Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

12 years ago '07        #226
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
$2,686 | Props total: 858 858
hi, i am new but i read about 10 pages of this thread, and i apologize if these questions have already been answered....

1. First thing in the morning, i run for about 30 minutes....should i be eating before or after? usually i eat a protein bar or a shake before, then eat after.....Also, what is the latest time of day that i should be eating before i go to sleep?

2. What is your stance on the Bowflex machine.....i bought one for dirt cheap, and i am trying to build muscle while cutting fat right now......Will it work at all? (I've been using it about a week now for 3 times a week)

3. I read that I should be taking at least .5g of whey protein for ebery pound that i weigh in order to build muscle and cut the fat.....is this true?

12 years ago '06        #227
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
$821 | Props total: 3 3
 makaveli_420 said
hi, i am new but i read about 10 pages of this thread, and i apologize if these questions have already been answered....

1. First thing in the morning, i run for about 30 minutes....should i be eating before or after? usually i eat a protein bar or a shake before, then eat after.....Also, what is the latest time of day that i should be eating before i go to sleep?
Hey man, ok you should be eating something before and after as you state there, prior to training ya protein sources would be best and post training if your trying to lose weight protein and possibly glutamine is good but protein is a good start.

makaveli_420 said
2. What is your stance on the Bowflex machine.....i bought one for dirt cheap, and i am trying to build muscle while cutting fat right now......Will it work at all? (I've been using it about a week now for 3 times a week)
Despite the hate i'll get for saying this, bowflex is fine.. It offers increments in resistance and a variety of movements... Just make sure you alter the movements you do on it every week and use the following rep schemes in your week.

Workout 1: 5-8
Workout 2: 8-12
Workout 3: 12-15

makaveli_420 said
3. I read that I should be taking at least .5g of whey protein for ebery pound that i weigh in order to build muscle and cut the fat.....is this true?
ah i mean its near enough to... its actually a range which is about 0.8-1.6g's per Kg of bodyweight.. can be up to 2.2kgs also.. just depends on training experience etc.. i'd say for you though 1.2g's per kgs of bodyweight would be plenty (sorry i work in kgs)

12 years ago '07        #228
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
okay great, thanks for the info.....1 more question, should i be changing the weight for each different week i work the Bowflex.....ex.....pyramid technique where i would increase the weight each week?

12 years ago '06        #229
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
yeah you should always be trying to increase but just use those rep ranges i mentioned above

12 years ago '07        #230
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
okay, great, thanks again. i have one more question but i didnt find anything in the Nutrition forum.....I weigh about 190 and am 6'3.....if i want to cut fat and gain muscle weight......now, should i be eating more or less calories per day?

12 years ago '06        #231
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Without going into too much detail

Eat Predominately protein in your diet and use that to get above your 'calorie expenditure' ... post training have your carbs

12 years ago '07        #232
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
awesome, but should i be consuming more or less calories? i'm just wondering cuz i dont wanna be eating too much which would defeat the purpose of trying to cut the fat weight...

05-15-2007, 01:55 AM         #233
flex001 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lets say u is bench pressing 10 times in a set.. 5 times.. every other day..plus the same with cruel bar.. how long will it take to buff ur chest and arms up?

12 years ago '04        #234
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,350 | Props total: 465 465
 flex001 said
lets say u is bench pressing 10 times in a set.. 5 times.. every other day..plus the same with cruel bar.. how long will it take to buff ur chest and arms up?
working your chest every other day is not a smart thing to do...thats just not allowing enough recovery time

plus it depends on if you got a good diet and if you're sleeping right. no one can really tell you how big your chest and arms will get.

12 years ago '06        #235
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
^^
Agreed.

You can't just work one part of your body.. you can 'focus' on certain areas but don't just train that part of your body..

Also just so you all know I'm in Japan for the month so My updates may be a little less frequent

12 years ago '05        #236
Rubix 
space
space
$8,939 | Props total: 2018 2018
okay, i recently started working full time graveyard shifts now that school is out and im finding it extremely difficult to make time for the gym (during my waking hours on my work days i take care of my daughter and spend time with the girl) and i basically have only 2 back to back days out of the week to hit the gym. right now im bulking, and im trying to re-construct my routine to currently meet my needs, so i was wondering if doing a push-pull split on those two days would be the best way for me to reach my goals. also, would it be better to just hit the gym right after i get off of work (6 am) rather than wait for my off days? my body usually feels like shutting down around that time..should i just hit the gym anyway? if i do that, i'd be able to hit the gym at least 3 times a week...

12 years ago '04        #237
the_hype05 
space
space
space
$1,742 | Props total: 0 0
kosterzoo,
if i do my weights and then about an hour or two later i do 2 other exercises (that werent at the gym), does that negatively effect me in any way?

preciate it..

12 years ago '06        #238
m!ck3y 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,394 | Props total: 916 916
Oh great Kasterzoo...

Im 6'0 155 lbs and I have a belly that I want to loose...is it possible to loose the belly and bulk up at the same time..

I eat 3-4-5 times a day and I cut out all junk food..no soda...i eat chicken rice..subway (6 grm fat menu) and things like that I also drink alot of water..yet i still have a belly but I do 100 situps a night..any advice?

12 years ago '06        #239
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Rubix said
okay, i recently started working full time graveyard shifts now that school is out and im finding it extremely difficult to make time for the gym (during my waking hours on my work days i take care of my daughter and spend time with the girl) and i basically have only 2 back to back days out of the week to hit the gym. right now im bulking, and im trying to re-construct my routine to currently meet my needs, so i was wondering if doing a push-pull split on those two days would be the best way for me to reach my goals. also, would it be better to just hit the gym right after i get off of work (6 am) rather than wait for my off days? my body usually feels like shutting down around that time..should i just hit the gym anyway? if i do that, i'd be able to hit the gym at least 3 times a week...
Hey man, sounds like you're quiet full on but with planning i know you can manage it.

Try this method 3x days a week, after you finish work i.e. 6am hit the gym and do one major exercise, i.e. Squats day one, bench day two, deadlifts day three.. Perform 5 sets of 8-12 reps with 90seconds rest, then perform a second exercise i.e. lunges, pulldown, shoulder press at 4sets of 12-15 with only 30secs rest.. Workout over, get home rest etc..

Then on your free days have a more structured gym workout and just make sure you're sleeping very well and that your nutrition is on point

12 years ago '06        #240
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 the_hype05 said
kosterzoo,
if i do my weights and then about an hour or two later i do 2 other exercises (that werent at the gym), does that negatively effect me in any way?

preciate it..
not really but can you elaborate as to what they are and why you do them>>

12 years ago '06        #241
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 m!ck3y said
Oh great Kasterzoo...

Im 6'0 155 lbs and I have a belly that I want to loose...is it possible to loose the belly and bulk up at the same time..

I eat 3-4-5 times a day and I cut out all junk food..no soda...i eat chicken rice..subway (6 grm fat menu) and things like that I also drink alot of water..yet i still have a belly but I do 100 situps a night..any advice?
lose the situps, cut out your carbs, i.e. get salads at subway instead of subs, lose the rice. And get heaps of sleep in the evenings and i'm presuming you're gyming it?? if so what is your routine?

12 years ago '06        #242
m!ck3y 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,394 | Props total: 916 916
 kosterzoo said
lose the situps, cut out your carbs, i.e. get salads at subway instead of subs, lose the rice. And get heaps of sleep in the evenings and i'm presuming you're gyming it?? if so what is your routine?
Yea i go to the gym and we vary things like bench and bicepts..triecepts..shoulders..abs..legs etc..and I play ball about 4 days of the week...

12 years ago '06        #243
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
Aite well get yourself sorted on a proper routine which you do regularly like 3x a week... other than that it's all nutritional and sleep/hormonally related

05-25-2007, 12:50 AM         #244
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Whats up Kosterzoo. You in Japan for Judo? Tournament? Training?

05-25-2007, 09:59 AM         #245
ChrisDizzl 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ok, first thanks a lot for doing this, good help is hard to find hah :)

Anyways, its summer now and I'm home from school (and all the fast food and trees haha) and I'm really trying to flatten out my stomach. I'm 5'11'' I weigh 195 and I have a fairly athletic build, with a flat tire hah. I am starting to run again and my real goal is to become a runner, like 4 miles 4 or 5 times a week. I have no desire to bulk up and I really want the figure of a runner. So my questions are...

1) Is there some kind of supplement I should be taking? Not like a miracle weight loss thing or anything just something that will help my body out in recovering from work outs etc.?

2) Can you school me on diet soda? I am cutting out all the real Cokes but I have cravings (I swear I'm addicted to this stuff). Are diet sodas still detrimental even though the can says 0 calories?

3) I'm not really doing anything for strength other than push ups, should I get into some type of lifting routine? Like I said I am not trying to gain any mass, but I wouldn't be opposed to like low intensity high reps (kind of like, cardio lifting if you will).

4) Finally, I've heard a lot about cutting carbs (also saw it recommended by you in this thread). My dad did full on atkins but he quit after a while because he was feeling sluggish all the time. Is a no carb diet the best route to go or will I be ok just eating in moderation and cutting out overly fatty foods?

Again, thanks a ton man!

05-28-2007, 02:13 AM         #246
RKO 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
right in the center/middle, of my lower back i have this sharp pain which i only feel in certain positions like when im bending over...i cannot do deadlifts cause of this.. what are strecthes or whatever i can do?

12 years ago '06        #247
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
$5,416 | Props total: 292 292
hey wassup kosterzoo

im 6'2 150(yea i kno....)

today was my second day working out...

1st day- 3x 8 bench press
3 x 5 incline press
3 x 8 dumbell press
did the ab workout with medicine ball(laying on a incline going back and forth with ball)
3 x 8 pull downs
2x 6 dips...

2nd day.. 3 x 8 leg press(machine where u push up with legs)
3 x 8 shoulder shrugs
3x 8 calf workout(machine)
3 x 8 deadlifts..
5 mins on step machine

how am in doing? goal is to gain weight i could PM the food i eat cuz it might be long..but i do eat enough protein to match my body weight everyday and get lots of sleep

11 years ago '06        #248
Hit Em' Up 62 heat pts62
space
space
space
$5,542 | Props total: 3106 3106
dam this thread is finally dead....wheres kosterzoo and the rest of these people at,,,

11 years ago '07        #249
dipset121 39 heat pts39
space
space
$2,277 | Props total: 33 33
Hey man I need your help I'm 5'8 130lbs. According to my doctor I am the minimum weight for my height I am trying to get to at least 145-150lbs. So yea you know I'm skinny its no secret. I been getting the same advise eat more and eat a high calorie intake. I was also told to get into some type of work routine with at least 2-3 days of cardio. As well as take some Whey Protein supplements and even a weight gainer at one point. Well I am lost in the entire situation but I am ready to start and be commited to a routine. I mainly workout at home as well but I want to get myself bigger overall and stay cut. I want to get my arms, chest, shoulders and calfs bigger. Can you help me out with how to do this? what kind of supplement is best for me to take? Work out routine etc.

09-23-2007, 11:32 AM         #250
BAyAREA 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dipset121 said
Hey man I need your help I'm 5'8 130lbs. According to my doctor I am the minimum weight for my height I am trying to get to at least 145-150lbs. So yea you know I'm skinny its no secret. I been getting the same advise eat more and eat a high calorie intake. I was also told to get into some type of work routine with at least 2-3 days of cardio. As well as take some Whey Protein supplements and even a weight gainer at one point. Well I am lost in the entire situation but I am ready to start and be commited to a routine. I mainly workout at home as well but I want to get myself bigger overall and stay cut. I want to get my arms, chest, shoulders and calfs bigger. Can you help me out with how to do this? what kind of supplement is best for me to take? Work out routine etc.
your going to have to except the fact that you will gain fat even with the cleanest of diets on a bulk and thats it.Join a real gym make sure you incorporate the king compound lifts deads squats pullups etc.. get a fbw maybe even a personal trainer if you can to get to know what your doing in the gym a more when your done with your bulk you can post back for a help with cutting...since i dont the BMR for 130 im just gunna say you should take in about 2800calories minimum on most bulks.
and remember no cardio it will inhibit gains and if you must make sure its HIIT

good luck

Home      

most viewed right now
online now  37
So Young Thug a mason mason
189 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  35
Image(s) inside AY Y wud I post ya sister ?! (when I could just post her fam & friends..
103 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+63online now  33
Video inside This is the reason JayZ dropped his surprise album on Nas' release week..
101 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+31online now  26
Video inside Chris Hansen still catching dudes
42 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  20
Dec 15 - "saddam hussein" was allegedly found in a spider hole bunker 15 years..
158 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
-19online now  19
Video inside She feeling you and wants to...
92 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
-22online now  12
Dec 15 - 10 year old boy in drag danced for money at a NY gay bar. MSM Silent!..
130 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+53online now  12
Image(s) inside Winnie Harlow breaks the internet
102 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy