Video inside Nov 22 - Death Date Announced For The Internet
24 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Reminder Black Friday Starts Now at Walmart.com
37 comments
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside TEKASHI69 saves Magnolia producer Pierre from an ass whooping or worse
41 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '07        #1861
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
leonard is gettin alot of hype comin out of pratices so he better be a sick ballplayer come gametime
 10 years ago '04        #1862
1000bluntz 
space
space
$17,270 | Props total: 11225 11225
Y'all hearing that Ramon Buchanan will probably wind up being a Gator rather than a Cane? I heard he's about to switch and people have been saying since he committed to y'all that he would wind up at UF anyways. I don't really buy that sh*t because why commit to somewhere knowing you're not going there. He comes from a Gator pipeline school and he's really good, I hope we steal him from y'all.
 10 years ago '04        #1863
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,967 | Props total: 2776 2776
 1000bluntz said:
Y'all hearing that Ramon Buchanan will probably wind up being a Gator rather than a Cane? I heard he's about to switch and people have been saying since he committed to y'all that he would wind up at UF anyways. I don't really buy that sh*t because why commit to somewhere knowing you're not going there. He comes from a Gator pipeline school and he's really good, I hope we steal him from y'all.
i've heard that, both he and marcus robinson are wavering on their soft commitments, which is why i dont put too much stock in early commits, they're 17-year old kids who's minds are constantly changing. it is what it is, tho.
 10 years ago '04        #1864
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
Bad news: Cook, Ponder hurt
The first bad news of the fall has come out -- linebacker Glenn Cook and safety Lovon Ponder (who were both expected to be starters) -- are injured.

As UM scrimmaged for the first time this fall, both were out with injuries. Coach Randy Shannon told reporters Cook is expected to miss between three to four games. Ponder, who was seen on crutches around school Wednesday, could return to the team before the start of the season.

Cook's loss means Miami will be without its most experienced linebacker to start the season. Cook was tied for the lead for most starts with Tavares Gooden with 14. But without question, he was expected to replace Jon Beason as the brainchild and leader of the linebacking corps from the weakside. Now, Gooden or Spencer Adkins will likely replace him in the starting lineup alongside sophomore Darryl Sharpton and Colin McCarthy.

Willie Cooper who made the big interception to save UM from an ugly loss to Duke last season is now expected to carry the load at safety alongside Kenny Phillips until Ponder returns. Freshmen Jojo Nicholas could also see some time there.
 10 years ago '04        #1865
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
Small lineman plays big for Hurricanes
He doesn't look the part of a defensive tackle, but Josh Holmes -- who has a spot on the first team -- sure can play the part.

Don't judge a defensive tackle by the way he looks.

At least don't judge Josh Holmes.

University of Miami coach Randy Shannon didn't.

He liked the young left tackle so much that he came to two of his basketball games at San Diego's Point Loma High School, visited his home at least twice and called him on the phone constantly.

''All the time,'' said Holmes, a redshirt freshman who has never played a snap in college but has been promoted to the first team. ``He personally came down to give me my [scholarship] papers to sign.

``I chose the Hurricanes because of tradition and Coach Shannon. Coach Shannon really recruited me hard and I fell in love with the guy. That's why I came here.''

Holmes is listed as 6-2 in the UM media guide, but he concedes he's 6-0 and 278 pounds. Looking at him, he doesn't fit the image of a hulking muscle man. But Shannon compares him to UM great Warren Sapp -- not to mention Holmes was rated the 15th-best defensive tackle by rivals.com and chose UM over Southern Cal and Florida State.

''You know what?'' said defensive line coach Clint Hurtt. 'If you look at him, you'd say, `That guy plays defensive tackle at the Univerity of Miami?' [Heck,] that would be my first comment. Physically, his body type, his dimensions, don't hold up to the rest of the guys. But he has great burst. He's good, and he had the heart, determination and character of a guy you want for a defensive tackle.''

Shannon was asked what he saw in Holmes in high school that made him travel to the West Coast as much as he did. ''He's explosive,'' Shannon said. ``He's explosive like Warren Sapp was. He had that first great step and he played hard. And he played tight end also. When you have a guy that can play two positions, that means a lot.''

Holmes, 19, said his short stature helps him leverage-wise, just like it helps fellow defensive tackle Teraz McCray, who is built similarly.

''Being short is a plus for me and Teraz, because whoever is lowest is going to win the battle up front,'' Holmes said. ``I watched Teraz play on TV before I committed here and he's a wonderful player. The whole defense has been talking to me and encouraging me.''

The offense, too.

Right guard Derrick Morse, who is a hulk, has been going against Holmes since camp started. ''Let me tell you, that kid has a lot of heart,'' Morse said. ``He's very fast off the ball. He's not very big, but he plays with good technique. He plays low and he never quits.

'I try to work these guys down till they die and Josh never dies. He's like, `Damn! You pancaked me!' '' And I'll be like, 'Damn! That was a nice pass-rush move you had -- that little shake got me.' He's got a lot of moves, and he's a great kid.''

All-American Calais Campbell said Holmes also was ``tremendously smart.

''That's what separates him from the pack,'' he said. ``He plays with his head first.''

Holmes, whose mother is a manager at Radio Shack and whose father is a night manager for a water company, said he will stay humble. He just wants to play.

''I'll just keep competing,'' he said. ``I might be a short guy, but when it comes to getting off the line, I'm going to come after you.''
 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM         #1866
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Shields caught a 50 yard Touchdown
 10 years ago '04        #1867
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM's Cook to miss at least 3 games
Posted on Thu, Aug. 09, 2007Digg it del.icio.us reprint or license print email
BY SARAH ROTHSCHILD

University of Miami first-team linebacker Glenn Cook is likely to miss at least the first three games of the season, coach Randy Shannon said Thursday.

Shannon said Cook's injury is serious enough that he will be ''out for a while,'' but would not disclose the injury. Shannon also would not reveal whether Cook needs surgery.

''I don't know, that's up to the doctors,'' Shannon said. ``He'll miss some games, probably [the] early diagnosis is three to four games.''

Shannon said the injury to first-team safety Lovon Ponder, who was seen at UM walking on crutches Wednesday, was not as severe as Cook's. Shannon said Ponder, who started nine games last season, is expected to be healthy in time for the Sept. 1 season opener against Marshall.

Shannon also refused to disclose the nature of Ponder's injury, saying only, ``Ponder will be back before Cook.''

Cook, a senior, has the most starts of any returning linebacker. Last season he started 11 of 12 games and has been a fixture on defense because of his adept knowledge of UM's defense in addition to his tackling ability at weakside linebacker.

Adding to concerns is the fact two other first-team defensive players have been sitting out of practice with undisclosed injuries: right defensive tackle Teraz McCray and middle linebacker Darryl Sharpton.
 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM         #1868
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k.. Looks like the young guys are gonna have to step the fu*k up
 10 years ago '07        #1869
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
what the news with damien berry...why hasnt he been mentioned as the third or fourth safety
 10 years ago '04        #1870
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
 ttime236 said:
what the news with damien berry...why hasnt he been mentioned as the third or fourth safety
berry is still nursing knee injuries from high school, i wouldnt be surprised if he redshirted
 08-09-2007, 06:15 PM         #1871
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 9, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Coach Randy Shannon wanted his team to treat today's opening fall scrimmage like a game.

Down to every last detail.

Following stretching and opening drills, Shannon told the team to go inside the locker room.

They didn't move fast enough.

"Get back here and sprint to the locker room!" Shannon screamed.

Players, some of whom were already 50 yards away, returned to where Shannon was standing. They huddled around Shannon, then broke into an all-out sprint back into the locker room.

They remained there for over 20 minutes before returning to the Cobb Stadium field to begin the scrimmage.

The team played four six-minute quarters, and at halftime the team again went into the locker room. The clock ran as in a real game, and there were live kickoff and punt returns.

Shannon split the offense and defense in half to form two "real" teams – one orange, one white.

It was all about making it real.

Highlights from the scrimmage:

* Sam Shields had the play of the day with a 50-yard plus touchdown catch-and-run from Kirby Freeman, who also led another touchdown drive. Freeman almost had a third touchdown but Kayne Farquharson couldn't handle the pass.

Those were the only two touchdowns of the day.

Of his TD, Shields said, "The ball was in the middle of the field. I caught it and just ran it in."

The white team won, but neither quarterback can say they won: Kirby and Kyle switched teams at halftime.

* Wright was pressured a lot after joining the orange team at halftime.

"The defense on the white team really picked it up in the second half of the game, got pressure on Kyle," OL Derrick Morse said. "That's our fault as an offensive line. We didn't do a good enough job blocking and giving him time, the receivers time to get open and catch the ball. We're going to work on that hard and make sure he has time to make plays."

* There also three field goals attempted today. Two were made, including a 38-yard plus attempt by Francesco Zampogna, with Daren Daly missing one.

* Khalil Jones, after dropping a couple of early balls, had three receptions, including a nice diving grab.

* Richard Gordon returned two kickoffs for 25-plus yards each, fumbling after one.

* Graig Cooper came within a hair of breaking a punt for a long touchdown. After evading several tacklers he was finally taken down. He also had a fumble on a running play.

* Lance Leggett and Darnell Jenkins dropped catchable balls.

* Vegas Franklin and Calais Campbell each had multiple sacks.

In depth chart news, Cooper and Javarris James shared first team work with Charlie Jones working in behind them. Antonio Dixon was with the first team in his group today.

"The offense made some good plays, the defense made some good plays," CB Carlos Armour said of the scrimmage work.

"It was very competitive," Leggett added. "(As an offense) we need to work on everything. Everyone's working hard."

Morse added, "We learned a lot from this scrimmage. Coach Shannon puts us in situations that are just like the game. So when we get into a game nothing's going to surprise us."

WR Ryan Hill's take: "We want to get better each and every day. I feel I did a good job on special teams today. That's what I try to focus on."

* Overall did the defense or offense win the scrimmage?

"It was mixed – we made some plays, they made some plays," Shields said.

* Today's primary punt returners were Cooper and Chavez Grant. The kick returners were Darnell Jenkins, Demarcus Van Dyke, Gordon and Hill.
 08-09-2007, 06:17 PM         #1872
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Did you guys hear anyone caught skipping class has to roll 100 yards down the field and back. Thats a Howard Schnellenberger type punishment. These guys are gonna be k!lling n*gga's when the season starts.
 08-09-2007, 07:59 PM         #1873
Sh0wty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn. Never Heard that rule..

Rakim Get you get me that article from Aug 8 on nix and the offense..

Thanks..
 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM         #1874
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sh0wty said:
Damn. Never Heard that rule..

Rakim Get you get me that article from Aug 8 on nix and the offense..

Thanks..
August 8, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix said today that Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman are almost identical through this point in the fall.

"Believe it or not, their numbers are almost identical with completions, incompletions, touchdowns, interceptions, everything else," Nix said. "They're both doing really well. Both are having a very good camp."

Nix said he won't have a good idea for another two to three weeks if one is ahead of another.

"A lot of factors go into it, not just one scrimmage or one practice," Nix said. "We might get into that last week and both of them will still be neck and neck and we'll have to make a decision from there."

Nix isn't exactly spilling any secrets so far.

Asked more about how Wright and Freeman are progressing, he said, "Both of them are very capable, and we feel very comfortable with either one of them."

Nix was asked if, with his philosophy, he might play both in games.

"My philosophy is to win," Nix said. "If you play two, you play two. If you play one, you play one. I've never been in a situation where I had two guys I felt could go out there and do as good as the other, so it's unchartered territory. I don't think there's many teams in the country that have two guys that have quality experience and that are extremely good players that they can go and win with. We're unique in that situation and very fortunate in that situation."

Asked if he can say something specific about each quarterback and what they excel at, Nix said, "No."

He then added, "They're both very good, play very good, both can execute our offense. We'll just see how it plays out. Maybe both of them give us the chance (to win)."

Nix says he's completely on board with Randy Shannon's plan of not naming a starting quarterback until the Tuesday before the opening game against Marshall.

"It's a lot tougher for one of them if they're told they're not the quarterback than to have both out there competing," Nix said. "What if one gets hurt the first play of the game?"

Nix said the way he sees this offense "the quarterbacks are interchangeable, the receivers are interchangeable, the O-linemen are interchangeable. That's the thing you have to be in this game nowadays. You don't know what's going to happen during the first game, the first week of practice. Having good quality depth, guys that can come in and compete and win is extremely valuable."

Nix said there's "good players and good competition everywhere" on offense.

"If we're going to reach the goals we want to reach, you have to have depth at every position," he said.

At tailback, Nix said of Javarris James and Graig Cooper that "both of them are very good running backs that can do a lot of different stuff. They're kind of interchangeable and we can use them at any time, either one of them.

"We've got more than two running backs. Charlie Jones, you've got experience there. You've got more than two running backs, which is a good problem to have.

"Eventually you're going to have a running back banged up and you're going to have to have someone else to help him. The less wear and tear they take during the season, the better they'll be at the end of the season. So hopefully we'll have two guys that are real good instead of just one, and hopefully they'll be able to go through the whole season."

Asked how important it is to have Lance Leggett show he can be a go-to No. 1 receiver this season, Nix said, "I don't think it's important that Lance is the guy – I think it's important that we have a guy. I don't care who it is, as long as we have one or two receivers that can be a go-to guy. The receivers are very important, as important as any position on the field. If you make them go out and double a guy, all of a sudden something else opens up. We have a few guys that are candidates to go out and demand double coverage. We just have to figure out which one it's going to be. But I do think if Lance can stay healthy he has the ability and the potential to be that guy."

CaneSport Magazine publishes 25 times a year, 10 glossy monthly printed issues and 15 online or Gameday Issues for a subscription price of $54.95. An online only subscription or a printed magazine only subscription is $39.95. Call 1-800-635-2263 or visit CaneSportmagazine.com
 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM         #1875
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 9, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Antonio Harper bio

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Melrose (Tenn.) High School LB Antonio Harper says he's planning to make a decision sooner rather than later.

"My first game is Aug. 25 – I'll probably announce right around then," Harper said.

And he could wind up a Cane.

"It's a good chance," Harper said. "I'm talking to coaches at Miami. I came down to Miami the beginning of the summer, and it was a great school."

Harper hasn't taken any other visits this summer.

Asked other schools in the mix with UM, he said, "I really don't even know right now. I need to think about things."

The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder with 4.6-second speed lists offers from UM, Florida State, Alabama, Memphis and Ole Miss.

His linebackers coach, Anthony Stevenson, says whatever school gets him will have a tremendous prospect on its hands.

"Size, speed, skills and his sense of awareness to the ball - he has it all," Stevenson said. "He had nothing less than 10 tackles a game in every game last year. He has skill like Ray Lewis."
 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM         #1876
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ
Six UM seniors have last chance to match hype
Posted on Sun, Aug. 05, 2007
Digg it del.icio.us reprint or license print email
By BARRY JACKSON

Related Content

* Tough background motivates UM's Phillips

With practice opening, some buzz on a six pack of UM seniors who entered highly touted but have endured a bumpy road because of injuries or inconsistency, in several cases, unfulfilled promise:

• Quarterback Kyle Wright: UM people have commended his improved leadership, communication and film study habits. Now, as he battles Kirby Freeman, coaches want to see him avoid sacks, do a better job finishing off drives and improve his decision-making. Said ABC/ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit: ``I'm very surprised not only is he not putting up big numbers, [but] to not even solidify himself as the guy -- if you had told me that four years ago, I would say no way that would be the case.''

• Receiver Lance Leggett: Although last season was his best (38 catches, 584 yards), more was expected from the nation's 21st-best player (rated by rivals.com) in the 2004 class. But coaches and teammates see big changes.

''He looks like a top-three receiver in the country,'' cornerback Randy Phillips said. ''He's faster and not dropping balls'' anymore. One key: He's stronger and 15 pounds heavier, said receivers coach Marquis Mosely, adding: ``If defenses don't double-team Lance, they will pay.''

• Receiver Darnell Jenkins: At Central, he was named Miami-Dade County's male athlete of the year. But besides sustaining a season-ending knee injury in the third game of 2006, he also ''was a guy you couldn't count on,'' Mosely said. Jenkins and coaches determined in March it was ''best for me to step away and come back focused.'' And now? ''He has matured,'' Mosely said. ''He's holding himself accountable.'' Jenkins, who shed his dreadlocks, said, ``I'm more of a leader now, a team player. I used to pout when I didn't receive the ball.''

• Linebacker Tavares Gooden: Rated among the nation's best linebackers in the 2003 class, the former St. Thomas Aquinas standout missed most of 2005 (shoulder) and hasn't been the star some expected. Now he's battling sophomore Colin McCarthy to start.

''Being a highly touted athlete, I feel I haven't done enough for this program and it hurts me inside,'' Gooden said Friday, eyes tearing up. ``I thought I'd be the next [big] thing, and I haven't. Jon Beason tells me if I play with the aggressiveness I box with, I'll be dominant.''

• Cornerback Glenn Sharpe: After returning from the second of two major knee injuries (different knees), Sharpe wasn't the same player early last season and admits becoming fatigued early in games. Now in his sixth season at UM, Sharpe said he's 100 percent. But on Saturday, he was second-team, behind Randy Phillips and Carlos Armour.

• Running back Charlie Jones: Rated the nation's fifth-best back in 2004 by rivals.com, the South Dade grad lost his starting job after three games in '06 and finished with a meager 3.4-yard average. Now he figures to be a third-stringer behind Javarris James and Graig Cooper. ''Jones will have carries,'' running backs coach Tommie Robinson said. ``You've got to have three backs.''

CHATTER

• Another eye-opening Randy Shannon discipline story: James said some players who mess up (late to class, etc.) must lie on the field and roll 100 yards. ''You get dizzy,'' said James, who has done it once.
 10 years ago '04        #1877
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - -

Six days into preseason camp, the University of Miami Hurricanes conducted a live scrimmage Thursday morning at Cobb Stadium, which is the on-campus track and soccer stadium.

"We had a game, special teams and all, so guys could get used to the tempo of what it's really going to take to play an entire game," UM head coach Randy Shannon said. "The funny thing (in a scrimmage situation) is you almost cover every situation possible - short-yardage situations, even goalline. The guys did a good job. There weren't many penalties. We have to correct some things on a whole, but for the most part, it was aggressive and they played well."

The Hurricanes played four six-minute quarters, which included a halftime period. The teams were divided into orange and white, wearing this season's new game uniforms. Shannon said he wanted to simulate as much of a real game as possible, which included special teams going live.

"We had a couple of good kickoff returns," he said. "We had one or two punt returns over 10 yards, and another fair caught. The biggest emphasis this year -- since they moved the ball back five yards (on kickoffs) -- is that the ball is always going to be returned. You better work on your return and cover game. You really don't ever go live (on special teams) this early, because you're always afraid of injuries. But you have to do that, because guys have to get used to it."

Miami returns nine starters on offense and eight starters on defense. Most of the starters along the offensive line are back, as well as 10 players who caught at least one pass in 2006. UM also returns two experienced quarterbacks and four of its top five rushers.

"I was pleased with everyone's enthusiasm," Shannon said. "Sam Shields made some plays. The receivers caught the ball well. We had some nice runs. The defense kept up and played the run well. It was good all around. This was the first scrimmage. We have two more scrimmages and a lot of practices in between. We'll find out more by the time that third scrimmage comes around."

The Hurricanes return to their regular practice schedule at the Greentree Practice Fields at 7:50 a.m. Friday. UM will hold its first two-a-day practice Saturday.

Notes:
Offense Has Good Showing
Miami's offense continued to show signs of big play capability early on in preseason. Shields made a nice grab on a long pass from Kirby Freeman. "Kirby made some good passes today," Shannon said. "He had some good deep balls. Kyle Wright was patient, didn't throw any interceptions and didn't take sacks. Like we've said, whichever one can manage the game and help us to win games, that's what will best for the team. Both of them did a good job today." Shannon also expressed his satisfaction with the play of the offensive line. "We had a couple of big plays in the passing game and a couple run plays that were great," he said. "I always tell them, you're not going to always dominate the whole game. Be patient, stay calm and things are going to happen as long as you do that."

Ponder and Cook Out
Senior linebacker Glenn Cook was injured in Wednesday's practice and will miss early season game action. Shannon said the early prognosis could be between three to four games for Cook. Cook was the fifth-leading tackler for the Hurricanes last season. He posted 64 tackles, four for loss and seven quarterback pressures. Junior safety Lovon Ponder is also injured but is expected to return soon. Shannon said Ponder will be available for the first game of the season against Marshall. Senior Tavares Gooden, sophomore Colin McCarthy, junior Eric Houston and junior Spencer Adkins shared time at linebacker in the scrimmage. "Whoever you have, you have to coach," Shannon said. "The guys here, we recruited. You have to coach them, so we'll be fine. Really, at this level, you have to have four to five linebackers. Two guys who can play outside and two guys in the middle. That's about all you can use to get ready for a game each week."
 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM         #1878
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 10, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Dwayne Allen bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Fayetteville (NC) Terry Sanford High School TE Dwayne Allen committed to Georgia last December.

Since then he's opened things up.

Asked if he remains a Georgia commitment, he says, "No comment."

He says he's been talking with Hurricane coaches and that "Miami is high on my list. I'm definitely considering Miami. I like their tradition, the way they put out tight ends.

"Georgia, Miami, North Carolina and Clemson are my top four for right now in no particular order."

He later adds that "Georgia is probably ahead because I've had more contact with them."

He says he plans to take an unofficial visit to Miami in the near future.

But he says he has no plans to solidly commit anywhere anytime soon.

"I'm not sure when I'll make a decision," he said.

What's his timeline for picking a school?

"There's no telling when I'll decide," he said. "I'm going to probably wait till February. There's a possibility of me going to any of those four schools. In the end it depends on their offense and who impresses me."

He's being recruited by Cane coaches Michael Barrow and Joe Pannunzio.

"They try to get me familiar with their offense, how they use the tight end, get to know me as a tight end," Allen said.

As a junior Allen had 25 receptions for 551 yards and one touchdown.

Allen has a couple of ties to Miami.

He's friendly with incoming UM hoops freshman Julian Gamble.

"We played on the same AAU team this summer," Allen said. "He just says Miami's great, that it's a good place to be. He was ecstatic going down, was very happy."

Allen says he's also getting pushed to Miami by current Cane commitment Jordan Futch.

"We've talked a bit," Allen said. "He's just showing me love, showing me it's a family down there."
 10 years ago '04        #1879
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
CORAL GABLES Fla. -- Running back coach Tommie Robinson told us in this Q&A how his unit is progressing through the first week of preseason practice, who led the team in rushing during the scrimmage Thursday, and his philosophy on playing and coaching freshmen.

Miami has five running backs all battling for carries this season: sophomore Javarris James, freshman Graig Cooper, senior Charlie Jones, freshman Lee Chambers, and junior Derron Thomas.

How did the running backs do during yesterday’s scrimmage?

"The scrimmage went well. We made some mistakes, but for the most part everything was good and positive. We put those guys in tough situations and everybody responded well. All of the guys did well—fullbacks and tailbacks. I was really pleased with the scrimmage yesterday."

A guy we don’t hear much about is Derron Thomas. How has he performed to this point?

"He did a good job yesterday. A matter of fact, Derron was probably the leading rusher in the scrimmage yesterday. He had some good runs, good reads and made some good decisions. I am very pleased with how Derron performed yesterday."

Have you been pleased with how your players have responded to everything during the preseason practices

"The guys are responding pretty good. We have thrown a lot at them and they have responded real well. They are f!ghting through the heat and for the most part I have been pleased with them as a group."

How much do you put on your freshman in terms of a.ssignments and responsibilities? How do you bring freshmen along?

"We put it all on them and see what they can handle. That will give us an indication on what he can and how much he can handle out here. We don’t hold back on them at all. We have those freshmen out there and they are getting the same teaching, same training and same reps as everybody. Graig Cooper is a freshman and he has responded well and so has Lee Chambers."

Specifically, how has Lee Chambers done so far?

"Chambers has turned out to what I thought he’d be before fall practice began. He is a real explosive kid who is a tough runner and has a tough mindset. He is going to have a chance to be a good football player."
 10 years ago '04        #1880
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
CORAL GABLES Fla. -- Tight end Richard Gordon has recently gained notoriety because as a 6-foot-4, 260 pound tight end, he will be receiving reps as a kickoff returner this fall practice.

While it is an interesting scenario to have a 260-pound kick returner, I’d much rather see Gordon line up as the starting tight end in 2007—versus Marshall.

Gordon is most likely the current fourth string tight end on the depth chart because he switched to the offense this past summer after playing on the defensive line and his knowledge of the offense is presumably lower than DajLeon Farr, Chris Zellner, and Dedrick Epps. Though both Zellner and Epps see a lot of playing time at H-back.

An athlete like Gordon must be on the field. The fact that Randy Shannon is giving Gordon a legitimate shot at returning kickoffs this season illustrates the type of talent and athleticism Gordon possesses.

Right now, I’m not convinced Farr, Zellner, or Epps are the answer at tight end. In 18 games played during his two years at Miami, Farr has caught four passes for 30 yards. Epps caught zero passes in six games played. Zellner, whose strength at tight end is his blocking ability and is considered primarily an H-back leads all candidates with two touchdowns and nine receptions for 40 yards in 21 games played during his two seasons.

Gordon is the type of talent a coach should throw on the field and let him figure it out. Farr, Zellner, and Epps have not separated themselves as being the number one guy at tight end so why not put the player on the field who has the potential to have the greatest impact for UM.

“Richard is a big-time athlete who has a lot of ability” head coach Randy Shannon said. “We sat down as an offensive staff and talked about where we can best use Richard. Right now he will be a tremendous help on offense and he is a weapon so we have got to use it.”

Miami ranked 87th nationally in total offense last season—just behind Louisiana Lafayette and Baylor—and needs all the weapons they can have in their arsenal to improve those numbers. Graig Cooper is a new weapon at running back who this season will see significant playing time.

Richard Gordon is a similar type of weapon who should be used on offense. He will bring a spark to the offense that the rest of the tight ends can’t. Gordon should be the starting tight end in UM’s first home game versus Marshall. Miami doesn’t need a solid tight end that can block well, they need a tight end who can put points on the board.
Home      

most viewed right now
Tig ol Bittie Ms. Christine Lashawn
43 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside When you try to sell 4 new games and a system and GameStop offers $30
91 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is she too pretty to be a pornstar?
129 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Who is Currently your NFL MVP?
85 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
FCC plan would give Internet providers power to choose the sites customers see..
206 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Lit UPS Worker delivering a package near you soon
82 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside ‘Aquaman:’ Director James Wan Says His Film Won’t Use Air Bubbles Like..
30 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Cormega Responds To The Steve Stoute Interview Via IG
86 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy