Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
86 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #221
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,833 | Props total: 1175 1175
 kosterzoo said:
Aight I can answer your questions now

i think we covered this with my last reply so yeah ideally failing in the last few sets however initial load might feel 'light'

I'd do a combo of Compounds and Iso's and I'll give away one of my theories here for lagging body parts:

Lagging body parts should be supersetted with Squats and Deadlifts OR done immediately following/same workout.

These two are among the highest growth hormone releasing exercises so my theory is by performing these/inducing a growth hormone release. The following work done in the session will benefit from this.. I've only just started to do this stuff and have had pretty good results with it.

So for example if biceps are lacking

A1: Hack Squats 5 x 5 rest 60seconds
A2: Cummiford Curls 6-8 x 5 rest 90seconds

B1: Leg Press (thats right legs press :P) 15 x 4
B2: Bicep 1 1/2 Curls 8-12 x 4

OR

Extended Set
A: Fronts Squats 5RM, rest 15secs MAX, rest 15secs MAX x 3sets rest 90seconds between sets

Origin/Insertion Superset
B1: Reverse Grip Pullups MAX x 4 no rest
B2: Single Arm Barbell Curls 8 + 4 eccentrics x 4 rest 90seconds

Yeah, you re-test your 1RM's and then you should have a new 60% mark.. A nice way to do it is to perform Poliquins upper body structural balance testing.. then you get your percentage lifts alot easier

In terms of maximising your results.. figure out if your a 'sets' guy or an 'exercise guy'

what i mean by this is do you respond best to high sets small number of exercises OR do you go better off Smaller number of sets and a variety of exercises..

Myself, for hypertrophy, I find i'm better at doing no more than 4sets per exercise and doing about 2-3 different exercises per body part Vs some guys respond best of 5-7sets but only 2x exercise

Dam theres nothin more i need to kno...u just said it all there. Ure theory behing lagging boddy parts sounds promising as hell so ill definatly give it a try...ill check back in about two month after giving this routine a go and let u kno how it goes...

Once again thanks a lot man i owe u one big time.
 11 years ago '06        #222
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Hey guys

Please don't PM me asking "Can you reply to my thread"

If i don't reply it will be because

A) I don't think its worth replying to (i.e. How to i gain weight.. i'm really serious but i don't have time to eat right)

B) I think the question has be sufficiently answered

C) I haven't even read your thread

if you have a question put it in here please and when I've got time I'll answer it for you.

As you can see from my sig. Only really want people to Message me if they're after consultation

Last edited by kosterzoo; 05-01-2007 at 11:36 PM..
 11 years ago '05        #223
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
Syntrax Guggulbolic Extreme - Thyroid Suppressant
Nutrex Lipo 6 - Thermogenic Fat Burners
Vita-A-Man - Multi Vitamin for men
L-Glutamine 500
Whey Protein - 1-2 Scoops a day
Flax Seed Oil

Out of these what would you recommend me taking and not taking? And how much should I be taking daily? I'm 6'1 290 trying to lose 50 pounds of fat. Also any other supplements you could recommend?
 11 years ago '06        #224
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
If you're just starting to train (which i'm guessing you are) then i don't think you should be taking anything...

However if you feel you must then:

Vita-A-Man - Multi Vitamin for men
Whey Protein - 1-2 Scoops a day
 11 years ago '06        #225
Supreme7 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,849 | Props total: 2011 2011
whats good i have a couple questions for you. im 19 training for basketball

1.How should I Lift for basketball as far as sets and reps like what is optimal for speed and power.

2. whats the best way to get in condition to run the floor every play

3. i watch the nba and guys like kobe and lebron play 40 mins a night back to back and their legs never seem to get tired and they still have energy in the 4th quater. how can i train to be able to do also?

4. are there any supplements you can reccomend for now which is off-season weight training and also in season supplemens which could help as far as recovery between games and practices.

Thanks I appreciate your help
 11 years ago '07        #226
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
$2,686 | Props total: 855 855
hi, i am new but i read about 10 pages of this thread, and i apologize if these questions have already been answered....

1. First thing in the morning, i run for about 30 minutes....should i be eating before or after? usually i eat a protein bar or a shake before, then eat after.....Also, what is the latest time of day that i should be eating before i go to sleep?

2. What is your stance on the Bowflex machine.....i bought one for dirt cheap, and i am trying to build muscle while cutting fat right now......Will it work at all? (I've been using it about a week now for 3 times a week)

3. I read that I should be taking at least .5g of whey protein for ebery pound that i weigh in order to build muscle and cut the fat.....is this true?
 11 years ago '06        #227
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 makaveli_420 said:
hi, i am new but i read about 10 pages of this thread, and i apologize if these questions have already been answered....

1. First thing in the morning, i run for about 30 minutes....should i be eating before or after? usually i eat a protein bar or a shake before, then eat after.....Also, what is the latest time of day that i should be eating before i go to sleep?
Hey man, ok you should be eating something before and after as you state there, prior to training ya protein sources would be best and post training if your trying to lose weight protein and possibly glutamine is good but protein is a good start.

makaveli_420 said:
2. What is your stance on the Bowflex machine.....i bought one for dirt cheap, and i am trying to build muscle while cutting fat right now......Will it work at all? (I've been using it about a week now for 3 times a week)
Despite the hate i'll get for saying this, bowflex is fine.. It offers increments in resistance and a variety of movements... Just make sure you alter the movements you do on it every week and use the following rep schemes in your week.

Workout 1: 5-8
Workout 2: 8-12
Workout 3: 12-15

makaveli_420 said:
3. I read that I should be taking at least .5g of whey protein for ebery pound that i weigh in order to build muscle and cut the fat.....is this true?
ah i mean its near enough to... its actually a range which is about 0.8-1.6g's per Kg of bodyweight.. can be up to 2.2kgs also.. just depends on training experience etc.. i'd say for you though 1.2g's per kgs of bodyweight would be plenty (sorry i work in kgs)
 11 years ago '07        #228
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
okay great, thanks for the info.....1 more question, should i be changing the weight for each different week i work the Bowflex.....ex.....pyramid technique where i would increase the weight each week?
 11 years ago '06        #229
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
yeah you should always be trying to increase but just use those rep ranges i mentioned above
 11 years ago '07        #230
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
okay, great, thanks again. i have one more question but i didnt find anything in the Nutrition forum.....I weigh about 190 and am 6'3.....if i want to cut fat and gain muscle weight......now, should i be eating more or less calories per day?
 11 years ago '06        #231
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Without going into too much detail

Eat Predominately protein in your diet and use that to get above your 'calorie expenditure' ... post training have your carbs
 11 years ago '07        #232
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
awesome, but should i be consuming more or less calories? i'm just wondering cuz i dont wanna be eating too much which would defeat the purpose of trying to cut the fat weight...
 05-15-2007, 01:55 AM         #233
flex001 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lets say u is bench pressing 10 times in a set.. 5 times.. every other day..plus the same with cruel bar.. how long will it take to buff ur chest and arms up?
 11 years ago '04        #234
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,273 | Props total: 273 273
 flex001 said:
lets say u is bench pressing 10 times in a set.. 5 times.. every other day..plus the same with cruel bar.. how long will it take to buff ur chest and arms up?
working your chest every other day is not a smart thing to do...thats just not allowing enough recovery time

plus it depends on if you got a good diet and if you're sleeping right. no one can really tell you how big your chest and arms will get.
 11 years ago '06        #235
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
^^
Agreed.

You can't just work one part of your body.. you can 'focus' on certain areas but don't just train that part of your body..

Also just so you all know I'm in Japan for the month so My updates may be a little less frequent
 11 years ago '05        #236
Rubix 
space
space
$8,495 | Props total: 828 828
okay, i recently started working full time graveyard shifts now that school is out and im finding it extremely difficult to make time for the gym (during my waking hours on my work days i take care of my daughter and spend time with the girl) and i basically have only 2 back to back days out of the week to hit the gym. right now im bulking, and im trying to re-construct my routine to currently meet my needs, so i was wondering if doing a push-pull split on those two days would be the best way for me to reach my goals. also, would it be better to just hit the gym right after i get off of work (6 am) rather than wait for my off days? my body usually feels like shutting down around that time..should i just hit the gym anyway? if i do that, i'd be able to hit the gym at least 3 times a week...
 11 years ago '04        #237
the_hype05 
space
space
space
$1,742 | Props total: 0 0
kosterzoo,
if i do my weights and then about an hour or two later i do 2 other exercises (that werent at the gym), does that negatively effect me in any way?

preciate it..
 11 years ago '06        #238
m!ck3y 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,246 | Props total: 628 628
Oh great Kasterzoo...

Im 6'0 155 lbs and I have a belly that I want to loose...is it possible to loose the belly and bulk up at the same time..

I eat 3-4-5 times a day and I cut out all junk food..no soda...i eat chicken rice..subway (6 grm fat menu) and things like that I also drink alot of water..yet i still have a belly but I do 100 situps a night..any advice?
 11 years ago '06        #239
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Rubix said:
okay, i recently started working full time graveyard shifts now that school is out and im finding it extremely difficult to make time for the gym (during my waking hours on my work days i take care of my daughter and spend time with the girl) and i basically have only 2 back to back days out of the week to hit the gym. right now im bulking, and im trying to re-construct my routine to currently meet my needs, so i was wondering if doing a push-pull split on those two days would be the best way for me to reach my goals. also, would it be better to just hit the gym right after i get off of work (6 am) rather than wait for my off days? my body usually feels like shutting down around that time..should i just hit the gym anyway? if i do that, i'd be able to hit the gym at least 3 times a week...
Hey man, sounds like you're quiet full on but with planning i know you can manage it.

Try this method 3x days a week, after you finish work i.e. 6am hit the gym and do one major exercise, i.e. Squats day one, bench day two, deadlifts day three.. Perform 5 sets of 8-12 reps with 90seconds rest, then perform a second exercise i.e. lunges, pulldown, shoulder press at 4sets of 12-15 with only 30secs rest.. Workout over, get home rest etc..

Then on your free days have a more structured gym workout and just make sure you're sleeping very well and that your nutrition is on point
 11 years ago '06        #240
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 the_hype05 said:
kosterzoo,
if i do my weights and then about an hour or two later i do 2 other exercises (that werent at the gym), does that negatively effect me in any way?

preciate it..
not really but can you elaborate as to what they are and why you do them>>
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
36 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
86 comments
21 hours ago