Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '06        #1161
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
good looks CRIP

FREE RA
 10 years ago '04        #1162
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Player Ranking Index
The Boss might not talk about individuals on his team but no one can stop me from doing it, especially since some of U have spent the past week debating how much talent this team has.

I must admit, it was a struggle trying to identify UM's 20 best players. I initially wanted to do a list of UM's top 25 players, but the field got so thin around 16 I had to cut the list down to 20.

That should tell U where this team is talent wise. It's not that Miami doesn't have good athletes. It's just that a lot of guys haven't panned out for whatever reason over the past three years. And for the record, not all of it can be blamed on coaching.

Take for instance James Bryant, who is a freakish athlete, and my favorite Hurricanes based on what I saw him do three springs ago freelancing on the field when he was first moved to fullback.

In my opinion Miami's offense never looked better than that one game he had an impact (FIU). But Bryant hasn't proven he can be trusted or counted on yet to his coaches (he's working on his third set of coaches by the way) or team. Maybe he will put it all together this fall. While I'd love to bank on it, it's not a safe bet. But you never know, and the same applies for a number of players.

Andrew Bain's weight loss could make him the dominant guard he was expected to be. Could Matt Pipho blow the coaches away in his tryout as the first-team center this spring while Derrick Morse and A.J. Trump are sidelined by injuries? He certainly could. Could Khalil Jones, who I'm told had a strong showing during Thursday's practice, finally put it all together and start catching passes on a consistent basis? He sure could. And for all we know Colin McCarthy, the spring surprise, could be UM's top linebacker next season.

But this rating system - my own, and the second installment of it - is NOT based on potential. It's based on PRODUCTION, proven track record, and information I've gathered from people I trust. This rating index focuses on a PLAYER'S VALUE TO THE TEAM, HIS POTENTIAL IMPACT, and HOW IRREPLACEABLE he is to UM. The easier it is to replace you and what you bring to the team the lower you are on my list.

1. Calais Campbell - He's the most dominant defensive player I've covered as the Hurricanes beat writer since Sean Taylor. He changes the game with his combination of size, speed and strength. Every offense must spend time planning for him.

2. Kenny Phillips - I'm troubled by the fact I can't really find a flaw in his game. If he wasn't injured for the second half of last season he would have been the Hurricanes leading tackler for sure. He should take away one-third of the field this season if he stays healthy. Quarterbacks must check for him before every snap.

3. Jason Fox - Grade them however you want to grade UM's offensive linemen, but from where I sat he was the most consistent and productive, and that was as a true freshman. UM better hope his foot heals well. As a left tackle his value goes up significantly.

4. Javarris James - You've got to love the bloodlines and the production (1002 total yards - 802 rushing, 200 catching, five touchdowns) he showed off in his freshman season. But does Baby J have what it takes to become an every down back, and will he take his game to the next level, rushing for over 1,000 yards and scoring 10 touchdowns?

5. Lance Leggett - He's still not making any catches over the middle, but then again Randy Moss doesn't either. That doesn't mean I'm comparing him to Moss because he's not that good as a deep threat, especially when Miami's QB's are scared to throw deep. But Leggett career numbers (70 catches, 1,137 yards, 10 TDs, 16.2 yards per catch) says he's good. UM better hope his knee injury isn't too serious or else the offense will be further handcuffed.

6. Glenn Cook - He's small but instinctive. He knows exactly where to be, but does he have the physicality to make the play? Last season he did O.K., recording 64 tackles (32 unassisted) despite playing more snaps than every other linebacker, including Jon Beason. He'll need to improve on those numbers and stay healthy if this defense is going to be dominant yet again.

7. Darryl Sharpton - He came on strong at the end of last season, finally living up the praise that has long followed him. He was supposed to take the next step towards locking down that middle linebacker spot this spring but a shoulder injury has him on the IR. We'll see if he picks it back up come the fall and holds off McCarthy for one of the three starting linebacker spots.

8. Teraz McCray - His spring performances have been much better than his fall showings. However, I haven't heard one word about this senior this spring, which is a bit surprising. Miami's going to need more than 25 tackles and two sacks from McCray this season considering the interior of the defenses front line is UM's biggest concern on that side of the ball.

9. Glenn Sharpe - A lock-down cornerback has a tremendous amount of value to his team. Sharpe wasn't that last season (two interceptions, 14 pass breakups) but he did show he's on his way back to being dominant by establishing himself as UM's most reliable cornerback last season. The question is will he ever let it all loose, playing without fear of suffering another serious injury? Truthfully speaking, I don't know if I could if I were in his shoes.

10. Derrick Morse - He's been with the IR crew most of the spring, derailing his transition to center, but Morse has proven his worth to me and his coaches over the years. He's tough, physical and rarely backs down from anyone. That's a combination you have to like. At center he'll have a lot more freedom to be the "bull in a china shop," which is how Art Kehoe often described him. But can he read a defense and make the right line calls?

11. Sam Shields - He had a very productive freshman season (37 catches for 501 yards and four touchdowns) but it'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers he can put up when he's finally comfortable with his understanding of the offense. He isn't having a sensational spring, but it's not like UM has many other options. At least not till the fall.

12. Reggie Youngblood - Despite his injury plagued sophomore season Youngblood proved he's one of the building blocks of this offensive line when healthy. I'm not sure what brought about the move from left to right tackle, but if he can stay healthy the tackle spots will be one less position Miami will have to worry about for the next two years.

13. Eric Moncur - If you've seen his father, who is figuratively a living giant, you'd know Moncur (6-2, 260) still has plenty of growing to do. This junior is having a productive spring and should lock down the starting spot opposite Campbell, but can he be a pass rushing threat or will UM need to call on Courtney Harris and Steven Wesley for that.

14. Kyle Wright - The fact that he's not in the top 10 of this list is a crying shame. While I'm not as down on Wright as most UM fans are (he did lead the ACC in touchdown passes in 2005 people) he still hasn't reached his potential, and I continuously debate with myself if it's poor coaching, or is he really broken and can't be fixed. The jury is still out.

15. Graig Cooper - The last player I know who truly had this much player-driven buzz surrounding him was Devin Hester, who ironically Cooper is often compared to because of their quickness (CLICK HERE FOR MY GRAIG COOPER STORY). Now the only question is: Can he learn an offense and retain it, which is what handcuffed Hester. I also wonder about his durability.

16. Antonio Dixon - Of everyone on the team I believe his development this off-season will be the most critical to Miami's success. Big Dix is real good when he's fresh, routinely collapsing the pocket. But he's real average when he's not. He probably has to get down to at least 320 to reach his potential.

17. Lovon Ponder - His ball skills, which has helped him corral four interceptions in two seasons, is what's keeping him in front of Anthony Redd*ck, for now. This junior showed a great deal of improvement last season but he must continue to get better to keep that spot because a healthy Redd*ck is a stud.

18. Randy Phillips - Defensive coordinator Tim Walton calls him "Big Man," and he's not kidding. He's naturally grown to what he was recruited to be, which is a safety. But he still has value as Miami's best press corner. However, he's got to work on his speed and lateral moves to defend those small, quick receivers who exposed him a bit last season.

19. Kirby Freeman - He might very well end up as Miami's starting quarterback because the junior potentially has more upside than Wright, who is a senior. The truth is investing in Freeman for the next two seasons makes more sense. But Freeman has yet to prove he can he anything more than a stopgap. He's good at freelancing, but limited in most other aspects as of now.

20. Darnell Jenkins - Most of U overlooked the value he had to Wright until he went down. Jenkins is savvy and smart, but is he fully healthy, and will he be in the fall? He'll likely have a significant role as Miami's possession receiver. That is unless one of the incoming players beats him out, which is possible, but unlikely if he's healthy.

This list will be revisited when fall camp concludes.
 10 years ago '05        #1163
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
damn crip ur that fu*king dude...i wasnt able to watch the game cuz i was fu*king work...thnx
 10 years ago '04        #1164
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
Scrimmage #2 Report

* First group offense: QB Matt Perrelli; Linemen Reggie Youngblood, Chris Rutledge, Matt Pipho, Andrew Bain, Cyrim Wimbs; RB Javarris James; H-back Chris Zellner, TE DajLeon Farr; WR Sam Shields, Ryan Hill

* First group defense: Linemen Calais Campbell, Dwayne Hendricks, Josh Holmes, Eric Moncur; linebackers Colin McCarthy, Glenn Cook, Spencer Adkins; defensive backs Kenny Phillips, Lovon Ponder, Carlos Armour, Randy Phillips

March 30 Scrimmage Play-By-Play

MATT PERRELLI AT QB

1-10-35: Handoff up middle to Javarris James. No gain

2-10-35: James gets nice hole up middle for 7 yards

3-3-42: Graig Cooper runs up middle to pick up first down

1-10-45: Cooper loses 2 on left side

2-12-43: Run by Cooper loses 4. Tackle by Eric Moncur

3-16-39: Botched snap, fumble, Josh Holmes recovers

KYLE WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-35: Bootleg right by Wright to 42

2-3-42: James gets big hole on right side and rumbles to the opposing 36-yard line. Gain of 22

1-10-opp 36: Wright finds Farr on right side. Farr rumbles down to inside the 1 before being pushed out of bounds. He got wide open, nice play

1-G-opp 1: James busts in for touchdown. Matt Bosher makes extra point

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-35: Cooper hammered in backfield, tries to break free but loses it and Lovon Ponder for a touchdown

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-35: Pass too high for Ryan Hill, incomplete

2-10-35: Spencer Adkins breaks up pass over middle

3-10-35: Chris Zellner gets open but Wright misses him 20 yards downfield. Incomplete

JAKE BYRNE AT QB

1-10-35: Loss of four yards on run by Charlie Jones

2-14-31: Tavares Gooden makes tackle of Jones for loss of six

3-20-25: Pass into double coverage incomplete. PENALTY: Pass interference. Offense takes over at 40

1-10-40: Byrne has no time to throw and is sacked. Loss of 8

2-18-32: Jones gains 2

3-16-34: Screen pass bounced incomplete

JORGE FERNANDEZ AT QB

1-10-35: Snap is fumbled. Offense recovers for loss of 6

2-16-29: Derron Thomas finds a small hole on the left side, runs to the 34

3-11-34: Joe Tolliver drops first down pass on the left sideline

FERNANDEZ AT QB

1-10-35: Thomas bottled up, loses 2

2-12-33: Pass overthrown incomplete

3-12-33: Nice pass bounces off hands of Terrance Thomason 15 yards downfield

WRIGHT AT QB, 2:53 ON THE CLOCK

1-10-50: Wright pressured, defense takes away screen option to James, he throws it away

2-10-50: Glenn Cook makes shoestring tackle on James, but not after James catches pass for gain of 15

1-10-opp 35: Pass too high intended for Khalil Jones, who was open

2-10-opp 35: Matt Pipho snap sails over Wright's head. Wright falls on fumble at 49, loss of 16

3-26-49: 21 seconds remain. Wright scrambles to the opp 43

4-19-43: Time runs out before offense gets snap off

PERRELLI AT QB, 1:15 ON THE CLOCK

1-10-50: Pass incomplete intended for Jerrell Mabry on short route. Tavares Gooden had tight coverage

2-10-50: Pass to Terrance Thomason incomplete, pass interference on Doug Wiggins

1-10-opp 43: Miscommunication, pass sails incomplete

2-10-opp 43: Pass incomplete intended for Thomason

3-10-opp 43: Screen pass too high for Charlie Jones, who can't handle it

4-10-opp 43: Ponder almost intercepts pass into double coverage

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-40: Run by James nets nothing

2-10-40: Pass to Farr almost intercepted by Randy Phillips, who had excellent coverage

3-10-40: Pass thrown at Zellner's feet incomplete 15 yards downfield over the middle

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-40: James makes nice stutter step to avoid a tackle in backfield, surges forward for gain of seven

2-3-47: James runs for two yards up middle. PENALTY: Offsides on defense

1-10-opp. 47: James gains three. PENALTY: Illegal block against offense

1-20-43: Pass thrown behind open Farr over middle, incomplete off Farr's fingers as he tried to come back to the ball

2-20-43: Screen pass incomplete.

1-10-46: Canes start new series. James runs up middle to the opp 45. Gain of 9

2-1-43: Run loses six yards. Tackle by Glenn Cook

3-7-37: Wright is sacked

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-40: Pass complete on left sideline to Sam Shields. Gain to opp. 44

1-10-opp 44: Jones runs for no gain. PENALTY against defense puts offense at the opp. 41

1-10-opp 41: Short pass to Zellner, who is tackled by Spencer Adkins after a gain of three

2-7-opp 38: Pitch to Jones on the left. He runs for a gain of twotwo

3-5-opp 36: Defense swarms to Jones after he gets the ball. Loss of two

4-7-opp 38: Jones runs on right side for short gain. PENALTY: Richard Gordon called for roughing Wright – he ran into him hard after Wright threw the ball

1-10-19: James runs for a gain of six

2-4-13: Run by James gains two

3-2-11: Pass to Shields incomplete

4-2-11: Bosher field goal misses wide left. PENATLY: Illegal substitution

1-G-8: Shields catches pass lofted to him in end zone. Bosher extra point good.

BYRNE AT QB

1-10-40: Pass complete to Ryan Hill. Gain of six

2-4-46: Run up middle by Kylan Robinson nets one

3-3-47: Byrne scrambles for the first down

1-10-50: Robinson finds a gap in the line and gets a big hole. He rumbles down tt the opp. 32. Gain of 18

1-10-opp 32: Run up middle by Robinson nets one

2-9-opp 31: PENALTY: Delay of game against the offense

2-14-opp 36: Robinson sweeps left, makes a man miss and rumbles down to the 14. Gain of 22

1-10-opp 14: Robinson run loses two. PENALTY: Holding against the offense

1-20-opp 24: Byrne sacked

2-26-opp 30: Robinson sweeps left for eight yards

3-18-opp 22: Byrne scrambles, touched down for loss of three

4-21-opp 25: 42-yard field goal try by Daren Daly is well short, lands in middle of end zone

RED ZONE DRILLS, WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-opp 18: Pass to Farr gains four

2-6-opp 14: Run on right side by James nets nine yards

1-G-opp 5: James breaks free up middle virtually untouched for a touchdown

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-opp 22: Penalty against defense for illegal substitution declined. Four yard gain on run

2-6-opp 18: Pass complete to Zellner to the 11.

1-10-opp 11: Run on right side by Jones goes nowhere

2-10-opp 11: Pass thrown into double coverage intended for Khalil Jones in left side of end zone intercepted by Glenn Cook

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-opp 22: Jones runs up middle to 17

2-5-opp 17: Jones pushes a big pile ahead on the left side, gain of six

1-10-opp 11: Pass in end zone lofted up and broken up by Kenny Phillips

2-10-opp 11: Pass perfect to Shields in middle of end zone running slant for touchdown. Extra point by Bosher is good.

FERNANDEZ AT QB

1-10-opp 22: Thomas gains 4

2-6-opp 18: Thomas rushes, no gain

3-6-opp 18: Thomas gains two on left side

4-4-opp 16: Daly field goal good. PENALTY: False start on offense

4-8-opp 21: Daly hits 37-yard field goal

WRIGHT AT QB

1-10-50: Pass incomplete

2-10-50: Run on left side by James nets 3

3-7-opp 47: Pass incomplete intended for Zellner. Penalty: Pass interference. New set of downs

1-10-opp 47: Run by James goes nowhere

2-10-opp 47: James runs for gain of 5

3-5-opp 42: James runs up middle, no gain

4-5-opp 42: Shields makes nice grab for gain of 9

1-10-opp 33: Wright scrambles to 28

2-5-opp 28: Run on left side by James gains 3

3-2-opp 25: James goes up middle for gain of 1

4-1-opp 24: James picks up first down, pushes way down to the 21

1-10-opp 21: James hammered on run up middle, no gain

2-10-opp 21: Wright forced to keep, no gain

3-10-opp 21: Pass incomplete intended for Khalil Jones

4-10-opp 21: Field goal attempt by Daly from 38 yards misses wide left
 10 years ago '04        #1165
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
WR on Crutches in Knee Brace

[pic - click to view]

Receiver Lance Leggett was sparkling this spring with numerous big plays.

But he went down with a knee injury toward the end of yesterday's practice, hobbling to the locker room with an ice bag around his right knee.

Tonight he attended the team's scrimmage at Traz Powell Stadium. He spent the scrimmage on the sidelines on crutches with a bulky knee brace protecting the injury.

After the scrimmage coach Randy Shannon wouldn't specify the details of the injury.

But he did say it's not severe.

"He'll be back for August," Shannon said.

Shannon said he's not worried about only having only three scholarship receivers healthy for the rest of the spring.

"Lance will be back," Shannon said. "We're okay."

In other injury news, OL Derrick Morse suited up but didn't play. Shannon said he may return in time for the Spring Game.

Reserve defensive lineman Joe Joseph suffered an ankle injury early-on in the scrimmage but was able to hobble off under his own power.

"He'll probably be back Monday or something like that," Shannon said.
 10 years ago '04        #1166
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
No Freeman as Canes Practice at Traz Powell

[pic - click to view]

he Hurricanes held their second spring scrimmage tonight at Traz Powell Stadium in Miami.

Shannon did not use Freeman at all in the scrimmage
And coach Randy Shannon shook things up by starting walkon quarterback Matt Perrelli with the first group.

The walkons and Kyle Wright were the only quarterbacks to see action. Kirby Freeman, who Shannon said afterward is not hurt, did not see a single snap.

Why was that?

"All the quarterbacks are going to get a shot, so today it was Kyle and the other guys getting an opportunity," said Shannon, who did not make players available for interviews after the scrimmage.

Asked by a reporter if he was sending a message to Freeman, Shannon responded, "Y'all don't listen, huh?"

Another reporter added, "He didn't get a rep," to which Shannon said, "The first scrimmage the other three guys didn't get a rep. Everybody's going to get a rep, get an opportunity, because you never know who can help you."

The defense had numerous tackles for losses in the scrimmage, and there were few big plays on offense. The receiving game was hurt by the loss of Lance Leggett, who is out the rest of the spring with a knee injury. He's expected back in the fall.

The offense's best drive was on the second series. A 22-yard run by Javarris James was followed immediately by a DajLeon Farr 35-yard catch from Wright to the one-yard line. A play later James had a touchdown.

"Javarris did well today," Shannon said. "He did some good things, and the offensive line did a great job blocking for him. They did a great job today also."

On the first play of the next series Lovon Ponder had a 35-yard fumble return for a touchdown. Graig Cooper suffered the fumble, and he did not get more carries the rest of the day.

The offense didn't get moving again until toward the end of the scrimmage, starting when Wright led a 60-yard drive. It appeared to end with a 28-yard attempt by Matt Bosher that missed wide left, but an illegal substitution penalty kept the drive alive. On first and goal from the eight-yard line Wright lofted a scoring pass to Sam Shields in the right side of the end zone.

On the next drive walkon QB Jake Byrne led a drive that reached the opposing 14-yard line before stalling. Kylan Robinson had runs of 18 and 22 yards. A holding penalty and delay of game pushed the offense back and the drive ended with a 42-yard Daren Daly field goal falling well short.

Of Robinson's running today, Shannon said, "I was pleased. He came in last year, we had high expectations of him, he was nicked. He came back and responded this spring. He has to keep being consistent."

The scrimmage's final drive, engineered by Wright starting at midfield, ended with a Daly field goal going wide left. Daly hit a 37-yard field goal the previous drive in red zone drills.

Those were the only lengthy drives of the hour-and-a-half scrimmage.

"There were some good and bad things," Shannon said. "I think defensively we came out here and started playing well, but then the offense had a couple of big plays. We put points on the board. It was a good scrimmage for what we're trying to get done right now."

* Asked about the kicking game with the missed field goals and one made attempt, Shannon said, "They did okay tonight, better than what it was last week. This week I was pleased. But we still have work to do. We say if we're inside the 30 it should be automatic, and we're going to keep pressing those guys."

* The UM Sports Information Department said there were 1,004 fans in attendance at the scrimmage.

* Signees Damien Berry and Kayne Farquharson attended the scrimmage
 10 years ago '04        #1167
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Some Notes on the QB Battle so Far. ill update when the spring is finish and try to keep it updated through the fall

Kyle Wright
Scrimmage #1: #37% completion percent
Scrimmage #2: #39%
Scrimmage #3:

Kirby Freeman
Scrimmage #1: 57%
Scrimmage #2: DNP
Scrimmage #3:
 10 years ago '04        #1168
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
the offense looks like its doin well, thats a good sign, especially against our D
 10 years ago '06        #1169
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
good looks on the update

damn i hope we dont have a Wide Right Wide Left situation the whole year at the feild goal kicker position

03-31-2007, 09:34 AM         #1170
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
why the hell can't we get an update on Leggett? If its that simple of an injury let the press know and keep him off the field when hes not practicing
 10 years ago '04        #1171
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
my n*gga CRIP stepping his game up big time, coming on the clutch since RA left... i'll prop you whenever i can cuzo.
 10 years ago '04        #1172
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Scrimmage Observations
The lasting image I took from the Traz Powell Scrimmage was of defensive line coach Clint Hurtt dragging a tired Antonio Dixon from the sidelines back to the line of scrimmage for one of Miami's final drives.

The Boss had talked all spring about pushing people to their limits, and that was exactly what Hurtt was doing to Big Dix, who was trying to take himself out of the action. But the offense was driving down the field and his team needed him. I guess Hurtt wanted to get across the message that the end of the scrimmage (or end of the game) was no time to quit.

Outside of a horrendous kicking game, Lance Leggett crutching himself up and down the field (CLICK HERE FOR STORY ON HIS INJURY), Colin McCarthy, Javarris James and Eric Moncur tearing it up on the field, Kirby Freeman sitting out the action, and Anthony Redd*ck playing cornerback.... I'm not exactly sure what I saw on Friday, and I'm pretty sure that was by design.

The offense confuses me, but in a good way. It takes me a while to figure out what Patrick Nix is doing. It doesn't always work, partly because Miami's so limited at receiver and is working with a piecemeal offensive line, but U see potential there. All it needs is a few missing pieces (Derrick Morse, Jason Fox, A.J. Trump, Lance Leggett, Darnell Jenkins) and a decent quarterback to facilitate it.

Speaking of quarterbacks, for the record Matt Perrelli took the first snap, and the walk-ons took a significant amount of the reps Friday night and showed they are NO LONGER in the race to be UM's starting quarterback.

Freeman didn't scrimmage at all, and I suspect he was either under the weather or has a tired arm. While Randy Shannon promised everyone would get an opportunity, truthfully speaks, that's what practices (the ones that are closed to the public) are for. Paul Dee and the 1,000 fans in attendance didn't drive all the way to Lockhart Stadium - in rush hour traffic I might add - to see Perrelli, Jake Byrne and Jorge Fernandez.

He has to be resting Freeman up for next Saturday's scrimmage at the Orange Bowl, or worse, sending him a message - which I haven't heard is the case - especially since I've been told this was Freeman's best week of the spring.

As for Kyle Wright, he performed better than he did in his first scrimmage. His completion percentage wasn't good, but a lot of that could be blamed on walk-on and scholarship receivers dropping passes. However, he did throw it behind a number of guys a few times. But, on a positive note I couldn't remember any "What was he thinking," moments, which is a step in the right direction.

Wright's first drive, the one with the real first team, was the most impressive. He scrambled on a bootleg for 7-yards, James popped off a 22-yard run, making a cut that put Lovon Ponder on his backside, and Wright hit DajLeon Farr on an underneath route in the center of the field. Farr cut up the sidelines for a 35-yard gain and really scored but the referees said he was out at the one. James punched it in for a touchdown, ending a 4-play, 65-yard drive.

As the defense usually does when they get embarrassed at practice they immediately started smacking the offense in the mouth. On the very next drive Graig Cooper bobbled a hand-off after getting smacked in the backfield and Ponder picks it up and runs it in for a 25-yard touchdown. Cooper was done after that because he hurt his hand.

After that it was mostly walk-on QB after walk-on QB, which told me nothing.

Here's what else I learned....

I'm going to make a bold prediction right now that Colin McCarthy is a starter. I was expecting that type of showing from Tavares Gooden this spring and it makes me wonder if his hand injury, or something else is holding him back.

Matt Pipho needs to work on his shotgun snapping. Shannon is hopeful that Morse can be healthy enough to participate in UM's final week of practice.

Defensive tackle Josh Holmes, who recovered a fumbled snap, is small but has the potential to be a player. He was very active in the scrimmage, following up a week of practice where I finally started to hear his name get mentioned.

Kylan Robinson broke two long runs (17 and 22) and caught Boss Cane's attention. But Shannon said he has to start doing that consistently.

It appears that Carlos Armour has worked his way into the starting spot with Glenn Sharpe sidelined by his ankle injury, and Armour did a decent job.

The offensive line opened up some nice holes, but Calais Campbell was rarely on the field so the praise for Friday's showing will be tempered. If the O-line can do what they did Friday with Campbell on the field then you've got something. Chris Rutledge again caught my attention. His weight loss has really helped him move.

Finally, Traz Powell stadium desperately needs a new P.A. system because their announcer gems were routinely wasted by poor sound quality.

Tons of high school prospects showed up for the scrimmage, including many of the Northwestern boys, new UM commit Brandon Washington, running back Chris Smith, the Sun-Sentinel Player of the Year, whose recent transfer from Hollywood Hills to Boyd Anderson is causing controversy (READ HERE). Damien Berry was also in the house, as was Luther Campbell, who presently controls the Pop Warner football circuit in Dade County.

Remember, this is only what one man saw, and what one man thinks. Don't take it for the gospel.

Deuces.
 10 years ago '04        #1173
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 Black_Deuce said:
why the hell can't we get an update on Leggett? If its that simple of an injury let the press know and keep him off the field when hes not practicing
Shannon's not gonna let that info out, more than likely.

but as long as he's back by august like they say, im fine
 10 years ago '06        #1174
YoungGQ|m 
space
space
$13,117 | Props total: 1 1
lance leggett a.ss bet not be bi*chin up this year...cuz he ain't been realy gettin off since he was a freshman...
 10 years ago '04        #1175
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
damn the wideouts need help, good thing help is on the way this summer
 10 years ago '04        #1176
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 YoungGQ said:
lance leggett a.ss bet not be bi*chin up this year...cuz he ain't been realy gettin off since he was a freshman...
yeah his freshman year in 04 he was good. then in 05 when he hurt his foot, he was garbage. 06 he was decent in a poor offense. lets hope he can put it together one last time
 10 years ago '04        #1177
itstheshoes 
space
space
$883 | Props total: 0 0
 C.R.I.P. said:
yeah his freshman year in 04 he was good. then in 05 when he hurt his foot, he was garbage. 06 he was decent in a poor offense. lets hope he can put it together one last time
although I'm a FSU fan/alumni, props on the UM news. A couple of my homeboys play there (George Timmons and Rashaun Jones) and I like to keep up on them. Hopefully they'll make some noise this year (except when they play FSU of course :D )
 10 years ago '04        #1178
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
wow, i'm actually not gonna say anything because he's from FSU..... :wow:
 03-31-2007, 07:19 PM         #1179
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August is a long way off... if its that serious an injury where he cant even practice non contact then its serious
 10 years ago '04        #1180
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 itstheshoes said:
although I'm a FSU fan/alumni, props on the UM news. A couple of my homeboys play there (George Timmons and Rashaun Jones) and I like to keep up on them. Hopefully they'll make some noise this year (except when they play FSU of course :D )
Rashaun Jones is no longer part of the team...was kicked off, soon after Shannon took over.

he had issues throughout the year he kept getting suspended and sh*t. so it was only a matter of time
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy