Nov 2 - Illegal Immigrants Kids No Longer Auto Eligible 4 Health Insurance

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
92 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
119 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
282 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-02-2006, 08:59 PM         #1
7261 pageviews
212 comments

SleepyThug 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nov 2 - Illegal Immigrants Kids No Longer Auto Eligible 4 Health Insurance

[pic - click to view]

http://www.nytimes.com/20 .. -medicaid.html
^^^The Link^^^

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2 — Under a new policy, children born in the United States to undocumented immigrants with low incomes will no longer be automatically entitled to health insurance through Medicaid, federal officials said today.

Doctors and hospitals said the policy change would make it more difficult for such infants, who are United States citizens, to obtain health care needed in the first year of life.

Undocumented immigrants are generally barred from Medicaid, but can get coverage for treatment of emergency medical conditions, including labor and delivery. In the past, once a woman received emergency care under Medicaid for the birth of a baby, the child was deemed eligible for coverage as well, and states had to cover them for one year from the date of birth.

Under the new policy, an application must be filed for the child, and the parents must provide documents to prove the child’s citizenship.

The documentation requirements took effect in July, but some states have been slow to enforce them, and many doctors are only now becoming aware of the effects on newborns.

Obtaining such documents can take weeks or months in some states, doctors said. Moreover, they added, illegal immigrant parents may be reluctant to go to a state welfare office to file applications because they fear contact with government agencies that could report their presence to immigration authorities.

Administration officials said the change was necessary under their reading of a new law, the Deficit Reduction Act, signed by President Bush in February. The law did not mention newborns, but generally tightened Medicaid documentation requirements because some lawmakers were concerned that immigrants were fraudulently claiming United States citizenship to get Medicaid.

Marilyn E. Wilson, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Medicaid program, said: “The federal government told us we have no latitude. All states must change their policies and practices. We will not be able to cover any services for the newborn until a Medicaid application is filed. That could be days, weeks or months after the child is born.”

About four million babies are born in the United States each year, and Medicaid pays for more than one-third of all births. The number involving illegal immigrant parents is not known, but is likely to be in the tens of thousands, health experts said.

Doctors and hospitals denounced the policy change and denied that it was required by the new law.

Dr. Jay E. Berkelhamer, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, said the new policy “punishes babies who, according to the Constitution, are citizens because they were born here.”

Dr. Martin C. Michaels, a pediatrician in Dalton, Ga., said that continuous coverage in the first year of life was important because “newborns need care right from the start.”

“Some Americans may want to grant amnesty to undocumented immigrants, and others may want to send them home,” Dr. Michaels said. “But the children who are born here had no say in that debate.”

Under a 1984 law, which remains on the books, infants born to pregnant women on Medicaid are deemed eligible for Medicaid for one year.

In an interview today, Leslie V. Norwalk, acting administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said the new policy “reflects what the new law says in terms of eligibility.”

“When emergency Medicaid pays for a birth,” Ms. Norwalk said, “the child is not automatically deemed eligible. But the child could apply and could qualify for Medicaid because of the family’s poverty status. If anyone knows about a child being denied care, we want to know about it. Please step up and tell us.”

Representative Charlie Norwood, Republican of Georgia, was a principal architect of the new law. “Charlie’s intent was that every person receiving Medicaid needs to provide documentation,” said John E. Stone, a spokesman for Mr. Norwood, who is a dentist and has been active on health care issues. “With newborns, there should be no problem. All you have to do is provide a birth certificate or hospital records verifying birth.”

But Dr. Berkelhamer of the pediatrics academy disagreed. Even though the children are eligible for Medicaid, he said, undocumented immigrants may be afraid to apply because of “the threat of deportation.” And the new policy “will cost the health care system more in the long run,” added Dr. Berkelhamer, because children of undocumented immigrants may go without immunizations, preventive care and treatments needed in the first year of life.

Dr. Joshua M. Sharfstein, commissioner of the Baltimore Health Department, said: “From the standpoint of public health, the new policy is senseless. It creates delays in getting insurance for children at precisely the moment when they need it most, in the first few months of life.”

Anne Marie Murphy, the Medicaid director in Illinois, said: “The new policy will be a barrier to Medicaid enrollment for citizen children. If we pay medical claims for childbirth at a hospital in Illinois, we know that the child was born here and is eligible for our program, based on income. It would be physically impossible for the child not to be a citizen.”

Doctors, children’s hospitals and advocacy groups, like the National Health Law Program, have been urging states to preserve the old policy on Medicaid eligibility for children born to undocumented immigrants.

Sara Rosenbaum, a professor of health law at George Washington University, said: “The new policy reflects a tortured reading of the new law and is contrary to the language of the 1984 statute, which Congress did not change. The whole purpose of the earlier law, passed with bipartisan support, was to make sure that a baby would not have a single day’s break in coverage from the date of birth through the first year of life.

212 comments for "Nov 2 - Illegal Immigrants Kids No Longer Auto Eligible 4 Health Insurance"

11-02-2006, 09:29 PM         #2
Maury Flow  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
*does mr. burns voice* excellent
 11 years ago '06        #3
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,982 | Props total: 4009 4009
 sunn4511 said:
i believe it makes sense. why should i have to work, pay my taxes and my money is been used to support some undocumented illegal child. my health insurance just went up in my job. i apllaud this law, now what we need to start doing is mass deportation of illegals. that way the burden wont be on innocent peopel who pay their taxes, or legal aliens who came here the right way.
Your money is being fu*ked over anyway...either on immigrants or on something else. I bet you dont necessarily agree with EVERYTHING thats been going on recently...yet the government still uses those "precious" tax dollars of yours to fund an evidently unnecessary war in Iraq. Now I would much rather pay for a child's proper birth than a stupid war in the first place. God be with those families.
 11 years ago '04        #4
Floeji 
space
space
$5,529 | Props total: 68 68
 Storchaveli said:
Your money is being fu*ked over anyway...either on immigrants or on something else. I bet you dont necessarily agree with EVERYTHING thats been going on recently...yet the government still uses those "precious" tax dollars of yours to fund an evidently unnecessary war in Iraq. Now I would much rather pay for a child's proper birth than a stupid war in the first place. God be with those families.

Word. And that's the truth, Ruth.
 11-02-2006, 09:59 PM         #5
ShyLadii08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
those who oppose immigrants should take a deeper look into their own history imo, where did YOUR ancestors come from? yeah your entitled to your own opinion but when biased remarks are involved, it's another story..
these people are just like you and deserve a healthy life like you, all they want is a better life in a country with REAL FREEDOMS.. is that so wrong? no.. the ones that fu*k it over for the rest just mess everything up, serious.
This new ''law'' is insane.. what happened to the freedom and right to pursue happiness and stability? hypocritical..

Last edited by ShyLadii08; 11-02-2006 at 10:00 PM..
 11-02-2006, 10:04 PM         #6
Surfinfool  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
thats the way it should be
 11-02-2006, 10:09 PM         #7
SleepyThug  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Everyone in the country should have health care no matter what.
 11-02-2006, 10:11 PM         #8
PtownThug16  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 sunn4511 said:
i believe it makes sense. why should i have to work, pay my taxes and my money is been used to support some undocumented illegal child. my health insurance just went up in my job. i apllaud this law, now what we need to start doing is mass deportation of illegals. that way the burden wont be on innocent peopel who pay their taxes, or legal aliens who came here the right way.
thats bullsh*t tho cuz they arent illegal undocumented children.......isnt the law that if you are born here you are automatically a citizen (thats how it was for me at least)......i could understand if the parents dont get health insurance cuz they are illegal but the kids are legal
 11 years ago '04        #9
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
 SleepyThug said:
Everyone in the country should have health care no matter what.

I agree with that, but people will not pay higher taxes. Also, it would have to be government controlled. I think the HMO's and Healthcare companies would have something to say. The system is flawed.
 11-02-2006, 10:21 PM         #10
onicap  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i agree with this ruling... and i'm a latino.

my parents came here legit and when i was young, the health care system wouldn't help me but they would help the kids of the illegals, thats not fair.

oeople think that these laws are aimed at immigrants... idiots!!! these laws are aimed at ILLEGAL immigrants, not LEGAL immigrants. there is a difference.

and even if the kids are born here, in order to be legal, they should be given for adoption. look, these illegals have kids too damn much. the other day I seen a fatbellied salvadorean woman walkin 5 kids... close your legs bi*ch and stop living off my taxes!!!
 11 years ago '04        #11
sicilianos 
space
space
$657 | Props total: 0 0
you people are insane. Look at the Constitution:
Anyone born or naturalized in America is a US CITIZEN!!!!!!!
This is being outright unconstitutional. It's insane in fact. There's is no reason to deny a person health care just because their parents are illegal. This country is going to hell.
 11 years ago '06        #12
dredman 3 heat pts
space
space
$700 | Props total: 0 0
 sunn4511 said:
you missing the point here. first of all the parents is illegal why should my taxpayer money to finance the healthcare, cost of education of an illegal immigrant when the rate of the average american keep rising. simple as that if there parents are illegal and cant afford it deny the kids also. its time people put social issues aside and create a balance environment that is fair. people should be rewarde for hardwork and not for breaking the law in the first place.
You're talking nonsense.

Answer me this:

Did that child (Who is a UNITED STATES CITIZEN BY BIRTH) choose to be born in the US?

No......so how can our government strip them of certain rights?

Shut the fu*k up with this elitist mentality. it also looks like you're putting taxpayer money to use with that fine United States education

What a fu*king joke. Think before you type this type of bullsh*t on a public forum once in a while.
 11-02-2006, 10:24 PM         #13
onicap  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the last time i checked, a forum was a place to voice your views... it does not make a person stupid or an 'elitist' because they have an opinion.
 11-02-2006, 10:25 PM         #14
krenaba  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i disagree with this ruling, and i feel it's very nationalistic and small minded of people to agree with this. i don't think you are stupid if you agree, just ignorant. i feel that we should always help our fellow man.

also, if my tax dollars are being used to help sick children??? i'm all for it. i'd rather see that then hear the govt say they just spent another 50 billion dollars in a couple months.

11 years ago '05        #15
ktown187 
space
space
$879 | Props total: 0 0
i think that this is the last of the problems in this country. although i agree that they shouldnt get insurance unless every U.S. citizen get insurance. the real issue is that you have people in this country who tell the poor and middle class people how to spend there money and tax us higher then the wealthy. these same people never worked a min. wage job in there life and in fact they havent raised the min. wage for a while but still continue raise gas prices and the cost of living in general. in other words fu*k bush!
 11 years ago '06        #16
dredman 3 heat pts
space
space
 sunn4511 said:
but who picks up the bills, does that mean if 2 billion asians coem to this country illegally, the rest of us have to suffer to pay their medical bills. where you are born has nothing to do with it.
Are you stupid? Illegal immigrants come to America to WORK. All of those unclaimed tax dollars go right back into the system.

If you want to play the blame game then blame Bush for spending almost 3 Billion dollars of tax payer money on a fruitless War campaign.
 11 years ago '05        #17
KlipKlap 61 heat pts61
space
space
$8,281 | Props total: 4350 4350
im 4 it but damn it took them this long 2 do that sh*t?....white folks!!!!
 11 years ago '06        #18
dredman 3 heat pts
space
space
 sunn4511 said:
we all got jobs also, you keep forgettign the sector that works and a huge chunk of their paycheck goes to the health insurance company. why should they work so that other people kids can have free insurance. get real.
You're delusional.

Last time I checked, if you're born in a country you have every right that other citizens have no matter who your parents are.

Find me a law that says otherwise.......or else

Keep it moving. You're arguing a moot point.
 11 years ago '06        #19
dredman 3 heat pts
space
space
 sunn4511 said:
your are making me sick yes they have rights. nobody is stripping them of theior rights. the fact is they are children of illegal immigrants that makes them illegal also.
I stopped after that.

They are United States citizens if they are born on US soil.

U.S. Citizenship by Birth or Through Parents

You may already be a U.S. citizen and not know it.

U.S. citizenship can be obtained in one of four ways:

* birth in the United States or its territories
* birth to U.S. citizen parents
* naturalization (the grant of citizenship after an application and exam), or
* naturalization of one's parents.

Last edited by dredman; 11-02-2006 at 10:46 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #20
dredman 3 heat pts
space
space
 sunn4511 said:
like i said, lawmakers are changing immigration laws and this is a law that should get bipartisan vote. its time for the american society to stop babysitting ilegal immigrants and all their problems. i came to this country legally, got a job, work hard, got my own insurance, going to college. dont depend on the government or any government a.ssistance of any kind. my parents are the same way they work their way all to the top. why cant people from south american or central american be like thatt. no free lunch anymore its time for everybody to start carrying their own weight .
Well I actually agree with you on that point. But you're singling out one type of people (hispanic) when there are tons of illegal immigrants coming into the United States everyday, willing to work for less than minimum wage just so that their children can have a better life.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
98 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
64 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
210 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy