jason whitlock's take on the wire

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
34 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
105 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
232 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Big Baller Brand Shoe Review
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10-17-2006, 11:13 AM         #1
7563 pageviews
20 comments

dapasswordis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
jason whitlock's take on the wire

jus 4 the record, i am no jason whitlock fan...i can't believe i agree with something he has 2 say. others have compared him 2 clarence thomas...and sometimes i am incline 2 agree, but he is on point with this forthright commentary...

America, it seems, takes great satisfaction and perverse pleasure in watching black people battle systematic disenfranchisement imposed by white people.

We apparently have little interest in watching or learning about how black people participate in their own disenfranchisement.

Yes, this is AOL Sports, but I told you at the outset that Real Talk would stray into more important areas than sports. We want to be a vehicle for change, a place that sets the standard for honest, intelligent conversation about the issues that separate us.

Today I want to talk about my favorite TV show – "The Wire" – because it chronicles a self-imposed enslavement, and it’s being ignored by viewers and the Emmys. Worse, David Simon’s powerful HBO series about black youth caught in America’s war on drugs and our collective indifference to the bloodshed has sparked little healthy conversation.

"The Wire" details a genocide in poor black communities that in some ways is much sadder than anything in Haley’s epic. Roots focused on Kunta Kinte’s legacy of f!ghting back against the oppressor. The Wire meticulously details that political forces, black and white, work in conjunction with what I like to call the new Ku Klux Klan (black gangstas) to keep black youth uneducated, strung out, parent-less and unprepared for a life that doesn’t include prison bars and a same-s3x life partner.

Like Haley’s Roots, Simon’s Wire, especially season 4, should be hailed on the cover of Time, analyzed on Nightline and discussed on Oprah’s couch.

Instead, we’re ignoring it because black people are embarrassed by it and still think the solution to our problems is the responsibility of a white daddy. White people are ignoring the discussion because they don’t want to appear racist and they don’t want the responsibility of fixing a problem they acknowledge white racism created but they know has a black-led-and-created solution.

It’s on us. Begging white people to give us jobs and wallowing in victimhood won’t stop black men from going to jail at an alarming rate or slow incredible divorce and child-illegitimacy rates or improve our performance in school.

If begging white people to take care of us worked, Jesse Jackson would be president and Michael Jackson would be the First Lady.

What will work is a sea of change in black American culture. We’ve lost our inner Kunta Kinte. Too many young (under 45) black men and women are on the payroll of the new Ku Klux Klan. Oh, Klan wages are high. A talented rapper can make a fortune sucking on the N-word like a Tic Tac at an onion buffet and promoting crack dealing to single black mothers. And TV networks are passing out phat contracts to black men and women willing to Flavor Flav and Nat X for dollars.

But just because I understand the temptation doesn’t mean the submission to it is any less repulsive. The white guys under the white hoods succumbed to the exact same temptations. There’s money and power in exploiting the poor, selling self-hate to black people and maintaining a permanent underclass.

What I don’t understand is why we’re disturbed by white Klansmen and unmoved by black ones.

It’s like we went back to the future and awakened to a world where black people are the oppressors of black people – call it “Black To The Future.” The KKK used to ride in the middle of the night, snatch strong black men from their families and beat and/or lynch them.

In episode 5 of "The Wire," David Simon illustrated how the new black KKK operates much like the traditional Klan, snatching strong black men in the middle of the night. Chris and Snoop, enforcers for drug kingpin Marlo Stansfield, strolled down a dark alley to recruit Michael Lee, a natural leader, a good kid who looks out for his little brother. Chris made the sales pitch. Snoop backed it up with some intimidating words. And then Chris handed Michael money.

We don’t yet know which direction Michael will go. The season is only half over, but Simon has foreshadowed the inevitability of Michael’s decision. His mother is strung out on crack or heroin. At age 14, he’s already responsible for his little brother. One of his best friends, Namond Brice, is being raised by a mother who is forcing him to become a dope dealer and a behind-bars father who was a pathological k!ller for the old drug kingpin Avon Barksdale. Michael’s other best friend, Randy Wagstaff, lives with a foster mother and is prone to making horrible decisions in pursuit of money.

If you watch "The Wire" and understand the reality that’s being depicted, you’re forced to wonder why black people tolerate the hip hop music that celebrates and glorifies the drug-dealing and anti-education culture.

We’re celebrating our own genocide!

We’re promoting a culture that is destroying us!

I can’t believe we’re not watching and talking about "The Wire." It’s the most important TV show about the condition of disenfranchised American blacks since "Roots."

As comforting as it is to blame our woes on white people, we must break that debilitating habit and deal with our own contributions to our murder, divorce, incarceration and illegitimacy rates and our collective failure in school.

They are not byproducts of skin color. They’re a byproduct of a culture of self-hate. No doubt institutionalized racism ignited the American black culture of self-hate. Only we can stop it.

Stopping it begins with standing against the black KKK, the people turning a profit by selling black buffoonery and criminality. Stopping it begins with recognizing we truly control our destiny.

Stopping it begins with having a real discussion about what we’re doing to ourselves. "The Wire" is putting it out there for everyone to see. Why ignore it?

2006-10-13 13:58:24

20 comments for "jason whitlock's take on the wire"

11 years ago '04        #2
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,502 | Props total: 789 789
I've always liked Whitlock...he gets too much hate

he's absolutely right about black people dismissing the show just as the whites would

I told this dude to watch that sh*t and he was like nah he seen an ep before and it's just zzzzzzs selling drugs...the wire is too intelligent for the masses to understand including black people that want to be under the white man's wing.

if anyone else has majored in sociology or psychology you can testify to how many theories are on display on the show, especially this season...
 11 years ago '04        #3
greenshadi 
space
space
$846 | Props total: 0 0
It is also disburbing to me tha the Wire doesnt get the propz it deserves,, especially this season because it deals with how the kids become involved with drug dealing. Whitlock do make some valid points.
 11 years ago '04        #4
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
good read... i agree except about the lil shots at rap music

The Wire is the best TV show ever...
 10-17-2006, 01:46 PM         #5
what1985  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UknowWhatItIs said:

agreed The Wire>>>>>>>>>>everything else

still :finger: whitlock though
 11 years ago '04        #6
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,502 | Props total: 789 789
 Curtisimo said:
At the end of the day it's just a tv show that is thought provoking

I love the wire cuz it's thought provoking, I can relate to it and last bu tnot least it is entertaining

if n*ggaz dont feel like watching the wire cuz they rather watch football or flava of love on a sunday night let them be

The wire is not the bible of television or whatever its just a tv show
the point is people ignore it because of its general premise not because they'd rather watch flavor of love or football
 11 years ago '05        #7
G_M_D 
space
space
$1,678 | Props total: 24 24
The Wire is pure and utter Crack!!! I cant miss an ep and on the real Whitlock makes a few valid points but I cant totally agree with his a.ss-
 11 years ago '05        #8
whiz 
space
space
$1,052 | Props total: 0 0
i agree with the intellect of the show...most people (a lot of people) can't even follow it all cuz it's too well written and just so damn good...
well u got reality shows and daytime soaps for those kinda fu*ktards...

i'm glad the show is still up and running...god bless HBO and David Simon
 10-17-2006, 08:16 PM         #9
dapasswordis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Liquid-Science said:
...the wire is too intelligent for the masses to understand including black people...
:applause:

greenshadi said:
...especially this season because it deals with how the kids become involved with drug dealing.
that's somewhat true greenshadi, but note how they're portraying the kids having no role models whatsoever. this and many other factors steers the kids 2 selling drugs. look at how namond's mom didn't take the time 2 help him find a job, jus took him right 2 the corner. or how michael does everything 4 his little brother, whiles his parents sit around getting high. or dukie's folk stealing and selling his clothes. the list goes on and on...no role models 2 look up 2, 'cept the kats wit da loot.

Curtisimo said:
At the end of the day it's just a tv show that is thought provoking... ...The wire is not the bible of television or whatever its just a tv show
with all do respec 2 your opinion curtisimo, the wire is real life portrayed on tv. this show captures the very essence of many of the black neighborhoods n these united states of america. east st. louis is a prime example. have u ever been 2 baltimore, jus outside of the harbor. most of those aren't manufactured buildings on the show. nawlin's b4 and after katrina...i was there years prior 2 katrina and i could not believe people could live like that n this country...the worse i had eva seen and i've seen some areas not fit 4 roaches. the destitute living standards certainly put a lot of sh*t n2 perspective 4 me.

G_M_D said:
The Wire is pure and utter Crack!!!
:applause:

whiz said:
most people (a lot of people) can't even follow it all cuz it's too well written and just so damn good... ...god bless HBO and David Simon
as u know we r living n the internet, "usa today," & "cnn headline news" era. i am guilty of it 2...not making time 2 sit down and apply those brain cells. but when it comes 2 the greatest show i have eva seen n my life, i make time and don't call me when it's on.

respec
 10-17-2006, 08:41 PM         #10
FRESH HEFF  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
as u know we r living n the internet, "usa today," & "cnn headline news" era. i am guilty of it 2...not making time 2 sit down and apply those brain cells. but when it comes 2 the greatest show i have eva seen n my life, i make time and don't call me when it's on.

respec[/QUOTE]

YEA GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME IS RIGHT, NOTHING COMPARES.
 10-17-2006, 09:23 PM         #11
Da Infms  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Best show on TV... I just finished watching season 4 and now I gotta wait god-knows-how-long for Season 5... fu*k!
 11 years ago '04        #12
EOAE 60 heat pts60
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 283 283
^ fu*ked it up for yaself

but yeh, fu*k all that caring bout indepth, i jus watch the show cuz i like it.
 10-17-2006, 10:09 PM         #13
nyykid  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UknowWhatItIs said:

so what did you agree with?
 10-19-2006, 10:36 AM         #14
capone17067  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
amen wire is the best show HBO those idiots don't even want to bring it back for the 5th season. That is simon's last season planned of the show.
 11 years ago '04        #15
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
 nyykid said:
so what did you agree with?
"wat da fu*k u high n*gga"

i agree with it being the best and most important TV show probably ever
 11 years ago '04        #16
Tikyle2 4 heat pts
space
space
$4,771 | Props total: 1092 1092
I'm about to blast most of you n*ggaz out the water so if you sensitive stop reading now...............

*FLAME ON!*

Man Whitlock made an article about how this show is bigger than a show. How this show should spark conversation and change in OUR community yet you fools come in here and just say how you like the show. Man it's more than that. Why do you like the show? Cause they bust guns and hold down the crack game? Cause it makes you think? Cause you can relate to the life some are living in it? Man "The Wire" is more than just a f#$#$g show.

We need to realize this is probably the 1st and maybe only show that is going to depict the darkside of inpoverished black communities as well as mix in the politics and police work that go into creating and sustaining a community that poor. Yeah "The Corner" depicted some but it didn't get into the politics and the mindset of cops who care vs. those who just posture for politicians. This show is monumental and HBO can't even get a steady fanbase for it. That's why those that watch need to talk about it more and go in depth w/ it and not just say random sh*t like:

"Yo The Wire is CRACK!!!"
"Man that show is pure FIYAH!!"
"Marlo is gangsta he handles his biz!"
"Man Weebay would merck all dem fools!"
etc. etc. etc.

Lets get more conversation about how the show touches you and interests you and less of the generic that was hard statement.

*FLAME OFF!*

But on the real "The Wire" is the best show I've seen as far as entertaining, story and grit. The story and writing rivals any show. The show is as or more entertaining than New York Undercover was and the grit of the show (because it's on HBO) rivals The Sopranos and The Corner. Top notch!!
 11 years ago '05        #17
stanis3k 31 heat pts31
space
space
$4,531 | Props total: 276 276
its a big big shame the wire is not getting the props it truly deserves
 11 years ago '04        #18
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
 Tikyle2 said:
I'm about to blast most of you n*ggaz out the water so if you sensitive stop reading now...............

*FLAME ON!*

Man Whitlock made an article about how this show is bigger than a show. How this show should spark conversation and change in OUR community yet you fools come in here and just say how you like the show. Man it's more than that. Why do you like the show? Cause they bust guns and hold down the crack game? Cause it makes you think? Cause you can relate to the life some are living in it? Man "The Wire" is more than just a f#$#$g show.

We need to realize this is probably the 1st and maybe only show that is going to depict the darkside of inpoverished black communities as well as mix in the politics and police work that go into creating and sustaining a community that poor. Yeah "The Corner" depicted some but it didn't get into the politics and the mindset of cops who care vs. those who just posture for politicians. This show is monumental and HBO can't even get a steady fanbase for it. That's why those that watch need to talk about it more and go in depth w/ it and not just say random sh*t like:

"Yo The Wire is CRACK!!!"
"Man that show is pure FIYAH!!"
"Marlo is gangsta he handles his biz!"
"Man Weebay would merck all dem fools!"
etc. etc. etc.

Lets get more conversation about how the show touches you and interests you and less of the generic that was hard statement.

*FLAME OFF!*

But on the real "The Wire" is the best show I've seen as far as entertaining, story and grit. The story and writing rivals any show. The show is as or more entertaining than New York Undercover was and the grit of the show (because it's on HBO) rivals The Sopranos and The Corner. Top notch!!
I am not writing an essay on The Wire

I likke it b/c it is so real.... they got a former Baltimore Sun writer and a former BPD dective as the producers... Its like they get everything right down to the T whether it is politics or the cops or the streets... also the schools, my momz used to teach at a little public school and I got her on The Wire this season and she loves it too and shes a very educated person, and she also said she had a lil girl in her class just like dookie
 10-19-2006, 03:35 PM         #19
Calvo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
theres a 5th season included
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
98 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
105 comments
24 hours ago