Video inside The right way to heat up PIZZA!! Changed my life
105 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Kim Kardashian Allegedly Wants A Divorce From Kanye West
116 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
67 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #1301
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 Simba said:
USC Trojan here just droppin some respect to the true fans that ain't change their screen name and become Gators. Miami always in the mix and I'm just respectin that even tho last year was kinda rough for y'all. Hope y'all get that Seminole War Canoe next year.
I'ma prop ya everytime the system lets me homie. And nah, we ain't never turning on our team dawg, we could go 0-11 next season (although that'll never happen at Miami) and we still finna be reppin' this sh*t to the fullest you feel me.

Oh and about FSU, don't worry bout dat we finna spank dat a.ss this season, i can't wait for that game. Same goes for Oklahoma, TX A&M, and Florida in 2008.
 10 years ago '04        #1302
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
jacory harris is rail thin, he got a laser arm tho
bring him in to compete with marve next year
harris/marve > wright/freeman
 10 years ago '04        #1303
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
A nice article from ESPN.com

Updated: April 13, 2007, 4:34 PM ET
Entire team introduced to Shannon's brand of discipline
Maisel
By Ivan Maisel
ESPN.com
Archive

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Randy Shannon has spent nearly his entire adult life either playing on or coaching the Miami Hurricanes' defense. He has won a national championship ring as a starting linebacker (1987), a graduate a.ssistant (1991) and a coordinator (2001) of that defense.

Randy Shannon
JC Ridley/WireImage.com
Randy Shannon will be focused on the Miami defense and offense in 2007.

Shannon immersed himself in his defense. His small a.ssistant's office served as the unofficial clubhouse.

"That was the thing," Miami wide receiver Lance Leggett said. "The defense had that relationship. You go to his office, you'd see like 15 people in that room. The offense was split up."

Shannon's ability as a coach and his relationship with his players ranked high among the reasons that Miami, having fired head coach Larry Coker, promoted an a.ssistant off of Coker's staff (try to recall the last time any school did that).

But the truth is, Shannon had that relationship with just half the team -- his defense.

Shannon's "move" to his new job didn't include a call to Mayflower. But for half of the team, Shannon has been doing what most new head coaches are forced to do: hiring a.ssistants, learning his players' skills on the field and their personalities off of it.

Meet the new coach. Same as the old coach, sort of.

"I'm the same guy," Shannon said. "I'm not going to change. The only thing I'm doing, I'm embracing the whole team instead of just the defense. The defensive players know what the expectations are. They know how I am as a coach. The offensive guys have got to learn that."

Q&A with Randy Shannon
Want to read more on Shannon? ESPN The Magazine's Bruce Feldman had a chance to sit down for a Q&A. Story Insider

Shannon introduced the entire team to his brand of discipline: If a player fails to maintain a 2.5 grade-point average, he must live on campus. If Shannon's phone rings after midnight about any player, that player doesn't play the next game. Hats may not be worn inside the football building or at team meals.

It comes down to this: Do what you're supposed to do.

"Sean Taylor came late one day to meeting," Shannon said of his 2003 All-American safety. "Everybody on defense knew this: If you come late to meetings, you just got demoted. No questions asked. If you miss meetings, late, whatever: If you're first team, you go to second; second team, to third; third team, you probably won't travel. They knew that.

"I came to practice. Sean came out, put the guy behind him in front of him and Sean went back to second team. Never said a word. He knew what was expected because he wasn't better than nobody on the team. He was just like everybody else.

"We played the game that week. He was ranting and raving, high-fiving the guys, yelling, 'Keep going! Keep going!' and then we played Sean in the second quarter. That's when you know you can create a good atmosphere, when you got guys, when they do wrong, accept it, move on and get the other guy to do better than what he's doing."

The offensive players learned Shannon's laws without incident.

Kyle Wright
Doug Benc/Getty Images
All eyes will be focused on Kyle Wright and the Miami offense in 2007.

"At first everybody was kind of shocked," tight end Chris Zellner said. "But coach Shannon has that presence about him. You don't want to test it, so everybody's gon' do what they have to do."

"They learned real fast," defensive end Calais Campbell said of his offensive teammates. "Coach Shannon is real tough on you. You make a mistake, he'll rip you for it. If you do good, he'll praise you for it. They learn real fast you don't want to get in the doghouse."

Leggett noticed the difference in team meetings.

"Last year, you'd still see people laying back in their chairs," he said. "Now, it's more like you're in the Army. Coach Shannon never said anything about it. Everybody just gives him respect."

The other half of being in charge of the offense is figuring out what kind of offense to run. All Shannon knew is that he wanted it better than last year. Miami finished 87th in both total (313.46 yards per game) and scoring offense (19.62). The latter figure finished last among teams with winning records.

Most new prospective head coaches say that they walk into their job interviews with a list of the a.ssistants who will come with them. Shannon had no preconceived notions. He never had spoken to Patrick Nix, the offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech under Chan Gailey, until calling him to gauge his interest in coming to Miami.

Shannon admired Nix's moves in their annual chess game. The Yellow Jackets had beaten the Hurricanes the last two seasons, and Shannon noticed how Nix seemed to get his strongest players lined up against Shannon's weakest. He also liked how, after Georgia Tech starting quarterback Reggie Ball became academically ineligible for the 2007 Gator Bowl, Nix prepared backup Taylor Bennett well enough that the Yellow Jackets scored 35 points against West Virginia.

"That's kind of hard to do," Shannon said.

Nix said that the offense had scored as many as four touchdowns a scrimmage against the Miami defense during the spring. However, in the spring game April 7, quarterbacks Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman combined to lead their units to a total of seven points. Nix said one of his primary goals has been to rebuild the mental toughness for which Miami has been known.

"They do seem a little fragile at times," Nix said of his offense. "It's been a really good spring. … It's going to be a process. It's going to be a long process of building that confidence and having that attitude. I do think we're heading in that direction. That's encouraging. We've got to keep pounding that into them and they'll believe it. They are good. We've got some very good talent. We have some depth issues. We have talent. If these guys just believe in themselves, we can do some good things."

Calais Campbell
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Calais Campbell picked up 10½ sacks for the Canes last season.

Those are the skills that Shannon has employed throughout his career. Most new head coaches bemoan the lack of coaching they do in their new job. Shannon insists that he can swallow the new job before it swallows him.

He is not swayed by the trappings of being a head coach. He barely has occupied his new, larger office. There are plenty of Miami trophies strewn about -- bowls, national championships, player awards -- but virtually no personal touches.

There is, however, room for more players to hang out. They still come by. Some might make only a quick stop at the never-empty candy dish on the desk of Myrna Schneider, Shannon's administrative a.ssistant. Others wander in to talk or watch video.

And yes, some of them even from the offense.

Campbell, who emerged last season to make 10.5 sacks and another 10 tackles for loss, said he has seen a difference in the offense.

"I feel like they have to compete more with each other for positions," he said. "They're playing a lot harder. You always play hard but I feel like you look at film and they've brought it up another notch."

The Miami offense will need another couple of notches to catch up to its defense. Shannon's ability to make the leap from outstanding coordinator to outstanding head coach will depend on it.

Ivan Maisel is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Ivan at .
 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM         #1304
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Florida stil got some catching up to do in the NC department
 10 years ago '05        #1305
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,917 | Props total: 3 3
 Black_Deuce said:
thanks Ra and Cap Peeler... yall steppin ya games up I see

Rakim should be a fu*king MOD by now, but instead we get Ohio State Suckeyes fan AKA DJ Max...
...........I would comment but Penn State barely being over .500 in Big 10 play since 2000 says enough.:D

Back to Miami though. I'm surprised. There doesn't seem to be that usual one or two recruits (big time) that have both Miami and Ohio State high on their list this early in the game.

Anyway, best of luck with the recruiting class this year. Ohio State is off to a GREAT start.
 10 years ago '06        #1306
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,667 | Props total: 12179 12179
 Y2Luda said:
...........I would comment but Penn State barely being over .500 in Big 10 play since 2000 says enough.:D

Back to Miami though. I'm surprised. There doesn't seem to be that usual one or two recruits (big time) that have both Miami and Ohio State high on their list this early in the game.

Anyway, best of luck with the recruiting class this year. Ohio State is off to a GREAT start.
keep your slimey recruiters out of florida :finger: :finger: :finger:

you havent had much luck down here anyways :rasta:
 10 years ago '05        #1307
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
 P. Dedos said:
keep your slimey recruiters out of florida :finger: :finger: :finger:

you havent had much luck down here anyways :rasta:
Last year:

#12 CB James Scott (offers from Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, etc)
#6 WLB Brian Rolle (offers from Florida, LSU, Nebraska, etc)

....we do "okay" down there for a nothern school with great instate talent of it's own. :)
 10 years ago '04        #1308
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Y2Luda said:
Last year:

....we do "okay" down there for a nothern school with great instate talent of it's own. :)
tressel does a good job of recruiting down south
getting florida talent will be tougher in the years to come, tho
 10 years ago '04        #1309
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$38,698 | Props total: 1434 1434
Is it weird that I dislike every team from the State of Florida except for the U?
 10 years ago '04        #1310
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 str8_akademiks said:
Is it weird that I dislike every team from the State of Florida except for the U?
extra strange
you need to go see a shrink, pronto:sleepy:
 10 years ago '04        #1311
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 madness said:
extra strange
you need to go see a shrink, pronto:sleepy:
I majored in psychology... Does that count?
 10 years ago '04        #1312
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 str8_akademiks said:
I majored in psychology... Does that count?
eh, u get a pass
now i just gotta convert u into a heat fan:D
 10 years ago '04        #1313
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 madness said:
eh, u get a pass
now i just gotta convert u into a heat fan:D
Wont happen...... I been a hater of the Heat for many years.. its not a recent thing..
I think it might stem from my dislike for Pat Riley...
 04-16-2007, 09:37 PM         #1314
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Y2Luda said:

yea so... its been tough as of lately but thats because our starting passer looks and acts (plays) like he is 12 years old
 10 years ago '04        #1315
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
 str8_akademiks said:
That's good. I'm from the State of Florida and i dislike every team with the exception of Miami. I think Rakim and CRIP feel the same too

Back to the conversation about OSU getting FLorida recruits, well OSU has always done okay down here, since Tressel took over. I remember back in 02, the national championship team had like 4 starters from Florida.
 04-16-2007, 09:44 PM         #1316
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Florida Recruits>>>Ohio Recruits

comment that
 10 years ago '05        #1317
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
 madness said:
tressel does a good job of recruiting down south
getting florida talent will be tougher in the years to come, tho
We'll see. Ohio State is going to get the top Olineman out of Florida this year as well......

Black_Deuce said:

yea so... its been tough as of lately but thats because our starting passer looks and acts (plays) like he is 12 years old
It's more than that.

Black_Deuce said:
Florida Recruits>>>Ohio Recruits

comment that
That's true. But not entirely accurate.........

Florida Recruits (w/ Miami, FSU, and UF all f!ghting for them) <<<<< Ohio State (with no in state competition)

Last edited by Y2Luda; 04-17-2007 at 05:55 AM..
 10 years ago '06        #1318
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,667 | Props total: 12179 12179
 Y2Luda said:
thats really all you've gotten down here in the last 5 years and that players was from jacksonville, so you really robbed him from florida

im not saying your not a force down here but it is what it is

good luck with shaw, im happy with the O line we have/projected to get

Last edited by DEDOS; 04-17-2007 at 07:29 AM..
 10 years ago '04        #1319
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 17, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Hurricane coaches weren't happy to see the team's two top running back performers this spring go down due to injury.

[pic - click to view]

True freshman Graig Cooper missed the final week of the spring with a broken pinkie, and Javarris James injured his ankle and knee in the spring game. UM has not provided an update on James's injury status, although James said after the game that it was not serious.

The good news from the spring was the emergence of Cooper, who showed in 10 practices that he could be a major breakaway threat.

Showing a burst that players said is reminiscent of Devin Hester, Cooper was arguably the biggest spring standout. He continually broke off long runs and showed excellent vision and moves.

Perhaps his best run: In one practice early-on Cooper took a pitch in 11-on-11 drills, was bottled up and then reversed field. He broke free and outran the entire defense untouched for a 60-yard touchdown.

He showed enough that the offense began showing formations with Cooper and James lined up together in the backfield.

Who might get more carries down the road?

"We'll let that take care of itself, kind of sort itself out," first-year running backs coach Tommie Robinson said. "We'll try to do the best job we can to utilize our talent. We'll get them on the field and get them carries, get them touches. That stuff normally works itself out. Coach Nix and I, the offensive staff, will get together and come up with a plan that will be conducive to win and it'll be what's best for those kids."

With Cooper on board it appears Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas and Kylan Robinson will have a tough time getting sizable carries in the fall, although coaches praised Jones as stepping up in the 14 practices.

Robinson, who has coached Tatum Bell, Emmitt Smith and Ladainian Tomlinson, says he likes what he's seen from all of UM's backs.

"We have some guys here with NFL potential," he said. "They all have different things. Charlie Jones is savvy, is a savvy back like an Emmitt Smith. Graig Cooper is explosive. We had Tatum Bell at Oklahoma State and he was explosive like Cooper. Javarris James, he's kind of an in between a Charlie Jones and a Graig Cooper. He can do a little bit of everything, isn't quite as fast or explosive as Cooper, has a lot of savvy about him. He's a good back, a workhorse like Tomlinson -- not talentwise, but he works like LT when we had LT in school. You find some similarities to guys you've coached in the past somewhere when you've been coaching as long as I've been coaching."

Thomas and Robinson are currently buried on the depth chart.

"Kylan is still learning," Tommie Robinson said. "He's to the point right now where he's still learning, him being a younger kid. The difference between him and Cooper is Cooper went to that prep school [Milford Prep in New York] and he played. Kylan didn't. Cooper's got a little experience under his belt. Kylan, he's coming along, has a lot of talent. They did a great job recruiting that kid. If he keeps coming, he'll be fine. He may be a future guy. I really like him."

At fullback a disappointment was James Bryant, who missed several practices due to academic issues.

But Jerrell Mabry stepped up his play -- he had a nice 35-yard catch and run for a touchdown in UM's first spring scrimmage -- and H-backs Dedrick Epps and Chris Zellner are also serviceable at the position.

"Our fullbacks have to be multiple players -- blockers, pass catchers, be able to run the ball here and there, but not a lot," Robinson said. "They have to be very versatile and very physical. I'm not disappointed with what we have. We'll use our tight ends sometimes at fullback, so we have a lot of bodies to work with. But Jerrell Mabry is doing a really good job for us, a really good job."

The tailback position will also benefit in the summer with the arrivals of freshmen Shawnbrey McNeal and Lee Chambers.
 10 years ago '04        #1320
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 17, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Greg Shaw bio

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

[pic - click to view]

Miami (FL) Monsignor Pace High School OT Greg Shaw says he received a Miami offer a week-and-a-half ago.

"I was surprised it came," he said.

The reason he was surprised?

He says last year coaches Art Kehoe and Mario Cristobal were recruiting him hard.

But he says he hasn't spoken to any coaches on the current staff.

"I'm trying to meet coach [Randy] Shannon," Shaw said. "I don't know when we'll meet. Maybe at the (summer) camp."

Shaw says he's interested in Miami, and he now lists 18 scholarship offers including Florida, FSU and Louisville, where brother Willie Williams plays.

Shaw and Williams, a former Cane signee, speak regularly.

"He says don't get big-headed," Shaw said. "He says Miami has a great conditioning program and that Louisville is a nice environment, that all the facilities are real close."

If Shaw has any questions about the UM program, he won't have to look far to get answers. His line coach at Pace is former Miami offensive lineman Joel Rodriguez.

"Greg is very, very good," says Rodriguez, who is a former Pace graduate. "He's probably going to end up the best lineman ever to come out of Pace. He's so big and he's very athletic and he's going to pretty much as good as he wants to be. He has things naturally you can't teach. You can't teach a guy to be 6-5, have arms down to his knees. He takes coaching very well. The thing he's lacking in is he's not the greatest technician in the world because he's only been on the line a year or two. We'll work on that this spring."

Shaw is being recruited for offense by every school except one -– "Tennessee wants me on the defensive line," he says. Last year Shaw had 12 tackles and four sacks playing sparingly on defense.

Shaw says he expects to make a decision late in the recruiting process.

"It's going to be hard," Shaw said. "It's the next four years you have to worry about."
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX who the fu-k is this!!!!?
63 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
208 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
66 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
88 comments
1 day ago