Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
68 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
37 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
17 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
75 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 03-28-2007, 12:08 AM         #201
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Some take home thoughts

Nothing is good nor bad... Things are just better/safer for some individuals.. For example some people complain of shoulder pain in doing full range dips, does it make them a bad exercise?? no.

Some people have great results of creatine, others get nothing... Should i buy it??? Well the answer there is obviously one of trial and error.

Point I'm getting at is people online, Particularly the slowly declining t-nation (gasp) are so dogmatic that they wont to say "oh back squats suck yadda yadda" ... There is very few exercises that should NEVER be done, people often use these such excuses because A) Its hard to do an exercise OR B) they're not strong at an exercise.

I like the waterbury approach with that regard...

Write down everything you've done in the last 6weeks/months and your now not allowed to do those exercises for 8weeks...

Sure your program wont have your 'favourite' exercises but it'll get you alot more results...

Thats why I always say to people.. .do you wanna get big or just look strong in the gym..?
Very well said. Alot of the people on T-nation are like blind sheep. A coach will say something and people will follow it as if it is the word of god. I totally agree that people need to learn certain things themselves. If something works for you, keep doing it as long as it works. If you get huge legs off the leg press, make it your staple. The coaches do obviously have their place and influence decisions, which is why they are there.

I read everything, and take like Bruce Lee said "absorb what is useful, discard what is not."

I hope I don't sound hypocritical here but I'm doing CW's QD program now. The 2X25 squats with heels elevated is one of the most painful experiences I've ever had. I also felt like I was gonna puke my peri-workout drink.
 03-31-2007, 12:19 PM         #202
D3KA1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this may already have been asked, but 14 pages is alot to skim through

would you recommend the air alert program?
ive heard its unsafe, but ive heard it works well

im 100% commited to completing the whole 15 weeks

my legs are in (imo) good shape
i run cross country in the fall, play basketball all winter and have been doing squats/calf raises/leg presses for a while

im 17 6'3 185lbs and can dunk (not as well as id like)

would you recommend that i start air alert, or is it going to "ruin my legs" like ppl say

thanks
 11 years ago '06        #203
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Hey man...

air alert is ok... its a very large overload type workout though so you've just got to watch technique throughout... the thing with the program is that you need to have a very high level of conditioning to start with...

So for you, i'd suggest that you should be able to Squat 220lbs for 5reps, a.ss to floor squatting, full range of motion. Before you attempt this program..

if you can do this then you'd be ok to start... Also what i'd suggest is only doing it for 12weeks max... still keep doing some weights training, predominately upper body AND ham-string work...

Take home point

-program is fine.. most people that get injured on it because they're idiots and try do it straight out.
 04-01-2007, 01:01 AM         #204
D3KA1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i dont normally go with anyone when i lift so i usually squat on a verticle track type of squat rack... i can do 220x5 quite easily. would this still be good enough even though its a "machine" squat (its still real weights its just on a track)

if i were to do this program, i would still do hamstring workouts like you suggested

i think im going to try it, 6+ more inches of verticle is worth it

plus im sure this will help with speed/overall condition as well
 11 years ago '04        #205
thechanickal1 
space
space
space
$704 | Props total: 136 136
I'm looking for a good book on weightlifting. Any recommendations? I've been lifting for about 9 years now, so I wanted something a little more complex then men's health. Any ideas, thanks!
 11 years ago '06        #206
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Get yourself

Mel Siff - Supertraining

Not bedtime reading though.....
 11 years ago '04        #207
goke11429 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,252 | Props total: 12 12
figured you'd be the perfect one to ask....could you please reccomend me some books from amazon.com on bruce lee's training techniqes,and workouts....btw..could u please PM me your aol screename..just in case i need anything
 11 years ago '06        #208
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Hey man... I personally wouldn't recommend any Bruce lee training books... you'd be better off getting something like the book mentioned above, or just really dependent what your training towards..
 11 years ago '04        #209
goke11429 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,252 | Props total: 12 12
more for f!ghting,and self defense...
 11 years ago '06        #210
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
^^
Ok.. Firstly, obviously, you should be doing a martial art, secondly If you're after conditioning workouts, I'd suggest finding Frank Shamrocks conditioning video online (I know some torrent sites have it)... IN addition to that Your gym training Should be for the following reasons

1.) Injury Prevention
2.) Develop General Strength

Take home message is that gym based training should be more towards injury prevention as oppose to trying to be 'functional' for a sport
 04-11-2007, 03:38 AM         #211
SpittinGame 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hello there. I was curious about the supplement Ripped Fuel. Is it a solid fat burning pill to try out? I bought it and am on my second day of taking it. I am 6'3, 195 lbs. Work out daily. Running mileage and lifitng. Do I need to change my eating habits with this pill and also, when is the best time to take the pill? Thanks for any help you can provide me with!
 11 years ago '06        #212
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,833 | Props total: 1175 1175
Ok another question for the mad scientist. I wasnt very happy with the results i received from GVT. I feel i could have gained more in a 2 month period. So now im experimenting with something similar to what you say a lot which is:

week 1: 50% of 1 rm
week 2: 60%.....
week 3 70.....

and etc. Well ive known this one site whose been advertising a routine they call Hypertrophy specific training. In other words how it difers from yours is:

week 1-2 use 15 rep range: day one start at 40% and the last workout of the two week block you should reach your absolute 15rm on each exercise.

Week 2-4: repeat but use a 10 rep range:

week 4-6: repeat using 5 rep range.

So as you can see youve been dedicating a whole week to a certain percentage of weight whereas the later dedicated to a rep range. How do you feel about the HST version.

More info on HST located here:

11 years ago '06        #213
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Hit Em' Up said:
Ok another question for the mad scientist. I wasnt very happy with the results i received from GVT. I feel i could have gained more in a 2 month period. So now im experimenting with something similar to what you say a lot which is:

week 1: 50% of 1 rm
week 2: 60%.....
week 3 70.....

and etc. Well ive known this one site whose been advertising a routine they call Hypertrophy specific training. In other words how it difers from yours is:

week 1-2 use 15 rep range: day one start at 40% and the last workout of the two week block you should reach your absolute 15rm on each exercise.

Week 2-4: repeat but use a 10 rep range:

week 4-6: repeat using 5 rep range.

So as you can see youve been dedicating a whole week to a certain percentage of weight whereas the later dedicated to a rep range. How do you feel about the HST version.

More info on HST located here:

hey man,

either of those routines are fine however i'd say for the reps based one, start higher than 40% of your 1RM.. With my one start at 60% 1RM as oppose to 50%... Something new I'm toying with is the idea of max reps @ given percentages

I.e.

Bench Press Max Reps @ 60%, 75%, 90% 1RM..

Also I'm a fan of training to failure with those routines... otherwise how else are you going to activate those high threshold fibers and/or get maximal muscle recruitment

Last edited by kosterzoo; 04-21-2007 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: sentencings error
 11 years ago '06        #214
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
 kosterzoo said:
hey man,

either of those routines are fine however i'd say for the reps based one, start higher than 40% of your 1RM.. With my one start at 60% 1RM as oppose to 50%... Something new I'm toying with is the idea of max reps @ given percentages

I.e.

Bench Press Max Reps @ 60%, 75%, 90% 1RM..

Also I'm a fan of training to failure with those routines... otherwise how else are you going to activate those high threshold fibers and/or get maximal muscle recruitment
Ok thanks. I just want to clarify a few things about your version.

1) So your saying on the first week (60%) every exercise is done til failure every workout and not limited to lets say 10 or 15 reps if you get in 20 reps? I am thinking of just giving it a go your way so if i have any questions you can help me out plus its just less complex your way.

2) What would you recommend that the frequency and volume be. Concerning volume of course i will be utilizing mainly compound lifts and maybe a couple iso's for lagging areas.

4) What happens when u finish the 90% cycle? Do you start again from 60%?

3) Any other specifics you think would help guide me?

Once again i appreciate the help a lot.

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 04-21-2007 at 07:34 PM..
 11 years ago '05        #215
cri$$ 
space
space
$148 | Props total: 0 0
Ok my questions is I am boxer in training. I wantto get my stamina up so how many miles should i run a day? right now i run 3 i want to throw my combinations when i am sparring without losing gas. I do so after 3 rounds right now. When i run 4 days straight My knees hurt a lot after and it discourages me to run as much any good supplements to keep the joints loose. thanks cri$$
 11 years ago '06        #216
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Hit Em' Up said:

1) So your saying on the first week (60%) every exercise is done til failure every workout and not limited to lets say 10 or 15 reps if you get in 20 reps? I am thinking of just giving it a go your way so if i have any questions you can help me out plus its just less complex your way.

2) What would you recommend that the frequency and volume be. Concerning volume of course i will be utilizing mainly compound lifts and maybe a couple iso's for lagging areas.

Hey man.. sorry I wrote wrong.. ideally use the %ages as guidelines.. and you should be Failing in the LAST couple of sets.. i.e. accumulative fatigue.. if your using that method of hypertrophy then rest intervals should be around 60seconds

so if you're doing your 60% and can get out more than 15 reps first time round don't.. by the time you get to the 5th set you should be 'feeling' it

Ideally you should be doing up to 25 SETS per muscle group for reps of either around 6-15..

I'd like to write more but gotta shoot sorry man... i'll try add more when i get back
 11 years ago '06        #217
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
 kosterzoo said:
Hey man.. sorry I wrote wrong.. ideally use the %ages as guidelines.. and you should be Failing in the LAST couple of sets.. i.e. accumulative fatigue.. if your using that method of hypertrophy then rest intervals should be around 60seconds

so if you're doing your 60% and can get out more than 15 reps first time round don't.. by the time you get to the 5th set you should be 'feeling' it

Ideally you should be doing up to 25 SETS per muscle group for reps of either around 6-15..

I'd like to write more but gotta shoot sorry man... i'll try add more when i get back
No rush here take your time...the answers are cutting it real good for me so far. I have enough info to create a routine based on these factors and like said if there anything more u want to add in then im all for it.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 04-21-2007 at 11:21 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #218
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
 cri$$ said:
Ok my questions is I am boxer in training. I wantto get my stamina up so how many miles should i run a day? right now i run 3 i want to throw my combinations when i am sparring without losing gas. I do so after 3 rounds right now. When i run 4 days straight My knees hurt a lot after and it discourages me to run as much any good supplements to keep the joints loose. thanks cri$$
Since kosterzoo is busy ill help you out with one of his quotes from an earlier post...

Kosterzoo said:
I'll give away 2x of my 'rounds' for you guys to try :P ..consider this a preview of the 'conditioning' portion of my book!

So say someone is preparing for a MMA tournament which is 3x3mins rounds with 1mins rest between:

A1. Deadlift @ 65% of 1RM X Max Reps
A2. Box Jumps (jumping onto the box variation, box should be around 14inches plus high) 15reps

Repeat this for a 'round' of 3mins so alternate between both of them, i.e. do the deadlifts till you fail, then peform the box jumps, back to the deadlifts etc..

B1. Squat Jump Pullups w/Pushup (Jump up to pullup bar do a pullup, drop to push up) 8-12 Reps, can be done with weights vest.

B2. Forearm Rotations 12-20reps

Again repeat for 20rounds

Forearm rotations is a exercise done by Kosei Inoue who was reigning Judo world champ. While it sounds simple/easy its anything but:

Pick 2x D/B's that are around the weight you'd use for side raises.

Hold the D/B's in front you you at Head height. Keep body tight and abs braced (i.e. maintain good posture) simply rotate between pronation and supination with your hands as fast as possible.

After doing this you'd have your minutes rest and go onto a 3rd 'round' of exercises.

Then rest 2-3mins and either repeat the circuit or do a different circuit (i've got about 4 of them at the moment which are working quiet well)
 11 years ago '06        #219
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 cri$$ said:
Hey man, I'd employ sprinting/body weight drills into a circuit fashion DEPENDING on what level of boxing your doing.. For example if your amateur boxer then you're only required to have power endurance for 3x 3mins rounds..

What I'd also incorporate is a mix of power and muscular endurance work..

For example,60seconds continuous bag work, focusing on combinations and technique Follow this up with work on speed/power hard/fast work on the bag for 10seconds, drop to the floor, up, sprint 10metres, drop to the floor, up, bag for 10seconds say for 3rounds (round about 3mins). repeat this whole thing twice, then if possible perform 2 x 200-250metre runs with 10seconds rest between, or 1x 600m run.. In both cases focus on RUNNING not jogging. Minimise ground contact time propel yourself forward as fast as possible.

Other than this.. do some extended round work on the bag such as:

Exercise Duration Rest Sets
A1 Light Bag Work (Light Combinations) 5mins 2mins X
B1 Intense Work (Hard Combinations) 30secs 60secs 4
C1 Consistent Hitting 60secs 30secs Y

(X) Week 1+2: 2sets
Week 3+4: 3sets
Week 5 : 2sets
Week6 : 1sets

(Y) Week 1+2: 2sets
Week 3+4: 3sets
Week 5 : 3sets
Week6 : 4sets

Excuse the formatting of this as i've copied it from one of my excel workouts
 11 years ago '06        #220
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Aight I can answer your questions now

Hit Em' Up said:

i think we covered this with my last reply so yeah ideally failing in the last few sets however initial load might feel 'light'

Hit Em' Up said:
I'd do a combo of Compounds and Iso's and I'll give away one of my theories here for lagging body parts:

Lagging body parts should be supersetted with Squats and Deadlifts OR done immediately following/same workout.

These two are among the highest growth hormone releasing exercises so my theory is by performing these/inducing a growth hormone release. The following work done in the session will benefit from this.. I've only just started to do this stuff and have had pretty good results with it.

So for example if biceps are lacking

A1: Hack Squats 5 x 5 rest 60seconds
A2: Cummiford Curls 6-8 x 5 rest 90seconds

B1: Leg Press (thats right legs press :P) 15 x 4
B2: Bicep 1 1/2 Curls 8-12 x 4

OR

Extended Set
A: Fronts Squats 5RM, rest 15secs MAX, rest 15secs MAX x 3sets rest 90seconds between sets

Origin/Insertion Superset
B1: Reverse Grip Pullups MAX x 4 no rest
B2: Single Arm Barbell Curls 8 + 4 eccentrics x 4 rest 90seconds

Hit Em' Up said:
Yeah, you re-test your 1RM's and then you should have a new 60% mark.. A nice way to do it is to perform Poliquins upper body structural balance testing.. then you get your percentage lifts alot easier

Hit Em' Up said:

In terms of maximising your results.. figure out if your a 'sets' guy or an 'exercise guy'

what i mean by this is do you respond best to high sets small number of exercises OR do you go better off Smaller number of sets and a variety of exercises..

Myself, for hypertrophy, I find i'm better at doing no more than 4sets per exercise and doing about 2-3 different exercises per body part Vs some guys respond best of 5-7sets but only 2x exercise
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
81 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
72 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
27 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
82 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
32 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
141 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy