Image(s) inside ATL Strikes again
19 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Charlamagne hanging out with Tomi Lahren in Times Square
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Blac Youngsta puts $250,000 cash on counter at gas station kwiki-mart
13 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 02-07-2007, 02:19 PM         #841
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Scouts has us at 11 best in the ACC too
 10 years ago '04        #842
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
wtf.. that's why i don't pay attention to those recruiting websites and their rankings... they're bias as fu*k. They usually make up the top classes with the teams they wanna see up there...

rivals has the canes behind alabama?? the fu*k? haven't they seen that Randy Shannon has snatched almost every Saban recruit?
 10 years ago '06        #843
FullTimeHustla 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$1,642 | Props total: 1 1
 RakimAllahNY said:
ESPN is retarded everywhere else has Miami as the best in the ACC
i think they havent factored in damien berry and the other three recruits that havent signed there LOI yet but i dont know i might be wrong

fu*k where we rank we got some good recruits that will bleed orange and green!
unbelievable what shannon has done in his first year and we on top of the ACC!
 02-07-2007, 02:24 PM         #844
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its crazy and they have Florida 1 but if you look at USC you would take there class. 5 in the top 17.. Best two Running backs...
 10 years ago '04        #845
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
^^chea for real...

but like hustla said

fu*k where we rank.

These boys is gonna ball out next year and they'll push the starters and especially Kyle Wright's bi*ch a.ss.
 02-07-2007, 02:30 PM         #846
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Plus we all know rankings dont mean sh*t. Reed wasnt highly recruited. Leonard Hankerson is a 3 star but to me he will be the star of the offensive side the next couple years.
 10 years ago '06        #847
space
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
Plus we all know rankings dont mean sh*t. Reed wasnt highly recruited. Leonard Hankerson is a 3 star but to me he will be the star of the offensive side the next couple years.
co sign, wasnt brandon meriweather a low 3 star ??? and had a bunch of D talkbacks ranked ahead of him, and we all know how that turned out:D :D
 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM         #848
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 7, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Berry bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Belle Glade (FL) Glades Central High School defensive back Damien Berry was a Hurricane all the way.

His father Kenny played for Miami from 1987-89. And Berry committed early and stuck by it.

He has signed his letter-of-intent with Miami.

Damien doesn't plan on wearing his father's old uniform number.

"Randy Phillips has his number now," Berry said. "I'm going to make my own name. I don't want to live in the shadow of my dad."

Berry played running back in high school but will play defensive back in college.

The 5-foot-11, 205-pounder with 4.4-second speed missed two games his junior year at Suncoast because of a knee injury. He still had 530 rushing yards and five touchdowns along with three interceptions on defense.

As a sophomore he had four interceptions, over 500 rushing yards and 300 more all-purpose yards. He finished with 14 total touchdowns.

This past season he had 1,080 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Berry suffered a torn ACL and partially torn MCL and PCL in the fifth game of the year but continued to play on the bad knee.

He had surgery in Miami Dec. 26 and is currently rehabbing.

Berry is still working on qualifying.

"It's coming along well," he said. "I'll be fine."
 10 years ago '07        #849
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,219 | Props total: 7 7
anything dealing with rankings in college sucks a.ss
 02-07-2007, 03:00 PM         #850
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
DT to Florida
 10 years ago '04        #851
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
so has signed a letter of intent?
 02-07-2007, 04:44 PM         #852
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 7, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

First-year head coach Randy Shannon has inked his initial recruiting class.

And he's giddy with the results.

"We're excited about this class," Shannon said. "I know one thing -- from top to bottom we filled our needs. We got competition on this team completely. We've got quarterbacks, receivers, offensive linemen, defensive linemen, running backs and wide receivers. The one position we have to find more competition at is the kickers. We'll find a kicker and punter because we're going to put pressure on those guys. Competition, that's what we're going to have at Miami. Guys are going to push themselves to be the best. If not, we're going to go to the next guy. Every home we went into, we told every player `We're recruiting you this year coming up. Next year we're gong to find a guy to replace you.' We were upfront and honest. You're at the University of Miami, and they're going to try to find someone else to take my place next year. That makes that guy pick his game up and the next guy pick his game up. The more we can get that competition going we're going to be successful at the University of Miami. I have confidence we're going to get that done."

Here's what else Shannon was talking about:

Opening statement: First and foremost I want to thank the parents of the student-athletes we recruited. Because I think the parents played a big part in what we have at the University of Miami -- through all the things this university has been through the parents really trusted our staff, the football operations from Paul Dee, Donna Shalala, the provost all the way down. When you trust the University of Miami, good things happen. Next and foremost we wanted to go out and find high-quality people, find guys who have great character, are good kids in the community. We went around and asked students, schools, the counselors, principals, security guards, janitors, and when they tell us these are great people that you're going to try to recruit at the University of Miami, those are guys that we're going to go after. That's the first thing we looked at as a staff. Second we want a solid student-athlete, guys who will work in the classroom, not just show up one day, then three days later miss class. We wanted to make sure they're solid student-athletes all-around. The next thing is we tried to find big-time athletes. That's the one thing this program's always been around athletes, no matter if you're a defensive back that can play running back, receiver, line up at quarterback and do kickoff returns. That's how you win games, you get guys like that athletically on your team. We recruited maybe 10 guys that can go back and forth from running back, wide receiver, defensive back or kickoff returner. That's how you are successful and score points. The next thing is we wanted to find is winners, guys from winning programs. The one thing you always look at, you look at the trends. If you recruit an athlete that's been 3-9, 3-7, 2-8, 1-9, he's used to losing. That won't ever happen. It's too hard to get this guy to win. So we try to find winning programs, 7-3, 8-2, winning state championships, 11-0, 10-0. Those guys know what it takes to win. They know how to win, get the job done. They want to make sure that at all costs they aren't going to let the program down, the coaches down, their teammates down.

Q: What was the most challenging part of your first recruiting class?

Shannon: It was hard for me because I couldn't go on the road like I used to [NCAA rules allow only one in-home visit by the head coach]. I used to go into a school six or seven times. That was hard. You have one shot now, you go in a home and you have to sell what the University has and what you believe in as a coach and coaching staff. And that takes two hours. Before I'd go in a home five times, seven times. I can go in and sit for two hours one time, go to the school another time, go back and meet with the parents, meet with the girlfriend. Now it's kind of hard.

Q: What was your overall philosophy in recruiting?

Shannon: To get the best quality players. Not the best players. Quality. I look at a lot of sports these days and I see the big name guys are really trying to tear down this sport. One player is not going to make this team at the University of Miami. It's not. If you get quality athletes it's going to be a great thing going here at the University of Miami. You might be a great athlete, but you might be detrimental to your team. You can't win that way.

Q: What specific areas were you honing in on?

Shannon: Positions everything. If we were able to sign five defensive linemen, we'd have signed five defensive linemen. If we could have found three quarterbacks, we'd have signed three quarterbacks. We need competition, and that's the one thing we said we were going to do.

Q: Was maintaining the kids that committed early a priority?

Shannon: A priority was going after the guys that committed to us in the first week. After that we branched off into whatever needs we had, any players we found, new guys coming aboard. From that point we went out as a staff and did those things.

Q: How were you able to put the class together with a short staff?

Shannon: It really wasn't a short staff. You're only allowed seven [coaches] on the road anyway. Other coaches when you go through recruiting you're only allowed seven guys on the road, so [the rest] have to sit home in the office anyway. The one thing we had to do was, as a staff, keep selling what we believe in at the University of Miami. That's the only thing we kept saying, what we were going to do on offense, what we were going to do on defense, what we were going to do on special teams, what type of coaches we were bringing in. Those were things we stressed all the time. The parents trusted us and believed in us. That's why I want to thank the parents.

Q: Are you leaving spots open?

Shannon: You always have to leave spaces open. People keep forgetting Ray Lewis was signed in May. Russell Maryland was signed [late]. We're always going to leave space open for great athletes and great student-athletes in the long run.

Q: Receivers was obviously a priority.

Shannon: We attacked the receiver position very hard. Everybody that we went and looked at that can play receiver and defensive back, those are guys that we want. And some of the greatest defensive backs and receivers that have been here always played two positions in high school. I remember this: Bennie Blades came out of high school when I came out. Bennie was a tailback in high school. At Miami he was a free safety.

Q: Geographically you spread out a bit, to Tennessee, Mississippi, Nebraska.

Shannon: We've always recruited Memphis. That's always been a good thing for us. Every year we're gong to sign seven or eight players from out of the State of Florida. But we're going to make Florida our home state. If we have 25 scholarships, you'll see seven or eight [from out of state]. Remember this: We won the national championship. [Ken] Dorsey was from California, [Jeremy] Shockey was from Oklahoma, [Bryant] McKinnie was from New Jersey, [Martin] Bibla was from Philadelphia, [Brett] Romberg was from Canada. And then you had [Clinton] Portis that was imported into Gainesville from Mississippi. On defense Jamaal Green was from New Jersey, James Lewis was from New Jersey, Howard Clark was from New Jersey, D.J. Williams was from California, Edward Reed was from Louisiana. So we're going to make sure that when we leave the state of Florida we're going after the best player in that area. We're not going after a guy just to get a guy. We're going after the best player in those areas. And the guys we recruited in those areas this year we felt were the best players in those areas.
 02-07-2007, 04:44 PM         #853
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Q: Having not gone to a BCS game in three years, was selling UM a lot harder?

Shannon: I don't talk about the past. Talk about the future. I don't ever look back. You can't change anything that happened in the past. Three seconds just went by. Could you change anything from that point? Don't ever look back. Keep looking forward, you'll be okay. And that's what we kept telling the staff. You can't dwell on the past. The past is the past. I don't ever wear my rings, you notice that? I have three, I've never worn them. I wore them that one day and after that I never wore them again. You can't change the past. I have to always keep myself going and strive to be the best I can be and get more rings that way and more championships.

Q: Has the transition process for you combined with recruiting season been tough? How have you managed your time as head coach?

Shannon: It was pretty easy. You got good people around you, it's easy. You have a great coaching staff. The compliance office, business office, everybody's helping me. As a coach, if you can deviate you'll be successful. You want to handle everything by yourself, that load is hard to carry. I won't do that to myself because I have great people around me, my coaching staff, support staff.

Q: Don't a lot of first-time head coaches want to be involved in everything?

Shannon: I'm not that type of guy. I'm kind of a simple guy. I don't like a lot of attention. I don't have an ego. I don't want all the praise for what we do. I'll put it to you this way those [other coaches] did it in recruiting. They went in the homes five or six times. Instead of this Randy Shannon class it should be the a.ssistant coaches' class. Those are the coaches that got it done.

Q: You went from being rated in the 30's a couple of weeks ago, now are in the top 15 according to recruiting services. Did you feel things start to turn at some point?

Shannon: I really don't get into that recruiting [ranking] stuff. I really don't. I look at who we recruit. It's recruiting. You're going to win some and lose some. As coaches you just have to keep recruiting and there's going to be something that triggers a kid to come back to you or say, `You know what, coach, I'm going in a different direction.' That's all part of recruiting.

Q: Were there any disappointments that slipped through your fingers in the last day or two?

Shannon: No. One thing recruiting this year -- a lot of the players have been upfront and honest in this recruiting class `Coach, I'm thinking about you guys but I have someone else involved.' It's never been a deal where `Oh, man, he told me something different, went the other way.' The hat trick wasn't played on the University of Miami this year because we recruited the guys that were quality kids. Quality kids that would tell us up front, `This is where I'm going.' We knew every time a kid wasn't going to Miami the night before or day before.

Q: How much negative recruiting did you encounter?

Shannon: You always encounter negative recruiting at the University of Miami. We don't worry about other programs. If they want to recruit negatively I know one thing, every time we got into homes our coaching staff, all they did was sell Miami. One thing people don't realize everybody talks about graduation rates. We say `If you want to know about the University of Miami's graduation rate, here's how you can look it up on the computer' [at ncaa.org] and let the parents do it for themselves. They can justify what they want to see on the computer when those questions come up.

Q: Robert Marve is a very celebrated signing.

Shannon: He's a good quarterback. He's a guy that's competitive, is not afraid of any competition. When I went to talk to him, and coach [Joe] Pannunzio was vital in the recruiting, I talked about Booker T. Washington. He was talking about how the first half he was getting banged around. I said `How'd you adjust?' He said `Coach, I just told my guys on the offensive line it was my fault. I put it all on me to make those guys feel good.' When a guy can do that, I like him. He took the pressure off the guys up front and then in the second half they took the game and won it. He brings that charisma, that team aspect of `Find a way for these guys to play for me.'
 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM         #854
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Q: Was there a lot of selling involved in landing him?

Shannon: Do you know what he talked about? We talked about life in general, what I believe in, what he believes in, what his parents believe in more than anything. You have to get to know them as people. That's one thing our coaches do a great job of, getting to know guys as people more than just athlete/coach.

Q: Talk more about getting Marve.

Shannon: It's always great when you get a quarterback. We have to get quarterbacks on the team that have a winning mentality and a competitive edge. If we could have signed two, we'd have signed two this year. Right now we feel that Robert Marve was the best one we had on the board that we can win championships with. His mentality is winning a game first, scoring second. I don't care if we score 55, 56 [points] as long as we win.

Q: Can Marve play right away?

Shannon: Everybody has a shot to play this year.

Q: Did you send out copies of George Will's column about you?

Shannon: No. I had a lot of phone calls about it. Athletes, parents called about it, looked it up on the Internet, were thrilled to death and happy because their kids are part of this program, what we're trying to get done. Instead of sports, now they see a different part of it.

Q: Florida had a great recruiting class and won a title. Does that make it tougher for you guys?

Shannon: No. We're going to recruit the guys that are going to be a part of Miami. Some guys that we recruited Florida was never recruiting; some guys Florida recruited we never recruited. We don't get involved in that. You're going to recruit what best fits you. That's what we do.

Q: What is the strength of this class?

Shannon: Athletes. A bunch of athletes in this class, guys that can play multiple positions. That's one thing we tried to address, and we did.

Q: Is there a trend to get younger players in the lineup quicker?

Shannon: Get the best players in the lineup. That's the biggest thing. We've had young players play early and win games for us. The one thing this coaching staff will never do, they will never play a guy just because he's a senior. Every year the best players play. Nobody ever thought Chavez Grant was a great player. How high was he ranked last year in the State of Florida? About 89? 30th among DBs in Florida. People don't realize he won the Houston game for us, the Nevada game for us. He's not ranked high, but what we look at it is what's best for the University of Miami. And that's the only thing that counts.

Q: How do you not see the rankings?

Shannon: I don't read the newspaper. I will not look at it. You know when I'll look at it? Next week Monday when all football is out and I can enjoy looking at basketball and they'll start talking about baseball and hockey. But I would never look at a newspaper during football season. Never.

Q: How do you determine the best prospects?

Shannon: Film. Film does not lie. We get film back and the coaches do a great job of evaluating the film. We all cross-check each other and make sure the film is what we want at the University of Miami. Going off lists, that's the worst thing you can do. If you go off a list and never evaluate film you may get somebody that can't play. The one thing we've always done is evaluation.

Q: Other than kicker/punter, in what other areas did you want to land more numbers?

Shannon: Everything else we're great with. I think we filled those positions.

Q: Do you think you did a good job in recruiting?

Shannon: I think this coaching staff had a positive effect on recruiting. I think I just did a good job; they did a great job.

Q: What did you sell recruits' families on?

Shannon: Me being me, being upfront and honest and telling the parents what to expect and not hide anything from them. I told them what type of person I would be, what I'd do with academics, disciplinarily stuff and structure, what they'd do every day. That's the thing parents need to know. If they don't know that they don't have confidence in you. It's just me. I'm different than most people. I sell myself and my coaching staff. A lot of people sell other things. I don't know what they sell.

Q: When do you know if you landed a great recruit?

Shannon: You really don't know if you have a great recruit until two years into the program. What you may see as a great recruit, by the time two years is over, then you evaluate. USA Today did an article, had the top 10 players and only one of them was still in school (Lorenzo) Booker at Florida State. So you never know who's going to be good, who is going to be great. It comes down to the coaching staff getting it out of them and if the players really want to be great.

Q: The wide receiver position, talk about some of the guys you got that can contribute.

Shannon: I think everybody's going to come and contribute. I don't know which players, which running backs, offensive linemen, which defensive linemen I think every guy that we bring will contribute. Not just offense, the receivers. Every year we [tell players] someone's going to come in and [try to] take your position. And we tell these freshmen, `If you're afraid to come in and compete this year, don't come to the University of Miami.' If you're just not good enough mentally and physically to do it, fine you'll get redshirted. But if you are we'll push you to the max you can be to help us win games.

Q: You have 17 signees (Kayne Farquharson is not an official signee as he has some academic issues that are expected to be rectified by the summer, and Chris Perry's paperwork was not in order as of press conference time). How many openings were there for spots?

Shannon: I don't look at numbers. I just sign. I was on Wall Street and everyone yells `Sell, sell, sell.' I just keep sign 'em. Keep signing.

Q: Has anyone transferred since Andrew Johnson?

Shannon: No. Just Andrew.

*Shannon also had his current staff with him: Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix; running backs coach Tommy Richardson; defensive backs coach Tim Walton; receivers coach Marquis Mosely; offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland; defensive line coach Clint Hurtt; and tight ends/special teams coach Joe Pannunzio.

"We'll fill our staff by Monday or Tuesday of next week," Shannon said.

He said he will be hiring two more a.ssistant coaches and he said he hasn't decided if Walton will be defensive coordinator or if a to-be-hired coach gets that job.

"I will get a defensive coordinator," Shannon said.

Asked what makes Nix special, Shannon said, "He's energetic, he's young and he can score points and he gave me fits, bottom line. Coach Stoutland, when Syracuse scored 63 points on Miami, guess who the line coach was coach Stoutland. If you can hurt the University of Miami, you're doing a great job. And you go out and get the best guys. Coach Robinson has been at Dallas, TCU, Memphis and Georgia Tech also. We've got some energetic guys and they're going to be fun to work with. We're going to win a lot of games here."
 10 years ago '04        #855
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
im happy. DT is replaceable as long as we take care of buisness on the field and recruiting next year
 10 years ago '06        #856
space
space
space
Kayne Farquharson GET THEM GRADES UP !!!!
 10 years ago '04        #858
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Im Gonna Give you a heads up on 2008

[pic - click to view]

Thearon Collier WR from Booker T Washington
5'10" 165
34 Rec 749 yds 9 TD
Film:

[pic - click to view]

Tommy Streeter WR from Miami Northwestern
6'5" 195
57 Rec 804 Yds 14 TD
Film:
 10 years ago '04        #859
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Aldarius Johnson WR from Miami NorthWestern
6'3" 199
72 Rec 1361 Yds 19 TD's

Film

[pic - click to view]

Sean Spence LB from Miami Northwestern
6'1" 195
160 Tackles 3 Sacks 2 Ints 1 FF

Film
 10 years ago '04        #860
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
where is the QB from NW??

jacoy harris ( i think thats his name)
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Might Be A Stripper But She's A Dime
27 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 1 - China To Trump: "Good Luck Bringing Jobs back To U.S."
59 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
183 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Steelers LB James Harrison Gets Hit With His 7th "Random" Drug Test This Y..
82 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
CAM'RON explains y he dont rock with that dirtbag JIM JONES anymore. Speaks on..
197 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 1 - woman knocked unconscious in Kroger baking aisle for asking ho..
135 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Alleged 72 hour Final Fantasy XV battle actually takes 50 minutes
55 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole ethers Lil Yatchy
273 comments
1 day ago