Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
SOULJA BOY GOONS steal MIGOS ´CHAIN !!!!!
114 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA NBA.COM fu-ked up.
122 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Slim Jesus Current State of Life
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Kidd Kidd EXPOSES Lil Wayne's Ghostwriters & SLAMS Him For His Black Li..
63 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 02-23-2007, 12:25 PM         #1001
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ebruary 23, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

New offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland hasn't worked with UM's linemen personally.

That won't happen until March 6, when spring practice begins.

But he's had a chance to review film of the linemen.

And it appears a facelift is in store for the starting five.

Last year's returning starters are left tackle Reggie Youngblood, right tackle Jason Fox, and guards Derrick Morse and Andrew Bain.

But only one of those four starters is expected to be at the same spot when drills begin: Bain.

It's expected the team will begin spring with Morse at center -– he is hoping to replace graduating center Anthony Wollschlager.

His backup for now is Matt Pipho. The status of injury-prone center A.J. Trump is unclear.

And that's not the only change.

It's expected that the team will begin the spring by trying Youngblood at right tackle with Fox at left tackle.

Filling in the open spot at first team guard for now is Chris Rutledge, who played tackle last year.

"That's the way it is right now, but everything's subject to change," Morse said. "That's how we have it set up so far. It may change in the spring after a couple of days."

Morse has never snapped in a game before -- including high school.

"As far as snapping on my own, it's going real well," Morse said.
 02-23-2007, 12:25 PM         #1002
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 23, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Miami Edison High School S Tyrone Williams is getting recruiting mail from programs like Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and Ole Miss.

But there's one school he wants to hear from: Miami.

"That's my dream college," said Williams, a 6-foot-2, 174-pounder with 4.5-second speed. "I just love that school. I've been rooting for Miami since I was fifth grade.
"If Miami offers: that would be it. I'd be there."

Williams is getting interest from some top programs despite missing most of his junior year with a torn ACL. He played in the team's first five games and says he'll be back full strength for his senior season.

Of what he wants in a college, Williams said, "I want to go where a team wins games and can win a championship."

He says "My teammates compare me to Sean Taylor in how I play."
 10 years ago '04        #1003
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1401 1401
 Cap Peeler said:
I don't even know why mid western linebackers go down there in the first place. These n*ggas is mad slow in the first place... they can't catch up with us. Wisconsin and Nebraska are good in lineman just because they be eating mad corn and they're huge but they ain't got no running skills whatsoever.
Anderson was a stud coming out of highschool...kid just fu*ked up. heard he stole some sh*t out of the locker room. and he wasnt willing to move to DT and insisted playing DE(at like 280 lbs)
 10 years ago '04        #1004
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Olsen Jukes The Pack
It appears Miami's record-setting 12-year streak of having a players selected in the first round of the NFL draft is safe for another season.

Greg Olsen's performance Saturday at the NFL combine has helped him distance himself from Arizona State's Zach Miller, and the rest of the tight end talent in the 2007 NFL draft. By posting a 4.47 40-yard dash time, then beating it with a 4.45 in his second run, Olsen established himself as the elite tight end of what's being considered a weak tight end class (READ STORY HERE).

Olsen's time was just shy of the fastest tight end time posted last year by Vernon Davis, which was a 4.43. By contrast, Miller ran a 4.83, which was still good for a tight end, but not eye-popping like what Olsen did.

The Hurricane was measured in at 6-foot-5, 254 pounds, benched 225-pounds 23 times, vertical jumped 35 1/2 inches, and also caught the ball well I'm told, showing he's a very "fluid runner."

He'll likely be the first tight end taken, and now all that's left to determine is which teams in the market for a tight end (Oakland, Chicago and Jets) really feel they can afford to take one in the first round, and how far up the second-half of the draft's first round will the law of supply and demand push him.
 10 years ago '04        #1005
jiggamanll 
space
space
$1,110 | Props total: 0 0
Damn i needed this thread in my life badly
 10 years ago '04        #1006
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 Playnogames305 said:
Olsen Jukes The Pack
It appears Miami's record-setting 12-year streak of having a players selected in the first round of the NFL draft is safe for another season.

Greg Olsen's performance Saturday at the NFL combine has helped him distance himself from Arizona State's Zach Miller, and the rest of the tight end talent in the 2007 NFL draft. By posting a 4.47 40-yard dash time, then beating it with a 4.45 in his second run, Olsen established himself as the elite tight end of what's being considered a weak tight end class (READ STORY HERE).

Olsen's time was just shy of the fastest tight end time posted last year by Vernon Davis, which was a 4.43. By contrast, Miller ran a 4.83, which was still good for a tight end, but not eye-popping like what Olsen did.

The Hurricane was measured in at 6-foot-5, 254 pounds, benched 225-pounds 23 times, vertical jumped 35 1/2 inches, and also caught the ball well I'm told, showing he's a very "fluid runner."

He'll likely be the first tight end taken, and now all that's left to determine is which teams in the market for a tight end (Oakland, Chicago and Jets) really feel they can afford to take one in the first round, and how far up the second-half of the draft's first round will the law of supply and demand push him.
Damn my n*gga Olsen ripped that sh*t.. i'm happy for that fool.

If only Kyle fu*king Wright had played consistent during the season, throwing it some more to Olsen.. sh*t.

The streak keeps on going.. hopefully. I hope the Dolphins take him, that'd be the sh*t.
 10 years ago '05        #1007
Clutch City Kid 81 heat pts81
space
space
$16,826 | Props total: 9412 9412
I totally agree with you ^^^^ Olsen should've been used 2x as much as he was this last year....i saw him over the middle wide open SOO many times and Wright couldnt find him....i hope Olsen has a great NFL career!! and i also hope he doesnt get the hate that people give Shockey
 10 years ago '04        #1008
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
people talk about shockey because he's very outspoken, i havent gotten that impression from olsen
he dropped alot of catchable passes during his career, but if he stays focused he'll be a stud for whoever gets him
 02-26-2007, 12:00 PM         #1009
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ebruary 26, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Expect the silent treatment from quarterbacks Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman this spring.

In what many consider the most important position battle of the spring as each seeks to prove he is the right man to run new coordinator Patrick Nix's offense, the media has already been informed that neither signal caller will be conducting interviews until spring drills are winding down.

It's no doubt an attempt to quell a looming quarterback controversy after both players essentially named themselves the starter late last year.

At the end of 2006, after missing the final part of the year with a broken hand, the senior Wright said of the quarterback situation that, "That competition is something I'm completely comfortable with, and I've proven twice that I'm the best quarterback. If I have to do it again, so be it."

Freeman, who is entering his junior year, declared after leading the team to a 17-14 win against Boston College last year that "As of right now I'm the starter."

Still, Wright has the edge in experience and many think he will be the ultimate choice. He has two years of starting experience; Freeman started the final four games last year after Wright underwent surgery.

Both quarterbacks are working with the team's third offensive coordinator in three years.

Wright finished last year hitting on 152 of 250 passes for 1,655 yards with eight touchdowns and seven interceptions.

It was a disappointing follow to a season in which he tied for the ACC lead with 18 touchdown passes along with 2,403 yards and a 58.6 completion percentage.

Wright says he played all last season with a slight fracture but that it became a bigger fracture against Virginia Tech.

"I did it the third play of the game -- that's when I knew it was the worst it had been," Wright said. "It was completely separated and turned on its side from the bone. We had to fix that, and a ligament also."

Freeman saw the first significant action of his Cane career after Wright was injured.

He finished last year hitting on 59 of 108 passes for 872 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions.

He is more elusive than Wright and scrambled for 182 yards (not including yards lost on sacks).

"This team responded well to me, and I've tried to do my best to be a good leader in all the right ways," Freeman said late last year.

Freeman will certainly be an intriguing option for Nix, who coached the mobile Reggie Ball at Georgia Tech. Freeman is more mobile than Wright but made a lot of mistakes while starting last season.

So which quarterback will win the job?

Nix said he may not announce a starting quarterback this spring.

And, if both quarterbacks struggle, that could open the door for playing time for true freshman Robert Marve, who will arrive in the summer. Nix has started a true freshman quarterback on offense before at Georgia Tech and has said he'll give Marve a look when he arrives.

But the Canes hope it won't come to that.

If either Wright or Freeman step up their game and prove they have what it takes this spring, that would go a long way to get rid of fears that the offense will struggle again in 2007.

With what promises to be intense spring competition between the two in spring drills, Nix was asked what he'll do if friction develops between them.

"They're going to get along," Nix said. "If they don't we're going to have a serious issue. I'll be the one to address it, and coach [Randy] Shannon will take care of that. That won't be an issue.

"Just because guys are competing for a job, it doesn't mean you're not going to get along. I think the media likes to portray that, from NFL all the way down -- `Oh, there's competition here so let's see if we can get some division here and divide a team or something like that.' It's not going to happen here. We're all on the same team, we're all doing it for the same reason. That's to win a national championship."

02-26-2007, 12:01 PM         #1010
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 26, 2007

CaneSport.com has reported in the last two weeks on some Miami Northwestern players that are getting early interest from the Hurricanes.

Add another.

Northwestern offensive lineman Terell k!llings says he is receiving regular recruiting letters from the University of Miami.

He's also getting mail from programs like Florida and Ole Miss.

But he knows where he wants to go if he can earn a UM scholarship.

"I've been following Miami since I was a little boy," said k!llings, a 6-foot-4, 295-poudner who plays guard in high school. "My whole family roots for Miami. My dad is friends with Randy Shannon -- they've known each other for a little while."

Killings' father is a former Bethune-Cookman defensive end/linebacker.

Killings said he'd like to see a lot of Northwestern rising seniors wind up at Miami.

"Hopefully a lot of us go to Miami like Lakeland went to Florida -- it can be something like that," k!llings said.
 02-26-2007, 12:01 PM         #1011
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 25, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Pompano Beach Ely OL Chad Alcime says he hears regular comparisons to a current Hurricane player: Former Ely lineman Cyrim Wimbs.

The two are built along similar lines, although Alcime is taller –- he's 6-foot-6 and 343 pounds.

He cuts an intimidating figure.

And college coaches have taken note.

"I've gotten letters from Miami -- they sent offers for (recruiting) tickets last year to games," Alcime said. "In the letters they tell me the different majors they have, things on campus I can do. I get letters from them every week or two."

He lists the Big 3 in Florida as his top three.

He says all three are even.

And he grew up rooting for one school in particular.

"I root for Miami," he says. "I've been rooting for them for the last five years now."

A three-year starter, Alcime says he doesn't know where he gets his height –- his father is 6-foot-1, and the tallest member of his extended family is a 6-foot-4 uncle.
 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM         #1012
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 24, 2007

Everglades (FL) High School WR Cedric Fraser says he bumped into coach Randy Shannon at his school last year.

"I didn't get to talk to him because I'm still a junior," said Fraser (NCAA rules prevented Shannon from talking to him).

But Fraser is talking, and he says the University of Miami is where he'd like to wind up.

"I really would like to attend Miami," Fraser said. "I've been waiting to go to that school since I was very young, in Optimist. I always rooted for them and my cousin, John Wood, went there."

Fraser is getting recruiting mail from Wisconsin, NC State, Wake Forest and Florida among others. He's waiting on his first contact from UM.

Last year the 6-foot-3, 175-pounder had 30 receptions for 350 yards and five touchdowns.

Fraser says he attended a practice last year when Larry Coker was the coach.

"I really liked it," he said. "We went to the campus, saw the practice, went in the weight room. It was impressive."
 10 years ago '04        #1013
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
Canes' mystique lives on
UM's hopefuls at the NFL combine believe the school's history of successful draft picks will help their cause.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

[pic - click to view]

GOOD IMPACT: UM's Greg Olsen showed impressive speed at the NFL scouting combine.

INDIANAPOLIS -- They call it a breeding ground, where high school hotshots are groomed into NFL stars.

Pro coaches know it. General managers know it. And every potential player who signs with the University of Miami knows it. That's because history has proved it.

''I really, truly believe I'm at an advantage,'' said Hurricanes linebacker Jon Beason, who left school a year early to enter the NFL Draft. ``When you come to the University of Miami, and you play linebacker, you want to be like those guys.

``You have some big shoes to fill.''

But shouldn't this year be different? After such a tumultuous season, with the mounting losses and never-ending issues, wouldn't it only make sense for UM's pipeline to the NFL also take a dive?

Logically, that might make sense.

''If you look at the draft numbers over the years, they had that run where they had 19 first-round picks in a four-year period,'' NFL Draft analyst Mike Mayock said. ``That's certainly come down a little bit since the program is down a little bit.''

However, just when it seemed a drop-off might make sense, the modest group of seven Hurricanes at this week's scouting combine (which is modest only by UM's standards) might have managed to help save the reputation for another year.

OLSEN'S IMPACT

The most impressive splash? Tight end Greg Olsen.

After an otherwise lackluster college career, Olsen decided to leave the Hurricanes with a year of eligibility remaining, since he already had his degree and believed he had the size and strength to succeed in the league.

''I played a lot of games at the college level the past three years,'' said Olsen, who was measured at 6-6 and 258 pounds. ``So I thought I was ready.''

One problem: He had only one 100-yard receiving game as a Hurricane, and he certainly had yet to merit comparisons to other UM tight end greats such as Kellen Winslow Jr. and Jeremy Shockey.

During this week's combine, when he posted a blazing time of 4.45 seconds, he might have made a distinct point: He didn't make a huge impact in Miami. But he still is a product of the Hurricanes.

That, Beason said, can go a long way during preparations for the draft. Even if you aren't one of the school's biggest stars, you are still constantly surrounded by former players that were.

DOSE OF CONFIDENCE

'Those guys are going to come back and say, `Hey Beason, you're not doing that right,' '' said Beason, referring to former linebacker alumni such as Jonathan Vilma. ``But more than anything, [the alumni] actually give you confidence. They tell you that we'll be surprised how quickly we'll dominate as soon as we learn the scheme.

``It's a good feeling to have them reinforce us, rather than leave us with that nervousness that most people have. We don't have that same nervousness.''

As a result, the Hurricanes appear likely to keep some important streaks intact.

After nearly ending last year (until defensive back Kelly Jennings was chosen with the 31st pick of the first round), UM extended its streak of first-round picks in the draft to 12 years.

Because of Beason and Olsen -- two early departures -- it likely will extend to 13.

''I think Jon Beason is a first-round linebacker, and Olsen just had a fantastic [combine],'' Mayock said. ``In a very poor tight end draft, I think Olsen is probably at the top end of that as a first-round tight end.

``So I think you'll see at least two first-round players from the U this year.''

Across the state, it is clear Florida's dominant season also translated into more potential NFL success this year, having a combine-high 13 players invited to the event. But UM still beat out Florida State, which had five players invited. Florida International also was represented at the combine by linebacker Antwan Barnes and wide receiver Chandler Williams.

NFL MENTALITY

But none of UM's seven (running back Tyrone Moss, wide receiver Ryan Moore, safety Brandon Meriweather, defensive tackle Kareem Brown, defensive end Baraka Atkins, Beason and Olsen) has yet to be drafted.

So until they have that chance, several players said they would continue to train with the NFL mentality that led them to sign with UM in the beginning -- instead of focusing on all of the adversity they faced in the end.

''I feel like we train differently from others,'' Moss said. ``We're prepared, we may know the game a little bit better than others. At the next level, I think a running back from Miami is going to prove it.''
 10 years ago '04        #1014
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Shannon believes Canes will be able to win again
By Joe Schad
ESPN.com

When Randy Shannon thinks about growing up in the Liberty City section of Miami, the first thing that comes to mind is all the grandmothers who used cherry tree branches to spank the children they saw misbehaving.

Randy Shannon
David Adame/AP Photo
Randy Shannon coordinated the Miami defense during 2001-06 and played for the Canes from 1985 through '88.

"Everybody in the projects took care of each other," said Shannon, Miami's first-year head coach. "In my life, there were plenty of times you went three or four days wearing the same clothes, but we had food on the table and you had better be there when served."

Shannon boasts of his mother, a nurse's aide who cleaned office buildings at night. He speaks less often of what they survived together.

When Shannon was 3, his father was murdered. Since then, he's lost three drug-afflicted siblings to AIDS and saw one brother jailed for stealing Shannon's identity. All of this puts the challenge of taking over a Canes program rich in tradition and championships, but on a downward slide over the past five seasons, in perspective.

"I don't dwell on those things and I will never go in the tank," said Shannon, a former Miami linebacker and longtime a.ssistant. "I will never feel my world is coming down. You have to control the world. You can never let it control you."

Shannon, the top choice among players to succeed Larry Coker and a man known for his tough-love approach, tells his players the world isn't fair. And perhaps it would not have been fair if one of the most successful defensive coordinators in the country, a 41-year-old who embodies what it means to be a Cane, had been passed over.

"When I came to Miami I sought out Randy Shannon and asked him about the way they played, about the tradition of the place," said Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson, who as Miami coach in 1991 hired Shannon as a graduate a.ssistant. Miami won a national championship that year, one of five the Canes have claimed since 1983.

"Randy understands the core of the University of Miami more than anybody else and that's why he's the perfect fit for this job," Erickson said. "Those players can identify with him because when they talk to him, they're talking to somebody who's been through it; somebody who's been through so much in his life."

Miami lost six games last season, including five in the ACC. Shannon took a job that was passed on by Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, and he takes personally the perception that it's no longer considered a top-notch position.

"You have to ask yourself, 'Can Miami win a national championship this year?'" Shannon said. "Well, how many other teams in America can say that? A lot of other people think it's not a great job because they get caught up in the money. Are you in it for winning and for the kids or are you in it for the money?"

Miami's athletic department cannot spend freely and some facility improvements are overdue. Shannon also tries to debunk perceptions about crime and violence in South Florida. Miami's rivals reminded recruits of the brawl with FIU and the murder of Bryan Pata last season to dissuade them from joining the Canes, but Shannon still landed the nation's ninth-rated class, according to ESPN's Scouts Inc.

"This isn't a perception that's come about over the last five years," Shannon said. "How about the last 20 or 22 or 26 years? The whole stereotype started with "Miami Vice" and the thought that we were all about drug lords and shootings. You know what? The same things that have happened at Miami have happened at other campuses."

Shannon went so far as to draw a parallel between the labeling of Miami as a renegade program and that of him as a minority coach.

"Randy understands the core of the University of Miami more than anybody else and that's why he's the perfect fit for this job. Those players can identify with him because when they talk to him they're talking to somebody who's been through it; somebody who's been through so much in his life."
-- Former Miami head coach Dennis Erickson

"My senior year, Notre Dame had three f!ghts and nobody said anything about it," he said. "What everyone should do is accept that Miami is just a regular program. Just like me. I'm a regular coach. Don't stereotype the program and don't stereotype me and put me along with Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith and Karl Dorrell. Just call me a coach of a football program and we'd all be better off."

Asked if there's something he wishes more people knew, Shannon said that Miami led the ACC with eight academic All-Americans last season.

"People think we're just a football factory," Shannon said. "In general, you'd say we're a program that produces top picks, right? Well, we've got most All-Americans in the ACC. Over Duke. Over North Carolina. Over Boston College."

On the field, Miami was nearly upset at Duke last season, one example of what Shannon candidly means when he said that last season, at times, "I think guys got relaxed." It's about not accepting mediocrity, a lesson he took from Jimmy Johnson, the head coach when Shannon played for the Canes and who coached the Cowboys during Shannon's two years as a player with Dallas.

It's also about what Shannon learned from former Miami coach Butch Davis.

"He always had you on edge," Shannon said. "Everything was a panic. No comfort zone. If you had to sign three linebackers, he wanted four. With Butch, you never knew where he was coming from."

Shannon has a list of strict rules. Among them: no hats or cell phones in the football facility and no hats at dinner. He also sets aside time to speak with his players about how to treat women.

"You open the door for a young lady," Shannon says sternly.

Shannon has studied in Miami classrooms, been a Canes graduate a.ssistant, defensive line coach, linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. And more than anything, he understands what Miami football means to the city in which he was raised.

"If you want to go someplace where things stay the same and there's no pressure, leave Miami," Shannon said. "In this city, it's all about winning. This city thrives on the University of Miami. The team is upbeat, the city is upbeat, it's something to have pride in, when we're winning. We've won a lot. And we're going to win more."

Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter.
 03-01-2007, 01:30 AM         #1015
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 28, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

DERRICK MORSE Q&A

Q: What are your thoughts on the offensive line entering the spring?

Morse: We have pretty much everybody coming back except Woll (Anthony Wollschlager). A lot of guys got experience last year. We should be pretty experienced. Even though it's a new offense we're all picking it up and learning it and doing the best we can.

Q: What's your take on new line coach Jeff Stoutland?

Morse: I think he's a great coach so far. We haven't got to work with him too much yet but he seems like a great guy, really knows his stuff.

Q: You used to do morning runs this time of year. Now they're afternoon runs since Randy Shannon wants it to be tougher in the heat.

Morse: It's coach Shannon's thing, and I think it's a big difference. It's been real tough, intense. Everyone's excited and working hard.

Q: What is the mood of the team right now?

Morse: It's a fresh start for everybody so there's that competition everywhere, new coaches, a new head coach. Everyone's real hungry, so that competition is real hungry which will make us better as a team. We had an upsetting season last year and can't wait to come out and do something great this year.

Q: You are going to try playing center?

Morse: We didn't have a center, so coach Stoutland wanted to try and see if anyone wanted to do it and I said I'd be willing to do it, to do whatever it takes to help the team win. I'll start out the spring at center and Matt Pipho is the backup center.

Q: In the past there was a lot of spring shuffling on the line. Could more be in store this spring?

Morse: We haven't distinguished anything yet as far as set positions, pre-spring, whatever. It's placing our selves in there where we think we'll be. I've got to expect I'll be at center for right now.

Q: Why change things around with four starters returning on the line?

Morse: It's a new coach. He's only analyzed us by what he's seen on tape. He's not going to really know till we get out in practice. Nothing's set in stone.

Q: What does the line need to accomplish this spring?

Morse: I just think we have to go out and try to be physical with the defense. Our defense is great, so if we can be successful against our defense we can be successful against anybody.
 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM         #1016
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 28, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

The wide receiver position is extremely thin this spring. While UM waits for an influx of true freshmen in the summer and the Canes currently have seven scholarship receivers, there isn't much proven depth here.

Leggett must get his head in the game
Leading the way will be Lance Leggett, who has not yet lived up to his potential and needs to continue to show he has reliable hands, and Sam Shields, who showed flashes as a true freshman in 2006.

Shields finished last year with 37 catches for 501 yards and four scores, and don't be surprised if he emerges as one of the spring's biggest stars. Leggett suffered mental breakdowns last year, with numerous penalties and some drops, and must show his head is back in the game. He had 38 catches for 584 yards in 2006.

After those two there are a lot of question markes.

Ryan Hill has plenty of play-making potential, and a.ssuming he remains on offense instead of switching back to cornerback he could work his way into the two-deep. Hill only had eight catches for 77 yards last year and had a costly drop against Maryland.

It remains to be seen how Darnell Jenkins responds coming off a medical redshirt. He played in three games last year before suffering a knee injury and has never lived up to the big-play potential he was supposed to possess coming out of high school.

Khalil Jones enters his junior year with dropsies continuing to be a problem. He had just five catches last year.

George Robinson redshirted last year due to injury and, coming in from a run-based high school offense, will likely need more seasoning before becoming a big part of the offense.

Terrell Walden is speedy but undersized and will never be 100 percent coming off multiple ACL tears. He will be a role playe.
 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM         #1017
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 27, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

JAVARRIS JAMES Q&A

Q: What have been working on the most this off-season?

James: I've just been working on my speed and things in the weight room. I've improved a lot in the weight room. My max in the squat is 525; last year it was 500. I notice I'm faster. We haven't tested in it yet, but right now I'm at 210 and don't have that much body fat. Last year I weighed 214.

Q: What are your initial thoughts on freshman tailback Graig Cooper?

James: That's my boy. We were getting recruited together coming in. I'm happy to see him here. He's a great player. I've been trying to help him out. That was me last year. I told him if he has any questions just ask me. He has excellent speed and good hands.

We've done 7 on 7 as a team, just working out, and he works out real well. He came in in great shape. And he just loves to work.

Q: What do you like about coach Patrick Nix's offense?

James: What I like about it is it's a lot of downhill running. I'm used to that. He's a real intense guy. And coach (Tommie) Robinson, I like him a lot. He's the best guy to hang around off the field, and on the field he's going to be intense. He wants us to be the best we can be.

Q: Can you sense yet if this team is different than last year?

James: I just see us as a team being a lot better than we were. When we're running, doing afternoon runs, everyone's pushing each other. It's a lot different.

Q: What is Randy Shannon like as head coach?

James: He wants guys to do the right thing. He wants the best out of you, wants you to work hard. He's a real cool coach. He just wants you to do everything right, go to class, work out hard, and if not he'll let you know. Sometimes he'll get on you or sit you down and tell you what is going on.

Q: Who is working in at fullback?

James: Jerrell Mabry is working there, and James Bryant.

Q: How will the offense deal with losing Greg Olsen?

James: Greg Olsen is a great tight end, one of the top ones that will be taken (in the NFL Draft). DajLeon Farr and Chris Zellner are ready to step into their role. The teacher's gone, now it's time for them to do their thing.

Q: What are your goals for 2007?

James: Just progressing, hopefully get a national championship. I don't have any personal goal. If we win the title and I have no yards that's fine.

Q: What is the key for the running back position this spring?

James: Just getting used to the offense, that's going to be the biggest thing. It's similar in some ways to last year's offense, but we throw last year out the window.
 03-01-2007, 01:32 AM         #1018
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 27, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

The tailback position has some talent this spring and will benefit even more in the summer with the arrivals of freshmen Shawnbrey McNeal and Lee Chambers.

Jones hopes to fit in somewhere.
One true freshman, Graig Cooper, is already on campus and will participate this spring. His ability level has been compared to Reggie Bush's, so it will be interesting to see how coaches opt to use him.

Cooper is hoping to share some carries in 2007 with last year's starter, sophomore Javarris James.

James doesn't have tremendous breakaway speed like Cooper, but he is a strong runner and good receiver out of the backfield.

He showed a tremendous combination of toughness, power and vision last year, averaging 4.7 yards per carry with 802 net yards and four touchdowns. And he says he's bigger, faster and stronger this spring.

Other backs that will try to work in are Charlie Jones, Kylan Robinson and Derron Thomas.

Jones rushed for 507 yards two years ago but never got anything going last year and rarely saw action. He finished with 206 yards and four touchdowns. Robinson remains a work in progress after redshirting last year as a freshman, but he has excellent raw physical skills. It appears as though Thomas will remain a role player who will see spot carries here and there. Thomas had 21 carries for 159 yards and one touchdown last year.

At fullback the Canes have James Bryant, who is a tremendous talent but has always sabotaged himself with suspensions. He will have to get his off-field act in gear if he wants to have any chance to play for coach Randy Shannon. Jerrell Mabry is also hoping to get his Cane career untracked. He has battled to lose weight and could be a decent lead blocker if he works himself into shape. Depending on how things go this spring the Canes could also move Jones to fullback. He has the size to play there and would also be able to get some work catching the ball out of the backfield in that capacity.

Tight end Chris Zellner will also line up in front of the tailback as an H-back.
 10 years ago '04        #1019
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Q: What are your initial thoughts on freshman tailback Graig Cooper?

James: That's my boy. We were getting recruited together coming in. I'm happy to see him here. He's a great player. I've been trying to help him out. That was me last year. I told him if he has any questions just ask me. He has excellent speed and good hands.

We've done 7 on 7 as a team, just working out, and he works out real well. He came in in great shape. And he just loves to work.

motherfu*kin right i can't wait for this duo in the backfield.

fu*k Oklahoma and FSU we gon' tear both of 'em mufucccaas arggggg!!!! can't wait for the season and this gay a.ss baseball sh*t to be over!
 03-01-2007, 06:43 PM         #1020
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
March 1, 2007

Mark Wheeler
GatorBait.net

Get in the Game! Pre register now for the Rivals.com BracketBattle game for your chance to win 1 MILLION Dollars! Join a GBN League or go HERE and create your own league and form office pools (using GBN as your home site)

GatorBait.net kicked off its coverage of the class of 2008 with our Ten Top Targets and a comprehensive, in depth look at Florida's first Junior Day of this recruiting cycle. The next big event on the calendar is the Junior Day to be held on March 24th. From now until then we will unveil our pre spring top targets position by position in our Five to Follow series.

Unlike last year, quarterback won't be as much of a priority this time around. However, in the past recruiting coordinator Chuck Heater has said that the Gators will try to land at least one signal caller each and every recruiting cycle. This past week, in an interview with Marty Cohen, offensive coordinator Dan Mullen reintegrated that fact.

The question is, after signing three Rivals100 high school quarterbacks and a junior college transfer in the last two years, realistically can Florida expect to sign a top player at the position this recruiting cycle?

An easy answer would be not likely, but then again, with the way this staff recruits, nothing is out of the question.

With that in mind watch the Gators to try to sign one top prospect (high four or five star) or at least a player who plays quarterback in high school, but could project to another position on the next level.

For our purposes and rankings at the quarterback position, we are going on the a.ssumption, based on the three dual-threat quarterbacks Urban Meyer has signed while with the Gators, that he prefers a quarterback who is able to make plays with his arm and legs.

A couple of highly rated prospects such as Cleveland (Ohio) Heights athlete Travis Kelce and Jeannette's (Pa.) Terrelle Pryor could easily have made the list. Both fit the bill as players who could project to another position on the next level, but landing one of these two out of area kids looks to be (even as early as it is) the longest of longshots.

Using the criteria set above, these are not the top five kids on the board, they are the top five prospects to keep an eye on at the position over the spring evaluation period in order to gauge the Gators and/or prospect's interest level.

GatorBait.net's pre-spring top five lists are based on national ranking and of course whether or not Florida is showing interest at this time. One player having an offer this early doesn't necessarily mean he will be a higher priority throughout the process. Therefore it doesn't mean he will be rated higher on our list. What you see here is solely the opinion of the staff of GatorBait.net and does not represent the opinion of the University of Florida or anyone a.ssociated with the Gator program.

1) D.C. Jefferson / Winter Haven (Fla.) / 6-foot-5, 237, 4.76

What was Said: "I'm looking for a program where I won't have to wait a long time. At the same time with my decision the right school I'm not going to rush into the decision. I will take the five visits, then come home and discuss the decision with the family and decide which school is the most comfortable and best fit for me not only as a player, but a student as well."

Competition: Tennessee, Ole Miss, Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State.

The Skinny: He's been on Florida's campus several times including the Junior Day last spring (one of the only players in attendance who was a sophomore at the time) and then at Friday Night Lights. That first quote from him above, is probably going to make this a steep hill for the Gators to climb, but he is definitely one of the top players at the position in the southeast this year.

Watch video highlights of Jefferson by clicking here.

2) Kyle Parker / Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail / 6-foot-1, 190, 4.6

What was Said: "First off let me say that when I make my decision I want it to be final which is why I had to cover every area in looking at each school."

Competition: Committed to Clemson.

The Skinny: How deep is Florida at quarterback, deep enough that the first two players on our list are basically up hill battles so to speak in that Jefferson wants to play early and Parker has already made his commitment to another program. If Florida is going to go after a top kid, it makes sense to try to reel one in who is closer to home – where maybe not seeing the field early perhaps won't be as big a deal with family around to offer support. Parker has never mentioned the Gators, but of all the quarterbacks in the state, no one matches up with what Florida wants to do at the position as well as Parker – he can move and he has a better than average, but not great, arm. He seems to be intent on attending Clemson, but then again John Brantley and James Wilson seemed to want to leave the state early last year as well. If Florida doesn't stop by to see him over the spring, he'll be off the next five to follow, until then he is the best fit instate for what Florida likes to do.

Watch video highlights of Parker by clicking here.

3) Will Hill / Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep / 6-foot-3, 200, 4.4

What was Said: "Michigan, and Florida, and USC, and Florida State, and Miami, and UCLA. Those are, I guess, his top six or seven at this point, but it's too early to tell," said St. Peter's Prep head coach Rich Hansen. "I think he's pretty much wide open at this point. He's running, and he's lifting, and he's studying, and he's doing everything he needs to do at this point. So we'll see what May brings, and make some unofficials, see some spring action, and then go from there."

Competition: Has multiple programs interested from coast to coast including Michigan, UCLA, Southern Cal and the big three in the state of Florida.

The Skinny: Why does Hill make the list when both Kelce and Pryor were left off? Because Florida has had better success recruiting New Jersey lately than they have had in either Ohio or Pennsylvania. Plus, Hill probably projects more to another position than do the other two.

Watch video highlights of Hill by clicking here.

4) Jacory Harris / Miami (Fla.) Northwestern / 6-foot-4, 178, 4.8

What was Said: Last year he passed for 2,920 yards with 38 touchdowns and six interceptions. He also rushed for 220 yards and two more scores. "People compare me to Chris Leak in my playing style," he says. "My physical look, people say Vince Young."

Competition: It depends on who ultimately offers. Right now he has them from Duke, Ohio and Pittsburgh.

The Skinny: It's a given that early on, Miami is looking strong at Northwestern – however, it is still early on. This could be the type of kid Florida might focus on if they realize that because of the depth chart situation, none of the national guys want any part of the Gators. But on the other hand, Florida likely won't be playing with anywhere near twenty-seven scholarships to offer (there would have to be a tremendous amount of attrition). If taking him, gets you a package deal with a couple of the other highly touted prospects at the school, maybe you go that route?

5) Justin Tuggle / Duluth (Ga.) Northview / 6-foot-3, 205, 4.75

What was Said: "I'm definitely looking at all schools and their quarterback situation," Tuggle said. "I will look at the coaching staff and see where I feel at home and then looking at the campuses and see where I can see myself staying for four years."

Competition: LSU, Georgia Tech, Nebraska and Alabama join the Gators as programs that have been in contact.

The Skinny: He was supposed to have been at the Gators first Junior Day of the year (unconfirmed whether he made it in). Tuggle is a kid to watch over the spring to see what kind of interest he draws from the teams who are now in contact. He makes the list primarily because of his dual threat ability along with the fact that perhaps he could continue to add weight and move to another position such as linebacker (where his father was an NFL standout for many years).
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside which heaux you trynna turn into a housewife??
150 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
99 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pink Toe With Ridiculous Buns
85 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
163 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Alien: Covenant Footage Just Screened And The Reactions Are In
31 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Introduction to Pizzagate
131 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING First Official Trailers
178 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
126 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy