Image(s) inside There's no need for us to rush it through, ohhh
7 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
She's making it clap, just for Boxden
61 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Not even a fan of Rihanna but....
58 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the ho..
271 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #1161
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Spotting Talent
It was the MOST unbelievable display of athleticism I had ever seen during one-on-one position drills, and the fact that Patrick Johnson's just a junior at Ely makes last weekend's display of athleticism at the Nike camp even more spectacular.

It was a receiver verses defensive back drill and Johnson's challenge was to prevent his man from catching the ball. In his first attempt not only did he destroyed the receiver he was up against, but he hawked down a 30-yard pass for an interception.

His second attempt at the drill he came away with the same result, another dynamic pick. After that he took a break because he hurt his ankle, but when he returned to the drill 10 minutes later, after getting his ankle re-taped, he did it again.

Three reps as a defensive back, three interceptions. And I'm not talking about easy picks. I'm talking about he shut down his man, found the ball in the air, turned on that 4.4 speed and hunted it down to get the pick.

But Johnson wasn't done yet. For fun he ran a few routes as a receiver, shed his defender and caught two long touchdown passes, proving he not only has excellent speed but great hands.

Johnson already has a big enough name in the state. Florida, Florida State and Miami are already hot and heavy in the hunt, as they should be. He's considered Broward's top returning player and will likely be ranked amongst the state, if not the nation's, top prospects, so he didn't have to participate in the Nike camp. But his dad said his competitive spirit made him want to be there. He pushed to be there because he's been hunting down Northwestern receiver Aldarious Johnson, trying to go one-on-one against him, but can't find the state's top receiver.

Aldarious Johnson was a no-show at the Nike camp because his coach, Roland Smith, couldn't find him on Sunday morning (he has no home phone), but three of his Northwestern teammates were there.

Quarterback Jacory Harris did well, winning the QB MVP award. Harris admits he's got two favorites: Miami and LSU, but Alabama and UCF are also in the hunt. He said he'd long been waiting on a UM offer and finally received one a couple of weeks ago. But he admitted right now Miami's trailing LSU because he's uncertain about the Hurricanes offense, and unsure about whether it fits his skills.

"I want to see them pass the ball A LOT more," said the quarterback, who went to the Traz Powell scrimmage and admits he wasn't impressed. He plans to watch a few practices this week while he's on spring break and I'm sure UM will show him the real offense.

By the way, Harris showed up to the Miami Elite 11 tryouts on UM's campus Friday too early and missed the workout. He showed up around 10 a.m. and stayed till 1 p.m. but no one told him the tryout was at 2 p.m. His dad said he's planning to take him to the elite 11 tryouts at FSU's campus in the coming weeks.

Harris, who is turning 17 this year, is a bean pole right now (6-foot-4, 175 pounds) but he'll eventually fill out. He only looks so thin because he's so tall. He told me he's eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches right before he goes to bed every night and is constantly taking weight gainer.

His father, a graduate of Northwestern himself, played linebacker at Iowa State and coaches Northwestern's linebackers.

Speaking of Northwestern, the Bulls are trying to raise $20,000 before the end of the school year to pay for their state championship rings. The funny thing is the school board won't allow them to hold fund-raisers. However, they can accept donations and are soliciting them. They have even been doing volunteer work (painting the underbelly of an overpass) to earn the donated money.

Considering Northwestern's a school in one of the most economically challenged areas of the state I think it's a worthy cause and a good investment. For those who have a little lunch money or more to donate to these kids who worked hard for rings they can't afford give athletic director Gregory k!llings a call at 305-836-0991, extension 2217 and he'll tell you how you can help. Checks can be written to Herff Jones Company and mailed to k!llings at the school.

Carol City safety Robert Sands was another one of the top athletes at the Nike camp. Sands was a giant compared to the receivers he was going up against. He's big (6-foot-5, 200ish) and will probably grow into a linebacker, but has a great deal of athleticism to him. He was the state champion in the triple jump last year and is looking to defend his title this spring, and also plans to win the state's long jump title in the coming weeks.

"Right now it's a race between UM and Florida," said Sands, who broad-jumps 10-foot-8 inches.

By the way Sands thinks he's related to former UM player Ethnic Sands, who is also a Chief, but they can't find a connection through blood yet. However, their families are both from the same part of the Bahamas and those who are from the islands like myself know how that works. It takes time to discover the connection, but he does talk to Ethnic a couple of times a year.

Considering Miami's recent kicking issues, Homestead coach Bobby McCray wants the world to know his kicker, Julio Moraga, who participated in the U.S. Army All-American last fall, is still available. Everyone who was offering him a scholarship backed away at the last minute. Florida, UCF and FIU are all trying to get him to walk-on in the fall with promises of a future ship, but Moraga's trying to hold out for a scholarship now.

Seeing as how Matt Bosher and Daren Daly aren't exactly lighting the world on fire, and Randy Shannon said his one regret of his first signing class is that he didn't sign a kicker, I'd say this kid should be looked into. I'm sure UM linebackers coach Micheal Barrow, Homestead's former defensive coordinator, can, or already has provided some inside information on Moraga. Miami has scholarships to give (about three), but I suspect Mississippi receiver Ronnie Tubbs is at the very top of the list for a late offer once he gets his grades in order.

As for Homestead's top standout, expect DE/LB Marcus Robinson to be a beast, and a big-time battle between Florida, UM and USC. McCray said Robinson, who I believe was named the MVP of the Nike camp, has got the "best first step of any player he's ever coached," and that includes his own son, former Florida defensive end Bobby McCray, who presently plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Robinson was indeed impressive, and his showing Sunday makes it seem to me that the linebacker crop of talent in South Florida will be outstanding this year. Coral Reef's Etienne Sabino also did well at the Nike camp and he's already been spotted at UM talking to Barrows.

I'm interested to see how many local prospects visit UM's practices this week. I'm sure there will be a couple and I'll try to keep track.

Deuces.
 11 years ago '04        #1162
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,840 | Props total: 4115 4115
my uncle gets out of prison today so ill probably be a little late with the updates..
 11 years ago '04        #1163
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Cane Commit Washington Full of Confidence

[pic - click to view]

Hurricane commitment Brandon Washington attended Sunday's Miami Nike Camp.

And he was thrilled to be working out on the same field the Hurricanes use for practices.

"It's excitement, just like `Wow!'" Washington said. "I'm on the practice field, it's exciting, something you live for.

"I did pretty well. I came out and did everything I wanted."

Washington wanted to get a closer look at his future school, so he walked around the Hecht Athletic Center before the camp.

"I went in the weight room, the training room, the rehab room, saw upstairs where all the plaques are," he said.

What did he think of the plaques honoring past Cane greats?

"That was pretty neat," he said. "Pretty soon I'll get myself up there."

Washington is full of confidence.

And he hopes to surround himself with great players at Miami.

Asked if he thinks the Miami Nike Camp helped other top Florida recruits see the plusses of UM, Washinton said, "I hope so. They could be my teammates. Maybe now that they saw me play, they'll say, `Wow, I want to play with him.'"
 11 years ago '04        #1164
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Area WR Pulls in Early Cane Offer

[pic - click to view]

WR Davon Johnson lists a Miami scholarship offer.

"They offered me last year," Johnson said. "Miami's in my top three schools right now with Florida and Central Florida."

Of what Johnson knows about UM's program, he says, "They have a good program and I love the tradition."

What's important to him in a college?

"The depth chart -– I want to play early," he said. "And the academic situation."

Johnson attended the recent Miami Nike Camp.

How did it help him?

"It was some of the best kids from the State of Florida all showing their talent," he said. "I did well, got MVP of the wide receivers."

Johnson had over 700 yards receiving as a junior.

He says he has no timetable for making a final decision.

Along with Miami he lists five other early offers.
 11 years ago '04        #1165
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Local LB pulled in Cane Offer Yesterday

Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna High School LB Jordan Futch already lists over 20 scholarship offers.

On the list are schools like Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin and Alabama.

And Futch now also lists a Cane offer.

He spoke with Cane coach Michael Barrow yesterday and received a verbal offer.

"I was real excited," Futch said. "He was pretty straightforward, told me that they watched my film and Randy Shannon watched it, that everyone loved me, that I'd fit great in the program and that I could come out there and try for a spot."

Futch says the Canes are now at the top of his list.

"Miami fits in at No. 1 right now," he said. "Miami's a great school, great program. They've produced so many great athletes in the NFL, it's just great coaches. Coach Shannon is going to turn the thing around."

Futch says other program he favors are Auburn, West Virginia, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Wisconsin.

"I'll decide sooner rather than later, probably sometime this summer after I take my visits," he said. "It'll probably be during the season. I just want to do what's best for me. "I'm just looking for a great program."

Futch attends the same school that current Cane linebacker Glenn Cook attended.

"I've talked to Glenn," said Futch, a 6-foot-3, 205-pounder with 4.56-second speed. "He told me that they're looking at me, are trying to decide if they want me at safety or linebacker."

As a junior Futch had 92 tackles, 15 for losses, with 10 sacks, six forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and two punt blocks.

Film:
 11 years ago '04        #1166
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Rivals 250 QB pulls in Cane Offer

[pic - click to view]

Recruiting is really starting to pick up for Virginia Beach (Va.) Bayside quarterback E.J. Manuel. The 6-foot-6, 203-pounder claims approximately a dozen offers. In just the past few days, Manuel added four scholarships including two from national powers.

Manuel picked up offers from LSU and Miami this week.
"I've got 12 or 13 scholarships from Virginia Tech, Virginia, Maryland, Florida International, Marshall, Duke, Oregon and North Carolina," he said. "The most recent ones came this week from Eastern Michigan, East Carolina, LSU and Miami.

"The LSU and Miami ones are big. My dad and I are going to LSU on April 10th through the 12th. We're going to hang around there for a couple days and then I'm going to try to go to Miami in May. Both of those are good schools that everyone wants to play at and they provide me a good quarterback situation. Plus they are traditional schools that win and it does make them stick out a bit more."

Manuel discussed the two big offers a little more in-depth.

"I talked to the Miami coaches recently," he said. "I called coach Shannon and Nix on Saturday and they are really cool guys. Coach Shannon was a great guy to talk to and he didn't put any pressure on me. He told me he was going to be very upfront and said if they offer another quarterback, I'll be the first person to know. It seems like they are going to bring back the dynasty and winning attitude at Miami.

"As for LSU, I haven't talked to their coaches too much. I did get a chance to talk to Les Miles and that was cool too. He came on the phone and was the one that offered me. He's a very nice person and intelligent. I can tell he knows a lot about football."

In just over a week, the Hampton Roads prospect plans to make a trip down to Baton Rouge. What's he hoping to see there?

"I haven't been before, but I just want to go and relax and check out the school, coaches and players," he said. "I want to see how an average school day is for them there and get a feel for the program so that I can make more evaluations."

Following the trip to Louisiana, Manuel plans to make more visits later this spring.

"I'm going to Maryland for their spring practice on either the 14th or 28th," he said. "I'm also looking at going to Duke, Virginia and probably Virginia Tech. All three of those schools told me to call whenever I want to come up."

Meanwhile, the Rivals250 quarterback wants to begin narrowing his decision soon.

"I'll probably start narrowing things down in May or June," he said. "I want to have a decision by June or July so I can be a lead recruiter for other guys to the school I pick. Most likely I'll have a top five in May. I'm doing this so I can get ready for my senior season at Bayside."

Besides cutting his list, Manuel plans to attend the Elite College Combine, Nike Camp at Penn State and Elite 11 at Penn State in May.
 11 years ago '04        #1167
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
 C.R.I.P. said:
Rivals 250 QB pulls in Cane Offer

[pic - click to view]

Recruiting is really starting to pick up for Virginia Beach (Va.) Bayside quarterback E.J. Manuel. The 6-foot-6, 203-pounder claims approximately a dozen offers. In just the past few days, Manuel added four scholarships including two from national powers.

Manuel picked up offers from LSU and Miami this week.
"I've got 12 or 13 scholarships from Virginia Tech, Virginia, Maryland, Florida International, Marshall, Duke, Oregon and North Carolina," he said. "The most recent ones came this week from Eastern Michigan, East Carolina, LSU and Miami.

"The LSU and Miami ones are big. My dad and I are going to LSU on April 10th through the 12th. We're going to hang around there for a couple days and then I'm going to try to go to Miami in May. Both of those are good schools that everyone wants to play at and they provide me a good quarterback situation. Plus they are traditional schools that win and it does make them stick out a bit more."

Manuel discussed the two big offers a little more in-depth.

"I talked to the Miami coaches recently," he said. "I called coach Shannon and Nix on Saturday and they are really cool guys. Coach Shannon was a great guy to talk to and he didn't put any pressure on me. He told me he was going to be very upfront and said if they offer another quarterback, I'll be the first person to know. It seems like they are going to bring back the dynasty and winning attitude at Miami.

"As for LSU, I haven't talked to their coaches too much. I did get a chance to talk to Les Miles and that was cool too. He came on the phone and was the one that offered me. He's a very nice person and intelligent. I can tell he knows a lot about football."

In just over a week, the Hampton Roads prospect plans to make a trip down to Baton Rouge. What's he hoping to see there?

"I haven't been before, but I just want to go and relax and check out the school, coaches and players," he said. "I want to see how an average school day is for them there and get a feel for the program so that I can make more evaluations."

Following the trip to Louisiana, Manuel plans to make more visits later this spring.

"I'm going to Maryland for their spring practice on either the 14th or 28th," he said. "I'm also looking at going to Duke, Virginia and probably Virginia Tech. All three of those schools told me to call whenever I want to come up."

Meanwhile, the Rivals250 quarterback wants to begin narrowing his decision soon.

"I'll probably start narrowing things down in May or June," he said. "I want to have a decision by June or July so I can be a lead recruiter for other guys to the school I pick. Most likely I'll have a top five in May. I'm doing this so I can get ready for my senior season at Bayside."

Besides cutting his list, Manuel plans to attend the Elite College Combine, Nike Camp at Penn State and Elite 11 at Penn State in May.
damn this kid looks like he's the truth... 6'6 :wow:
 11 years ago '04        #1168
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM changes format of scrimmage

By Omar Kelly
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted April 4 2007, 7:21 AM EDT

CORAL GABLES – Hurricane head coach Randy Shannon said one of his most difficult challenges as a first-year head coach has been figuring out which side of the ball -- offense or defense -- to pull for during practice.

To alleviate that problem for himself and UM's fan base, Shannon's going to split up the Hurricanes roster evenly for Saturday's 10 a.m. scrimmage at the Orange Bowl, ditching the old offense-vs-defense format that has been used by UM for over a decade, but didn't foster team unity, according to Shannon.

LocalLinks

"I'm drafting both sides to make sure everything is equal," Shannon said. "These guys are competing a lot in practice, and if you keep going offense-defense, sometimes you have a little deal where `This is my team.' Now we're on the orange team,' or 'We're on the white team,' and [everybody is] competitive that way."

Both scholarship quarterbacks – incumbent starter Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman – will be on separate teams, as will both scholarship kickers, Matt Bosher and Daren Daly, who will each handle the kicking and punting for their team.

Complicated an even distribution is UM's limited depth at receiver and offensive line, since both units have been thinned out by injuries. Sam Shields, Ryan Hill and Khalil Jones are the Hurricanes only healthy scholarship receivers, and center will be a problematic position because A.J. Trump is rehabbing an ACL tear, and the projected starter, Derrick Morse, is working his way back from a knee injury he suffered the first week of spring practice.

Shannon's unsure whether Morse will participate in Saturday's scrimmage, which could leave sophomore Matt Pipho as the only true center. Pipho has only been snapping for the past three weeks and Shannon said one of the team's priorities this week in practice is to improve his shotgun snaps, which were a bit erratic in Friday's open practice.

INJURY NEWS

Freshman tailback Graig Cooper will sit out the final week of practice and Saturday's scrimmage because of a left hand injury he suffered in Friday's mini-scrimmage. All but two of Cooper's fingers on his left hand are in a cast....

Defensive tackle Joe Joseph has the left ankle he hurt in Friday's min-scrimmage wrapped in a cast and won't practice again this spring.
 11 years ago '05        #1169
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
i was in florida(orlando) for the first time in a while for spring break. im mad i couldnt make it to miami tho. i plan on going there this summer to check it out when i get my license.
 11 years ago '04        #1170
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Coach Shannon Tuesday Q&A

RANDY SHANNON Q&A

Q: What are you looking forward to in the Spring Game this Saturday?

Shannon: Just guys competing. We're still building. We're going to mix it up a little bit.

Q: Are both scholarship quarterbacks going to play in the scrimmage?

Shannon: Both will play, and the walkons will play also.

Q: Is there anything you look forward to in particular with the scrimmage?

Shannon: What you're looking for is you want improvement from one week to the next week. The thing that we have to work on is the snap from the shotgun. The first week it was a lot, the next week it was one or two (fumbles), but we have to get to the point that we have no fumbled snaps. Basic things, that's what we have to keep improving on.

Q: It seems like it'll be more fun with two teams competing in the Spring Game.

Shannon: These guys are competing a lot in practice, and if you keep going offense-defense, sometimes you have to have a little deal where `This is my team. We're on the orange team,' or `We're on the white team' and get competitive that way.

Q: What about the kicking game?

Shannon: We probably won't do the punts and kickoff stuff, but we'll get a field goal. If you have a chance to kick a field goal from 35, 40 yards, we'll go for it.
 11 years ago '04        #1171
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Injuries Taking Toll on Canes

With numerous projected starters missing all or most of the spring, including Jason Fox, Derrick Morse (who has a small chance of coming back for Saturday's Spring Game), Darryl Sharpton, Glenn Sharpe and Darnell Jenkins (due to family issues), the Canes haven't been helped by more injuries in the last week.

First receiver Lance Leggett went down with a knee injury -– he's expected back in the fall. And now DT Joe Joseph and TB Graig Cooper are out of action and are not expected to participate in the Spring Game on Saturday.

Cooper has a left hand injury and is in a cast, and Joe Joseph has his left ankle casted.

The loss of Cooper will deprive Cane fans of the chance to see a player that has sparkled much of the spring. The true freshman's speed and athleticism have drawn rave reviews from coaches and players.

Coach Randy Shannon, asked the chances Cooper can play on Saturday, said, "Probably not. I don't know the deal with his hand."
 11 years ago '04        #1172
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Tuesday's News and Notes

[pic - click to view]

Forget the ones vs. ones and twos vs. twos of past Spring Games.

New coach Randy Shannon has a new system he'll use to entertain fans and evaluate his players this Saturday at the Orange Bowl.

He is splitting the team in half, with offensive and defensive players on each team. One team will wear white, the other will wear orange.

One team will lose, one will win.

One team will have Kirby Freeman, one will have Kyle Wright -- yes, Shannon said both will play in this scrimmage, as opposed to the last one when Freeman was held out.

It should make for a more exciting scrimmage at the Orange Bowl.

"It'll be more like a game," Shannon said. "It's going to be an Orange vs. White scrimmage and we'll see who can respond in a scrimmage situation."

The Orange and White teams will be split evenly between starters and backups.

Evenly, at least, according to Shannon.

He'll be "drafting" both teams himself.

"Both teams are equal," Shannon said. "Change is good. If you keep going offense vs. defense, sometimes you need the players to have their own teams and it'll be more competitive.

"Fans can watch and pick a side -- either Orange or White, instead of defense vs. offense. It'll be fun."

* In today's final 11-on-11 work, which ended with a two-minute drill, H-back Chris Zellner made a big catch to put the offense in field goal position. And Matt Bosher hammered home the "winning" kick.

"The offense needed a field goal and they got it," DB Willie Cooper said. "So they won the game."

TE DajLeon Farr added, "Zellner had a great catch. The defense put a lot of new blitzes in, but the O-line picked them up every time. It was a pretty good practice for us."

Of how the offense is coming together, Farr said, "This is the same thing we had to go through last spring with learning a new offense, but I feel we're farther along than we were last spring."

* RB Javarris James says he feels he still has a lot of work to do.

"I've been getting the offense down pat, but I feel there's a lot of things I have to work on as far as pass blocking, awareness of where I am on the field, and have that niche where if it's fourth-and-one, I have to go get it," he said. "Just my overall game, your game is never perfect. There's always going to be something to work on."

James said of potentially teaming up with Graig Cooper in the same backfield during the season that "Oh, man, we can be very dangerous. It's dangerous with me and him back there. It's dangerous.

"I feel everyone in our backfield can get the job done. Hopefully when the Spring Game comes up everyone can show their skills."

* LB Colin McCarthy said of his progress this spring that "I'm working day by day and hopefully come Marshall I'll get the opportunity.

"Whenever I'm in there I just try to make plays. That's all. I'm having a good spring. I'm happy with it."

McCarthy already has a handful of interceptions this spring.

* Linebackers coach and former UM and NFL star Michael Barrow has turned one thing from his playing days into a coaching tool.

"I told the [linebackers that] as a player I had this motto `COBTB,'" Barrow said. "I got it from Alonzo Highsmith. It means `Committed on being the best.' I say `As a coach I'm COHYBTB –- Committed on helping you be the best.'

"All I want guys to do is come in, be hard workers and just be committed on being the best. That's all I can ask for. If they have that attitude, then good things are going to happen."
 11 years ago '04        #1173
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Coach Shannon's Wednsday Q&A

Q: How was practice today?

Shannon: It was okay, another day of spring football -- just trying to get better working on a couple of situations coming off the goal line and sudden change situations.

Q: Has the spring gone faster than you imagined?

Shannon: Oh, it's always going fast because you only get 15 days. You always want 25 as coaches, but that's part of it.

Q: When do you begin splitting up the Orange and White teams in practice? Do they work with each other before the Spring Game?

Shannon: Not at all. You have to treat it like if someone gets hurt, you have to work with the next guy.

Q: Eddie Robinson passed away. Did you ever meet him?

Shannon: I never met Eddie. As a kid they came down here to play in the Orange Bowl. It was $2 a ticket back then, you catch the 15 bus to the Orange Bowl.

Q: He opened up doors for minority coaches.

Shannon: He opened up a lot of doors for minority coaches. A lot of coaches respected him for what he did. It's always tragic when you lose somebody who's been part of football that long and been an ambassador to college football. It's kind of tough. It's a sad day.

Q: What's the most valuable thing you've taken as a coach from this first spring?

Shannon: Never underestimate anything that you do. Always stay on top of small things.

Q: What about for the team?

Shannon: The same thing. Just keep working on the small things and be accountable.

Q: What's going on in the kicking game?

Shannon: They get a little better every week. That's all you know. You have to find the right guy who can kick and the right guy who can punt.

Q: So you haven't found that yet?

Shannon: Don't know yet.

Q: Might you use a late scholarship on another kicker?

Shannon: We have scholarships open. If we can find a good kicker we will.

Q: Do you have anyone in mind right now?

Shannon: Not that I know of. Not right now.

Q: How are players responding to the fact that you're not announcing lineups until sometime in the fall?

Shannon: I think they're responding to it because they see we've put guys in situations where if you're not producing we're going to put you on second team. Teraz McCray last week went second team all week because he had two personal fouls in the scrimmage. You have to treat that as a game type situation. If a guy is not performing we'll move somebody quick and get the next guy in. We're always going to rotate and find out who can get it done all the time.

Q: Was McCray rotated back to first team this week?

Shannon: Yes, because that's his one game suspension
 11 years ago '04        #1174
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Wednsday's News and Notes

Javarris James coughed up the ball on a big hit by Josh Holmes
* The defensive line had its way with the offensive line today. The highlight of the day: On one goal line play DT Josh Holmes simply leveled RB Javarris James, forcing a fumble that the defense recovered.

The offensive play was so poor at times that coach Randy Shannon even stopped the practice and made the offense run.

* Sources tell CaneSport that RB Graig Cooper has a broken finger. Coach Randy Shannon has said Cooper likely won't play in the spring game, but he has not offered specifics on the injury. Cooper was not watching on at practice today. Shannon said he had a doctor's appointment.

* WR coach Marques Mosely said Sam Shields and Ryan Hill are getting extended reps with all the injuries at receiver.

"They're not freshmen anymore, they can't play like freshmen," Mosely said. "We're going to expect a lot out of them this year."

Mosely was asked how many of the incoming freshmen receivers he hopes to play this year.

"If all four are ready to go they'll play this year," Mosely said. "I'm not going to wait, prepare them to redshirt. They're going to be prepared to play this year if need be. Right now they need to play this year."

Mosely said of WRs Shields, Hill and Khalil Jones that "They all have a long ways to go. Sam and Ryan are younger guys, Khalil knows the tempo, the level of what we expect out of our guys. Sam and Ryan just need to pick it up a little more, be consistent in what they're doing."

While walkon receivers have gotten a lot of work this spring, Mosely said he doesn't see any of them playing in the fall right now.

Has the lack of receiver depth affected the quarterbacks negatively this spring?

"No, I don't think so," Mosely said. "The quarterbacks have their job to do and the receivers have their job to do. For us to say the quarterbacks have lacked ... not at all. It's just getting chemistry with the quarterbacks as well as receivers. We can't fault one another. We just have to work together as a team."

Asked if it's fair to a.ssume that Darnell Jenkins and Lance Leggett will begin the fall with the first group, Mosely said, "Who knows what may happen? These freshmen may come in and have a great summer, pick up our information rapidly and beat Lance and Darnell out. That would be great for us. Who will start against Marshall? We'll find out when we step on the field against Marshall."

* DB coach Wesley McGriff earned the quote of the day. When asked if he's coached a lot of press coverage in the past, he said, "I'm a press man. I've got press in my suitcase. I take it everywhere I go."

McGriff said he's moved around the defensive backs in case there are injuries.

Anthony Redd*ck and Kenny Phillips have played cornerback, and Randy Phillips has tried some safety.

"No one's got a starting job right now," McGriff said, adding, "I've been really impressed with the way Redd*ck has played corner."

* Want to know more about the quarterback battle between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman?

Don't look for any hints on how they're doing from other players [Wright and Freeman are under a media gag order this spring].

"We're not supposed to be making comments on them," offensive lineman Derrick Morse said.

Morse says he's not sure if he'll be playing in the Spring Game. He's back at practice but is not at 100 percent from a leg injury that cost him most of the spring.

* The Orange vs. White rosters for the spring game will be unveiled on Friday, according to Miami's Sports Information Department. Shannon has said he "drafted" two equal teams for the game.

RANDY'S SENSE OF HUMOR?

It's been no secret that members of the media have had trouble eliciting answers from first year coach Randy Shannon.

Today Shannon had an interesting exchange with reporters:

Reporter No. 1: "Is media day still the first day for quarterback availability or maybe after the spring game? Have you decided yet?"

Shannon: "I haven't decided yet."

Reporter No. 2: "That's interesting. Are the quarterbacks available or not available after the scrimmage?"

Shannon: "Quarterbacks? Oh please, No."

Reporter No. 1: "Good one, Randy."
 11 years ago '04        #1175
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Canes Pick Up Huge Commitment

Film:

[pic - click to view]

Pompano Beach Ely DB Patrick Johnson was playing the recruiting game.

But not anymore.

"It's Miami -- I committed a couple of weeks ago," Johnson said. "I committed to coach (Wesley) McGriff and (Randy) Shannon over the phone."

But Johnson didn't say anything publicly, saying at one point that Florida State was at the top of his list with the Canes.

On Tuesday, though, Johnson attended UM's practice and again reiterated the commitment. This time he decided he might as well make it public.

"I made it official when I went by yesterday," the 6-foot-1, 190-pounder with 4.40-second speed said. "I told coach Shannon I'm ready to be a part of the family. He was like `It's great to have you!'

"We just talked about the upcoming season and about the things I can bring to the table. Coach Shannone was just telling me about the Hurricanes and how they're going to be on the verge of moving back (to winning ways)."

Asked why he initially kept the commitment secret, Johnson said, "No particular reason."

He says he won't be taking any visits other than to Miami.

"It's pretty over with," Johnson said. "I'm locked in right now."

Johnson says he will be graduating high school early and will be at UM in January.

"It takes a big load off making the decision now," he said. "It's pretty definite I'll [graduate early]. I took the ACT, am just waiting on the score."

His goals as a Cane?

"One of my goals is going in as a true freshman and getting playing time, returning kicks and getting tackles and make the fans happy," he said. "And to graduate."

Johnson plans to study business at UM.

He was recruited as a cornerback, and he also could return kicks -- last year he had a 72-yard punt return for a score and brought back kickoff returns for touchdowns from 98 and 84 yards.

He also had 54 tackles and seven interceptions.

Johnson showed off his ability in one-on-one drills at the recent Miami Nike Camp.

An invitation-only camp with elite talent from South Florida, Johnson intercepted the first two passes thrown his way. The third one was a quick slant that was incomplete, and he intercepted the fourth pass.

He is a tremendous talent.

And he will be staying close to home for college.

"Me and him had a talk about it being close to home," Patrick Johnson Sr. said. "I told him the decision he makes he has to live with it. He's following his dream playing for the Hurricanes. When we watch college football it was always `UM, UM, UM.' His cousin [Bryant McFadden] played at FSU so he liked them too. But it's more him liking the team he grew up on. I think it'll be good for him to be a Hurricane."
 11 years ago '06        #1176
csarvis3 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,256 | Props total: 443 443
huge pickup
 11 years ago '04        #1177
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
i heard that we will probably pick up 2-3 commitments after the spring game this weekend
 11 years ago '04        #1178
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
 C.R.I.P. said:
i heard that we will probably pick up 2-3 commitments after the spring game this weekend
Damn ... probably dem boyz from Northwestern?

dat'd be straiiiiiiiiiiiiiight as fu*k.
 11 years ago '05        #1179
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,043 | Props total: 639 639
no roster for the orange and white game?
 11 years ago '04        #1180
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Taking South Florida Back

The Miami Hurricanes were accustomed to taking home the best of the best when it came to South Florida. But just as recently as last year, the Canes lost out on top prospects Deonte Thompson and Major Wright just to name a few. Now, with the departure of Larry Coker and hiring of Randy Shannon, the Hurricanes are making sure that South Florida is put on lock down. So far, the Canes are off to an extremely hot start. We spoke with Canes Sport publisher Gary Ferman about their recent success and how this bodes for Miami fans in the future.

[pic - click to view]

Johnson recently committed to the Hurricanes
As former defensive coordinator and current head coach of the Miami Hurricanes, Randy Shannon has always been a tenacious recruiter. But now, the head skipper is running the entire show, not just the defense. That decision alone by the University of Miami has created a lot of excitement around the Hurricane football program. It hasn't just affected the football team, but also the recruiting front where Shannon is known as a coach many high school kids look up to.

"The kids see what's going on with each school and with the relationships Coach Shannon has built around the South Florida area is as strong as it gets. Many kids look up to Randy as a father figure and he is very trust worthy to each and every prospect he comes in contact with so that attracts a lot of prospects to feel extremely comfortable with him," explained Canes Sport Publisher Gary Ferman.

While Miami's struggles were noted last year on the football field - finishing with their second straight 7-6 season, a change appeared to be just what the doctor ordered. The tough year for the Hurricanes also seemed to have an effect on the recruiting front as well, losing out on top prospects such as Deonte Thompson and Major Wright.

"I don't think it was that much of a drop off around the South Florida area because sometimes you are going to have guys that want to get out of the area. With that said Miami has more than landed the top prospects from South Florida and I know with Coach Shannon, keeping the talent close to home has been extremely important on the recruiting front. You have to understand that a lot of these kids around the Miami Dade area and South Florida have probably known Randy since they were picking up a football because he's a personable, honest and down to earth guy that parents and kids just fall in love with.

[pic - click to view]

Regis helped lead Pahokee to a state championship last season
Living up to his record as one of the best recruiters not only in the state of Florida, but in the nation, Coach Shannon has already made a strong impact in South Florida as well as the entire state of Florida with commitments from Patrick Johnson, Brandon Washington, and Micanor Regis.

Johnson is considered to be the top defensive back prospect out of Florida and comes in rated by FlaVarsity.com as the no. 2 prospect around the state. Then there is Northwestern OL Brandon Washington (no. 14) who is also considered one of the best offensive linemen in the state, if not the top lineman. Then finally the Hurricanes nabbed a furious defensive tackle prospect in Pahokee defensive tackle Micanor Regis (no. 16) who is rated as one of the top two defensive linemen in all of Florida. All three talented prospects are rated in the 20 players around Florida according to the latest FlaVarsity.com Top 100.

"To be honest, it's probably the best start in recruiting that Miami has ever had when you talk about three big name guys like Patrick Johnson, Brandon Washington and Micanor Regis. Every single one of those prospects could be rated no. 1 at their position in the state, so I don't think there is any question that it's a big plus for Miami to have so many top rated guys this early in the process."

The Hurricanes are also showing no signs of slowing down with Miami heavily involved with prospects such as Xavier Brewer, C.J. Holton, Nigel Bradham, and Brandon Harris from Booker T. Washington.

[pic - click to view]

Washington is considered one of the best OL linemen in the state
"There is no question that the staff has been very a.ssertive about getting the word out about the direction of the Miami program and where they want to be. Now it just has to transfer on the football field, but you can really sense the excitement around Miami football again, no doubt about that."

Those prospects listed also didn't include the biggest pipeline for the Hurricanes the Miami Northwestern Bulls and according to Ferman, the Hurricanes could be tough to beat. Making matters worse the Bulls have probably their strongest team in history as they boast over nine D-I prospects. Six of those prospects are rated in the top 35 for the FlaVarsity.com Top 100.

"I think you have to consider Miami as being the favorite for all of the Northwestern kids, especially with the fact that the school is just right down the road and the history Miami has had recruiting over at Miami Northwestern."

With the commitment of Brandon Washington and the heavy leanings by LB Sean Spence and Marcus Fortson, the Hurricanes have made it clear they want to protect the home front. Helping Miami further this season is the amount of talent not only in the Miami area, but in South Florida alone.

"It helps a ton this year because you have a new staff at Miami, but not only that you have a lot of top prospects that are close to home. This might be the best crop of talent around this area that I have seen in quite some time. I mean you usually have the quality, but not the quantity like it this season. The advantage of being able to show a new era is taking off and the early relationships most kids have developed at a young age with this staff is a solid advantage for Miami."

You can't really argue with the results so far and this recruiting class could be one of the best the Miami Hurricane fans have seen in quite some time. Whether Miami can keep the solid string going might not be a question, but more a formality with the Hurricanes setting the tone early.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nov 23 - Woman goes missing after posting about upcoming Tinder date
51 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Why she look like she just raped these kids
113 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nov 23 - Gangs allowed to prisoners to kill people and have sex with o..
68 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Tekashi69 First show in NYC (Sold Out Venue)
38 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Manute Bol reportedly lied about his age and may have been 50yrs old when ..
63 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
It's the year 1993 & these niggas knew what they were doing. They knew & did i..
59 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Chris Tucker:Ice Cube Mad Cause I Ain’t Wanna Do Friday 2, U Ain't Pay ..
155 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA This the chick that slid in klay Thompson DM
87 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy