Jan 1 - Oprah: African Girls Deserve My Charity More than American Girls...

most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
43 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
97 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
111 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
30 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

what should she do

Props Slaps
 01-01-2007, 03:20 PM         #1
6589 pageviews
127 comments

Dr. X 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jan 1 - Oprah: African Girls Deserve My Charity More than American Girls...

Oprah Winfrey is firing back at critics of her decision to build a $40 million school complex in South Africa - saying she didn't build it in the U.S. because inner-city kids here don't appreciate the value of a free education.
"I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," the TV talk-show maven says in the current issue of Newsweek.

"If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

The tough talk comes as the famously philanthropic Winfrey unveils her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa - a sprawling, 28-building complex for impoverished teens that features a yoga studio and beauty salon, among other luxuries.

The 22-acre complex has taken more than five years to build and has raised eyebrows in the U.S. and abroad, she said.

"I understand that many ...feel that I'm going overboard, and that's fine," Winfrey said. "This is what I want to do. I wanted to take girls with that 'it' quality and give them an opportunity to make a difference in the world."

Winfrey handpicked the 152 girls who will attend out of an application pool of more than 3,500. Winfrey has also supplied millions of dollars to educate needy children in the U.S. through the Oprah Winfrey Scholars program.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.nydailynews.co .. p-408116c.html

127 comments for "Jan 1 - Oprah: African Girls Deserve My Charity More than American Girls..."

11 years ago '04        #2
2meo 
space
space
$3,001 | Props total: 0 0
 Ex The God said:
Lol...Is she trying to say white people dont deserve her money...when if it wasnt for white people she wouldnt have that money...i mean..thats just what im getting from the thread title

01-01-2007, 03:33 PM         #3
r a n c i d  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
She's right... Africans are more in need.

Don't get me wrong, the US aswell as all countrys has a big problem too. But in my opinion, people residing in Africa are more needy
 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM         #4
Thursday  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wow lets see....africa is doomed no matter what, i aint racist but real talk here

africa is rich in natural resorces and everyone country knows that and wants a piece of it.
and oprah is a bi*ch, help the people in our ghettos first, help the bronx help the durty south n help oakland

that country is in need of serious need, helping 10 girls isnt goin to do sh*t
 11 years ago '06        #5
SixFigures3 
space
space
space
$46 | Props total: 0 0
 Thursday said:
wow lets see....africa is doomed no matter what, i aint racist but real talk here

africa is rich in natural resorces and everyone country knows that and wants a piece of it.
and oprah is a bi*ch, help the people in our ghettos first, help the bronx help the durty south n help oakland

^^^^^^^ true
 01-01-2007, 03:43 PM         #6
Lake85  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
she's right.
 01-01-2007, 03:54 PM         #7
flossaphy  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
doesn't south africa have a good population of white people?
 01-01-2007, 03:57 PM         #8
r a n c i d  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 flossaphy said:
doesn't south africa have a good population of white people?
America has a good population of white people, it doesn't magically stop poverty when whites reside in a country
 01-01-2007, 03:59 PM         #9
missangel222003  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Oprah is entitled to do with her money as she pleases, but if it were me (with all of that money) I don't see why she couldn't help both sides. The comment she made about inner-city youths having superficial values compared to African girls is unfair. Look at the world we live in. It's very materialistic. Since your environment shapes you as a person, she shouldn't be surprised to hear something along those lines being the first thing they wanted from her. I don't really see how she can be mad. Look at her annual Christmas show. She always gives away the latest gadgets and things... how can she talk? Plus as minorities, a lot of our standards are low because that's what's spoon-fed to us. You don't come up being fed the idea of you having the potential to one day run the country. It's mostly about obedience and survival. It's a whole new day from when she was growing up...
 01-01-2007, 04:00 PM         #10
flossaphy  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
doesn't south africa have a good population of white people? wealthy people? why don't her dumb a.ss build a school in them more poor african countries.

So many people turn their backs on american kids thats why they never change, she said she got fustrated when she visited inner city schools and never went back. In which america will continue to be more and more fu*ked up.
 11 years ago '05        #11
chrsdstryr 
space
space
space
$487 | Props total: 0 0
most kids in the ghetto, dont wanna go to school or value a free education, So i agree with her. All they want is money and to hang out on the corner, no disrepect, but we have to be real about this. I usually do not agree with oprah, but she is right!
 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM         #12
missangel222003  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JeeQ said:
Come on now, like Americans really need a school as bad as Africans. In America it's all to easy to find free public education. I work for the school district and we have illegals coming in and getting enrolled in school with no problems, so theres really no reason that kids in the ghetto can't find a school. But the real problem is the kids in America don't appreciate it. Free schooling is expected in America, it's not something we've ever had to work or strive for, and because of that a lot of them don't appreciate the fact that they're getting a free education. Like she said, they rather have material things, like an Ipod or a pair of Nikes. I feel that the only way people would truly realize how great it is to live in a country where education is public and free is if it suddenly was taken away, then maybe people would start looking at school as a gift and not a chore you have to suffer through for years.
I see where you're coming from, but remember - quality over quantity. Inner-city schools don't offer a quality education. Funding and all of this other political bullcrap has displaced the good intentions. Expectations are lower for inner-city youth... It's ridiculous. We may have more opportunities, but at the end of the day if you came from an inner-city school, chances are when you hit college (if you opt to go there...) you will find that you're ill-prepared. It's an unfair situation. Almost like a setup.
 11 years ago '04        #13
Randeezle 
space
space
$2,350 | Props total: 838 838
Thats a tough one, props to ol' girl for at least taking a stand on something.

There is definately a problem with the inner-city system of education.
On one hand I believe alot of kids have their priorities out of order, but on the other I believe if kids had a school with the resources to make Education more interactive and interesting, that coupled with a movement to put their heads back into school could solve alot of issues.

Kids these days are too focused on getting money, I love hiphop but alot of n*ggas in the game probably dont realize their fu*kin with their own people's priorities (wether they want to deny it or not it's true). MTV is probably the worst thing to happen to young people as a whole.

But yeah, going back to what Jay said when he was in Africa, n*ggas in the "hood" have it easy compared to Africans. Its 2007 for Christ's sake and OUR people over there dont even have running/clean water to drink??? Thats a problem, as rich as Africa is with natural resources the only hope for them is to reclaim control of at least the sale of materials that are making other companies rediculously wealthy.

They're being exploited, straight up and down... it's a damn shame, especially knowing that I have at least ONE person over there related to me by blood.

Africa could be a paradise, but what is it now? Chaotic, very poor, exploited, unstable.

fu*k Egypt btw, they sold out to Israel and the US.
 01-01-2007, 04:11 PM         #14
missangel222003  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 chrsdstryr said:
most kids in the ghetto, dont wanna go to school or value a free education, So i agree with her. All they want is money and to hang out on the corner, no disrepect, but we have to be real about this. I usually do not agree with oprah, but she is right!
So what are you saying - let the animals wipe out themselves? What if the entire government took that same attitude? People are overlooking the fact that our environments shape us. Does that make us hopeless? No. Besides, children don't know what's best for themselves. How can you go to an inner-city school and pose a question like 'if you could have anything right now, what would it be' and expect them to say 'a quality education'. Be for real... (That last part's not directed at you. I'm just speaking in general).

Last edited by missangel222003; 01-01-2007 at 04:13 PM..
 11 years ago '04        #15
Randeezle 
space
space
$2,350 | Props total: 838 838
 flossaphy said:
doesn't south africa have a good population of white people? wealthy people? why don't her dumb a.ss build a school in them more poor african countries.
Probably due to extreme corruption in smaller villages, militants and such.

I wouldnt spend 40million on sh*t that couldnt be secured.
It would make more sense to build it there and supply the means to get those students to the schools.
 11 years ago '06        #16
mig_ee 
space
space
$37 | Props total: 0 0
I feel she can do what she wants with her money too. Who are we to judge that she wants to help someone? At least shes helping. Theres a lot wrong with the world youth and politics and money. I feel shes doin the right thing. She tried with the inner youth and felt it was a waist of her money and time. I dont blame her if every one helped someone US would be the bomb but oh well. Lets show love to everyone and Oprah. Not a black or white thing.
 11 years ago '04        #17
Floeji 
space
space
$5,529 | Props total: 68 68
 Thursday said:

Yeah but build a nice place in the hood. Hood n*ggaz will vandalize it, steal computers, and go back to doing hood sh*t. THey don't give a fu*k about formal education.

Those African kids....they don't care about Gucci this Gucci that..iPod's and cellphones...They WANT and education.

I totally agree with Oprah on this one and usually i don't agree with her actions...
 11 years ago '04        #18
DJNocturnal 
space
space
$486 | Props total: 0 0
Oprah should move her fat a.ss to africa.
 11 years ago '05        #19
Mrniceguy 
space
space
$3,851 | Props total: 25 25
 Thursday said:

^^ 100% truth.....see thats why i dislike oprah so much.
she came from the ghetto, she should be the first one trying to get them n*ggas out there fu*ked up households and into some kind of position to learn. Oprah doesn't want to WAR with The Public School System?
how do you get frustrated and just give up!! YOUR A BILLIONAIRE!
do like tiger woods did MAKE YOUR OWN SCHOOL!
 01-01-2007, 04:30 PM         #20
waterproofmc  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
See this is that bullsh*t I'm talking about... Oprah is from America, yet she turns her back on our children and sends her money elsewhere... That's real fu*ked up...

She says the kids in the inner-city schools don't care about education? WELL bi*ch THAZ THE fu*kIN PROBLEM... you have to get to the fu*kin root of the problem if you want to fix something... What makes kids want a IPOD instead of a education?

Could it be this materialistic country that we live in? You see a million fu*kin commericals everytime you watch the news, they won't even let you see a story about someone getting murdered or Iraq until you see messages from the sponsors... lol... Come on, lets be serious, open up a magazine, watch TV, kids in the ghetto in America see all this sh*t and they want it to, and since the US has channels where they focus on celebrities and what the fu*k they do, show their huge houses, all their jewelery, all their cars and money, sh*t its kinda hard to focus on getting an education when all this bullsh*t is thrown at you daily... Listen to rap, "I'm so Icy, I'm sitting on 50 inch rims"... this is the poison that fu*ks inner-city kids up...

I would know because I am a product of Detroit ghettos and Public Schools...

So if the bi*ch want to solve something, she needs conduct a Root Analysis instead of turning her back, fu*kin bi*ch, fu*k the bi*ch that birthed her...
Home      

most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
160 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
29 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now