Image(s) inside The Girl Who Allegedly Gave Lil Peep The Drugs That Killed Him
118 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Jerry Jones Catching Heat For Video With "Racial Comments"
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Minneapolis Tribune: Harden's NBA 'Eurostep' is unfair and maybe should be..
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA After That Awful GAME, Lonzo Ball DROVE & LOCKED HIMSELF IN LAKERS GYM TO ..
60 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 07-26-2007, 10:56 PM         #1781
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm busy as sh*t, but I had to stop by and gloat.. WE DOING BIG THINGS n*gga.. Its a wrap, south florida=lock down
 10 years ago '04        #1782
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,965 | Props total: 2748 2748
Catching up with Jacory Harris
Before setting off for the Florida Sports Writers a.ssociation college coaches meetings in Tampa this weekend, I caught up with UM quarterback recruit Jacory Harris Friday afternoon to discuss his week-long trip out to California for the EA Sports Elite 11 Quarterback Camp.

As reporters, we're not supposed to have favorite players to interview. But I can't help but feel good everytime I speak to Miami Northwestern's leader. Jacory is quite honestly the type of kid you root for because he's a shining example of what the other kids who come from the rough streets of Liberty City should strive to be. He's an excellent student with a 3.4 GPA who takes honors classes, a tremendous leader who has held his team together through Northwestern's recent troubles and one heck of a quarterback. He proved that this week in the mountains in Mission Viejo, finishing fourth among 12 of the nation's most talented quarterback recruits in the Class of 2008 based on the opinions of guys like Joe Montana, Heisman candidates Colt Brennan (Hawaii), Chad Henne (Michigan) and many other talented camp counselors.

Harris, rated a three-star recruit by both Rivals and Scout.com, is sure to climb up the recruiting rankings soon. But even that won't do him justice in terms of value. The fact Miami was able to nab him away from LSU (his admitted first true love) has ultimately resulted in the Canes getting his more highly -soughtafter teammates WR Aldarius Johnson and DT Marcus Forston this week. Both love Jacory and gravitate towards him as their leader and are only following him to Miami because offensive coordinator Patrick Nix and company stood by his side when most so-called experts have had their doubts about a 6-4, 170-pound gunslinger being nothing more than the typical "athletic quarterback." Harris got rid of that stereotype this week and UM is richer for having believed in him before he proved it to the rest of the world.

To get an idea of what the camp counselors thought of Jacory, here is what former Tennessee quarterback Tee Martin said of Harris in an interview with Student Sports Magazine.

Tee Martin on Jacory Harris: "To me, he would be the guy I would take if I could pick just one quarterback here," Martin said. "I think his upside is off the charts. He throws a great ball, has a quick release and his ability to throw rolling out is unreal. For me though, he brings so much more to the table than just how he plays. He's the guy that pumps up everyone else in the group he's throwing with. If one of the guys makes a good throw, he's yelling encouragement to him. He challenges the other guys to try and complete 10 balls in a row and if they do, he says, 'lets get 20.' Even at the beach, all the guys were playing volleyball just having fun but when Jacorey went over there, it instantly became very competitive. Then he went over to the basketball court and dominated there. I just love the kid and feel he could be special."

Harris scored 13 points in the passing skills competitions on accuracy from various passing distances. He placed eighth overall in the points standings. But his ability to throw on the run earned him the best feet award.

Harris, who was the first quarterback from Miami-Dade or Broward ever to compete in the prestigous camp, told me he had a ball out in California. In addition to the camp, he played beach volleyball, had a dunk competition with Star Jackson, a one-on-one receiving showdown with camp MVP and Nebraska bound Blaine Gabbert (who has 4.4-speed) and even a scary moment when he was tossed by 15 foot waves back onto the beach at Laguna Beach. In addition to all that, he came home with an autographed football and plenty of memories.

Anyway, I want to share with you some of the highlights of our half-hour Q&A session Friday. Our complete interview has been uploaded to Herald.com for your listening pleasure. Follow this link.
 10 years ago '04        #1783
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
Q: What was the experience like?
A: "It was a wonderful experience because I got to meet a lot of people that I didn't know from across the nation. It was all great athletes and great players. It was a great opportunity. It was held at an All-Asian University in Mission Viejo. I had never been out to California, but the view was real pretty. It was something that I would be glad to move there one day."

Q: But not before before you finish college right?
A: "No. After college (laughter)."

Q: So what exactly was the competition like? Who did you meet? Who impressed you? And how do you think you did?
A: "There were 12 quarterbacks in the competition. We had to do footwork drills, good ball/bad ball, 7-on-7, we had chalk and film. We had those type of drills and I finished fourth... to pick one quarterback as the MVP would be unfair. I was telling my mother that we all were basically the same people. The way we act, the way we carry ourselves on the field. I'm usually going to say I am the best quarterback. But your ego changes when you get up there and you see the competition. When I started the competition, I didn't ever think I'd be able to sit in those same seats those same great players -- Chris Leak, JeMarcus Russell, Troy Smith -- once sat in. That really shocked me. Plus, when the counselors told us at the beginning of the camp we were projected to be one of the worst group of quarterbacks to ever come to the Elite 11 according to Scout.com, Rivals and all that, we came into the camp with a chip on our shoulders and more confidence than ever. It turns out the last day, Colt Brennan, Andre Woodson and all them told us we were the best group ever because everybody there was good. They said the past Elite 11 camps had 3 or 4 people who couldn't throw the ball. But they said everyone here [this year] had something and could do something on the next level."

Q: I heard you spent a lot extra time breaking down film on your own with some of the coaches, late into the night. What made you want to do that?
A: "Me, [FSU QB recruit] EJ Manuel and [Lake Worth High] Star [Jackson] would go down there. Sometimes it was me by myself. But sometimes we'd go down and look at film and break it down so that in the morning when he would ask us questions we knew what he was going ask us. One of the guys we were worked out with that I really learned from was Colt Brennan from Hawaii. He had been through somethings himself and showed that no matter what, you got to work through some things if you want to accomplish that bigger goal. [Missouri quarterback] Chase Daniels was somebody I hung out with too because he played for Southlake Carroll [whom Northwestern plays Sept. 15 in Dallas] and we were too busy trash-talking about that. We went on the board and broke down coverages and he would show me what he would do. It was a lot of things, but I took something from every counselor that was there."

Q: How much of the stuff you saw were you familiar with, and unfamiliar with?
A: "I was familiar with the majority of the stuff. But the language, that's kind of what was throwing me off. But when I was looking at things it was kind of the same stuff I see here in Florida, but some of it was on a college level, the linebackers dropping way back and doing certain things. I learned a lot looking at tendencies and other things I took from that film session."

Q: For some of the Canes fans who might be hearing you for the first time, just tell them when you started playing quarterback for the first time and how it all came about.
A: "I started playing QB my ninth grade year when as a receiver I was running a route and the quarterback through the ball behind me. got pretty mad and I took that opportunity and grabbed a ball and threw a strike. And that's when they said you need to play quarterback."

Q: Last night, before you got home your teammate Marcus Forston became the fourth Northwestern player to commit to UM. Were you surprised he announced this early? And what does it mean to have four of you guys going to school together?
A: "I wasn't that surprised because he had told me when I committed he was going to do it right when I do it. So, I did it and I called him and he was like 'No man, I'm not ready for that yet.' But I always knew because before this week they were talking about how it was going to happen soon. So, I was just waiting for it to happen. I really wasn't surprised... But it's great because now all we got to do is take what we have here and transfer it to Miami and basically do the same thing we're doing here at Miami. I think we can win some national championships there."

Q: When did your love affair with the Canes really begin and when did you really know you were going to be a UM quarterback?
A: "I really wanted to go to LSU at first even though I was a die-hard Cane because I wanted to go out of state and that was the team I was hoping to get an offer from. But then, I thought about it and I was like let me wait to see if I get a Miami offer. I did. Then, I weighed them out. Then, LSU stopped talking to me. So, I said I'm going to go with my obvious choice, my home team -- and the team I want to be at, so why not choose it."

Q: Now, there's a chance after this Elite 11 camp, some teams might come after you, maybe even LSU. Is your recruiting done with?
A: "Yeah my recruiting is done with. I'm going to Miami no matter what."

Q: Can you talk about your relationship with Patrick Nix and what it was that impressed you about him? And what about your relationship with coach Shannon and the rest of UM's staff?
A: "He's a real down to earth person and he's real cool. He'll tell you the truth, really. He's someone you can hang out with. He tells me 'We're married.' We're real cool. He went bowling the other day with the offense, so you know he's real down to earth. The relationship with coach Shannon is real good because he knows my father. They played against each other in high school. My daddy played for Northwestern in '84 and played against Randy at Norland."

Q: Seven months ago, this program was coming off a bad season in which they went 7-6, they had the Bryan Pata tragedy, the brawl with FIU, what has Randy done to get 16 commitments this early in the game -- and 16 good ones at that? What do you think Coach Shannon has done to change the image of Miami?
A: "I really don't know. Coach Shannon is real cool. The way he recruited as a defensive coordinator, he's the same as a head coach. He'll treat you the same no matter what. The things he has in place, the 2.5 GPA to live off campus, you can tell he's for the student athlete look. He's not just about football. He's about books before football and that's the way a coach should always be. A coach should never be about football over education or football over family. And that's the type of coach Shannon is."

Q: Is that something you think kids in the innercity really want, a father figure? You grew up with a good father, good parents, but a lot of your teammates and others don't have fathers in their lives. Do you think coach Shannon being that father figure, laying the discipline down is what has made him popular with a lot of recruits?
A: "Yes because without that, you'll have those guys running around and getting in trouble all the time. And that's just made the difference... there are a lot of other programs that will be like UM is only taking you because they're trying to get the rest of [Northwestern's players]. And when I hear that, I'll be like OK, so why are you telling me this? I know you're trying to get me. Why are you trying to down Miami? I haven't heard coach Shannon or any of his a.ssistants ever say anything. They never even talk about other schools. They talk about us and how we're doing in life. They never talk about football, except how we're going to do our senior year."

Q: Why do you think that approach has been so successful?
A: "Because it makes you feel good because you know now somebody is going to have your back. Nobody is going to do anything behind your back and they're going to do what's best for the child."
 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM         #1784
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
CATEGORY RANKINGS - CORNER BACKS

July 27, 2007

Rivals.com recruiting staff
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

The Rivals.com recruiting experts have broken down countless hours of film and racked up plenty of frequent flyer miles to see the top prospects compete at events across the country to come up with the most extensive and accurate prospect rankings and evaluations you will find. In the process of evaluating overall talent, several prospects gained notice for their mastery of specific skills.

Today we rank the top five cornerback prospects in five categories. Five-star Patrick Johnson is so dominant, it is almost a surprise when he is not at the top of a list.

CB rankings: Fastest | Best ball skills | Best coverage skills | Most physical | Best athlete

Fastest

Monroe
Jeremy Crabtree's take: To be a big-time cornerback, you have to have speed, and that's what this group brings to the table. They not only have the track-type speed, but they have great ability to translate their quickness to the football field.

Mike Farrell's take: Monroe can flat out fly as one would expect from a track star. These other guys can move as well, but Monroe is in a class of his own.

JC Shurburtt's take: Speed is perhaps the most important thing for a cornerback, in particular the ability to turn and run. I have seen Harris and Hester and Hester is a tick faster, so I have to question that, but both can move.

# Vote: Who is the fastest?
1. D.J. Monroe, 5-9, 165, Angleton (Texas) Monroe highlights
2. T.J. Bryant, 6-1, 175, Tallahassee (Fla.) Lincoln Bryant highlights
3. Patrick Johnson, 6-1, 193, Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely Johnson highlights
4. Brandon Harris, 5-10, 173, Miami (Fla.) Booker T. Washington Harris highlights
5. Aaron Hester, 6-0, 180, Compton (Calif.) Dominguez Hester highlights
Best Ball Skills

Johnson
Crabtree's take: Johnson is without question the best in my opinion, but also watch out for Hester. He's just so deadly going up and getting the football, making adjustments and just making the key plays when the ball in the air. He's very adept at making things happen once the quarterback releases the ball.

Farrell's take: Patrick Johnson is a unanimous selection at the top for best ball skills. He has receiver-like hands and ability to adjust to the ball.

Shurburtt's take: Johnson without a doubt has some of the best ball skills I have ever seen in a cornerback.

# Vote: Who has the best ball skills?
1. Patrick Johnson, 6-1, 193, Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely Johnson highlights
3. Aaron Hester, 6-0, 180, Compton (Calif.) Dominguez Hester highlights
4. D.J. Monroe, 5-9, 165, Angleton (Texas) Monroe highlights
5. Jarred Holley, 5-11, 170, Easton (Pa.) Holley highlights
Best Coverage Skills

Cissoko
Crabtree's take: Johnson is one of the best I've seen in quite some time. He's able to lock you down and use his speed, quickness and athletic ability to stay on you. Jenkins, Cissoko, Williams and Bryant are also very, very good in this area. I think Cissoko could easily be No. 2 on this list, but the top three are about as solid in this category as it gets.

Farrell's take: This was a close battle between two Floridians with Johnson edging out Janoris Jenkins. Both of these guys stick to receivers like glue.

Shurburtt's take: I think Jenkins is too high in this category, but other than that, it is a very strong group top to bottom. Johnson is the best in coverage I have seen.

# Vote: Who has the best coverage skills?
2. Janoris Jenkins, 5-10, 167, Pahokee (Fla.) Jenkins highlights
3. Boubacar Cissoko, 5-8, 171, Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech Cissoko highlights
4. Aaron Williams, 6-1, 175, Round Rock (Texas) McNeil Williams highlights
5. T.J. Bryant, 6-1, 175, Tallahassee (Fla.) Lincoln Bryant highlights
Most Physical

Jenkins
Crabtree's take: I really love how Jenkins is able to use his body to make things happen. Part of being a great cornerback is knowing when to be physical and use your body and your hands to defend passes. All of the guys in this group are really strong in this area.

Farrell's take: Corners don't come around as physical as Jenkins every year. He thrives on bump and run coverage.

Shurburtt's take: Top to bottom a very strong group, exactly how I would rank them. Jenkins' best attribute is his strength, which he uses at the line of scrimmage to jam wide receivers.

# Vote: Who is the most physical?
1. Janoris Jenkins, 5-10, 167, Pahokee (Fla.) Jenkins highlights
3. Patrick Johnson, 6-1, 193, Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely Johnson highlights
4. Neiko Lipscomb, 6-2, 175, Tucker (Ga.) Lipscomb highlights
5. Makiri Pugh, 6-0, 194, Charlotte (N.C.) Independence Pugh highlights
Best Athlete

Whitlock
Crabtree's take: I personally would have liked to see Hester higher, as I think he's just a rare athlete that can translate that ability to the field quickly. But I also see no problems with the others on this list, too. Not only do they bring a good total physical and speed package, they're great athletes, too.

Farrell's take: Johnson wins in a runaway but Whitlock is a great athlete in his own right as well.

Shurburtt's take: All of these guys are versatile and have many different strengths as a player.

# Vote: Who is the best athlete?
2. Charles Whitlock, 5-11, 172, Chester (S.C.) Whitlock highlights
3. Charles Mitchell, 5-11, 187, Clarksdale (Miss.) Mitchell highlights
4. Aaron Hester, 6-0, 180, Compton (Calif.) Dominguez Hester highlights
5. T.J. Bryant, 6-1, 175, Tallahassee (Fla.) Lincoln Bryant highlights

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
 10 years ago '05        #1785
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
good pull we was tryin to slide... its hard to pull them out of miami
 10 years ago '04        #1786
1000bluntz 
space
space
$17,243 | Props total: 11141 11141
Man I hope UF can land Janoris Jenkins, he may not be the fastest kid in the world but goddamn he can cover.
 10 years ago '04        #1787
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
July 30, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

With fall drills rapidly approaching, the CaneSport.com staff projects the top five impact players on offense for the Canes:

Javarris James led the Hurricanes last year as a true freshman with 802 rushing yards and four touchdowns while averaging 4.7 yards per carry. He also showed good hands out of the backfield with 17 receptions. He will only get better with a year under his belt, and he is poised for a monster 2007 season a.ssuming he can stay healthy -- he was injured as a high school senior and played through some injury problems last year. One thing James must work on is doing a better job of avoiding negative plays. He had 49 yards in lost yardage when he was tackled in the backfield last year.

No, you're not seeing things. We feel Graig Cooper is the exact breakaway punch this offense needs. Yes, he's a true freshman. But he was here in the spring and is picking things up nicely. Cane coaches want to get the ball in his hands, and if that happens he and Javarris James could be one of the best 1-2 punches in the nation. Cooper's acceleration and the fact that players say one man can't take him down without help have high expectations heaped up early. Don't be surprised to see Cooper and James to line up in games together.

It may surprise some Cane fans that Shields is rated above Lance Leggett and Darnell Jenkins, who many think will emerge as the starters. But if they do start it will be based on the experience factor, and regardless Shields will see plenty of action. Why does CaneSport rate him the third-best offensive threat? Three reasons: Speed, speed, speed. This kid ran the fastest time of any Hurricane in post-spring testing at 4.26 seconds. You better believe coaches will be getting the ball in this game-breakers hands. He should easily eclipse his 501 receiving yards as a true freshman in 2006.

Lance Leggett has gotten a rap for making mistakes in the past, from silly block in the back penalty to dropped passes. But the bottom line is he has a world of ability and should be able to beat most cornerbacks in the nation 1-on-1. He has to step up to the plate and become a go-to threat that will draw double-teams and take pressure off receivers like Sam Shields, Darnell Jenkins and Ryan Hill. Last year Leggett had 38 catches (one more than Shields) for 584 yards with four touchdowns. He has to improve those numbers in a big way to help this offense become explosive.

Take your pick. Both Kirby Freeman and Kyle Wright have tons of ability and potential. They simply must live up to it. Whichever of these two is named the starter must stay away from mistakes and keep the team moving down the field. They didn't do that last year, but with a new offensive coordinator and revamped system this should be their year to shine. They can rely heavily on CaneSport picks Nos. 1-4 to help turn this team from the offensive dud into the juggernaut of the past. We like either of their ability to get the job done in this offense.
 10 years ago '04        #1788
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
some f*g**t's season predictions for the canes:

Vs Marshall W 13-10
Randy Shannon’s Head Coaching debut is a close shave victory for the Canes against a game Marshall side.

@ Oklahoma L 6-24
This game will be a whitewash. Miami’s defensive line isn’t quick enough to create a sufficient pass rush and OU will run all over Miami. As for the Hurricanes offense, two FGs may be generous.

Vs FIU W 17-10
FIU is one of the worst teams in D-1 football but will play up to Miami in this very big game for the program. The memories of last year’s brawl will have FIU playing with some intensity looking for an upset.

Vs Texas A&M L 7-13
Denis Franchione’s team needs to do something this year to save his job. This will be a key non league win for the Aggies.

Vs Duke W 17-0
Miami’s defense will smoke Duke

@ North Carolina L 13-20
Butch Davis Tar Heel team will be up for this game. Will Cam s3xton be a game breaking QB this year? Well against Miami everyone will appear to be a game breaker.

Vs. Georgia Tech L 7-17
Kyle Wright’s history against Tech alone will explain this scoreline.

@ Florida State L 3-35
FSU is going to be much improved this year, and with Miami’s weak D-line, look for Antoine Smith to have a Greg Jones like game in this one.

NC State W 17-10
Tom O’Brien still can’t beat Miami

Virginia L 14-20
UVA has all the talent to make a run this year in the ACC. Al Groh needs it to save his job.

@ Virginia Tech L 0-42
One of the low points of Miami’s football history

@ Boston College L 7-20
Miami would have quit on the season by this time and BC finally gets over the hump versus the Canes snapping a 15 game losing streak to the Canes.

Bottom Line: Much like Bill Callahan, Ty Willingham, Jim Tressel, and others Randy Shannon is going to experience some hard knocks before Miami returns to any sort of national prominence. 4-8 may sound awful, but it's a logical rebuilding year for the Canes, and better days lie ahead.

@ this n*gga thinkin we'll score 10 points a game. not even gator or seminoles fans are this delusional.

Last edited by madness; 07-30-2007 at 03:09 PM..
 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM         #1789
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Who the hell said that
 10 years ago '04        #1790
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
some dude that has his own blog:

he kinda sh*ts on the gators, too. must be a seminole fan
 10 years ago '04        #1791
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
That's the most ridiculous sh*t i've read in a long time... this n*gga prolly doesn't even watch college football.
 07-30-2007, 06:01 PM         #1792
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
July 30, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Publisher

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room

The last player Floyd Burnsed sent to Miami ended up leading the Hurricanes to the 2001 national title. He also was an unheralded athlete from Northern California. He wasn't short, but he was deemed too skinny and lacking the arm strength to be a major college quarterback. Back then, Burnsed told Miami coaches that they had no idea what kind of player they were getting. His name was Ken Dorsey.

Burnsed is uttering those words again almost a decade later about a different unhearalded prospect from the same region. But this time his scouting report seems even more preposterous.

Burnsed is touting a walk-on from Solano Community College named Patrick Smith.

"This isn't your typical walk-on," Burnsed says. "He's a real player. I wouldn't be surprised if he contributes very early and eventually becomes a starter."

First let's tell you what Smith is – an inside linebacker who Burnsed says makes plays all over the field. Last season, he had 124 tackles, eight sacks and two interceptions and was All-Everything at Solano the past two years.

Here's what Smith isn't – tall enough to inspire any major college to offer him a scholarship. Smith is just 5-11, though the Hurricane roster gives him an added inch and lists him at six feet. He weighs 235 pounds, resembling Zack Thomas (5-11,228) in stature.

"I'm heading into this with a chip on my shoulder," Smith said. "I want to be so good that I make them put me on scholarship."

Smith was in a similar situation coming out of Concord DeLaSalle High in 2005, fed up that he wasn't being offered the opportunity to play Division I football. So he went to play junior college football at Solano, intent on changing things with the quality of his play. It didn't happen.

Syracuse and Texas A&M toyed with the idea of offering a scholarship, but backed out. So Smith applied to school at Miami -- he had a 3.6 grade-point-average --,and when he was accepted hopped on a plane to hand-deliver film to Miami's football offices. He was given a spot on the team as a walk-on and will wear uniform number 53.

"I have spoken with the coaches and they say it is all fair, that I will have a chance to compete," Smith said. "We have three seniors this year who will be gone next year and I am one of six linebackers. I'm coming to play. I'm not intimidated at all. It's a little nervous being so far from home. But I'm ready."

"I love the prestige of the program and I have heard great things about the new staff. Miami has produced some of the top linebackers in the nation. It will be a great place to learn. I want to be a pro football player. I would love to live that dream of eventually making it."

Smith arrives in Miami on Sunday to begin chasing that dream.

This is what we need. Hungry players who want to play for MIAMI not the coach or there friend or for the NFL.. PLAY FOR THE U
 10 years ago '07        #1793
sonof504 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,922 | Props total: 86 86
 madness said:
some dude that has his own blog:

he kinda sh*ts on the gators, too. must be a seminole fan
damn even i think those predictions are psycho
 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM         #1794
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sorry I been slipping lately.. But DAMN THE CELTICS GOT KG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! whew
July 31, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Adewale Ojomo bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Hurricane signee Adewale Ojomo had hoped to report with the rest of the freshmen on Thursday.

But now it looks like that might not happen.

"Everything is still in question," he said. "I'm still waiting to hear from the Clearinghouse."

Ojomo says he has already cleared two hurdles: He has received his admission letter from the University of Miami, and after his ACT score was flagged two weeks ago the ACT has now cleared the score.

"It came back clear - they reviewed it and it came back cleared," Ojomo said. "It's no longer flagged. I went from 13 to 19. I didn't study for first one, then studied for the second one. The ACT cleared it."

What he's now waiting on is paperwork.

"It's a form for night school that shows what courses are night school courses," Ojomo said.

He says his principal is supposed to send in the paperwork today.

"The Clearinghouse said it's a two week process to review it once they get it," Ojomo said.

He hopes the Clearinghouse will expedite things because of his situation.

"I'm waiting on clearance," he said. "I'm still hoping I can get it by Thursday. I can't move into Miami until I get it."

* Shawnbrey McNeal's high school coach, Ron Johnson, told CaneSport.com that McNeal is in Miami. But there is no official word yet on if McNeal will report Thursday.
 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM         #1795
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
July 31, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Travis Benjamin bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Rumors were flying recently that WR Travis Benjamin was joining the list of Hurricane commitments.

Just one problem.

Benjamin wasn't in on the news.

"It's Miami, Florida and LSU – they're all tied," Benjamin said.

He says he will announce a final decision before his senior year begins Aug. 22.

Benjamin says he's staying in regular contact with Cane WR coach Marques Mosely.

"He's a good coach," Benjamin said. "We talk about football, life outside of football."

Benjamin says he plans to drive to UM to watch on for a fall practice.

"I don't know when yet," he said.

Living in a UF hotbed at Belle Glades Central High, Benjamin says "I don't feel any pressure. I just get advice to go wherever I choose."

The 6-foot-0, 170-pounder with 4.3-second speed says his playing style is compared to Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith.

"I'm explosive like him," Benjamin says.

Last season Benjamin finished with 25 receptions for 700 yards with 15 touchdowns.

:applause: :applause: :applause:
 10 years ago '04        #1796
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
Tatum transfer?

[pic - click to view]

With less than 72 before the official arrival of incoming freshmen at the University of Miami, I have to admit -- much like the natives -- I'm getting a bit restless.

I'm tired of gathering interviews over the phone and traveling to far off places to sit in on media days. I want to see some helmets, some hitting, something. With that said, I plan to fill in the rest of this week with as much as I can gather without actually being at a place where a UM player or coach is. How do I do that? With a little R&R (Rumors and Reasoning), the newest segment I plan to do every now and then when it's needed.

I'll begin with what is currently making the natives on green and orange message boards everywhere a bit restless -- the hot rumor former disgruntled USC linebacker Joshua Tatum could be transferring to the University of Miami. And since this is a blog and not our actual newspaper (they don't allow us to use sources anymore in the paper), I'll report on what I've heard from my sources. First though, let's explain who Tatum is. Tatum (listed at 6-2, 220 with 4.5-speed in the 40 as a senior) was one of the nation's most highly sought-after linebacker recruits in 2005 out of Oakland McClymonds High in California. He picked USC early and signed with them, but said Miami was a close second. In a Scout.com article, he said he might have picked the Canes if not for Miami being so far from home.

Monday, on message boards painted green and orange everywhere, the rumor began spreading Tatum was on UM's campus. In an effort to solve the mystery, I spoke to one player who said he did indeed run into Tatum on campus. "Josh told me all he has to do is work out some paperwork and he'll be officially in by tomorrow," the player told me. "He was in the lockerroom today, bringing his stuff in."

But then, later, I spoke to another source who said coach Randy Shannon stance at the monent is to not take transfers. I've never heard Shannon take such a chance publicly. But Saturday at the Florida Sports Writers a.ssociation meetings, Shannon said he had four scholarships that went unused on national signing day this past February. If there's a position that honestly could use some late additions, its linebacker.

Shannon apparently has already added one linebacker -- albeit a preferred walk-on -- in Patrick Smith, according to Canesport.com. Smith is an undersized standout who played at Concord De La Salle and for Ken Dorsey's old coach who is now at Solano Community College in California. Getting two LBs isn't far-fetched, even with the list of four current linebacker commitments for 2008. Plus, I find it hard to believe, Tatum, who is from Oakland, would fly across the country to be told "no." If he had a good relationship with UM coaches during his recruitment, then I got to believe Shannon might still have a soft spot for him and take him even if he supposedly doesn't want transfers.
 08-01-2007, 01:57 AM         #1797
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I remember him, he took a visit with us if I remember correctly. And Randy was the main coach during his recruitment.. Kids nice
 10 years ago '04        #1798
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
A Deeper Bond? Maybe destiny
For the last two weeks, I've spent the better part of my time picking the brains of local high school football recruits about what I consider the biggest story this offseason at the University of Miami: the magical transformation of the Canes' image.

In attempt to solve the riddle even further, I've intensified my search this week. Beginning Monday and running through Thursday, I've been involved in recording video interviews with the top high school football recruits and players in Dade and Broward for our high school football preview. I've spent hours talking football, from recruiting, to their respective high school teams, to every once and a while managing to sneak in a question on their impressions of what's going on at The U.

Why the intrigue? Because it boggles my mind how quickly Miami has gone from being the ugly school who could have drowned after the brawl with FIU, the internal strife, and the death of a player into a school both players and 16 committed recruits say has become the shizz-nit again. I know practice doesn't begin until Saturday and the first game is now only one month away, but ignoring the bigger message coming out Coral Gables these days is hard to do.

I know a few recent commits in the past week have spoken highly about the Canes and how Shannon and company have won them over. They've all said the same things, pointing to the new disiciplines instilled by Shannon, the honesty during recruiting of the coaches, and the focus on more important things other than football. But there has to be more. Monday night, I spoke with Hollywood Chaminade linebacker and UM commitment Jordan Futch who echoed those sentiments and really broke down the message that has won recruits over better than I think anyone else has.

"I think discipline, it's been a big thing. Coach Shannon, he's always been a big recruiter. And now he has a great team behind him. He understands that the best talent is the local talent. For years, he's been going after local talent. And when Coker got there, they weren't able to do that. They were going all over the state and places like Utah for talent when we were right here at home. So, now, coach Shannon has said he's going to get the talent down here. And even with all that negativity, everybody talking about The U fell, The U fell, coach Shannon understood he had some problems and he could fix it. So, that's what he's been doing. He's been disciplining the guys at The U right now. He's just really cracking down. He's taking the guns back. He's taking the names off the jerseys. So, his regime should be a nice one because he's not playing any games. He's in there to win. He's in there to teach the kids and be their father figure away from home. He's changing everything around, back to the way things have used to be."

But the truth is while I not only I think things have gotten back to the way they used to be in terms of Miami being the s3xy place to be again (there are 12 commitments from West Palm Beach south), its reached a level its never been before. Never in all the years I've been covering high school sports or followed the Canes have I seen so many kids commit to Miami this early in the game. Much less, this many from the South Florida area, a place where signing day drama and suspense is as important to recruits as winning a state title. But somehow, some way, Randy and his guys have managed to easily weed through the personal joy of what the recruiting process can be and convince guys like Marcus Forston (a kid with over 40 scholarship offers) to pick the Canes before even taking an official visit somewhere else. And while things can always change and likely will (I'm sure one or two guys will end up switching at the last second and many more will still take their trips) the battle in my opinion has already been won. This next recruiting class at Miami is going to be insanely special.

At the FSWA Media Days, Shannon pointed out how he believed his relationship with many of the recruits' parents -- from his old days in high school -- has played a big role in Miami being very successful this early in the recruiting game. And to a point, I agree. But I'm also to the point now, that I believe something even more supernatural has occured in the Canes favor. Somehow, this might have been destined to happen because Miami needed it to so badly.

This group of juniors and seniors -- the Classes of 2008 and 2009 -- in Miami-Dade and Broward have long been earmarked by coaches for years as being perhaps the most talent-rich ever. Since their Pop Warner Days, there has been tremendous hype about the kids at Northwestern, the kids at Booker T. Washington, Patrick Johnson and the kids at Pahokee. I've been hearing it myself now for a few years. Former Canes a.ssistant coach and FIU coach Mario Cristobal -- a guy I consider a Jedi Knight when it comes to recruiting -- shook his head when I asked him Sunday how loaded the local classes are. "It's sick," he said. "The next two classes could be the best ever. I'm not exaggerating."

Not only do I believe they're great, I think these talented local kids themselves, many who have grown up with green and orange in the veins, have been destined to be part of the mass revival at UM. With every painful occurence of last season at The U, the connection grew even stronger. The final nail in the coffin? Shannon, a guy from the streets of Miami himself, being named coach. Look, I'm not trying to be Oliver Stone or create some conspiracy theory here. But there's no doubt in my mind recruits like Futch, Northwestern quarterback Jacory Harris, Forston, Aldarius Johnson and many of the other local commitments have a deeper connection. How else can you explain this perfect recruiting storm for this Canes coming out of nowhere?

For starters, many of these recruits have known each other for years, played against each other in Pop Warner and admired each others talents. Futch told me Monday how he and Harris' father used to work together and how they grew up playing together. Harris' dad played against Shannon in high school. Northwestern receiver Aldarius Johnson played with Futch at Miami Lakes Optimist. Brandon Harris, who is not a commitment (yet), told me he always wondered in Pop Warner what it would be like to play with the boys at The West (who he played against in Pop Warner). Same with Patrick Johnson, who did his thing up in Broward. It's like little by little, all of these guys who grew up dominating local Pop Warner leagues and rooting for Miami as boys during the Canes' last few great seasons (in 2000, 2001 and 2002) had this future coming and have embraced it.

Harris and Futch told me how they've spent a lot of time together at UM, even since before commiting. They've gone down to watch 7-on-7 practices, hung out in the dorm rooms of current players and stayed up all night playing video games with each other in Demarcus Van Dyke's dorm room. Patrick Johnson told me how he and Kenny Phillips talk on the phone all the time. There's plenty more stories I've come across in the past few weeks about these bonds. All of them prove to me the bond between Canes and future Canes may be deeper and stronger than its ever been. And it couldn't have come at a better time for the program.
sall about the U
 08-01-2007, 02:13 AM         #1799
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ive been saying that these two classes can bring us back to multi national championships. There so stacked esp on defense and speed on offense.. But we gotta win games this year on TV to keep the vultures away. And like every Miami team that wins we need that supremely confident QB.
 10 years ago '04        #1800
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
I remember him, he took a visit with us if I remember correctly. And Randy was the main coach during his recruitment.. Kids nice
yeah i remember seeing some tapes on him, he's good....this would be big considering linebackers are our weakest link on defense
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Rap God Back: Official Eminem "Revival" Anticipation and Discusion thre..
421 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Hoops hottie's sexy basketball videos are a total slam dunk
51 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Columbian teacher arrested for forcing students to have sex with her
150 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside Shots Fired: Blizzard's New Commercial Decimates EA & The Pay To Win Cu..
45 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ohhhh sh-t is this it fellas. Eminem "Revival" Tracklist!!!!!
69 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snoops reaction when Jay Z wrote “Still Dre”😎
204 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BX ever smashed any of these popular INSTAGRAM chicks?
186 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nov 15 - Terry Crews names his molester live
84 comments
21 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy