Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
154 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
127 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
33 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10-03-2006, 05:27 PM         #161
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 3, 2006

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Marquis Rolle bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Orlando (Fla.) Olympia High School WR Marquis Rolle says he hasn't heard from Cane coaches "in the last few weeks."

Rolle says he had received a conditional offer earlier in the year, saying UM coaches told him they were waiting on his grades.

"I have a 16 on the ACT and have to get my GPA up more so I can be eligible," he says.

Now Rolle says "I have no idea why" the Canes haven't called recently. But I'm still looking at Miami. They're still my No. 1 choice."

Rolle says Ole Miss and FAMU are the schools calling him the most.

He lists offers from Ole Miss, BC, Clemson, Auburn, Ohio and New Mexico.

Rolle has not yet set up any visits.

* In his team's 35-20 win over Cypress Creek recently, Rolle had four receptions for over 80 yards.

"Coach pulled us out early in the third quarter (of the easy win)," Rolle said.
 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM         #162
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 3, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Coach Larry Coker spoke today about UM's upcoming game at the Orange Bowl against North Carolina.

"They're coming off an open date, and their approach is to get better as a team, be more physical in all areas," Coker said. "They're the complete opposite of what we played last week. Their offense is more a power running attack than last week's passing finesse attack. They have two outstanding running backs. The play-action pass is efficient, and they have some really good receivers. They have some weapons.

"Their record is not good. The teams they have lost to have a combined 17-3 record. So they've lost to some pretty good football team. We have to expect the best from North Carolina."

Coming off a harrowing win against Houston, Coker was asked how close this team is to getting back on track.

"We're close," Coker said. "Any time you win, the confidence level is up. The thing we did last week is it wasn't pretty, but the players gave great effort, gave us a chance to win. That's part of getting back on track.

"You look at the game. We had a third more offense than Houston, but not a lot of points. My thought on that is to get back on track, we still have to finish. We had opportunities, didn't take advantage of it. If you play hard, you have a chance."

An anemic offense has caused a lot of Miami's problems.

Coker was asked if he thinks, with a whole new offensive staff, if it was to be expected that this offense would take a step back before taking a step forward.

"I didn't want to think that, but the reality is yes," Coker said. "I'm not being critical of anybody on our staff, but that's part of it. Sometimes you do have to take a step back before you find your identity. Not only a new staff, but look at the freshmen we're playing also. We have new staff members, guys who have never played a down of college football. We started four freshmen against Houston. They played well. But there was a step back. That's why we're trying to approach this as a new season. We have a lot of ACC games left. It's time now to take that step forward.

"I feel good about where we are, but we have work to do and do have to step forward."

* Coker reiterated today that Tyrone Moss's knee is not quite at 100 percent.

But he said that was not the reason Moss didn't play last Saturday.

"I need to clarify -- I criticize our training staff for this because all I knew was Tyrone was not able to play (against Houston) -- Tyrone had severe migraine headaches," Coker said. "He took shots after the game, got medication. He could not play the game, and I thought it was because of the knee. The training staff did not alert me to that until Sunday. Tyrone should have been taken in the dressing room."

Coker said Moss has suffered migraines in the past as well.

* Tailback Javarris James said he has a deep bruise in his right and left thigh but that "I should be good to go by Saturday. It's still hurting a little bit."

Coker said of James that "He could have played Sunday if we played Sunday. I expect him to play."

* Coker said it's possible the team will have receiver Darnell Jenkins back as soon as this weekend. Jenkins is coming off a torn PCL in his knee.

"I don't know that (yet)," Coker said. "He's practiced a little. We'll wait and see."

* Brandon Meriweather says he's playing only "15 percent of the time" at safety. He's being used mostly as a cornerback in nickel situations.

"As of right now I consider myself more a corner than a safety," he said.

Here's what Larry Coker was talking about today:
 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM         #163
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Q: When you look at the UNC games the last two years, is there one particular area of their game that concerns you?

Coker: In 2004, the year they beat us in Chapel Hill, we didn't stop the run at all. They controlled the game. Even late in the game when we had great field position, pinned them inside the five. It's we're going to hold them, kick a field goal win the game. But they come out, have play-action pass, run the football, get in position and their kicker hits the winning field goal. The running game was key. They ran the ball pretty well last year here. They do a good job. Their offensive linemen are big, they have zone schemes and (the running back) gets in behind those guys. We have to do a good job making sure we're explosive and don't let them control the clock and the ball running the football.

Q: With you concentrating on having a good run defense, does that slow down your pass rush?

Coker: Not really. The run defense has been much, much better. The pass rush (problem) has been by scheme as much as anything -- guys are getting rid of the football. Look who we are playing, a lot of guys who can really throw the ball. We are much, much better in run defense. That will be tested this week. They run the ball better than the teams we've played so far. They'll be maybe the best running team we play this year. The two backs they have are about as good as we'll play.

Q: Why is the secondary not intercepting the ball more considering how often other teams are passing against you?

Coker: The main reason is because the ball has been thrown very, very well. The ball is placed where it needs to be. There haven't been many tipped balls. That's a major, major reason. You're playing against good players that put the ball where it needs to be, are well coached. They don't give you many opportunities. The main thing is you just have to keep punching, put pressure on the quarterback and I think good things will happen.

Q: With Meriweather playing a lot of cornerback, how does that play to his strengths?

Coker: I don't know that it does play to his strengths. It plays to our strengths in that we have a player that can play both positions. Not many safeties can also play corner. A Sean Taylor could do it, but not many could do it. Most safeties just don't move that well in being able to change directions. I think he has more of a strength if he's a safety.

Q: Talk about UNC quarterback Cam s3xton.

Coker: They like to run the football. He's very efficient, leads the league in yards per (throw). He has some big receivers. He does a good job of play-action stuff. He's really an efficient player.

Q: Elaborate on Greg Olsen's struggles.

Coker: Greg, since I've been here, I can count three balls he's dropped. Greg's trying to do too much. He just needs to relax and play. He wants to contribute so much. You sometimes get a little too intense. The thing I'm trying to get the team to do is relax. It's football. Let's relax and go play. That's what Greg needs to do. He's really blocking well and is contributing to what we're doing. You don't notice those as much as a dropped ball. I think Greg will be fine.

Q: Is he a worrier-type personality?

Coker: No, I'm a worrier. He's fine. He's an intense player. He's a little too much of a perfectionist.

Q: With Olsen, is it only natural that he's pressing considering he entered the year considered by many as the nation's top tight end?

Coker: That's possibly so. Different people respond differently. Normally people live up to expectations. I think Greg will. His game will elevate. He just has to relax and play, especially when we need plays on offense to get the offense going, it's `I've got to do this, I've got to do this,' and sometimes that can be counterproductive.

Q: Lance Leggett is doing well. What's gotten him back on track?

Coker: One is Lance Leggett. He put in hours over the summer catching 50 million passes. He wasn't satisfied with where he was. The other thing is Marques Mosely. Marques is doing a great job coaching those receivers. They're playing with a lot of confidence. You see how Lance plays without the ball -- he's a phenomenal blocker, probably as good as I've seen in college football since I've been coaching. The big run that Javarris made, Sam Shields knocked the corner down. Lance Leggett ran for 60 yards to get in front of the play. He was really not a factor, yet the effort was unbelievable. Lance played 67 plays, and that's a lot for a wide receiver.

Q: Might Tyrone Byrd play along the line as Alex Pou did last weekend?

Coker: Tyrone is back, should be more ready to play. We're going to play guys that can contribute and keep fresh players on the field. If Tyrone can do that, he'll play. But for sure Pou is a guy that needs to play for us. Pou is smart, he's very athletic, isn't as physical as we'd like but he's a pretty good football player. It's time for him to step up. He needs to help us.

Q: Javarris James touched the ball 11 of the first 14 plays last week. Was that part of the script that Rich Olson came up with?

Coker: My script was 14 of the first 14. Coach Olson, we got him back on the script [laughter]. No, it's part of the script, but also you get a feel of what's good. And if it's good, let's go with it. He really stepped up.

Q: Did Randy Phillips begin last week on the bench because he gave up a couple of big plays at Louisville?

Coker: Well, it's a matter of evaluation. The Louisville game, Deion Sanders would have given up those plays. They have great protection. The guy has time, the whole field to run. I don't fault Randy Phillips for that. Randy has the guy pretty well covered forever. Their guy made a great throw, it was a great catch. We evaluate those guys every week, every practice. That's what we do. There'll be changes probably each week.

Q: How is Ryan Hill's progress, and will he stay at receiver?

Coker: Ryan Hill's progress, that's been really a good move. Ryan Hill is going to be, I think, a special player. He's intelligent, he cares, he's a winner. He's got a great personality about him, carries himself well. I know some of that stuff doesn't mean a lot, is an intangible thing. And he works as hard as anyone on our football team. You wouldn't know he was a freshman. Will he stay at wide receivers? I would anticipate that. He's going to get more playing time as things go. The thing we have to continue to do is get those guys the football more. They're dynamic players. They're better than what people really realize they are, but we have to give them that opportunity.

Q: Have you come up with a reason why Kyle Wright has only two touchdown passes this year, both to backs?

Coker: Well, he only has two touchdown passes. He didn't have a touchdown pass to Lance Leggett, but had a 45-yard pass. Had Lance turned to his right, it would have been a touchdown pass. The other one to Lance at the other end was a tremendous throw, wasn't a touchdown but set up a touchdown. So it's a little misleading.

Q: Is James Bryant going to be involved more now?

Coker: That's up to James. His catchup is pretty good. He'd played the position before, knew it. I've liked what I've seen from him. We can progress his role. The thing about it is guys have to understand whatever you have to do to help us win, that's what you have to do. It may be five plays on special teams, it may be 67 plays (like Lance Leggett).

Q: How did Bryant do blocking-wise?

Coker: He attacked guys pretty good. His technique needs a lot of work. But that's our responsibility as coaches.

Q: When you prepare, even for a UNC, are you finding ACC competition better than the Big East was?

Coker: Certainly where we are, we find everyone a tremendous threat. We're third in the country two years ago and lost to North Carolina. Everything is very competitive. It is week by week. I think North Carolina's back is to the wall a little like ours was a week ago.

Q: Talk about Jon Peattie's struggles.

Coker: It's a little of a mystery. Peattie's a good kicker. He's one for four on field goals. It's something we have to somehow work through. We have to make those field goals.

Q: With Javarris, what impressed you the most about his play vs. Houston?

Coker: The most impressive thing to me the whole day about Javarris -- his negative yards (were) zero. No negative yards. That says a lot. The great ones I've been around can take a two-yard loss and make a four-yard gain out of it -- vision, genetics, sonar, I don't know what it is. But he has some of those qualities.

Q: You've said Bryant needs to play under control. What did you mean by that?

Coker: Just in general. He is so hyped up that he really sometimes (loses) focus. Sometimes even catching the ball in practice, he would just want to tear the ball out of the air instead of letting it come to him. You have to let the game come to you. I like his energy, enthusiasm, passion for the game, but he has to channel it into the rules.

10-03-2006, 05:36 PM         #164
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Q: Where does Javarris as a freshman rank with Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis and those guys as freshmen?

Coker: I don't think he ranks yet. He hasn't played enough to rank. He had a good game. As we go through the season, let's see. We'll have a little better idea. You're talking starters in the National Football League. I think Javarris has a chance to be as good as several of these players.

Q: What's the morale of this team?

Coker: The morale has never been bad, to be honest. The morale has been good. With a win, it certainly lifted it. When you work as hard as we've worked, the payoff with a victory lifts the morale, no question about it. Morale is better than it was a week ago. Our practice last Tuesday was not a good practice. My morale was really bad last Tuesday. I'll be quite honest. Not that we didn't work hard, but we didn't have the look, the feel, the energy that you need to have to play this game. The thing we are learning is you've got to really be prepared and you've got to play hard. If you don't, I don't care if it's ACC or I-AA, these teams will beat you. But the morale is good. I will say this -- the Wednesday and Thursday practices last week were two of the better practices since I've been here.
 10 years ago '04        #165
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1401 1401
sometimes he says some really dumb stuff.

"Deion would have gave up those plays..."

no coach no
 10-03-2006, 06:26 PM         #166
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 3, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

Kyle Wright Q&A

Q: North Carolina ranks low on defense in every NCAA category. Is this a chance for the offense to get things rolling?

Associated Press
Wright: I think so. I've seen North Carolina quite a bit on film. They have some quality players. Obviously, their season isn't going the way they wanted. It's another team we're not going to take lightly. As an offense we want to go out and be efficient. We have three games coming up that we should win before going into some of the bigger games on our schedule. I'm not saying that by looking past these teams, but it's definitely a time where after last game we can keep our confidence going and kind of get some momentum going.

Q: How close is the team to getting the season back on track?

Wright: No matter what, we needed a win last week. It wasn't pretty. It was 14-13. But the bottom line is we got a win. That's something that not only motivated, but kind of brought some attitude back just in that we were happy again after a football game. The locker room was a good atmosphere. It was good to see everyone smiling. So I definitely think with that type of emotion it doesn't matter who you beat, that's going to help us out the rest of the year with that win.

Q: With UNC, how much do you think about the loss there in 2004?

Wright: Two years ago, for the rest of time, whenever we play North Carolina they're going to remember beating us in 2004. And we'll remember it also. We need to come out and start fast. We've done that the past few games. We've come out and started fast the last few games, and we finished last game. Now we just need a middle. We're getting there. I think we're really going to start to fine-tune things.

Q: How do you get run-pass balance to translate into points?

Wright: We had, what, close to 450 yards (against Houston)? And it didn't produce a lot of points. We had our opportunities. The second quarter was about as bad as we could have played offensively. That hurt us a lot, because it wasn't like we weren't moving the football. But just continually we were shooting ourselves in the foot. We have to cut down on the procedure penalties, the turnovers, and you'll see those yards turn into points.

Q: Do you see Greg Olsen pressing?

Wright: Maybe a little bit. He knows the type of player he is, and we all know the type of player he is. And you're not making the plays you usually make with your eyes closed, I could understand why guys start to press a little bit. Just because Greg drops a few balls or doesn't play the way he should doesn't mean I'm losing confidence in him or I'm not going to continue to throw him the football. That's what I told him during the game: `You know, I'm going to need you to make a play later in the game, so keep your head up, move on.' He's still a big aspect of this offense.

Q: How is Olsen's confidence level?

Wright: Fine now. I don't know if his confidence was ever down. I think he was disappointed in himself. He dropped a few balls, which were never an issue for him. he just needs to get over that hurdle.

Q: The interception that tipped off his fingers -- should that have been caught?

Wright: I have to bring the ball down. I'll take the blame for that. I have to throw a lot more catchable ball than that.

Q: How much of the struggles are because you have a brand new staff on offense? Is this a matter of taking a step back before taking a step forward?

Wright: The last part of that question is true. We've all been together since the spring, have all put in a lot of time into this new offense. I don't think the lack of production is due to that. I don't know if I'd say take a few steps back in order to take some forward. I just think we need to get a lot better at some of the things we're doing. If that's cutting a few things out, which we're tying to do a little bit to narrow it down, because we have a lot of good plays (and) you can't run all of them ... we're just going to concentrate on repping groups of plays a lot more than we have been.

Q: Talk about Lance Leggett's play.

Wright: He only caught two balls, which he did a good job of. But not only Lance but all the receivers, they actually blocked really well. It kind of sounds funny saying that. Lance, you can see the way he plays (that) he's really confident. He's out there talking crap to all the DBs. He's going out and backing it up. He's making plays with his hands. I don't think he's had any drops. And he's really helped the offense in the running game by getting involved in blocking those guys downfield.

Q: What is it like to have a high-energy guy like James Bryant on offense?

Wright: He's pretty funny to have out there on the field. He does bring a lot of energy, which is good. Coach (Rich) Olson had to put it in perspective: He's not on defense anymore, so it has to be controlled chaos. He can't just go and run all over the field and knock people's heads off. There's actually a.ssignments he has to do. He goes full speed every play, brings a lot of energy. It's encouraging to have that on offense.

Q: What's Bryant like in the huddle?

Wright: Late in the (Houston) game we'd ran 10 plays in a row. I had run myself two long runs. We're all tired, and I could see it in the offensive linemen's eeyes. And he comes in fresh off the sideline and is getting in their face, `Come on, pick it up!' He's going crazy, and they're all looking at him like, `James, you just came off the sideline. We've been out here about 10 plays.' He brings a lot of energy, which is good.

Q: How disappointing has it been not having a healthy Tyrone Moss on offense?

Wright: It's kind of different because I'd gotten used to Tyrone last year. Tyrone and I came in together. If we didn't have a solid running game I'd miss him a lot more. Obviously, Tyrone can be a big contribution. But Charlie (Jones) stepped in and did a great job last year, (there's) the addition of Javarris (James). And you can see when Derron Thomas comes in -- we have so many guys that can come in and get the job done. You saw what Tyrone can do fresh off of almost a whole year of not even playing. He came in and looked pretty sharp against FAMU. It's hard to say (how disappointing it is) just because of the depth and talent we have at running back.

Q: Is Moss real down emotionally?

Wright: I didn't know what was going on with him Saturday. I don't think a lot of people did. But I understand he had a migraine, which he had to get a shot for and get treated for. I thought he was a lot more down than he really was. Everybody wants to get in the game, help the team and contribute. So I'm sure that's irking him a little bit.

Q: How much credit do you take for Javarris James breaking out -- you've touted him from Day 1.

Wright: I definitely gave you (media) guys a scouting report the first day he stepped on campus. I'm just proud of him. I'm happy he's been able to step into the role he's done and be mature about it. Like I said after the game, he hasn't played like a freshman, and he definitely didn't look like a freshman the other night. Now, you don't expect anything less than a 150-yard game from him. So he has a lot to live up to. The pressure's on now.
 10 years ago '04        #167
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
Q: Have you come up with a reason why Kyle Wright has only two touchdown passes this year, both to backs?

Coker: Well, he only has two touchdown passes. He didn't have a touchdown pass to Lance Leggett, but had a 45-yard pass. Had Lance turned to his right, it would have been a touchdown pass. The other one to Lance at the other end was a tremendous throw, wasn't a touchdown but set up a touchdown. So it's a little misleading.

coker lets wright get away with some sh*t. remember the louisville game when he underthrew both shields and legget on long passes that would have been touchdowns had they been good throws? there's no valid reason why not ONE wideout doesnt have a touchdown catch in 4 games
 10 years ago '04        #168
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1401 1401
basically.

coker's talking bout Leggett turning to the right and sh*t, if kyle would have thrown the ball and extra 5 yards thats an touchdown...and if he would have pulled up about 5 yards on the Jenkins pass in the Louisville game thats an TD. on the Shields pass vs Louisville 5 more yards and thats TD
 10-03-2006, 07:44 PM         #169
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
guess who was the ACC player of the week?!? :rolleyes:

[pic - click to view]

hurricane james, nugga

148 yards and a TD on just 18 carries :wow:

imm gonna try and find a link for this post ^^^^^

this is a clip of the press confrence larry coker was at today.....

10 years ago '04        #170
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
thanks rakim, even tho i cant prop u now
 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM         #171
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
thanx madness, but no props really needed... this is for canes nation by canes nation... im sure rakim feels the same way.
 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM         #172
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 4, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

Don't call him Baby James anymore.

Edgerrin James's baby cousin Javarris is all grown up now.

He proved that by setting a UM freshman record with 148 rushing yards against Houston last weekend.

It was his first start under the lights at the Orange Bowl.

"When we pulled up to the stadium it started hitting me -- I started getting butterflies," Javarris said. "I started getting a little nervous. Kyle (Wright) just came and told me to calm down. He said just go out and play, have fun. Coach (Larry) Coker came to my locker about three or four times, encouraged me. That helped me out a lot."

James touched the ball on 11 of UM's first 14 plays.

"After my second carry I was pretty good to go the rest of the game," James said.

James wasn't exactly able to enjoy his record or the win.

He suffered deep thigh bruises in each leg during the game.

"The first one came on the first drive when I tried to dive into the end zone," James said. "The second one came on the catch (in the third quarter)."

Asked how he celebrated afterward, James said, "I was in my room, couldn't move around. I was in a lot of pain. It was just pain."

He says he will be good to go this weekend, though.

It'll be his second start at the Orange Bowl.

It's the stadium where he grew up watching Edgerrin play.

He's also spent recent summers with Edgerrin on UM's campus -- Edgerrin still comes back to Miami every summer to work out.

James says his NFL cousin helped make his transition to college easier.

"That helped me mature a lot," James said. "Most freshmen come in, not too many kids are used to being on their own in college. Me being around him, able to hang out with him, it got me used to it. Now I'm out here on my own, it's like I'm with him again -- I take in everything he tells me."

And something Edgerrin told Javarris in high school: The UM freshman is better than Edgerrin at this stage.

"He always says at this stage that I'm better than him," Javarris said. "He said just go out and play, don't worry about being better than him."

Javarris' take on who is better at this level?

"I think we're about the same," he says.

There's no disputing that Edgerrin has helped Javarris reach this level.

And not just with words of wisdom.

Edgerrin's personally built weight room in Immokalee also helped Javarris prepare.

"Our (high school) weight room was real small, and Edgerrin's weight room had more to offer," Javarris said. "I've worked out there since he first built it with my friends. At 3 o'clock in the morning (Edgerrin) would come get me (to) run. Once he did that, I try to, any time I'm bored or anything, just work out."

James is part of a freshman class that has seen several players make an early impact, including Jason Fox, Sam Shields and Ryan Hill.

"The freshman class, we came in here working real hard," James said. "We weren't even ranked that high, so we kept banging our heads that people didn't even rank us high. We pushed, and I think it's going to help us out in the future. I feel we can make a good impact on offense and defense."

James will certainly be doing his part.

With some prodding from Edgerrin.

Javarris spoke with his cousin after the Houston game.

"He said just make sure I keep pushing hard, never be satisfied," Javarris said.

* A little-known fact: Many think that Javarris' "Baby J" nickname comes from being Edgerrin's baby cousin. In fact, he's been known by that name since he was a toddler. His father is Johnnie, hence "Baby J."
 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM         #173
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 4, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

Brandon Meriweather Q&A

Q: This defense has given up a lot more yards through the air than last year. Is that because of the quarterbacks you've faced?

Meriweather: No. Last year we started out real well and ended up real bad. This year I think we're starting out real bad and will end up real good.

Q: You're playing more corner than safety this year. Do you like playing cornerback?

Meriweather: I'm comfortable at any position. I prefer being in the box, but at the same time I'll do whatever to help my team win. If that's what coaches feel they have to do, put me at corner to help the team win, then I'm willing to do that.

Q: Is that something coach Randy Shannon asked you to do?

Meriweather: It's more something he told me I'm doing, and I was just like, `Alright.'

Q: Greg Olsen is having some struggles. Do you have any theories as to why?

Meriweather: I think his struggles have come because he's trying to put too much on himself. Instead of him going out there having fun, doing what made him great in the first place, he feels like right now he has to carry the team and do everything in his power to help us out.

Q: Lance Leggett is doing well. Can you talk about him?

Meriweather: Lance has his swagger back. I think he kind of did that over the off-season, started to work real hard and push himself to a point where only the great people go. The more he pushes himself, the better he's going to get.

Q: Do you remember that 2004 loss to North Carolina? They ran on you guys well.

Meriweather: Two years ago the reason the run defense fell apart is we went into the game thinking more of a pass attack because their third string running back was in. We thought they'd pass more than run. So we came with the mentality of stop the pass. When they came around doing something different we kind of fell apart.

Q: What have you seen from UNC's quarterback Cam s3xton? He's a freshman.

Meriweather: From what I've seen he's got great mechanics. But at times he folds under pressure. So hopefully, if everything goes like we want it to, we'll put a little pressure on him and hopefully he'll fold.

Q: What is the confidence level of the team like right now?

Meriweather: This team is full of confidence. We're going to always be full of confidence. We could be 0-9 and still have the same confidence. Our mindset might be a little different, but our confidence level -- we'll never lose that.

Q: What's the mindset of the team?

Meriweather: The mindset is we've got to get back to ground zero. We've got to take every team as they're the best team in the nation. We have to prepare as we prepare for any other team.
 10-04-2006, 11:03 PM         #174
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 4, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

When Hurricane receiver Darnell Jenkins was injured a few weeks ago, he hoped to be ready for this weekend's game against North Carolina.

Jenkins practiced on a limited basis today and coach Larry Coker said of his status that "he's on hold."

But Jenkins says the torn PCL in his knee has caused recurrent swelling.

"I'm not going to play (this weekend)," Jenkins said.

Asked how much the knee is bothering him, Jenkins said, "Fluid keeps building up."

Asked if he'll come back in the next few weeks, Jenkins said, "I don't know. If I don't come back then ... I don't know. It's questionable right now."

Asked if it's questionable he'll come back in a few games or if it's questionable he'll come back at all this year, Jenkins said, "For the year. It just keeps swelling."

* Running back Tyrone Moss was missing on the practice field for the second consecutive day.

"He had an MRI today," coach Larry Coker said. "There's no damage to the knee, but there's some soreness. They wanted to check and make sure and see if it was an issue."

It was the same knee Moss underwent surgery on last year.

Offensive coordinator Rich Olson said Moss was having pain behind the knee.

* OL Reggie Youngblood will return to the starting lineup this week.

* WR/backup returner Rashaun Jones is cleared to play.

He had previously been academically ineligible.

"He's practiced well," Coker said.

* Safety Anthony Redd*ck is back practicing 100 percent.

"He looked good to me today," Coker said. "He wants to play, and we expect him to play Saturday in the secondary as well as (on) special teams."

* Tight ends coach Joe Pannunzio said that Chris Zellner will miss this weekend's game as he continues to work back from an ankle injury.
 10-04-2006, 11:05 PM         #175
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
* OL Reggie Youngblood will return to the starting lineup this week.

* WR/backup returner Rashaun Jones is cleared to play.

:applause:
 10-05-2006, 08:41 AM         #176
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

That is key..
 10-05-2006, 09:07 AM         #177
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 5, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

RICH OLSON Q&A

Q: North Carolina is toward the bottom of NCAA statistical categories on defense.

Olson: They've had two weeks to prepare, though (with a bye). And two weeks makes a difference. Just like the week off we had, we got after these kids and made it tough on them. I'm sure that's what they're doing up there. They're going to challenge their defense to be more aggressive, because their defense hasn't been very successful. We expect to see more pressure from them, and we have to be ready for it.

Q: They're struggling also, with John Bunting under a lot of heat just like Larry Coker is.

Olson: Everybody's got their opinion. That's football and that's sports in general. Everyone wants a winner, and we all want to win. None of us want to lose to Florida State and Louisville. But we did. That's the reality of it. We've got a lot of things ahead of us to look forward to, and this is an ACC game (this weekend). It's a one-week season for us every week.

Q: Your time of possession is good, but there aren't many points coming out of it. In the old days there would be a lot of quick strikes for UM.

Olson: I don't have the answer for that, other than when we do take our shots we're not getting the quick strike type plays. We got the quick one to Lance (Leggett against Houston), scored right away, just didn't get opportunities after that. Houston was not going to give us those opportunities. Even right to the end, they kept playing deep coverage and weren't even trying to get the ball back when they needed to get the ball back. They were hoping we'd screw it up. And we'd screwed it up twice by giving them two turnovers and 10 points. But, other than that, we had twice as many yards on offense and had the ball longer than they did. But we didn't put the ball in the end zone again. We missed a field goal again, were six of 13 on third down, could have been nine of 13. That gives you more chances to score (if you convert those).

Q: Does Javarris James have an endurance problem? He had two leg problems during the game.

Olson: He's got a bruise. There's no bleeding, no swelling. It's just sore. He made the comment on Sunday that he felt like an old man. I said, `Hey, listen, you only had the ball 21 times. What if I give it to you 25 times? It's part of the deal. You have to take care of your body. He's young, has never been hit like that before on a consistent basis play after play after play. In high school you're not getting hit by 300-pounders. It's something he has to get used to. He has to learn to recover. He'll be fine.

Q: Where is his skill level like for a freshman?

Olson: It's pretty incredible. His vision, he has a jump-cut he can make that gets you out of trouble. And he sees things, has great peripheral vision, sees blurs of color and knows how to make them miss. He does it in practice. If he can do it in practice and transfer it over to a game, which he was able to do, he's going to get the results he had.

Q: Is Tyrone Moss okay?

Olson: There's some pain behind his knee. He doesn't feel like he can make the cuts. (Him having an MRI) is a precautionary thing. The other part of the knee is stable. But there's something behind the knee that's bothering him, and he's concerned about it, just doesn't feel he can plant, do what he needs to do.

Q: Are you more optimistic now about this offense?

Olson: Yes. I just think we had a bad second quarter (against Houston). In the two losses we had we had two bad halves. In this game we had a bad quarter. What we have to do is play four quarters, put four quarters together. We need to generate some big plays, too. We want to get the ball to Sam Shields and Lance and those guys. I'd like to throw the ball deep six times a game. I really would. I've called them. But if they're not there, I don't want to just throw the ball up in the air and get a jump ball just to say we're throwing the ball deep. What good is that? I'm going to keep throwing deep if we have legitimate shots to get something out of it. This past week, those guys weren't going to let us do that. They were just bend and don't break and hope we screwed it up. We did a couple of times.
 10-05-2006, 09:08 AM         #178
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 5, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

It hasn't exactly been an easy start to Joe Pannunzio's UM career.

The special teams coordinator/tight ends coach has several players not performing up to expectations.

Jon Peattie has hit on just one of four field goals this season
Kicker Jon Peattie has missed his last three field goals, and tight end Greg Olsen is plagued by uncharacteristic dropped passes.

Pannunzio says Peattie is not immediately in danger of losing his job.

"I'm confident he's going to get better and better, that he's going to make one," Pannunzio said. "There's nobody on this team that wants to make it more than he does. It's just one of those things where we all get in slumps at times, and maybe he's in a little bit of one. But he'll get himself out of it."

This year Peattie has missed tries from 35, 40 and 45 yards with his only make from 20 yards out.

Pannunzio says Peattie has had a "good week" of practice.

"But it's like being out on the golf course, at the driving range," Pannunzio said. "We've got to get him to make one."

In other special teams matters, UM's return game was hampered by the loss of Darnell Jenkins to a torn PCL. It's unclear when Jenkins will return to action, if at all.

Ryan Hill and Bruce Johnson are now handling kickoffs, with Johnson also doing punt returns.

There have been none of the long returns Cane fans have grown accustomed to in recent years watching Roscoe Parrish and Devin Hester.

"We're looking for a play -- we've been close on some," Pannunzio said. "It's a lot like anything else. Once you start making plays, it kind of becomes contagious. We need one of our kids to step up and make that play."

Pannunzio said the team is sticking with Hill and Johnson as the main returners.

"Although Bruce might not be finishing, he does a great job of catching the ball and getting north and south," Pannunzio said. "He's almost averaging a first down every time he touches it (9.0 yards per return with a long of 15 yards). When you add that up over a period of time, that's pretty valuable."

Also a concern on special teams is the play of Brian Monroe. Yes, he is averaging a healthy 42.8 yards per punt. But that is not the full picture of his season. He's shanked some kicks and has been lucky to have other low and short attempts roll far downfield to aid his average.

A hidden symptom of his play: His inconsistency makes punt coverage much more difficult.

"If you look at Brian through the years, he's kind of been inconsistent," Pannunzio said. "What we're trying to do is narrow that gap (of inconsistency). And if you look at it from where it's been, it's kind of narrowing. Without a doubt, the rest of the season, as we get into ACC play it's more important.

"I don't know how many people have talked about North Carolina, but their punt return team is No. 1 in the ACC. So it's a big chore for us to go out there and hold them down. A lot of it will be with Brian getting the ball and hanging it up there so our fliers can go down and make plays."

Of Olsen's struggles (he has only 10 catches for 90 yards and no scores), Pannunzio said, "If you look at Greg, other than dropping some passes, he's blocking better than he's ever blocked. There's nobody on our team that cares more about our team, that plays harder than Greg. He's dropped some balls, but he's the first one out here (at practice) catching balls. Things will fall into place. He'll make those plays."

Of tight end DajLeon Farr, who is playing more with Chris Zellner out due to injury, Pannunzio said, "DajLeon has gotten a lot better. DajLeon has been through the system, has made that jump."

Of freshman tight end Dedrick Epps, Pannunzio said, "Dedrick hasn't gotten in a game yet, but he's a talented, talented guy. With Chris down, there's a situation where we might need him. If he's called upon he'll be ready.

"And we hope Chris comes back, because that's a weapon that people don't talk or write about. He's so valuable because he can put his hand down and play tight end, or he can get in the backfield (at H-back)."

Zellner is not expected to play this weekend.

With two early-season losses and his units not performing up to task, Pannunzio is asked about his tough opening tenure at UM.

"That's part of this profession," he said. "There's a lot of expectations around here, and there should be a lot of expectations.

"My expectation now is that we win the rest of these games and play in the ACC championship game, win it and come back to Miami and play in the Orange Bowl. That's what my expectations are."
 10-05-2006, 11:49 PM         #179
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 5, 2006

CaneSport.com Staff

Andrew Bain Q&A

Q: How's your knee (Bain had fluid drained the week of the Houston game)?

Bain: Good. It's not holding me back. I took a little hit in the Louisville game, it swelled up. I got it drained and it feels good.

Q: How many snaps did you play against Houston?

Bain: About 40. I was in a rotation with Alex Pou. They wanted to protect me a little bit, didn't want me to damage my knee any worse. But this week it's feeling real good, so I feel I should be able to play the whole game.

Q: Is this line starting to a.ssert itself more?

Bain: After we lost to Louisville, the whole thing going into the bye week was that we were going to finish. When we finish, we get big runs. The offensive line took it upon ourselves to carry the offense. It all starts with us. So we're going to play hard, finish, rush the ball, control the clock and impose our will onto the defense.

Q: What's it like having a back like Javarris James?

Bain: It's great. All our backs are very talented. Javarris has his dimension with his speed -- he's able to cut real quick. And Derron Thomas came in at the end of the game and showed his talent along with Charlie, who is a solid back and gets you the yards that you need. All the backs are very talented. It doesn't matter who is back there as long as we're gaining positive yards.

Q: What's the team's approach entering the North Carolina game?

Bain: This starts our ACC run. All the teams in the ACC are very talented. We're going to have to play real hard to beat them and be successful in our journey. This week is North Carolina, and then we move onto the next ACC team.

Q: How important was the win against Houston to build up momentum?

Bain: It's always good to have that win. Coming off a loss you want to come back the next game, get that win. We're just going to take the same approach we took into the game last week. Our goal is to finish each play, and that's what we're taking into this game.

Q: What happened to make coaches switch from punt to run on that fourth-and-one play?

Bain: Coach (Larry) Coker walked over to the offensive line coach (Mario Cristobal) and asked if he had faith in us, faith in the guys up front. And he said yeah, he did. Coach Coker laid his job on the line pretty much, and everything else on the line for us, and we came through for him.

Q: Did you guys think about the consequences of what would have happened if you don't get that first down?

Bain: Not as an internal thing, but for the media repercussions -- if we don't get that fourth-and-one it's more things we have to deal with, more distractions for the week coming up. I think coach Coker's a great coach. Those two losses at the beginning of the year were just a learning process for the team. There's nothing you can put on him for that. We play the game. He's our head coach and is directing us in the right direction.

Q: With all the talk about this program going in the wrong direction, is there internal pressure on the players?

Bain: No, our worst critic is ourselves. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves, and we're going to practice hard every week. If you didn't come to the University of Miami to feel that pressure and win championships, then you're really at the wrong place. We have a great tradition of winning, and that's what we're going to continue to do.

Q: You hear on the radio and read in the newspapers how UM isn't what it used to be.

Bain: If you're not going line up with us, we don't care what you have to say. It's football, and you can sit there on your couch, but when you're actually in the game and playing, anyone around football for a long time knows anybody can beat anybody. It's just who is going to become victorious on that day is all that matters. There's always going to be criticism for as long as you play sports, as long as you're in the spotlight. Some of the greatest people have gone through criticism. Martin Luther King has gone through criticism, and he was one of the greatest black leaders ever. Criticism comes with being in the public light.

Q: How do you think the offensive line is doing?

Bain: We're pleased as a unit. We rushed the ball real well, had a lot of big plays. There's little things we can do to turn those 20-yard run into 40 or 60 yard touchdowns. We're going to work hard to improve each week.
 10-06-2006, 09:16 AM         #180
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
October 6, 2006

Jim Martz, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Brandon Hicks bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Jacksonville (FL) Forrest High School LB Brandon Hicks spoke with Cane coaches earlier this week.

"I talked to coach (Clint) Hurtt," Hicks said. "He was just asking how I was doing, how's family, school, how things are going. He's real down to earth.

"I've talked to coach (Randy) Shannon and (Larry) Coker also."

Hicks received a call from Coker last week.

"He was giving me encouraging words about our team because we're not doing real well right now -- we're 2-3," Hicks said. "He was saying just keep working, push hard and good things will come. He talked to me for 5 or 10 minutes.

"I kind of was surprised to get a call from coach Coker. It's something you don't hear about every day, a coach like that talking to a recruit on the phone."

Hicks lists Miami and Florida as his frontrunners with Michigan No. 3.

He has yet to set up any visits.

He wants to make a final decision by the end of the year.

"I'll announce it whenever I'm ready," he said, adding, "I'm not sure when I'll visit Miami, but maybe for one of their home games. I'm trying to come this weekend unofficially for the North Carolina game."

Hicks says his final decision will come down to "the coaches, players and the atmosphere. And how I fit into the team."

* This season he has 20 tackles, five sacks and two returns for touchdowns on defense (one was an interception return of 75 yards, the other was a fumble recovery off a punt block). He also has a 15-yard scoring catch on offense as a tight end.
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
22 hours ago