Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Her ass is stupid thick
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Brother acts like little sister is invisible & she believes him
42 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
74 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM         #1441
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 8, 2007

CaneSport News Wire

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Sixty-three Hurricane student-athletes, including slain football player Bryan Pata, will receive their college degrees from the University of Miami at commencement exercises held on the campus Thursday and Friday.

Pata, who was murdered by an unknown a.ssailant November 7, will be bestowed his degree posthumously by University of Miami President Donna Shalala at the College of Arts and Sciences ceremony at 5 p.m. Friday at the BankUnited Center. Pata's family will be in attendance to receive his degree.

A compete list of UM student-athletes being honored in the Spring Commencement follows:

Spring 2007 Graduating Students and Majors:

> Baseball Chris Petralli BBA Business Management
> Roger Tomas AB Criminology
> Gus Menendez BBA Business Management
> M. Basketball Anthony Harris BLA Liberal Arts
> Anthony King BLA Liberal Arts / Sociology
> W. Basketball Amy Audibert BSED Sports Administration
> Marianne Curtis AB English
> Renee Taylor BLA Liberal Arts
> Football Rhyan Anderson BLA Liberal Arts
> Grant Brown BSED Sports Administration
> Willie Cooper BLA Liberal Arts
> Kirby Freeman BSED Sports Administration
> Tavares Gooden BLA Liberal Arts/Criminology
> Mark Lisante BBA Business Management
> Cyrim Wimbs BLA Liberal Arts/African Studies
> Ross Abramson BBA Business Management
> Gabriel Diaz BBA Finance
> Brian Monroe BLA Liberal Arts
> Bryan Pata BLA Liberal Arts
> Jonathan Peattie MA INA
> Joe Tolliver BLA Liberal Arts
> Golf Urd Pederson AB Art
> Josie Shinn AB Political Science
> Rowing Marenda Chamberlin BBA Business Management
> Karissa Chaplinsky BBA Finance
> Laura Coltman BSED Elem. Education/Psychology
> Meghan Leydecker AB Political Science/History
> Elizabeth Skidmore BSED Exercise Physiology
> Sarah Stocks BSAE Architecture Engineering
> Ashley Via AB International Studies/Spanish
> Valerie Webb BSED Exercise Physiology
> Karen Wiley AB Ecosystem Sci/Geography
> Emy Huntsman BSED Exercise Physiology
> Soccer Alex Alford BHS Health Science
> Julie Brooks BSED Exercise Physiology
> Kristen Chapman BBA Finance/Business Law
> Chelsea Garner AB English Creative Writing
> Sheuneen Ta BBA Marketing Rebecca Tweneboah AB Political Science
> Swimming and Diving
> Heather Bounds BBA Business Management
> Tara Erwin BS Meteorology
> Nancy Gajos BHS Health Science
> Andrea Hughes BSED Sports Administration
> Ashley Knapp BBA Entrepreneurship
> Kristen Lunak BBA Accounting
> Derek Starks BBA Entrepreneurship
> M. Tennis Josh Cohen BSED Sports Administration
> Luigi D> '> Agord BBA Business Management
> W. Tennis Audrey Banada BSED Exercise Physiology
> Emily Mowery BSED Sports Administration
> M. Track Thomas Berry BSC Motion Pictures/History
> Zachery Castiglione AB Philosophy
> Seth Kamph BBA Finance
> Jonathan Scheiner BBA Economics/Finance
> W. Track Lia Ames BSC International Studies
> Danielle Bailey AB English Creative Writing
> Debbie Estime BS Biology
> Brenda Faluade BSED Exercise Physiology
> Allison McElhaney BBA Legal Studies
> Amy Miller AB Psychology
> Lindsay Rohrs BSC Communication Advertising
> Amy Seward BBA Business Management
> Volleyball Sara Duncan BBA Marketing
> Ann Gallo BBA Marketing
> Jill Robinson BSED Sports Administration
 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM         #1442
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 8, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Jermaine McKenzie bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Bradenton Prep WR Jermaine McKenzie graduates high school in two weeks and reports to Miami June 27.

"I'm all set," he said. "I received my student ID #, my welcome package and acceptance letter three weeks ago."

McKenzie has also received a copy of UM's offensive playbook.

"It's not hard as a receiver," McKenzie said. "The quarterback has the most work. But I have to know my place in the offense."

That place will be as the slot receiver, at least to start off his Cane career.

"They decided on that when I came on my visit," McKenzie said. "I'm 6-3, but they were looking at my tapes and were saying I was fast enough to be a slot but also tall enough to be an outside receiver. They said get ready to be on the inside to be mismatched with a linebacker.

"I've always wanted to be an inside receiver, but never got a chance because I was always the tallest on the team. I've never played slot before. I have the routes down pat, so it's not too hard."

McKenzie says he sends text messages to receivers coach Marques Mosely "every day."

"We just keep in contact," McKenzie said. "He wants all the receivers to play right away, said no one has a position, that he wants me to come in and work hard and try to get on the field. He's telling me to keep my nose in the playbook because when I get down there they're gong to throw some stuff at me. I'm getting mentally and physically prepared."

To prepare he's working with his twin brother, who expects to sign late with Georgia Southern.

"We've been running a lot, lifting and conditioning and doing speed work," McKenzie said. "And I've been catching a lot of balls lately."

McKenzie says he will begin his UM career
as No. 85.

"I think I'm going to stick with that for the first year," he said. "Ultimately I want to be 3, I've always been 3. So I'll just have to wait till Kyle [Wright] leaves."

* McKenzie says he has yet to throw with fellow incoming freshman QB Robert Marve this year, but that "he graduates next Friday. So he said after I graduate we'll start hooking up and going over some plays."
 05-08-2007, 06:32 PM         #1443
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pata's still gonna get his degree

we still miss ya boy :(
 10 years ago '04        #1444
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
May 09, 2007
Position Breakdown: Secondary
The strength of Miami's dominant defense for the past six seasons has been the Hurricanes secondary, and despite struggles from time to time in 2006 I don't expect that tradition to end in 2007.

Last year's unit went through growing pains in '06, which isn't surprising considering the average height and weight of the 11 safeties and cornerbacks that participated in spring practice was 6-foot, 196 pounds, which is fairly big for that group.

Miami's secondary is built for press coverage, which is a staple of Randy Shannon's defensive diet, and that's just fine with new secondary coach Wesley McGriff.

"I like playing press. I think there's no better way to play corner. I'd be a little disappointed if we play off. With these athletes I'm excited about playing press," McGriff said.

Wesley McGriff said his focus during the spring was to get the group fundamentally sound, improving their technique, which should help the ever-growing Randy Phillips and already big Carlos Armour cover smaller receivers, and teach Chavez Grant, Bruce Johnson and former high school quarterback Doug Wiggins to play a bit more physical when they are on the boundary.

"I think I've got a lot of talent back there on the back end," Wesley said. "The guys have the right attitude and you can tell they had been tutored real well by coach [Tim] Walton. I'm just trying not to mess the puzzle up."

The puzzles foundation is built on UM's variety of cornerbacks. There are the big and physicals guys, who are in the mold of Antrel Rolle, and then there's the smaller but rangy guys (Phillip Buchanon), who use their athleticism to cover more ground. Not surprisingly, UM's coaches spent this spring trying to cross-train both groups, challenging the BIGS to cover more ground by putting them against guys like Sam Shield and Ryan Hill. They also had the rangy guys out on the boundary, forcing them to be more physical against taller and stronger receivers like Khalil Jones and Lance Leggett.

"Having big guys is really great because when you play press, and you've got a bigger corner, now that receiver has a big target he's got to get around. So it's great to have big corners when you are playing press coverage," McGriff said. "Now, if they were big and slow I'd have a problems. But they are big and can move."

McGriff referring to Randy Phillips, Carlos Armour, and maybe even Tervaris Johnson, who sat out the spring with an undisclosed injury but is expected to get worked at cornerback in the fall despite the fact this redshirted freshman is bigger (6-foot-2, 220 pounds) than some of UM's linebackers. The Boss said it's the hips that determine if a guy can play cornerback or not, and he believes Johnson has it because he doesn't play stiff.

Armour, whose participation has been limited the past two season because he's been recovering from an ACL injury, is a bit stiff. Or at least he has been until this spring, which was the junior's first healthy and productive spring session since he came to UM. Armour's play this past spring reminded UM's coaches that at one point he was considered an elite athlete. But Armour knows he's still got work to do to resurrect his career like Marcus Maxey did back in 2005.

"I'm playing through my little pains to get to that excellence, dominating on the field," said Armour, who is 6-foot-3, 200 pounds. "I feel like I've worked my way into the rotation, but as far as my own critique I feel like I'm not emphasizing enough on the coverages we're putting in. I'm there but my coverages aren't excellent. There is always room for improvement and I plan to get there."

As for the rangy corners, Glenn Sharpe, who was granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA, missed all but one week of spring practice because of an ankle sprain. He could have contributed at the end of spring work but UM's coaches didn't want to take any chances with the Hurricanes most technically sound cornerback.

Sharpe didn't have the type of breakout season (44 tackles, two interceptions and 14 pass breakups) UM's coaches expected last year but it's justified considering he was working off three years of rust. It'll be interesting to see what Sharpe can do in 2007 now that he's got 15 games of starter experience under his belt.

Bruce Johnson's participation this spring was also limited by injuries and academic shortcomings, and if this junior doesn't pick it up on and off the field he could find himself redshirting or playing a small role while sophomore Chavez Grant takes his career to the next level, and Wiggins, a true freshman who enrolled early to participate in spring practice, learns the finer points of his new position through playing time.

As for the safeties, Kenny Phillips is being called on to become the leader of not just the secondary, but the entire team. He's mature beyond his year and now the challenge is for him to show that maturity through his vocal leadership.

Kenny Phillips has been groomed by UM's best, which explains why he's so technically sound. This junior is an elite talent no one expects to return next season if he stays healthy and has the type of season (leading tackler, leader in interceptions) he was on track to put together in 2006 if he didn't break his hand and miss three games.

Losing Anthony Redd*ck to a season-ending knee injury this spring hurts UM's safety unit, but Lovon Ponder filled in admirably (73 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 1 interception and 7 pass breakups) for him in 2006, and was likely going to remain the starter. Ponder, a redshirted junior, still has a few holes in his game but he covers a great deal of ground and has a knack for creating turnovers, which was evident during the spring.

Senior Willie Cooper is well respected amongst his teammates and coaches, and he'll likely be given the first opportunity to step up in Redd*ck's place. If he can handle the role as the defense's utility man it's doubtful UM will need to call on incoming freshmen Jared Campbell, Damien Berry (converted tailback) and Joseph Nicolas to contribute immediately. But U never know because a true freshman has worked his way into a starting spot in the secondary for the past six years.

I suspect that tradition will continue again in '07, but my pick as a newcomer earning a starting spot is cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, who has the size of the big boys but the athleticism of the rangy guys. Van Dyke is also my sleeper pick as a return guy.

G.A.G.T.G.....Deuces.
 10 years ago '04        #1445
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
Hiding In Broad Daylight

By Carmen Renee Thompson
ESPN The Magazine

Reggie Wayne has never had a manicure. His hands are a battleground, dotted with dark marks, scratches and raised ridges of scar tissue. His brownish palms are enormous, but his fingers are comparatively short, and several of his knuckles are warped and oversize. "They get hurt all different ways," Wayne says. "From catching the ball and falling on them, or they'll get caught in guys' jerseys when you're blocking and they pull away." Dealing with hand aches and pains is something Wayne has grown used to. Even dislocated fingers don't faze him anymore. "Other people will scream," he says. "But I pop mine back in, buddy-tape them together and go back to work."

There's history in their toughness. The same hands that caught the Colts' first touchdown in Super Bowl XLI got their start catching rocks in front of Wayne's parents' house in New Orleans. Back then, 11-year-old Reggie and older brothers Rashad and Ralphrick, along with their pals, would turn a neighborhood sidewalk into a makeshift gridiron, firing rocks back and forth. "The object was to catch them and throw them back immediately," Wayne says. "We were trying to hit each other. One of my friends, to this day, is partially blind in one eye. I didn't catch all of them, but I caught the ones that endangered me."

And the safest way for Wayne to catch rocks with very sharp edges hurled with unpredictable trajectory and rotation was to let his hands give a little upon contact. "If you could catch those rocks," he says, "you could catch anything."

Football was the Wayne family's sport. Dad Ralph played linebacker at Grambling State. But while Rashad and Ralphrick took to the game quickly, Ralph had to punk his youngest boy into playing. "I was 7, and I told my mom I wanted to play baseball or basketball because I didn't want to get hurt," Reggie says. "When she told my dad, he pretty much up and down called me a coward. So I played it just to get him off my back."

Soon enough, though, he was hooked. Ralph remembers watching football on Sundays with all three of his boys. By the end of the evening, only Reggie was still sitting beside him, soaking up the action and asking questions. "When I was a kid, my daddy used to always talk about Saints receiver Eric Martin and say, 'Man, that boy can catch. He can catch a beauty and a dog,' " Wayne recalls. "I was like, Damn, I got to have somebody think about me like that."

[pic - click to view]

Reggie Wayne had 86 catches for 1,310 yards and 9 TDs last season.
 10 years ago '04        #1446
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
And now people do. "Reggie has some of the best hands in the league," says Edgerrin James, who played with Wayne in college at Miami and with the Colts. "When my son catches the ball well, I tell him he has Reggie Wayne hands."

So if anybody's hands deserve pampering, it's the 28-year-old Wayne's. But he's not having it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," he says. "These are my bread and my meat. I keep them lotioned, I keep them nice and nourished." And for six seasons, they've helped feed Wayne as well. He's won a Super Bowl ring and earned a six-year, $39 million contract. And last February, he played in his first Pro Bowl. "This is Reggie's first," Peyton Manning said at the time. "Really, it should be, like, his fourth."

Yes, well. It's been Wayne's luck -- good and bad -- to line up across from Marvin Harrison, a great role model, a future Hall of Famer and a man who casts an awfully long shadow. But rather than bristle at his permanent second-lead casting, Wayne decided a long time ago to emulate his 34-year-old counterpart, and he has methodically improved his game each season. He caught 77 balls for 1,210 yards and 12 TDs in 2004, 83 for 1,055 and 5 in 2005 and 86 for 1,310 and 9 last season. "I've realized you don't have to be the fastest, the strongest or the smartest," Wayne says. "But the more you're consistent, the more your teammates and the coaches in the league respect you."

Adds Colts Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday: "His numbers have been there for a while, and he's done what it takes. But he's just been overlooked for so long by playing with Marvin on the other side."

Wayne learned to check his ego at the door in college. In his first season at Miami, he led the team in receptions, breaking Michael Irvin's Miami freshman record for catches. He was the breakout star in a loaded class that included Santana Moss, and he led the Canes in receptions again as a sophomore, which prompted talk that he'd leave school as soon as he was eligible. "Then I started getting a big head," Wayne says. "I lost focus."

With three games left in that season, Wayne tore his ACL while goofing around during practice. All the chatter of declaring early stopped as he moved down the Canes' depth chart. "I was depressed, I wasn't cutting my hair, didn't shave for months, lost 20 pounds," Wayne says. "I was like that guy in Cast Away."

While Wayne rehabbed his knee, roommate Ed Reed played part-time psychologist, nurse and motivational speaker, to help him get his head right again. Recalls Wayne: "At Miami we used to say, 'If you get hurt, your bad,' because the dude behind you is probably better than you."

By the time Wayne came back, in the fall of 1999, Moss had become the breakout star, and Wayne was just a nice second option. But what he'd lost in stature he'd gained in perspective. He refined his routes as the No. 2, focused on catching whatever was thrown his way and became more polished in the process. As a senior, playing opposite Moss, he led the team in receiving yards, had 10 touchdown receptions and finished his Canes career by shattering the school record for catches. The Colts, picking 30th in the first round of the 2001 draft, saw Wayne's body of work and thought he'd be the perfect soft-spoken, soft-handed complement to Harrison.

When he arrived in Indy and witnessed the famous chemistry between Manning and Harrison, Wayne quickly wanted in. "Peyton would nod his head, and Marv would know what he was talking about," he remembers. "But to come to me, Peyton had to explain a lot of things. Me and him, we took a little bit of time."

Wayne also saw that Harrison, while amiable, wasn't exactly the nurturing type. So when the rook wanted info, he went to James, his best friend from the U. "EJ looked out for me, showed me what to do, taught me how to practice," says Wayne. "If I had to figure something out, I went to him. You don't go to Marv unless it's something you really, really need to know. You just watch him. He leads by example."

And the lesson? "Practice, practice, practice. It's nothing outside of football. My thing to get Peyton's respect was to catch whatever ball he threw, even if it wasn't his best ball. My second year, I caught a lot of third downs to keep drives going. As the years went by, I started getting the head bob from him, all the theatrics, the secret codesit let me know I was in there."

Now during practices, teammates marvel at the catches Harrison and Wayne make. And like any fans of the game, they constantly debate who's better. "Both of them are crazy, but I'll say Reggie," says Cato June, who spent four years as a Colts linebacker before signing with the Bucs this winter. "There's never a situation where the ball gets to Reggie's shoulder. DBs don't get many interceptions on him because he attacks the ball so well."

Having learned to share with Moss at Miami, Wayne was well prepared for his role opposite Harrison. He knew from experience that putting his desire to be No. 1 on the back burner didn't mean he wouldn't get his fair share of balls. Even now, Wayne knows his stats would make him the go-to guy on nearly any other team. He also knows that if he ended his catches with a little more showbiz, he might have been summoned to the Pro Bowl sooner.

At six feet, 198 pounds, Wayne half-jokingly describes himself as "an average black dude with a low haircut" and says he's glad his star quality is all in the math. "As much as I'm a Chad Johnson and TO fan, I don't need all the theatrical stuff," he says. "Every once in a while I'm going to give you a little something in the end zone, but I do that only when all my teammates want me to."

Wayne has a kind of sleeper-hit coolness. He doesn't really mind that most people who don't know much about him a.ssume his personality is just like Harrison's: quiet. "I'm a humble dude," he says. "I don't talk trash to nobody unless they talk trash to me."

But if he's not really a bad boy, he's not quite a stereotypical choirboy, either. A self-professed tattoo addict, Wayne has 13, including "Silent" on one forearm and "Assassin" on the other. The largest, across his forearm, is of the New Orleans skyline. Another depicts him kneeling at the grave of friends he's lost. And Wayne plans to get No. 14 inked onto his chest this off-season. It will be a picture of his brother Rashad.

Our hands are said to be our main instruments for interacting with -- and altering -- the world around us. That's most certainly true for Wayne, who can often control his and his team's destinies with his fingertips. Which is why what happened last Sept. 24 made him feel so helpless. Shortly before Wayne racked up 82 yards on four catches as the Colts beat Jacksonville in Indy, Rashad, a delivery truck driver in New Orleans, was k!lled when he crashed into a guardrail.

Sadly, the Colts famously had been in this position before: gathering together in the middle of the season for a funeral. Several members of the team and head coach Tony Dungy, whose son had died just before the previous season's playoffs, flew to New Orleans for Rashad's service. So did James, who came in from Arizona. "It was tough," James says. "But Reggie's tough."

Wayne didn't take time off during the season to mourn, choosing not to skip any games at all. "My brother was always energetic and had everybody laughing," he says. "He wouldn't have wanted me to just sit and be depressed and cry all day. He'd be like, 'Man, you got to get up from that.' " When he did, his playing was the relief that both he and his family needed. Says his aunt Shirley Wayne: "He was just a bright spot for us."

That helps to explain why, when Wayne made his first trip to Hawaii, he didn't do it alone. He brought 15 relatives along to help celebrate his season and to grieve for his brother. That Saturday during the Pro Bowl, Wayne was the best receiver on the field, catching a game-high six passes for 137 yards and a touchdown.

Before the game, with his family watching from the stands, Wayne did his usual finger stretches, lining up his fingertips and pushing them backward and toward each other. "When I catch the ball, they're nice and loose," he says. "You can tell people who take pride in catching the ball, because they're using their hands, not just cradling it. They can catch it one-handed or away from their body. They work at it. I take pride in my hands."

As well he should. They're battle-tested.
 10 years ago '04        #1447
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
my n*gga used to catch rocks :wow:
 10 years ago '06        #1448
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,585 | Props total: 11969 11969
peace out paul dee

has anybody heard of taylor cook

05-09-2007, 08:42 PM         #1449
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Reggie Wayne>>>

Miami Recievers>>>

Miami Runningbacks>>>

Miami Tight Ends>>>>

Miami players>>>
 10 years ago '05        #1450
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,917 | Props total: 3 3
 Black_Deuce said:
Reggie Wayne>>>

Miami Recievers>>>

Miami Runningbacks>>>

Miami Tight Ends>>>>

Miami players>>>
Not trying to start a damn thing but I'm wondering....when did you become such a Miami fan?
 05-09-2007, 08:51 PM         #1451
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Y2Luda said:
Not trying to start a damn thing but I'm wondering....when did you become such a Miami fan?
sup luda... poppin out of nowhere

I wanted to go to Miami... but it was way to far and expensive. Ive been a Miami fan since I was small though. All my favorite NFL players went there. I ended up going to State College in PSU but I still fell like I have ties to there... real recognize real

OF COURSE... going to Penn State means supporting the team no matter what

actually its an even longer story, I was a bigshot in High School till I tore my ACL, I could have gotten a full ride from a mid major at the worst... got here on my own merits as a freshman, now Im finishing up my rehab about to take a crack at the team. the coaches said go ahead and stop by in late august or july, they've seen film of me and everything. so naturally I support the team I'm hoping to play for...

but its Miami all day....

and fu*k the Buckeyes :finger: I guess your alright though

Last edited by Black_Deuce; 05-09-2007 at 08:58 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #1452
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,917 | Props total: 3 3
 Black_Deuce said:

sup luda... poppin out of nowhere

I wanted to go to Miami... but it was way to far and expensive. Ive been a Miami fan since I was small though. All my favorite NFL players went there. I ended up going to State College in PSU but I still fell like I have ties to there... real recognize real

OF COURSE... going to Penn State means supporting the team no matter what

actually its an even longer story, I was a bigshot in High School till I tore my ACL, I could have gotten a full ride from a mid major at the worst... got here on my own merits as a freshman, now Im finishing up my rehab about to take a crack at the team. the coaches said go ahead and stop by in late august or july, they've seen film of me and everything. so naturally I support the team I'm hoping to play for...

but its Miami all day....

and fu*k the Buckeyes :finger: I guess your alright though
Ahhhh. Appreciate it. I'd prop back but I have to spread it around before giving it to you again. Let's you know how often I hand it out.......
 05-09-2007, 11:20 PM         #1453
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yea, no problems...

maybe if you sportscasting youll be hearing about me in a couple years... lol

seriously though. I had like 70 tackles and 12 sacks my junior year playing varsity
 05-10-2007, 01:41 AM         #1454
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Updated: May 9, 2007, 6:39 PM ET
Dee to leave job as AD to teach at Miami
ESPN.com news services

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- University of Miami athletic director Paul Dee plans to resign in June 2008 and join the faculty.

"I have always wanted to teach," Dee said Wednesday. "This way, I can transition to the faculty and teach at the university for a few years before I retire."

Under Dee, the Hurricanes won a national championship in football in 2001, and baseball titles in 1999 and 2001. He oversaw the firing in November of football coach Larry Coker, who went 60-15 with a national title in six seasons with the Hurricanes, and the hiring of new coach Randy Shannon.

"We have had many challenges," said Dee, who became athletic director in 1993. "But we've had a lot more ups than downs. I've had a wonderful experience."

During Dee's tenure, the Miami program moved from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Hurricanes added scholarship programs in three women's sports -- soccer, volleyball and rowing -- and have had strong programs in men's and women's tennis and women's track.

Last season's football season was marred by an on-field f!ght between Miami and neighboring Florida International.

The brawl came in the third quarter of the first-ever meeting between the schools, a game the Hurricanes won 35-0. Florida International suspended 18 players, kicking two of those off the team entirely, while Miami suspended 13 players for their role in the brawl.

"It is important for us to use opportunities such as these to re-emphasize this commitment to sportsmanship and to use it as an opportunity to provide a meaningful learning experience," Dee said at the time. "The University of Miami does not tolerate actions inconsistent with this principle."

University president Donna Shalala thanked Dee for "extraordinary service" and looked forward to his "continued wise counsel."

"His measured, full and thoughtful advice to the leadership of this university has been unmatched," she said.

Before becoming AD, Dee worked for the school as vice president and general counsel for 12 years.

Information from The a.ssociated Press was used in this report.
 05-10-2007, 01:46 PM         #1455
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 8, 2007

Mike Farrell
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
According to former Charlotte (N.C.) Olympic head coach Maurice Flowers, his talented offensive tackle Andrew Wallace picked up his first offer. The 6-foot-5, 267-pounder picked it up from an ACC power.

Miami offered Wallace last week.
"Coach Michael Barrow came in to school last week and offered him a full scholarship," Flowers said. "They had to make sure to see what he's like on tape and after that he said Andrew has the kind of size they want in Miami."

Did Wallace say much about the offer?

"He's ecstatic," he said. "He knows the history and it's great to have a first offer from such a storied program. I know he's excited, but ready to keep working hard.

"From here, I'd really anticipate a lot more offers coming in. He did well down in Athens and his tape is just starting to circulate."

Flowers discussed what makes Wallace stick out on the line.

"He's a dominant player with great feet," he said. "He's what you want in an offensive tackle. He's tall at 6-foot-5 with long arms and has great strength. He can really move and that is probably his best attribute as we pulled him out for counters and screens."

This summer the North Carolina lineman plans to attend camps at North Carolina, NC State and Miami.

Meanwhile, 6-foot-1, 225-pound linebacker Jared Seate continues to garner interest.

"He hasn't gotten his first offer, but Buffalo is getting close," he said. "I know the ACC schools are real hot on Jared along with some MAC like Ball State and Buffalo.

"He did a great job in Athens and is looking forward to a terrific senior year."

On the field, Seate has plenty of ability.

"He's everything you want in a linebacker," he said. "He models himself after Dan Morgan and does a good job. He carries his game like that; he's all over the field and plays with a lot of emotion. That's probably one of his best strengths. He's also a great athlete."
 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM         #1456
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 9, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Taylor Cook bioVideo highlights

Altair (TX) Rice Consolidated High School QB Taylor Cook didn't want to wait to make a commitment.

He knew the Canes had offered a couple of other quarterbacks, and he knew Miami was where he wanted to play.

So he pulled the trigger this morning in a phone call to coach Randy Shannon.

"Me and my family and head coach called, I said `I'm ready to commit,'" Cook said. "Coach Shannon was glad to hear that and accepted it."

Cook first received the offer last week after offensive coordinator Patrick Nix saw him practice.

"He came May 1 and after he left he told my coach he was going to offer me," Cook said.

Why pull the trigger on a commitment now?

"This is Division I football and I've always wanted this," Cook said. "I love how coach Nix sounded talking to him on the phone, and talking to coach Shannon I trust him and like how he goes about things. I just wanted to be a Hurricane.

"I don't know a lot about Miami, but I'm going to take a trip there in June."

Cook is a 6-foot-7, 210-pounder with 4.63-second speed. He led his team to a 9-3 record and the regional finals last year while completing 117 of 236 passes for 1,982 yards with 26 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He also rushed 56 times for 278 yards with six touchdowns.

He was named the District MVP and was a third-team All-State quarterback. He was also named third-team All-State punter after averaging 40.3 yards.

As a sophomore he was named the Offensive Newcomer in the district. He hit on 77 of 160 passes for 1,178 yards with 13 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He also rushed 62 times for 177 yards with six more scores.

"He's got a tremendous arm and the ability to take off and run when pressured, has good feet in the pocket," Rice Consolidated coach Brad Dumont said. "He's very intelligent and he has a big-time desire to win, real good work habits.

"That's another reason he committed to Miami - some others hadn't offered but talked to him about being an athlete and he wanted to play quarterback. He wanted to commit to Miami a week ago, when coach Nix was here. His parents and myself were skeptical, said that he should see Miami, see what it was all about. He knew they were recruiting about three quarterbacks and he knew he wanted to be one of the ones that had a shot, so he wanted to do it before someone else did. Naturally he would have loved to stay here in state, but Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech hadn't offered and he was getting antsy and ready to go.

"When he talked to coach Shannon, coach let him know he didn't have to commit now, had a chance to come down in June and check it out, which he'll do. Coach Shannon was excited he was ready to pull the trigger without even coming down."

Cook lists two other offers: Southern Methodist and Kansas State.

He's the first player in Rice Consolidated history to commit to a Division I-A school.

"We've got six kids playing college football right now, and they're all Division I-AA or junior college," said Dumont, who has coached at Rice Consolidated for eight years. "He was very excited when Miami came on. He's got aspirations of playing football on Sundays, and Miami is known for its quarterbacks. That's one of the things that he was really, really interested in."

Asked his goals at Miami, Cook said, "As a freshman I'll probably redshirt, but then I want to start and take them to a bowl game."

Cook is a tremendous athlete who also is the pitcher on his school's baseball team and is the center on the basketball team.

"He's an all-around athlete," Dumont said.

Cook says his commitment to Miami is solid even if a Texas or Texas A&M come calling with an offer down the road.

"I'm committed to Miami," he said. "If Texas or A&M offers, I'm committed to Miami. I'm not going to back down from the commitment."

Cook said his understanding is that Miami will take one more quarterback in this recruiting class.

"I'm not sure who it will be," he said.
 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM         #1457
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 9, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Damion Square bioVideo highlights

Houston (TX) Yates High School DE Damion Square got a visit from Cane coach Tommie Robinson last Friday for his Spring game.

"I can't talk to them in person (per NCAA rules), but they talked to my coach," the 6-foot-3, 260-pounder with 4.6-second speed said. "My coach talked to them for a very long time. They were just talking, having a good time."

Square spoke with UM coaches on the phone after they visited his school.

"I talked to coach Robinson yesterday and he said he liked the way I play, that I have a good motor," Square said.

Square said Arkansas was the only other college that showed up for his spring game.

And Square says there's a good chance he'll be a Hurricane when everything is said and done.

"It's a pretty high chance, but I have to go check out a couple of other places and compare them," Square said. "I need to get to Oklahoma, try to get to Florida and try to get to Arkansas. And Alabama. Those are the ones I'm looking at strong. And Texas A&M is still in the running also."

Square said he would like to make a final decision by the end of the summer.

He's already seen Miami numerous times –- his uncle, John Square, played for the Hurricanes.

"I'll probably take a visit to Miami also because I can get down there without an official visit," Square said.

Square says of the recruiting process that "Everyone asks where I'm going. I say I'm just going to wait, go through the process and hopefully God will lead me to the right place. I have a lot of options.

"It's very hard, but I just try to sit back, relax and have fun with it."

Whichever program lands Square will have a heck of a prospect on its hands.

He had 91 tackles and 16 sacks as a junior.

"Damion's an exceptional athlete," Yates High coach Clarence McKinnie said. "As a freshman he was the quarterback. He has the talent of any of the guys that have come through here."

The list of former Yates players includes NFL stars Santana Dotson and Dexter Manley.
 05-10-2007, 01:48 PM         #1458
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 9, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Kayne Farquharson bioVideo highlights

Hurricane signee Kayne Farquharson says he is all set academically for admission to Miami.

He says he received a B and 2 C's in classes he took at a local community college this past semester.

"All I needed was all C's or better, so I did my part," he said. "I finished up April 27. I've sent in my official transcripts to Miami."

Farquharson needed the community college credits in conjunction with his two years at a junior college in California in order to be eligible for admission this fall.

He signed with UM in December.

Now all he's waiting for is word from the Miami admissions office that he's officially been accepted.

"I'm getting ready for summer workouts and summer school and getting ready to win a national championship," Farquharson said.

He says he hasn't spoken with Hurricane coaches recently but that he expects to play the `X' receiver position his first year (he arrives as a junior).

"Wherever they need me, that's where I'm at," he said. "If they need me at a.ssistant water boy, I'll do that."

Farquharson says he's been running "a lot" and going to a local gym and high school to lift weights.

"I've been running a lot of 110's to stay in some type of football shape," he said.
 05-10-2007, 01:48 PM         #1459
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
2008 Commitment List

Switch to BasketballMiami-FL 2008 Football Commitments (7)
Page 1 Page 2 Capsules
Commitment Lists: >
SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT Pos Stars Ht Wt 40 RR Video Hometown
COMMITTED/NOT YET SIGNED Pos Stars Ht Wt 40 RR Video Hometown
Taylor Cook QB 6-7 210 4.63 - Altair, TX
Patrick Johnson DB 6-1 193 4.47 - Pompano Beach, FL
Jeremy Lewis DT 6-3 280 - - West Palm Beach, FL
Micanor Regis DT 6-3 307 5.06 - Pahokee, FL
Justin Thompson DT 6-5 280 - - Torrance, CA
Brandon Washington OL 6-4 310 5.47 - Miami, FL
Joe Wylie DB 6-2 171 4.5 - Fort Lauderdale, FL
 10 years ago '04        #1460
itstheshoes 
space
space
$883 | Props total: 0 0
Taylor Cook QB 6-7 210 4.63 - Altair, TX

Wow!! Dude is super tall. Good pick up though. Hopefully will yall picking him up, this will give us (FSU) an edge with EJ.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Middle School Student in China Proposes to His Teacher, Gets Mercilessl..
26 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside The Rothschild Conspiracy explained in 4 minutes
87 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Plano High School Curriculum: Beer Pong & Algebra Teacher Puzzy
92 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
370 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Envy talks about the difference between Diddy and 50 Cent (Drink Cha..
42 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Short niggas take a L. What else is new?
148 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
73 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
160 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy