Dec 19th-Why Does Jeezy Get A Pass For Being Wack?? (don't shoot me)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
34 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
65 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #1
8005 pageviews
178 comments

tazbk 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,685 | Props total: 17 17
Dec 19th-Why Does Jeezy Get A Pass For Being Wack?? (don't shoot me)

Good article I found. Dude makes a lot of valid points. Good read if you go all the way through.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.hiphopdx.com/i .. for-being-wack

Since when did mediocrity become acceptable for emcees in hip-hop? I realize that the overall quality of music isnít what it was 15 or even 10 years ago, Iím not here to complain or debate about that. But has the game taken such a dip over the years that our standards have been lowered to the point that mediocrity is excused, accepted and even celebrated? Apparently.
Here is what Iím talking about. Whenever you criticize one of todayís ďhotĒ artists about their abilities youíre met with the same excuse every time. Criticize Game for his redundant droning on about lowriders, point out Young Jeezy is a terrible rapper blessed with great beats, or say that Yung Joc is, well, just flat out wack. The argument will go something like this;
ďfu*k that, youíre just a hater. Not everyone is gonna spit lyrics like Nas or Lupe. He just do what he do, he ainít gonna spit some political or conscious raps. He lived his life and just tells us how it is, its his culture, how you gonna criticize for that. fu*k you hater.Ē
Now, Iíll admit this argument does have some validity. Anyone who listens to a Young Jeezy album expecting to be enlightened or challenged, and criticizes the album when they arenít, is being unrealistic and lacking perspective. Now, does that mean Jeezy is off the hook for his lack of lyrical ability? Hell no. Jeezy rhymes about little more than dealing coke, guns, money, and other trappings of his environment. Thatís all fine by me, Iím not listening to him expecting to hear his take on politics. What is not okay is that he cannot do what he does well. ďNot everyone is as lyrical as Jay-Z.Ē Yeah, does that mean its ok to be sh*tty at what you do? Clipse and T.I. basically rhyme about the exact same topics as Jeezy, and they do it really fu*king well. So why canít I say Jeezy only deserves credit for his beat selection? Thatís all he does worth a sh*t! Go ahead, call me a hater. Look, I like Jeezyís album, but Iím not gonna call him a dope emcee or defend him as one because he can make good music. That may make him a good artist, but not a good emcee.
The same goes for Game, these fools got their panties in a bunch because I criticized Game for talking about the same sh*t over and over and over (and over) again on his album. Claiming lowriders, rims, etc are just part of west coast culture. Yes, they are, I know that. Does that mean you need to do little other than reference them for an entire album? No. Does that mean you can do it with no creativity whatsoever and be immune from criticism? No. I love west coast gangsta rap when itís done well. I grew up on NWA, Dre, Snoop, Cube, Spice 1, Comptonís Most Wanted, DJ Quik etc. Game rarely does it well.
ďBlah blah blah Compton, blah blah blah khakis, blah blah blah 100 spokes, blah blah blah chronic smoke, blah blah blah Iíll k!ll you, blah blah blah lowrider, blah blah blah Dr. Dre, blah blah blah blood, blah blah blah gangbanginĒÖand so on.
Fill in the blanks and you can create your own verse from The Game. But sometimes he decides to actually use his talent (which he certainly does have), and he makes songs like Olí English or Doctorís Advocate. Funny thing is, he still references his usual topics but he does it with some actual context and meaning rather than just saying sh*t cause its part of his gimmick. Again, go ahead, call me a hater just because I donít have a homoerotic blind allegiance for him and donít call everything he does a classic.
Stop making fu*king excuses for mediocrity. ďYo he makes music for the clubs, sh*t doesnít have to be good.Ē No! That is no excuse for making sh*tty music. Lyrics in a song made for the clubs can still be good too, look at the sh*t Ludacris makes. Southern Hospitality, Move bi*ch, Stand Up, etc. are dope a.ss rhymes for a club track. Jocís rhymes in Itís Goin Down are not. ďOh Joc ainít lyrical like Luda.Ē Oh okay, so Iíll just accept that and call him dope because I realize his shortcomings. fu*k that, heís wack because of those shortcomings, he doesnít get off the hook because I realize he ainít no Luda. That is what makes Ludacris a great emcee and Yung Joc a bad one!
ďHe do what he do,Ē ďhe does his thing,Ē or any other clichť, meaningless statement like that does not excuse someone from criticism. At least I can still enjoy Game or Jeezyís music even though I know what they donít do well. I could just be what you all like to call ďa haterĒ and just call everything they do wack because I donít like something about them. Bottom line is, I give credit and criticism where its due. But I ainít gonna call someone dope just cause they have good production or sell a lot of records. Shiiit, Iíll flat out call myself a fan of cats who I know arenít good rappers, but I like the songs they make. Why the fu*k canít people separate the two?
When the fu*k did selling records automatically makes you a dope rapper? With the exception of a few rappers whoíve had well deserved commercial success, most folks who blow up do so because they are marketable and can make a catchy song, not because they are in fact talented emcees. Like Jay just said ďthe gameís fu*ked up/ n*ggaís beats is banging/n*gga ya hooks did it/your lyrics didnít/your gangsta look did it/so I would write it/if yíall could get it.Ē And that is fine! I donít care that there are sh*tty rappers that make empty, catchy pop music to shake your a.ss to in the clubs. Not everyone has to spit like Big Daddy Kane. So donít be so fu*king retarded people, if you like someoneís music but they arenít gonna take down ciphers, you donít have to pretend like they will and defend them like theyíre your child. sh*t, Vanilla Ice remains one of the bestselling rappers of all-time, but todayís standards that makes him one of the best emcees, cause you know, ďheís hot, he make hitsĒ or whatever the fu*k you wanna say.
A lot, or most, of the rappers that are selling records today are mediocre. Stop lowering the fu*king bar by calling these dudes the fu*king messiahs because they sell records and because their sh*t bumps in your car. And this ainít no mainstream vs. underground battle, cause throw Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas, Andre 3000, Ludacris, Lupe, etc on a street corner against damn near any underground rapper and youíd witness a slaughter. Just start giving credit and criticism where its due, cause I ainít gonna let my kids read one day that fu*king Chingy was one of the great emcees of the 21st century.

Last edited by tazbk; 12-19-2006 at 08:02 PM..

178 comments for "Dec 19th-Why Does Jeezy Get A Pass For Being Wack?? (don't shoot me)"

12-19-2006, 08:06 PM         #2
Lake85 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yea if jeezy ever put out a acapella album he wouldn't sell. not cause noone would buy it(which is true) but because Def Jam isn't stupid enough waste time and money releasing it. if any should get credit for his success it's the producers.

Last edited by Lake85; 12-19-2006 at 08:07 PM..
 12-19-2006, 08:07 PM         #3
cbdakidd14 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
honestly from ppl's persectives that i speak to, jezzy is only wack becuase he only talks about sellin' dope. dont get me wrong cause i know thats the life he lives ya know. but most ppl wanna hear some growth and hear him speak on a wide variety of sh*t. i would love to hear him speak on other topics. like look @ certain so called "high rated" aritists. jay-z, yea he spits dope from time 2 time but really goes other places with his flow, same as nas, game, etc.
 12-19-2006, 08:13 PM         #4
treelogikz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jeezy is only a attitude, he has no lyrical game. I only like his upbeat stuff, other than that hes trash, he dont get no free passes in the midwest ill tell you that..
 12-19-2006, 08:14 PM         #5
treelogikz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I like terrel owens as a athlete no doubt, he just fu*kin whines too much.
 11 years ago '04        #6
doczdaname 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$12,981 | Props total: 4999 4999
honestly i dont like jeezy that much bc he says hes so real but hes such a gimmick and his voice is annoying..his flow is simplistic majority of the time but sometimes he does give you good lines. Im not saying this from not listening to him either bc I have listened to both of his albums.
 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM         #7
treelogikz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
if you got love for mos def i got a little for u fam, but no homo, n Jeezy has a force to lines, it seems like hes trying to be punchline n grimy.
 11 years ago '04        #8
PrisonRules 70 heat pts70
space
space
$26,123 | Props total: 4511 4511
too long of a read for me to even consider reading...but im just pissed he went at nas, like he is somebody...frankie J would eat jeezy up
 11 years ago '04        #9
Bmoneyz051587 4 heat pts
space
space
$812 | Props total: 66 66
he i dont think he should of went at nas, i didnt like that because how he says hes not a rapper but then he gets mad at him sayin hiphop is dead. If you not a rapper then why u gettin mad. And Mos Def is lyricly nice
 11 years ago '04        #10
Bmoneyz051587 4 heat pts
space
space
$812 | Props total: 66 66
And i woludnt say T.O. whines too much though cause he should of had surgery on his finger but he didnt so he could play this season and he never said anything about it even with people talking about him droppin passes. For him not having surgery he not going to be able to bend his finger again in his life.
 11 years ago '06        #11
NOCCOWT 9 heat pts
space
space
$5,480 | Props total: 257 257
that n*gga is wack i don't care if i can relate to what he is talkin bout. he's wack!!!
 12-19-2006, 08:40 PM         #12
young carl 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
A yo my dude get ya d*ck out ya hand and shut the fu*k up!! Seems to me like you just cant understand what he's sayin so your mad? Or in nerd terms (You cant relate to the music nor to the movement!) I got his mixtape Dj Drama featuring Young Jeezy: I am the Street dream, I beleive he said " Get you some money or get a life and get off my d*ck". P.S little advice try it, it may work!! ha ha ha ha ha ha

Last edited by young carl; 12-19-2006 at 08:41 PM..
 12-19-2006, 08:42 PM         #13
StayBlazin1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i use to think jeezy was wak as fu*k matter fact i aint even heard his first cd but after i listend to his new sh*t i thought it was actually pretty good, if u can relate to this cd than u prolly love it
 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM         #14
JustINtime 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its the production and street cred. thats why he gets a pass for being wack. i dont listen to jeezy seriously so i didnt even read the article. i just answered your topic question
 11 years ago '05        #15
dakrazyman727 1 heat pts
space
space
$203 | Props total: 0 0
 NOCCOWT said:
that n*gga is wack i don't care if i can relate to what he is talkin bout. he's wack!!!

i woulnt say all that tho................he's not the worst.........thats for damn sure...
 11 years ago '04        #16
futurexclusives 4 heat pts
space
space
$649 | Props total: 15 15
One of the best threads ever I have this discussion everday at MY store about "More Money More Problem, More Problems More Money" Jeezy I agree with you all the way. Nas is taking hip hop back and Game is confused. But yeah this a good thread.
 12-19-2006, 08:59 PM         #17
Tha Juggernaut6 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
YO ME AND MY PEOPLES HAVE THIS SAME CONVO ALL THE TIME. I THINK JEEZY IS TRASH I THINK DIPSET IS TRASH BUT ALL MY PEOPLES SAY THE SAME sh*t "THERE REAL". JEEZY THE WORST THO, HOW U GOT A MIC ON UR ARM LIKE U LL COOL J BUT U KEEP SAYING THAT UR NOT A RAPPER........BULLsh*t THE DUDE IS CORNY, THAT WHOLE "IM NOT A RAPPER" BULLsh*t WENT OUT THE DOOR WITH MY n*gga NORE THATS THE LAST n*gga THAT I CAN REALLY STAND SAYING THAT BUT EVEN HE'S MORE VERSITILE THEN JEEZY. :applause: :applause: :applause:
 12-19-2006, 09:00 PM         #18
finesse 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
its the beats and production that makes his cd's good. his lyrics are pretty medicore i feel.
 12-19-2006, 09:04 PM         #19
Reemix 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Eh, I agree.
 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM         #20
kosmix25 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that article right there was real talk. that aint hatin at all cuz my n*gga sayin some real sh*t. i thought i was the only one, but he got it to0. propz for dat.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of ďIím not racistĒ
103 comments
1 day ago