Deeper Meaning to "Chain Hang Low"

most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
35 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
94 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
102 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
110 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-08-2006, 12:29 AM         #1
14950 pageviews
37 comments

CrunkPopeye2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Deeper Meaning to "Chain Hang Low"

i got this in a email forward.....makes u think

Subject: "Chain Hang Low"

Hey, did you know about this?

New Artist Jibbs' Single "Chain Hang Low". A History behind the nusery rhyme that the song is biting off of .

Recently there is a new artist out of Saint Louis that goes by the name JIBBS. Jibbs debut single "Chain hang low" has a history that most people are not aware of. The particular nusery rhyme that the song mimics is "Ears Hang Low" The history behind this song is that during the civil war Confererate soldiers would remove certain body parts (primarily ears and testicles) from the deceased corpses of freed slaves who were f!ghting as Northern (Yankee) soldiers after their battles. These "trinkets" were then placed on a rope necklace and worn as a trophy piece. As the lyrics to the nusery rhyme state "do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro... etc" "Can you throw them over your shoulder like a (Continental) soldier". This word (Continental) took this nursery rhyme from racist jargon to playful melody. The word that filled this space was (Confederate) as in Confederate soldier. Other nursery rhymes have done the same i.e. Eenie, Meenie, Minee, Moe catch a Ni**er by his toe. Not Tiger. My question to young people black and white is that "Does knowing the history of the nursery rhyme change your opinion of the New single by Jibbs. " Personnally knowing this myself I can't stand to hear the song. It seems to advertise our ignorance as a people. I wrote this note to inform people of this. Knowledge is power and Ignorance IS NOT BLISS; its suicide. If you don't know, you can't change. So black, white, indifferent tell me how you feel about this now that you've attained knowledge

Brandon Akins
Standard Bank & Trust Co.
Telecommunications Officer
MIS Department
(708) 876-8902
(708) 233-5182 Fax
brandon.akins@standardbanks.com

37 comments for "Deeper Meaning to "Chain Hang Low""

11 years ago '05        #2
Reeferman420 
space
space
$494 | Props total: 0 0
i feel no different towards the song because he was obviously not trying to bring anything up about slavery

just trying to sell records
 11-08-2006, 12:45 AM         #3
Kali_Kingz90  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
He is 15 and from St.Louis...do you expect him to have known this?
 11 years ago '04        #4
datboy|e 18 heat pts18
space
space
$2,923 | Props total: 3004 3004
I think it just has to do with a catchy beat and selling records...wowowo consipriacy theory!!!
 11-08-2006, 01:59 AM         #5
menace23t  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k the white man
 11-08-2006, 01:59 AM         #6
CrunkPopeye2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
did i write it?

send a email to mr.akins.....
 11-08-2006, 02:08 AM         #7
ItsYaboyJay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
My people perish for lack of knowledge - Hosea Chapt. 4 Verse 6

The song "Ring Around The Rosie" is about the plague that was given to the Indians, ashes were the thought to be known cure for it (Posies or dark blemishes caused by the sickness). "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down (we all die)"
 11-08-2006, 02:17 AM         #8
Witac  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItsYaboyJay said:

The song "Ring Around The Rosie" is about the plague that was given to the Indians, ashes were the thought to be known cure for it (Posies or dark blemishes caused by the sickness). "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down (we all die)"
yo playboy are you trying to show that u grasp the concept of google and wikipedia?

the ORIGINAL meaning of zzzzzz was in great brittain pertaining to a black person.... and it was NOT in a racist way or in a demeaning way... it was just a word used to distinguish one person from the next... then sh*t got flipped....

as the word wh0ore...used to mean a teacher, or one who taught.....like a s3x therapist.....it was good to be a wh0ore

type of sh*t happens all the time.....

(i can use the internet too)
Word -Original Meaning
awful -deserving of awe
brave -cowardice (as in bravado)
counterfeit -legitimate copy
girl -young person of either s3x
guess -take aim
knight -boy
luxury -sinful self indulgence
neck -parcel of land (as in neck of the woods)
notorious -famous
nuisance -injury, harm
quick -alive (as in quicksilver)
sophisticated -corrupted
tell -to count (as in bank teller)
truant -beggar

yes some (if not all) nursery rhymes have been based upon (or looked too closely at with a paranoid state of mind) horrible things.....

this doesnt mean that their current meaning is of that....

chain hang low, OR ears hang low is NOT racist, and NOT demeaning... if u thinik it is.... stop smokin reefer, your paranoid and need to chill the fu*k out
 11-08-2006, 02:38 AM         #9
ItsYaboyJay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^Actually I learned that in 9th grade history class by my caucasian teacher, we watched a documentary on it, so what are youuuuuuu saying?
 11-08-2006, 03:00 AM         #10
Lesane  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
interesting....

and kids are still being taught these songs to this day.
 11-08-2006, 03:20 AM         #11
Witac  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItsYaboyJay said:
^^^Actually I learned that in 9th grade history class by my caucasian teacher, we watched a documentary on it, so what are youuuuuuu saying?

i'm sayin the meaning of sh*t changes.... i'm sure u use words that have meant other things before, how is this song any different? he took somethin from what he knew (the children song, not the confederate jingle) and flipped it and made a hot song.... stop trying to take it further than what it is... your lookin too deep.....

i mean i read conspiracy theories and all this BUT..........you reachin for sh*t homie
 11-08-2006, 03:37 AM         #12
ItsYaboyJay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^I'm not the one who created the thread homie, so you should be quoting him, I never said I felt anyway towards Jibbs, I just simply quoted a passage from the Bible and stated facts. Never did I say Jibbs was ignorant or that I agreed with the thread starter and by the way I started my first post basically meant I bet if Jibbs DID know what it meant, he wouldn't have used the song.
 11 years ago '05        #13
mattdogg444 
space
space
$14,497 | Props total: 717 717
hes just a kid he wrote a nursey rhyme....he did not know that
 11-08-2006, 01:15 PM         #14
Witac  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItsYaboyJay said:
^^^I'm not the one who created the thread homie, so you should be quoting him, I never said I felt anyway towards Jibbs, I just simply quoted a passage from the Bible and stated facts. Never did I say Jibbs was ignorant or that I agreed with the thread starter and by the way I started my first post basically meant I bet if Jibbs DID know what it meant, he wouldn't have used the song.

and i feel you on that..... i was just too lazy to quote both of you.... lol... i wasnt tryna disrespect u at all..... it was more my feelings toward the subject in a whole.... not to just u......
 11-08-2006, 01:17 PM         #15
BlackThought  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think whoever was the producer or who helped him the write the song was ignorant. Not sayin that they knew or maybe they did but its the ignorance that causes one to do stuff like that. I don't know if it was intentional or not but its ashame but good thing I already knew that though.
 11 years ago '06        #16
illathruz 65 heat pts65
space
space
$6,505 | Props total: 2306 2306
I think the moral to the story is a lot of the songs we hear today used to be racist. Its ironic and nothing more. The irony is that we sing songs about our negative aspects with joy. When you think about it, the black on black violence in rap is an extension of this irony.
 11-08-2006, 01:24 PM         #17
BlackThought  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 illathruz said:
I think the moral to the story is a lot of the songs we hear today used to be racist. Its ironic and nothing more. The irony is that we sing songs about our negative aspects with joy. When you think about it, the black on black violence in rap is an extension of this irony.

Very Ironic.. I wouldn't write a song like that.. It's fukkin depressing in a way..
 11-08-2006, 07:15 PM         #18
CrunkPopeye2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
well either way, notice its a FORWARD!
with someone elses name and info attached to it.....

god forbid i challenge boxden to think outside the box

:banghead:
 11-08-2006, 07:17 PM         #19
AlCapone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
he doesnt even know how to write lyrics let alone know any historical information
 11 years ago '05        #20
2bigz 15 heat pts15
space
space
space
$6,003 | Props total: 1428 1428
 ItsYaboyJay said:

ring around the rosie was talkin about the Black death
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
62 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
27 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
285 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
52 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
80 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
127 comments
23 hours ago