Nas - Hip Hop is Dead (2006)

most viewed right now
29 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

What You Think????
1-Wack 51 3.91%
2-Mediocre 46 3.52%
3-Good but expected more 155 11.88%
4-Nas Came through 542 41.53%
Classic and nothin less!!!! 511 39.16%
Voters: 1305. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

12 years ago '06        #51
authenic 6 heat pts
space
space
$5,642 | Props total: 2509 2509
This album is what streets disicple should've been... This is prolly his 4th best album

order
It was Written
Illmatic
stillmatic
hiphop is dead/Streets disciple

12 years ago '04        #52
tazbk 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,686 | Props total: 17 17
 WhoDat said
I got my $15 for the day it drops. I hope he moves units. If this dont sell, then hip hop aint dead, but it's dying because people will buy enough records for "Snap Music" to go platinum, but Nas is Hip Hop.

Nas is the god mc. This is a classic album
15 bucks? Where you copping from? Mom and Pop shop?

Best buy/Circuit city 9.99 sale special homie.

12-07-2006, 12:46 PM         #53
smoketrees  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
3rd listen...starting to grow on me

12 years ago '04        #54
marshall law 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,428 | Props total: 77 77
I think track 6 (Who k!lled It) is a take on that old detective show Columbo, where dude is trying to track down who k!lled hip-hop (get it?). That strange voice is how Columbo (actor Peter Falk) used to sound.

I'm feelin the album on a first listen (won't rate it until at least 3 or 4 listens), but I'm VERY pissed that Don't Hate Me Now (The N) was taken off the album--that was a perfect opening track IMO.

And what's up with the HHID track being the clean version? I hope it's only like that on these leaks of the album--I'm not trying to hear that when I buy it. Also, can't wait until someone ups that I-Tunes only track Shine On.

Last edited by marshall law; 12-07-2006 at 12:59 PM..

12 years ago '04        #55
Jigga11w 
space
space
$487 | Props total: 19 19
HIP HOP IS DEAD - my honest Review( VS. kingdom Come)

First of all some of yall had me expecting some trash as far as the beats.. No its not Just Blaze, Kanye West and Dr Dre on everybeat but its tight. Nas doesnt need beats in the same way Jay does cuz Nas' flow isnt what makes him great. This album is also the reason i said in my Kingdom Come review that YOU HAVE TO RATE ALBUMS BASED ON THE CURRENT STATE OF HIPHOP. not against illmatic, stillmatic, life after death, all eyez on me, blueprint etc. First off I'm gonna say I'm a Jay fan, but once again Nas reminded me of why my list goes 1. Biggie 2. Nas 3. Jay. I thought kingdom come was the album of the year SO FAR. i also thought Kingdom Come was a 4.25-4.5. BUT the thing is that Hip Hop is Dead is not a classic, or maybe it is after one full listen it is probably the album of the year. This album makes me think of 01' when Blueprint dropped, cuz right when i thought jay came the best that year nas dropped stillmatic. Unlike Jigga, nas has came back and showed off his ability, the lyrics, the rhyme scheme. everything. While i think Jay was trying to prove he could do anythin (Beach Chair, Lost Ones, Show me what you got). I think Nas was more hungry than any rapper this year. cuz ONCE AGAIN. people on this board and in hiphop forgot this was the same man that created Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic, The Lost Tapes. they foregot because of Streets Disciple. Money Over Bullsh*t, You Cant k!ll me, Black Republican, Still Dreaming, Hold Down the Block, Let There Be light, Hustlers. All tight tracks. and the other ones are also good. just didnt catch my ear at first listen like the other ones did.. Based on the current year of hiphop THIS IS as close to a classic as your going to get. The album is a 4.5-4.75. Nas proved he aint dead.(but hip hop is)lol

This albums just shows you how a rappers mind set truely affects his material. Nas was hungry Jay wasnt. and thats the biggest difference im getting from these albums. and i still think Jay Came through on Kingdom Come but Nas just makes me realize who is truely better at the end of the day.

PEACE !!

12 years ago '04        #56
tazbk 1 heat pts
space
space
 Andre3000 said
15 "Hustlers" Dr. Dre The Game, Marsha of Floetry

I guess this is the only way Game will be rocking over a Dr. Dre beat huh.

12 years ago '04        #57
djinferno 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,239 | Props total: 39 39
I hope it's not official because the track selection of what made it and what got left off is sad...

"Where yall at" is vintage Nas and would not be left out IMO, "Hip Hop is dead" is Edited on this rip, That week accapela replaces a really dope beat from that song and track 6 has no business there...

12-07-2006, 01:18 PM         #58
yankeex7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
well slippin from dmxs album was edited.. maybe that murder the dj line got too many complants and they took it off the final version.. in fact, id be willing to bet on that theory

12 years ago '06        #59
SHootar 52 heat pts52
space
space
$22,672 | Props total: 2545 2545
i've only gotten thru the first 3 songs so far.....i hope all these 'trash' songs start hittin me soon cuz so far song 1 and 3 are straight nas fire....song 2 is nice too, not feelin it as much as 1,3, but dayum...i'm excited. these beats are nas so far....what the fu*k ppl complainin about

lol i guess i gotta listen to the rest now...hope album doesn't completely turn on me.

12-07-2006, 01:22 PM         #60
ILLmag 7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
@ 50% saying CLASSIC when it JUST leaked

12 years ago '06        #61
Dj Quest 
space
space
$778 | Props total: 3 3
Nas Back...

12-07-2006, 01:24 PM         #62
ILLmag 7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've heard 2 songs so far and the lyrics are rid*ckalouz

12-07-2006, 01:30 PM         #63
White Wizard  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I like it, very coherent album.

12 years ago '04        #64
JugernoT 
space
space
$2,240 | Props total: 2011 2011
this cd is too tight. I'd say Nas and lupe are tied for best album of the year. lmao who k!lled it is one of the funniest and most creative rap songs i've ever heard.

12-07-2006, 01:30 PM         #65
Dickstarbuck  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the will.i.am tracks are meh. The worse song I think so far is Blunt ashes, even tho there is a strong message, his flow is bad. Still plagued with selecting boring beats, but hey if nas feels them, more power to him

This album is like any other boring nas album. Still dreaming is very nice

3/5 Just because he's nas

12 years ago '04        #66
tazbk 1 heat pts
space
space
 ILLmag 7 said
@ 50% saying CLASSIC when it JUST leaked
That's the Bx way for EVERY album

12 years ago '06        #67
SHootar 52 heat pts52
space
space
$22,672 | Props total: 2545 2545
i'm on "not going back".....this track is some ill sh*t dayum.

fu*k i'm real pleased so far with the album...no skips so far. which is a LOT MORE than u can say for some of the recent nas albums.

12 years ago '04        #68
tazbk 1 heat pts
space
space
Anyone have a link to the regular version of Hope (non- acapella)?

12-07-2006, 01:35 PM         #69
Possyy  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this jawn is on some "It Was Written" type sh*t......NOT too many commercial tracks, but its a very good LYRICAL album

Overall its a good album

12 years ago '04        #70
Koekoe 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,177 | Props total: 736 736
any real hip hop head should def respect this..

every song on there is blazin..

he destroyed alotta peeps on this album

who k!lled it = classic

12-07-2006, 01:37 PM         #71
Dickstarbuck  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 djinferno said
As a big Nas fan, and i mean big, I like only parts of the album....

Like all his albums, theres a good message but songs like track 6 make me go huh?

I too think the beat selection is sub par for todays standards even with strong Vocab...

I guess Nas is right, Hip Hop is dead because, if you don't have a dope beat, I can't listen to you babble for 4 minutes... Right now I like Fat Joe's, Games, Jay-Z album better on beats alone...

I had a hard time with Lupe's album too for the same reasons...

The business of hip hop has changed and I think Nas needs to stop f!ghting it and pay the Neptunes and the Timbo's of this world the money to get the hot beats because these message driven album's won't sell IMO, we know you for real Esco, now spitt on some hot sh*t and k!ll these fools out here...
word.

12-07-2006, 01:47 PM         #72
INJ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yup its solid . so far wat I heard . its solid 4/5

12-07-2006, 01:51 PM         #73
Dickstarbuck  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm a real hip hop fan. fu*k you fan boys that make that excuse for when an album is not up to par. No one is saying that he can't rap. IT'S JUST BORING AS HELL. sh*t we all like nas, but if I wanted a lecture, I would have went to class today. Rap has changed. Now you need beats to get people to pay attention. Otherwise you are just talking. And that AINT rap.

12 years ago '04        #74
nublet 20 heat pts20
space
space
$2,365 | Props total: 127 127
amazing. 5 out of 5. best album of the year right up there with game. alot betetr than kingdom come.

12 years ago '05        #75
afr0sam 
space
space
$418 | Props total: 135 135
classic and nothin less, my favorite album in '06!

Home      

most viewed right now
+29online now  33
Article inside Chiko Juan death: Meek Mill affiliate reportedly dead after Atlanta s..
159 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+22online now  22
Video inside Remember when Murder Inc. tried to create there own 50 Cent....
80 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+18online now  21
Dec 13 - Atlanta goons shoot and kill a Police officer and K-9 off Candler Road
196 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+27online now  19
Video inside If You Decide To Get Married, This Will Be Your Life