The Official Boston Celtics Thread

most viewed right now
+56  49
63 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

11 years ago '07        #226
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,334 | Props total: 448 448
they would worry me, but im confident the celts would win

11 years ago '06        #227
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
$14,087 | Props total: 47 47
 wisdom558 said
u dont mind seeing the wizards as a 8th seed?

cuz once caron and gil show back up u in the playoffs u guys might as well pack ur bags

its going to be the new G-state vs. mavs 08:applause:

I don't think anybody cares about who the 8th seed is besides a fan of whoever's team is f!ghting for the #8 spot. The Sixers are better than you

03-12-2008, 03:31 PM         #228
CaLLaHaN  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

03-12-2008, 03:31 PM         #229
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What is this?

Boston can/most likely will beat any team in a series.

11 years ago '07        #230
space
space
i wish i was as confident as you guys. you do remember washington is the only team that owns us this year right? i still think the c's would k!ll them but that thoughts gonna be in my head

11 years ago '06        #231
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
I'm just being honest when i'm saying this is the first time i have even thought about the 1st round all season

03-12-2008, 03:37 PM         #232
TimeIsMoney  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Detroit will sh*t on Boston come playoff time.

03-28-2008, 04:02 PM         #233
The Greatest!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
LEMME KNOW Bx!!!

11 years ago '04        #234
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,935 | Props total: 5105 5105
Yes, but they'd be winning the West by a much smaller margin

11 years ago '05        #235
MadGam325 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,220 | Props total: 6 6
Yep, but by no more than 2 to 4 games

11 years ago '06        #236
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
The record v.s western conf. teams speaks for itself. check it out sometime

11 years ago '06        #237
Trap$tar 8 heat pts
space
space
$12,612 | Props total: 5019 5019
 KSoraci7 said
Yeah I was just going to say the same thing. I think they only lost like 4 or 5 times against the west.

03-28-2008, 04:22 PM         #238
The Greatest!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KSoraci7 said
they r not playin the west the majority of the time. im talkin every other game.

03-28-2008, 04:23 PM         #239
The Infamous  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wouldnt matter they wouldnt reach the finals either way

11 years ago '04        #240
franchise 61 heat pts61
space
space
$7,975 | Props total: 845 845
kg was injured for a while. theyd be in contention. but not at the top.

11 years ago '06        #241
Gd_UP 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,590 | Props total: 160 160
I dont think they would be at the top, but maybe.

the real x-factor is that - even though their record vs the west is very good - playing a western schedule would mean playing these teams much more often giving the celts less time no rest. I mean rest as in if you play the Heat or the knicks 12 times or whatever in a season thats 12 games to rest. You dont get that much in the west.

11 years ago '04        #242
casper 1 heat pts
space
space
$14,753 | Props total: 2 2
i doubt it...but to be honest i have no idea who would be in first

11 years ago '04        #243
Magnolia 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,444 | Props total: 380 380
detroit is takin out boston in playoffs dont get excited bostons fans

11 years ago '08        #244
MAKAVELI2199 17 heat pts17
space
space
$5,386 | Props total: 196 196
^ lol you sure about that?

11 years ago '05        #245
Junior G 117 heat pts117
space
space
$54,710 | Props total: 8049 8049
8:30

Celtics - 1 .......... Hawks - 0

04-21-2008, 01:37 PM         #246
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
How good is Boston, really?

A lot better than you might think. Most observers look at the East and see the Celtics as a really good team who may or may not get past Detroit in the conference finals.

Wake up, folks -- this is one of the best teams of all time, and you might be surprised how easily they roll through the playoffs. I realize this is raining on the parade a bit since everybody is so jacked up about the competition in store this postseason, but I have to warn you there's a chance the Celtics are just going to flat-out destroy everybody.

Boston went 66-16, one of the best marks in league history, but even that mark sells the Celtics short. At 10.3 points per game, they had the scoring margin of a 70-win team. That scoring margin is better than all but three teams since the ABA-NBA merger, and those teams all had Michael Jordan. By contrast, last season the Spurs had a scoring margin of 7.8 ppg, and that was easily the best mark in the league.

Here's the real crazy part: their numbers were this good even though they coasted the final month and a half! Kevin Garnett didn't play 40 minutes in a game after March 5; he averaged 31.9 minutes in March and 25.4 in April. For Paul Pierce, it was 32.6 and 27.4; for Ray Allen, it was 31.2 and 29.0. Plus, each of them skipped two April games just to freshen up.

They have the three stars, yes, but they also play suffocating defense -- the Celts had one of best defensive seasons of all time, in fact (we'll get into that more as we get deeper into the playoffs). Meanwhile, a bench that was supposed to be a liability has instead kicked some serious butt, and the late-season addition of Sam Cassell added a crunch-time scorer to the mix.

The Western Conference is where all of the excitement and most of the quality resides, but I'd be very surprised if the West champs can beat Boston in the Finals ... and even more surprised if somebody besides Boston was their opponent.

04-23-2008, 01:07 PM         #247
DILLARDBOI5  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the celtics are probably the best stacked team talent wise in the nba

04-24-2008, 06:09 AM         #248
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

:applause:

04-28-2008, 01:05 PM         #249
s0uThSiDe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Award for 'Rajon the Late Bloomer'

"Rajon couldn't do anything right. He couldn't speak. He couldn't draw. He couldn't write. ... And then one day, Rajon could speak! He could draw! He could write!"

Sorry for bastardizing "Leo the Late Bloomer," one of my daughter's favorite bedtime stories and a true classic. But I couldn't help it. Not only has Rajon Rondo's belated emergence been the most fascinating subplot of a storybook Celtics season, but he's just like the character in that book. Like Leo, Rondo never spoke. Like Leo's father, Celts fans spent an inordinate amount of time wondering when Rondo would "draw" (in this case, play with consistency) or "write" (in this case, bang home open jumpers). Leo had patient parents who believed in him; Rondo had veterans such as Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, role models who provided the confidence and toughness he desperately needed, eventually springing him from his on-court shell and altering the course of his career. We always hear about the value of young teams adding veterans, but after watching the effects over the course of an 82-game season, it's probably impossible to exaggerrate the importance of polished, professional, competitive, proven veterans on young guys who don't know what the hell they're doing.

It's the little things that made the trades for Garnett and Allen (and to a lesser extent, the pick-ups of Sam Cassell, James Posey and P.J. Brown) so successful and altered the careers of Rondo, Leon Powe, "Big Baby" Davis and Kendrick Perkins. They're everyday moments that go beyond KG crouching over Powe after a dunk and happily punching him in the chest. For instance, my father read a story about Rondo watching last Saturday's playoff games at Allen's house and critiquing the point guards with him. Let's say Seattle never traded Allen and the Celtics were coming off another 24-58 season. What do you think Rondo would have done Saturday? Would he have been planted in front of a plasma studying those games, or would he have been headed to the Bahamas or Vegas with some buddies? Think of young NBA players like "only-children" and it makes more sense -- yeah, you can turn out fine when you're an "only-child," but it's much easier if you have three older brothers giving you advice, looking out for you, molding you and believing in you.

From Boston's game against Detroit on Dec.19 to Game 2 of the Atlanta series Wednesday -- two home games that I attended -- the difference in Rondo's on-court demeanor was remarkable. Old Rondo carried himself like a little brother who didn't want to screw things up for his big brothers, someone who had confidence in his athletic ability and little else. He never talked on the court, never bi*ched at the referees, never changed his expression and seemed like an odd fit for a particularly charismatic group of Celtics, somewhat of an enigma, the wild-card youngster for the season. When Chauncey Billups abused him in the second half of an eventual defeat, I remember walking back to my father's house in 10-degree weather and deciding the Celtics couldn't win a title with such a green point guard; they probably had a more realistic chance of prevailing in 2009. But Rondo kept getting better and better through the winter, and there was a pivotal moment in March when Rafer Alston got physical with him on the opening tip and Rondo belted him back, then defiantly stood his ground, ready to trade punches in a nationally televised road game. Watching from home, I remember thinking, "He made it! He's all grown up!"

So, seeing Rondo thrive in Game 2 wasn't a total surprise, although it's a little weird seeing him control the tempo, bang home open jumpers, bark orders at teammates (at one point, he screamed at Pierce like an angry housewife), badly outplay Mike Bibby for the second straight game and openly relish the moment when the crowd chanted "Rondo's better!" at Bibby (who drew their ire for calling them "bandwagon" fans after Game 1). Even more surprisingly, the stands were littered with No. 9 jerseys -- not as many as No. 5, No. 20 or No. 34, but enough that you'd notice, nearly all of the No. 9s belonging to young kids and teenagers. His relatively sudden emergence as a fan favorite brings back memories of a pre-Eva Tony Parker, another late first-rounder who lucked into an ideal situation, improved mightily in his sophomore season and played a pivotal role for San Antonio's 2003 team ... only he couldn't get it done every game, which made Speedy Claxton's contributions so crucial that spring. (Remember, Parker was just shaky enough that the Spurs pulled out every stop to sign Jason Kidd that summer.) Playing for the same stakes on a similar team, Rondo is further ahead of the '03 Parker, which gives you an indication of his potential and where he's sitting already. Whether Sam Cassell has to pull a Speedy to save a few games remains to be seen.

After getting clocked by Chauncey Billups in December, Rondo has developed into a tough cookie.
Did I see any of this coming? Actually, yes. Rondo played so well in the 2006-07 preseason that I stupidly picked him for "Rookie of the Year," bought a seat in the front row of the bandwagon, then broke three ribs when it careened off the Mass Pike on opening night. Poor Rondo didn't have the most fun rookie campaign, struggling with nerves in the first few games, getting his minutes stupidly yanked around, landing in Iverson trade rumors for a few weeks, getting his minutes stupidly yanked around some more and finally earning extended playing time in the last weeks of a lost season. By the summer, it was clear the Celtics had something -- they just didn't know what -- and when old friend Kevin McHale insisted on Rondo being included in the Garnett deal, Celtics GM Danny Ainge held his ground and refused. Nine months later, Rondo's a potential All-Star and the X factor of this playoff run. Amazing ... but not really.

Again, you can't exaggerate the impact of veterans here, something that surfaced in Game 2 as a central theme -- the Celtics were furious about a hard foul that briefly sent Pierce to the locker room in the first half, so they spent the second half banging bodies, doling out retaliatory clotheslines, talking trash and intimidating the young Hawks in every way possible. TCIKG (The Completely Insane Kevin Garnett) was leading the way, as always, and other than Al Horford (a tough cookie who's going to be great), none of the young Hawks seemed interested in escalating things, getting each other's backs, sticking up for themselves, responding or even making eye contact with TCIKG. If anything, they went the other direction -- I think poor Marvin Williams peed his pants at one point. And if Rondo had been drafted by the Hawks two years ago, he would have been right there with them: Looking like a deer in the headlights, just waiting to get the hell out of Dodge.

Instead, Rajon/Leo was doing as much woofing, glaring and posing as everyone else. After one of the 47 times when two Celtics tag-teamed a Hawk (in this case, Horford) for a hard foul, right as Horford was stumbling away and rubbing his head, he made the mistake of nearly walking into Rondo and took an elbow for his troubles, followed by Rondo whirling around and staring him down. Who knew? I thought Rondo might make it through an entire career without uttering a word -- now he's strutting around like Clint Eastwood. Which brings me back to my point: Basketball careers might hinge on talent and desire, but circumstance plays a much bigger role than most people realize. Would James Worthy have become "Big Game James" if the Lakers had drafted Dominique Wilkins over him in 1982? What would have happened to Wilkins if he had played with Magic Johnson for his entire career? Would Robert Parish have made the NBA's "50 at 50" list if the Celtics hadn't rescued him from the Warriors? What would have happened to Parker if the Spurs signed Kidd that summer? And so on and so on.

In Rondo's case, there are two great "What ifs?": What if the KG and Allen trades never happened? And what if Phoenix had just drafted him in 2006 instead of selling the pick? Would Rondo have been better off or worse off in Phoenix backing up Nash? We'll never know, just like we'll never know if he would have matured into a potential All-Star without Garnett and company. But we do know what we see, and here's what we see: someone who has noticeably improved as a shooter and a leader, someone who has emerged as an elite defender, someone with a real chance to recreate the numbers from Fat Lever's prime sooner than later. The best thing you could say about Rajon Rondo is he brings a lot of stuff to the table and doesn't take much off it. The second best thing you could say is he's lucky enough to have influential teammates sitting at that same table. Regardless, I'm giving him the "Leo the Late Bloomer" Award for Round 1.

11 years ago '07        #250
space
space
They need to stop fu*king around and take the Hawks out

Home      

most viewed right now
+71online now  19
mom comes up with greatest punishment of all time :mjlol:
100 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+61online now  16
Would you let Superhead give you top?
160 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  10
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Annoyed Baltimore Drivers Want City To Crack Down On 'Squeegee..
91 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  9
Image(s) inside Uh Oh: LA Rising Star BLUEFACE Got BOOED OFF STAGE & MIC CUT OFF AT Uz..
121 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+183online now  7
Image(s) inside Woman sh-ts on ALL Men Under 6 feet tall then gets Ethered
179 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+22online now  7
Video inside What is "Brain Hacking"? Tech insiders on why you should care
33 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  5
Video inside Thick chick lifting weights in the GYM!!!!!
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+19online now  4
Image(s) inside You bout to smash then you see this...
95 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy