Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
21 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NBA Charles Barkley "Lavar Ball isn't a good father."
100 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
95 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
35 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

What do you think of Obama?

Props Slaps
 12-22-2006, 04:05 AM         #1
6186 pageviews
125 comments

WorstNightmare 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Dec 22 - African-Americans are not really supportive of Barack Obama

US political darling Barack Obama has received enthusiastic support for a possible 2008 presidential bid — except from fellow African-Americans, a group many believed would be among his staunchest backers.

In contrast to the effusive reception Obama has received from white Americans, many US blacks so far have been cool, saying that while they may share skin color with Obama, they do not have a common culture or history.

“Obama did not — does not — share a heritage with the majority of black Americans, who are descendants of plantation slaves,” wrote African-American newspaper columnist Stanley Crouch last month in an article entitled “Barack Obama — Not Black Like Me.”

Radio host George Wilson, whose nationally-broadcast talk show tests the opinions of a cross-section of African-American listeners, said response to the Illinois senator so far has been “lukewarm.”

“He’s not getting as much of an enthusiastic send-off from black people as he is from whites,” Wilson said.

Obama draws enormous, mostly white crowds, even though the first presidential primary election is more than a year away, and is he seen as a top contender for the Democratic presidential nomination.

But Crouch said that the first-term US senator — the bi-racial progeny of a black Kenyan father and a white American mother — does not share with most American blacks the painful legacy of slavery, repressive Jim Crow laws, and civil rights struggles.

“While he has experienced some light versions of typical racial stereotypes, he cannot claim those problems as his own — nor has he lived the life of a black American,” Crouch wrote in his New York Daily News column.

“If we then end up with him as our first black president, he will have come into the White House through a side door — which might, at this point, be the only one that’s open.”

Political analyst Ron Walters said that Obama is a black whom many whites find reassuring, with his Harvard pedigree and law degree rounding out his half-European ancestry.

“If you take this in almost anthropological terms, there’s a sense in which whites are more comfortable with blacks who they believe reaffirm them,” Walters said.

He said other whites apparently view Obama not so much as a black trailblazer but as a multicultural figure, with his racially-mixed parentage and childhood spent in Hawaii and Indonesia.

African-Americans however, who are are accustomed to leaders who emerge from the civil rights movement, sometimes appear to struggle to relate to Obama.

“For some African-Americans, he has not really affirmed their identity. He has affirmed his own mixed identity, but he has not strongly affirmed the right and the claim of African-Americans in this society to equal treatment,” said Walters, a professor at the University of Maryland.

Others said Obama is simply an unknown figure to many African-Americans who are almost reflexively suspicious.

“There’s a feeling that if white folks like him so much he must not be good for us. For some blacks it’s a turn-off,” said Wilson.

If he does run, Obama would be the first African-American candidate for president who does not come out of the civil rights movement. US Representative Shirley Chisholm, of New York, was the first African-American to run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972.

Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson was a contender for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1984 and 1988.

A CNN poll last week found that 60 percent of Americans said they have no reservations about voting for a black president, although experts caution that polls are not always a reliable measure of racial bias. Some wonder whether whites who now are urging him to run will be as enthusiastic in the voting booth.

“There are individuals who say one thing publicly, but time and time again has shown that when … they’re in the privacy of the voting booth, they do something else,” said Wilson.

Despite the adulation he has received from Democrats around the country, some blacks said it will be nearly impossible for Obama to win the White House in 2008 without massive support from the African-American community.

“The American population is not ready — despite of what Barack says — to have a black man be the president of the United States,” Wilson said.

“When it’s all said and done, if he declares, then he will have to convince African-Americans to support him, and just his color alone is not going to be enough,” he said.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.nlaq.com/2006/ .. can-americans/

125 comments for "Dec 22 - African-Americans are not really supportive of Barack Obama"

11 years ago '05        #2
DaveDeeSeaTown 
space
space
$465 | Props total: 33 33
I think a lot of black people will be more curious about voting because of this. This will be the first time that anyone who looks anywhere close to us is running and actually has a slight chance of winning. If he doesnt win all black voters over, at least he will peak an interest in the vast blacks that do not vote....GOOD READ HOMIE...props.

Sidenote (mostly joking): People may be scared to vote for him because his name is Barack Obama...close to Osama...
 11 years ago '04        #3
Randeezle 
space
space
$2,350 | Props total: 837 837
If only Malcom were alive, he'd know what we needed to do.

Listen to the "Ballot or Bullet" speech by him, you can catch it on youtube. We can't really trust these lying a.ss politicians to have our backs... they still havent to this day so I mean as a black person who else would you support except Barack?

Last edited by Randeezle; 12-22-2006 at 06:30 AM..
 11 years ago '04        #4
Floeji 
space
space
$5,529 | Props total: 68 68
Not saying that I don't think he's a good candidate. I was just uneasy with people calling him "The Voice of the Black People".

His high-yellow, teacake, mulatto a.ss doesn't have what it takes to speak for every one. If you're gonna be a representative of the black people, I want you to be a black a.ss, scare white people to death a.ss n*gga. Not this, Pencey Prep, white bread, light skinned, country club, silver spoon a.ss n*gga.

But that's just me.
 11 years ago '04        #5
Hardkore 10 heat pts10
space
space
$18,902 | Props total: 1128 1128
i wish we didn't base so much sh*t on skin color...

...he's as black as it's gonna get right now, guys.

i guess we gotta have dikembe mutombo as our next president. n*gga is the epitome of negrodamus africano.
 11 years ago '04        #6
Tikyle2 4 heat pts
space
space
$4,767 | Props total: 1083 1083
Wow slavery started over 400 years ago and the effects of it are still resonating in our minds today. We were conditioned back then to seperate the yard and house zzzzzzs (basically the lighter and darker skinned slaves) and it is still a part of our psyches subconscious today. That's amazing and troubling at the same time.

**If we still carry this today from slavery and its still so strong in our minds imagine how long it's going to take whites who were conditioned to hate blacks from getting that out of their psyche?**

Just a little fruit for thought.
 11 years ago '06        #7
Dead Prezidents 
space
space
$2,030 | Props total: 6 6
 Floeji said:
Not saying that I don't think he's a good candidate. I was just uneasy with people calling him "The Voice of the Black People".

His high-yellow, teacake, mulatto a.ss doesn't have what it takes to speak for every one. If you're gonna be a representative of the black people, I want you to be a black a.ss, scare white people to death a.ss n*gga. Not this, Pencey Prep, white bread, light skinned, country club, silver spoon a.ss n*gga.

But that's just me.
Nobody is the voice of the black people. Not Martin, not Malcolm. No one person can speak for a whole race. And I love Martin and Malcolm, they indeed had very very powerful voices, they have speeches that will put you in tears, but neither of them were speaking for a whole race. A lot of blacks that were siding with Martin did not side with Malcolm, and the people that sided with Malcolm did not side with Martin.

As for this person who wrote the article questioning Barack Obama's blackness, he is a fu*king moron. Whether he is a prep, white bred, light skinned, country club, silver spoon a.ss n*gga as you say, he still has that skin color that makes other races discriminate. Just because he is an educated black man that is very close to a seat in the White House people want to start a backlash, and that's what most people talk about when they say blacks need to Unite, because once a black person sees another black person doing better than them they get to bashing their credibility and taking shots at him because of the green eye. Do you think just because he is educated and is well-spoken that he does not go through racism, I think not, racism in America has nothing to do with class, like in most hispanic countries, it has to do with skin color. So hate him or love him, but respect him as a black man that is doing something.
 12-22-2006, 08:08 AM         #8
Silver N Black  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaveDeeSeaTown said:
I think a lot of black people will be more curious about voting because of this. This will be the first time that anyone who looks anywhere close to us is running and actually has a slight chance of winning. If he doesnt win all black voters over, at least he will peak an interest in the vast blacks that do not vote....GOOD READ HOMIE...props.

Sidenote (mostly joking): People may be scared to vote for him because his name is Barack Obama...close to Osama...
-Obama appeals to everyone, he appeals to every community and thats how he got to his position....imo - he's the best we have right now, his character is exact or near Clinton's.

-His middle name is Hussein <------- :wow: , and someone already attempted to use this against him.
 11 years ago '06        #9
yumflip 4 heat pts
space
space
$9,616 | Props total: 2240 2240
Excerpt from the Willie Lynch Letter:

The Black slave after receiving this indoctrination shall carry on and will become self re-fueling and self-generating for hundreds of years, maybe thousands.

Don't forget you must pitch the old Black vs. the young Black male, and the young Black male against the old Black male. You must use the dark skin slave vs. the light skin slaves and the light skin slaves vs. the dark skin slaves. You must use the female vs. the male, and the male vs. the female. You must also have your White servants and overseers distrust all Blacks, but it is necessary that your slaves trust and depend on us. They must love, respect, and trust only us.

Gentlemen, these Kits are your Keys to control. Use them. Have your wives and children use them, never miss opportunity. If used intensely for one year, the slaves themselves will remain perpetually distrustful.

Fukkin COONS....wake up....this is why we can't get anywhere.
 12-22-2006, 08:10 AM         #10
Silver N Black  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Floeji said:

But that's just me.
 11 years ago '05        #11
DaveDeeSeaTown 
space
space
$465 | Props total: 33 33
This is the most intelligent thread on boxden i have ever seen...props to all!
 12-22-2006, 08:25 AM         #12
81stFlow  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
As a Black Canadian, this issue hasn't been a topic of discussion, but I'm glad to see a post like this on BX.. Honestly at this point i think the argument about "how" Black Obama is becomes irrelevant. ANY Black man who is running for such a coveted political position should be backed by the Black community.

But that's just me...
 11 years ago '05        #13
GaryIn'75 1 heat pts
space
space
$731 | Props total: 10 10
 Dead Prezidents said:
Nobody is the voice of the black people. Not Martin, not Malcolm. No one person can speak for a whole race. And I love Martin and Malcolm, they indeed had very very powerful voices, they have speeches that will put you in tears, but neither of them were speaking for a whole race. A lot of blacks that were siding with Martin did not side with Malcolm, and the people that sided with Malcolm did not side with Martin.

As for this person who wrote the article questioning Barack Obama's blackness, he is a fu*king moron. Whether he is a prep, white bred, light skinned, country club, silver spoon a.ss n*gga as you say, he still has that skin color that makes other races discriminate. Just because he is an educated black man that is very close to a seat in the White House people want to start a backlash, and that's what most people talk about when they say blacks need to Unite, because once a black person sees another black person doing better than them they get to bashing their credibility and taking shots at him because of the green eye. Do you think just because he is educated and is well-spoken that he does not go through racism, I think not, racism in America has nothing to do with class, like in most hispanic countries, it has to do with skin color. So hate him or love him, but respect him as a black man that is doing something.

This is the truth.....The thing about black americans is that we don't discriminate on each other skin tone but we do discriminate class. 90% of black on here don't like Oprah, Bill Cosby or any other black that has done anything with his life thats good or that speak out to our black youth to incorage them to do better with their lives. Jay Z is older and is changing his style to be more maketable and people hate that but 50cent can shoot somebody and yall love him
 12-22-2006, 08:38 AM         #14
!ALLMONEYENT!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WorstNightmare said:

U know what black history his filled with blacks hating on blacks and not supporting there people. too many n*ggas and i say n*ggas becasue that is what most of these journalist are acting are too caught up with or "heritage" and "history" fu*k that we have history and its dark history. So now when a black dude comes in and gets accepted we say....um he's not black enough for me so i dont know about him! wtf there's been noooo black president's in our history and i know these fu*ks voted before so which president was black enough for them?? i tell you man until we all come together and work together we wont go any where. sh*t makes no sense to me, who cares how he was raised and where he was raised thats what makes him who he is. until Obama says i dont fu*k with blacks and doesnt address our issues or prloblems then you can say what u feel but until then. shut the fu*k up!
 12-22-2006, 08:40 AM         #15
iamthatgurl  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 sunn4511 said:
thats the problem right there with all dumb n*ggaz. why do you feel obama is a much better candidate than dikembe mutombo? this is why people are skeptical to vote for obama in the first place.
Well to start with, he SHOULD be a better candidate b/c he is a highly educated individual which we supposedly desire in a president despite the crushing reality (Bush for example)... This has nothing to do with skincolor: how are u gonna compare a basketball player with a Harvard graduate who is already involved in politics. I think that was a foolish comparison.
 12-22-2006, 08:43 AM         #16
!ALLMONEYENT!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 GaryIn'75 said:
This is the truth.....The thing about black americans is that we don't discriminate on each other skin tone but we do discriminate class. 90% of black on here don't like Oprah, Bill Cosby or any other black that has done anything with his life thats good or that speak out to our black youth to incorage them to do better with their lives. Jay Z is older and is changing his style to be more maketable and people hate that but 50cent can shoot somebody and yall love him

But see our black leaders today lead a mixed message....Oprah and Bill are like the parents that you have that live by "do as I say and not as i do" Bill Cosby is not a man to follow, cheated on his wife kids out of wedlock drugs etc. he's done it all and his teachings to young black men by calling them worlthess does nothing. fu*k Im a man and dudes he's refrencing as dead beats are too, so you can call them n*ggas out till your blue in the face but that sh*t wont make them change. real recognizes real and Cosby is not in the for front like he says he is but he gets all the attention because he's bill cosby. But dudes should check out Jim Brown read up on him and what he has done and is trying to do for black men. The only thing he lacks is the financial means to do more for his people and he stated the athletes,singers,rappers and actors like bill and oprah do not give back as much as they should. Donating to a charity never reaches the people and thats a fact
 12-22-2006, 08:47 AM         #17
ghettoprincess  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Tikyle2 said:
Wow slavery started over 400 years ago and the effects of it are still resonating in our minds today. We were conditioned back then to seperate the yard and house zzzzzzs (basically the lighter and darker skinned slaves) and it is still a part of our psyches subconscious today. That's amazing and troubling at the same time.

**If we still carry this today from slavery and its still so strong in our minds imagine how long it's going to take whites who were conditioned to hate blacks from getting that out of their psyche?**

Just a little fruit for thought.
^^^^Exactly. You have to be tar black and aggressive/hostile to be a good president for African Americans? With that thinking, we'll never have one. Everyone is mixed with something. His just shows. So what, he's still black, as is Tiger Woods and Halle Berry.

So far Barak is the best candidate we've seen. Who else is gonna run for us? Al Sharpton? Jesse Jackson? Farrakhan? Hell no, they are all crooked as hell and can't control sh*t on the smalles level. I would definitely vote for Obama. I have watched him speak, and he is hella intelligent and real.
 12-22-2006, 08:53 AM         #18
Silver N Black  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ghettoprincess said:
I would definitely vote for Obama. I have watched him speak, and he is hella intelligent and real.
Yes Ma'am.
 11 years ago '05        #19
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,728 | Props total: 2215 2215
 Floeji said:

But that's just me.
True Story!
 12-22-2006, 09:06 AM         #20
Holla Back 617  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What difference does it make what color his skin is?? He could be black, white, yellow, red....it don't matter! It's about his political views, his platform, all that stuff. I bet half the black community don't even know his position on the important political issues yet. They just see this half-white African American, and think "f*ck him, he ain't black like me!" That's really ignorant. For all they know, Obama could have future goals for this country that could really appeal to the black community. Still, they don't wanna give him a chance cuz he's "not black enough." How dumb is that?
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
30 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
63 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
285 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
128 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
53 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
63 comments
20 hours ago