Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #1941
feardafoot 
space
space
$3,220 | Props total: 0 0
Speaking as a member of the triangle in NC. (UNC, NCSU, DUKE,) I can honestly look back and say its not a talent fall off, def not a coaching let down. The reason for Miami's slide over the past few years is simply the ACC. It's bye bye, Pitt and hello GT and Clemson. Yall are in for a constant struggle from now on to win the ACC. Tell the fans you can't stay home anymore, you gotta come out and support the canes every game. Yall need em. Last year yalls average home attendance was 45,000. The Orange bowl holds almost 90,000. Instead of 1 or maybe 2 big games at home every year, yall will have 3 to 4 every year now. Should have said it three years ago but, "Welcome to the ACC"
 9 years ago '04        #1942
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
 feardafoot said:
Speaking as a member of the triangle in NC. (UNC, NCSU, DUKE,) I can honestly look back and say its not a talent fall off, def not a coaching let down. The reason for Miami's slide over the past few years is simply the ACC. It's bye bye, Pitt and hello GT and Clemson. Yall are in for a constant struggle from now on to win the ACC. Tell the fans you can't stay home anymore, you gotta come out and support the canes every game. Yall need em. Last year yalls average home attendance was 45,000. The Orange bowl holds almost 90,000. Instead of 1 or maybe 2 big games at home every year, yall will have 3 to 4 every year now. Should have said it three years ago but, "Welcome to the ACC"
trust me it was definetly the coaching...i mean come on..even with our worst team in the last 25 years or so the only team to just straight up whip us last year didnt even play in the ACC and it was Louisville...and they didnt even really get going until the second half.

Our play calling has been atrocious...
Our Lame duck Head Coach provided nothing to the team except uncertainty

just by firing Coker we are already a better team
 9 years ago '04        #1943
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
Commitment likely coming Soon for UM

[pic - click to view]

Some have already penciled Miami Northwestern High School LB Sean Spence in as a Hurricane commitment based on some recent rumors.

But it won't be official until the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder with 4.6-second speed says it's a done deal.

And it looks like that will happen sooner rather than later.

"I'm going to commit somewhere on Friday - it'll probably be Miami," Spence said.

Spence says UNC, Alabama and USF are his other finalists.

Spence is still talking some things over with his family, but if all goes according to plan he will be on campus on Friday afternoon telling coach Randy Shannon he is the newest Hurricane.

"I spoke to coach Shannon today, set up the meeting," Spence said. "I'm going to go down there with my parents and (teammate) Jacory Harris."

Spence finished his junior season with 147 tackles, 10 for losses, with three sacks and two interceptions (one that he returned for a touchdown).

* Harris is good friends with Spence and says he would be happy to have the linebacker join him as a Cane commit.

Harris is also working another teammate, receiver Tommy Streeter, hard to get him to UM.

Harris recently joked with Streeter that if he doesn't commit to the Canes he won't get any passes heading his way this season.

"I said that - we were just joking around," Harris said.

Harris recently attended the Elite 11 and performed well.

"I came in ranked No. 10 and came out ranked No. 4," Harris said. "I was in a rhythm the whole time, was consistent, and that's what coaches like about me."
 9 years ago '05        #1944
feardafoot 
space
space
$3,220 | Props total: 0 0
 C.R.I.P. said:
trust me it was definetly the coaching...i mean come on..even with our worst team in the last 25 years or so the only team to just straight up whip us last year didnt even play in the ACC and it was Louisville...and they didnt even really get going until the second half.

Our play calling has been atrocious...
Our Lame duck Head Coach provided nothing to the team except uncertainty

just by firing Coker we are already a better team
you know your team better than i do. Competition has definately elevated though.
 08-02-2007, 03:07 PM         #1945
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 2, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Karnell Hatcher bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Delray Beach (FL) Atlantic Community safety Karnell Hatcher took an unofficial visit to Miami's campus yesterday and says "I was just amazed. Most colleges don't bond like they do. They have a family there. I was just blown away by that."

He says the visit "helped them very much."

He lists Miami and LSU as his frontrunners with three other schools he's still trying to find that will round out his final top five.

"It's a nice, nice, nice chance I'll wind up at Miami," Hatcher said.

But he says he won't make a final choice until signing day.

He says Cane coaches didn't pressure him on the visit.

"They talked to me about all the academic things, all the tutors, how much attention I would get," Hatcher said. "They showed me around the football facilities. I talked to the DB coach, coach (Wesley) McGriff, coach (Tim) Walton. The questions I asked they gave me great feedback. I talked to my recruiter, (Jeff) Stoutland, who was telling me a lot of good things.

"I talked to a lot of players, talked to Orlando Franklin, my former teammate, Demarcus VanDyke was telling me good things about the program."

Before departing UM, Hatcher met with coach Randy Shannon.

"He was just telling me about their needs at that position, the history of that position, how important that position is to them," Hatcher said. "He was telling me what type of part I would play in their run to the championship."

Hatcher said he wanted to take the visit because "I just wanted to learn a little more about the school and see where they stand with me."

Last season Hatcher finished with 67 tackles, two interceptions, five forced fumbles and a blocked field goal.
 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM         #1946
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 2, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

The CaneSport.com staff ranks the top 10 first-year Canes likely to make an immediate impact:

1 No surprise here. Graig Cooper gets the top spot as most likely to make an impact as a newcomer simply because of the dazzling ability he showed when healthy this spring. Cooper has playmaker written all over him, and coaches will no doubt try to get the ball in his hands often throughout the season as a tailback, receiver and returner. Cooper could make a big difference on offense right away.

2 With a thin wide receiver position, Leonard Hankerson is primed for immediate playing time. Players point to him as the fastest of the incoming receivers, and he is likely to see a decent amount of playing time off the bench this season a.ssuming he shows coaches he has a working knowledge of the playbook. He's gotten rave reviews in summer workouts.

3 Orlando Franklin is more advanced than your typical true freshman because he spent last summer on campus before being flagged by the NCAA Clearinghouse. He got a taste of what UM football was all about and spent the last year working hard. He's in the best shape of his life and will likely emerge on the two-deep at one of the offensive guard spots. He should provide much-needed depth on the line.

4 Doug Wiggins is listed highly simply because he arrived in January and participated in spring ball. What he learned in the last several months will give him a big leg up on the other freshmen. Look for him to fill a role much like what Chavez Grant did a year ago as the nickel cornerback. Wiggins' speed needs some work, but if his technique is up to par he can be an a.sset for the defense. Wiggins will also get a look as a return man.

5 Demarcus VanDyke will compete with Wiggins for time in the nickel and could also play dime. He showed this summer that he's ready for immediate action, with excellent cover corner skills. The CaneSport.com staff does not think VanDyke winds up redshirting, and he can also be an a.sset on special teams.

6 With Anthony Redd*ck out for the year, the safety depth is thin. And Joseph Nicolas just might be an answer in the two-deep. He will compete with Willie Cooper and Tervaris Johnson to show he belongs on the field behind Kenny Phillips and Lovon Ponder as a true freshman.

7 Looking at Allen Bailey, it's hard to believe he's just a true freshman. He's built like a truck, and he's got excellent speed for his size. While the depth chart at linebacker isn't in his favor, Randy Shannon and Tim Walton will play the best players. And it's just possible Bailey will show he belongs on the two-deep.

8 This self-proclaimed "Mouth of the South" and "Living legend" will try to live up to his words. Kayne Farquharson has shown some nice flashes in 7-on-7's but is still working to pick up the nuances of route running. With UM's thin wide receiver depth chart, this junior college transfer will be given every opportunity to show he belongs on the two-deep.

I told yall n*gga Leonard coming to stomp n*gga's out. Hes the next great in line of Andre and Reggie and Moss and Irvin and Thomas and it goes on and on. And my n*gga Wiggins is going to team up with DVD to lock n*gga's down.. DAMN I CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON
 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM         #1947
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 2, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

It was touch and go academically for Cane running back signee Shawnbrey McNeal much of this summer.

But now he's good to go.

He was one of the first Hurricanes to report early this morning.

The rest of the freshmen signees are also expected to officially report today with the likely exception of Adewale Ojomo, who said he is waiting on paperwork to make it through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

McNeal will try to compete for immediate playing time at tailback and could also factor in as a returner this season.

McNeal, out of Dallas (TX) Madison High School, decommitted from Texas A&M to Miami last recruiting season.

He had offers from numerous programs, including Florida, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State and Ole Miss.

He told CaneSport.com after his senior year that he hears comparisons in his playing style to NFL great Walter Payton.

"I hear that a lot around here," McNeal said.

His coach has a different name.

"Ladainian Tomlinson," Dallas (TX) Madison coach Ron Johnson said. "He's kind of got the Tomlinson style. He has the quick feet, gets in the hole and it looks like it's closed and within seconds he's outside and down the field. He catches the ball great. We throw it to him a lot with the bubble screen. He catches it and gets upfield well."

McNeal finished his senior season with 139 carries for 1,441 yards and 20 touchdowns. His longest scoring run was an 85-yarder. He also had three touchdown receptions out of the backfield.

As a junior he gained 1,556 yards and ran for 22 touchdowns.

:applause: :applause: :applause: LT LT LT LT LT
 08-03-2007, 03:08 PM         #1948
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
AND ANOTHER ONE

[pic - click to view]

August 3, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Sean Spence bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Two days ago Miami Northwestern LB [db]Sean Spence[/db] called Hurricane coach Randy Shannon and set up a meeting for this afternoon.

And when they got together Spence had good news for the coach: He will be part of the 2008 recruiting class.

"I like the great tradition they have, the players they have going to the league, the academic program," said Spence, who first received a Cane offer last year after earning the Linebacker MVP Award at Larry Coker's summer camp. "It feels like home going to down there."

It also didn't hurt that he has several teammates that have already committed to the Canes, including close friend Jacory Harris.

"They were asking me when I was going to pull the trigger, what I'm waiting on," Spence said. "I told them there's a right time for everything."

That right time was now.

Spence says coaches Tim Walton and Clint Hurtt deserve a lot of credit for how they recruited him.

"They weren't putting on an act, were telling me what I can bring to the table, what I can bring to their program," Spence said. "They're real cool guys."

Spence said, based on what he's heard, that he expects to play middle linebacker at Miami.

But what spot he plays is far from his mind.

He's thinking more about the bigger picture.

"My first goal is to graduate with a college degree, and my second goal would be to win the national championship and go to the NFL," he said.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pounder with 4.6-second speed chose Miami over UNC, Alabama and USF.

He finished his junior season with 147 tackles, 10 for losses, with three sacks and two interceptions (one that he returned for a touchdown).

Spence plans to graduate early and enroll at Miami in December.
 9 years ago '04        #1949
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
ugust 3, 2007

CaneSport TV

CANESPORT TV: Kyle Wright chats with the media

CANESPORT TV: Kirby Freeman chats with the media

Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman are saying all the right things.

After eight months of silence on the orders of Hurricane coach Randy Shannon, both quarterbacks spoke to the media today.

"It's been a while since Kyle and I have got to talk to you guys," Freeman said as an opening statement to an a.ssembled group of about 20 media members. "Kyle and I are doing great. Our relationship is fantastic, always has been through our ups and downs on the field and off. We've always had a great relationship."

He later added, "There's not a controversy at all, because we're doing all it takes to win games."

Wright also said things are rosy between he and Freeman despite the looming battle.

"Kirby and I get along just fine on and off the field," Wright said. "Competition is competition. Kirby and I have been friends since we got here, and that's the way it's going to stay."

The quarterbacks' bottom-line message?

"I've always approached every day that you have to go prove you're the best player," Wright said. "That shouldn't matter if you're a three or four year starter or a first-year starter. You have to prove to your teammates you're the best guy for the job. The past years Kirby's always pushed me and vice versa, so I don't think that's going to change."

Freeman added, "I feel confident in myself, and my teammates feel confident in me. I'm going to do the best I can to win football games. Coach Shannon's gong to put in whatever quarterback he thinks will win games. If he needs to play both of us he'll play both of us. And during the course of the season (he'll probably do that)."

Both quarterbacks, of course, hope to emerge as the starter.

Shannon reiterated today that he won't name a starter until the Tuesday before the opening game against Marshall.

"It's all about the U, it's not about me, not about a quarterback controversy," Freeman said. "We're out to win football games. Coach Shannon has definitely implemented good leadership, all these great things."

"I'm very confident in myself," Wright added. "I think we're going to have a great year. I'm a team guy, so whatever's best for the team (I'll do). I'll try to separate me from Day 1 until the Tuesday that coach Shannon announces (a starter)."

Until a starter is named both quarterbacks will split first team reps in practices and scrimmages.

Both quarterbacks say they've improved in the off-season.

"In my head I just try to get better," Freeman said. "I'm just trying to do whatever it takes, whatever this team needs me to do to win games. The things I've tried to do in the off-season is simply try to make myself better. Yeah, I can make plays on my feet, but at the same time you can't have turnovers or you're not going to win football games. If I'm called upon I can promise you I'll be ready."

For his part, Wright said, "When you look at yourself, go through as many things as myself and this team has been through, you grow in so many ways you don't even realize (it), mentally and physically."

The quarterbacks want to make the offense a point-scoring machine for the first time in the last several years.

"We don't want to rely on our defense," Freeman said. "We want to be a team."

This will be Wright's last chance to make a memorable impact at Miami.

Freeman has another year left after this season.

"I have six months left," Wright said. "What coach Shannon has done a great job of is we can't worry about what happened in the past. The only thing we can control is this day, this season."

* Wright says he's over his hand injury that cost him the end of last year.

"I felt great all summer," he said.aa
 9 years ago '04        #1950
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
August 3, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

RANDY SHANNON Q&A

Opening statement: Camp starts. Right now there's one freshman that's (still) going through the Clearinghouse. He's done everything he wants to get done. That's Ojomo. We feel any day from now – it could be five minutes, next week, two days, that'll make him eligible. Otherwise everybody's in camp freshman-wise. Injury-wise Romeo Davis and Anthony Redd*ck probably won't make it this season. I really don't know about Robert Marve and Jermaine McKenzie. It's still up to Dr. (John) Uribe and what he says as far as a prognosis on those guys. The Orange Bowl deal I don't know. Whenever that decision is made they'll make it. It'll be the right decision for Miami, the city, the county and the University of Miami.

Q: How much does it hurt missing Robert Marve?

Shannon: It hurts because he got in a rhythm, put in a lot of time in the film room, had a bunch of 7 on 7's, two minute drill, red zone, one-on-one things that he was doing. It'll hurt him because he was learning the whole entire offense to that point in time, but now with the setback with his hand he'll be out until he heals. And now you've got to get back in a rhythm and timing.

Q: When can he practice?

Shannon: Whenever Uribe says he can practice we'll go with it. But until then he won't practice anytime in the next week, I can tell you that. When he gets out of the cast put another two weeks after (until he's ready). That puts him out a month automatically. After that, we'll see what Uribe says about that.

Q: It's a lot harder for a freshman QB to catch up?

Shannon: It is. Some guys catch on, but when you miss 29 days of practice it is kind of hard.

Q: You've disciplined players who were late for class and workouts this off-season?

Shannon: We had a team meeting. We have one time and one time only with the players (for an off-season meeting). That's what I mean by everyone accountable. Let's turn in our books, our recorders. And some guys didn't. So I had the list, the guys I called, meet me out on the field (and they run). The first week it was 31 (players that had to run), the next week it was five, the next week it was two, after that it was zero, never had a problem since. It's a start. It's like anything. If you don't follow up on anything … it's all about holding guys accountable.

Q: Is it difficult for you to imagine the possibility the team might not be at the Orange Bowl?

Shannon: No, not at all. It's a football field. I played at Traz Powell four years. You have to accept what it is and move on. Whatever decision happens, is it really going to make a difference to m? No. So I just have to deal with whatever decision is made and go from there.

Q: Are there rules you thought about enacting that you didn't?

Shannon: No. The biggest thing that happens is you have distractions and now the team mind is not focused on winning games. It's now focused on what's happened with a teammate. That's what the rules are for - it's to keep all the distractions down and win games (the right way).

Q: Calais Campbell seems like a nice guy off the field.

Shannon: Calais is just a football player. You talk to him in person, he's a down to earth person that likes to joke around. When it comes time to play football he plays with a lot of emotion. That's what people don't realize. If you look at Jon Vilma, everybody in this room would say Jon Vilma is the greatest guy to be around. But on that field Jon Vilma is one of the worst competitors in the history I've seen at Miami. If Jon Vilma's competing and running gassers he'll try to beat you all the time. And if he doesn't beat you he's going to get upset and say he wants to challenge you again. We've had players like that all the time. But those are the great players, who never sit back, play with a lot of emotion.

Q: What does Javarris James need to do to take the next step in his development?

Shannon: He's got a great competition with Graig Cooper and Charlie Jones and if Javarris slips up we have a stable of running backs to take his place. It's going to be great to watch this competition get going and have fun with it.

Q: Do you still plan on switching first team reps between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman?

Shannon: Yes, and when we scrimmage one will take the first half and one the second half. They'll both get opportunities to work with the ones and twos in scrimmage work, and in practice also.

Q: So entering tomorrow's practice they're both even?

Shannon: Even Steven. One will take one drill; the other will take the other drill. They bounce back and forth in practice on who is leading the drills. So it's kind of easy. The guys like it that way.

Q: How much do you take last year's performance by them into account?

Shannon: I really don't. I don't worry about last year. Not at all.

Q: You've spoken about avoiding distractions. Wouldn't naming a starting quarterback avoid that distraction?

Shannon: Whoever gives us the best chance to win will give us the best chance to win. This summer those guys did a great job of being with the team as teammates. Not as quarterbacks, as teammates. The players got a better perspective of who they are. (Players say) we feel we can talk to those guys, we've been around those guys, everybody is joking around, there's no tension, no stress, no `I want to go play catch with Kyle,' `I want to play catch with Kirby.' That's the one thing that's going to make a difference on a great team is when you don't have all the distractions they feel comfortable. (Players feel) we have two starting quarterbacks, and whoever does it, does it. We have to play both, fine. We have to play one, fine.

Q: You plan to name the starting QB the Tuesday before the Marshall game?

Shannon: It's the same. I'm gong to sleep real good, and then the Tuesday before Marshall we'll make that decision on the quarterbacks. I don't even think about it now. That's just the way it is.

Q: How do you envision the season turning out?

Shannon: Well, I think we should have a great season this season.

Q: With the changes you've made, do you think kids have accepted it?

Shannon: There's no resistance. Your job is to win games during the football season. Out of season, sell tickets and raise money. Educate everybody on your football team to be representatives in the community in the real world. Some guys aren't going to play football (in the NFL). Some are. Make sure the guys that aren't going to play football in the NFL are able to go out in public, and the public looks at them in a different view so `I can hire this guy. This is a guy I want to hire.' Those are the things we have to do as coaches.

Q: Do you think there will be hangover from last year's poor season?

Shannon: I think guys understand what it'll take to win.

Q: What makes a great season in your mind?

Shannon: You know what a great season is? Everyone wants to win a national championship. That's a great season. Some people say, `Well, coach, you're thinking too unrealistic.' If I'm a coach do you want me to say I'll be 7-5, 8-4 or say it's a working process, that we're about four years away to get it done? As a coach you like athletics and you like to compete. Most coaches will take a job that's 8-3, 9-3, 7-6 and be happy if they go to a bowl game. Miami is not a place you can come up and say, `You know what, we can be 9-3, 8-4, we'll be okay.' At Miami those are challenges you have to accept. I believe in this team, the coaching staff, the support we have with this university that we can get those things done.

Q: Are you as prepared as you would have hoed at this point?

Shannon: Everything is done. The practice schedule is all done, the scripts for practices are done, what we don in practice every day is done, the season scripts are done as far as what drills we do during the season. As far as organization those things are done. We're just concentrating on football right now.

Q: What about from a mindset perspective?

Shannon: Mindset is mindset. I don't worry about that. Before Marshall I'll be nervous like I was as a coordinator. The night before a game I'm nervous. Between that time every day's another day to me.

Q: Talk about coach Andreu Swasey. Is he the most underrated a.sset in the program?

Shannon: He's that support staff that makes us run. Coach Swasey is probably with the football players more than anybody in this building. It's coach Swasey, the training room and academics. During the offseason we can't a.ssociate with (players). During the season we're only allowed 20 hours a week. In the spring time it goes down to eight hours. Swasey loves the weight room, they love to talk to him, love to be around him.

9 years ago '04        #1951
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space

Q: At what point do you think players will be ready to take over ownership for the program?

Shannon: They're doing it now. Guys come in the training room with food in their hand, they'll say get out, you're not allowed food in the training room. It's starting to fester now, and they know what it takes.

Q: What was your impression of Graig Cooper from the spring?

Shannon: Coop did a great job. He brought us some excitement. And he's a calm guy. He's not an arrogant or flamboyant guy. He and Javarris James are buddies. They're always hanging around, competing in practice's every now and then they'll get on the (other) guys. They're fun-loving guys. He's wonderful to be around.

Q: The team is ranked N. 28 in the Coaches' poll.

Shannon: I never looked at it. I don't look at (it as) underdogs. I didn't look at the rankings.

Q: Is Josh Tatum part of this team?

Shannon: No, Josh Tatum is not part of this team. I don't know where that came from.

Q: He won't be part of the team?

Shannon: No. Not tomorrow, the next day, the next year, no. I just know USC released him. That's all I know.
 9 years ago '04        #1952
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
August 4, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

VIEW THE PHOTO GALLERY FROM PRACTICE NO. 1

* Freshman WR Leonard Hankerson was present but did not suit up today as he is still not through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

"It's up to the Clearinghouse," coach Randy Shannon said. "I can't control the Clearinghouse. (He can be cleared) when I get in that locker room. It depends on the Clearinghouse. They clear somebody every five minutes, hour, two days. It's up to them. The kid is all cleared as far as the University. We cannot actually let him start until the Clearinghouse clears him as far as practice in the fall."

* There were some depth chart surprises today. The first team offensive line throughout the day was, from left to right, Jason Fox, Orlando Franklin, AJ Trump, Derrick Morse and Chris Rutledge. Last year's starters Andrew Bain was the backup left guard and Reggie Youngblood was the backup right tackle. Of course, the line depth chart is likely to fluctuate as fall drills progress.

Asked if A.J. Trump is an answer at center, Shannon said, "He's starting out right now doing it. We'll find the best guy. We have to get him a chance to play center."

Of Orlando Franklin moving ahead of Bain on the depth chart, Shannon said, "We're going to hold guys accountable. If they're not doing right, somebody will step in. We'll find somebody to play."

It was Graig Cooper getting the first team reps at tailback today with Javarris James behind him.

Kirby Freeman worked the most with the first team today at quarterback. Freeman and Kyle Wright will not be allowed to speak with the media for the rest of the fall, according to UM's media relations department.

On defense, the first team tackles were Teraz McCray and Josh Holmes, with Antonio Dixon a second-teamer.

The first-team linebackers were Colin McCathy, Darryl Sharpton and Glenn Cook.

At cornerback the first-teamers were Randy Phillips and Carlos Armour. Glenn Sharpe was with the second team.

"Coming out of the spring I worked hard, worked myself into the first group," Armour said.

Armour says he expects to remain with the first team tomorrow and beyond.

"It's just competition day in and day out," Armour said. "If we go out and get the job done, it's no favoritism and the best players are going to be on the field."

* Shannon said the first day's work was "good."

"As far as start-wise it was good," he said. "It's the first day. You're going to have a couple of mistakes. We ended practice in an hour and 40 minutes, which is a good situation for us. It's a start."

Asked if today had any different feel for him as head coach in a fall practice, Shannon said, "No. You know the hardest thing for me? You have to keep bouncing back and forth (between offense and defense). I'm really involved in special teams with coach (Joe) Pannunzio. I like special teams. The last six or seven years I was a.ssigned to special teams, so it's kind of still fun to coach (it)."

Of the offensive line's progress since the spring, Shannon said, "They're doing great. It's always a work in progress. They're in (better) mental shape."

* DE Calais Campbell was yelling throughout most of the practice.

And he was yelling the same thing over and over again: "New Orleans."

That's where this year's national championship game will be held.

"He was yelling that 100 percent of the time today," Armour said. "That's a motivational thing."

Lance Leggett added of Campbell's yells that, "I love that. Calais, he's going to keep everybody's mind right."

* Leggett was wearing a bulky brace on his right knee that he says he'll have to play with this season. He injured the knee during spring drills but did not have surgery.

"I just don't want to hurt it again," Leggett said, adding that wearing the brace doesn't bother him.

* Getting reps at punt return today were Chavez Grant, Bruce Johnson, Doug Wiggins and Demarcus Van Dyke

* Kylan Robinson says he is solidified as an H-back.

"I was moved (from tailback) over the summer – they decided to move me there, said I can catch the ball real well and that they want me to get on the field," Robinson said.

Robinson spent the first practice working with the third team behind Chris Zellner and Dedrick Epps.

"I'm just working to be consistent," Robinson said.

* Some thoughts on the rigors of practice No. 1:

Lovon Ponder: "It was a hard day. Every first day on any level is a hard day. It was a good practice. We flew around on defense, the offense made some plays. This was more up-tempo, running from station to station, things like that."

Glenn Cook: "It was intense right off the jump. I think coach (Randy) Shannon wants a picked-up pace. This was one of the toughest, if not the toughest, practices we've had. Overall I thought we did pretty well."

Kylan Robinson: "It's pretty tough. Nothing compares to this (Miami) heat."

Carlos Armour: "We expected it to be hot, guys to fly around today. Throughout the course of this camp we're going to be great."

Leggett: "It's more up tempo than in the past. Coach Shannon just wants you to sprint to every drill."

* Cyrim Wimbs, Ian Symonette, Chris Barney and Chris Rutledge lagged behind during the 110 sprints that ended practice. Wimbs and Symonette stayed after to run extra on a side field.

Rutledge cramped up during drills, and Jason Fox and Symonette got such a workout that they were throwing up at the end of practice.

* Freshman DT Chris Perry and RB Shawnbrey McNeal worked with the injured players during today's practice. There's no word on when they'll be back in regular practice.

"It's freshmen stuff," Shannon said. "A lot of guys won't get cleared until the physicals get cleared and doctors clear them."

* There was a good turnout at today's practice, with several hundred fans lined up four deep behind the ropes at Greentree Practice field.

Shannon said he was happy with the fan turnout.

"Especially on a Saturday morning (with practice beginning at 7:50 a.m.)," Shannon said. "It was great. That's the emphasis we have got to understand with Miami is that the University of Miami is Miami and we have to get the fan support to come out no matter what the conditions are."

Leggett said of the fans that came out, "We love that good fan support. A lot of fans are starting to show their support."

* UM President Donna Shalala attended practice and told the Miami Herald that moving from the Orange Bowl "is not a done deal." She also said of Shannon that "I think he's done a terrific job so far."
 9 years ago '05        #1953
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '04        #1954
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
From Monday through this afternoon, I spent more than 40 hours filming video interviews during The Herald's High School Football Media Days with players from every team in Dade and Broward. It was a lot of fun. And before I delve into the point of this blog, I want to share some of my personal highlights with some of the top guys in Dade and Broward including several Canes recruits:

--> Playing catch with Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Forston and later seeing him outleap receiver Aldarius Johnson for a jump ball on a pass 20 yards down field. Yes, true story. Forston not only leaped as high as Aldarius, he tipped it to himself for a catch. Then did the same against 6-5 teammate and fellow receiver Tommy Streeter. "I'm not just big boned," Forston told me. "I got a 30-inch vertical. I'm more than a big boy."

--> Watching Northwestern quarterback Jacory Harris connect with left tackle Brandon Washington on a 40-yard seam route down the field for a touchdown. Then, seeing Washington fire the ball right back at him on a perfect strike. Harris by the way told Streeter jokingly that if he didn't commit to Miami he wasn't going to pass him any more balls this season.

--> Finding out from Forston that the day coach Roland Smith and his staff were fired, he and Harris held a team meeting, told players to come back in two days. Then, when the team returned on Monday for workouts, how Forston and Harris led a full Bulls practice with no coaches.

--> Getting a thank you from linebacker Sean Spence Wednesday morning for not ruining his moment and announcing his commitment on a blog last week. "I'm going to do it Friday by the way. I'll call you as soon as I leave coach's office."

--> Talking to Columbus offensive tackle Mike Goodman, who has over 30 offers, and finding out just how serious is about education and how he really values picking a good character school. Goodman, whose father once played on Nebraska's offensive line in the 1970s, said he wants to pick a place that really goes after character commitments and doesn't just say it will. I think its Wake Forest, BC or maybe any Ivy League school for him.

There is a lot more. An hour interview with Chaminade LB Jordan Futch (he was great and really is very smart); a conversation with Homestead LB Marcus Robinson (who sounded anything but like a Hurricane commitment); a chat with Pace offensive lineman Greg Shaw (who said how much he admires his brother Willie Williams); and a talk with a Coral Springs LB who looked like a clone of Dan Morgan.
sounds like marcus robinson is gonna take all his visits and isnt a definite commit just yet
 9 years ago '04        #1955
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
OK, now that I'm done opining, I wanted to share with you some of my other thoughts from Friday including perhaps the funniest slip-up Coach Shannon has had yet on the mic. For those of you listening to the audio, tune into his press conference between the 18 and 19 minute mark when he's talking about Graig Cooper and Javarris James.

When asked about Cooper in the spring, Shannon said: "I think Coop did a great job. He brought some some excitement to the team. And he's a calm guy. He's not an arrogant or flamboyant guy." It was going well, then coach goofed. "Belive it or not, he and Javarris James are kind of like butt buddies."

Butt Buddies? I never got around to asking Cooper or James what exactly that meant. But it probably would have brought a chuckle. I know I laughed and knew coach meant no harm (For those of you (18 or older) wanting to find out what it means, check out Urban Dictionary.com).
 08-05-2007, 03:11 AM         #1956
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Is there anyone better then Michael Irvin? I don't think so. Big day for a true Hurricane
 9 years ago '06        #1957
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
:wow:

havent been to the crib in a minute :wow:

fortson,Aldarius Johnson, Davon Johnson,Sean Spence

if justin thompson and fortson at DT :wow:

and we got major regies

our LB squad if lookin series

we got some O help for mave with boy johnson

:wow:

:rasta:

Last edited by DEDOS; 08-05-2007 at 08:12 PM..
 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM         #1958
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Soon Rivals will re release there top 150 or whatever. Expect a long of Canes to be moving up. Esp Patrick Johnson. Fortson and Harris should also move up considerably IMO.

Whats good Dedos good to have the hurricane fans back
 9 years ago '05        #1959
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$14,629 | Props total: 584 584
The anticipation for football season is k!llING me.

lol I just noticed this thread is almost 80 pages long.
 9 years ago '04        #1960
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 QualityRecords said:
The anticipation for football season is k!llING me.

lol I just noticed this thread is almost 80 pages long.
:banghead: cant fuccin wait!!
this threads been poppin for a year strong now, even thru a sh*tty season and all
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy