Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
 91
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
141 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
 77
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
197 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 68
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
246 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 53
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
86 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '05        #21
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
 kosterzoo said:
Aite man start here:

If you are SERIOUS about losing weight and I mean absolutely serious then for the next 14days here are you eating guidelines you can only eat it if its one of the following:

Fly's in the air
Runs in a field
Swims in the water
Its Green

Very basic, your exceptions are you can have protein powders providing the carbs are less that 5g's, you can have SOME fruits if you are starting to feel tired or sluggish and lastly, although not recommended, you can have stimulants such as caffeine to help you for energy. Green tea being the best choice.

Other supplements I'd suggest include Fish Oil (current 'wonder drug'), L-Carnitine 2g's post training or glutamine.

Ok so thats nutrition taken care of "in a nut shell"

post training you can have 0.6grams of protein per kg of bodyweight. So for you thats around 70g's which would be the equivalent of two good protein shakes.

Weights training is the far superior method to lose weight so that should be done 2-3times a week, for cardio i'd suggest 20mins of interval work or H.I.I.T so this would be jog/sprint work on the road (jog 2 lamp posts, sprint 1) or hill sprints etc..

so a good split for you would be something like this

Mon-Weds-Fri Gym
Weekends - Interval work, either/both days

remember interval work can be something such as playing basketball..

Hope this helps
Props for the help. Got a couple questions though.
I heard that for HIIT training you can do like 4 mins of warmup, then like 6 cycles of 30 secs full strength, 30 secs rest and then a 2 min cool down. Is that good for my cardio or should I extend it?
Also what about Abs? What are some good ones for a guy my size and how many sets/reps should I be doing.
With things you said I should eat for 14 days, I'm kind of clueless on what I should eat for Breakfast. Any suggestions?
And what about Pre workout. What should I eat and what shouldn't I eat?
Finally with the weight lifting. Do you have any sites or suggestions of what reps and weight I should be doing?

Thanks for your help man. Props your knowledge is awesome.


Last edited by Santoro; 01-11-2007 at 08:22 AM..
 11 years ago '05        #22
aRs0NisT 
space
space
space
$1,373 | Props total: 0 0
I just want to gain a very high endurance level..thats it.. I want to get my breathing better and run for days, without straining myself.
 01-10-2007, 10:37 PM         #23
Killinit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
give me a new workout bro....Im a trainer and all that sh*t myself, Im a solid 195, very little body fat and solid, strong, bench over 3, but been lifting the same weight for years, been lifting for over 10 years now, been lifting the same weight for a solid 5 years in most exercises.....I just need a new kickstart to get over my plateau........tired of training people and want someone to train me, need a new routine or something, I want to gain some size, a lot of strength but dont want to put on fat...help me buddy...I currently workout approximately 5 days a week, but would cut it to less or even do more, Im currently on the one or sometimes two body parts a day, but help me out bro, hook me up, I also currently do about 3, 4, or sometimes even 5 sets of like again 3, 4, or 5 exercises per body part, ranging in anywhere from 20-6 reps THANKS.....daddys home you can post an answer to if you got the time, cause you know your sh*t too
 01-10-2007, 11:20 PM         #24
NickthaQuick1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Hey man... 1stly just make sure your changing your exercise routine every 6weeks.. so switch between d/b's and barbells etc...

anyways onto your question.. For your Upper Back I'd suggest exercises such as the different pullup variations, d/b rows and seated row with a rope to the neck and also upper chest..

Daddy's home is a fan on the deadlift for back development so also include that in there and depending on your splits it should be your first exercise you do on a given day.

Shoulders should revolve around pressing movements, you may want to try a behind the neck press (which is fine providing you've got good shoulders). Or a bradford press, which is one press in front one behind.

My current shoulder routine is this

Push/Press: 4 x 6
Semi-Supinated Braced Shoulder Press: 5 x 5 each side
Plate Front Raise: 10-10-10 x 2 (drop set that is)
Prone Flyes Or Face Pulls: 4 x 12

The Additional Shoulder work can include Plate front raises (use full range of motion hold plate, arms straight lift it right about head) and probably you'd benefit from prone flyes also. Any form of side raising etc.. is also good..

Probably of good benefit would be to try changing your rep range.. if your on 10 reps at the mo drop down to reps of 4-6 for a while... conversely if your on 4-6's try 8-12's..

good looks on the advice it will really help me out. also, im doing 3 sets of ten for everything else (bi's and tri's one day, chest another) and doing 2 excersises in a row like bench 10 reps then 10 pushups right after (i think there called supersets?)... would i benefit from a change and start sets of 4-6 with more weight?
 11 years ago '06        #25
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
UPDATE TO YOU ALL:

Hey everyone will get to your questions tomorrow. Had computer crash out on me (thats what you get for trying to update to SP2 I guess) so just on the slow process of reinstalling everything..

Sorry for the delays,
 11 years ago '05        #26
Mr Hyde 22 heat pts22
space
avatar space
space
$2,872 | Props total: 0 0
Yo whatz up fam.. im bout 6 feet about 180... Im trying to get big arms,chest,abs and back.. How can i go about this...
 11 years ago '06        #27
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 Santoro said:
Props for the help. Got a couple questions though.
I heard that for HIIT training you can do like 4 mins of warmup, then like 6 cycles of 30 secs full strength, 30 secs rest and then a 2 min cool down. Is that good for my cardio or should I extend it?
Also what about Abs? What are some good ones for a guy my size and how many sets/reps should I be doing.
With things you said I should eat for 14 days, I'm kind of clueless on what I should eat for Breakfast. Any suggestions?
And what about Pre workout. What should I eat and what shouldn't I eat?
Finally with the weight lifting. Do you have any sites or suggestions of what reps and weight I should be doing?

Thanks for your help man. Props your knowledge is awesome.
Hey man, yip you got it right for the H.I.I.T stuff. do bouts of no more than around 20mins otherwise the intensity will drop and at the most i'd repeat it twice.

Don't worry about abs at this stage direct abdominal work will NOT decrease abdominal fat.. best thing to be doing to induce the growth hormone release (which metabolizes fat) is the big compound movements such as squats..

Nutritionally just follow the guidelines I gave you...

With regards to workouts, as I stated in the opening I'm unable to give workouts out on here for a few reasons. 1) I have paying clients online that would be ticked off if i was to do so 2) until performing a comprehensive screener I don't like to give out programs which aren't customized

I have no problems giving alternate suggestions to routines but yeah other than that sorry can't do the whole program thing.
 11 years ago '06        #28
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 aRs0NisT said:
I just want to gain a very high endurance level..thats it.. I want to get my breathing better and run for days, without straining myself.
Hey man.. if your goals are just related to running and none gym related then I'd suggest your training should consist of 2-3 runs a week and one H.R.I.T workout

HRIT to you say?? Whats this?!?

Similar to HIIT but shorter durations and also involves explosive step ups

SO its 3-5sets of the following

Running with a bungee attached 30secs HARD/30secs REST x5
Explosive step ups 12 x 2 on each side

So a workout week might look like this

MON Light/Moderate Jog
TUES
WEDS HRIT Work
THURS
FRI Speed Work
SAT
SUN Long duration Run
 11 years ago '06        #29
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 Killinit said:
give me a new workout bro....Im a trainer and all that sh*t myself, Im a solid 195, very little body fat and solid, strong, bench over 3, but been lifting the same weight for years, been lifting for over 10 years now, been lifting the same weight for a solid 5 years in most exercises.....I just need a new kickstart to get over my plateau........tired of training people and want someone to train me, need a new routine or something, I want to gain some size, a lot of strength but dont want to put on fat...help me buddy...I currently workout approximately 5 days a week, but would cut it to less or even do more, Im currently on the one or sometimes two body parts a day, but help me out bro, hook me up, I also currently do about 3, 4, or sometimes even 5 sets of like again 3, 4, or 5 exercises per body part, ranging in anywhere from 20-6 reps THANKS.....daddys home you can post an answer to if you got the time, cause you know your sh*t too


Hey man,. as I said above I'm sorry but I'm unable to give out free programs online.

If your wanting to try something different you could look at German Volume Training, German Body Comp, or one of waterburys routines?
 11 years ago '05        #30
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
 kosterzoo said:
Hey man, yip you got it right for the H.I.I.T stuff. do bouts of no more than around 20mins otherwise the intensity will drop and at the most i'd repeat it twice.

Don't worry about abs at this stage direct abdominal work will NOT decrease abdominal fat.. best thing to be doing to induce the growth hormone release (which metabolizes fat) is the big compound movements such as squats..

Nutritionally just follow the guidelines I gave you...

With regards to workouts, as I stated in the opening I'm unable to give workouts out on here for a few reasons. 1) I have paying clients online that would be ticked off if i was to do so 2) until performing a comprehensive screener I don't like to give out programs which aren't customized

I have no problems giving alternate suggestions to routines but yeah other than that sorry can't do the whole program thing.
Much props. And I know you can't give out routines, but do you know any good sites that have good routines?
Also I'm still clueless on breakfast. Should I just drink a protein shake or what?
 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM         #31
One_Luv 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I have to say your giving great advice, I've never seen anyone break push ups down to such a science anyway I was going to ask you a question about bulking up but you pretty much already answered it.
 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM         #32
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Good idea Kosterzoo. If I think of anything good I'll ask you rather than "Mr. 6 day split";)
 11 years ago '06        #33
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
^^
Hah thanks man We're just ignorant for not believing all his advice.. (well thats what he'd say!)
 01-12-2007, 03:16 PM         #34
Timedatombomb 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Hey man...

Working hard etc.. I'd expect for you to see some results within the month
hey if i work lets say my back and my biceps one day... i want to max my work out.. i am in no way trying to take shortcuts... so should i do 2 diffrent exercises on each body part and like i said low reps?

ex. Back = i do 3 sets of 6-10 dumb dumbell lying row.. then 3 sets of 6-10 barbell upright

biceps= i do 3 sets of 6-10 hammers then samething with curls..

i want to put on more weight and do even lower reps but sense i am kinda startin out gettin back in it i think i should stay between those reps sound right?

I also do my last set until failure.....

now like i was said should i do 3 exersices per muscle or is this fine? this is how all my exercises pretty much look just diff muscles..?

thanks again man
big help
 11 years ago '06        #35
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
 Timedatombomb said:
hey if i work lets say my back and my biceps one day... i want to max my work out.. i am in no way trying to take shortcuts... so should i do 2 diffrent exercises on each body part and like i said low reps?

ex. Back = i do 3 sets of 6-10 dumb dumbell lying row.. then 3 sets of 6-10 barbell upright

biceps= i do 3 sets of 6-10 hammers then samething with curls..

i want to put on more weight and do even lower reps but sense i am kinda startin out gettin back in it i think i should stay between those reps sound right?

I also do my last set until failure.....

now like i was said should i do 3 exersices per muscle or is this fine? this is how all my exercises pretty much look just diff muscles..?

thanks again man
big help

Hey man.. give this a go...

Do your max weight on the bench for 1 rep (your 1RM) so lets just say its 100kgs..

From that rest 10minutes and do 85% of that weight, i.e. 85kgs..

NOW

if you can only do 1-4 reps, you should take 3 reps off your rep range (i.e. work 5-8 reps instead of 8-12)

if you can do 5-7 reps, stick with your 8-12 routine for now.

If you can do 7+ reps, go for a 12-15reps routine.

in terms of exercises if your breaking the body splits. you want to hit each muscle group with 8-10working sets..

Now I find that Upper Body you can spread this over 2-3 exercises but lower body, i.e. quads, you need to split it over 3-4 exercises


So for example Bench Press could be 4 x 8-12 then Incline Flyes Super Setted with Incline Bench Palms in for 3 sets each to get your 10

however on the quads you might work better to do front squats 4x 8-12, follow with say split squats 2 sets, bulgarian squats 2sets and manual leg extensions 2sets..
 01-13-2007, 08:38 PM         #36
Timedatombomb 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Hey man.. give this a go...

Do your max weight on the bench for 1 rep (your 1RM) so lets just say its 100kgs..

From that rest 10minutes and do 85% of that weight, i.e. 85kgs..

NOW

if you can only do 1-4 reps, you should take 3 reps off your rep range (i.e. work 5-8 reps instead of 8-12)

if you can do 5-7 reps, stick with your 8-12 routine for now.

If you can do 7+ reps, go for a 12-15reps routine.

in terms of exercises if your breaking the body splits. you want to hit each muscle group with 8-10working sets..

Now I find that Upper Body you can spread this over 2-3 exercises but lower body, i.e. quads, you need to split it over 3-4 exercises


So for example Bench Press could be 4 x 8-12 then Incline Flyes Super Setted with Incline Bench Palms in for 3 sets each to get your 10

however on the quads you might work better to do front squats 4x 8-12, follow with say split squats 2 sets, bulgarian squats 2sets and manual leg extensions 2sets..
Thanks alot... I think I got things down and my routine setup..
 01-13-2007, 10:15 PM         #37
ballin4life 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hey man...can you tel me a couple of exercises that work out the core of the body and lower back?
 11 years ago '06        #38
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
^^
Hey man, quiet simply start with, if not already doing them, deadlifts and all the variations of them.

From there you wanna be doing prone back extensions or hypers as they're sometimes called.. you can do isometric holds of them for like 30secs repeating for 4sets,

"Core Work" is done alot with squatting and deadlifting.. if your wanting to do extra stuff i'm a fan of bracing exercises.
 01-14-2007, 01:00 PM         #39
ballin4life 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
props man
 11 years ago '05        #40
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
Hey Kosterzoo you never answered this question for me.
Much props. And I know you can't give out routines, but do you know any good sites that have good routines?
Also I'm still clueless on breakfast. Should I just drink a protein shake or what?
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 73
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
58 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 57
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
53 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 53
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
70 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 24
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
77 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
 22
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
22 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 19
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
44 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 18
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
144 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 17
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
191 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy