Oct 26 - 'Borat' Screenings Slashed in the US

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
100 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
88 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
149 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
17 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

U Think People Dont Understand That Kinda Humor ??

Props Slaps
 10-27-2006, 05:46 PM         #61
razorsharp  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what a joke. Borat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>usa
 11 years ago '04        #62
BADBOI 
space
space
$6,459 | Props total: 0 0
fu*k dat ima still go watch dat sh*t
 10-27-2006, 05:57 PM         #63
cashrules93  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i know buffalo wont cut it so i aint worried they never cut sh*t no matter how many theaters do

"u have 2 a a degree of intelligence maybe europeans only have..."

^^^^right
 10-27-2006, 06:25 PM         #64
dragonpac  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
oh sh*t, now Borat will be executed cause the movie will not be a success
 10-27-2006, 11:00 PM         #65
DjRefleX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I went to the screening back in September and it was funny as hell, Im gonna go again when it opens too. Some ppl have no sense of humour these, I cant believe its being cut from so many theaters.
 11 years ago '04        #66
detroitwalt 
space
space
space
$765 | Props total: 0 0
There are a handful of stars in the pop-culture pantheon who sail by on just one name. Prepare to add one more: Borat.

Borat Sagdiyev, the s3x-crazed, thong-wearing, moustache-sporting, obscenity-spouting Kazakhstani reporter hurtling into a theater near you in one of the year's most anticipated comedies.

He's not real. Neither are his "reportings."

Yet his movie, which has the unwieldy title of Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, has generated the kind of pre-release hype that blue-chip Oscar contenders can only dream of.

"I haven't ever gotten this same kind of response from such a broad range of people, like parents at my kids' school," says producer Jay Roach, who helmed the Austin Powers and Meet the Parents flicks. "I was just sitting with Jack Valenti (the 85-year-old former head of the MPAA) at something, and he'd heard about Borat. The weirdest people come out of the woodwork."

The movie, which starts rolling out Nov. 3, k!lled at early screenings in Cannes, where Borat showed up on the beach in a neon man-kini, and Toronto, with Borat arriving at the premiere in a cart pulled by burly women. "You probably won't laugh as hard all year," raved the Hollywood Reporter, while Variety called it "uproariously funny."

The credit for all that hoopla goes to British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, 35, a Cambridge-educated fellow best known as faux gangsta rapper Ali G on Da Ali G Show, which made its debut in England before having a two-season run on HBO. The show featured Baron Cohen as Ali G, who interviewed unsuspecting public figures such as Andy Rooney and Pat Buchanan, and secondary characters Bruno (a catty gay Austrian fashion reporter who accosted stylists and designers) and Borat, who came to America to report on the great land by going to wine tastings, self-defense classes and dating services.

Borat simply moves Borat to a larger screen: The star Kazakh reporter comes to America to learn about it and to take his "reportings" back to his homeland. While here, he catches a rerun of Baywatch and falls head over heels for Pamela Anderson, deciding to make her his bride. Because he's afraid of flying and believes the Jews were responsible for 9/11, he drives cross-country from New York to L.A. to find her. Along the way, he sings at a rodeo, learns to rap, hits a yard sale and engages in a wrestling match.

"Borat wants to come to the greatest country in the world and take back what he's learned," says Roach. "It just so happens that he reveals things about our culture to ourselves by getting people to say what they're privately thinking." For example: Drunken college boys lament the end of slavery and a rodeo hand slams homos3xuals.

The goal was "to make a hysterically funny movie," says director Larry Charles. "The idea of exposing hypocrisy? Those were secondary agendas."

Some bits shoot barbs straight at Kazakhstan. Borat says the central Asian country is a backwater that holds an annual event called "the running of the Jew," bans women from driving because "to let a woman drive a car is like to let a monkey drive a plane" and serves fermented horse urine as wine. He professes amazement that in the "U.S. and A.," people flush their excrement down the toilet and wash themselves in a shower, not a river.

Some are not amused

The humor hasn't gone over well with officials in Kazakhstan. Earlier reports had Kazakhstan threatening to sue, but embassy spokesman Roman Vassilenko dismisses those accounts.

"We're concerned that the joke may be lost on somebody, that it's just a British comedian playing a prank on Americans," Vassilenko says. "We never did threaten to sue, and we're not going to. The movie is an opportunity for Kazakhstan to present its side of the story, and we hope the movie will draw attention to the real Kazakhstan."

Although Baron Cohen is devoutly Jewish, his bumbling alter ego fears Jews. On the Ali G show Borat sings a song called Throw the Jew Down the Well; in the film he refuses to stay in a B&B run by Jews. When Kazakhstan first protested Baron Cohen's shtick, Borat sided with the angry country by saying in a video posted on his official website that he supports the decision to "sue this Jew."

Baron Cohen wasn't available to comment. Not exactly, anyway. He responded to questions by e-mail — as Borat. On the movie, he writes: "My government was concern about amounts of anti-semism in my moviefilm. But eventually our censor decide there was just enough and allow its release. However it do have most strict certificate of Kazakh Censor, which mean it cannot be looked on by anyone below age of 3."

And on the biggest perk of fame: "Since I change from be gypsy catcher and icemaker to occupation make reportings I have much better life and great success, especial with opposite s3x ... Hi 5! Ladies like Borat!"

Such oddities as doing interviews only by e-mail and in character are the mild side of the Borat universe. To promote the film, Borat has gone to Washington, D.C., to meet with "Premiere George Walter Bush." On his MySpace page, Borat posts videos that have Kazakhstan endorsing Mel Gibson's anti-Semitic tirade and calling him a "warrior" and asking his "lady-friends" to send him erotic photos.

In comedy circles, such dedication is something to celebrate.

"Borat is fantastic," says British comic Ricky Gervais, creator of The Office. "He absolutely goes all out. If he can justify something, he doesn't compromise."

"He's courageous," says Stephen Colbert, host of Comedy Central's The Colbert Report. "It's hard to know how much someone knows what he's doing is real and how much is a creation. I have a great admiration for him. It takes a tremendous amount of guts to stick to your character."

Whenever Baron Cohen is Borat, he never breaks away from the character's wide-eyed stare, gleeful grin, choppy accent and garbled English. While shooting, Charles says he noticed Baron Cohen's mouth twinge a few times, perhaps inching toward a smile, but that's as far as it went.

"He is doing four-hour single-take scenes, and he is in character at all times," marvels Charles. "He's in character when he and I talk between scenes. From the moment he comes out of the hotel in the morning, you're talking to Borat. He was completely immersed in the character. He is an incredibly intense, focused individual."

While Baron Cohen takes his comedy seriously, he's not afraid to mock himself. Hence his penchant, as Borat, for wearing thongs and shiny suits.

"He has no inhibitions with his physical self. None whatsoever," says Roach. "When you think of the green thong to the little gym shorts, there's very little concern for the risk of looking uncool."

He's nothing like Borat

Those who know Baron Cohen say he's nothing like any of his outrageous, in-your-face characters. He also voiced King Julian in Madagascar and played the Camus-reading French race car driver in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

His Talladega co-star Molly Shannon calls Baron Cohen "hilarious. Such an original talent. I was so star-struck. But he seems very normal. He's funny but kind of quiet. And he's pretty religious."

Bring up his name to anyone and the word you often hear is "nice."

Paul Rudd calls him "the greatest comedic performer on earth. There's really funny people, there's incredibly funny people, and there's him. He's got more guts and is more inventive than anyone except Peter Sellers. I actually, as a diehard Peter Sellers fan, think he might actually be better, because he's a very nice guy, too."

There's that word again. Nice.

"He's not like what you'd expect," says Gervais, who has known Baron Cohen for years. "He's very scholarly and quiet, and serious."

Adds Tina Fey, who is writing a movie for him to star in at Paramount: "He's really smart. Just a lovely, genteel, educated British gentleman."

And while comedians can be sour in person, Roach says Baron Cohen is the exception. "You don't have to have a dark upbringing or dark approach to life to be funny. I don't think his comedy comes from that at all. His personas often come from the physical. That walk he has, that looks almost like a wooden puppet, as Borat."

Roach calls Baron Cohen "very respectful, deferential. He will get up and pull a chair out for anybody who walks into the room and make sure they're comfortable and (make sure) they have something to drink. He's tremendously chivalrous. I find him to be incredibly intelligent, articulate, charming, super-polite by American standards."

11 years ago '06        #67
DUNDUN 
space
space
$890 | Props total: 140 140
shyt was funny on ali g show i expect the same 4 da movie......
 10-28-2006, 12:48 AM         #68
makaveli115  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
seen a screenin last week this movie is pretty offesive n crosses the line in some scenes(still funny but i understand why it offended alot). Dont get me started on the 2 nekkid dudes f!ghting scene smh
 11 years ago '04        #69
dblock278 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,622 | Props total: 7 7
oh yeah tough to get his jokes.....u guys are prolly like 16 and think your smart cuz ya get his lame humor.
 10-29-2006, 01:34 AM         #70
prophetz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
they're cutting it because

= most americans are stupid, will take it literally and start campaigning to ban it... sorry that's the truth. same with GB death movie.. the average american with his bible is a fu*king moron. Probably the same 'pro life' morons
 10-29-2006, 01:42 AM         #71
Norml_Row  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I just saw the previews for this today, it looks like a funny a.ss movie.
 11 years ago '04        #72
Mista Mizatti 5 heat pts
space
space
$10,458 | Props total: 868 868
 prophetz said:
they're cutting it because

= most americans are stupid, will take it literally and start campaigning to ban it... sorry that's the truth. same with GB death movie.. the average american with his bible is a fu*king moron. Probably the same 'pro life' morons
Words of the day

iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies

ig·no·rance
Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&n(t)s
Function: noun

BTW the movie seems pretty idiotic to me. I can't see why anyone wouldn't 'get it', just doesn't seem like much to get.

Last edited by Mista Mizatti; 10-29-2006 at 01:58 AM..
 10-29-2006, 01:58 AM         #73
Playboysoldier  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i feel fox is insulting my intelligents by thinking just because i'm american i believe everything i see.

everyone knows Sacha Baron is british and common sense should tell everyone that Kazakhstan is not what he says it is and its just for laughs. im not fu*king trying to be educated on Kazakhstan im trying to laugh until i p!ss my pants. does the U.S. really think i need to educated before i watch a comedic documentary???? both 20th Century Fox and Kazakhstan need to pull their heads out of their a.sses. people are already upset with america so a man making fun of not only a country thats hes not from plus america as well isnt gonna bring protestors to 20th Century Fox studios demanding the movie gets cut.
 11 years ago '04        #74
babalou 
space
space
$12,433 | Props total: 17 17
crazy. if people dont get the Borat character then they wont go see it. How fu*king stupid are movie theatres are to fu*k up their own money.

On a side note, I literally saw "Borat" on a subway train (6 train) here in NYC. he was in his suit with like 6 white dudes behind him with a camera and they were getting on the train I just got off of on 96th street & Lex. That was like 2 months ago.
 10-29-2006, 02:57 AM         #75
kswift  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
borat is the illest! ali g is the king :D
 10-29-2006, 04:04 AM         #76
eMoneyBee  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Borat is the funniest character he does. Borat > Ali-G.

Can't wait to see the movie.
 11 years ago '04        #77
iceman58796 
space
space
space
$491 | Props total: 0 0
ive seen the film, and ill tell u ive never laughed so hard in my life.
 10-29-2006, 09:23 PM         #78
AlCapone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
looks lame to me imo
 11 years ago '04        #79
rasheedwallace 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,310 | Props total: 11226 11226
america is soft...jesus, its a fu*kin movie. let it be shown. country is full of pussies man, i mean, we still have a drinking age at 21.

thats exemplification enough.
 10-30-2006, 10:41 AM         #80
mc_breed  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
looks intersting
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
153 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
90 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
46 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
96 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
71 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
50 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy