Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
 125
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
163 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 94
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
31 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 80
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 70
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
99 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM         #181
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 clipse_designz said:
owkay am only young and small but will...

doing pull-ups daily and drinkin lots of milk plus protein will get me bigger and stronger?
That's impossible to answer dude. Are you ONLY doing pullups? ONLY drinking milk and whey? Do you go to a gym? Eat Food?

I'll give you a couple quick tips:
1. Do compound lifts, I don't know how young you are but if you are somewhat grown do compounds lifts: squats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, chins, dips, overhead presses, bench presses, unilateral leg exercises.
2. Find out your Metabolic rate and take in about 500 excess calories. Eat clean food.
 11 years ago '07        #182
clipse_designz 
space
avatar space
space
$2,747 | Props total: 66 66
^^ thanks man in from tomorrow amma eat tonnes!!!
also i do push-ups etc. dips.

do you think i should to like 1 day pull-ups 2 day dips, third day push
then day of then same.. so i have a week routine?
 11 years ago '04        #183
$tr3tch 
space
avatar space
space
$4,260 | Props total: 0 0
alright got a couple more q's about the gvt and one just about my shoulder. For the past 6 months or so, ive had alot of discomfort and cramping in my left shoulder. Im not too sure what muscle it is but i think its the deltoid just because of where in my shoulder im gettin these pains. It all started when i was just starting to do tricep extensions, which was something I hadn't done before. Id find the muscle would start cramping in the middle of my sets whether it was set 1 or 10 or whatever, it'd happen every time. Since then i've always had that problem in my left shoulder regardless of what exercise im doing, as long as it involves my shoulders in the slightest. Any suggestions or would seeing a professional (doctor) be my best bet?

On to the gvt questions:
1. In regards to my day 1 workout (posted on the previous page), I really feel as though im hitting my shoulders much more than my chest and i am not feeling much in my back at all. I know form is the most important thing, but I'm pretty sure im as close to perfect as possible form-wise. Tempo is something i stray away from as i fatigue however. Anyway the question is should i implement different exercises to target my chest and back more than i seem to be getting right now or stick it out n make sure that form is on point?
2. Is there a specific time i should be doing the auxillery sets? I typically start off with a1, a2, b1, b2 and repeat for the first three sets, then drop the b's so those 3 sets are out of the way. Should they be spread out more or left for the end or anything?
 03-13-2007, 01:34 AM         #184
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 clipse_designz said:
^^ thanks man in from tomorrow amma eat tonnes!!!
also i do push-ups etc. dips.

do you think i should to like 1 day pull-ups 2 day dips, third day push
then day of then same.. so i have a week routine?
Are you in a gym or just have a dip/pullup station to work with? I don't really understand what you type very well... If you are in a gym, you should be doing other exercises obviously. Remember, do NOT neglect legs.
 03-13-2007, 11:05 AM         #185
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 $tr3tch said:
On to the gvt questions:
1. In regards to my day 1 workout (posted on the previous page), I really feel as though im hitting my shoulders much more than my chest and i am not feeling much in my back at all. I know form is the most important thing, but I'm pretty sure im as close to perfect as possible form-wise. Tempo is something i stray away from as i fatigue however. Anyway the question is should i implement different exercises to target my chest and back more than i seem to be getting right now or stick it out n make sure that form is on point?
Yea, benching with this kind of volume does knock the sh*t outta your shoulders... Pull your shoulder back (scapulae in) to take them more out of the movement... Do NOT push your shoulders forwards at the top of the lift...

The tempo prescription is, in my experience, the real money portion of the program... If you want results, you'll have to stick with it... This requires that you push through some pretty serious fatigue on the last couple of sets... The program is hard and boring as hell, but it tends to work if you push through...

You doing Chins or Rows for your back exercise...?

 $tr3tch said:
2. Is there a specific time i should be doing the auxillery sets? I typically start off with a1, a2, b1, b2 and repeat for the first three sets, then drop the b's so those 3 sets are out of the way. Should they be spread out more or left for the end or anything?
Do ALL your As first, then rest a couple minutes and do the Bs...

As for your shoulder injury, I prefer not to comment... If it's structural, see a doctor... If it's a muscular strain or inflammation, let it heal... If you're unsure, see a doctor...
 11 years ago '04        #186
$tr3tch 
space
avatar space
space
$4,260 | Props total: 0 0
alright cool that'll help my workout a ton. I just tried out the shoulder suggestion in the dumbbell press n i can already feel way more in my chest. I figured you'd say that about the tempo, but hearing it from someone else should make me stick to it. As for the chins and rows, the rows seem to be the only thing really gettin my back. On the chins im doing palms facing me, would it work better on my back specifically if i did it another way? I have no idea what grips work what when it comes to chin ups. Another thing, my form on the chinups gets really shakey and for some reason my fingers keep tiring out and losing grip around the 6th and 7th sets till the end. Is that just the fatigue factor or should I get on those chin-up/dip machines to do my chinups with a little bit of weight to help me get back up? Im gonna take your advice and get at a doctor for the shoulder. Thanks alot for all the help!
 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM         #187
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 $tr3tch said:
alright cool that'll help my workout a ton. I just tried out the shoulder suggestion in the dumbbell press n i can already feel way more in my chest. I figured you'd say that about the tempo, but hearing it from someone else should make me stick to it. As for the chins and rows, the rows seem to be the only thing really gettin my back. On the chins im doing palms facing me, would it work better on my back specifically if i did it another way? I have no idea what grips work what when it comes to chin ups. Another thing, my form on the chinups gets really shakey and for some reason my fingers keep tiring out and losing grip around the 6th and 7th sets till the end. Is that just the fatigue factor or should I get on those chin-up/dip machines to do my chinups with a little bit of weight to help me get back up? Im gonna take your advice and get at a doctor for the shoulder. Thanks alot for all the help!
Chins work mainly the back and the forearms and biceps secondary. Pullups put more stress on the Lats. The wider the grip you take on pullups the more stress it puts on the outter lats and helps with putting on width. Focus on bringing your elbows down to the sides and NOT just lifting yourself up. If you do this you should be able to feel it in your back more. You probably have weak grip strength which is why you can't hold on to the bar. I'd suggest some auxilliary grip work such as plate pinches, static BB holds.
 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM         #188
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yea... Thumb strength isn't really that important for static grip strength, so BB holds will be your best bet to improve forearm endurance... Static gripper holds (if you have them) works too... That said, I wouldn't lower the load on Pull-ups as your grip starts failing... You're only as strong as your weakest link, so when you fail you fail, regardless of which muscle gives out first...

As with Rows, you should pull your scapulae back at the top of the movement when doing Chins or Pull-Ups... Chins are easier and let you move more weight as they involve the biceps in a greater degree than Pull-ups... I won't say that they're less effective in building your back tho...

As for wide grip promoting width, I won't comment...
 03-20-2007, 05:49 AM         #189
Dacosta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I got a question,what are the best exercise fror working forearms,my biceps are there and triceps but my forearms are out of proportion
 11 years ago '04        #190
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
$1,136 | Props total: 2 2
 Dacosta said:
I got a question,what are the best exercise fror working forearms,my biceps are there and triceps but my forearms are out of proportion
do you use lifting straps or gloves? if you do...stop.

do you do any heavy deadlifts, chins, or other pulls? if not......start.


that should get you started. if you do those already. some farmers walks would be a good place after that.
 11 years ago '04        #191
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
$1,136 | Props total: 2 2
 Dacosta said:
I got a question,what are the best exercise fror working forearms,my biceps are there and triceps but my forearms are out of proportion
do you use lifting straps or gloves? if you do...stop.

do you do any heavy deadlifts, chins, or other pulls? if not......start.


that should get you started. if you do those already, some farmers walks would be a good place to go after that.
 03-20-2007, 11:55 AM         #192
Dacosta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WHAT_THE_ said:
do you use lifting straps or gloves? if you do...stop.

do you do any heavy deadlifts, chins, or other pulls? if not......start.


that should get you started. if you do those already, some farmers walks would be a good place to go after that.
Erm I use gloves,as i grip too tightly without erm,but ill try to go without

I do chins,dips,rows but not deadlifts,ill start doing those

Erm I dont know what farmers walks are
 11 years ago '06        #193
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
I'm more of a fan of direct forearm work.. The above will get your grip Strong but it won't get size on it In my opinion


I'm working on a new workout theory which I'll be testing on myself / others shortly BUT in the mean time I'd suggest doing the following exercises

Reverse Curls
Zottman Curls
Preacher Reverse Curls
Then you can finish with forearm windups if you have access to the equipment required for them

In conjunction to the Isometric gripping work that has been suggested above,

also if you can use a thick dumbell handle in doing your exercises that'll also help abit
 03-20-2007, 01:45 PM         #194
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I love working forearms... It coincides wonderfully with my love for grip strength training... My favourite exercises are as follows...

- Static bar holds... This is IMO the money exercise for big forearms... Load the bar up wit your DL Max, perform a Rack Pull and just squeeze the sh*t outta that bar, hanging on for as long as you can... 3-5 sets... I like doing them after my deads, simply because of the practicality of it, but they can be done whenever, preferably at the end of a workout...

- Grippers... The CoC grippers are the simplest way to go about this... You can do straight heavy sets (3-8 reps), high-rep sets with short rests (8-15, reps, 30-60 second breaks) or timed sets, where you just hold the gripper closed for as long as possible (when you get upwards of 60 seconds, increase the resistance)...

- Wrist Rollers... I've made my own, and it takes about 1$ and 45 seconds... Beat a nail through a round, even stick (broom handle etc), attach a rope to the nail and tie a weight plate to the rope... Then, using your wrists, roll the weight up to the bar... Don't just drop it back down tho, stay in control and roll it... You can perform these for # of reps, but I like doing them for time...

- Hammer and Reverse Curls... The exercises I've described so far tend to emphasize the wrist flexors (inside / underside of the forearms)... You want to hit the Brachioradialis as well (top of the forearm, originated near the bicep) as it adds some real size to the forearm... Hammer Curls (DB, neutral grip) and Reverse Curls (BB, supinated grip) are perfect for this... As a bonus, they both also work the Brachialis, which adds some thickness to the upper arm...

- Band Extensions... You must throw some extensor specific work into the routine to avoid injuries... Placing a rubber band around the tips of your fingers and opening your hand is perfect...

- Tearing... Just tear sh*t up... The goal should be a phonebook, but you can start with junk mail or newspapers or whatever... Just let your junk mail bunch up for a couple days and then tear it apart, double it, tear it again, etc etc... It'll knock the stuffing outta your forerams, AND, tearing up phonebooks gets you all the bi*ches (it's true)...
 03-22-2007, 11:38 AM         #195
IceCreamMan17 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
is weightgainer gold 2200 not good to take cuz ive been taking it and it works decent
 03-23-2007, 02:43 AM         #196
seindiamond 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 IceCreamMan17 said:
is weightgainer gold 2200 not good to take cuz ive been taking it and it works decent
If it's working for you then why would you stop? The thing I don't like about weight gainers is that they usually add alot of cheap ingredients as carbohydrates. I think most of them have fat in them too, which you don't need post workout. However, if you're really really skinny and have a fast metabolism, I say go for it.
 11 years ago '06        #197
kosterzoo  OP
space
avatar space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Some take home thoughts

Nothing is good nor bad... Things are just better/safer for some individuals.. For example some people complain of shoulder pain in doing full range dips, does it make them a bad exercise?? no.

Some people have great results of creatine, others get nothing... Should i buy it??? Well the answer there is obviously one of trial and error.

Point I'm getting at is people online, Particularly the slowly declining t-nation (gasp) are so dogmatic that they wont to say "oh back squats suck yadda yadda" ... There is very few exercises that should NEVER be done, people often use these such excuses because A) Its hard to do an exercise OR B) they're not strong at an exercise.

I like the waterbury approach with that regard...

Write down everything you've done in the last 6weeks/months and your now not allowed to do those exercises for 8weeks...

Sure your program wont have your 'favourite' exercises but it'll get you alot more results...

Thats why I always say to people.. .do you wanna get big or just look strong in the gym..?
 11 years ago '04        #198
$tr3tch 
space
avatar space
space
$4,260 | Props total: 0 0
alright i got a couple more q's involving german volume training
1. With the grip strengthening u mentioned for the chinups, could i add that in as an additional auxillery exercise on say my arms and shoulder day after everything else is done?
2. in regards to my a1's and 2's as well as my b1's and 2's, i know i should be doing a first for the full 10 sets then start the auxillery, but should i be doing 10 a1's then 10 a2's or a1 then a2 x10?
3. The workout plan i have has me in the gym day 1, 2 and 4 with rest days at 3 and 5. Would it be alright for me to switch my day 2 (legs and abs) to day 3 from time to time as well as my day 4 (arms and shoulders) to day 5? Secondly, would it be a bad idea to engage in some cardio on my off days? The only reason im asking is because of how intensely fatiguing this program is, i dont wanna overwork and lose out on my overall results.

Thanks for all the tips thus far, I've just gone through week 3 and the results have been great!
 03-25-2007, 05:29 PM         #199
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 $tr3tch said:
1. With the grip strengthening u mentioned for the chinups, could i add that in as an additional auxillery exercise on say my arms and shoulder day after everything else is done?
That sounds good...

 $tr3tch said:
2. in regards to my a1's and 2's as well as my b1's and 2's, i know i should be doing a first for the full 10 sets then start the auxillery, but should i be doing 10 a1's then 10 a2's or a1 then a2 x10?
A1, Rest, A2, Rest, A1, Rest, A2, Rest, etc...

 $tr3tch said:
3. The workout plan i have has me in the gym day 1, 2 and 4 with rest days at 3 and 5. Would it be alright for me to switch my day 2 (legs and abs) to day 3 from time to time as well as my day 4 (arms and shoulders) to day 5?
Just make sure you get the 6 workouts per bodypart in over 4 weeks... It's a 5-day split, not a 7-day split, so workouts will fall on different weekdays each week...

If that's unclear, the first two weeks should look like this...

Day 1 - Workout 1
Day 2 - Workout 2
Day 4 - Workout 3
Day 6 - Workout 1
Day 7 - Workout 2
Day 9 - Workout 3
Day 11 - Workout 1
Day 12 - Workout 2
Day 14 - Workout 3

 $tr3tch said:
Secondly, would it be a bad idea to engage in some cardio on my off days? The only reason im asking is because of how intensely fatiguing this program is, i dont wanna overwork and lose out on my overall results.
No HIIT or sprint work... You can take 15-minute jogs when your legs feel up to it, but nothing heavier than that...
 11 years ago '04        #200
$tr3tch 
space
avatar space
space
$4,260 | Props total: 0 0
alright cool, basketball season just ended today so i dont hafta worry about cardio much, i just gotta get into that 5 day cycle...ive been taking weekends off out of half ignorance and half laziness. Thanks for the help.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 35
Image(s) inside dannielledai
9 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 30
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 27
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 14
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
69 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
 10
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 9
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
63 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
 8
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact and familie..
100 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
 7
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
8 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy