MMA UFC 206 Holloway vs. Pettis
506 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thickest first lady in US history
108 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Drake Has A “whatthef#ckgotdamn” Reaction After Dapping Up A SKrippa
54 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props
 05-16-2007, 02:16 PM         #1481
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 14, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Tyler Edwards bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Monroe (LA) Ouachita TE Tyler Edwards says he "doesn't really have a top five right now."

But he does have a tentative top three.

"I'd say Miami, Alabama and LSU," he says.

Edwards says he received a Miami offer two months ago.

"Coach (Jeff) Stoutland is recruiting me," the 6-foot-4, 240-pounder with 4.7-second speed said. "He said he liked how I move and block, and the intensity I have."

What is he looking for in a college?

"A great weight program, great academics and they have to have a favorable depth chart with the tight ends, see if I can fit in," he says.

Edwards says he's planning to take an unofficial visit to Miami this summer.

"I'll also be going to check out Michigan, Florida and maybe Florida State," he said. "I know a lot about Miami's tight end tradition. That's a plus."

As a junior Edwards had 23 receptions for 350 yards and five touchdowns.

"I get compared to my brother, Eric (who played tight end for LSU and is currently with the Washington Redskins)," Edwards said. "He gives me all kind of recruiting advice. He tells me to take my time and make sure it's the right decision before I make it, and don't commit early.

"I'm going to wait until the season's over to make any commitment."
 10 years ago '06        #1482
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,730 | Props total: 12278 12278
we made EJ Manuels Top 10 :applause:

05-19-2007, 03:02 AM         #1483
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ay 19, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Demarcus VanDyke bioVanDyke highlight film

CLICK HERE for CaneSport TV highlights of Demarcus VanDyke's `Welcome To The U' Party

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

VanDyke and Farquharson have already forged a close friendship
How excited is Demarcus VanDyke's mother that he's going to be a Hurricane?

So excited that she rented out a hall at the Miami a.ssociation of Firef!ghter's building in Miami on Friday night for a "Welcome to the U party" for her son.

CaneSport was on hand for the party, which was also attended by fellow Cane signee Kayne Farquharson.

Relatives arrived from as far away as Jacksonville for the event that lasted until the early hours of the morning.

During the party there was a slide show of VanDyke's highlights on the field.

And he plans to have plenty of more highlights over the next several years.

He's gained seven pounds since his track season ended, currently tipping the scales at 172 pounds.

During track he finished second in the state in the 200 with a time of 21.46 seconds (Deonte Thompson finished first in 21.45 seconds).

And VanDyke's 400-relay team had the best time in the nation at 40.7 seconds.

"I'm real excited to get down to Miami," VanDyke said. "I'll be rooming with Allen Bailey."

VanDyke hasn't received his UM acceptance letter yet but says his grades are in order.

"I'll start out at cornerback at Miami," he said. "I played cornerback my last year and safety the first two years (of high school). Right now I'm talking to coach (Tim) Walton a bit. He just says to learn the plays and just get ready to come in."

VanDyke says he will wear uniform No. 31 as a freshman.

"That's the number I wanted," he said.

CLICK HERE for CaneSport TV highlights of Demarcus VanDyke's `Welcome To The U' Party
 05-19-2007, 03:02 AM         #1484
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 18, 2007

Related Links:
Leroy Chevalier bioVideo highlights

Houston (TX) Yates High School OL Leroy Chevalier isn't letting the lack of a Miami offer deter him from naming the Canes as his frontrunner.

"I'm not sure if I have a Miami offer, but I have Miami No. 1, Georgia No. 2 and Oklahoma No.3," the 6-foot-5, 325-pounder said. "I've talked to coach (Tommie) Robinson, we talk every week. He says they want me to be a Hurricane and he's sending my tapes to coach [Randy] Shannon, that he's supposed to offer me. I'm waiting on that."

Asked the gap between frontrunner Miami and No. 2 Georgia, Chevalier says, "It's a gap about the size of Texas."

A reason Chevalier has Miami listed in front?

His cousin, John Square, played for the Hurricanes. Chevalier is also related to teammate Damion Square.

"I grew up on Miami because John played for them," Chevalier said. "I really, really like Miami. I'm just waiting on them."

So far Chevalier lists offers from nine programs. Among those are Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

Chevalier says he's earned a lot of comparisons to current Cane lineman Reggie Youngblood, who also played high school ball in Texas.

"Most people say I play like Youngblood played in high school," Chevalier said. "My head coach used to coach him in high school, and he says I'm similar to him also."

Asked if, in the end, he sees himself and Damion Square signing with the Hurricanes, Chevalier says, "That's a very, very strong possibility.

"Miami's very beautiful, it's a great atmosphere, and they work hard and play hard."

Chevalier says, even if Miami offers now, "I'm going to wait till after the summer before my season starts to decide.

"If Miami offers there's a big chance I'll be going there. If they don't I'll have to do what I have to do. I'm going to commit somewhere by the summer. I feel if I commit by then I'll know where I'm going to go so I can focus more on my senior season, keep raising my GPA up and all that."

* Chevalier has attended one game at the Orange Bowl -- Miami's game against Houston last year.

"The Orange Bowl, that's wild," he said. "I had a real good time."
 05-19-2007, 03:03 AM         #1485
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 17, 2007

Michael Langston
FlaVarsity.com

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
What a week it has been for Orlando Boone standout Jeremy Brown. The speedy star already received good news this past week in picking up offers from Georgia and Georgia Tech and now Brown has learned that the Miami Hurricanes look to enter the sweepstakes. We caught with up Brown as he went in-depth about his feelings about the Miami program.

Brown added three more big offers
With offers from Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida and Auburn it's easy to see why DB/WR Jeremy Brown has a smile on his face lately. That smile probably got bigger this week when the speedy 5-foot-10, 170 pound standout from Orlando nabbed yet another big time offer.

"Yeah Miami just offered me recently and I was pretty blown away by the offer. Coach (Tim) Walton has been talking to me a lot lately and they have just talked about how interested they are in me. What I like about Coach Walton is his honesty in being straight forward about everything. Miami is recruiting me as a defensive back," said Brown.

With the Hurricanes turning up the heat several other ACC and SEC programs have been keeping close tabs on Brown who also recently picked up offers from Georgia and Georgia Tech.

"It's been crazy and what's special about these particular offers is all of them are powers you hear about all the time. Georgia is a strong SEC power, not to mention Miami and Georgia Tech that you hear a lot about from the ACC."

The Miami offer is very intriguing to Brown in particular because of the talent that the Hurricanes bring in annually every season. The speedy versatile star now has the Canes very high on his list after the offer.

"I'm not sure when I will visit Miami just yet and I don't have a top five because of all the interest but I can say with complete certainty that Miami would be there. I like the way they utilize their defensive backs and I feel a good connection with Coach Walton because before he took the defensive coordinator job he was the defensive backs coach so I would say that's an advantage for Miami in that regard."

With the early interest, Brown now will have the difficulty of breaking down his list soon, and while he maintains he is excited by the early attention, he didn't feel it would happen this quickly.

"It's been really overwhelming to be honest. I have worked extremely hard to put myself in this position, but I would also be lying if I said that I expected to have this many offers this early in the process. It's really exciting and to have this many options now I just have to start breaking things down."

So far Brown doesn't have an official date set to take a visit to Miami, but as he mentioned previously, that should be only a matter of time. Currently Brown has three official visits already set up to Auburn, Notre Dame and Clemson.

"I know I'm going to Notre Dame for the USC game and then with Auburn I visit there on August 30 and then the following weekend to Clemson. I know in addition I will be taking a visit to Florida because it is so close to home for me and I want to take a closer look at their program as well so it should be fun."

For the time being though Brown is focused on a big season with the Boone Braves and the speedy back could see an expanded role with the Braves on the offensive side of the ball, something Brown wouldn't mind at all.

"The coaches pulled me in their office before the season started and said you are our big playmaker guy so we want to have the ball in your hands as much as possible. We lost our tailback from last year so the coaches are just going to spread me around at different positions this season playing slot, wide out and tailback. It doesn't really matter to me, I just want the ball in my hands so I can make something happen."

With schools recruiting Brown at a variety of positions, does he have a favorite between wide receiver or defensive back?

"No not really at all. I just want the ball in my hands as much as possible. With cornerback I like the pressure of being out on an island. Then on the other hand with the slot, you always have the ball in your hands. It's really the best of both worlds for me."

05-19-2007, 03:03 AM         #1486
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 18, 2007

Related Links:
Justin Thompson bioVideo highlights

El Camino (Calif.) Junior College DT Justin Thompson is a Hurricane commitment.

But it's not a 100 percent done deal just yet.

"As of right now the percentage I'll be at Miami, I'd say it's like 90, 95 percent," the 6-foot-5, 290-pounder said. "Other coaches are talking to me, but I still see my best thing is at Miami.

"I've been talking to coach [Clint] Hurtt. We talk twice a week. He just checks and sees how things are going down there, how practice has gone. He makes sure everything's good and my academics are on track, sees how the family is and all that."

Thompson is also in contact with former teammate Kayne Farquharson, who is an incoming UM freshman.

"He was my family here, so I've been close with him," Thompson said. "I like his style. He's a real dude. I like him."

So why is there some wiggle room in Thompson's final decision?

"Other schools haven't stopped recruiting me," Thompson said. "When I first committed to Miami I had 10 offers. Since then, the next three weeks, I got eight more offers. Oregon just offered the other day, Oklahoma, West Virginia, it's been a lot of schools.

"I try to keep my eyes open because it's a business. I've been through the recruiting process (in high school) I'm still committed to Miami, but when other coaches get in touch I talk to them. I talk to five, six different coaches."

Thompson says he's "thinking about" taking a visit to Ohio State.

"I might take a trip there because I like their coaches," Thompson said. "I also may visit LSU, and that's really it. That's who I have interest in taking a visit to."
 05-19-2007, 03:03 AM         #1487
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 17, 2007

Related Links:
Sean Spence bio

Miami Northwestern High School LB Sean Spence had Hurricane coaches at his school last Wednesday watching practice.

But Spence wasn't on the field.

"I talked to coach [Randy] Shannon later that night," Spence said. "I was a night school, so I missed it.

"Coach Shannon asked where I was and I said I was at night school because I'm trying to graduate early. I want to get a head start on college, get ready early. Coach Shannon was happy to hear about that. He was talking about school, my God Mom, because he and her are real close. They talk a lot."

Because he plans to graduate early, recruiting is accelerating for Spence.

"I'm going to try and take my visits during the school year if we don't have a game that weekend," he said. "I'll make a decision after the season.

"I think I'll visit Minnesota, South Carolina, Florida State and maybe UCF. Miami – I'll probably just go down there when I have time. But my dad said it might be an official."

Earlier this year Spence said Miami was his clear frontrunner.

Now, asked where Miami fits into his recruiting picture, Spence said, "I don't really have a top five. I'm concentrating on high school. I don't want all the hype."

So far he lists 11 offers, including Miami, North Carolina, Alabama, Rutgers and Ole Miss.

He's being recruited by a couple of Cane coaches.

"I talk to coach (Michael) Barrow a lot and coach (Tim) Walton, too," Spence said. "I talk to Miami coaches every other day, texting, and I call them."

Spence says he and several of his high profile teammates talk about attending Miami together.

"We all talk about things, all want to go to the same college," he said. "Everybody talks -- the scouts say to us that they heard we've already committed to Miami.

"We say we haven't committed to anyone except our high school."
 05-19-2007, 03:07 AM         #1488
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 17, 2007

Related Links:
DeAndre Jones bio

Hurricane coaches visited the school of Memphis (TN) University School LB DeAndre Jones earlier this week.

But they didn't exactly catch up with Jones ... or his coach, Bobby Alston.

"I was taking my AP physics test, so I didn't get to see the Miami coaches," Jones said. "They talked to one of my coaches, but the head coach was in a meeting. They talked to one of our defensive coaches instead."

Tommie Robinson is recruiting Jones for Miami.

"I get mail from Miami, and I've talked to coach Robinson," Jones said. "He said just keep working hard and they'll be looking at me real hard."

Jones says he's waiting on a Miami offer.

"I have two offers, from Ole Miss and Stanford," Jones said.

He says he doesn't have any frontrunners – "I'm just trying to take it all in right now," he says.

As a junior Jones had 68 tackles, 15 for losses, with three sacks.

He's being recruited as an outside linebackers.

"I know a little about Miami, not too much," he says. "If Miami offers they'd be pretty high on my list."

Cane incoming freshman Tyler Horn is Jones' teammate.

"Tyler talks to me about going to Miami," Jones said. "He says it's a real good school, a real nice campus, that it's a good place to go."
 10 years ago '04        #1489
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
prop ya when i can rakim, u got all this on lock, i ain't been on in a minute since i got to Miami i just been partying.
 10 years ago '06        #1490
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
lets lock up Northwestern :wow:

:rasta:
 10 years ago '04        #1491
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Looks like deez n*ggas been having fun..

May 19, 2007

Related Links:
Demarcus VanDyke bioVanDyke highlight film

VanDyke and Farquharson have already forged a close friendship
How excited is Demarcus VanDyke's mother that he's going to be a Hurricane?

So excited that she rented out a hall at the Miami a.ssociation of Firef!ghter's building on Friday night for a "Welcome to the U party" for her son.

CaneSport was on hand for the party, which was also attended by fellow Cane signee Kayne Farquharson.

Relatives arrived from as far away as Jacksonville for the event that lasted until the early hours of the morning.

During the party there was a slide show of VanDyke's highlights on the field.

And he plans to have plenty of more highlights over the next several years.

He's gained seven pounds since his track season ended, currently tipping the scales at 172 pounds.

During track he finished second in the state in the 200 with a time of 21.46 seconds (Deonte Thompson finished first in 21.45 seconds).

And VanDyke's 400-relay team had the best time in the nation at 40.7 seconds.

"I'm real excited to get down to Miami," VanDyke said. "I'll be rooming with Allen Bailey."

VanDyke hasn't received his UM acceptance letter yet but says his grades are in order.

"I'll start out at cornerback at Miami," he said. "I played cornerback my last year and safety the first two years (of high school). Right now I'm talking to coach (Tim) Walton a bit. He just says to learn the plays and just get ready to come in."

VanDyke says he will wear uniform No. 31 as a freshman.

"That's the number I wanted," he said.

10 years ago '04        #1492
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
 10 years ago '04        #1493
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
Four months after his criticized departure from the Dolphins, Alabama coach Nick Saban received a celebrity-type reception at one school when he returned here for a recruiting trip last week. ''The faculty was excited,'' Fort Lauderdale Dillard coach Keith Franklin said. Security guards and administrators requested pictures with Saban, and he obliged. 'They said, `We love you here at Dillard,' '' Franklin said.

Miami Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Fortson and Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna linebacker Jordan Futch -- two of the top junior prospects in South Florida -- spoke with Saban and said he left a good impression. ''Good guy,'' Futch said.

Saban also approached Northwestern offensive lineman Brandon Washington, a UM oral commitment. 'He asked me if my heart was in Miami. I said, `No,' '' Washington said, adding there's a good chance he will sign with UM but wants to take other visits. Washington said the way Saban left the Dolphins ''bothered me'' and ''was on my mind,'' and he might not consider Alabama.

But Saban's request to visit Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas was denied by coach George Smith, who noted it was nothing personal. After Mike Shula was fired, Smith sent a letter to Alabama's athletic director and president stating Bama's coaches weren't welcome on his campus because of how Shula's dismissal ''was handled.'' Saban, who recruited South Florida well as Louisiana State's coach, didn't have a Dade or Broward player in his first Bama signing class.

saban the snake already up to his old tricks
good thing some of these kids see thru his lying a.ss
 10 years ago '06        #1494
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
 10 years ago '04        #1495
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
May 21, 2007

Related Links:
Darrell Scott bioVideo highlights

Ventura (CA) St. Bonaventure High School RB Darrell Scott will get a long distance visitor at his school today.

"Coach [Randy] Shannon texted me that he'll be here," Scott said. "I got a written Miami offer a while ago."

It's not exactly Scott's only offer.

He lists over 40 offers, including the likes of USC, Florida, LSU and Texas.

"I can't narrow things down yet," the 6-foot-0, 215-pounder with 4.4-second speed said. "It's impossible. Sooner or later I will. Right now I want to enjoy the ride."

What does he want in a college program?

"I have to see how many running backs they have, what years they are, see if I'm going to come out and start as a freshman," Scott said. "My main goal is coming out and starting as a freshman. I want everybody to know I need to play right away. I want to get on the field, don't want to ride the bench.

"If I have to compete, I'll compete. That's no problem. But I want to get on the field."

Scott finished his junior year rushing for an incredible 3,194 yards and 46 touchdowns. His team finished with a 10-3 record and was one game away from playing for a state title.

Scott says he doesn't know much about Miami's program but looks forward to learning more.

"Miami coaches have already come up here once this spring, but I was absent that day," Scott said.

Scott says he hears comparisons in his playing style to Adrian Peterson and Edgerrin James.
 10 years ago '04        #1496
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
May 20, 2007

Michael Langston
FlaVarsity.com

Lincoln DB T.J. Bryant is one of the hottest prospects in the nation, but you would think the talented 6-foot-1, 180 pound top corner is just another player battling it out for a position because of his work ethic every day in practice. FlaVarsity.com recently caught up with Bryant to talk about the upcoming season, the spring game and if the talented corner has a leader at this point.

Bryant is considered one of the top cornerbacks in the nation
First off ask any college recruiter about the cornerback position and one of the first areas any top corner must have is a lock down ability to shut down one side of the field. Check. Next, that talented defensive back also must be able to be physical and lay out the big hit. Check again. Finally, speed is always a big concern most recruiters look for in a top corner. Check mate. Simply put, Bryant has all those characteristics and more at the cornerback position. So it's easy to see why this versatile star for the Trojans is right at the top of any schools recruiting board at the defensive back position.

"T.J. Bryant is everything you want from a cornerback. He's extremely physical, very fast and can lock down anyone in one on one coverage. It's rare you have a prospect that brings everything all in one, but Bryant has that so there is really no question that he is one of the top prospects not only in the state of Florida but in the nation," replied National Recruiting Analyst J.C. Shurbutt of Rivals.com.

Rivals.com and other publications think so much of Bryant that he could ultimately end up the top cornerback not only in the state of Florida, but in the nation. Even with the lofty praise, don't look for Bryant to keep close tabs on where he will be ranked in the next FlaVarsity.com or Rivals.com Top 100.

"You hear people talk about Patrick Johnson is better or that they like me better. Honestly, I have the up most respect for what Patrick does over there at Ely, he is a very talented defensive back. He is doing his thing over there in the south and I'm taking care of things on the northern side of Florida. It doesn't matter to me where I'm ranked or any of that stuff. How I perform is always my biggest concern," said Bryant.

Bryant's talents emerged quickly as a sophomore when the speedy corner was an immediate impact, finishing with seven interceptions, which led Lincoln despite it being his first year on the varsity squad.

"I had a feeling he was pretty special when he first came up to the varsity. Many people know about his talents, but what really stands out about T.J. is how competitive he is out there. He can be hurt and unless you see it clearly he won't go out of the game. He's one of the toughest players we have ever had here at Lincoln," said Lincoln a.ssistant coach Tony Collins.

Several opponents picked up on the talents of Bryant in his junior season as most teams just threw away from Bryant, but the talented corner still finished with three interceptions last season. One moment in 2006 personified Bryant as a player when the talented corner told the coaches this game is about to end.

"We were playing Milton in the playoffs last year and they were driving down for the winning score and T.J. said this game will be over the next play coach. Sure enough on the very next play, Bryant stepped in front of the errant pass to seal the win," explained Coach Collins.

Lincoln is used to Bryant making these type of plays, but the confidence he exudes isn't one that is lack of respect for his opponent, but more of a expectation of himself as a player.

Bryant is his own worst critic
"I'm harder on myself probably than anyone would ever be out there. I'm never really satisfied even if I play well. If I give up one big pass that could be the difference between a win and a loss for us so yeah I'm very competitive when it comes to what I expect out of myself."

His competitive nature probably comes from Bryant's mom who makes it a point to not lose focus on the important things in his life. His mom was a talented athlete in our own right running track for Miami Central high school.

"She means a lot to me and has helped a lot with recruiting and other things. She keeps my focus right and makes sure I don't get too wild and crazy about everything that is going on. She doesn't let up, but that's a good thing. So there is no question she helps me out a lot through everything."

That point was further proven in the spring game last night with Bryant. Despite not giving up but one catch for the game, the 6-foot-1, 180 pound star All-American was greatly displeased with his performance. Although Bryant was just coming off the track season, he was extremely critical of his play, even though the Trojans came out on the winning end of the Jamboree.

"I was terrible tonight, and that's unacceptable for me as a player. I know I'm a lot better than that, but I'm not going to say some excuse like track or anything like that it's my responsibility to perform at a higher level but I will straighten that out in the summer."

What was even more surprising about last night was the fact that Bryant also for the first time probably in his career struggled fielding punts.

"The coaches got on me pretty good in not coming up faster to field the punts and I deserved that to be honest because if I'm doing something bad I want them to point that out because that's the only way you are going to learn as a player. I just need to work on that a little more in the summer."

Despite being hard on himself, Bryant was still excited that his Trojans won and the most exciting part of the evening for Bryant came when he got a chance to match up with Chiles WR Daniel Bryant.

"That was pretty exciting. I think Chiles moved him all over the place, but finally the coaches just said go where ever he goes. Daniel is a good player with a lot of speed, but he didn't get a catch so I was happy about that."

Following the final game with Chiles, Bryant was very pleased with the performance of his teammates.

"I thought our other young corners did very well in D'Andre Byrd and Kelvin Young who you guys will be talking about a lot this year. We also got a victory in both games so that's also something to be proud of."

On the recruiting front, nothing has really changed too much in regards to a favorite at this point. The talented corner insist that every school has a solid shot at winning his services.

"I don't have a leader or a favorite. Honestly, I'm not leveling any team out because I want to be in a position where I commit and then there is a team maybe I didn't know as much about. I want to be sure with my decision in where I feel the most comfortable at. Some of the teams I'm looking at right now are FSU, LSU, Alabama, Florida, Miami, and Tennessee."

Besides the schools mentioned Bryant is also very high on Auburn, Notre Dame and the USC Trojans.

Bryant maintains he doesn't have a leader yet
One school that is hoping to gain that signature from Bryant is the home team in the Florida State Seminoles who have built a strong pipeline with the Lincoln program over the past few years. FSU has landed at least one Trojan player for seven straight years.

"I like FSU a lot and it's right here in my backyard. They also have a strong history of putting players in the league. I'm also familiar with what FSU likes to run with it being so close to Lincoln."

LSU is also making a strong push for the talented corner and so far Bryant likes what he is hearing out of the Tiger camp.

"They put players in the NFL as well. LSU is a program that expects the most out of their players in being successful and I feel with LSU they do that. The Tiger program always seems to have one of the top defenses around."

The Miami Hurricanes earlier this year picked up a commitment from Ely DB Patrick Johnson and now they are looking for more in landing Bryant who could very well be the top defensive back in the state this year.

"I like Coach Shannon and the Miami defense. They play very hard nose defense that is up in your face in being very physical which is a strong part of my game as well."

Those are just a few of the teams pursing the talented corner. But as Bryant noted earlier, he is very open to each program and his final decision will just come down to what he feels in his heart about each school and if the system fits him as a player."

Bryant boast well over 40 offers, but the speedy corner hasn't had a lot of time to take any visits just yet. But in the summer, his visit plans could pick-up.

"I went to the Alabama spring game which was wild and I went over to FSU to watch them a couple of times to see what their defense was all about. But honestly, I haven't done much in regards to visits. I know that I'm going to get up with my coaches here at Lincoln and start setting some trips up. I'm not in a hurry to make a decision, but I'm also excited about taking a close look at all the schools."
 10 years ago '04        #1497
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
May 21, 2007

Jim Martz, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
D.C. Jefferson bioVideo highlights

Winter Haven (FL) High School QB D.C. Jefferson had Cane coaches at his school last week.

"I guess they liked me," the 6-foot-5, 237-pounder with 4.76-second speed said. "I talked to one of the coaches the day after they came - he was trying to get me to come for the summer camp so they can look at me more.

"Most likely I'll do that."

Jefferson now lists 12 offers including the likes of Tennessee, LSU, Auburn and Rutgers.

Miami has not yet offered.

But, despite that, Jefferson lists the Canes as recruiting him hardest.

"They send me a lot of mail," he said. "They talk about me coming on campus, recruiting me, that they'd like to see me at their school.

"I really don't have any favorites right now. I'm open. I'll probably make a decision after my senior season, probably in January."

He may have to move that timeline up, though.

"I'm thinking about graduating early," Jefferson said. "I'll just have to take classes over the summer. I want to do that to get to college, get ready early."

As a junior Jefferson passed for 1,148 yards with 10 touchdowns. He also rushed for over 400 yards with seven more scores.
 10 years ago '04        #1498
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,801 | Props total: 1403 1403
 05-22-2007, 04:32 PM         #1499
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 22, 2007

Jeremy Crabtree
Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Five-star gallery
Video look at the new five-stars
5-star Search: From the road
Nobody racks up more frequent flier miles than the Rivals.com recruiting analysts.

After months and months of traveling from one corner of the country to another for Rivals.com Junior Days, NIKE Camps, visits to high schools for spring practices and other camps and combines, the first official player rankings for the class of 2008 have been released today.

The first release is for players that have received the prestigious five-star rating and are ranked from No. 27 through No. 21 overall nationally. They're also ranked as 6.1 on the Rivals Rating Scale, which means they're projected to be the franchise players in this year's class.

These players are truly considered the elite prospects in the country and are deemed to have excellent pro potential. They should be high-major prospects with the ability to make an immediate dent in college football next season.

Rivals.com will unveil players ranked from No. 20-14 on Wednesday, No. 13-7 on Thursday and No. 6-1 on Friday. On Tuesday, following the Memorial Day holiday, the first official Rivals100 for the class of 2008 will be unveiled. That will be the first time that stars are awarded for those players and they will be ranked numerically from No. 1 to 100.

23. Patrick Johnson
6-1, 193, CB, Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely
Johnson in action
Accolades: A first-team all-state selection by the Florida Sportswriters a.ssociation as a junior after he had 37 tackles and seven interceptions. He also had four kickoff returns for touchdowns and 11 touchdowns on offense.
Why he's a five-star: "I've had the chance to see Patrick Johnson in person, and it's clear that he has the size, hips and speed to be an elite cornerback at the collegiate level. Perhaps the best thing about Johnson's game right now is his recovery speed. He has advanced ability to close on a receiver and the ball. He had seven interceptions as a junior, which shows he has excellent ball skills. Johnson also is an above-average tackler. Given his size and strength, he won't have any issues making plays against the run. Miami fans should be excited about the possibility of Johnson and Class of 2007 recruit Doug Wiggins forming an elite cornerback tandem for the Hurricanes in the coming years." – Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt.
Johnson says: "The way I carry myself on the field is a factor in everything I do. Every time I go out and play football, I tell myself to be the best. I also try to be a great leader by my play. When it comes down to the moment in the heat of the battle, I am sure to take over the game."
Beyond the gridiron: His cousin is former blue-chip recruit and Florida State defensive back Bryant McFadden … Will graduate early and enroll in the spring semester.
Top schools: Committed to Miami on April 5, picking the Hurricanes over offers from Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State and Georgia.
Vote: Should Patrick Johnson be a five star?
 05-22-2007, 04:33 PM         #1500
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 22, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

FOR COMPLETE PLAYER-BY-PLAYER TESTING RESULTS FROM THE LAST TWO YEARS, SEE THIS MONTH'S ISSUE OF CANESPORT MAGAZINE

Graig Cooper got the nod as Swasey's weight room "freak" this year
CaneSport.com begins its comprehensive four-part Inside the Weight Room coverage with an overview of what is going on inside strength coach Andreu Swasey's domain. For complete player-by-player results from the last two years, see this month's issue of CaneSport Magazine.

A NEW TIME

In past years players would joke about "Swasey Time."

Strength and conditionin coach Andreu Swasey would set the weight room clocks ahead 15 minutes. So if you have a 7 a.m. weight room appointment and you show up at 7 a.m., you're actually 15 minutes late. And Swasey would not look on that kindly.

There are no gimmicks under Randy Shannon, though.

So the time is, well, the time.

The weight room clocks are back to "normal" time.

"Now we just have players come at 6:45 instead of 7," Swasey says.

That's the most superficial of the strength and conditioning changes under the first-year head coach.

The biggest change is a new emphasis on agility vs. strength. Swasey says Shannon wants to emphasize speed more than anything.

"I feel what we're based upon at the University of Miami is speed, strength and explosiveness," Swasey said. "That's what we're based on. You think of Miami, you think of speed and power. You don't think of a big team trying to power people like a plow driver. Yes we are lean, trying to put on muscle mass. But speed, squat and the explosiveness which created our first step is what I went back to as more important than anything this year. I look back to 2001, 2002 - we're way stronger than we were then. I want to stay as one of the fastest and most explosive teams in the country, so we went back to that. The emphasis is more on speed this year."

LAW OF AVERAGES

Despite the subpar 2006 season, it was a record year in terms of strength for the Canes.

So where does the team's strength stack up this year compared to 2006?

Last year the average back squat was a school-record 419.5 pounds, a nice increase over the 2005 average of 398 and the 2004 average of 395.

This year the average was even more impressive at 421.5 pounds.

The power clean average in 2006 was 265.2 pounds, in line with the 267 pounds from 2005 and the 269 pounds in 2004.

This year the team's average power clean was 268.3 pounds.

The bench press average was down, though. It was 299 pounds last year, an increase from 292 pounds in 2005 and a decrease from 2004's 332 pounds.

The team's average this year was 291.7 pounds.

This team certainly compares well strength-wise to the teams of the last few years.

What about agility-wise?

Well, the vertical average last year was 33.8 inches; this year it's 31.8.

The 40-yard dash time is about the same, going from 4.88 seconds last year to 4.89 seconds this year.

Perhaps the best sign of the increased explosiveness of this year's team was the short shuttle. The average time this year was 4.41 seconds, a big improvement from last year's 4.57-second average.

The team's body fat is also down a percentage point, to 13.1 percent.

In all, in every testing event except for the vertical and bench press, the team was virtually identical or better than the 2006 version.

"Looking at the program from 2000 on back, sometimes you can get lost comparing and contrasting programs from year to year," Swasey said. "So my main goal this year - we got a lot stronger last year. The focus point this year is on speed. The lifting part, we did a lot of power/strength stuff previous years.

"You want balance. It isn't all about strength. They've got bodybuilding contests for that. We're talking about training athletes, trying to become the most explosive."

THE LEADERS

Asked to name one or two leaders in the weight room on offense or defense, Swasey pauses.

"Everything is so team-oriented now that I don't even think it's appropriate to say right now that a guy is the leader," Swasey said. "Coach Shannon has done a great job of building a whole different culture as far as continuity, chemistry, team, and guys work like that. The more you have more leadership across the board as a group instead of one guy being singled out, I think you can see the mold of that. You can see guys working together more, supporting each other more. Coach Shannon's done a good job of that on defense (in the past), and now that he's the head coach he's spreading that among the team.

"Now it's not offense-defense, which is the thing I see more importantly from a strength perspective. Guys will come to the weight room and you'll say, `Well, what do you see different from last year and what do you think went wrong?' You had defense and you had offense. Our goal as a team this year and from now on is to have team chemistry throughout the summer. It's not offense-defense, everyone's as one. You have to continue to have the same team chemistry throughout the season. When one side is ranked fifth and the other is in the 80's, you're talking about a different perspective. You get different emotions. It could have been different than it was, but losing by one point, three points..."

Swasey is willing to point to one guy as the hardest worker in the weight room: "Darryl Sharpton," Swasey said. "Sharpton won it last year, and I don't think that's changed."

THE FREAK

Swasey has nominated a weight room "freak" in past years. Devin Hester and Calais Campbell are among those receiving the honor.

Who is this year's freak?

"The guy I've been most impressed with coming in is Graig Cooper by far," Swasey said. "Being a freshman coming in, he can be an instant impact. He's going to be a guy that I think will really surprise a lot of people.

"He has strength and speed. He's back squatting 440 as a freshman. That's pretty good at the size he has. And he ran a 4.43 [in the 40-yard dash]."

THE RETREAT

Shannon wanted to form some coaching chemistry, so he organized a coaching "retreat" in Las Vegas in early May.

The coaches spent a weekend together and learned a lot about each other.

"It went well," Swasey said. "That's another concept that is great. Just the coaches and some support staff went. What coach Shannon is bridging now is us finding ourselves out of this element at a place where you can just enjoy each other's company, have a few dinners, everyone coming together.

"We just hung out in a different atmosphere. We also met individually with coach, went over things. It was educational and beneficial."

PUNISHING WORKOUT

Players don't want to be late for a workout with Swasey, let alone several workouts.

Ask Swasey what happens to a player who is late for the fifth time, and Swasey laughs.

That simply doesn't happen.

"Fifth time, you've got some issues then," Swasey said. "That's too much."

If a player is late once or twice, what is the punishment?

"The punishment is what it is - it can vary from 20 110's, from 200 up-downs to 500 up-downs, there's a lot of variations on what you can do," Swasey said. "But the punishment is not the true issue. You can run somebody, up-down them all you want, but based on have they learned anything is the key message. I want to educate you on responsibility. That's what I feel this room is based on - not just weights, but teaching guys about life responsibilities, accountability.

"It's more of an embarrassment than a punishment [if you are late]. If you educate people about responsibilities and character and accountability - calling people out sometimes in front of the group on top of educating everybody the reason why you're calling them out is to make sure that everybody else doesn't make that mistake. I think the pressure of the peers and teammates to be felt as a letdown is really a hard thing to stomach. I don't think you want to be up in front of the group about that and being called out like that, and at the same time guys understand that and take that in stride because they know it's not about them, it's about the program. And when you educate guys, try to teach them it's more about everyone else than you - that's how we built the University of Miami mystique. It's not about you, it's about the program. It's about the U, not you."

During summer "voluntary" running, Swasey has no say over what goes on per NCAA rules.

"The players are the police of it all, are the rules and regulation of how it's run," Swasey said. "And that's the most important piece of it all, them taking ownership. I think coach Shannon, having been a player, understands that. He's trying to preach the history more and educate them more on what this program was built on. Former players that played here a while back want to keep our tradition and our history up. When you look outside of yourself for that, that's when you can have a lot of success."

* In tomorrow's Inside the Weight Room segment, Swasey breaks down what is happening on the offensive side of the ball.
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
225 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside just came across this gorgeous young lady from london
51 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
199 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
110 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 28 Game Systems, One Console
32 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
46 comments
1 day ago