The Official Boston Celtics Thread

most viewed right now
NFL So lets speculate what the Antonio Brown injury might be
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL JuJu turns the hit on Vontaze Burfict that got him suspended into a TD cel..
19 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
67 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That Heís Not Their Allege..
28 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-01-2008, 04:48 PM         #301
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Source: Celtics make offers to Posey, Maggette

The Celtics have made contract offers to two forwards: Their own free agent, James Posey, and Clippers free agent Corey Maggette, sources told the Boston Globe. The most the Celtics could offer is the mid-level exception (about $5.8 million), and it's doubtful that they could sign both players. The terms of the offers were not disclosed.

Posey averaged 7.4 points and 4.4 rebounds in 2007-08 and was a NBA Sixth Man of the Year candidate in his first season with Boston. The two-time NBA champion was a strong leader for the Celtics and opted out of the second year of a two-year deal on Monday to become an unrestricted free agent. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds last season for the Clippers and played for Celtics coach Doc Rivers in Orlando during the 1999-2000 season.
 9 years ago '05        #302
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$54,085 | Props total: 6985 6985
the rookie interviews are on the front page celtics.com
 9 years ago '05        #303
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
more videos

07-02-2008, 08:09 AM         #304
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Celtics extend offer to Maggette

WALTHAM - At 12:01 a.m. yesterday, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge made an expected call to one of his free agents, swingman James Posey. Not long after, Ainge also placed calls to several other free agents throughout the league, including Clippers forward Corey Maggette.

On the first day of free agency in the NBA, the world champion Celtics, according to an NBA source, made contract offers to both Posey and Maggette. Since Boston, at most, has a mid-level exception available (expected to be about $5.8 million), it would seem doubtful they could land both players. Boston is also scheduled have New Orleans center Chris Andersen in for a visit today.

"I called [Posey] and just talked to him and told him how much we wanted him back," Ainge said. "I told his agent and we had a conversation. So we're still having conversations. After James, yeah, I called a lot of guys just to say that we had interest. But I can't discuss names."

Maggette, however, confirmed yesterday he was one of those names.

"I was very surprised they called. They just came off a championship," said Maggette in a phone interview.

Posey averaged 7.4 points and 4.4 rebounds off the bench last season, his first with Boston. He opted out of the second year of his two-year contract Monday to become an unrestricted free agent.

When asked how soon he hopes to lock in Posey, Ainge said, "I really don't know. My life would be a lot easier if I knew the answer to that."

Neither Ainge nor Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstein, would confirm the Celtics made Posey an offer.

Bartelstein said "a lot of people are interested" in his client. An NBA source said the Wizards are "very interested" in Posey, and could make an offer once their situation with marquee free agent Gilbert Arenas is settled. Other NBA sources said Cleveland and possibly the Clippers and New Orleans also could be interested. Posey was not available for comment.

When asked if Posey would visit other teams, Bartelstein said, "Pose has been all over the league. He doesn't need to make any visits. Everyone in the league knows him."

Maggette averaged a team-best 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers last season. The 6-foot-6-inch, 228-pounder played for Celtics coach Doc Rivers in Orlando during the 1999-2000 season.

"It's a great honor to even hear from them," Maggette said. "Hopefully, I can look at some of the options. That's a good option playing for those guys."

Maggette opted out of the final year of his contract that would have paid $7 million next season. While an NBA source said Maggette's management has asked the Clippers for a contract starting at $11 million next season, he said he could be willing to take a pay cut for Boston.

"It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

The Celtics hope to sign a veteran backup point guard to a one-year, veteran minimum contract, an NBA source said. Candidates include Eddie House, who would return for a second season with Boston, Dallas's Tyronn Lue, Orlando's Keyon Dooling, Miami's Jason Williams, and Chicago's Chris Duhon. Lue, a 10-year veteran, played for Rivers in Orlando and is good friends with Celtics forward Kevin Garnett, but he said he hasn't contacted either since the offer was made to his agent, Andy Miller.

"I just want to play for a winning team," said Lue in a phone interview. "Boston is definitely a winning team. I'm trying to see what the best fit is for me."

The Celtics have had interest in Andersen since he was reinstated by the NBA and the players union March 4 after serving a two-year ban for violating the league's substance abuse policy. The athletic 6-11, 228-pounder returned to his former team, the Hornets, and played in five games.

Andersen, who has also played for the Nuggets, has averaged 5 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 1.3 blocks over his six-year career.

The Celtics also have other free agents in guards Tony Allen and Sam Cassell, forward-center P.J. Brown (who is expected to retire), and center Scot Pollard. Cassell has said he hopes to play one more season with Boston before becoming an a.ssistant coach with the Celtics in 2009-10.

Allen became an unrestricted free agent Monday when the Celtics declined to make him a qualifying offer.

Ainge, however, said Boston could still bring him back. When asked if the addition of draft picks J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker would affect Boston's interest in Allen, Ainge said, "Time will tell. Those guys haven't done anything yet."

"I had a good conversation with Tony and I a.ssured Tony that this doesn't necessarily close the book for him here," Ainge said. "We like Tony. He's just moving forward in his career. If things might not work out with James or other free agents, Tony would be a guy that we'd be interested in returning to the Celtics."
 07-02-2008, 03:26 PM         #305
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Perkins, Walker Have Successful Surgeries

The Boston Celtics announced Wednesday that center Kendrick Perkins and second round draft pick Bill Walker both had successful surgical procedures today at New England Baptist Hospital.

Perkins underwent arthroscopic left shoulder surgery while Walker underwent arthroscopic right knee surgery.

Both surgeries were preformed by team physician Dr. Brian McKeon and was a.ssisted by Dr. Alan Curtis and Dr. John Richmond. No timetable has been set for their returns.
 07-04-2008, 11:09 AM         #306
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Rivers gives Maggette call

A day after talking with Celtics coach Doc Rivers, a longtime family friend, Clippers free agent forward Corey Maggette said he is seriously considering an offer to join the NBA champions.

Maggette said he is still in awe about being contacted by the Celtics and has been mulling over their contract offer as well as interest from several other teams.

An NBA source said the Celtics offered Magette the full midlevel exception, expected to be worth $5.8 million.

The Celtics have made offers to their own forward, James Posey, and Maggette, but it's doubtful they can accommodate both. While there is no news regarding Posey, Maggette said he could be coming to Boston in the near future to visit with the Celtics. Free agents can't sign until Wednesday.

"I don't want to hold the Celtics up or [general manager] Danny Ainge," said Maggette in a telephone interview. "I talked to Doc . . . I'm not going to hold them up. I know they are still looking at James Posey. But I'm still weighing my options."

Maggette averaged a team-best 22.1 points as well as 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers last season. The 6-foot-6-inch, 228-pounder played for Rivers in Orlando during the 1999-2000 season.

Maggette said Rivers, his fellow Chicago native, called Wednesday.

"We shot the breeze," said Maggette. "He asked about my family. My mom went to the same high school [as Rivers]. My family has known his family for a long time. I'm very comfortable with him."

Even with Maggette's scoring ability, he would be expected to come off the bench with Boston behind All-Star wing players Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Maggette said he would have no problems with a reserve role.

"I don't mind," he said. "If you want to win, you have to make sacrifices. With their caliber of players, that's what you have to do.

"Going to a championship team would be exciting to me. Going to a team that can win and has tradition is exciting."

The Clippers aren't expected to re-sign Maggette after they landed free agent guard Baron Davis Tuesday with a five-year, $65 million contract. But if Golden State gets Clippers free agent forward Elton Brand, the Clippers could have a change of heart regarding Maggette. Clippers owner Donald Sterling is a big fan of Maggette. Other teams interested in Maggette include the Spurs, 76ers, Warriors, Hornets, Magic, Jazz, and Cavaliers.

As for the Clippers' situation, Maggette said, "I'll know soon. If not, that's the nature of the business and I'll move on. If not, I'll definitely want to call to thank [Clippers] coach Mike Dunleavy and [GM] Elgin Baylor and let them know I appreciated my eight years there."

Maggette was a teammate of Celtics free agent guard Sam Cassell with the Clippers from 2005-08. They recently shared some Celtics talk.

"He said to come out to get a ring," Maggette said.

On the Posey front, agent Mark Bartelstein and the Celtics have declined to go into detail about contract terms.

The Lakers, Washington, New Orleans, Cleveland, and Orlando are among the teams expected to be interested in Posey.

An NBA source said the Celtics offered Posey a three-year, $12 million contract, but a team official denied it.

"There is a lot of interest," Bartelstein said. "We'll work through it and get to a conclusion."

An NBA source said the Celtics surprisingly worked out Blazers free agent small forward Darius Miles yesterday and he had an impressive workout. Miles missed last season while recovering from knee surgery.

Bartelstein added there was no news regarding another Celtics client, guard Eddie House.

Meanwhile, the Celtics have been taking a strong look at backup centers.

They met with Hornets free agent Chris Andersen the past two days before he returned to his offseason home in Denver.

Andersen is still drawing interest from New Orleans, as well as Golden State and Houston. The Celtics are expected to contact his agent, Steve Heumann, early next week. Andersen plans to go to Las Vegas at month's end to work out with renowned trainer Joe Abunassar, who also handles several other NBA players, including Maggette and Kevin Garnett.

The Celtics worked out Pacers free agent center David Harrison and Timberwolves free agent swingman Kirk Snyder yesterday. The 7-foot, 280-pound Harrison averaged 4.2 points, 2.1 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks in 12.8 minutes per game last season. Snyder averaged 7.3 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 1.8 a.ssists with Houston and Minnesota.

"It's a great opportunity when the world champs call you to work out," Harrison said in a telephone interview. "They see something in me. It's an honor to work out for them."

Today, Boston is scheduled to work out Golden State free agent center Patrick O'Bryant, who recently met with the Heat. The 7-foot, 260-pounder was the ninth pick in the 2006 NBA draft and averaged 1.5 points, 1.2 rebounds, and 0.4 blocks in 4.1 minutes per game last season.

The Celtics' rookie free agent camp, which includes guard Gabe Pruitt, forward Glen Davis, and free agents, concludes today at the team's Waltham training facility. Former Oklahoma State forward Aaron Pettway sprained his right ankle, and it's uncertain if he'll play today.
 07-14-2008, 07:13 AM         #307
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Posey decision near?

Celtics forward James Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstien, said Sunday that there could be "something" contract-wise for his client on Monday. Bartelstien would not divulge the interested teams, but an NBA source said that the Hornets seem to be Boston's main competition. The Celtics seem willing to give Posey the full $5.5 mid-level exception, but it seems doubtful that it will be offered more than two years. The 31-year-old seems interested in getting a four-year deal. Other teams potentially interested in Posey include Detroit, Washington and Cleveland
 9 years ago '05        #308
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
Posey is gone...........

We better not sign that bum Miles
 9 years ago '07        #309
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306
i hope we dont sign Miles too, and i dont really want tony allen back here. we need to get House signed, then look at some more FA's. Whos still available?
 07-17-2008, 12:00 PM         #310
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Well, now what?

The Green had to make the first tough decision of the offseason, opting not to offer a full four years to James Posey, who signed a four-year, $25 million deal with New Orleans. The Celtics will miss Posey's defense, his outside shooting, and all the other extras (playoff experience and man hugs, for starters). As the Globe's Bob Ryan said recently, "There's only one James Posey."

However, he's now a Hornet, and the Celtics have to fill his shoes. They still hold their full mid-level exception -- $5.5 million for next season -- so the question is this: Who will they add?

Here are some available players who could replace Posey in the Celtics' rotation:

Tony Allen, G/F, Boston. A free agent, he's one year removed from knee surgery. He's athletic and a good defender, but is he ready for a larger role?
Matt Barnes, SF, Golden State. A hustle guy who will bring energy first, and a decent offensive game second. Barnes drifted around, then found a place with the Warriors. Was it a flash in the pan, or is the 28-year-old hitting his prime?

Maurice Evans, SG, Orlando. Small but a super athlete, Evans is a decent rebounder and likes to throw down on the break. He's not smooth or long, but he could add another dimension to the C's attack.

Ryan Gomes, SF, Minnesota. Gomes back in green? He's a restricted free agent, meaning the Wolves will have seven days to match any offer, and he'll likely command the full mid-level exception. The son of Waterbury, Conn., and Providence College was just as popular in Minny as he was in Boston, averaging 12.6 points and 5.8 boards while hustling and playing all over the floor.

Michael Finley, SG, San Antonio. He's getting up there in years (will turn 36 in March) but he can still make buckets in crunch time. He finally got his ring with the Spurs in 2007.

Devean George, SF, Dallas. He was a good defender off the bench for the three-peat Lakers, but he can't do much offensively.

Bostjan Nachbar, SF, New Jersey. The Slovenian won't bring the same defense that Posey did, but he owns a nice stroke and likes to run the floor.

Bonzi Wells, SF, New Orleans. He looks to be out in NO now that Posey's in. An intriguing option -- he can score and crash the boards, but what's left in the tank? He had an awful 2006-07, then somewhat of a resurgence last year. Not a great free-throw shooter.

Robert Swift, C, Oklahoma City. Just kidding, folks.
 9 years ago '05        #311
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
from celticsblog

PGs:
K. Dooling 6-3 28
C. Arroyo 6-2 29
E. House 6-1 30
J. Pargo 6-1 29
S. Livingston 6-7 23
S. Cassell 6-3 39
K. Ollie 6-2 36
J. Williams 6-1 33
D. Armstrong 6-1 40

Wings:
Q. Ross 6-6 27
M. Evans 6-5 30
T. Allen 6-4 26
B. Wells 6-5 32
G. Girecek 6-6 31
M. Finley 6-7 35
M. Barnes 6-7 28
R. Davis 6-7 29
D. Jones 6-6 28
I. Newble 6-7 33
D. George 6-8 31

Bigs:
A. Mourning 6-10 38 - REHAB UNTIL MID/LATE WINTER
K. Thomas 6-9 36
R. Horry 6-10 38
K. Brown 6-11 26
M. Ely 6-10 30
F. Elson 7-0 32
C. Andersen 6-10 30
B. Skinner 6-9 32
T. Ratliff 6-10 35
M. Doleac 6-11 31
 9 years ago '06        #312
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
$14,081 | Props total: 39 39

Tony Allen and Eddie House are staying in the fold.

According to Danny Ainge, the Celtics have agreed to terms with each on two-year contracts.

Ainge would not be specific on the financial figures, but according to a source, both are being paid in the mid-$2 million range.

In the case of House, the money is roughly half the mid-level exception of $5.585 million.

The Celtics did not have to use any of the mid-level on Allen, because he has been with the club four years and the team thus has his ďBird rights.Ē

Teams are allowed to pay to keep their own free agents who have been with the club three years.
:applause::applause::applause: Now Trade Scal/Big Baby/Pick for someone decent, and we gooood

& Still got more than half of our MLE left. I'm starting to not give a fu*k bout Pose

Last edited by Soraci7; 07-21-2008 at 10:25 AM..
 9 years ago '07        #313
space
space
 KSoraci7 said:

:applause::applause::applause: Now Trade Scal/Big Baby/Pick for someone decent, and we gooood

& Still got more than half of our MLE left. I'm starting to not give a fu*k bout Pose
i like getting House back, not so much TA. and why trade Big Baby? he was good last year when he got minutes. plus no one is going to take an unproven player (baby), Scal and a pick and give someone up whos decent.

keep Big Baby and Powe and watch them dominate in a few years.
 9 years ago '05        #314
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
 keithbm1111 said:
i like getting House back, not so much TA. and why trade Big Baby? he was good last year when he got minutes. plus no one is going to take an unproven player (baby), Scal and a pick and give someone up whos decent.

keep Big Baby and Powe and watch them dominate in a few years.
Baby, Scal and a 2nd rounder for Ariza....:sick: making a deal with the devil
 9 years ago '06        #315
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
Ariza isn't even worth that trash tho. We already have enough wings as it is. Baby and Powe are duplicates in height and position, with Leon being the better of the 2 in every facet. I just feel baby has a ceiling considering his lack of vertical and atheleticism. i think we can trade him along with a pick and scala as a salary filler and get back a bigger PF to clog the paint. Somebody like Chris Wilcox would be ideal to get back in a trade like that.

Considering we also have half of the MLE left(around 3mill) i wouldn't mind going after Kurt Thomas to help on the boards. We need that other veteran presence downlow.

Last edited by Soraci7; 07-21-2008 at 01:30 PM..
 9 years ago '06        #316
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
*crickets*:sick:
 9 years ago '06        #317
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
New JR Giddens Interview via Nba.com

With the questions about his past lingering in the minds of many as he enters his first season, Boston Celtics rookie two-guard J.R. Giddens could be bitter. But the first-round pick breathes life into a cliche: He really is "just happy to be here."

At the 2008 Rookie Photo Shoot in Tarrytown, N.Y. on July 30, Giddens' energy was infectious. He never stopped smiling, and couldn't travel from point A to point B without kicking a move from an apparently endless supply of dance steps, all in time to the pulsing, window-rattling hip-hop bass beats spun by the house DJ.

But the New Mexico graduate will bring more than energy to Boston. His athleticism -- he averaged 8.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game last season as a guard -- and scoring touch (16.3 PPG, .516 FG%) are renowned, but Giddens knows where he can make his initial impact in Beantown: on defense. The aftershocks will likely come in interview sessions, because the kid reeled off the day's funniest quote.

It might be difficult to crack the rotation when joining a World Champion, but don't get down -- Giddens is loving every minute of this. Check the Q&A for proof:

NBA.com: Howís your summer been going, man?
J.R. Giddens: Itís been going great, really. Iím working out every day, trying to get bigger and stronger and get myself prepared to step in and help these guys win some ballgames.

NBA.com: They did a good job of that last season, ha.
J.R. Giddens: Yeah, I think they did very well last season. [Laughs] World champs, best record in the league and a great defensive team. So thatís my mindset Ė just get bigger, stronger, faster so I can come out and help these guys on the defensive end.

NBA.com: Thatís got to be exciting joining the champs. What are you looking forward to about being a part of that squad?
J.R. Giddens: Just learning from all those guys. Theyíre world champions, and obviously, the organizationís top of the line, with them accomplishing what they did. Just trying to be a sponge, soak up everything. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are great guards, and I play guard, so Iím trying to learn from those guys, KG, Doc and just make myself the best basketball player. Thatís what the dream is.

NBA.com: Have you gotten to speak with any of those guys?
J.R. Giddens: No, I havenít got the chance to speak with anybody yet, but Iím very excited. Iím looking forward to it because those guys are my heroes. I was just watching them (wide-eyed) a couple of months ago like, ďKG! Ray Allen! Paul Pierce!Ē Now Iím going to be in the same locker room, playing with them. Itís gonna be amazing, man.

NBA.com: Have you been in contact with any other teammates?
J.R. Giddens: I havenít been in contact with them. Iím pretty sure theyíre celebrating or getting their things together. I havenít even signed yet, so Iím just a rookie coming in, trying to find his way.

NBA.com: What do you think will be the biggest adjustment for you?
J.R. Giddens: Just the speed of the game and the level of play. Itís going to be a high level of play Ė itís the NBA. The guys are very skilled, athletic and have a high basketball IQs, so Iím pretty sure everythingís going to be faster, more physical. Though I donít know if itís going to be more physical than college just because youíve got all those bruising practices and in the games they let you touch a lot more. Itís just going to be a big learning experience.

NBA.com: You said you were working to get bigger, faster, stronger Ė is there anything youíve been focusing on in your game?
J.R. Giddens: Just shooting a lot of free throws and a lot of jumpers. In the summertime, this is when you add a little bit to your game, like Jordan and Kobe coming back with the new patent move. And if my jump shotís not there, just make sure my jump shotís clicking. Working on everything, man.

NBA.com: So whatís the new move coming out for this year?
J.R. Giddens: The new one coming out, itís gonna be called [Here he looks side-to-side, then leans in conspiratorially] ďthe defensive slide.Ē Thatís how Iím going to earn minutes, playing defense, so Iíll just be defensive sliding. Thatís my new move.

NBA.com: Did you get the chance to play in Summer League?
J.R. Giddens: I didnít get the chance to play in Summer League. I kind of wanted to. I was very anxious to get out there, seeing everyone play on TV. I just had to be patient and wait my turn. Iíll get to play soon. Right now, Iím just making sure everythingís up to speed by game day, so Iím working every day.

NBA.com: What are you planning on doing for the rest of the summer?
J.R. Giddens: Probably just hang out in Oklahoma and California. My familyís from Oklahoma, I went to school in New Mexico and I train out there in California. So just train all those places, handle my business and like I said, work on my game, try to get bigger every day. Because right now with our schedules, weíre training so much that youíve got to get in the gym and lift wherever youíre at. This is what you do now. You donít have go to school, you donít have to do all this, you just have to play basketball.

NBA.com: With all the travel, whatís a place thatís made an impression on you?
J.R. Giddens: I went to the Celtics practice facility and was out there in Waltham, where they trained at and lifted and did all the hard work that was put into (their championship). Thatís probably the most exciting place that Iíve seen besides being on first-class airplanes and seeing cities. They had the new banner up there and you can feel all the tradition from the banners and the organization. That was the best for me.

NBA.com: You mentioned the first-class flights Ė does it feel like life has changed?
J.R. Giddens: It really does feel like life has changed. In New Mexico, I was 23, I had a LoboCard. I didnít even have a credit or debit card, Iím eating in our student union building. Now I can eat a couple more places, do a couple more things. Itís lovely, man. A dream come true.

NBA.com: Are any family or friends coming with you to Boston?
J.R. Giddens: Iím gonna have one of my female cousins move out there with me. She was my best friend growing up; weíre really close. She wants to get away from Oklahoma. Itís something new, sheís a year younger than me. Sheíll come out there and cook for me. Itíll be good to have family near me.

NBA.com: What are you looking forward to most about starting your first NBA season?
J.R. Giddens: I donít know what to look forward to. Iím a kid in a candy store, and I have a BAD sweet tooth. So I donít know where to run, I donít know what to do. I just know wherever the path chooses for me to go, Iím gonna try to stay on it.
Giddens preaching D as his main focus already makes him a better prospect than what Gerald Green was in his short stay I'm having high hopes for dude, especially since he averaged 8.8rpg for a guard in college, he can shoot, and i don't even wanna get into his dunks

Last edited by Soraci7; 08-01-2008 at 03:24 PM..
 08-17-2008, 12:10 PM         #318
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Giddens agrees to Celtics deal

Celtics draft pick J.R. Giddens agreed to a two-year guaranteed deal with an option for another two years with the club on Thursday. The 30th overall pick in the first round of this year's NBA Draft will begin working out in Waltham at the team's training facility next week. The former New Mexico star averaged 16.3 points and 8.8 rebounds as a senior last season. The Celtics also still have a second round pick that's unsigned in guard Bill Walker.
"He's pretty darn excited to be a part of their team," said Aaron Mintz, Gidden's agent.
 9 years ago '06        #319
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space

Click here to find out more!
Text size: increase text sizedecrease text size
Cassell says he'll become Celtics a.ssistant after 2008-09 season
Baltimore native plans to exercise option to join Boston coaching staff

By Annie Linskey |
6:13 PM EDT, September 10, 2008

Baltimore native and three-time NBA champion Sam Cassell said today he plans to become an a.ssistant coach with the Boston Celtics after playing one more season.

Cassell, a 38-year-old guard who was part of the Celtics' title run this year, told a reporter about his plans shortly before speaking at a City Hall news conference. "This is my last year playing with the Celtics," he said. "Next week, I'll sign the contract."

After finishing the 2008-09 season, he plans to exercise an option to join the coaching staff. "I am playing this year," he said. "After that, I have the option to do coaching for them."

Celtics spokesman Brian Olive declined to comment.

Cassell appeared on Wednesday with Mayor Sheila Dixon for an announcement that the 200 block of North Montford Street -- where Cassell grew up -- will be renamed in his honor on Saturday. "That is the biggest honor," he said. "That is never going away."

He said he often hears negative stories about Baltimore and criticized The Wire for portraying a view of the city that overemphasized crime and the illegal drug trade. "The Wire is a TV show," he said. "It is real, but it is not real."

At the news conference, Dixon said she was thankful Cassell reached out to her during a difficult time. "I was under some stress that I felt at the moment," Dixon said. "Sam called me. We didn't talk but he left me a message." She did not specify when he called.

The street will be renamed at a Parade of Champions event that starts at 2 p.m. at Patterson Park. Also expected at the event are Carmelo Anthony of the Denver Nuggets, former Atlanta Falcons safety Keion Carpenter and former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Antonio Freeman.
Looks like fu*k-face is baccccckk. Don't really get the coaching move after, but whatever. Pruitt isn't ready for backup, and if Rondo got injured we'd be fu*ked at pg.
 9 years ago '07        #320
space
space
I think Giddens has some potential to be good, i'll give him a few years, and he should be good to go. i like our young guys, Powe, big Baby, Giddens, Rondo...can't wait til tip off, gonna be another good year. and i like have Sam back too, solid backup
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
35 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
120 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
87 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
100 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
320 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
123 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in Ďgrisly maulingí
171 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Death of Barry Sherman (Apotex founder) and his wife, December 15, 2017
21 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy