70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
130 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #1621
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
June 17, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Push down.

Twist.

Repeat.

That's what offensive lineman Derrick Morse spent a lot of this off-season working on.

It isn't a new technique coach Jeff Stoutland gave to the linemen. And it isn't a hand-eye coordination drill.

It's Morse's job.

"You sit in the warehouse, it's about 85 degrees, and you just twist on Vitamin C caps and pass them down the line," Morse said. "You have to pay the rent over the summer, and it's so I can afford things."

Morse does the job with teammates A.J. Trump and Cyrim Wimbs.

They work the 11 a.m.-4 p.m. shift, sitting side by side and twisting on the tops.

And talking about the team.

"We just talked about this yesterday, how we came to Miami to win championships and win the ACC every year," Morse said. "Well, since we've been here we've kind of been the downswing. This is my last year here, and I don't want to be in the era when Miami wasn't great.

"We're pretty much coming back to greatness, which is great. That's why I can't wait to come out here for my last year and show everybody. I don't want to come back and say my four years at Miami and my true freshman year we went to the Orange Bowl and won it, since then we've won a Peach Bowl and an MPC Computers Bowl. No, man. We want to go to a national championship, the BCS at the least. In a year, two years, we're going to be that powerhouse that we were."

Morse will be a big part of any strides made on offense.

He could play guard or center, although he expects to be at guard in the fall with A.J. Trump getting the first crack at center.

"I know at some point I'll probably have to play center," Morse says. "But I think my home is at guard."

Morse experimented at center in the spring before missing the final few weeks due to injury.

"It was kind of frustrating being hurt this spring, especially after last season and wanting to step up," he said. "But all those guys came out this spring and did real well. That was a positive. They got good experience getting a lot more reps. So that was good.

"I'm almost back to 100 percent. There's going to be a lot of competition going into the fall, too. There's a lot of guys whose motors are running, guys getting in great shape. It's going to be fun."

Morse's intensity is legendary among his teammates.

It's a good match for the intensity of first-year head coach Randy Shannon.

Where does Morse get his nonstop motor?

"I think it just comes down to pride," he said. "I have a lot of pride. Everybody's got an ego, I guess mine's just a little bigger. I'm not going to let this guy beat me. A guy trying to physically manhandle me pisses me off, I guess. And it gets my motor running. From that first collision it's like a firecracker just explodes and you go. That's how you have to play, because if you're not trying to rip their heads off, they're ripping yours off."

* Asked to name young players who are ready to step up, Morse said, "Chris Rutledge had a great spring. We've got a lot of young guys - Chris Barney had a great spring. Joel Figueroa still has a bit to learn, but he's got a motor and intensity. He reminds me of a younger me. All the guys are getting in great shape. It's going to be competitive as hell ... and fun. And we're all going to get better."

* Morse commented on Randy Shannon that "Coach Shannon is a great coach. Every play with him is intense. It's run, run to the ball, make sure you run back to the huddle. Everything is running and go fast, put them on the ground, get up and go do it again. It's intense and everybody does it and everybody's starting to adapt that intensity. It'll overall make our offense very explosive and a lot better this season."
 9 years ago '06        #1622
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
good looks
 9 years ago '04        #1623
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1402 1402
word going around we have three silent commits from big-time players from Miami.
 9 years ago '04        #1624
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
 C.R.I.P. said:
word going around we have three silent commits from big-time players from Miami.
hmmm...
wonder who they could be
 9 years ago '06        #1625
ANOMOLIE 
space
space
$247 | Props total: 0 0
Does anybody have any updates on Kanye Farquarson? How is he looking in practice?
 06-18-2007, 12:59 AM         #1626
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Kanye got his grades in order and should be on campus June 26th
 9 years ago '05        #1627
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,917 | Props total: 3 3
 madness said:
hopefully around the start of football season
i'd rather they take their time tho, not a huge fan of early commits cuz they'll most likely change their minds
Don't let the last couple years turn you off to early commits. The fact is MOST stick to their word. Now what I'm quoting next is what would put me off a bit....

C.R.I.P. said:
Ohio State, literally, had around 3-5 silent commits last year and NONE of them panned out.

I hope you guys have better luck in that department.
 9 years ago '04        #1628
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Exclusive: WR to Commit by the end of the Week

[pic - click to view]

Miami Northwestern High School WR Aldarius Johnson told CaneSport.com last week that "If everything works out I'll be going to Miami, but I'm going to wait a little bit to commit."

Now it looks like "a little bit" might mean a matter of a week.

Johnson says he's planning on committing to Hurricane coaches this week.

"I'm going to call the coaches and set up to go down there," Johnson said. "By this Friday it will be done, 100 percent. I just want to get it done.

"Nothing's changed. I plan on committing to Miami. I'm excited to get things over with."

Johnson says if something doesn't go as planned that he is also considering Florida and LSU.

Johnson says he hasn't spoken with UM coaches since last month.

A 6-foot-4, 212-pounder with 4.4-second speed, he's drawn comparisons to star WR Calvin Johnson. Last year Aldarius had 78 receptions for 1,354 yards with 19 touchdowns.

Last edited by C.R.I.P.; 06-18-2007 at 08:23 AM..
 9 years ago '04        #1629
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
lol told yall....and he's a huge get . one of the many big fish in the pond
 9 years ago '04        #1630
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Damn that n*gga Aldarius is for sure that missing piece that the offense needs in order to get going. He's fast and huge as fu*k (no homo)
 9 years ago '04        #1631
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
June 18, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Chavez Grant spent his freshman year last season learning the nickel position.

Now he's added cornerback to his repertoire.

And he sees good things ahead for a defensive backs group that is more experienced despite the loss of stud safety Brandon Meriweather.

"I think we've gotten better," Grant said. "We were kind of young last year. Randy Phillips was a sophomore, Kenny Phillips was a sophomore, I was a freshman. Brandon's the only one that left. Glenn Sharpe's coming back. We learned a lot, got a new coach out there, have coach (Tim) Walton at defensive coordinator. I think it's looking real good for us. Everyone's working hard. We'll be more experienced, and that always works for the better."

The DB's are working hard this time of year along with the rest of the team.

What fans don't see is the hours spent in the weight room, running and studying film this time of year.

"It's tough right now," Grant said. "Right now is the toughest time of the year. When the season comes we don't work as hard because we're trying to save our energy, prepare our bodies for the game when we perform to the most. Right now we're lifting hard, running hard, doing everything to get our bodies right so we can go ahead and work for the championship.

"It's tough right now, but I like it. I always need the challenge. That's what I thrive off of."

Grant says he would "love to start."

Of course, he has Randy Phillips and Sharpe to beat out.

"Everybody's competing to start," Grant said. "I'm also playing the nickel, too. Whatever I play is fine. I'm just looking to contribute to the team. I've still got great guys in front of me, and I'm learning from them and I'm trying to help Doug Wiggins [a true freshman]. It's just a team effort. Whoever starts doesn't matter. We just want to win games."

Of Wiggins' progress, Grant said, "He's coming along well. Doug's lifting well, running well, so everything's good with him."

Grant says this summer's workouts are harder than the ones he did last year.

"I think coach (Andreu) Swasey is making it real hard for us in the weight room," he said. "Last year was hard, but it feels like it's getting tougher right now."
 9 years ago '06        #1632
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
ooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

06-18-2007, 01:42 PM         #1633
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Aldarius is my n*gga, Coaches need to handle that sh*t right away.. Hes gonna beast.. South Florida=LOCKED DOWN
 9 years ago '04        #1634
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
need to turn this sh*t into the Miami Fan Base
 9 years ago '06        #1635
ANOMOLIE 
space
space
$247 | Props total: 0 0
Is Leonard Hankerson just as good as Aldarius? I saw Hankerson play and was very impressed. They seem to be the same type of player.
 06-18-2007, 02:33 PM         #1636
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UknowWhatItIs said:
need to turn this sh*t into the Miami Fan Base

so true

I gotta see this kid more Hankerson was a beast and him and Doug Wiggins I think will be the best out of that class.. I think Hankerson has a chance to be one of the best WR out of that whole class. Really slept on, hes a perfect reason the star system sometimes is fu*ked up
 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM         #1637
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
June 18, 2007

Matt Hayes

Talk about it in the Message Boards
Look for Miami to move its home games to Dolphin Stadium beginning in 2008. Although the university's lease with the Orange Bowl is through 2009, the Canes will pay to break it and move to the upscale stadium 15 miles north of the Coral Gables campus. The city of Miami has offered to make $200 million in renovations to the Orange Bowl, but university officials aren't convinced that's enough. Recruiting has suffered because the dilapidated facility is among the worst in the nation. . . .
 9 years ago '04        #1638
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
heard Aldarius is supposed to commit tommorow so stand by and see what happens....
 9 years ago '06        #1639
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
 06-19-2007, 02:12 PM         #1640
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
June 19, 2007

Patrick Nix scoffs at the notion that Miami will need a couple more years to move back into national title contention.

He didn't agree with it when he was coaching against the Hurricanes.

And he certainly doesn't believe it now that new Miami coach Randy Shannon has hired him as the Hurricanes' offensive coordinator.

"Every game we walk into, we expect to win," Nix said. "That's the way it is. That's the way it always has been. And that's the way it probably will be for a long time."

While it's easy to dismiss those comments as the overenthusiastic boasts of a new employee, Nix was well aware of Miami's talent level long before he arrived in Coral Gables.

As the former Georgia Tech offensive coordinator, Nix doesn't need a long memory to recall Miami's last flirtation with a national championship. Nix was at the Orange Bowl in November 2005 when the Yellow Jackets faced a Miami team with legitimate title aspirations.

"The funny thing is people think Miami all of a sudden is awful, not any good and on the slide," Nix said. "Last year things happened and it wasn't a good year. But the year before that, going into the 10th game of the year, they were the third-ranked team in the country - and people thought they were the best team in the country."

Associated Press
Kyle Wright has struggled to live up to his five-star billing.
That 2005 game with Georgia Tech represented a turning point for Miami's program.

Georgia Tech upset Miami 14-10 that night to knock the Hurricanes out of title contention. That loss started a 16-game stretch in which Miami has gone 8-8, including a 7-6 mark last year that cost former head coach Larry Coker his job.

That's a humbling fall for a program that had gone 67-8 in its previous 75 games.

Defense hasn't been the problem. Miami allowed just 15.5 points per game last year and ranked seventh in the nation in total defense.

But the Hurricanes have averaged just 10.6 points per game in their last 11 losses. Miami has exceeded the 17-point mark in just one of those games a 30-23 setback at Georgia Tech last season.

Nix now takes over as the third offensive coordinator in as many years for a team that still doesn't know the identity of its starting quarterback.

"Last year left a bitter taste in our mouths," senior offensive guard Derrick Morse said. "We're ready to go out and play again and prove we have what it takes to be a dominant offense."

That's coming from a guy with a pretty strict definition of dominant.

"Obviously our goal is to have an offense like 2001, where you just go out there knowing we can compete with and beat everybody," Morse said. "Ultimately that's everybody's goal. We just want to be that dominant force."

The Hurricanes scored at least 500 points - counting bowl games - in three consecutive seasons from 2000-02, including the national championship season of 2001. Those years represent the three highest single-season point totals in school history.

Miami hasn't scored more than 353 points in any of the four seasons since.

The Hurricanes averaged only 19.6 points per game last year to rank 87th out of 119 Division I-A teams in scoring offense. By contrast, Miami failed to break the 20-point mark just once - in an 18-7 victory over Boston College - during that glorious 2000-02 run.

Of course, those record-setting seasons occurred back when Miami played in the Big East. The Hurricanes now play in the Atlantic Coast Conference, where points come at much more of a premium.

Clemson was the only ACC representative ranked among the top 49 Division I-A programs in total offense last season. Five ACC teams finished among the top 18 in total defense.

"That's the way it is in the whole ACC,'' Nix said. "There's not a team in the ACC where generally you're not talking about their defense more than their offense. This conference is a defensive conference right now.''

WINDS OF CHANGE
Miami had the most fearsome offense in the nation at the start of the decade, but the Hurricanes have struggled to score points the last four seasons. Here's a year-by-year look at Miami's point total and where it ranked nationally in scoring offense each year.
Year Total Points Points/Gm. NCAA rank Record
2000 506 42.2 *2nd 11-1
2001 512 42.7 *3rd 12-0
2002 527 40.5 3rd 12-1
2003 361 27.8 51st 11-2
2004 380 31.7 21st 9-3
2005 325 27.1 55th 9-3
2006 255 19.6 87th 7-6
* - Bowl games weren't included in the NCAA official statistics until the 2002 season. The 2000 and 2001 averages on the chart include the results of the bowl game, but they aren't reflected in the official NCAA rankings. The NCAA officially lists Miami as averaging 42.7 points through 11 games in 2000 and 43.2 points through 11 games in 2001.
When you're going up against those types of defenses every week, it's tough for any team to average more than 30 points per game. But the Hurricanes still could show plenty of improvement - even if they don't threaten to break the 500-point mark this fall.

Miami failed to win the turnover battle in any of its six losses last year. No wonder Nix has emphasized the importance of avoiding mistakes.

"Our offense has to understand what our role is," Nix said. "We're not going out and trying to break records. You want to score and do those things, but you've got to be smart sometimes so you don't put yourselves in bad situations that give other teams a chance to (score).''

That doesn't mean Nix is overly cautious.

Georgia Tech finished third in the ACC in total offense last year in Nix's only season as the Jackets' chief play caller. Although Nix spent three seasons as Georgia Tech's offensive coordinator, head coach Chan Gailey handled the majority of the play-calling responsibilities until last year.

The Jackets' season included that 30-23 victory over Miami, which made Georgia Tech one of only two teams - Louisville was the other - to score more than 20 points against the Hurricanes.

Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
30 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Maliah can get it boy damn
52 comments
1 day ago