Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}

most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
78 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith has a supreme shooting sleeve
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
122 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #1
16587 pageviews
257 comments

kosterzoo 
space
space
$820 | Props total: 2 2
Ask For Advice {all other help threads will be deleted}

Alright most people know the drill

Ask me anything attaining to training and I'll answer it for you

I don't write up complete workouts or trainings though (thats what people pay me to do :) )

reason for ressurecting this is because of some "pretender" giving out flex type workout advice and can't even answer simple programming questions..

So without further a-do sound off

Last edited by kosterzoo; 03-20-2007 at 11:39 AM..
ChickzNKickz gave props

257 comments for "Ask A Sports Scientist {all other help threads will be deleted}"

01-10-2007, 04:12 PM         #2
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I will gladly chime in with completely contradictory information and thus create havoc and mistrust...

Nah, I'll try to get some discussion going where possible/advisable, so it's not all Q&A format...
 11 years ago '06        #3
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
yeah cool man. always appreciate the input.
 11 years ago '05        #4
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
Well I'm 285 6'1 and I'm trying to go down to 200-210. I'm pretty healthy for a big guy. Because I exercise 1-4 times a week, take vitamins and try to eat at least 4 meals a day. I need help on refining my exercises and diet.
Here are the basics:
I work 8-5 everyday and have school 2 days a week at night. So besides the weekend the only time I can go to my gym is after 5.
I want to know how much cardio I should be doing. What cardio should I do and for how long?
How much should I be lifting weights and for how long?
I also want to know what are some foods I should avoid? When should I eat certain things? What should I look to eat in the morning? What should I eat Pre & Post Workout?
 01-10-2007, 04:24 PM         #5
AceMurda 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ok.. What would be the quickest method to get from my current weight 150lbs.. to my desired weight.. 185lbs..
 11 years ago '06        #6
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Santoro said:
Well I'm 285 6'1 and I'm trying to go down to 200-210. I'm pretty healthy for a big guy. Because I exercise 1-4 times a week, take vitamins and try to eat at least 4 meals a day. I need help on refining my exercises and diet.
Here are the basics:
I work 8-5 everyday and have school 2 days a week at night. So besides the weekend the only time I can go to my gym is after 5.
I want to know how much cardio I should be doing. What cardio should I do and for how long?
I also want to know what are some foods I should avoid? When should I eat certain things? What should I look to eat in the morning? What should I eat Pre & Post Workout?
 Santoro said:
Here are the basics:
Aite man start here:

If you are SERIOUS about losing weight and I mean absolutely serious then for the next 14days here are you eating guidelines you can only eat it if its one of the following:

Fly's in the air
Runs in a field
Swims in the water
Its Green

Very basic, your exceptions are you can have protein powders providing the carbs are less that 5g's, you can have SOME fruits if you are starting to feel tired or sluggish and lastly, although not recommended, you can have stimulants such as caffeine to help you for energy. Green tea being the best choice.

Other supplements I'd suggest include Fish Oil (current 'wonder drug'), L-Carnitine 2g's post training or glutamine.

Ok so thats nutrition taken care of "in a nut shell"

post training you can have 0.6grams of protein per kg of bodyweight. So for you thats around 70g's which would be the equivalent of two good protein shakes.

Weights training is the far superior method to lose weight so that should be done 2-3times a week, for cardio i'd suggest 20mins of interval work or H.I.I.T so this would be jog/sprint work on the road (jog 2 lamp posts, sprint 1) or hill sprints etc..

so a good split for you would be something like this

Mon-Weds-Fri Gym
Weekends - Interval work, either/both days

remember interval work can be something such as playing basketball..

Hope this helps
 11 years ago '06        #7
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 AceMurda said:
Ok.. What would be the quickest method to get from my current weight 150lbs.. to my desired weight.. 185lbs..
Alright, depending on what you current routine and how long you've been doing it for will influence what i'd suggest...

To start with though you need to make sure you workout includes 'the big lifts' or compound movements...

For starters squats should be a staple of your workout..

As i say though without knowing your current workout what i'd suggest on that front would vary.

Nutritionally.. for nutrient delivery so straight after training I'd suggest 200g's of carbs (High GI) AND 0.6g's of protein per kg of bodyweight.. further more good protein prior to training.. around 30g's, BCAA straight after trainin and about an hour after your post workout drink i'd have another protein drink with moderate carbs..

Hope this helps... remember if you want real gains in size nutrition is just as important and often underlooked
 01-10-2007, 05:10 PM         #8
Timedatombomb 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hey IWAs just wondering if you could help me out...

I am 5'10 and 175 lbs. I have a average built. If every place on my body gained muscle aroudn at the same pace
I would look and be very fit. I st need to lose
a little belly fat to make the bottom 2 stick out.. there under there ejust a lil fa tsi covering it..

now I am thinking I was eating so unhealthy because i was on my own.
now I am back home and I eat steak chicken and healthy sh*t every night.. I never ate
more healthier..

Now I weigh about 175 and I want to reach 200 solid.

Now i have some knowledge about nutrition and weight lifting I took some classes..

Correct me if Iam wrong but this is my routine..

EAt healthy calories but eat alot Iam trying to consume 3000 a day.
a lot of protein for rebuilding my muscle. (Chicken, steak, tuna, milk)
and just eating healthy overall..

basically my work out for every muscle is MAX weight LOW reps.. I do about 6-8 reps of everythign i work out..

I am trying to get in the bulking process...

Question is how does this sound and i am the type that has a little high metabolism.. Not too bad though..
Is this routine right and am i going to end up putin on fat instead of muscle?

thanks
adam
 11 years ago '06        #9
Da Realness 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,417 | Props total: 4 4
damn you a fu*kin genius with this sh*t lol but anyway im hearin that pushups dont do nothin for you and im hearin it does. I wanna start doin some pushups and get my chest game up...tired of this flat chest lol. I dont wanna do pushups and get no results so im askin IF pushups really work..what kind of routine should i follow for the best results?
 11 years ago '06        #10
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Timedatombomb said:
Hey IWAs just wondering if you could help me out...

I am 5'10 and 175 lbs. I have a average built. If every place on my body gained muscle aroudn at the same pace
I would look and be very fit. I st need to lose
a little belly fat to make the bottom 2 stick out.. there under there ejust a lil fa tsi covering it..

now I am thinking I was eating so unhealthy because i was on my own.
now I am back home and I eat steak chicken and healthy sh*t every night.. I never ate
more healthier..

Now I weigh about 175 and I want to reach 200 solid.

Now i have some knowledge about nutrition and weight lifting I took some classes..

Correct me if Iam wrong but this is my routine..

EAt healthy calories but eat alot Iam trying to consume 3000 a day.
a lot of protein for rebuilding my muscle. (Chicken, steak, tuna, milk)
and just eating healthy overall..

basically my work out for every muscle is MAX weight LOW reps.. I do about 6-8 reps of everythign i work out..

I am trying to get in the bulking process...

Question is how does this sound and i am the type that has a little high metabolism.. Not too bad though..
Is this routine right and am i going to end up putin on fat instead of muscle?

thanks
adam
Hey man.. fundamentally seems fine.. with regards to the weights just make sure you're only sticking on such a routine for 4-6weeks then change either the exercises OR the rep/set scheme..

also check the previous reply i gave with regards to the topic
 11 years ago '06        #11
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Da Realness said:
damn you a fu*kin genius with this sh*t lol but anyway im hearin that pushups dont do nothin for you and im hearin it does. I wanna start doin some pushups and get my chest game up...tired of this flat chest lol. I dont wanna do pushups and get no results so im askin IF pushups really work..what kind of routine should i follow for the best results?
Hey man thanks for the praise.

Ok firstly push ups are a favourite of the 'body weight disciples' and I'm a fan of them also BUT here's a few pointers on doing them..

Firstly. the loading has to be correct... so for example people say "oh i do X amount of pushups a night etc.. etc.. without any variation in loading, progression OR actually changing the style of pushups all together.. So if your going to do them make sure you cycle the style of push up AND your loading on them..

so for example the first 2-3weeks (doing them 2-3x a week) maybe 3sets of 12reps at a 5-2-X tempo (5seconds down, hold for 2, explode up).. from there you'd progress to say elevated foot pushups with a fast tempo.. Then back to say cat/hindu pushups with either tempos...

The key i'm getting at it varience...

Secondly...and most importantly is that *controversy here!* I don't believe that Push ups alone would be optimal beyond 6weeks of training ...sure i agree results can be gained from it (providing the workout is hard enough etc.. and nutrition is right) BUT it would be the equivalent of going to the gym and only performing bench press.

So yeah the goal is the chest but you also need to work the legs and back..

Just remember ya basic movement patterns are Squat, Lunge, Bend, Twist, Push and Pull... if you just do pushups all your doing is the pull movement...

So my suggestion would be incorporating some form of pull movement, ideally pullups and if possible supine pullups.. Some squatting and lunging.. Also if your training at home I'd suggest some form of movement resembling a deadlift..

Hope this has helped
 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM         #12
Timedatombomb 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
thanks
 01-10-2007, 06:08 PM         #13
AceMurda 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Alright, depending on what you current routine and how long you've been doing it for will influence what i'd suggest...

To start with though you need to make sure you workout includes 'the big lifts' or compound movements...

For starters squats should be a staple of your workout..

As i say though without knowing your current workout what i'd suggest on that front would vary.

Nutritionally.. for nutrient delivery so straight after training I'd suggest 200g's of carbs (High GI) AND 0.6g's of protein per kg of bodyweight.. further more good protein prior to training.. around 30g's, BCAA straight after trainin and about an hour after your post workout drink i'd have another protein drink with moderate carbs..

Hope this helps... remember if you want real gains in size nutrition is just as important and often underlooked
Ok, as far as my workout for the last 3 months I've just been doing 3 muscle groups a day.. giving 3 days at least for the muscles I've worked on time to rest.. however each muscle group only got one excercise workout for example if tuesday I decided to work out on my chest.. I would do decline bench press and just be done with the chest and move on to another muscle group.. usually the triceps..

I'm thinking though that I should do more than one excercise per muscle group.. maybe dedicate the whole day to that muscle group.. would you recommend this?

And I want to know if what I just asked applies to the squats as well..

EDIT: Also Im noticing my muscles are getting used to the conditioning and arent sore for as long.. so would it be smart to give them only 2 days of rest or even less?

Last edited by AceMurda; 01-10-2007 at 06:09 PM..
 01-10-2007, 06:12 PM         #14
Timedatombomb 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kosterzoo said:
Hey man.. fundamentally seems fine.. with regards to the weights just make sure you're only sticking on such a routine for 4-6weeks then change either the exercises OR the rep/set scheme..

also check the previous reply i gave with regards to the topic
I know it is hard to give a time frame, but how long do you thin it could be before I like sart seeing really good results.. When working this hard and eating healthy etc...?? what can i expect monthly?
 11 years ago '04        #15
King P 
space
space
$419 | Props total: 3 3
How do I become and stay fit from tha crib, what excercises should i perform and how often??
 01-10-2007, 06:46 PM         #16
NickthaQuick1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
aye koster, i know you pretty much run this entire bx gym so this is directed toward you. i been working out since early aug. 2006 and seein some good results in my chest/arms but i cant find a solid workout for my shoulders and back.. right now i do some lat pulldowns, some rowing, military presses and not sure what they called but you take the db's in each hand and bring them up from the side, then rotate them to in front of you, then bring them back down...

ahh....got any other excersizes i can be doing to improve my back and shoulders???

OH! and i also do shoulder shrugs too
 11 years ago '05        #17
htownrepa713 
space
space
$165 | Props total: 0 0
I'm 6'3 225, with a muscular physique. My only problem is I can't get my stomach completely flat. I guess my body stores its intake in my stomach, but what do you suggest to help me flatten it out. I already perform weight training 4-5 times a week and do some sort of cardio at least 3 times a week.
 11 years ago '06        #18
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 Timedatombomb said:
I know it is hard to give a time frame, but how long do you thin it could be before I like sart seeing really good results.. When working this hard and eating healthy etc...?? what can i expect monthly?
Hey man...

Working hard etc.. I'd expect for you to see some results within the month
 11 years ago '06        #19
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 King P said:
How do I become and stay fit from tha crib, what excercises should i perform and how often??
Hey man.. all depends what equipment you've got available...

Without going into a complete exercise prescription you could adhere to some sort of routine that i mentioned in this thread with regards to pushups
 11 years ago '06        #20
kosterzoo  OP
space
space
 NickthaQuick1 said:
aye koster, i know you pretty much run this entire bx gym so this is directed toward you. i been working out since early aug. 2006 and seein some good results in my chest/arms but i cant find a solid workout for my shoulders and back.. right now i do some lat pulldowns, some rowing, military presses and not sure what they called but you take the db's in each hand and bring them up from the side, then rotate them to in front of you, then bring them back down...

ahh....got any other excersizes i can be doing to improve my back and shoulders???

OH! and i also do shoulder shrugs too
Hey man... 1stly just make sure your changing your exercise routine every 6weeks.. so switch between d/b's and barbells etc...

anyways onto your question.. For your Upper Back I'd suggest exercises such as the different pullup variations, d/b rows and seated row with a rope to the neck and also upper chest..

Daddy's home is a fan on the deadlift for back development so also include that in there and depending on your splits it should be your first exercise you do on a given day.

Shoulders should revolve around pressing movements, you may want to try a behind the neck press (which is fine providing you've got good shoulders). Or a bradford press, which is one press in front one behind.

My current shoulder routine is this

Push/Press: 4 x 6
Semi-Supinated Braced Shoulder Press: 5 x 5 each side
Plate Front Raise: 10-10-10 x 2 (drop set that is)
Prone Flyes Or Face Pulls: 4 x 12

The Additional Shoulder work can include Plate front raises (use full range of motion hold plate, arms straight lift it right about head) and probably you'd benefit from prone flyes also. Any form of side raising etc.. is also good..

Probably of good benefit would be to try changing your rep range.. if your on 10 reps at the mo drop down to reps of 4-6 for a while... conversely if your on 4-6's try 8-12's..
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
21 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
60 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
25 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
201 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
86 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
48 comments
1 day ago
@tech
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy