the reason why i give u one.. so u can help ppl who had questions, and ppl can come and discussion other ppl questions
Good idea... Hit Em Up's thread is meant to be full of stuff like this...

Excellent posts btw... It gets boring when I just agree with everything tho... Somebody should make an outrageous claim...
 01-25-2007, 02:46 PM         #78
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Daddy's Home... said:
Good idea... Hit Em Up's thread is meant to be full of stuff like this...

Excellent posts btw... It gets boring when I just agree with everything tho... Somebody should make an outrageous claim...
The best exercises for gaining mass in the legs is leg extensions;). Prove me wrong!!!!!
 01-25-2007, 02:49 PM         #79
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 thechanickal1 said:
What should you eat and when should you eat it after a workout and why?
After you workout you should eat fast digesting protein like whey and fast digesting carbohydrates. This is the only time something with sugar is acceptable. Juice is good. I usually have it with rolled oats. I have
2 Scoops Whey
1 Cup rolled oats
14 Oz water with some ice

Then on the side I'll have a cup of cranberry juice, sometimes a bagel.
 01-27-2007, 06:52 PM         #80
carden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
how should i bulk up my chest? and what food are good for that?

im 6'4 roun 200 pounds.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago