squad up!

Miami Hurricanes

view the rest of most viewed

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #1851
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
just seen this video on youtube.. it looks real nice, just thought i would share it wit ya'll if you ain't seen it

[code]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eU3V64c8wf4[/code]

11 years ago '04        #1852
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$13,231 | Props total: 4271 4271
A deeper look: Offensive line
Among UM's many reasons for its offensive struggles the past two seasons, no unit likely received more criticism or blame than the offensive line. An eye-opening 36 sacks was part of the reason former line coach Art Kehoe got the boot after 2005.

But as porous as UM's line was in Kehoe's final season, most didn't expect much more from the o-line in 2006. Mario Cristobal started the season with one player -- Anthony Wollschlager -- who had any real significant playing time from the previous season and a rash of injuries. Yet, somehow, Miami's offensive line improved in 2006 even with a true freshman making 12 starts at tackle. Under Cristobal's leadership, the team cut its sacks allowed by 14 from 36 to 22.

This season, as Miami looks to improve on probably its worst offensive showing I've seen since I began following the Canes at age four, the offensive line is likely in the best shape its been in a while. This weekend as Camp Shannon began I took time to speak with several offensive lineman, defensive lineman and new line coach Jeff Stoutland to see how much progress has actually been made since last season. In my estimation: substantial.

Part of coach Randy Shannon's spring and summer conditioning program under strength coach Andreu Swasey was to whip Miami's fatboys into shape. Did he ever. Saturday, as Shannon pushed his entire team with 50-yard sprints to finish practice, only three lineman were straggling way behind. And most of that was due to dehydration and the need to vomit.

"Coach Shannon just focused on us being quick and being fast and moving faster. I think the whole o-line lost between 30 and 40 pounds,'' fourth-year junior Chris Rutledge said Saturday. "Im proud of our whole o-line as a whole. I couldnt have done it on my own. Coaches helped, the players as well. The competition we had on a daily basis, that was big.

Rutledge said he dropped from 333 at the end of last season to his current weight of 304. While he was among the bigs to cut weight, progress was also made in other ways. Freshman phenom Jason Fox, who began last season at 6-6, 265, now tips the scales at 6-6, 290. Most, if not all of that, was muscle.

"I dont think I lost anything far as speed or agility goes," Fox said. "I dont want to go into exact numbers. But I've gotten 30 to 40 pounds stronger in about every lifting category. Im feeling good and so is the rest of our offensive line. Were ready to go."

Truth is, it doesn't look like everybody is ready. After speaking to players and coaches, I got the sense Miami has a core of about seven lineman -- Derrick Morse, Fox, Reggie Youngblood, Andrew Bain, A.J. Trump, Rutledge and Orlando Franklin -- who could probably start and hold their own this season. The next group -- Matt Pipho, John Rochford and Tyrone Byrd -- could play if needed. And a final group -- Cyrim Wimbs, Chris Barney, Harland Gunn, Joel Figueroa, Tyler Horne, Ian Symonnette -- probably just will never really be able to cut it or aren't ready yet. Of course, Monday was only the third day of practice (heck, these guys aren't even really hitting yet). And in the coming weeks, things can always change -- especially with injuries. But Canes fans should be happy because the situation is without a doubt improved on the o-line.

For starters, I think its pretty safe to say the tackle jobs have been won -- with Fox (at left), Youngblood (at right) and Rutledge (the key backup at either spot). Rutledge, once considered a project after leaving Miami Dr. Krop, certainly looks like he's really ready to contribute more than he did in his six starts a year ago when he looked lost.

"I think Rutledge has done a nice job in making transition from guard to tackle in the spring," Stoutland said. "I thought he did a really nice job. All of that does is make us thicker and make us a little thicker by position."

Guard is where it gets tricky, but only if sophomore Trump stumbles at center. If Trump, who is coming off nine months of rehab on a torn ACL, can hold his own, then Morse should be able to start as Miami's pulling guard on the right side and not at center. Trump, a redshirt sophomore from Clearwater, will be given a shot though and it appears Stoutland likes him a lot. And even if he struggles, John Rochford, once the long-snapper, may be able to step in if he steps up some more. Stoutland said he likes Rochford's quickness.

"What I like about A.J. is that hes a good leader," Stoutland said. "Hes a very smart and intelligent player and hell make the appropriate calls when hes there. But hes got to do it physically. I have total confidence in him from a mental standpoint."

In my mind part of that opinion is formed from the idea having Morse at that guard spot is far more important for Miami's offense, which should be more run-based this season with Javarris James and Graig Cooper.

"Derrick is just a freak," Fox said. "Hes got an unbelievable motor. Hes the type of guy you want on your offensive line. At the end of every play, everybody is walking back to the huddle, hes running downfield trying to cut some guy."

"Guards, I think were really starting to solidify that position," Stoutland said. "D-Mo is an All-American and thats why I really dont want to move D-Mo. He kind of solidifies s. Hes kind of in my mind one of the top players in this whole conference at the guard position. Although if Orlando comes on, then maybe you got three of them. Its a lot of scenarios that can kind of happen."

Franklin is probably the one freshman on the team who has impressed most. After sitting out last season because he had to retake two high school English classes, the 6-7, 326-pound 19-year old freshman has turned heads enough now that the left guard spot is considered open for competition.

"Orlando is a new guy, but among the freshman he's furthest along," Stoutland said. "Hes so physical. Hes as strong and as quick on his feet as a fifth-year senior would be. So, hes way advanced in that category. Now, I got to get him mentally advanced to play."

Said Fox of Franklin: "For how big he is, hes an unbelievable athlete. Ive never seen him with pads on, but I cant wait. I'm excited about it. He could [be one of those freshman that plays right away]. Hes that type of guy. Hes studies hard. Im really excited about what he can do."

In the end, I expect senior Andrew Bain, the only Canes lineman to start all 13games last season, to edge out Franklin for the starting job (who appears prime to be a key contributor at either guard spot). But should an injury knock someone out, Franklin is likely the first man in.

Stoutland, of course, will say otherwise in the coming weeks. He's got to keep his guys competing on a high level and getting the most of his backups for progress sake.

"They look different than when I first got here," he told me when I asked him for an a.ssesment of their growth Monday. "Theres still room for improvement. Now its a matter of putting this group together, finding out the right combinations of people playing next to each other. Because you know, during the season, guys are going to get dinged up. Youre going to have several different players going in there. So, I want to make sure I have a preseason that gives me a good understanding of who should be in the game if something would happen here, something would happen there so I can have the right people in the game."

As for Stoutland, he might be the perfect replacement for Cristobal. One player said he's a cross between Kehoe and Cristobal, fiery, but also a great tactician. One player told me, Stoutland spends more time correcting mistakes than any coach he's ever had. He's also apparently fair in distributing pain.

"Hes all-around -- funny and serious," Rutledge said. "He wants what he wants when he wants it. You can watch its kind of like NFL. If you work hard, you get a little rest. If you dont work hard, then you get run into the ground all day. Thats how he is. Hes about hard work, work ethic and working hard."

11 years ago '04        #1853
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
 Cap Peeler said
just seen this video on youtube.. it looks real nice, just thought i would share it wit ya'll if you ain't seen it

[code]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eU3V64c8wf4[/code]
yessir...cant wait to see what highlights await us this season:applause:

11 years ago '04        #1854
1000bluntz 
space
space
$19,139 | Props total: 18417 18417
If Powe can't even get into Ole Miss how in the fu*k would he get into Miami? I think it's a pipe dream and it's kind of sad, the kid is fu*king ill but stupid as sh*t.

11 years ago '07        #1855
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
calais campbell gonna sh** on every1 we face

11 years ago '04        #1856
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The University of Miami Hurricanes wrapped up their fourth day of preseason camp at the Greentree Practice Fields Tuesday morning. Miami will put on full pads for the first time Wednesday.

"We worked again in the red zone and added third-down situations in there," UM head coach Randy Shannon said. "We got physical a little bit on the inside. The run guys did a good job on both sides of the ball."

Freshmen wide receiver Leonard Hankerson and defensive end Adewale Ojomo participated in their first practice after being cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse on Monday afternoon. Hankerson prepped at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale and led Broward County with 803 receiving yards on 39 receptions while scoring 14 touchdowns. Ojomo signed from nearby Hialeah High School, where he had 60 tackles and four sacks as a senior.

"It's nice for the team to have those guys practicing," Shannon said. "It's an opportunity for those guys. It's discouraging when you have to sit out and want to be a part of something. They did everything they were asked to do. But the Clearinghouse has to do paperwork and clear them. That's what happens."

Shannon confirmed that senior defensive tackle Teraz McCray sat out practice and is a "little nicked up right now."

Miami returns to the practice field in full pads at 7:50 a.m. Wednesday. The team will have a closed scrimmage on Thursday.

Notes:
Shannon Likes Split Punting and Kicking Duties
Redshirt freshman Matt Bosher, junior Daren Daly, senior David Strimple and senior Francesco Zampogna are all in competition for UM's punting and placekicking duties. "I really don't want the punter and kicker to be the same guy," Shannon said. "All of us (coaches) feel that way. It's a different rhythm of kicking the football. One is leg up. One is leg down. One is your drop has to be right. One is don't snap your head up."

Phillips Just Doing Fine
Junior safety Kenny Phillips was selected preseason All-ACC. He's also garnered preseason All-American honors from several publications. "He's doing fine right now," Shannon said. "He's working hard. He's trying to get better with the team. He's making adjustments. We're excited about him."

Gordon Dropping Deep Some
Sophomore tight end Richard Gordon has worked some at returning punts the first couple of days of practice. At 6-4, 260 pounds, Gordon is also in the mix to be the starting tight end for the Hurricanes.

08-08-2007, 12:01 PM         #1857
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 8, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Darrell Simmons bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

College Park (GA) Banneker High School safety Darrell Simmons has never visited Miami.

But he says that won't stop him from possibly announcing he will be a Cane at some point in the next few weeks.

"Miami's No. 1 on the list right now," Simmons said. "I talk to coach (Patrick) Nix about once a week. Last time we talked he just said he would love for me to come down and play for Miami."

As for his announcement time line, Simmons said, "It could be any day now. I might commit without visiting because Miami's a school I grew up watching. I always wanted to go to Miami."

He says the latest he would wait to make an announcement is his first game of the year.

He says Alabama is No. 2 on his list.

"Miami's pulling away from them, but it's still kind of close," Simmons said.

He said other schools still in the picture are Florida, Michigan and Ohio State.

Of what he knows about UM, Simmons said, "I just know they send a lot of players to the NFL and that they're a good winning program."

Simmons has earned comparisons to a young Sean Taylor, and last year he finished with 90 tackles, eight for losses, with an interception.

"He's a phenomenal ball player," Banneker High coach Benny Crane said. "He's one of the best football players that I've ever had. He's just an unbelievable player and I fully expect for him to dominate at the next level.

"Miami's definitely the school that's his dream school. I'm just happy we were able to procure an offer for him, because that's something he always wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up there."

Simmons is expected to graduate high school early and report to a college in January.

11 years ago '04        #1858
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
Hankerson cleared for practice

After days of waiting on a paperwork holdup, one of Miami's next big hopes at receiver got his chance to practice with the team.

[pic - click to view]

His position coach said he has ''hands the size of Godzilla,'' which might make Leonard Hankerson one of the scarier University of Miami football players.

But during his first practice in a college uniform Tuesday, it was the baby-faced Hankerson whose nerves were frayed.

Hankerson, rated the best high school wide receiver out of Broward County in 2006, watched practice in street clothes for three consecutive days before Tuesday, often shoulder-to-shoulder with coach Randy Shannon while growing increasingly nervous that the NCAA Clearinghouse would not permit him to play.

''[On Monday] it started to get to me a little bit, like I felt like I wanted to give up,'' said Hankerson, a 6-3, 199-pound freshman from Fort Lauderdale. "But I was going to keep praying and stuff and keep hanging around and know that it was going to work out for me.''

Finally on Monday afternoon, UM compliance director David Reed and director of football operations Corey Bell told Hankerson he had been cleared. He said he was ''very excited,'' then anxious.

"My first day was tough....I had to f!ght through it. When I had to do my first workout, I ran, I was shaking, I was nervous. I was just very happy to be able to come out and be with my teammates.''

Hankerson's coaches were just as thrilled, even if his first session was both daunting and inspiring. UM has been in desperate need of depth at receiver. Jermaine McKenzie, another heralded freshman receiver, broke three bones in his neck in a car accident and is expected to be redshirted.

Hankerson played for George Smith at Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas High and was The Miami Herald Class 6A-4A Male Athlete of the Year. In football (he also ran track and played basketball), Hankerson averaged more than 20 yards a catch in his final two seasons. He caught 39 passes for 803 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior.

He attended Dillard as a freshman, which Hankerson believes was part of the Clearinghouse holdup -- something to do with a transcript.

''Hankerson is very, very smart,'' UM wide receivers coach Marquis Moseley said. "He has worked with [former NFL receiver] Cris Carter the last couple years in high school. You can tell. Hank catches the ball very well.....He and Lance [Leggett] can battle out that position [at split end] and we'll see who steps to the top.''

Leggett, a senior who has had various setbacks the past three seasons, is one of only two UM players who had more than two receiving touchdowns last season. He and Sam Shields had four apiece. Leggett finished with 38 catches for 584 yards, a 15.4-yards-per-catch average. Shields, now a sophomore, had 37 catches for 501 yards (13.5), the most catches by a UM true freshman since Reggie Wayne in 1997.

Two other newcomers to compete for playing time are Kayne Farquharson of Homestead, a 6-2, 185-pound transfer from El Camino (Calif.) Junior College, and 6-6, 215-pound freshman Daniel Adderley of Simpsonville, S.C.

Hankerson, 18, said he chose Miami over Ohio State, Michigan and Georgia because he wanted to be near home.

Not only is he close with his mother, Lisa Williams, but he has a 17-month-old son.

''I love him to death,'' Hankerson said of his son, Leonard III. 'My favorite thing to do is play with him. He's walking around saying a couple of little things and getting into everything. `Da-da, Mama, Mommy.' And he says,`I love you.'

"When I look at him, I know I have to work hard on the field because I have to take care of him -- he's got to eat.''

11 years ago '04        #1859
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
simmons got arrested for buglary in june, i wonder if that will play a role on whether he ends up in miami

11 years ago '04        #1860
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
The other guy at safety
Covering Miami-Dade high school football for the past decade has allowed me to develop some special relationships with guys who have ended up at The U. One of those is safety Lovon Ponder, who is without question one of the greatest two-sport athletes to come out of Dade in the last decade. Ponder, in fact, is one of the rare Dade athletes to win a state football and basketball title in the same season. He did that in 2003 at Monsignor Pace.

While most of the attention in Miami's secondary will go to former Carol City star Kenny Phillips (a guy I've always believed would end up being a first round pick since I first saw him as a sophomore in high school) Ponder could be the guy who shines brightest this season. With Anthony Redd*ck out for the season and Brandon Meriweather off to the NFL, Ponder's role and responsibility in Miami's secondary has been elevated. While freshmen Jojo Nicholas (Homestead High) and Doug Wiggins (North Miami Beach) are likely to own Miami's safety future, Miami's last line of defense the next two seasons will likely be Ponder's responsibility.

I caught up with him at media day and had a long one-on-one conversation. Here it is:

Q: First of all, how are you and how do you feel about the opportunity now of really being counted on to be the man with Kenny Phillips at safety?
A: "It's a great opportunity for me and Kenny to lead this secondary group that I believe is one of the best in the country. It'll be a fun ride if this group right here can stay together and stick with each other."

Q: What's it like to play with Kenny back there? You guys obviously grew up just a few miles away from each other in Opa Locka? When did you first meet and how well do you guys know each other, to the point you don't even need to communicate on the field?
A: "Actually, through a marriage, my wife and Kenny are cousins. We're related. I met him when he was in the 10th grade at Carol City and I was in the 11th grade at Pace. We kind of connected then. And when he came here we kind of connected even more. My wife Lakanya and him went to Carol City together. It's a small world. They treated each other like sister and brother out there."

Q: Talk to me about the rest of those guys in the secondary, start with Randy Phillips first. I know recently he lost his brother. What's it been like talking to him and have you guys been trying to lift his spirits?
A: "It's devastating to lose a brother, especially one your close to. When I found out it happened, I called him and asked him how he was doing and just let him know I'm there for him. He's going to be stepping up big time as a starter and he started last year and played pretty good last year. I believe he's going to play good this year. He was kind of down, but I believe when he went home and saw his son that uplifted him. I have a son and anytime I do something bad or something bad happens, I just look at him and know life goes on."

Q: Talk about Glenn Sharpe. What have his spirits been like? I know he's had a rough career here with injuries and what happened in that 2002 national title game.
A: "Glenn is probably the most high-spirited guys on the team. I always look at him as motivation because he could have quit anytime he wanted to because he could have said 'This is over, I tore both knees, I don't need to play.' But he's stuck through it and through the grace of God he's still here."

Q: There are a lot of other young guys from Dade who are going to be a part of the future of this secondary, Chavez Grant (Booker T. Washington), DeMarcus Van Dyke (Pace), Jojo Nicholas and Doug Wiggins. How are they doing? And are of them ahead of the game, more mature then expected?
A: "It's equal opportunity really. They're going to get a chance to show what they can do in two-a-days to have a chance to play against Marshall. Jojo Nicholas is really going to come along as the third or fourth safety behind me Kenny and [Wille] Cooper. Tervaris [Johnson] and Chavez have been playing real good. Then, you got DeMarcus who has been doing really well covering guys. Bascially, all of those new guys who came in have gotten interceptions on 7-on-7s and really done things."

Q: Anybody in those 7-on-7s really show you something or standout?
A: "I'll say two guys, probably DeMarcus and Jojo. They played pretty good on 7-on-7s, picking up plays and just learning the system."

Q: What it's like with coach Walton being the coordinator and not having coach Shannon out there, calling the plays?
A: "It's no different. It's the same defense. They basically run the same philosophy. It's just a different coaching style."

Q: Last year, you threw that touchdown pass in the win against North Carolina. People say that might have been one of the top moments of all of last season. Any chance we get to see your arm again this year?
A: "Hopefully, he'll do it again. And if he don't, maybe I can be a decoy, run the fake and they go deep to Lance, Sam or Nuke."

Q: Talk a little about the receivers and what you saw out of them this summer, and the quarterbacks too, are they really better than last year?
A: "Oh, they're 100 percent better. I guess their chemistry. They have been in the film room together, outside, running routes and doing different things that has really made them a unit."

Q: Do you think coach has really made a huge impact with the offense by having the offense sort of work the same way the defense has for years?
A: "It's a credit to Coach Shannon and to Coach Nix. Coach Nix is basically Coach Shannon on the offensive side. He's fiery, gets hoarse a lot in practice. I know he pumps the offense up."

Q: The receivers, I know Darnell missed the spring and is coming off that injury. He cut his dreads Is there a different attitude with him and Leggett?
A: "Different attitude. Both of them. They have workman's mentality. They're much better. Nuke is doing real good and Lance is doing real good. They're different people."

Q: You mentioned Jojo and DVD on defense, which freshman have shown you the most on offense in the receiving game?
A: "Well, Jermaine was doing real well in the springtime before he hurt himself. Richard Gordon looked pretty good at tight end because he's quick and fast. Leonard can really catch the ball. He's got that knack for the ball. He goes and gets it. There were several times in 7-on-7s he went and got the ball over a couple of people."

11 years ago '07        #1861
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
leonard is gettin alot of hype comin out of pratices so he better be a sick ballplayer come gametime

11 years ago '04        #1862
1000bluntz 
space
space
$19,139 | Props total: 18417 18417
Y'all hearing that Ramon Buchanan will probably wind up being a Gator rather than a Cane? I heard he's about to switch and people have been saying since he committed to y'all that he would wind up at UF anyways. I don't really buy that sh*t because why commit to somewhere knowing you're not going there. He comes from a Gator pipeline school and he's really good, I hope we steal him from y'all.

11 years ago '04        #1863
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
 1000bluntz said
Y'all hearing that Ramon Buchanan will probably wind up being a Gator rather than a Cane? I heard he's about to switch and people have been saying since he committed to y'all that he would wind up at UF anyways. I don't really buy that sh*t because why commit to somewhere knowing you're not going there. He comes from a Gator pipeline school and he's really good, I hope we steal him from y'all.
i've heard that, both he and marcus robinson are wavering on their soft commitments, which is why i dont put too much stock in early commits, they're 17-year old kids who's minds are constantly changing. it is what it is, tho.

11 years ago '04        #1864
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
Bad news: Cook, Ponder hurt
The first bad news of the fall has come out -- linebacker Glenn Cook and safety Lovon Ponder (who were both expected to be starters) -- are injured.

As UM scrimmaged for the first time this fall, both were out with injuries. Coach Randy Shannon told reporters Cook is expected to miss between three to four games. Ponder, who was seen on crutches around school Wednesday, could return to the team before the start of the season.

Cook's loss means Miami will be without its most experienced linebacker to start the season. Cook was tied for the lead for most starts with Tavares Gooden with 14. But without question, he was expected to replace Jon Beason as the brainchild and leader of the linebacking corps from the weakside. Now, Gooden or Spencer Adkins will likely replace him in the starting lineup alongside sophomore Darryl Sharpton and Colin McCarthy.

Willie Cooper who made the big interception to save UM from an ugly loss to Duke last season is now expected to carry the load at safety alongside Kenny Phillips until Ponder returns. Freshmen Jojo Nicholas could also see some time there.

11 years ago '04        #1865
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
Small lineman plays big for Hurricanes
He doesn't look the part of a defensive tackle, but Josh Holmes -- who has a spot on the first team -- sure can play the part.

Don't judge a defensive tackle by the way he looks.

At least don't judge Josh Holmes.

University of Miami coach Randy Shannon didn't.

He liked the young left tackle so much that he came to two of his basketball games at San Diego's Point Loma High School, visited his home at least twice and called him on the phone constantly.

''All the time,'' said Holmes, a redshirt freshman who has never played a snap in college but has been promoted to the first team. ``He personally came down to give me my [scholarship] papers to sign.

``I chose the Hurricanes because of tradition and Coach Shannon. Coach Shannon really recruited me hard and I fell in love with the guy. That's why I came here.''

Holmes is listed as 6-2 in the UM media guide, but he concedes he's 6-0 and 278 pounds. Looking at him, he doesn't fit the image of a hulking muscle man. But Shannon compares him to UM great Warren Sapp -- not to mention Holmes was rated the 15th-best defensive tackle by rivals.com and chose UM over Southern Cal and Florida State.

''You know what?'' said defensive line coach Clint Hurtt. 'If you look at him, you'd say, `That guy plays defensive tackle at the Univerity of Miami?' [Heck,] that would be my first comment. Physically, his body type, his dimensions, don't hold up to the rest of the guys. But he has great burst. He's good, and he had the heart, determination and character of a guy you want for a defensive tackle.''

Shannon was asked what he saw in Holmes in high school that made him travel to the West Coast as much as he did. ''He's explosive,'' Shannon said. ``He's explosive like Warren Sapp was. He had that first great step and he played hard. And he played tight end also. When you have a guy that can play two positions, that means a lot.''

Holmes, 19, said his short stature helps him leverage-wise, just like it helps fellow defensive tackle Teraz McCray, who is built similarly.

''Being short is a plus for me and Teraz, because whoever is lowest is going to win the battle up front,'' Holmes said. ``I watched Teraz play on TV before I committed here and he's a wonderful player. The whole defense has been talking to me and encouraging me.''

The offense, too.

Right guard Derrick Morse, who is a hulk, has been going against Holmes since camp started. ''Let me tell you, that kid has a lot of heart,'' Morse said. ``He's very fast off the ball. He's not very big, but he plays with good technique. He plays low and he never quits.

'I try to work these guys down till they die and Josh never dies. He's like, `Damn! You pancaked me!' '' And I'll be like, 'Damn! That was a nice pass-rush move you had -- that little shake got me.' He's got a lot of moves, and he's a great kid.''

All-American Calais Campbell said Holmes also was ``tremendously smart.

''That's what separates him from the pack,'' he said. ``He plays with his head first.''

Holmes, whose mother is a manager at Radio Shack and whose father is a night manager for a water company, said he will stay humble. He just wants to play.

''I'll just keep competing,'' he said. ``I might be a short guy, but when it comes to getting off the line, I'm going to come after you.''

08-09-2007, 11:15 AM         #1866
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Shields caught a 50 yard Touchdown

11 years ago '04        #1867
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM's Cook to miss at least 3 games
Posted on Thu, Aug. 09, 2007Digg it del.icio.us reprint or license print email
BY SARAH ROTHSCHILD

University of Miami first-team linebacker Glenn Cook is likely to miss at least the first three games of the season, coach Randy Shannon said Thursday.

Shannon said Cook's injury is serious enough that he will be ''out for a while,'' but would not disclose the injury. Shannon also would not reveal whether Cook needs surgery.

''I don't know, that's up to the doctors,'' Shannon said. ``He'll miss some games, probably [the] early diagnosis is three to four games.''

Shannon said the injury to first-team safety Lovon Ponder, who was seen at UM walking on crutches Wednesday, was not as severe as Cook's. Shannon said Ponder, who started nine games last season, is expected to be healthy in time for the Sept. 1 season opener against Marshall.

Shannon also refused to disclose the nature of Ponder's injury, saying only, ``Ponder will be back before Cook.''

Cook, a senior, has the most starts of any returning linebacker. Last season he started 11 of 12 games and has been a fixture on defense because of his adept knowledge of UM's defense in addition to his tackling ability at weakside linebacker.

Adding to concerns is the fact two other first-team defensive players have been sitting out of practice with undisclosed injuries: right defensive tackle Teraz McCray and middle linebacker Darryl Sharpton.

08-09-2007, 11:35 AM         #1868
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k.. Looks like the young guys are gonna have to step the fu*k up

11 years ago '07        #1869
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
what the news with damien berry...why hasnt he been mentioned as the third or fourth safety

11 years ago '04        #1870
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
 ttime236 said
what the news with damien berry...why hasnt he been mentioned as the third or fourth safety
berry is still nursing knee injuries from high school, i wouldnt be surprised if he redshirted

08-09-2007, 05:15 PM         #1871
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 9, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Coach Randy Shannon wanted his team to treat today's opening fall scrimmage like a game.

Down to every last detail.

Following stretching and opening drills, Shannon told the team to go inside the locker room.

They didn't move fast enough.

"Get back here and sprint to the locker room!" Shannon screamed.

Players, some of whom were already 50 yards away, returned to where Shannon was standing. They huddled around Shannon, then broke into an all-out sprint back into the locker room.

They remained there for over 20 minutes before returning to the Cobb Stadium field to begin the scrimmage.

The team played four six-minute quarters, and at halftime the team again went into the locker room. The clock ran as in a real game, and there were live kickoff and punt returns.

Shannon split the offense and defense in half to form two "real" teams one orange, one white.

It was all about making it real.

Highlights from the scrimmage:

* Sam Shields had the play of the day with a 50-yard plus touchdown catch-and-run from Kirby Freeman, who also led another touchdown drive. Freeman almost had a third touchdown but Kayne Farquharson couldn't handle the pass.

Those were the only two touchdowns of the day.

Of his TD, Shields said, "The ball was in the middle of the field. I caught it and just ran it in."

The white team won, but neither quarterback can say they won: Kirby and Kyle switched teams at halftime.

* Wright was pressured a lot after joining the orange team at halftime.

"The defense on the white team really picked it up in the second half of the game, got pressure on Kyle," OL Derrick Morse said. "That's our fault as an offensive line. We didn't do a good enough job blocking and giving him time, the receivers time to get open and catch the ball. We're going to work on that hard and make sure he has time to make plays."

* There also three field goals attempted today. Two were made, including a 38-yard plus attempt by Francesco Zampogna, with Daren Daly missing one.

* Khalil Jones, after dropping a couple of early balls, had three receptions, including a nice diving grab.

* Richard Gordon returned two kickoffs for 25-plus yards each, fumbling after one.

* Graig Cooper came within a hair of breaking a punt for a long touchdown. After evading several tacklers he was finally taken down. He also had a fumble on a running play.

* Lance Leggett and Darnell Jenkins dropped catchable balls.

* Vegas Franklin and Calais Campbell each had multiple sacks.

In depth chart news, Cooper and Javarris James shared first team work with Charlie Jones working in behind them. Antonio Dixon was with the first team in his group today.

"The offense made some good plays, the defense made some good plays," CB Carlos Armour said of the scrimmage work.

"It was very competitive," Leggett added. "(As an offense) we need to work on everything. Everyone's working hard."

Morse added, "We learned a lot from this scrimmage. Coach Shannon puts us in situations that are just like the game. So when we get into a game nothing's going to surprise us."

WR Ryan Hill's take: "We want to get better each and every day. I feel I did a good job on special teams today. That's what I try to focus on."

* Overall did the defense or offense win the scrimmage?

"It was mixed we made some plays, they made some plays," Shields said.

* Today's primary punt returners were Cooper and Chavez Grant. The kick returners were Darnell Jenkins, Demarcus Van Dyke, Gordon and Hill.

08-09-2007, 05:17 PM         #1872
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Did you guys hear anyone caught skipping class has to roll 100 yards down the field and back. Thats a Howard Schnellenberger type punishment. These guys are gonna be k!lling n*gga's when the season starts.

08-09-2007, 06:59 PM         #1873
Sh0wty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn. Never Heard that rule..

Rakim Get you get me that article from Aug 8 on nix and the offense..

Thanks..

08-09-2007, 07:25 PM         #1874
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sh0wty said
Damn. Never Heard that rule..

Rakim Get you get me that article from Aug 8 on nix and the offense..

Thanks..
August 8, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room

Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix said today that Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman are almost identical through this point in the fall.

"Believe it or not, their numbers are almost identical with completions, incompletions, touchdowns, interceptions, everything else," Nix said. "They're both doing really well. Both are having a very good camp."

Nix said he won't have a good idea for another two to three weeks if one is ahead of another.

"A lot of factors go into it, not just one scrimmage or one practice," Nix said. "We might get into that last week and both of them will still be neck and neck and we'll have to make a decision from there."

Nix isn't exactly spilling any secrets so far.

Asked more about how Wright and Freeman are progressing, he said, "Both of them are very capable, and we feel very comfortable with either one of them."

Nix was asked if, with his philosophy, he might play both in games.

"My philosophy is to win," Nix said. "If you play two, you play two. If you play one, you play one. I've never been in a situation where I had two guys I felt could go out there and do as good as the other, so it's unchartered territory. I don't think there's many teams in the country that have two guys that have quality experience and that are extremely good players that they can go and win with. We're unique in that situation and very fortunate in that situation."

Asked if he can say something specific about each quarterback and what they excel at, Nix said, "No."

He then added, "They're both very good, play very good, both can execute our offense. We'll just see how it plays out. Maybe both of them give us the chance (to win)."

Nix says he's completely on board with Randy Shannon's plan of not naming a starting quarterback until the Tuesday before the opening game against Marshall.

"It's a lot tougher for one of them if they're told they're not the quarterback than to have both out there competing," Nix said. "What if one gets hurt the first play of the game?"

Nix said the way he sees this offense "the quarterbacks are interchangeable, the receivers are interchangeable, the O-linemen are interchangeable. That's the thing you have to be in this game nowadays. You don't know what's going to happen during the first game, the first week of practice. Having good quality depth, guys that can come in and compete and win is extremely valuable."

Nix said there's "good players and good competition everywhere" on offense.

"If we're going to reach the goals we want to reach, you have to have depth at every position," he said.

At tailback, Nix said of Javarris James and Graig Cooper that "both of them are very good running backs that can do a lot of different stuff. They're kind of interchangeable and we can use them at any time, either one of them.

"We've got more than two running backs. Charlie Jones, you've got experience there. You've got more than two running backs, which is a good problem to have.

"Eventually you're going to have a running back banged up and you're going to have to have someone else to help him. The less wear and tear they take during the season, the better they'll be at the end of the season. So hopefully we'll have two guys that are real good instead of just one, and hopefully they'll be able to go through the whole season."

Asked how important it is to have Lance Leggett show he can be a go-to No. 1 receiver this season, Nix said, "I don't think it's important that Lance is the guy I think it's important that we have a guy. I don't care who it is, as long as we have one or two receivers that can be a go-to guy. The receivers are very important, as important as any position on the field. If you make them go out and double a guy, all of a sudden something else opens up. We have a few guys that are candidates to go out and demand double coverage. We just have to figure out which one it's going to be. But I do think if Lance can stay healthy he has the ability and the potential to be that guy."

CaneSport Magazine publishes 25 times a year, 10 glossy monthly printed issues and 15 online or Gameday Issues for a subscription price of $54.95. An online only subscription or a printed magazine only subscription is $39.95. Call 1-800-635-2263 or visit CaneSportmagazine.com

08-09-2007, 07:26 PM         #1875
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 9, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Antonio Harper bio

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Melrose (Tenn.) High School LB Antonio Harper says he's planning to make a decision sooner rather than later.

"My first game is Aug. 25 I'll probably announce right around then," Harper said.

And he could wind up a Cane.

"It's a good chance," Harper said. "I'm talking to coaches at Miami. I came down to Miami the beginning of the summer, and it was a great school."

Harper hasn't taken any other visits this summer.

Asked other schools in the mix with UM, he said, "I really don't even know right now. I need to think about things."

The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder with 4.6-second speed lists offers from UM, Florida State, Alabama, Memphis and Ole Miss.

His linebackers coach, Anthony Stevenson, says whatever school gets him will have a tremendous prospect on its hands.

"Size, speed, skills and his sense of awareness to the ball - he has it all," Stevenson said. "He had nothing less than 10 tackles a game in every game last year. He has skill like Ray Lewis."

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is Chamillionaire low key the most financially savy rapper ever?
84 comments
2 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside Cassie Offers Savage Update Following Diddy Break-Up
4 comments
26 minutes ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LiAngelo Ball has s3x tape with a tr@nny. #BBB #BallControl
164 comments
13 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
NFL Rae Carruth has been released from prison after 17 years
37 comments
2 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 NBA This is the exact play no one is talking about that actually started the L..
10 comments
27 minutes ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside WELL DAMN...40 GLOCC Starts A GoFundMe For THE GAME So Their House Do..
32 comments
2 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Im a young king I might fu-k Alexis Texas/but Im not on no drake sh-t..
16 comments
2 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NBA Fans tells Boggie Cousins the brutal truth
9 comments
28 minutes ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Here is our very first look at BANE in GOTHAM Season 5
35 comments
2 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
OutKast was never really accepted in the Hip Hop community
37 comments
1 hour ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Cp3 got beat up on national tv by ingram and rondo,got spit in his face, a..
34 comments
2 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Lawd have mercy jazmynekyng uproarchallenge
52 comments
13 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 Masaai tribe roll in on 15 lions...
4 comments
1 hour ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 Pusha T in June HINTED to DRAKE on Drink Champs Who 'THE SOURCE" Was
34 comments
28 minutes ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Clipse ft Jadakiss, Styles P & Rosco P Coldchain - Im Not You
30 comments
2 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
I Think Pusha T is Assed Out in This Beef
79 comments
1 hour ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
unpopular opinion 2: mortal kombat was a better series than street fighter!!
20 comments
2 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside Oct 22 - Two Native American Geneticists Explain Outrage Over Elizabet..
6 comments
35 minutes ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA 2019 NBA draft prospect Darius Bazely signs $14M shoe deal with New Balance
17 comments
2 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside Texas State University cutie 🍑🔥
0 comments
53 minutes ago
@thotsdimesetc
Top 10 most propped recently
Last few hours...
micropave
DATKIDD121
Walmart
2Cold
StillNigga
Cowboywiz
Lord God
blah blah blah
Yung Dilla
Jeavila1014
Top 10 most slapped recently
chef12
StillNigga
Spot Rusherz
HolyFatherSteve
blah blah blah
Binary
Mutant Boy
micropave
Flippa Huxtable
North Face

most viewed right now
online now  55
Image(s) inside LA Legend Nipsey Hussle ALMOST JUMP INTO THE LAKERS MALEE BRAWL FIGHT ..
121 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  54
Whats The Worst Lie A Woman Has Ever Told You?
170 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  46
Image(s) inside Sticking My Finger In Her A** Like It’s Rondo’s Face
63 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside after 20 years tchina arnold talks about the drama on martin
99 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  18
Oct 20 - This is Like a Ad for the Border Wall
110 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  17
Video inside Did YouTube go down last week to erase a livestream of an object hittin..
64 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  13
Oct 21 - Trump: Middle Class Tax Cuts Before November... Forreal this time!
54 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  11
Image(s) inside Cuban doll gets dropped by her label 4 sending a hit on female rapper!..
93 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy