Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #1141
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
 P. Dedos said:
i heard patrick johnson made a statement that he never commited

its too early anyways, hopefully at the end of it he decides to stay with the U
PJ is a hibitual liar
 10 years ago '05        #1142
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to C.R.I.P. again.

props C.R.I.P. when i can for keeping the thread going.
 03-28-2007, 04:18 AM         #1143
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 10 years ago '06        #1144
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11928 11928
 10 years ago '04        #1145
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Signs of Life

For once this spring there was a huge smile on every offensive players face at the conclusion of practice.

Victory was in hand, if only for a day.

Javarris James broke a couple of big runs, Charlie Jones made his presence known I'm told, making up for a disappointing scrimmage showing. Lance Leggett made some nice catches again, following up on his standout performance on Saturday. And it sounds like Sam Shields is finally getting over what appears to be the early signs of a sophomore slump.

Leggett's finally practicing with the team on a regular basis, putting the track season on the back-burner for the final two weeks, and his presence has helped Shields. Patrick Nix said the defense was rolling their coverage to Shields' side the past few practices, but now they are more concerned with Leggett and Shields is starting to be productive again.

Defensive coordinator Tim Walton said Lance Leggett is a BIG concern when he's on the field, as is Graig Cooper, Baby J, and tight end Chris Zellner, who he labeled "a pretty good player." Walton also said a big concern has been the QB's running with the ball, and I'm told Kyle Wright had a big run Tuesday.

"We have to prepare for them and that makes it tough because they can hit you with a lot of different things," Walton said of the new offense. "We have to stay well balanced on [our] side of the ball because they do have some weapons."

As for how his defense has performed this spring, Walton said: "We’re getting better."

"They are working hard. We still have a lot of things to improve on. Right now we want to work on them playing hard, getting in football shape and giving maximum effort," Walton said. "This is the time you learn what to do and make corrections. We just have to keep playing at a high energy. Keep it going and maintain it."

Walton said the veteran players are doing real solid this spring and he's counting on their continued leadership. He singled out Calais Campbell, Kenny Phillips, Lovon Ponder, Anthony Redd*ck and Doug Wiggins are some of the players who stood out in UM's first mini-scrimmage, and he's labeled Colin McCarthy, Wiggins and Eric Moncur as three of the pleasant surprises of the spring.

I'll be back in a bit with more.
 10 years ago '04        #1146
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
RB's Coach See's NFL Caliber backs

TOMMIE ROBINSON Q&A

Q: You've coached Tatum Bell, Emmitt Smith and Ladainian Tomlinson. Do you see NFL potential with these backs you have now?

Robinson: Oh, no doubt. We have some guys here with NFL potential. They all have different things. Charlie Jones is savvy, is a savvy back like an Emmitt Smith. Graig Cooper is explosive. We had Tatum Bell at Oklahoma State and he was explosive like Cooper. Javarris James, he's kind of an in between a Charlie Jones and a Graig Cooper. He can do a little bit of everything, isn't quite as fast or explosive as Cooper, has a lot of savvy about him. He's a good back, a workhorse like Tomlinson -– not talentwise, but he works like LT when we had LT in school. You find some similarities to guys you've coached in the past somewhere when you've been coaching as long as I've been coaching.

Q: In terms of getting all these guys carries, do you look for one workhorse or two or three backs that split carries?

Robinson: We'll let that take care of itself, kind of sort itself out. We'll try to do the best job we can to utilize our talent. We'll get them on the field and get them carries, get them touches. That stuff normally works itself out. I don't have any preconceived notions of `We've got to get Charlie Jones this many carries or Kylan Robinson this many carries or Graig Cooper this many carries or Javarris James this many carries.' I don't know. Coach (Patrick) Nix and I, the offensive staff, will get together and come up with a plan that will be conducive to win and it'll be what's best for those kids.

Q: Has there ever been any thought to putting Charlie Jones at fullback? He has some size to him.

Robinson: No, Charlie's doing a good job where he is. We've got plenty of guys for the fullback position. Our tight ends can be fullbacks -– Dedrick Epps, Chris Zellner and DajLeon Farr. And we have Jerrell Mabry and (walkon) Gabriel Diaz, who is doing a good job for us. I'm very pleased with him.

Q: At fullback, how are those guys being used?

Robinson: Our fullbacks have to be multiple players –- blockers, pass catchers, be able to run the ball here and there, but not a lot. They have to be very versatile and very physical. I'm not disappointed with what we have. We'll also use our tight ends sometimes at fullback, so we have a lot of bodies to work with. But Jerrell Mabry is doing a really good job for us, a really good job.

Q: Kylan Robinson is a young kid nobody's seen get a carry yet. What do you see in him?

Robinson: Kylan is still learning. He's to the point right now where he's still learning, him being a younger kid. The difference between him and Cooper is Cooper went to that prep school [Milford Prep in New York] and he played. Kylan didn't. Cooper's got a little experience under his belt. Kylan, he's coming along, has a lot of talent. They did a great job recruiting that kid. If he keeps coming, he'll be fine. He may be a future guy. I really like him.
 10 years ago '04        #1147
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Walton: Right Now we Feel Good About Defense

TIM WALTON Q&A

Q: Is this pretty much the same defensive system as last year or do you put your own tweaks in as the new defensive coordinator?

Walton: No, it's the same stuff.

Q: How have your responsibilities changed?

Walton: I just help oversee. But it's the same thing. I'm just helping out, running around, trying to a.ssist wherever I can, help coach (Randy) Shannon. He helped me out a lot with it, has done it for a long time. He's helping me with it and I'm trying to help the other coaches with the stuff that I know and the stuff that he teaches me and teaches them. We're trying to put it all together. It's one big unit over there.

Q: Does Shannon hang out more on the defensive side of the field in practices?

Walton: No. Coach hangs out on both. He's head coach now, so he splits it up. He oversees the whole team. But I ask him a lot of questions to get help on some of the stuff, make sure I'm on the same page with him. We're all gelling together in this thing -– O and D and special teams.

Q: Do you have a sense yet from this spring as to how talented this defensive unit is?

Walton: It's too early to tell right now, really. You have some young guys still growing, some guys out. So we have to wait a while. We're just trying to improve every day, taking it one day at a time.

Q: If you had to pick a concern area on defense where you may have to develop some guys quicker than other spots, what would that position be?

Walton: None right now, because you never know –- these young guys step up all the time. So it's too early, but we'll know later on in the spring and going into the summer how these guys finish up. We have some young guys that can play great for you, and sometimes the older guys don't play as great for you. So you never know. You just have to sort of play it by ear and see how it goes, evaluate it as it comes up. Right now we feel good about all the guys and keep trying to get improvement out of them.

Q: What have you seen from freshman Doug Wiggins so far?

Walton: He's doing well. He's working hard, is a very coachable kid. He's giving great effort He's still learning, has a lot to learn. But all we ask is that these guys come out and give it their best, and he's doing that. He'll hopefully keep growing.

Q: What about Steven Wesley?

Walton: The same thing. Steven missed last year due to injury and now he's back and is getting a lot of reps. He's improving every day, is very coachable, has a great work ethic. If they keep improving every day we hope these guys will all progress the way they need to.

Q: Have you determined yet if Richard Gordon will be an end or tackle?

Walton: Not yet. We're just moving guys around and trying to see the best fit. We don't know. They might all flip around this week. We'll evaluate them.

Q: How has Colin McCarthy been performing?

Walton: He's doing well, is growing. He's a young guy that continues to grow, is working hard and has great football instincts. We have big hopes for all these guys and I know they're going to continue to work hard and do well for us.
 10 years ago '04        #1148
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
OC Patrick Nix Interview

* Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix was asked about the quarterback play from the scrimmage now that the film has been evaluated.

"Both of them [Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman] had some poor decisions, had some really good throws, really good decisions, did some really good things on third and fourth downs," Nix said. "Both of them had some critical drives where they did good jobs. But obviously we still have work to do, a long way to go. We treated it like a game, signaled every play and really didn't have any problems with it, bad calls, delays of games, mess-ups with that. They did a really good job of that."

Asked if either quarterback performed better than the other in the scrimmage, Nix said, "No. Both of them performed very similar, made good plays, made bad plays. Both of them led the team, I thought, pretty well. Both of them are doing well."

Nix said both Freeman and Wright are working well together.

"I've been very pleased with their attitudes, personality, everything," Nix said. "I think we've all worked well together."

Nix was also asked about Sam Shields.

"Sam's doing well," Nix said. "So far this spring they've rolled most of the coverages to him. Today he had two or three big catches for us. Now they're starting to roll the coverage the other way for their installation and he's the guy that should be getting more of the throws. Sam's a very good player and will do a very good job for us in the future."

* With Derrick Morse out this spring, Matt Pipho is getting most of the reps at center.

And he hopes he's showing he can get the job done.

Pipho had never played center before. He was a tight end in high school and played guard last year.

"Guard and tackle there are similarities, but center has a lot of differences you have to learn," Pipho said. "Coach (Jeff) Stoutland has helped me out a lot, and I think I've made a lot of progress.

"The (starting center) job is up for a f!ght. It's nobody's job right now."

Pipho says he is happy with the way the line is playing this spring.

There were no sacks allowed in Saturday's scrimmage.

"I think we played real physical," Pipho said. "We had a couple of mentals we have to fix where we're inches away from making a play. Today we did real well. We fixed the mistakes we made on the weekend."

Indeed, the offense had several big plays in today's practice.

Javarris James had three plays on which he broke through the line on inside run, and Graig Cooper also had an occasion where he broke through the line.

Charlie Jones and Lance Leggett made the plays of the day in team drills. Jones caught a short pass, made a defender miss and then lowered his head to bowl into the end zone past two other defenders for a 20-yard touchdown. And Leggett took in a 40-yard bomb from Kirby Freeman.

"I just made a play -- he threw it up and I had to go get it," Leggett said.

DajLeon Farr had a couple of dropped passes after enjoying a strong scrimmage on Saturday.

"I feel the offense won today," James said.

Leggett added, "We had a good practice. We have to play like we have a chip on our shoulder all the time."

* The team will practice Tuesday and Thursday of this week with an open scrimmage held Friday in North Miami (at Traz Powell Stadium, 11380 NW 27th Avenue) beginning at 6 p.m.

* QUOTE OF THE DAY: Asked to describe first year line coach Jeff Stoutland, Matt Pipho said "He's a hybrid between coach (Mario) Cristobal and (Art) Kehoe. They're all offensive line coaches, so they're all crazy, which is good. That makes you learn under fire. That's the only way you can simulate a game is having a crazy coach screaming fire down your neck."
 10 years ago '06        #1149
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
Cant wait to see what that fool Cooper does this season

baby james in sophmore year = :wow:

lets just hope our O Line improves alot and i see no reason why it wouldnt we had alot of young players last year playing

Last edited by DEDOS; 03-28-2007 at 02:38 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #1150
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,894 | Props total: 289 289
did legget get hurt in practice today?
 10 years ago '04        #1151
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
sh*t please no^^

CRIP is that true?
 10 years ago '05        #1152
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,179 | Props total: 21 21
From Rivals...

* WR Lance Leggett injured his right knee toward the end of practice today and hobbled to the locker room with an ice bag around it. There is no word yet on the severity of the injury.
If he's out the remainder of the spring it will leave UM with only three healthy scholarship receivers: Sam Shields, Khalil Jones and Ryan Hill.
 10 years ago '06        #1153
Pyro911 4 heat pts
space
space
$9,170 | Props total: 15 15
Im not a Hurricane nor any NCAA sport fan but thanks for Frank Gore:)

Last edited by Pyro911; 03-30-2007 at 12:40 AM..
 03-30-2007, 01:05 AM         #1154
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BoSox84 said:
From Rivals...
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
 10 years ago '06        #1155
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
dammmmmmmmmnnnnn
 10 years ago '04        #1156
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
CB Armour: This is My Year

[pic - click to view]

The way cornerback Carlos Armour sees things, this is his year.

He redshirted last season after suffering a torn ACL, and two years ago he only got a chance to play off the bench in the final month of the season.

But now Armour is showing what he can do.

With Glenn Sharpe out with an injury, Armour is working with the first group.

"I'm healthy and I'm doing my part, playing my role," Armour said. "I just want to give us the opportunity to win games."

This is the same player who, when he was recruited by UM out of Memphis (Tenn.) Melrose High School, was checked out by St. Louis Rams receiver Isaac Bruce and received high praise.

"Isaac Bruce came here with the coach at Oklahoma State (they're friends from college) to check out film on Carlos –- Isaac had heard about the talent that we have and just wanted to come over to see," Melrose High coach Kenny Ingram said. "Isaac gave Carlos his highest compliment, said, `This kid is doing things that guys in the NFL aren't doing.'"

Now Armour is trying to live up to his potential.

He's been matched up against all of Miami's receivers this spring.

And he wasn't beaten during UM's scrimmage on Saturday.

"It feels good to be out there running around, having the opportunity to make plays," Armour said. "The defensive line got exceptional pressure up front which allowed me to make plays (in the scrimmage). The linebackers read their keys and flowed to the ball which allowed me to be in position to make the play."

Asked the toughest receiver on the team to cover, Armour evades the question.

The way he sees it, there should be no receiver he can't cover.

"I just read how they transition coming out of their breaks, what move they give off the line, and I just do my part," he says. "I just play my technique.

Armour says he thinks the UM defense this year will be "exceptional."

"There isn't another defense I've seen that runs like ours in college football," Armour said. "If everybody reads their keys, does their job, plays their role, there aren't any points to be scored on us."

Armour says he thinks he'll get a lot of playing time this season.

"This is my year," Armour says.

Then he repeats himself softly, almost to himself, "This is my year.
 10 years ago '04        #1157
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Thursday Randy Shannon Q&A

RANDY SHANNON Q&A

Q: What is the timetable for naming a starting quarterback?

Shannon: They will not be announced until the Tuesday before Marshall.

Shannon: I don't even know what the quarterbacks are doing. I'm trying to build up a team, and that's the one thing we're concentrating on. People don't understand this: Lance Leggett caught a ball in the scrimmage the other day (and celebrated). That's 15 yards. Down here today Khalil Jones scored a touchdown, threw the ball up. Instead of from the 3 on the extra point, we're on the 18. Those are things we've got to stop, and that's why I'm concentrating on the team aspect. When we start playing as a team, have a total team concept, then I'll worry about talking about other guys. Until then I can't.

Q: How is team morale right now?

Shannon: It's going well. There's a lot of excitement, a lot of enthusiasm. The guys are staying positive, and that's what we've tried to work on, building the chemistry of what we're trying to build as a team. Today we put the defense in some situations and they responded to some things and they didn't respond to other things. That's part of football and part of learning.

Q: Calais Campbell, talk about his play.

Shannon: I'm really not concentrating on Calais. I'm concentrating on the team, so when people ask about Calais, this person, I'm talking about the team. The more we keep pushing that way, the team will become pretty good.

Q: Is the offense or defense farther ahead right now?

Shannon: The defense is always going to be ahead because you have a new offense coming in, new players, a new scheme, new coaches. But they're doing fine. We're excited about what the offense is doing. We're giving them a lot of different looks, and we're keeping them thinking. Right now it's all about mental toughness. I'm trying to develop what we do as a team. The more we keep pushing that way, the team will become pretty good. When we start playing as a team and have a total team concept, then I will start talking about individual players. Until then, I can't.

Q: What are you looking for in the scrimmage tomorrow?

Shannon: Guys will just play, see who responds to what we've been working on this week. We've treated this week like a game week.

Q: What areas do you want to see improvement in?

Shannon: I want to see improvement in all areas. We have to improve on running the football, but we have to be consistent. When we have a chance to knock the defense out, we have to do that. And when the defense needs to control the offense, they have to do that. We can't play good for 30 plays and then for two plays not play good. Consistency is a big part of what we're doing.

* The tomorrow begins at 6 p.m. at Traz Powell Stadium in Miami. The scrimmage is open to the public and is free. Traz Powell Stadium is located at 11380 NW 27th Avenue. Fans should park on the west side of the stadium.

"It'll be great (for the fans)," Shannon said. "We're trying to get the fans out for support."

* The annual spring game and BankUnited CanesFest will be Saturday, April 7 at the Orange Bowl. The game begins at 10 a.m., and in addition to watching the 2007 version of the Hurricanes, fans will be able to select-a-seat and get autographs from their favorite players. Sebastian the Ibis and cheerleaders will be on hand to entertain fans, who can also purchase the latest apparel and merchandise. Gates open at 9 a.m.
 10 years ago '04        #1158
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
WR Hurt, Shannon makes Team Run

[pic - click to view]

* WR Lance Leggett injured his right knee toward the end of practice today and hobbled to the locker room with an ice bag around it. There is no word yet on the severity of the injury.
If he's out the remainder of the spring it will leave UM with only three healthy scholarship receivers: Sam Shields, Khalil Jones and Ryan Hill.

* Coach Randy Shannon wasn't happy with a defensive breakdown during practice today.

So he gathered the team together.

And had them run.

Something else Shannon wasn't happy with today: After a long touchdown grab by Khalil Jones, Jones celebrated by tossing the ball up in the air. That would merit a 15-yard penalty. But Shannon had his own punishment: Jones stayed on the field after practice for additional work.

"We had a hard practice," cornerback Randy Phillips said. "But all is well at the end of the day."

* The play of the day: A linebacker deflected a pass that appeared headed for an incompletion. But Kenny Phillips dove and batted the ball up just before it touched the ground. Colin McCarthy came up and ran back the interception.

That was one of McCarthy's two interceptions on the day. His second one was thrown right to him by QB Kirby Freeman, whose father had flown in from Texas to watch the team work out.

Graig Cooper had a pair of nice runs today.

"He's been just excellent," safety Lovon Ponder said. "He's breaking runs every day. He's just a good, smart player.

"He can help us a lot during the season. He's like a Devin Hester. I think he could play cornerback also. He's fast. It's hard to get him down once he gets moving."

* Offensive lineman Andrew Bain says the offense is doing well this spring.

"The offense as a whole has done a great job taking on the challenge of learning a new system, getting to know new coaches and a new staff, their philosophies and things like that," Bain said. "We hit the ground running from Day 1, understand where we need to go."

* Safety Lovon Ponder says of the secondary's play, despite missing injured Bruce Johnson and Glenn Sharpe, that "There's really no letdown. It's just other guys stepping in and making plays."

He says of the offense that "they can be real good. They have nice sets in. They've been moving the ball."

* Anthony Redd*ck has begun playing some cornerback in addition to his safety duties.

* The team will hold a scrimmage tomorrow at Traz Powell Stadium beginning at 6 p.m.

"We're going to go out and do what we're coached to do, play real hard," cornerback Randy Phillips said. "The fans, they'll like it because we're giving a lot of effort. It's like game time for me tomorrow. I have to strap it up and let the fans give a little glimpse of what they'll be getting during the season.

"It's another day to get better."
 10 years ago '04        #1159
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM freshman's hair, fleet feet make early impression

By Omar Kelly
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted March 30 2007

CORAL GABLES – Graig Cooper is trying his best to fit in with his new University of Miami teammates, but the highly touted freshman tailback can't help but stand out.

For one thing, he's the only Hurricane freshman with dreadlocks, which is unprecedented considering it's a long-standing tradition for UM's newcomers to have their heads shaved.

LocalLinks

Since Cooper showed up a semester later than he signed after having to attend prep school in the fall, the team's veterans haven't gotten around to his rite of passage yet. But he knows it's coming.

More importantly, Cooper's performance this spring has been so impressive new offensive coordinator Patrick Nix admits he's already working on special plays and formations to take advantage of Cooper's skills. He is being compared to former UM standout Devin Hester because of his ability to accelerate.

"That boy right there is explosive," defensive end Calais Campbell said of Tennessee's Mr. Football in 2005. Cooper's skills will be on display tonight at UM's open practice at Traz Powell Stadium.

"He's definitely a special guy," said projected starting tailback Javarris James, who seems excited about sharing the backfield with Cooper.

"He goes from zero to five fast. He's got that good explosion and excellent hands. We've already got sets where he's going to line up at receiver."

Cooper says having to attend prep school was humbling but has helped him mature. He said his focus is to make sure he takes care of academics, learns Miami's new offense and gains the trust of his teammates and coaches.

"This is a lot different from high school. I just have to learn a lot of the small things," said Cooper, who averaged 12.5 yards a carry at Milford Prep (N.Y.) while improving his test scores and raising his grade point average to gain acceptance into UM. "In high school, you only have to learn what you have to do. In college, you have to learn what everyone's got to do."

LEGGETT HURTS KNEE

Receiver Lance Leggett hurt his right knee during Thursday's practice and will likely miss today's practice, if not the rest of the spring. The extent of Leggett's knee injury won't be known for certain until an MRI is taken.
 10 years ago '04        #1160
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
196 comments
2 days ago