most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
97 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
51 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-20-2006, 03:53 AM         #1
6642 pageviews
111 comments

KJ Rulz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
*End All to TV threads, Official ASK KJ about TV's Thread*

Making this basic and general guideline to tvs out there nowadays. I promised a few members I'd do this, and after I read "plasmas run out of gas" I went image and started typing. I just want to help. If you have the time read up and ask questions, because I know Black Friday is coming and a lot of you may want to buy some tv's soon.

A couple notes before you read ahead.

That i after a number, like 1080i for example means interlaced, and p in 1080p means progressive. Interlaced means the picture is scanned first with the even lines then the odd ones. That is, the picture needs to scan twice to show the image you're watching. I read someone use this as an example, put your hands together like you're going to pray to baby jesus (Talladega Nights reference). Progressive, first mainly used with DVD players because they play in 720p, means it will scan the image once all the way through. Progressive is better, clearer image and able to show fast motion scenes much better.

HDMI>Component>Svideo>Composite, yes there's other cables out there, but these three are the most well known and used. HDMI looks like a pc cable you'd use, it has the best quality of all four, and it is a HD standard. However alot of sets don't have this input yet. They will once HD becomes standard at the end of 2007. Component uses three cables just for video, red+green+blue. Svideo uses one cable with 5 pins in it, can also be used to connect most newer computers to tv's. Composite is your standard yellow cable. (For Audio: Optical = Digital Coax > Standard. Optical uses lasers and low loss connection to transmit data through light. It's a more sensitive cable then Coax, and almost the same quality. Although some audiophiles suggest Optical is slightly better. Standard is the red and whites we're all accustomed to.)

5 types of tvs to consider: Analog, Rear Projection, LCD, DLP and Plasma.

Analog:
The tv's we all know and have grown to love. Nothing extraordinary here, just a good old fashion tv that works great for everything and pretty much last forever depending on brand/model you buy. (I label this section as analog, but I mean the standard tv's under 40". Of course you can get these HD, but for the prices for a really good HD standard tv, I'd ask you to shell out the extra cash for the upgrade.)

Personally, I generally like Panasonics and Sonys the best in this category, purely based on features and video performance. I tend to like Panasonics more simply because their price is usually cheaper, but in some models they have a higher tendency to get magnetized. Meaning, the colored spots you get, usually from having other video or audio components near it. Nowadays most tvs have shielding from this problem though.

Rear Projection:
These tvs are the biggest for the cheapest. You'll get a large list of features with these tvs and very good picture quality. If they're HD Ready, you're set with this. Don't get HD built in, that's just stupid especially because most cable companies in your area might just give you the free upgrade to the HD box when you get the HD channels anyway. Rear projections use multiple lenses the size of half your arm, to converge to a single picture. Great picture, tons of features and cheap! The problems with these tvs is that these lenses cost ~$400. So on the chance that one of them is damaged in some way, or becomes dimmer, that's alot of $. Also, if dust collects on the inside of the tv and sits squarely on these lenses, you might notice some shadowing on the screen. One more thing, the viewing angle is the smallest on these type of tvs out of the rest of the categories.

The best brand in this category is flat out, Hitachi. You may have had some great experience with other brands, but this brand is the best by far. It has won the most awards and the other brands most likely are using a form of Hitachi lenses. The best picture quality and the cheapest price among the better brands, too.

LCD:
Liquid Crystal Display, yep I know 99% of you knew what it stood for, just letting the 1% know. Very clear picture, tons of nifty features and among the thinnest tvs you can get. You can use this tv as a pc monitor and tv. Doable with other types, but generally harder. Lightweight and practically portable. This type of tv uses tiny pixels to make up the picture. I have two big problems with this kind of tv. One is that because this type of tv uses pixels to create the picture, you have the chance of dead pixels. That is, they'll burn out and turn black. Tiny spots that might bug you everytime you watch the screen and unfortunately, the manufacturer won't help you until the pixels are atleast a quarter size. Yep, it's in the fine print. Second, LCD's tend to have a "laggy" slowdown in fast, action scenes of movies/video games, compared to other categories. However it should be noted that LCD's this year have a higher response time, ~8ms.

The most well known brand in this category is Sharp because of their Aquos line. I'm not a big fan. The only two brands I would give my "ok" to are Sony and Samsung. If I had to choose, I would buy a Samsung because of price and because they're making a big impact on tv's recently in terms of performance.

DLP:
Digital Light Processing, yea I know you know, I'm just here to let you know I know you know too. It's been out probably around the time you were born, but it's only recently been causing an uproar in retail stores. Using a lamp to produce white light through a fast moving color wheel, it projects the image onto the screen (almost similar to a rear projection, some even classify this as rear projection still). Outstanding color, good viewing angle, thin (not as thin as LCD's/Plasmas), and tons of features. Overall the best all around tv for the money. The only problem I have with DLP's are the lens it uses does need to be replaced every 2-4 years depending on usage and model. The lens costs roughly 250 dollars.

The only major contestant in this field is Samsung. They brought DLP's to the foreground. Most of their models are highly rated, and rightly so.

Plasmas:
The Grand Finale. Plasmas use a similar pixel based system like LCD's, except they don't burn out. Each pixel is made up of three subcomponents, Red, Blue and Green. No the gases don't run out. No it doesn't need to be charged. These tvs are the best of the best. They have the most inputs. They are the thinnest. They have the best quality picture. They have the longest list of features. On a side note, they're also really heavy, around 100 or so lbs., so don't let the size fool you. Some also don't like that most Plasmas use a control box, but honestly I prefer it. It helps hide the cables away and I just stack it with the rest of the A/V equipment I have. Yes, I have one. It's a Hitachi. It's very cool. The only real downside to this besides the last few things I mentioned, is that it is the most likely to freeze an image on the screen. Although, if you just make sure that it has the Orbiter to clear the "ghost" image, which most newer tvs have, then you're all set.

My favorites in this category are pretty much a clean tie between Sony and Hitachi. Both have amazing pictures, both have tons of features and both are very expensive. I picked Hitachi because I can swivel the tv with the remote...

If I had to rank the best of each category,
Unlimited $: Plasma>DLP>LCD>Rear Projection>Standard
Best Value: DLP>Rear Projection>LCD>Standard>Plasma

Any specific questions, ask away. If I've made an error, let me know. If you think I'm stupid, well....you're stupid, so shut up.

Note: None of these tvs should be rated for their sound. They are just simply not meant for sound quality. Go pick up a surround sound system to match the tv quality you get. Personally I'm a big fan of the Onkyo HTS 670. It's cheap and monsterous. Go to:
[pic - click to view]

www.shoponkyo.com

Last edited by KJ Rulz; 12-23-2006 at 10:01 AM..

111 comments for "*End All to TV threads, Official ASK KJ about TV's Thread*"

11-20-2006, 04:17 AM         #2
R 1 S e  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Good read..props
 11-20-2006, 04:41 AM         #3
SleepyThug  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Circuitcity makes you know your sh*t.....hold on one sec I can't even begin to list all of the glaring things wrong with ur post, all I need to say about this post is.

+10 more.

Note: I never once refered to you as stupid.

To my fellow bxers I would use this great master post with a grain of salt and make it sea salt while your at it. Unless their is 5 more chapters being released cuz if thats the case then maybe it will be good.
 11-20-2006, 04:54 AM         #4
Hov  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you forgot the HDMI cable, which i hear is the best.

question though, what if the tv has an hd tuner built into the tv, what does this mean?
 11-20-2006, 04:55 AM         #5
Hov  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
and yo, do you still work at circuit city? are you guys gonna sell that panasonic 50" tv for $999 on friday?

11 years ago '04        #6
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,096 | Props total: 4106 4106
 Hov said:
you forgot the HDMI cable, which i hear is the best.

question though, what if the tv has an hd tuner built into the tv, what does this mean?
If there's an HDTV tuner built into the tv, it means you don't need to buy an HDTV receiver. Well actually, it's more intricate than that. If you have an HDTV QAM tuner in your Tv, that means you'll pick up unencrypted HDTV signals from analog cable. If you don't have a QAM tuner built-in, but have HDTV tuner built in(which is probably NTSC or ASTC), you will be able to receive Over-The-Air(OTA) signals with your tv with no additional box to buy. All you would need is an antenna. If you wanted to get HDTV signals through your cable(for purposes of getting ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc) with this type of tv, you would need to order a HDTV box from your cable company(usually 5 bucks a month to rent). Hope I didn't confuse you too much, but basically it's like this:

HDTV Built-In w/QAM > no need for a box if you want local channels in HDTV via analog cable unless you want channels like ESPNHD and such

HDTV Built-In w/o Qam > No need for a box, but you need an Antenna(just for locals again) or HDTV box(if you want any HDTV signals from your cable company including locals) from your cable company.

HDTV Ready > You will need a HDTV tuner box no matter what. Even if you're just trying to pick up OTA(locals) to transmit the HDTV signal to your tv.
 11-20-2006, 11:49 AM         #7
KJ Rulz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SleepyThug said:
Circuitcity makes you know your sh*t.....hold on one sec I can't even begin to list all of the glaring things wrong with ur post, all I need to say about this post is.

+10 more.

Note: I never once refered to you as stupid.

To my fellow bxers I would use this great master post with a grain of salt and make it sea salt while your at it. Unless their is 5 more chapters being released cuz if thats the case then maybe it will be good.

I don't understand your dilemma. Obviously I'm not going to write 5 more chapters, that's why I said I would answer any questions the members had on this board. If you read any of the post, I said that it's just a general guideline for looking for new tv's. I see you're laughing at the point that I worked at Circuit City, well, how come you're not laughing at my soon to have degree in Electrical Engineering?

Thanks for coming into my thread without reading any of the post and a negative attitude...

Also to the other poster, HDMI is the best cable but there are also many more. I neglected that because alot of tv's don't even have this input. Thank you for reading, too...

You've been propped nitetrain for helping.

Last edited by KJ Rulz; 11-20-2006 at 11:50 AM..
 11-20-2006, 11:58 AM         #8
krenaba  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nice thread, props. I felt it was a little too long for a boxden thread, then again you did it very clearly. I don't know what that other guy's problem is, just a dumb c*nt tryin to be more intelligent than he is. I mean you stated in the first line its a basic and general guideline. sleepy thug needs to get off the internet and read somethin
 11-20-2006, 12:00 PM         #9
Jann  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Working at CC doesnt help your case but nice thread. props.
 11-20-2006, 12:10 PM         #10
SleepyThug  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KJ Rulz said:
I don't understand your dilemma. Obviously I'm not going to write 5 more chapters, that's why I said I would answer any questions the members had on this board. If you read any of the post, I said that it's just a general guideline for looking for new tv's. I see you're laughing at the point that I worked at Circuit City, well, how come you're not laughing at my soon to have degree in Electrical Engineering?

Thanks for coming into my thread without reading any of the post and a negative attitude...

Also to the other poster, HDMI is the best cable but there are also many more. I neglected that because alot of tv's don't even have this input. Thank you for reading, too...

You've been propped nitetrain for helping.
Nah dude my posts for the past 24 hours have all been angry cuz I have some of them dr drugs in me but the post was nice, great thing to do.....I just dont agree with a lot of the stuff you said.....

EDIT: every new hd set out has hdmi, it is pretty much going to be the new standard...

Last edited by SleepyThug; 11-20-2006 at 12:12 PM..
 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM         #11
KJ Rulz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SleepyThug said:
Nah dude my posts for the past 24 hours have all been angry cuz I have some of them dr drugs in me but the post was nice, great thing to do.....I just dont agree with a lot of the stuff you said.....

EDIT: every new hd set out has hdmi, it is pretty much going to be the new standard...

What don't you agree with? Not all new HD sets have HDMI. Some LCD's and DLP's don't have it yet and obviously alot of rear projection and standard tv's don't. I'll add it though to make you feel better...
 11-20-2006, 12:33 PM         #12
KJ Rulz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jann Lee said:
Working at CC doesnt help your case but nice thread. props.

k ... I see your point. Cleaned up and propped. Thanks.
 11 years ago '06        #13
Jersey826 5 heat pts
space
space
$6,824 | Props total: 1170 1170
Aye man propz on this thread, I tried to prop you but it won't let me for some reason so I'll try later. But You know if CC usually has big sales on Black Friday on their HDTV's? I'm talkin like 50% of all tv's or somethin like that cause it looks like the TV I want (Samsung LCD) ain't gonna be on sale on Black Friday when I though that all TV's go on sale on Black Friday.
 11 years ago '05        #14
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$15,106 | Props total: 1545 1545
If you really are a top 100 salesmen two years in a row you need to get away from Circuit City unless they're paying you a lot. You could be making a lot more at a specialty home theatre store. Fire Dog or whatever the hell CC's TV installers are called....lame as hell.

Also it is possible for pixels to die out in a plasma because I've seen it myself. It was one of the older models but still.

I do have a question though, do plasmas still have mercury in them or was that a myth? Someone told me a long time ago that if you drop a plasma TV and it breaks its possible that mercury could leak out.
 11-20-2006, 12:51 PM         #15
KJ Rulz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 QualityRecords said:
If you really are a top 100 salesmen two years in a row you need to get away from Circuit City unless they're paying you a lot. You could be making a lot more at a specialty home theatre store. Fire Dog or whatever the hell CC's TV installers are called....lame as hell.

Also it is possible for pixels to die out in a plasma because I've seen it myself. It was one of the older models but still.

I do have a question though, do plasmas still have mercury in them or was that a myth? Someone told me a long time ago that if you drop a plasma TV and it breaks its possible that mercury could leak out.

They paid me 80k/yr. I was 18-20. I left it to finish school at UConn.

You're right about the dead pixels on plasmas too, but it's far less likely.

"This gas discharge does not contain any sort of mercury or even traces of mercury. This technology makes use of an inert mixture of noble gases (Neon and Xenon)."
 11 years ago '05        #16
space
space
Oh so you don't work there anymore, gotcha. Props for the info though, I want to get a flat screen for my room, probably a 37", any suggestions?
 11 years ago '06        #17
Jersey826 5 heat pts
space
space
$6,824 | Props total: 1170 1170
 KJ Rulz said:
They paid me 80k/yr. I was 18-20. I left it to finish school at UConn.

You're right about the dead pixels on plasmas too, but it's far less likely.

"This gas discharge does not contain any sort of mercury or even traces of mercury. This technology makes use of an inert mixture of noble gases (Neon and Xenon)."
you made 80k a year by being a salesman an Circuit City?
 11 years ago '05        #18
space
space
Yeah I heard they were paying people a lot of money if they were really good to try and take some of the marketshare from Best Buy and other companies. They took a lot of Best Buy managers a few years ago I heard.
 11-20-2006, 01:19 PM         #19
KJ Rulz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Actually I worked on commission and I worked really hard 40+hours a week while going to school full time.

My personal top pick for what you're thinking about would be this Samsung LCD:
[code] http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNS4041D-Wide-Integrated-Tuner/dp/B000ELQTZA/sr=1-8/qid=1164050013/ref=sr_1_8/104-5147575-5301530?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video [/code]

If you're not feeling that tv, let me know I have other suggestions.
 11 years ago '04        #20
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,096 | Props total: 4106 4106
Great thread. I propped you back. This will clean up most of the recent tv threads.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
82 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
240 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
28 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
300 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
That 8mile soundtrack had some classic jams for real
36 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
135 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
113 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
77 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy