NBA Westbrook to KD: I'm Coming at Your Neck Every Single Night
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Reminder Black Friday Starts Now at Walmart.com
36 comments
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside TEKASHI69 saves Magnolia producer Pierre from an ass whooping or worse
40 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 07-23-2007, 03:04 PM         #1761
Sh0wty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn. 2008 Class is looking really good..
 07-23-2007, 03:16 PM         #1762
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
here is the ESPN 150, How many of them belong to us?

Patrick Johnson, Ramon Buchanan, Lerentee McCray, Jordan Futch, Taylor Cook, Davon Johnson, Thearon Collier Aldarius Johnson

ESPN has horrible rating and every year they show how terrible they are. But thats us so far.

Too show you how dumb they are look how low they have Matt Kalill out of Cali, the Offensive lineman.. Most sites have him as a top talent

Last edited by Hurricane Ra; 07-23-2007 at 03:18 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #1763
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,967 | Props total: 2776 2776
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
here is the ESPN 150, How many of them belong to us?
9 so far:

11) Patrick Johnson
52) Ramon Buchanan
60) Lerentee McCray
80) Aldarius Johnson
81) Jordan Futch
88) Taylor Cook
89) Davon Johnson
131) Marcus Robinson
135) Thearon Collier

the rest have us as their number one choice:

19) Etienne Sabino
28) Marcus Forston
68) Brandon Harris
91) Sean Spence
108) Matthew Patchan
 10 years ago '04        #1764
1000bluntz 
space
space
$17,270 | Props total: 11225 11225
ESPN rankings suck, rivals is the best at rating players. Forston will be a beast, he's like this years John Brown, except he's obviously not as bad a.ss .
 10 years ago '05        #1765
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
 1000bluntz said:
ESPN rankings suck, rivals is the best at rating players. Forston will be a beast, he's like this years John Brown, except he's obviously not as bad a.ss .
Fortson's starting to see the light dont be surprised if we pull him.... him and Wells were impressed with the showcase.... and like what Amato, Lily, and Andrews are selling...
 10 years ago '04        #1766
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,836 | Props total: 4096 4096
 booker20 said:
Fortson's starting to see the light dont be surprised if we pull him.... him and Wells were impressed with the showcase.... and like what Amato, Lily, and Andrews are selling...
aint no way he goes to FSU. matter of fact im hearing he might be one of the 4 to commit soon.
 10 years ago '04        #1767
1000bluntz 
space
space
$17,270 | Props total: 11225 11225
 C.R.I.P. said:
aint no way he goes to FSU. matter of fact im hearing he might be one of the 4 to commit soon.
Agreed, no way in fu*king hell he goes to FSU. It's Miami for that kid, anybody should be able to see that writing on the wall. After all, his a MNW kid and the rest of his highly rated teammates are going there. I'm praying that Buchanan makes the switch to UF though, we need that kid he'll be a beast. It'd be tight if Marcus Robinson switched on y'all two but I'm not expecting it but there's still a great chance Buchanan dons Orange and Blue when it's all said and done.

And @ FSU trying to piggyback FNL by getting all the kids back on their way home to visit their little clown school and the fu*king head coach ain't even there. They had originally scheduled it for a week after FNL but not enough kids wanted to attend, that's pretty funny if you ask me. The only thing kids got out of that FSU sh*t was seeing all the NFL players and Jerry Rice, other than that I heard it was wack as fu*k. FNL was huge again for UF this year.
 10 years ago '04        #1768
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM FOOTBALL
A no-name offense and defense
Among first-year Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon's well-publicized rules is banning names on the back of jerseys to emphasize a team-first atmosphere.
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

GERRY BROOME / AP
UM coach Randy Shannon is preaching discipline for 2007. 'We're held to higher standards,' Shannon said.
PINEHURST, N.C. -- Here's a stunner for Canes fans who like their stars flaunted: First-year coach Randy Shannon has stripped the names from the back of this season's uniforms in an effort to continue his ''team-first'' theme.

Hurricanes individuals?

Hurricanes preening?

Not a chance, Shannon said during Day Two of the Atlantic Coast Conference Football Kickoff at Pinehurst Resort. He said he expects UM, 7-6 last season, to not only win its first conference title, but to win every game.

''Miami is a different place. We're held to higher standards. You have to adjust, move forward and don't think about what happened in the past. If you dwell on the past you can never move forward,'' Shannon said of predecessor Larry Coker's regime, in which Shannon was defensive coordinator.

``If you go 9-3 in some places, that's a great season. Go 9-3 at Miami and they try to fire you. That's just the bottom line. Think about it: it was 12-0, 12-1, 11-2, 9-3, 9-3 -- everybody in the world can take that. Then you have one offseason, 7-6, and you usually don't get fired for that. Five out of six years you're probably one of the best teams in the country.''

Players will be held accountable for any unsportsmanlike conduct penalty by being benched, among other punishments. But the new no-name uniform is not a punishment, he insisted, just a policy to help emphasize the team concept. Names might reappear next season.

RULES OF THE ROAD

Shannon's other well-publicized rules include no firearms, no cellphone use of any type in classrooms and meetings and maintaining a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average to live off campus. Sophomores, unlike in the past, have also been told they must live on campus.

''A 2.5 GPA is average. It's average,'' Shannon said. ``It doesn't matter in any way if you're a star on this team. It doesn't make a difference.''

The coach said, however, that players do not fear him.

''I don't want to be feared. I want respect,'' he said.

Shannon said the team theme has also enveloped quarterbacks Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman, whom he said are getting along better than ever and if need be, will share playing time.

''Whatever gives us a chance to win we'll do,'' he said, noting that he will announce the decision on a starter, made with offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, the Tuesday before the Sept. 1 home opener against Marshall.

The new coach is clearly a disciplinarian, but that hasn't deterred at least 15 high school athletes from orally committing for the 2008 season, the newest, nationally heralded Miami Northwestern wide receiver Aldarius Johnson.

When asked how much credence he takes in players committing before national signing day, Shannon replied, ``None -- until you get a strong parent who says, `This is it. I'm shutting it down. My kid is not going anywhere else.'

'Sometimes a kid will say he has committed, `But I'm going to take other trips.' You've got to tell that kid, 'I'm still looking [at other players].' Kids don't commit unless they shut it down, don't take phone calls or anything.''

LINING UP TALENT

The Hurricanes have several oral commitments, many from local players. Last week, Miami Booker T. Washington receiver Davon Johnson said he was committing to UM, but still wanted to take other trips.

Also, on Monday:

• Shannon said linebacker Romeo Davis might miss the entire 2007 season because he reinjured his knee.

• Shannon said he is involved in preliminary discussions regarding the search for a UM athletic director to replace Paul Dee after he steps down in June.

• Dee said by phone from San Francisco that a decision on whether to move from the Orange Bowl to Dolphin Stadium had not yet been reached.
 07-24-2007, 10:15 PM         #1769
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Shannon laying down strict law at Miami
Schlabach

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: July 24, 2007, 4:57 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

PINEHURST, N.C. -- New Miami coach Randy Shannon instituted several new rules for the Hurricanes when he replaced Larry Coker as coach in December. For the most part, the new tough standards kept the Hurricanes out of trouble this summer.
Randy Shannon

JC Ridley/WireImage.com

Randy Shannon has kept a keen eye on his guys this offseason.

Miami players were noticeably absent from the police blotter this summer, a feat that has to please athletic director Paul Dee and university president Donna Shalala.

Last year, Miami endured two gun-related incidents off the field -- defensive lineman Bryan Pata was murdered outside his apartment and reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks after being confronted by an unknown person. The a.ssailant fled when teammate Brandon Meriweather fired his own gun at the man.

On the field, the Hurricanes were involved in an ugly melee with Florida International in Miami's 35-0 victory on Oct. 14. The ACC suspended 13 players for their roles in that brawl.

Those distractions contributed to Miami's 7-6 record in 2006 -- the program's worst finish since a 5-6 mark in 1997 -- and Coker's firing after six seasons.

Shannon, who had worked as Coker's defensive coordinator since 2001, was hired to replace his former boss and set out to clean up the mess.

"The things we were trying to do were deteriorating," Shannon said. "When a bunch of little things pile up, it becomes a mountain."

Shannon outlawed guns for Miami's players -- any player caught having a weapon will not only be kicked off the team but also dismissed from school.

"If you're living in Iowa and you're going hunting, it's fine to have a rifle or shotgun," Hurricanes guard Derrick Morse said. "But if you're living in Miami, you don't need to be walking around with a handgun. I wish it was a year earlier when that rule went into effect."

Shannon also requires any player with a grade point average lower than 2.5 to live on campus. If a player is living off campus and falls below the 2.5 mark during fall semester, he'll be required to move back into dorms for spring semester.

"You better not sign a year lease if you're not going to take care of your classes," Morse said. "They've got to deal with that. They're grown men. They're 21 or 22 years old. They've got to act like grown men."

Players caught having cell phones in class will lose their phones for two weeks. Any teammates attending the same class also lose their cell phones for two weeks.

"Guys are looking out for each other now," Morse said.

If players skip class, Morse said, Shannon not only requires them to complete extra conditioning but also demotes them on the depth chart.

"His discipline is at a level where it's almost crazy," defensive end Calais Campbell said. "You don't want to do anything wrong."

:applause: :applause:
 10 years ago '05        #1770
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
 1000bluntz said:
Agreed, no way in fu*king hell he goes to FSU. It's Miami for that kid, anybody should be able to see that writing on the wall. After all, his a MNW kid and the rest of his highly rated teammates are going there. I'm praying that Buchanan makes the switch to UF though, we need that kid he'll be a beast. It'd be tight if Marcus Robinson switched on y'all two but I'm not expecting it but there's still a great chance Buchanan dons Orange and Blue when it's all said and done.

And @ FSU trying to piggyback FNL by getting all the kids back on their way home to visit their little clown school and the fu*king head coach ain't even there. They had originally scheduled it for a week after FNL but not enough kids wanted to attend, that's pretty funny if you ask me. The only thing kids got out of that FSU sh*t was seeing all the NFL players and Jerry Rice, other than that I heard it was wack as fu*k. FNL was huge again for UF this year.

Bluntz first off dont get me started on ur clown a.ss almost in tears about Billy D leaving, talking bout how u didnt like him and all this sh*t then when he came back u was on his balls..... and before u speak look at whats goin on its UM, FSU 1-2 on his list at this time... there is always a chance to pull a player in FL... i think we got a ligit shot at Fortson and Julio Jones too, especially since Saban has lance thompson recruiting him... he recruited here at UCF and was horrible, hes got a rep for goin places and making promises that he cant keep... but whatever im still cool wit all the UM fans cause ya'll respect and i respect the class ya'll puttin together

Last edited by booker20; 07-25-2007 at 09:49 AM..
 10 years ago '04        #1771
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Better Bull-eavit: Forston commits to Canes

[pic - click to view]

I just got off the phone with the mother of Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Forston, who said she drove down with her son to the University of Miami campus and announced his intentions to sign with the Hurricanes in February.

Marcus_forston I'll have an interview with Marcus later tonight when he gets home from his conditioning workouts at Northwestern. But this is certainly big news for Canes fans. Forston is without a doubt one of the nation's best overall recruits and quite possibly the most talented defensive tackle the school has landed since Warren Sapp. I spoke to Marcus earlier this week, thinking this might happen. But he told me he wanted to wait to make a bigger national announcement on TV. Looks like he got too excited.

I'm also planning to interview Canes quarterback recruit Jacory Harris, who shined brightly at the Elite 11 camp in California. He finished 4th out of the 11 QBs and apparently impressed a lot people.

Check back later for updates.
 10 years ago '04        #1772
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,967 | Props total: 2776 2776
big things, baby....big things
 10 years ago '04        #1773
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
5-Star DT Makes Commitment

[pic - click to view]

By Mike Bakas

Posted Jul 26, 2007

Marcus Forston is a five-star defensive tackle prospect from Miami Northwestern and he decided to end the recruiting process on Thursday afternoon. Read on for more...

Marcus Forston had an opportunity to go anywhere in America. Every major program in college football wanted him. At 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds, Forston is clearly the No. 1 defensive line prospect in the state of Florida and he's considered by some to be the nation's premier prospects at his position.

"I'm a Cane," Forston said moments ago, as he committed to the Hurricanes on Thursday in front of head coach Randy Shannon.

"Man, I'm excited. I really like what Coach Shannon is doing there," he said. "They're putting together a real good recruiting class."

Forston had narrowed it down to Florida State and Miami before picking the Hurricanes. He's hoping to earn immediate playing time.

"I wanna play as a freshman," he said. "That's everyone's goal. I am a hard worker and will do whatever it takes. My biggest goal is to one day play in the NFL."

Forston becomes the third player from Miami Northwestern High to pick the Hurricanes, joining quarterback Jacory Harris and wide receiver Aldarius Johnson.
 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM         #1774
Sh0wty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ahhh yea.. Can we get more of those rivals articles..
 10 years ago '04        #1775
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Forston: Miami was in my Heart

[pic - click to view]

Marcus Forston has finally jumped on board Randy Shannon's Miami Hurricane commitment express.

After weeks of anticipation on when Forston would pull the trigger, Forston verbally committed to Miami on Thursday, joining Miami Northwestern teammates Brandon Washington, Aldarius Johnson and Jacory Harris as Hurricane commitments. It is considered only a matter of time before fellow Miami Northwestern stars Tommy Streeter, Sean Spence and Ben Jones also commit to the Hurricanes.

"I was going to wait until signing day but that program is just something that came to my heart and gut," Forston said. "It's the place I want to go and the place I want to be."

Forston drove down to UM with his mother around 3 p.m. It was an emotional moment when he walked in and told the defensive coaches that he was committing.

"They were jumping around, real happy," Forston said. "I could tell they really wanted me, made me feel real good.

"Then Coach Shannon came in and thats a real head coach there. I never heard him mention another college once the whole time they were recruiting me. He doesnt just talk about football. He talks about life and about school and other things besides football. I liked that."

Forston has been dominant in pre-season camps, most recently awing onlookers at Friday Night Lights in Gainesville. He will bring a unique combination of force and speed to the middle of the Miami defense and is expected to compete for playing time as a true freshman next year. .

Forston had been flirting a bit with Florida State, where his girlfriend attends school. But his commitment to Miami has been much speculated on for several months and Monday he decided to put an end to his recruitment.

His commitment continues what might be the most impressive run of early commitments in the history of Miami football. Miami now has 16 top-level commitments and fall practice hasn't even started yet. The Hurricanes had two commits at this time last year.
 07-26-2007, 09:17 PM         #1776
feardafoot  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
No faith in Kyle Wright. 3 or 4 losses for the canes this year.
 10 years ago '05        #1777
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
Damn Crip i gotta spread rep. I'll prop u when i can tho but this is good news to hear.
 10 years ago '04        #1778
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
July 25, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

CHRIS RUTLEDGE Q&A

Q: How has this line come along this summer and how are the young offensive linemen progressing?

Rutledge: The offensive line is coming along real well. We're working hard every day, trying to come together as a unit. As far as the younger guys, we have Harland Gunn, Tyler Horn, Orlando Franklin. They're all doing real well, just have to get with the learning process and try and pick it up real fast as we go along because we're steady moving.

Q: What position are you working at the most?

Rutledge: I get reps at right guard and right tackle, but I think they're going to move me out to right tackle. I'm comfortable at both, but I'll do whatever helps the team. Right now I take first and second team reps at both positions.

Q: What have you seen from Gunn and Horn?

Rutledge: They seem like good guys, very smart and intelligent. Just watching them they can run and have a good work ethic. That can get them a long way out here at the University of Miami.

Q: What do you work on hardest during the summer?

Rutledge: The fundamentals, picking up and recognizing blitzes, footwork, hand placement, pass sets. The whole thing that goes into being a good O-lineman. We focus on the mental part. That's the toughest part.

Q: Is this team having more fun than in recent years?

Rutledge: Yes, I would say so. We have more of a team unity, not individuals. Not saying anything on the past, but we are more together, especially the way coach (Randy) Shannon is doing things now we have to be more together. It's really together.

Q: What has the intensity been like in the weight room this summer?

Rutledge: The weight room is always intense, running is always intense. The running gets harder every year. Coach (Andreu) Swasey and his staff, they do a great job with our strength and conditioning. It's just amazing the things they have us do. They force us to push ourselves, to make us better men on and off the field. They do a great job. With their help we're going to be top 10, top five, whatever our dreams are. They push us real hard, make us exceed our goals.

Q: How much pressure is on the line entering the fall? If you guys are good, the offense should score a lot of points?

Rutledge: There's pressure on the offensive line every year, whether you have rookies, veterans, whatever. It always starts up front. We take it upon ourselves to make sure we're the frontrunners, and everything else will fall into place. That's just how it's been here and how it's always going to be. The offensive line is what makes the whole offense go. As long as we're in order and get in the flow of things, we should be able to go pretty far. We did a hell of a job against our defense this spring. We had a lot of improvement, have a bit more to go before we get to where we want to be.
 10 years ago '04        #1779
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
uly 26, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Cornerback Bruce Johnson says the defensive backs are doing "alright" in 7-on-7 work this summer.

"We switch out every three or four plays and everybody's understanding things," Johnson said. "The freshmen, we're meeting with them and they're doing well."

Those freshmen DB's are Damien Berry (who is participating coming off knee surgery), Demarcus VanDyke, Jared Campbell and Joseph Nicolas.

Doug Wiggins is a true freshman who arrived in January.

"They're coming along real well," Johnson said. "They're a lot farther ahead than I was when I first came in. They're making plays, breaking up passes."

Do the true freshmen have the talent to help out the team right away?

"I see them helping out some kind of way, whether on defense or special teams," Johnson said.

While the defense has given up some big plays in 7-on-7 work, Johnson says he loves the talent level on his side of the ball.

"I think this defense is going to be great," he said. "Based on returning guys and things I'm seeing in the weight room, how much we're meeting, all that ... I like what I'm seeing."

Johnson says he sees a special camaraderie on this year's team.

"Everybody's having fun, we're gelling together on offense and defense," Johnson said. "I think it's going pretty well."

Johnson says the mood in the weight room is "always upbeat."

"Defensive players work with offensive players, and everything is upbeat," he said. "We're out there having fun and working hard."

* Of his own play, Johnson said, "I'm working on being consistent, working in the weight room, learning more about the game. My main goal is getting a starting job. I'm just trying my best to help this team and better the team."

The one thing Johnson thinks he's improved on most from last year?

"Understanding," he says. "Understanding the game instead of just going out there and trying to play on just natural, raw talent. I try to understand the game better and then my talent takes over."

* Asked if the freshmen receivers are difficult to cover, Johnson said, "Not yet, but once they learn things and get the system down pat they're going to do pretty well."

* Several players have said the realistic goal for this team is a national title.

Johnson's take: "That's our goal. But we have to take it one game at a time. We're not going to think about the championship until we get there. We have to think about who we're playing that week and then go onto the next week."
 10 years ago '04        #1780
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
July 26, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

While no starting spots are guaranteed entering the fall, it appears the Hurricanes are set at four positions along the line: The left tackle is expected to be Jason Fox with Reggie Youngblood manning the right side. And the guards are returning starters Derrick Morse and Andrew Bain.

The biggest question marks along the line entering two-a-days are who will start at center and what kind of quality depth there will be.

Morse experimented briefly at center this spring but now says he expects to play guard.

It appears the first crack at the open center spot will go to A.J. Trump, who missed the spring due to injury. He is young, inexperienced and injury-prone, but coaches have said good things about him in the past. Also vying for the spot is Matt Pipho, who played guard last season.

A couple of true freshmen Harland Gunn and Tyler Horn will also get looks at center, but it's extremely unusual for a true freshman to start on the offensive line (although Fox proved last year it can be done successfully).

If the Hurricanes can't find a reliable center the team may be forced to use Morse there, but that is something coaches are hoping to avoid.

Good news for the team is there should be decent depth, although there's not much experience among the anticipated backups.

Orlando Franklin was with the team last fall before being flagged by the NCAA Clearinghouse, and he has a world of potential. Look for him to work in as a second-teamer at guard from Day 1 this fall.

More depth comes from tackles Chris Rutledge, who has experience and is as healthy as he's ever been at UM, and Cyrim Wimbs, who is serviceable as a part-timer. Rutledge was named as one of the spring's most pleasant surprises by coaches.

Tyrone Byrd is not likely to become a factor due to injury problems that are plaguing him.

At guard the team can use Chris Barney off the bench he ran with the first team in the spring when Morse was out with injury.

Some emerging players here: Ian Symonette has struggled with injury issues but is a strong pass-blocker, and youngster Joel Figueroa has gotten rave reviews and don't be surprised if he works his way into the two-deep and sees considerable playing time this season.
Home      

most viewed right now
Tig ol Bittie Ms. Christine Lashawn
43 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside When you try to sell 4 new games and a system and GameStop offers $30
91 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is she too pretty to be a pornstar?
129 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
FCC plan would give Internet providers power to choose the sites customers see..
206 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
NFL Who is Currently your NFL MVP?
85 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Lit UPS Worker delivering a package near you soon
82 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nov 21 - Here's What u Have to Earn to Get a Mortgage in America's 50 ..
140 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Cormega Responds To The Steve Stoute Interview Via IG
86 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy