Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #1341
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Oh my God, i hope you guys were watching Jim Rome today, i had a good laugh when he was acting all sarcastic about Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams and the other dude admitting that they smoked weed

anyways back to the news....

April 19, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

It was hard to get a gauge on just how much progress Miami's receivers made this spring.

That's because most of them weren't participating.

Lance Leggett was enjoying his best spring as a Hurricane when it ended prematurely March 29 with a knee injury. It's expected he will be back at 100 percent in the fall.

Darnell Jenkins left the team after just a couple of practices this spring due to family issues. He's also expected back in the fall.

And George Robinson, who redshirted last year due to injury, did not participate this spring as he was banged up.

Mosely said, because of the missing receivers this spring, that "The progress we've made really isn't going to show until we get to the fall. That's a big thing you have to be patient about as a coach.

Good news is Leggett made some big plays before getting injured. It was the kind of play Cane coaches wanted to see from the speedster.

"He's a difference-maker," offensive coordanator Patrick Nix said. "There's no doubt. When you have a great wide receiver, that changes a ball game. Lance can fly, is big enough to get off press coverage."

Sam Shields, Ryan Hill and Khalil Jones were the only healthy scholarship receivers that participated all spring.

"They all have a long ways to go," receivers coach Marques Mosely said of the healthy receivers. "Sam and Ryan are younger guys, Khalil knows the tempo, the level of what we expect out of our guys. Sam and Ryan just need to pick it up a little more, be consistent in what they're doing."

Jones had some nice catches this spring, including a 41-yard catch that was one of the few offensive highlights in the Spring Game.

He says he's been working hard on developing soft hands.

"Me coming from high school, catching was something I had to work on a lot," Jones said. "I feel like now it's really easy. When coach [Curtis] Johnson was here he told me all catching was was repetition -- the more you catch, the better you get. So I made sure I caught as many balls as I could every day, and I'm still doing it. I just feel like right now I'm ready to put everything together as far as getting prepared for the season."

Asked if it's fair to a.ssume that Jenkins and Leggett will begin the fall with the first group, since they're the most experienced receivers, Mosely said, "Who knows what may happen? These freshmen may come in and have a great summer, pick up our information rapidly and beat Lance and Darnell out. That would be great for us. Who will start against Marshall? We'll find out when we step on the field against Marshall."

The Canes will be helped by the arrival of four true freshman in the fall. Mosely has said all could play immediately.
 10 years ago '04        #1342
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Updated: April 19, 2007, 12:11 PM ET
Olsen brings athleticism to TE position
Pasquarelli
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

When he wasn't dominating opponents as a Parade magazine All-American tight end at Wayne Hills (N.J.) High School, where he was regarded as one of the nation's premier prep performers during his 2002 senior season, Greg Olsen didn't lack for athletic diversions.

The top tight end prospect in this year's NFL draft, Olsen averaged 16.3 points and 8.0 rebounds as a power forward on the basketball team. For the track squad, Olsen competed in the javelin and shot put. Even on the football team, coached by his father, he moonlighted, playing defensive end and handling the deep-snapping chores.

Scouting report: Greg Olsen
Strengths: A fine athlete with good height and frame to add bulk. He shows good initial burst and gets into his routes quickly. ...

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and needs to get bigger. Also must improve his overall strength. He does not show an explosive upper body power or the base to anchor. Too much of a "finesse" blocker. ...

Well, the diverse background helped mold the University of Miami star into the lone tight end likely to be selected in the first round of next week's draft. In some ways, though, the competitive carousel that Olsen rode to the top of the 2007 tight end class makes him similar to many players at a position that is now defined by the convergence of skill sets it demands at the NFL level.

At no position, it seems, do players entering the draft have more well-rounded athletic résumés than at tight end. And at no position is basketball such a common denominator.

"You look at the skills involved, especially with things like lateral movement or change of direction, and there's definitely a strong correlation between playing basketball and playing tight end," said Olsen, who will extend the impressive lineage of top-shelf tight ends produced by the Hurricanes. "From the strength involved, the jumping, to body positioning and control, there are similarities. Playing basketball at a pretty good high school level, in a state where there were strong programs, definitely helped make me a better tight end."

With the recent success of Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez, San Diego's Antonio Gates and recent Seattle free-agent acquisition Marcus Pollard, all of whom played hoops at the college level, the influence of basketball on the tight end position has certainly been profound. A guy who didn't play football at Kent State, and last played his senior year at Central High School in Detroit before signing with San Diego as an undrafted free agent in 2003, Gates is now the poster boy for the power forward turned NFL Pro Bowler.

Greg Olsen
JC Ridley/WireImage.com
Greg Olsen could be picked in the top half of the first round.

"Teams are beating the basketball bushes now looking for the next Gates," Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "It used to be, when you walked in the office and someone had [an NCAA Tournament] game on the television, it was because he was keeping tabs on his brackets. Not now. They're looking for tight ends wearing tennis shoes."

Scouts don't have to dig deep this year for tight end prospects with basketball backgrounds.

Eight of the top 10 consensus tight end prospects in the 2007 talent pool played basketball at the high school level or beyond, most at the small forward or power forward positions.

Western Oregon's Kevin Boss, projected as a late-round selection, played two years of college basketball and led his team in blocked shots in 2005-06. Rodney Hannah of Houston also played two seasons and his hoops résumé includes three double-digit rebound games. Minnesota's Matt Spaeth, the John Mackey Award winner as the nation's top tight end in 2006, averaged nearly 30 points and 13 rebounds in three seasons as a high school center.

Matt Herian of Nebraska, who is more a pumped-up wide receiver than a pure tight end, was a standout player on two state championship high school basketball teams. Oregon's Dante Rosario played on two state championship teams in high school. Delaware's Ben Patrick, who has the second-most career receptions of any of the tight ends in the '07 talent pool, used his hands to rip down rebounds before he did to snare footballs.

The Green Bay Packers earlier this month auditioned Wisconsin-La Crosse power forward Joe Werner, who hasn't played football since his sophomore year of high school. Werner ran in the 4.7s and posted a 36-inch vertical jump, and at 6-foot-7 and 255 pounds, he could be on the radar screen as a free agent candidate if he wants to pursue a football career.

It's still rare when a basketball player with little functional football experience makes the jump from the foul line to the goal line, but the correlation between the forward and tight end positions is pretty hard to ignore. And since tight end has historically been a tough slot to fill for many NFL teams, turning over every stone in an effort to unearth a potential tight end prospect might require showing up at the occasional basketball game.

"You aren't going to find them if you're not looking for them," one veteran scout said. "Of course, getting a guy like [Gates], there's a little luck involved, too."

It won't take a stroke of good fortune to identify Olsen as not only the top player in what is regarded as a very shallow 2007 tight end class, but as a versatile receiver who can quickly upgrade a team's midfield passing game. Olsen, 22, played three seasons for the Hurricanes after transferring from Notre Dame, and in his two years as the starter, he caught 71 passes for 940 yards and five touchdowns. For his career, Olsen finished with 87 receptions for 1,215 yards and six touchdowns in 33 games, including 26 starts.

Like most tight ends coming out of the college game, Olsen readily concedes he needs some work on his in-line blocking, but he is a willing worker and is improving in that area. Given his overall athleticism and movement skills, which really jumped out at the combine, there is little reason to believe he won't be an immediate factor in some team's passing attack.

At the combine, Olsen checked in at 6-5 7/8 and 254 pounds but was still clocked in the 40 in a sterling 4.51 seconds. How fast is that? Consider this: It is a better time than was turned in by 19 of the 42 wide receivers who ran at Indianapolis. He also turned in a vertical jump of 35˝ inches and a standing long jump of 9 feet, 6 inches. At his campus pro day workout for scouts on March 3, Olsen improved his vertical jump to 37˝ inches and his long jump to 9-11.

"You look at the skills involved, especially with things like lateral movement or change of direction, and there's definitely a strong correlation between playing basketball and playing tight end."
Greg Olsen

It doesn't hurt Olsen, either, that this is a very pedestrian talent pool compared to the tight end classes of the last several drafts. Of the 16 tight ends who ran at the combine, Olsen was the only one to record a 40 time of less than 4.7 seconds.

"He moves so well and he's got the kind of long frame where, even if he adds 15-20 pounds, which it looks like he can do, he'll still be plenty quick," Arizona first-year head coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "[He is] very smooth, very athletic, and he understands the position."

Olsen also understands the lineage he is being asked to uphold as a Miami tight end. He was a teammate of Kellen Winslow, has chatted with Jeremy Shockey, with whom he shares an agent, and worked out with Bubba Franks, all former Hurricanes star at the position.

"If you are going to play tight end," Olsen noted, "this is definitely the place to be."

And if a team is going to choose a tight end in the first round next week, it's a slam dunk that Olsen is the one who will be selected.

Given the preponderance of Cover 2 style defenses in the NFL, it's imperative to have a flexible, upfield tight end, who can flex off the line of scrimmage at times, move out into the slot and provide a passing game a midfield presence. The need for that kind of player definitely has fueled the re-emergence of the tight end position.

"The way teams play that [Cover 2] now, with the safeties so wide, it really takes away your vertical game unless you've got a tight end who can get deep," Olsen said. "I think I've shown that I can get up the middle, create some separation, and catch the ball. With my size and receiving skills, I would hope I could cause some matchup problems for defenses, and that some team sees that."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer at ESPN.com.
 04-19-2007, 04:11 PM         #1343
-Scar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What's y'all ranking going into this year? Just wondering cuz if I remember correct last year wasn't a good one. Especially with that whole f!ght thing. The media wouldn't let that one go for a while. But yeah just outta curiousity. Didn't y'all get a new coach or something? Oh and what was the deal that one game y'all had them uniforms with the gold helmets? Didn't even look like Miami and didn't play like Miami that game. I remember after that y'all never word em again. Where they throwbacks or something?
 10 years ago '04        #1344
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 Simba said:
What's y'all ranking going into this year? Just wondering cuz if I remember correct last year wasn't a good one. Especially with that whole f!ght thing. The media wouldn't let that one go for a while. But yeah just outta curiousity. Didn't y'all get a new coach or something? Oh and what was the deal that one game y'all had them uniforms with the gold helmets? Didn't even look like Miami and didn't play like Miami that game. I remember after that y'all never word em again. Where they throwbacks or something?
based on the decent recruiting class and the high number of returning starters, i'd say we start out ranked between 20-24

randy shannon is the new head coach, he's been the defensive coordinator past couple of years

i think they wore the gold helmets for homecoming as a tribute to the 1967 squad
 10 years ago '05        #1345
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,917 | Props total: 3 3
 RakimAllahNY said:
Pretty sure you guys got Chris Gamble from down here
I wasn't going past the 2002 season. If we go back further we get names like:

Michael Jenkins
Chris Gamble
etc
 10 years ago '04        #1346
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 19, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Fullback James Bryant, who has had a rocky career as a Miami Hurricane, will not return to the team this fall.

Sources told CaneSport that Bryant and Head Coach Randy Shannon reached a mutual decision this week that Bryant will finish his career at another school. There is no word yet on where Bryant will transfer.

Bryant's career has been marred by multiple position switches and discipline issues. At times he showed promise as a fullback and special teams player. But he never was able to sustain quality play or stay out of Larry Coker's doghouse.

Bryant will have one year of eligibility left when he transfers and still has a redshirt year he can utilize.

He played in 11 of 12 games as a true freshman linebacker in 2004, mostly on the special teams kickoff coverage units. He finished the season with eight tackles.

In 2005, he was the backup fullback and a top special teams player, playing in all 12 games, making one start. He rushed one time for eight yards and caught two passes for 44 yards. He made 15 tackles on special teams (second on the team).

Bryant switched to linebacker in 2006 before moving back to fullback. He caught three passes for 26 yards and scored two touchdowns.

He was an exceptional two-way player at Reading (Pa.) High who was regarded as one of the nation's top linebacker prospects. As a senior in 2003, he made 182 tackles, had eight sacks, four interceptions, four fumble recoveries and returned two fumbles for touchdowns. He also rushed for 950 yards and 13 touchdowns as a tailback on offense.
 10 years ago '06        #1347
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
good looks
 10 years ago '04        #1348
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 19, 2007

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Boyd Anderson High School DB Joe Wylie is a new name on the Hurricane recruiting front.

He hasn't gotten much attention from recruiting services despite listing offers from the likes of Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia Tech and Georgia.

But Wylie says he's close to making a decision, and it looks like it could be the Hurricanes.

"I received a Miami offer at the beginning of this month," Wylie said. "This past Sunday I went for an unofficial visit and I loved everything about it."

Wylie certainly has a close connection with Miami: Both his parents attended UM, and his father –- also named Joe Wylie -– played basketball for the Hurricanes in the late 1980's.

"On the (unofficial) visit everything coach [Jeff] Stoutland had been telling me on the phone, it was the same thing he was talking about," Wylie said. "It just seemed like such a family atmosphere, everyone was happy to see me and I was happy to see everyone."

The players weren't around during Wylie's visit, but he says he's going back this weekend to meet them.

A 6-foot-2, 191-pounder, Wylie says the Hurricanes are recruiting him as a safety.

He played free safety, quarterback and receiver last season. He started two games at quarterback and rushed for a pair of touchdowns in those games. On defense he had five interceptions and 40 tackles.

"He's a rangy player, is very fast on the field, has a 40-inch vertical," Boyd Anderson coach Mark James said. "He's a basketball player and a long jumper, is a great athlete. He can do so many things."
 10 years ago '04        #1349
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 20, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

With Greg Olsen gone, the pressure is on Miami's tight ends to step up their games.

And DajLeon Farr showed this spring that he has the ability to be a threat. The question is his consistency. He dropped several passes and can't afford to continue to do that if the Canes want to be able to rely on him.

Farr was used primarily at tight end while the only other two scholarship tight ends on the roster -- Chris Zellner and Dedrick Epps -- got most of their reps at H-back.

Regardless of how they are used, all three players have excellent ability but very little experience.

Zellner started at H-back last year but suffered injury problems and had only eight receptions for 31 yards. Epps saw spot duty off the bench last year as a true freshman. And Farr has only four career catches.

This is a position that will remain a question mark until these players make some plays in games.

It's imperative that at least one or two of the tight ends become consistent to help take the pressure off the wide receivers.

"We're excited about those guys," Shannon said. "They were great guys coming out of high school. It's a great opportunity for them to step up."

Tight ends coach Joe Pannunzio adds, "We have a big hole to fill with losing Greg Olsen. But Farr and Zellner and Epps have really stepped up. We're in the growing process. They had a good spring, so we're looking forward to a great off-season and then hopefully in the fall they'll come in and make a few plays.

"As a group we have a chance for them to really be productive. As you look at our football team, it's a position we're deep in. All three will play a lot, and the way we're doing things Jerrell Mabry is an H-back that can interweave, which makes it hard on a defense because they don't know if you're two tight ends or one. And some of the guys could play inside or outside receiver at times.
 10 years ago '04        #1350
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
damn shame about james bryant
dude had an a.ssload of talent, just couldnt keep his head on straight
i wonder if he was still in the doghouse from last year...
 10 years ago '04        #1351
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 20, 2007

Tony Morrell
GamecockCentral.com

Lakeland (Fla.) Lake Gibson offensive lineman Ricky Barnum has seen his offer list climb to eight schools, including a recent scholarship offer from the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Ricky Barnum plans to visit South Carolina this summer.
"Virginia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Clemson, Auburn, Boston College, USF and UCF have offered me," the 6-foot-4, 265-pound Barnum said. "I haven't narrowed down my list yet. All of those schools are still under consideration."

South Carolina has jumped on Barnum at full speed.

"They're coming after me hard," he said. "I watched their spring game on ESPN, and I like coach (Steve) Spurrier a lot. They had a microphone on him so you could hear how he talks to his players. I like his style. Coach (David) Reaves is coming to see me soon, and I'm going to go visit them this summer."

Miami is trying to lure Barnum to South Florida.

"I like my recruiter from Miami, coach (Clint) Hurtt," Barnum said. "We talk on the phone all the time. I feel like we have the kind of relationship where I can tell him anything. He's always straight forward with me."

Barnum, who bench presses 340 pounds, said the recent shootings at Virginia Tech won't deter him from giving the Hokies a fair shake.

"I've already been up there for a visit, and I liked it. The k!llings really don't change anything for me. I feel like something like that could happen anywhere at any school. I love Torrian Gray, the coach that's recruiting me."

Clemson is also a newcomer to Barnum's list.

"Coach (Chris) Rumph is one of those guys that doesn't sugar coat anything when he's talking to me. He's the kind that hates excuses from players. He's also a Christian man, and that's important to me. I want to play for Godly people."

Barnum knows what he's looking for in a school and when he'll commit.

"I want to get a good education, play for a good football program and be in a good environment. I'll decide after my senior season is over with. I don't have a top list of schools yet, but I'd say USF, South Carolina, Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech are recruiting me the hardest."
 04-20-2007, 01:39 PM         #1352
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I can't wait for the season damn
 10 years ago '04        #1353
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 21, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Injuries hit the offensive line hard this spring, with missing players including returning starters Jason Fox and Derrick Morse, who was trying to get some experience at center for the first time.

With Morse out, it was Matt Pipho that got most of the reps at center. And he hopes he showed enough that he can keep the job in the fall. But there were some struggles with snap accuracy with Pipho behind center. Pipho was a tight end in high school and played guard last year.

"Guard and tackle there are similarities, but center has a lot of differences you have to learn," Pipho said. "Coach [Jeff] Stoutland has helped me out a lot, and I think I've made a lot of progress.

"The [starting center] job is up for a f!ght. It's nobody's job right now."

Stoutland said he'll work Morse at center and right guard in the fall.

Playing tackle with the first group for most of this spring were Reggie Youngblood and Chris Rutledge, who Stoutland singled out as one of the most improved players. The guards were Chris Barney and Andrew Bain. When Morse and Fox return it's likely that Barney and Pipho will be demoted.

Stoutland said he plans to use Fox at left tackle and Youngblood at right tackle.

Providing depth and trying to work their way up in the fall are Ian Symonette, Joel Figueroa, A.J. Trump and Tyrone Byrd. Trump and Byrd missed the spring due to injury.

"This is a fairly intelligent group, so they stayed with it and are making progress," Stoutland said. "I'm happy with it so far."

Coach Randy Shannon says he is still looking for five to eight offensive linemen that he feels are reliable.

"We just have to find guys that can help us win," Shannon said. "We're trying to find the right mix. Somebody's going to get nicked, so find another guy."
 04-22-2007, 02:35 AM         #1354
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Check the avy, Three D Defense.. Doug Wiggins is gonna be the best CB in the whole damn country soon.
 04-22-2007, 02:56 AM         #1355
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good updates... as usual
 10 years ago '04        #1356
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 22, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

For most of the spring the first group line consisted of ends Calais Campbell and Eric Moncur and tackles Antonio Dixon and Teraz McCray. The four, when healthy, are all playmakers.

Campbell continued to show himself as one of the nation's most fearsome pass rushers, and he dominated the Spring Game with three sacks.

Whenever he was in scrimmages or 11-on-11 situations this spring he was continually disrupting the offense.

He says his goal is to set a new Cane record for sacks this season -- the record is 17 set by Danny Stubbs in 1986.

"He can smash [the record]," defensive line coach Clint Hurtt said. "He's fully capable of getting 20."

Of the four, perhaps Dixon entered the spring as the biggest question mark. He hadn't played much in the past, and his conditioning has been an issue.

Randy Shannon says of the 6-foot-3, 335-pounder that "He's a big guy that pushes the pocket. He's maturing more mentally and physically. People have to realize Dixon, really his first year playing was last year. He's improved a lot, is having fun now."

The depth of the front four remains a question mark entering the fall.

The end depth seems more certain with Courtney Harris, who Hurtt says will complement Campbell as a speed rusher, and redshirt freshman Steven Wesley.

Wesley's strong play this spring appears to have solidified his role in the two-deep entering the fall.

"Steven is very coachable, has a great work ethic," defensive coordinator Tim Walton said.

Campbell adds, "He's real explosive, has a lot of potential. He picks things up fast. He's going to definitely be a force this year. He's a pass rusher and run stopper. He's not a surprise to me, but for everyone else who doesn't know who he is, he's going to be a surprise to them."

Vegas Franklin is also a role player who can make an impact at end.

The backup tackles have a lot to prove.

There is an ongoing battle to get in the four-man rotation between Dwayne Hendricks, Luqman Abdallah (who missed the spring due to injury), Joe Joseph (who missed the final five practices with a leg injury), Chaz Washington and Josh Holmes.

Holmes was mentioned by coach Randy Shannon as being the spring's biggest surprise, and he had one of the eight defensive sacks in the Spring Game.

"Josh is doing a great job in the middle," Hurtt said. "He's doing a great job."

McCray was asked if he feels the tackle position is a question mark.

"The only question is can we stay healthy throughout the season, throughout practices, can we go the long distance," McCray said. "Dix is in good shape right now, is able to play more plays than he was last year. We feel confident as a D line that everyone will do their job. Hopefully everyone can step up."

An intriguing option at end or tackle is Richard Gordon, who spent most of the spring at end. Walton has said he could play either position, and coaches say he reminds them of a young Baraka Atkins. If he can learn the defense, look for Gordon to work his way onto the field a lot next season.
 10 years ago '04        #1357
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 19, 2007

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Boyd Anderson High School DB Joe Wylie is a new name on the Hurricane recruiting front.

He hasn't gotten much attention from recruiting services despite listing offers from the likes of Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia Tech and Georgia.

But Wylie says he's close to making a decision, and it looks like it could be the Hurricanes.

"I received a Miami offer at the beginning of this month," Wylie said. "This past Sunday I went for an unofficial visit and I loved everything about it."

Wylie certainly has a close connection with Miami: Both his parents attended UM, and his father –- also named Joe Wylie -– played basketball for the Hurricanes in the late 1980's.

"On the (unofficial) visit everything coach [Jeff] Stoutland had been telling me on the phone, it was the same thing he was talking about," Wylie said. "It just seemed like such a family atmosphere, everyone was happy to see me and I was happy to see everyone."

The players weren't around during Wylie's visit, but he says he's going back this weekend to meet them.

A 6-foot-2, 191-pounder, Wylie says the Hurricanes are recruiting him as a safety.

He played free safety, quarterback and receiver last season. He started two games at quarterback and rushed for a pair of touchdowns in those games. On defense he had five interceptions and 40 tackles.

"He's a rangy player, is very fast on the field, has a 40-inch vertical," Boyd Anderson coach Mark James said. "He's a basketball player and a long jumper, is a great athlete. He can do so many things."
 10 years ago '04        #1358
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 19, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

It was hard to get a gauge on just how much progress Miami's receivers made this spring.

That's because most of them weren't participating.

Lance Leggett was enjoying his best spring as a Hurricane when it ended prematurely March 29 with a knee injury. It's expected he will be back at 100 percent in the fall.

Darnell Jenkins left the team after just a couple of practices this spring due to family issues. He's also expected back in the fall.

And George Robinson, who redshirted last year due to injury, did not participate this spring as he was banged up.

Mosely said, because of the missing receivers this spring, that "The progress we've made really isn't going to show until we get to the fall. That's a big thing you have to be patient about as a coach.

Good news is Leggett made some big plays before getting injured. It was the kind of play Cane coaches wanted to see from the speedster.

"He's a difference-maker," offensive coordanator Patrick Nix said. "There's no doubt. When you have a great wide receiver, that changes a ball game. Lance can fly, is big enough to get off press coverage."

Sam Shields, Ryan Hill and Khalil Jones were the only healthy scholarship receivers that participated all spring.

"They all have a long ways to go," receivers coach Marques Mosely said of the healthy receivers. "Sam and Ryan are younger guys, Khalil knows the tempo, the level of what we expect out of our guys. Sam and Ryan just need to pick it up a little more, be consistent in what they're doing."

Jones had some nice catches this spring, including a 41-yard catch that was one of the few offensive highlights in the Spring Game.

He says he's been working hard on developing soft hands.

"Me coming from high school, catching was something I had to work on a lot," Jones said. "I feel like now it's really easy. When coach [Curtis] Johnson was here he told me all catching was was repetition -- the more you catch, the better you get. So I made sure I caught as many balls as I could every day, and I'm still doing it. I just feel like right now I'm ready to put everything together as far as getting prepared for the season."

Asked if it's fair to a.ssume that Jenkins and Leggett will begin the fall with the first group, since they're the most experienced receivers, Mosely said, "Who knows what may happen? These freshmen may come in and have a great summer, pick up our information rapidly and beat Lance and Darnell out. That would be great for us. Who will start against Marshall? We'll find out when we step on the field against Marshall."

The Canes will be helped by the arrival of four true freshman in the fall. Mosely has said all could play immediately.
 04-22-2007, 01:31 PM         #1359
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what happened to the days where we recruited with crazy sucess in other states like texas heavy every year?

I guess the home grown talent is coming to realize the in state teams are where its at
 10 years ago '04        #1360
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
 Black_Deuce said:
what happened to the days where we recruited with crazy sucess in other states like texas heavy every year?

I guess the home grown talent is coming to realize the in state teams are where its at
nah we still get our fair share of Texas kids.

we got Chambers and McNeal last year from Texas.

we got offers out to Victor Johnson S from Texas, plays like Meriweather and DE Damien Square of Texas, nephew of former Cane John Square and a CB from Texas
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy