Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Brother acts like little sister is invisible & she believes him
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Her ass is stupid thick
30 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
72 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #1801
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
good to hear the offense is ballin....almost time for football...
 07-08-2007, 11:01 AM         #1802
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

Coach: Randy Shannon | Staff
In 2006: 7-6, 3-5 ACC; Beat Nevada 21-20 in MPC Computers Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 9. Defense: 8.
Key losses: TE Greg Olsen, OG Anthony Wollschlager, DE Baraka Atkins, DT Bryan Pata, S Brandon Meriweather.
2007 breakdown: Top 10 players | Outlook | Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule

Breaking down the offense

Overview: This is not the Miami offense of old, but the coaching staff has legitimate reason to believe this unit is at least heading in the right direction. Miami averaged only 15.9 points per game in ACC play last season. The Hurricanes had only one player on the All-ACC first or second teams (first-team tight end Greg Olsen). Olsen is now gone, leaving Javarris James - a Rivals.com second-team freshman All-American - as the Hurricanes best offensive playmaker. Patrick Nix joins the staff from Georgia Tech, where he called plays for only one year before heading to Coral Gables. Chief on his list of concerns is the quarterback situation. Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman continue to vie for the starting job.

MIAMI TOP 10
Calais Campbell had 10.5 sacks in his first season as a starter.

1. DE Calais Campbell
2. S Kenny Phillips
3. RB Javarris James
4. RB Graig Cooper
5. CB Glenn Sharpe
6. DE Eric Moncur
7. S Lovon Ponder
8. CB Randy Phillips
9. WR Sam Shields
10. OT Jason Fox
Best player: RB Javarris James. By the third game of the 2006 season, James emerged as one of the best freshman running backs in the country. He was a second-team Rivals.com freshman All-American after rushing for 802 yards, the second-highest total for a Miami freshman.

Most overrated: James. It comes with the territory. James will always be compared to his cousin Edgerrin, who starred at Miami before heading to the NFL. In his sophomore season, Javarris James will likely split carries with true freshman Graig Cooper, who is a potential superstar.

Most underrated: WR Lance Leggett. A five-star receiver, Leggett was much maligned for his 32 combined catches in his first two seasons. His overall improvement last season was lost in a dismal year for the offense as a whole. Leggett finished with 38 receptions and 584 yards last season.

Must step up: OT Reggie Youngblood. Youngblood started seven games at left tackle last season, but will likely move to the right side to make room for Rivals.com second-team freshman All-American Jason Fox. Youngblood, a five-star prospect in 2005, has yet to reach is potential. He was a highly touted signee, but he has struggled with injuries. Miami needs him to be a major factor on the line as a junior.

Shoes to fill: Tight end. From Jeremy Shockey to Kellen Winslow II to Greg Olsen, Miami has cranked out elite tight ends in the last few years. The string could be coming to an end this season. Junior DajLeon Farr, who has four career catches, will take over in Olsen's old spot. Farr takes the job with far less fanfare than Winslow and Olsen when they became starters. Converted defensive end Richard Gordon brings plenty of athletic ability to the position, but he needs to learn the offense.

Impact newcomer: RB Graig Cooper. Cooper signed with Miami in 2006 but did not qualify. A year later, he left prep school as a five-star running back. The true freshman should push James for carries and could surpass him as a game-breaking back.

Battle to watch: Quarterback. Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman enter the fall competing for the starting job. Neither was consistent last season. Wright made nine starts and Freeman four after Wright's season-ending thumb injury. Wright has more experience, but Freeman offers more mobility. The decision between the two might wait until the opener.

New in 2007: Randy Shannon retained only two members of last year's offensive coaching staff – wide receivers coach Marquis Mosely and tight ends coach Joe Pannunzio. New offensive coordinator Patrick Nix is the team's third coordinator in three seasons, but he promises to use personnel a little more creatively at Miami.

Grade the units:
QB: C. Quarterback U is struggling. The competition between Wright and Freeman could last to the end of fall.
RB: B-plus. The run game is showing signs of returning to Miami standards with the true freshman Cooper joining James.
WR/TE: B. There's not a lot of depth, but Shields performed well as a freshman and we're counting on the improvement of Leggett.
OL: B-minus. The line returns four starters, including Rivals.com second-team freshman All-American Jason Fox, who started 12 games last year.

Breaking down the defense

Overview: Miami hasn't been as dominant as in years past, but it isn't the defense's fault. This side of the ball was championship-worthy last year, finishing in the top 10 nationally in yards per game and rushing defense. Now that former coordinator Randy Shannon has been elevated to head coach, the leadership will fall on Tim Walton - who spent the last three seasons as defensive backs coach. The secondary has been the strength of the defense in recent years, and this season All-America candidate Kenny Phillips returns at safety. The defensive backfield must deal with losing Brandon Meriweather to the NFL and Anthony Redd*ck to a season-ending knee injury. Along with Meriweather, linebacker Jon Beason was a first-round pick in the NFL Draft. That marks seven consecutive years in which a Miami defensive player was taken in the first round.

Best player: DE Calais Campbell. As a sophomore, Campbell finished with 20.5 tackles for a loss and 10.5 sacks in his first full season as a starter. At 6-foot-8, 282 pounds, has tremdendous size is continuing to improve.

07-08-2007, 12:45 PM         #1803
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Miami Schedule
Date Opponent
Sept. 1 Marshall
Sept. 8 at Oklahoma
Sept. 15 Florida International
Sept. 20 Texas A&M
Sept. 29 Duke
Oct. 6 at North Carolina
Oct. 13 Georgia Tech
Oct. 20 at Florida State
Nov. 3 N.C. State
Nov. 10 Virginia
Nov. 17 at Virginia Tech
Nov. 24 at Boston College
Most overrated: LB Tavares Gooden. Gooden was among Miami's leading tacklers as a sophomore in 2004 with 83 stops, but his career has hit a stumbling block after a shoulder injury kept him out of the 2005 season. In his first season back, he had 41 tackles and was left on the sideline when Miami went to its nickel package. Miami could use a healthy Gooden – and his experience – in its linebacking corps.

Most underrated: DE Eric Moncur. At 6-foot-2, 260 pounds, Moncur doesn't have the size of fellow end Campbell. However, Moncur should be an excellent complement on the other side of the line. He started twice as a redshirt freshman and three times last season. As a junior, he will be a full-time starter.

Must step up: Linebackers. You won't find Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan or Jonathan Vilma in this year's defense. Gooden, Glenn Cook and Darryl Sharpton have been solid contributors the last few years, but the star-in-waiting in this group is sophomore Colin McCarthy.

Shoes to fill: Secondary. Miami's secondary should be a strength, but it is not without its issues. The Hurricanes lost star safety Brandon Meriweather to the NFL and Anthony Redd*ck to injury. This should still be a formidable group with juniors Kenny Phillips and Randy Phillips leading the way.

Position battle: Linebacker. Miami has a mix of young up-and-comers (McCarthy, Sharpton) and veteran part-time starters (Gooden, Cook, Romeo Davis) who are vying for playing time.

New in 2007: Shannon was elevated to head coach in part for the work he has done on the defense in recent years. He was Rivals.com's Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 2005 and turned in another top defense in '06. Look for him to keep his hands in the defense, but Walton will add his own wrinkles. Former Miami star Michael Barrow will coach the linebackers in his first full-time coaching job, while Wesley McGriff will take over Walton's spot as DB coach after four seasons at Baylor.

Grade the units:
DL: A. Campbell and Moncur could be the best defensive end duo in the ACC, if not the country. Tackle Antonio Dixon should be a playmaker as well.
LB: B-minus. McCarthy is Miami's next star linebacker. Miami needs each linebacker to step up this season.
DB: A. Kenny Phillips and Randy Phillips aren't the only standouts. This is a unit rich in experience with Glenn Sharpe and Lovon Ponder contributing.

Breaking down the special teams

Season outlook with bowl forecast
Since Carl Selmer in 1976, every coach left Miami of his own accord until the firing of Coker. Each first-year Miami coach since Jimmy Johnson has had a winning record, and two (Dennis Erickson and Coker) have won the national title in their first seasons. A national title will be far-fetched in year one for Shannon, but a winning record should be an easy task. Miami's schedule includes tough road trips to Oklahoma, Florida State and Virginia Tech. The Hurricanes are a long shot BCS team, but a Gator or Champs Sports bowl is more likely.
Overview: Miami special teams are undergoing an upheaval of sorts. Longtime kicker Jon Peattie and veteran punter Brian Monroe are gone. Redshirt freshman Matt Bosher should take over the punting duties. Daren Daly, who handled four kickoffs last year, will be the place-kicker. Without star returner Devin Hester last season, the punt return team was second to last in the ACC (7.2 yards per return); the kickoff return team was 10th (19.9 yards). The Hurricanes spent much of the spring looking for players to bring some life to the return game.

Best player: LS Ross Abramson. It doesn't say much about Miami special teams when a long snapper checks in as the best returning special teams player. Still, Miami says its senior snapper didn't have a bad snap all year.

Grade the units:
K: C. Former Florida State walk-on Daly came out of spring with the edge over Bosher and earned a scholarship.
P: C. Bosher was the No. 6 kicker in the class of 2006 but will enter the fall as Miami's punter.
KR: C. Bruce Johnson returns as the leader on a kick return unit that didn't have a return longer than 34 yards last year.
PR: C-minus. After last year's struggles, Miami tried Shields, Cooper, Doug Wiggins, Ryan Hill and Chavez Grant at the position.

Breaking down the coaching

Overview: Miami received its share of criticism for firing Larry Coker, who went 60-15 in his first head coaching job. But Coker's final season was a tumultuous one for the Hurricanes. Amid going 7-6, there was the murder of Bryan Pata and an ugly on-field brawl with Florida International (which followed a brawl with LSU in the Peach Bowl the previous season). Shannon may not have been the first choice, but he could be the perfect choice. Along with his credentials as Miami's defensive coordinator, Shannon brings a no-nonsense approach and plenty of credibility. He grew up in the area and has been a part of three UM national titles as a player or coach. The biggest loss on the coaching staff could be line coach Mario Cristobal, who will be coaching across town at Florida International.

Grade the coaches:
Head coach: B. Shannon is untested as a head coach, but since the Howard Schnellenberger era Miami has benefited early from each of its head coaching changes.
Offense: B. No current offensive coach has been at Miami for more than two seasons. Coordinator Patrick Nix is a name on the rise, but has only been a play-caller for one season at Georgia Tech.
Defense: A. Tim Walton will look to continue the success Shannon had as coordinator.

Special teams: B-minus. Joe Pannunzio will have to replace both kickers and both returners in his second year on the staff.

David Fox is a national writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at .

Rivals.com is counting down our Preseason Top 50. Coming tomorrow: No. 19.
 9 years ago '04        #1804
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1393 1393
from the same guy who broke the Buchanon and McCray commitments

"I'm not that kind of, i told you so type guy, but i have to be very careful with u guys from now on. you go crazy if the post is not there the next minute. The reason for Aldarius is that he has no phone so it is hard to get in touch with him. but other than that, i went out to the 7 on 7 today and not to say this as a Cane fan, but this is not the same old team. I saw something in them that's just unexplainable. I know that everybody can look good n short, but we have some very nasty skill position players. I have not seen the offense have that much fun since Dorsey left. Bye the way, he was out there throwing after practice with some of the Wide Outs. It was good to see old guys out there give some pointers( Rosco, Kelly Jennings, Marcus Maxey). Freshman Wide Outs were good, the best one is McKinzie, this guy is nasty man. He will play right away. Hankerson is the next best then Kayne, but he needs a little more work (if he can keep his mouth shut, HE TALKS TOO MUCH AND DOES NOTHING TO BACK IT UP) He has a lot of talent. Sam, Darnell, Lance, Ryan Hill look very very very good. No where close to last years group. This time last year they almost did not complete a single pass. Kyle looks very comfortable, he sticks out more than others. He got most of the reps today, that's how they are doing it for some reason. Allen Bailey is the biggest 18 year old i've ever seen in my life, he is huge and he runs like he plays a skill position. All freshman Db's are for real too. Let u know more soon. Oh, I forgot that Futch said he went out bowling with Forston last nite with Jacory and some other friends, and Marcus told them that he is getting tired of recruiting and may pull the trigger soon. of course to us. Good to see my boy John Vilma. OUT."

07-09-2007, 07:42 PM         #1805
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
July 9, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Travis Benjamin bio

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central High School WR Travis Benjamin says he's talking with Hurricane coaches "every three or four days."

He primarily speaks with coaches Marques Mosely and Clint Hurtt.

"They want me to come there badly," he says. "When they talk to me they're telling me stuff and where I fit into the program.

"They say that I remind them of Santana Moss."

The 6-foot-0, 170-pounder with 4.3-second speed says he's not in a rush to make a decision.

"Recruiting's going well," he said. "Hopefully by the middle of the football season I'll have made a decision."

He lists Miami, Florida and LSU as his top three.

"They're all sort of even," he says.

As for what he's looking for in a college, Benjamin says, "A good academic school and a good program."
 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM         #1806
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
July 9, 2007

Jim Martz, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Greg Shaw bioVideo highlights

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Miami (FL) Monsignor Pace High School OT Greg Shaw is now up to 27 scholarship offers.

"Wisconsin offered two weeks ago," he said.

Miami is among the schools on his offer list, and Shaw says he's staying in contact with UM coaches.

"I've been talking to the head coach, Randy Shannon, he talks to me on MySpace, sends me some comments," Shaw said.

Asked schools at the top of his list, Shaw says, "Oh, man, I have no idea. All I know is I have some visits I'll go on.

"I don't want to commit anywhere too early. I just want to get to my senior season and help out my team and go from there."

He does say, "Miami's in the top."

When it comes to narrowing things down, Shaw has a couple of people close to him that he can lean on to help deal with the recruiting process: His brother, former Cane and current Louisville linebacker Willie Williams, and former Cane Joel Rodriguez, who is his offensive line coach in high school.

"Willie, he wants me to go wherever he goes," Shaw said. "When he was at Miami he told me to go there. Now he's at Louisville so he wants me to go where he goes.

"Coach (Rodriguez), he says to take things one at a time, don't get bigheaded. He says to stay focused and work hard."

Has Shaw gotten any other advice?

"Just from my mom," Shaw said. "She just says little stuff like look at a campus before you commit and talk to people, ask different questions. She was giving me questions to ask. I went to a Wisconsin camp and she asked why I wasn't on their recruiting board. But until they offered they weren't putting me up there, and they hadn't offered but now they have."

Shaw recently attended the Wisconsin camp.

"They said I did real well and that I would fit perfectly into their program," Shaw said. "I think that's a nice school."
 07-09-2007, 07:44 PM         #1807
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pretty cool video of NFL Hurricanes coming back and working out (we got the best strength coach in college or NFL don't sleep on him)

9 years ago '04        #1808
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
July 9, 2007

Related Links:
Travis Benjamin bio

Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central High School WR Travis Benjamin says he's talking with Hurricane coaches "every three or four days."

He primarily speaks with coaches Marques Mosely and Clint Hurtt.

"They want me to come there badly," he says. "When they talk to me they're telling me stuff and where I fit into the program.

"They say that I remind them of Santana Moss."

The 6-foot-0, 170-pounder with 4.3-second speed says he's not in a rush to make a decision.

"Recruiting's going well," he said. "Hopefully by the middle of the football season I'll have made a decision."

He lists Miami, Florida and LSU as his top three.

"They're all sort of even," he says.

As for what he's looking for in a college, Benjamin says, "A good academic school and a good program."
 9 years ago '04        #1809
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
damn this n*gga rakim always a step ahead... hahaha motherfu*ker.

it's all good tho' fam
 9 years ago '04        #1810
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Scandal may cost Northwestern High a football season
It could be a season without Bulls football, as Miami-Dade Superintendent Rudy Crew considers suspending Northwestern High's program.

Housed in a building that's barely a decade old, Liberty City's Northwestern High has had more than its share of ups and downs over the years.
Liberty City school's pride intact amid adversity
From the streets of Liberty City to the halls of the Miami-Dade School Board building, the word is out: Superintendent Rudy Crew may suspend Northwestern's state champion football program for the 2007 season.

The school district has gone as far as consulting the Florida High School Athletic a.ssociation in the wake of a scathing grand jury report on the coverup of a s3x scandal involving a star football player and a 14-year-old girl at Northwestern.

The district wants the athletic a.ssociation to clarify rules and transfer options for players.

If Crew opts to suspend the season, it will be the first such action by a Florida superintendent, FHSAA Commissioner John Stewart said.

''It hasn't happened like this, per se,'' he said. ``But there hasn't been anything as egregious as this either.''

He called the possible suspension of the season ``appropriate. It sends a strong message to all schools that these things need to be dealt with in a timely and appropriate manner.''

The incident has made headlines across Florida since December, and an investigation indicated running back Antwain Easterling was given special treatment after he was charged with lewd and lascivious battery on a minor. Though a school board rule mandated a 10-day suspension, Easterling was never disciplined, and school and district officials allowed him to play in the championship game.

`PRETTY EGREGIOUS'

''I think it's pretty egregious when a player violates state law and it's ignored,'' the FHSAA's Stewart said.

The grand jury investigation led to the indictment of former Principal Dwight Bernard, who was charged with two counts of official misconduct for failing to report the incident. Easterling, who will play for the University of Southern Mississippi this fall, completed a pretrial diversion program that will keep his record clean. On Friday, the school's athletic director, Gregory k!llings, resigned after 23 years there.

Crew has been quietly meeting with community leaders for the past two weeks. Though the superintendent outlined several ideas that deal with academic and personnel changes at the F-rated school, it's the possible suspension of football -- the cornerstone of the school's athletic program and the pride of the Liberty City community -- that has people talking.

''For him to go forward with it is ill-advised,'' said Larry Williams, president of the Northwestern Alumni a.ssociation, who said Crew revealed at a private meeting last month that he was considering the suspension.

On Saturday, Williams met with members of alumni groups from Jackson and Central senior high schools to mobilize the community to speak out against the idea at the next school board meeting. Crew is expected to announce his decision at the Wednesday meeting.

''As we speak I've not heard that he plans to change his mind,'' Williams said. ``We won't allow our young people to be hurt by a situation that goes on probably at every high school.''

Crew went home sick Monday, but District spokesman Felipe Noguera stressed that no official decision had been made.

''When he does, he'll announce it,'' Noguera said.

Monday afternoon, Northwestern players followed their usual summer workout routine. Starting middle linebacker and senior Quavon Taylor said the team is trying to stay upbeat.

`NOT OUR FAULT'

''Coach [Roland Smith] told us today to not think about it, that everything was going to be all right,'' Taylor said. ``I know it's not right, but it's not our fault. We never knew about Antwain [Easterling] until it came out in the news. Why should everyone pay for it?''

Taylor said he and his teammates plan to attend Wednesday's school board meeting.

''I don't want to play anywhere else,'' said offensive lineman Brandon Washington, who transferred from Edison High in the spring. ``I want the chance to help this team repeat as state champions. I want to be a Bull.''

Said Taylor:``We're all Bulls, for life.''

Senior Ernest LeCount, 17, hopes his talents playing snare drum in the Northwestern marching band will lead to a college scholarship. A suspension would be a setback.

''If it happens, it's going to be a major disappointment -- for the football team and for the band,'' LeCount said.

And with games regularly drawing sellout crowds, the revenue losses will be significant -- for Northwestern and the schools they play. ''Northwestern has been the No. 1 draw in Dade County for years; it's everyone's big game,'' said William ''D.C.'' Clark, president of the alumni a.ssociation at Miami Central.

Central's game against Northwestern last year drew about 20,000 to the Orange Bowl. At $10 a ticket, plus all the concessions, T-shirts and other paraphernalia sold, it was the most profitable game of the season for Central.

''I do agree with Dr. Crew that they should put as much emphasis on academics as athletics,'' Clark said. ``But the transgressions of a couple people should not lead to a whole group of athletes being thrown under the bus.''

damn,i hope it doesnt have a negative impact on all the guys miami is recruiting from da West:banghead:
 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM         #1811
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
That would be fu*king horrible. Why punish the kids that have nothing to do with it..
 07-10-2007, 03:59 PM         #1812
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
July 10, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room

With 7-on-7 drills underway, there's a lot of buzz around the talented true freshman receivers.

But there's another noticeable new face lining up at receiver this summer as well.

Tailback Graig Cooper, a freshman who arrived in January, is also lining up in the slot.

"I'm real excited about playing there," Cooper said. "I'm glad about the way they're using me. I like catching the ball, running. I love the situation of me being all over the field.

"I'm going at wide receiver and running back, and I'm doing fine catching the ball."

Cooper says he's "trying to get bigger, faster and stronger" this summer.

He hopes to be part of a big season for the Canes.

"Every time I see a player I say, `Man, I think this is the year,'" Cooper said. "I've heard upperclassmen say that, too. We're just working so hard. I'm very excited about this season coming up. We all talk about how we're ready to do this."

Of 7-on7's held so far, Cooper said, "The offense is doing real well. Everyone's working together as a team. The offense is doing well, the defense is doing well. We're competing out there. People were saying, `This is how it should be all the time.' People are running around, the freshmen are doing well, everyone's jumping around. We're just trying to rebuild and take it all the way this year. We're putting in time and working hard."

Cooper said he's impressed with how freshman quarterback Robert Marve is coming along.

"He's learning the offense," Cooper said. "Kyle (Wright) and Kirby (Freeman) are taking him under their wing, teach him what he needs to know and help him out as much as they can. It's the same thing JJ (Javarris James) is doing for me and what I'm doing for the other freshmen.

"[Marve] is always in the film room, always taking notes trying to learn the stuff. That's all he needs to be trying to do."

Cooper says of the other freshman running back on campus, Lee Chambers, that, "He's doing well. He's just got to learn, like I did when I first came in. We're teaching him as much as we can before two-a-days come along. It's a learning process for everybody."

* Cooper said he expects to work in returning punts and kicks in fall practice but that he doesn't know yet if he'll be doing that in games.

* Cooper, asked about the mood in the weight room, said, "You don't hear anything negative. Everyone's talking positive, helping each other out. It's all love. Everybody's working real hard. It's a brotherhood. It's crazy, man. I'm loving it. Everything's just positive."
 9 years ago '04        #1813
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ
Position battles loom for Canes
By BARRY JACKSON

Buzz on the most intriguing position battles on the UM football team as we await the start of practice Aug. 4:

Quarterback: Several UM people consider senior Kyle Wright the favorite, but one UM football official insists the job remains genuinely open, meaning junior Kirby Freeman can seize it if he clearly outplays Wright in August.

Among the factors in Wright's favor, besides his impressive physical skills: He has much more playing experience than Freeman, is the more accurate passer (60.8 completion percentage in 2006, compared with Freeman's 54.6), and is less error-prone (a UM football staffer says one key factor will be which quarterback makes fewer negative plays). Last season, Wright had seven interceptions in 250 passes; Freeman had eight in 108. Freeman, who's more mobile, takes fewer sacks.

UM staffers say Wright has studied film more this offseason than the past. (Freeman has been in the film room a lot, too.) Coach Randy Shannon said coordinator Patrick Nix will have a major say in the decision.

Linebacker: Look for three starters to emerge from the group of Glenn Cook (11 starts last year), Tavares Gooden (four), Darryl Sharpton (who ended '06 as the starter at middle linebacker) and spring standout Colin McCarthy. Though Cook is somewhat limited athletically, Shannon values his intelligence and versatility.

Offensive line: Jason Fox and Reggie Youngblood are set at tackle, as is Andrew Bain at one guard spot. A.J. Trump, back from knee surgery, gets first crack at center. If he doesn't win it, starting guard Derrick Morse could shift to center. Freshman Orlando Franklin and spring standout Chris Rutledge will push for time at guard or tackle.

Cornerback: An intriguing battle looms between Randy Phillips and Chavez Grant to start opposite Glenn Sharpe, who said he felt fatigued early in games last season after returning from a second major knee injury. Coaches love Grant, but don't discount Phillips, a hard hitter who regained the starting job for the final five games.

Tight end/H-back: Chris Zellner is a terrific blocker and coaches love him, but tight ends coach Joe Pannunzio said he will play all four tight ends -- Zellner, DajLeon Farr (a gifted receiver whom Pannunzio calls much improved), Dedrick Epps and converted defensive lineman Richard Gordon.

• UM coaches have been very pleased with Lance Leggett and hope he can sometimes command double coverage to create mismatches elsewhere. Senior Darnell Jenkins, determined to finish his career strong, is the favorite to start at the other receiver spot. . . .

The word on receiver Sam Shields is he must get tougher. . . . We hear Jermaine McKenzie has been the most impressive of the four incoming receivers and is a strong candidate for return duties.
 9 years ago '05        #1814
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
props
 9 years ago '05        #1815
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
fu*k yea less than a week before ncaa drops
 9 years ago '04        #1816
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
July 11, 2007

Related Links:
Davon Johnson bio

Miami Booker T Washington High School WR Davon Johnson says he's talking once or twice a week with Hurricane coach Clint Hurtt.

And it's not just quick little conversations.

"When I talked to him two days ago we talked for a good 45 minutes," Johnson said. "I always talk to him for that long. We were just talking about academics, and we talk a little football. He tells me what's going on down there."

Johnson currently lists 12 scholarship offers and has a top three of Miami, South Carolina and South Florida.

He says he's never visited South Carolina but that he plans to during his senior season. He says an announcement could come anytime before or after that visit.

As for South Florida, he says he's visited the school for camps his ninth and 10th grade years and that their coaches text him regularly.

He's not listing any clear frontrunner, but he does say, "Miami stands real high with me."

Asked the chance he'll wind up a Cane in the end, he simply says, "We shall see. That's all I can say. We shall see."

Johnson does know this: UM wants him badly.

"Coach Hurtt, he's telling me how bad the depth chart is with the wide receivers and how he wants receivers like me to come in," Johnson said. "He talks about me having a role of coming in and playing in the slot."

Johnson says UM is not putting on any pressure to make an early decision.

"They say it's up to me right now," Johnson said. "They said they can wait, so it's up to me. I don't know when I'll decide."
 9 years ago '04        #1817
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
July 11, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room

DWAYNE HENDRICKS Q&A

Q: How is the defensive line shaping up?

Hendricks: everybody's working hard, and that's what the summer is for.

Q: What are your expectations for yourself?

Hendricks: Just to be able to contribute by working hard, know my plays and study myself and a lot of spring film. I look technique wise for what I can do better – the bad stuff and work on that.

Q: Might you play some end?

Hendricks: I might play a little end and some other mix-up packages, but mostly tackle.

Q: Behind the more experienced Teraz McCray and Antonio Dixon there's not many guys that have seen the field a lot. With a four-man rotation, who might fill out the rotation?

Hendricks: It's still up in the air. It's whoever works harder in the weight room and gets it done.

Q: What are the expectations like for the team?

Hendricks: My expectations are high. I'm excited for the whole team, what we can do and what we are going to do.

Q: What about as a defense, can this defense match how well you played last year?

Hendricks: Every year since I've been here we've gotten better, and I don't see any falloff.

Q: What's the mentality under Randy Shannon?

Hendricks: He pays attention to the little stuff. It's that, being disciplined and staying focused on and off the field.
 9 years ago '04        #1818
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Northwestern OK to play -- provided coaches get ax

Northwestern High football likely to continue

Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Rudy Crew announced late Wednesday afternoon that Northwestern High's defending state champion football team will be allowed to play this year -- but without the school's popular coach and his staff.

''You will play football this season,'' Crew said during the county's School Board meeting. ``But under a one-year probationary period. I'm not inviting back any of the current coaches on the football team.''

Crew had been weighing whether to suspend the program.

His decision to preserve the program but ax the coaches stems from a s3x scandal involving the team's top player and a 14-year-old girl, with whom he engaged in s3x on a restroom floor. The player, star running back Antwain Easterling, was allowed to participate in games right up through the state championship despite complaints from the girl's mother.

Upon hearing of Crew's decision, current and former members of the football team that gathered to watch the announcement walked out of the auditorium in unison.

Several players appeared shaken by the news and a few had tears in their eyes. Several players were approached by local media for reaction, but refused to comment.

''These aren't just coaches for a lot of these kids,'' local pastor Dwayne Richardson said. ``They are father figures to a lot of these kids and now they're being asked to go on without them.''

Before announcing his decision to dismiss the current coaching staff, Crew showed the audience from afar a lengthy list of names of Northwestern staff that, according to the grand jury investigation, knew of the incident last year involving Easterling and the 14 year old.

Crew, however, did not reveal the names on the list.

Crew also said that Charles Hankerson would remain as the school's principal for the coming school year. Crew also stated that he wanted each player to sign a written contract that would require them to maintain a proper code of conduct on and off the field, and that any violation of it would result in that player's suspension from the team.
 9 years ago '04        #1819
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 585 585
 Deeangoe said:
fu*k yea less than a week before ncaa drops

did they ever release the roster's, i wonder what freshman's made the game
 9 years ago '04        #1820
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1393 1393
 booie4 said:

did they ever release the roster's, i wonder what freshman's made the game
im pretty sure Marve,Cooper,Farquharson,Wiggins and a few more made the cut...
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Middle School Student in China Proposes to His Teacher, Gets Mercilessl..
26 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Plano High School Curriculum: Beer Pong & Algebra Teacher Puzzy
92 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside The Rothschild Conspiracy explained in 4 minutes
87 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
370 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Envy talks about the difference between Diddy and 50 Cent (Drink Cha..
42 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
73 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
160 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Short niggas take a L. What else is new?
148 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy