Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
NBA Kyrie Irving Regrets Leaving The Cavs After Celtics Lost To Cavs? ,Lebron ..
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Legendary Nickelodeon Pedophile Dan Schneider was/is a savage(in a bad way)
114 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Rose Burgundy Exposed As A Butt Pirate. His Gay Lover Show's Receipts
97 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Tyrese goin off on Yung Joc
58 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #1301
madness 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$12,940 | Props total: 2610 2610
damn shame about james bryant
dude had an a.ssload of talent, just couldnt keep his head on straight
i wonder if he was still in the doghouse from last year...
 10 years ago '04        #1302
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
April 20, 2007

Tony Morrell
GamecockCentral.com

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Lakeland (Fla.) Lake Gibson offensive lineman Ricky Barnum has seen his offer list climb to eight schools, including a recent scholarship offer from the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Ricky Barnum plans to visit South Carolina this summer.
"Virginia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Clemson, Auburn, Boston College, USF and UCF have offered me," the 6-foot-4, 265-pound Barnum said. "I haven't narrowed down my list yet. All of those schools are still under consideration."

South Carolina has jumped on Barnum at full speed.

"They're coming after me hard," he said. "I watched their spring game on ESPN, and I like coach (Steve) Spurrier a lot. They had a microphone on him so you could hear how he talks to his players. I like his style. Coach (David) Reaves is coming to see me soon, and I'm going to go visit them this summer."

Miami is trying to lure Barnum to South Florida.

"I like my recruiter from Miami, coach (Clint) Hurtt," Barnum said. "We talk on the phone all the time. I feel like we have the kind of relationship where I can tell him anything. He's always straight forward with me."

Barnum, who bench presses 340 pounds, said the recent shootings at Virginia Tech won't deter him from giving the Hokies a fair shake.

"I've already been up there for a visit, and I liked it. The k!llings really don't change anything for me. I feel like something like that could happen anywhere at any school. I love Torrian Gray, the coach that's recruiting me."

Clemson is also a newcomer to Barnum's list.

"Coach (Chris) Rumph is one of those guys that doesn't sugar coat anything when he's talking to me. He's the kind that hates excuses from players. He's also a Christian man, and that's important to me. I want to play for Godly people."

Barnum knows what he's looking for in a school and when he'll commit.

"I want to get a good education, play for a good football program and be in a good environment. I'll decide after my senior season is over with. I don't have a top list of schools yet, but I'd say USF, South Carolina, Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech are recruiting me the hardest."
 04-20-2007, 12:39 PM         #1303
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I can't wait for the season damn
 10 years ago '04        #1304
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 21, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Injuries hit the offensive line hard this spring, with missing players including returning starters Jason Fox and Derrick Morse, who was trying to get some experience at center for the first time.

With Morse out, it was Matt Pipho that got most of the reps at center. And he hopes he showed enough that he can keep the job in the fall. But there were some struggles with snap accuracy with Pipho behind center. Pipho was a tight end in high school and played guard last year.

"Guard and tackle there are similarities, but center has a lot of differences you have to learn," Pipho said. "Coach [Jeff] Stoutland has helped me out a lot, and I think I've made a lot of progress.

"The [starting center] job is up for a f!ght. It's nobody's job right now."

Stoutland said he'll work Morse at center and right guard in the fall.

Playing tackle with the first group for most of this spring were Reggie Youngblood and Chris Rutledge, who Stoutland singled out as one of the most improved players. The guards were Chris Barney and Andrew Bain. When Morse and Fox return it's likely that Barney and Pipho will be demoted.

Stoutland said he plans to use Fox at left tackle and Youngblood at right tackle.

Providing depth and trying to work their way up in the fall are Ian Symonette, Joel Figueroa, A.J. Trump and Tyrone Byrd. Trump and Byrd missed the spring due to injury.

"This is a fairly intelligent group, so they stayed with it and are making progress," Stoutland said. "I'm happy with it so far."

Coach Randy Shannon says he is still looking for five to eight offensive linemen that he feels are reliable.

"We just have to find guys that can help us win," Shannon said. "We're trying to find the right mix. Somebody's going to get nicked, so find another guy."
 04-22-2007, 01:35 AM         #1305
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Check the avy, Three D Defense.. Doug Wiggins is gonna be the best CB in the whole damn country soon.
 04-22-2007, 01:56 AM         #1306
Black_Deuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good updates... as usual
 10 years ago '04        #1307
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 22, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

For most of the spring the first group line consisted of ends Calais Campbell and Eric Moncur and tackles Antonio Dixon and Teraz McCray. The four, when healthy, are all playmakers.

Campbell continued to show himself as one of the nation's most fearsome pass rushers, and he dominated the Spring Game with three sacks.

Whenever he was in scrimmages or 11-on-11 situations this spring he was continually disrupting the offense.

He says his goal is to set a new Cane record for sacks this season -- the record is 17 set by Danny Stubbs in 1986.

"He can smash [the record]," defensive line coach Clint Hurtt said. "He's fully capable of getting 20."

Of the four, perhaps Dixon entered the spring as the biggest question mark. He hadn't played much in the past, and his conditioning has been an issue.

Randy Shannon says of the 6-foot-3, 335-pounder that "He's a big guy that pushes the pocket. He's maturing more mentally and physically. People have to realize Dixon, really his first year playing was last year. He's improved a lot, is having fun now."

The depth of the front four remains a question mark entering the fall.

The end depth seems more certain with Courtney Harris, who Hurtt says will complement Campbell as a speed rusher, and redshirt freshman Steven Wesley.

Wesley's strong play this spring appears to have solidified his role in the two-deep entering the fall.

"Steven is very coachable, has a great work ethic," defensive coordinator Tim Walton said.

Campbell adds, "He's real explosive, has a lot of potential. He picks things up fast. He's going to definitely be a force this year. He's a pass rusher and run stopper. He's not a surprise to me, but for everyone else who doesn't know who he is, he's going to be a surprise to them."

Vegas Franklin is also a role player who can make an impact at end.

The backup tackles have a lot to prove.

There is an ongoing battle to get in the four-man rotation between Dwayne Hendricks, Luqman Abdallah (who missed the spring due to injury), Joe Joseph (who missed the final five practices with a leg injury), Chaz Washington and Josh Holmes.

Holmes was mentioned by coach Randy Shannon as being the spring's biggest surprise, and he had one of the eight defensive sacks in the Spring Game.

"Josh is doing a great job in the middle," Hurtt said. "He's doing a great job."

McCray was asked if he feels the tackle position is a question mark.

"The only question is can we stay healthy throughout the season, throughout practices, can we go the long distance," McCray said. "Dix is in good shape right now, is able to play more plays than he was last year. We feel confident as a D line that everyone will do their job. Hopefully everyone can step up."

An intriguing option at end or tackle is Richard Gordon, who spent most of the spring at end. Walton has said he could play either position, and coaches say he reminds them of a young Baraka Atkins. If he can learn the defense, look for Gordon to work his way onto the field a lot next season.
 10 years ago '04        #1308
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 19, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Boyd Anderson High School DB Joe Wylie is a new name on the Hurricane recruiting front.

He hasn't gotten much attention from recruiting services despite listing offers from the likes of Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia Tech and Georgia.

But Wylie says he's close to making a decision, and it looks like it could be the Hurricanes.

"I received a Miami offer at the beginning of this month," Wylie said. "This past Sunday I went for an unofficial visit and I loved everything about it."

Wylie certainly has a close connection with Miami: Both his parents attended UM, and his father –- also named Joe Wylie -– played basketball for the Hurricanes in the late 1980's.

"On the (unofficial) visit everything coach [Jeff] Stoutland had been telling me on the phone, it was the same thing he was talking about," Wylie said. "It just seemed like such a family atmosphere, everyone was happy to see me and I was happy to see everyone."

The players weren't around during Wylie's visit, but he says he's going back this weekend to meet them.

A 6-foot-2, 191-pounder, Wylie says the Hurricanes are recruiting him as a safety.

He played free safety, quarterback and receiver last season. He started two games at quarterback and rushed for a pair of touchdowns in those games. On defense he had five interceptions and 40 tackles.

"He's a rangy player, is very fast on the field, has a 40-inch vertical," Boyd Anderson coach Mark James said. "He's a basketball player and a long jumper, is a great athlete. He can do so many things."
 10 years ago '04        #1309
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 19, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

It was hard to get a gauge on just how much progress Miami's receivers made this spring.

That's because most of them weren't participating.

Lance Leggett was enjoying his best spring as a Hurricane when it ended prematurely March 29 with a knee injury. It's expected he will be back at 100 percent in the fall.

Darnell Jenkins left the team after just a couple of practices this spring due to family issues. He's also expected back in the fall.

And George Robinson, who redshirted last year due to injury, did not participate this spring as he was banged up.

Mosely said, because of the missing receivers this spring, that "The progress we've made really isn't going to show until we get to the fall. That's a big thing you have to be patient about as a coach.

Good news is Leggett made some big plays before getting injured. It was the kind of play Cane coaches wanted to see from the speedster.

"He's a difference-maker," offensive coordanator Patrick Nix said. "There's no doubt. When you have a great wide receiver, that changes a ball game. Lance can fly, is big enough to get off press coverage."

Sam Shields, Ryan Hill and Khalil Jones were the only healthy scholarship receivers that participated all spring.

"They all have a long ways to go," receivers coach Marques Mosely said of the healthy receivers. "Sam and Ryan are younger guys, Khalil knows the tempo, the level of what we expect out of our guys. Sam and Ryan just need to pick it up a little more, be consistent in what they're doing."

Jones had some nice catches this spring, including a 41-yard catch that was one of the few offensive highlights in the Spring Game.

He says he's been working hard on developing soft hands.

"Me coming from high school, catching was something I had to work on a lot," Jones said. "I feel like now it's really easy. When coach [Curtis] Johnson was here he told me all catching was was repetition -- the more you catch, the better you get. So I made sure I caught as many balls as I could every day, and I'm still doing it. I just feel like right now I'm ready to put everything together as far as getting prepared for the season."

Asked if it's fair to a.ssume that Jenkins and Leggett will begin the fall with the first group, since they're the most experienced receivers, Mosely said, "Who knows what may happen? These freshmen may come in and have a great summer, pick up our information rapidly and beat Lance and Darnell out. That would be great for us. Who will start against Marshall? We'll find out when we step on the field against Marshall."

The Canes will be helped by the arrival of four true freshman in the fall. Mosely has said all could play immediately.
 04-22-2007, 12:31 PM         #1310
Black_Deuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what happened to the days where we recruited with crazy sucess in other states like texas heavy every year?

I guess the home grown talent is coming to realize the in state teams are where its at
 10 years ago '04        #1311
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,735 | Props total: 3865 3865
 Black_Deuce said:
what happened to the days where we recruited with crazy sucess in other states like texas heavy every year?

I guess the home grown talent is coming to realize the in state teams are where its at
nah we still get our fair share of Texas kids.

we got Chambers and McNeal last year from Texas.

we got offers out to Victor Johnson S from Texas, plays like Meriweather and DE Damien Square of Texas, nephew of former Cane John Square and a CB from Texas
 10 years ago '04        #1312
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM FOOTBALL
Sources: Redd*ck likely to be sidelined
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN AND BARRY JACKSON

Al Diaz / Miami Herald Staff
The Hurricanes' Anthony Redd*ck may be sidelined due an undisclosed knee injury.UM safety Anthony Redd*ck sustained a knee injury late last week, apparently while playing basketball, two people close to the situation confirmed Sunday night.

One person was told it was a tear to the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee, which could sideline him for the 2007 season. The other person was unsure of the severity.

It is believed Redd*ck has not had surgery.

Redd*ck tore the ACL of his right knee during the first game of his sophomore year and sat out the rest of the season.

UM spokesman Mark Pray said late Sunday he could not confirm the information.

Redd*ck, who played at Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas High, will be a junior next season. He has two years of eligibility left, though he could petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility.

Redd*ck had a phenomenal freshman year and strong spring and was competing with Lovon Ponder to start opposite Kenny Phillips.

In 2006, he missed two games with a sprained ankle and was suspended four games for swinging his helmet and smacking a Florida International University player with it Oct. 14. Redd*ck later issued a public apology.

He finished last season with one tackle in six games.
 10 years ago '04        #1313
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Damn Redd*ck, dumb motherfu*ker... hope he gets better ......

April 23, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Ugo Okpara bioVideo highlights

Sugar Land (TX) Ft. Bend Dulles High School CB Ugo Okpara lists a Hurricane offer.

Sort of.

He has a verbal offer from an a.ssistant coach but is waiting on the final word from coach Randy Shannon.

"Miami hasn't seen my highlight tape, but they should be getting it real soon -– Miami offered, but to make their decision the head coach needs to see the highlight tape," Okpara says.

Asked what he'll do if Shannon says he wants Okpara in the class, the 6-foot-1, 170-pounder with 4.48-second speed says, "most likely I'd commit at that point."

He says a commitment could come as soon as this week.

"I'm supposed to be talking with the coaches sometime soon, hopefully within a week, and if things go right and after they get the highlight tape I should be deciding real soon," Okpara says. "My parents, I told them and they know distance isn't a factor and that Miami has everything I'm looking for. There's no point in waiting, so they want me to commit also."

Okpara says Oklahoma State is No. 2 on his list behind Miami.

Why is he in a rush to make a final decision?

"If the school has everything I want there's no point in waiting, I might as well commit," he says.

Okpara has been in regular contact with Cane coaches Wesley McGriff and Tommie Robinson.

"We get along real well," Okpara said. "They says I'm a solid player, that if the ball's in the air I'll go get it, that I'll f!ght for a tackle, f!ght for the ball, that I have great hips."

As a junior Okpara had 61 tackles, a caused fumble and a fumble recovery. He didn't have any interceptions.

"They didn't throw the ball too much to my side," he said.

Okpara currently lists six offers: Miami, Oklahoma State, Rice, Duke, Virginia and Baylor.

He also competes in track for Dulles High. His specialty is the 400, and his personal best time is 49.8 seconds.
 10 years ago '04        #1314
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 23, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Damion Square bioVideo highlights

Houston (TX) Yates High School DE Damion Square was a Texas A&M commitment.

But then he received a verbal offer from the University of Miami, where his uncle John played defensive end from 2001-03.

"When I saw the Miami offer I had to open things up," said Square, a 6-foot-3, 260-pounder with 4.6-second speed.

Asked what kind of chance Miami has to land him in the end, Square says, "A hell of a chance, man. Why do you think everybody, when they get a Miami offer, they're all hollering? They know, man, it's Miami. In my heart I'm orange and green, I love it. That's it, man. Miami, come on, I can't even say enough about it."

Square is in no rush to make a final decision, though.

"Right now I'm just going to enjoy the recruiting process, it's once-in-a-lifetime," he said.

Then he adds, "Just get ready for me, just ready for me, man. Seriously, Miami's my home away from home."

He says Oklahoma, Florida, Texas A&M, Alabama and Arkansas all rate high on his list as well.

For now he says "UM is definitely on top. They're No. 1 on my list. It's in the heart, man.

"It's a fact that Miami's putting people in the first round. That's a fact. It's fact that in 2001 Miami was the best team in college football ever. That's a fact. UM gets you to the next level."

Square grew up watching the Hurricanes and his uncle.

He's nine years younger than older uncle John, but the two lived together for several years in their grandparents home.

"My grandma raised all of us like brothers and sisters," Damion says. "John's my uncle, but he's like my brother because we grew up together."

John still lives in Miami, and Damion says he plans to visit his uncle and check out UM more in-depth this summer.

He attended the summer camp last year and plans to do the same this year.

Square is being recruited by Cane coaches Tommie Robinson and Clint Hurtt.

"Coach Robinson, he's cool," Square said. "We talk about stuff other than recruiting. Me and him chat about everyday life, anything, just how the day went, things like that.

"Coach Hurtt, I like him. I truly believe he wants to get it. You can tell the way he talks. He really wants to win. Some others are just coaching. Coach Hurtt is on you, not letting you breathe, trying to get you better every step of the way –- that's what I remember of him from the camp. He's so enthusiastic."

Square currently lists 20 scholarship offers.

He had 91 tackles and 16 sacks as a junior.
 10 years ago '04        #1315
madness 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$12,940 | Props total: 2610 2610
damn was lookin forward to the three-headed monster at safety with redd*ck, phillips, and ponder
guess one of the incoming freshmen is gonna have to step up
 04-23-2007, 03:28 PM         #1316
YoungGQ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
a redd*ck dumb a.ss...
 04-23-2007, 05:46 PM         #1317
Black_Deuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
thanks for Jon Beason and Greg Olsen, guys :)

Jon is going to the G-men and Greg is going to the Jets ;)
 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM         #1318
Black_Deuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

I didnt think he would fall that far either but they worked him out this past weekend, so I guess they are considering him to be available
 10 years ago '05        #1319
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
 Black_Deuce said:
thanks for Jon Beason and Greg Olsen, guys :)

Jon is going to the G-men and Greg is going to the Jets ;)
I would hate to see Beason in that Giants uniform :banghead: but would love to see Meriweather in our secondary with Dawkins.
 10 years ago '04        #1320
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 23, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

CaneSport has confirmed that Anthony Redd*ck tore the ACL in his left knee playing pickup basketball.

Sources say he underwent surgery this morning.

He will be sidelined for the 2007 season.

The injury is the latest blow to the once-promising career of the safety.

He enjoyed a tremendous freshman season in 2004, notching 73 tackles while starting six games.

But he tore the ACL in his right knee in the season-opener against Florida State. He returned last year but played off the bench behind Kenny Phillips and Brandon Meriweather. He played in five games and had just one tackle. He also was suspended for four games due to his role in the FIU brawl.

This spring he was showing he was back to his former level of play, and he was pushing Lovon Ponder for the starting job opposite Phillips.

Now he will have to rehab yet again.
Home      

most viewed right now
MLB ALCS Yankees vs Astros
751 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nike LeBron 15 "Ghost"
28 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Baddie wit da phatty
54 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside MFA has the Vegas shooting pretty much solved
68 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy let's friend choose his tattoo, that was a mistake
45 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'Lean on Me'/'Juice' Actor Jermaine Hopkins Busted With Nearly 6 Pound..
110 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Hell Rell Get's Knocked Out in NYC Street.
238 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA Skip Baseless already going at the throne.
97 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy