Jan 1 - Oprah: African Girls Deserve My Charity More than American Girls...

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
35 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
54 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

what should she do

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #41
ojsimpson 
space
space
$188 | Props total: 7 7
ya'll ain't even reading the article. She didn't want to help inner city kids (mostly black & latino btw) because they have no desire to learn. She is spending money in Africa because they truley value there education and know the power of what it can do. Thats just real talk, I don't blame her. Most americans are so quick to want to take full advantage of thier rights and then don't want to do what it takes to maintain those rights. Education is power. Respect knowledge
 01-01-2007, 06:57 PM         #42
missangel222003  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
But it also goes back to that old saying 'you never miss the water until the well runs dry'. Our youth (here I go sounding old...) don't appreciate it like say our ancestors because they haven't had to sneak around just to learn to read... or go to a 'coloreds only' school receiving an education from someone with a sixth grade education themselves. You can't really appreciate it until you've either lived through it or learned about it for themselves. But that still doesn't take away from our youth not being completly hopeless. Oprah is a smart woman. She knows that it's our environments that feed us the idea of not appreciating education. They have a higher appreciation for education out there. That's probably because their circumstances are a lot different than ours... Anybody can see that.
 11 years ago '04        #43
Drunk By Myself 
space
space
space
$1,811 | Props total: 0 0
your enviroment have little to do with the desire to learn... when i went to school, i wanted to learn the sh*t i had to. i wanted to go to college.

and if you want to talk about environment preventing your desire to learn...makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE for this argument... you cannot compare the environment here to that in south africa and it still doesnt prevent those children from wanting to learn
 11 years ago '04        #44
TBX 31 heat pts31
space
space
$2,936 | Props total: 609 609
But middle-aged, well-off white women deserve more than both.
 11 years ago '05        #45
CalcuoCuchicheo 
space
space
$6,478 | Props total: 3 3
 (619)309-6449 said:
notice it's south africa...

...yeah, one of the more stable African countries which makes it a good choice for such investment.

Oh wait, you were trying to slight the choice right?
 11 years ago '04        #46
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,924 | Props total: 4284 4284
Oprah needs to take her sh*t and move to africa permanently
 11 years ago '04        #47
cormega74 16 heat pts16
space
space
$3,733 | Props total: 2548 2548
 C.R.I.P. said:
Oprah needs to take her sh*t and move to africa permanently
You ever been to Africa?
 11 years ago '04        #48
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 cormega74 said:
You ever been to Africa?

what does that have to do with her moving to africa
 01-01-2007, 08:00 PM         #49
BangEmSmurf  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
african exchange students try a lot harder then the african american students... "tru story yall"
 01-01-2007, 08:05 PM         #50
Billy_Blanko  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Winfrey has also supplied millions of dollars to educate needy children in the U.S. through the Oprah Winfrey Scholars program.
reading is fundamental
 11 years ago '06        #51
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,366 | Props total: 4638 4638
What sucks is that Oprah has given up on all inner city youth, which happens to be blacks and latinos, etc. She doesnt want to tackle the problem, and I could understand because the sh*t is deeper then fixing up our schools. Until Black people in America change the way we think of ourselves we're gonna continue to be generations upon generations of stunted growth minorities. We must understand that this is not natural for us and that we need to do better, because we definately can.

its a very complex issue that basically stems from a much larger problem which i think we all know or are familiar with.

Its very interesting. I feel black Americans are the most unique group out of the African diaspora because we have so much counter-productive values and perspectives built in our every day lives. We are fully integrated in American culture and at the same time we're not. Whites and Asians and other ethnic groups can manouever between the two unscathed; our black ghetto, whatever being "black" means to you society and still be a part of the larger mainstream society. We are just bounded to ours. We cant break that barrier.

It seems everywhere else blacks in the world share the same values on education as the society in which we live, except in America. But then it also seems you'll find the most successful blacks in America. Its crazy to me. My theory? We're lost. I can elaborate on that if you feel me.

So i do feel its a black and white thing cause I feel we (along with latinos) are being directly targeted. Its a good deed wherever it goes and dude who brought up how many people one person could help was an EXCELLENT point. Maybe if we looked at all of us being one people we wouldnt feel sligheted but rather happy that our people are getting that much more help. If we're a little dissapointed, then we should step our game up.

11 years ago '04        #52
cormega74 16 heat pts16
space
space
$3,733 | Props total: 2548 2548
 C.R.I.P. said:
what does that have to do with her moving to africa
It sounds like you are not happy with Oprah is doing for kids less well off. Believe me kids in America dont have it that bad, they live in the world's richest country. If they wanna learn they are free to learn. People take books and pens for granted. Its sad that some black people in the states have no sense of being African, in fact some have a hatred for Africa as if its nothing.
 11 years ago '04        #53
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 cormega74 said:
It sounds like you are not happy with Oprah is doing for kids less well off. Believe me kids in America dont have it that bad, they live in the world's richest country. If they wanna learn they are free to learn. People take books and pens for granted. Its sad that some black people in the states have no sense of being African, in fact some have a hatred for Africa as if its nothing.
actually im not mad at all about this situation, matter of fact i believe she is right...i just dont like oprah dont ask me why, i just dont. something about her just bothers me. maybe its the way people hang on to her words like they come down from the heavens above.

i dont know.

but as far as the whole black people in the states have no sense of being african thing.

what do you expect there alot less blacks in america that are from africa than there are USA born and raised
 01-01-2007, 08:21 PM         #54
Tavito  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JeeQ said:
Come on now, like Americans really need a school as bad as Africans. In America it's all to easy to find free public education. I work for the school district and we have illegals coming in and getting enrolled in school with no problems, so theres really no reason that kids in the ghetto can't find a school. But the real problem is the kids in America don't appreciate it. Free schooling is expected in America, it's not something we've ever had to work or strive for, and because of that a lot of them don't appreciate the fact that they're getting a free education. Like she said, they rather have material things, like an Ipod or a pair of Nikes. I feel that the only way people would truly realize how great it is to live in a country where education is public and free is if it suddenly was taken away, then maybe people would start looking at school as a gift and not a chore you have to suffer through for years.
Preach!
 11 years ago '05        #55
druggie 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,429 | Props total: 4209 4209
Africa is fu*ked up.

They need to flush out and totally re vamp the goverenment there becuase there are way to many crooked ppl there.
 11 years ago '06        #56
RaulG 
space
space
space
$1,320 | Props total: 311 311
Im Latino (Salvadorain) and my parents risked their lives to come here, They tell me that even though we live paycheck to paycheck and were always moving place to place.
That we still got it good. People in my country die just to try to come over here cause alot of people got it bad over there.
Are "ghettos" are some of the nicest places in the world to be called a ghetto
 01-01-2007, 09:31 PM         #57
A_Vv  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
she built such a huge school u think she could have helped more than 152 girls
 11 years ago '04        #58
Thepeoplerunnin 
space
space
space
$4,208 | Props total: 0 0
Ask her to open her home to some South Africans, im sure she would????

Also let the people say at ABC we gonna put your show out in S.A for free, instead of a 500 million dollar contract to be shown in China or some place and see if she doesnt change her tone.....

I never liked that bi*ch................
 01-01-2007, 09:55 PM         #59
Tha_Watcher_8-|  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
oprah is on some other sh*t
 11 years ago '04        #60
H.N.I.C. 
space
space
space
$2,946 | Props total: 211 211
 missangel222003 said:
Oprah is entitled to do with her money as she pleases, but if it were me (with all of that money) I don't see why she couldn't help both sides. The comment she made about inner-city youths having superficial values compared to African girls is unfair. Look at the world we live in. It's very materialistic. Since your environment shapes you as a person, she shouldn't be surprised to hear something along those lines being the first thing they wanted from her. I don't really see how she can be mad. Look at her annual Christmas show. She always gives away the latest gadgets and things... how can she talk? Plus as minorities, a lot of our standards are low because that's what's spoon-fed to us. You don't come up being fed the idea of you having the potential to one day run the country. It's mostly about obedience and survival. It's a whole new day from when she was growing up...
im sayin tho this comes from tha same lady that bought everyone in the audience a car.....yea Afrcans are in need of the money but i was always taught get your house in order before u go trying to dip in someone elses buisness...i think thats a big problem with americans thinking we can save the world when our own sh*t is fu*ked up
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
89 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy