Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #8281
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
getting my tickets against georgia tech for this saturday in a few hours :dancingcool:
 6 years ago '07        #8282
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,223 | Props total: 459 459
Morris is starting right

Please God Please
 6 years ago '04        #8283
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
Morris is starting right

Please God Please
harris n berry r out
 6 years ago '06        #8284
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11928 11928

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #8285
booie4 
space
space
$4,870 | Props total: 582 582
Running backs key to offense

by: Steve Gorten November 14th, 2010 | 11:40 PM
CORAL GABLES – In the locker room before Saturday’s 35-10 win at Georgia Tech, Hurricanes offensive coordinator Mark Whipple had a message for the offense.
“We’re going to run the ball when we want to run the ball. We’re going to throw the ball when we want to throw the ball,” LT Orlando Franklin said, recounting what Whipple told players. “That got everybody really enthusiastic because last year that’s the mentality he came in with, and for him to reiterate it [Saturday], everybody was really happy.”
The ‘Canes both ran and threw the ball effectively, piling up a season-high 507 yards against the Yellow Jackets and their most points against an FBS opponent this season.
“The offense has grown so much. The offensive line’s mature. They can run the ball for a lot of yards,” LB Colin McCarthy said. “They did a great job of giving us time to rest [Saturday] and make the adjustments we need to make.”
How has the offense changed from earlier this season?
“I just remember a lot of times we passed the ball a lot more than we ran it,” Franklin said. “Coach Whipple a.ssured us we’re going to run the ball. I remember a couple of weeks ago he told us if we run the ball 44 times a game, we’ll definitely win.”
The ‘Canes ran the ball 44 times against North Carolina. They won 33-10. They ran the ball a season-high 49 times against Maryland. They won 26-20. They ran it 46 times Saturday for a season-high 277 yards and four touchdowns.
“The running back crew is the heart and soul of this team,” RB Damien Berry said. “When we come out and set the tone, that’s the best thing for the whole team.”
The one game the Hurricanes lost of the past four? At Virginia, where they ran the ball just 29 times.
Sure, the ‘Canes had to throw a lot after falling behind 24-0 to the Cavaliers.
But they weren’t running when the game was scoreless, either. Fifteen of the 24 plays QB Jacory Harris was under center were pass plays, including the one on which he suffered a concussion. [One of the pass plays resulted in a 4-yard scramble by Harris]
The nine run plays gained 50 yards. The Hurricanes averaged 6.2 yards per carry for the game.
In Harris’ two starts before the Virginia game – at Duke and then home vs. UNC – the ‘Canes ran the ball 86 times and Harris threw 66 passes.
Harris’ statistics: 38-for-66 (57.5 percent) for 441 yards, 4 TD and 1 INT.
In Stephen Morris’ two starts, the ‘Canes have run the ball nearly twice as much as they’ve passed: 95 to 48.
Morris’ statistics: 28-for-48 (58.3 percent) for 516 yards, 2 TD and 2 INT.
“[Whipple] just told the offensive line, ‘Look, we’re going to put it on you guys. Get it done up front and we’ll definitely be successful,” Franklin said. “He knows what he’s talking about, so for us to earn his trust makes us feel good as an offensive line, good as a team. We’re getting it done. Receivers are cracking the safeties.
“That’s something they weren’t doing before. We’re all trying to take care of business. And in the passing game, we’re going to block our behinds off to make sure we give Stephen or Jacory time to get the ball to the receivers.”
 6 years ago '09        #8286
MOTM 70 heat pts70
space
space
$1,340 | Props total: 343 343
I got faith in Kirby to do the right thing and get rid of Shannon.
 6 years ago '04        #8287
space
space
sgorten

#UM is 4-9 vs ranked opponents in Randy Shannon's 4 seasons as coach; 6 of the 9 losses by 23 or more pts, 8 of 9 by at least 12 pts less than a minute ago via web

^^^^ how is this acceptable.
 6 years ago '05        #8288
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,894 | Props total: 289 289
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
sgorten

#UM is 4-9 vs ranked opponents in Randy Shannon's 4 seasons as coach; 6 of the 9 losses by 23 or more pts, 8 of 9 by at least 12 pts less than a minute ago via web

^^^^ how is this acceptable.
easy, shalala
 6 years ago '05        #8289
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space

Much of the credit for that goes to Whitt, who was at his wits' end when he found that Shields had no idea how to watch film, learn defenses or prepare for games at the cornerback position. So Whitt began at, well, the beginning.

"He had no clue. Trust me, no clue," Whitt said bluntly. "There was one day, I almost lost my mind."

[pic - click to view]

:hmm:
 6 years ago '04        #8290
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Shannon Reaction: Day After Virginia Tech
Nov. 21, 2010

By: David Lake

Randy Shannon
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami coach Randy Shannon met with the media Sunday morning to talk about the 31-17 loss to Virginia Tech on Saturday.

The Hurricanes committed six turnovers against the Hokies and in the end that was too tough to overcome.

"Basically it came down to turnovers and big plays in the game," Shannon said. "It was a close game throughout, back and forth, two turnovers in the first half happend that could have been positive for us--the fourth down fumble and also the fumbled snap going into the end-zone. It would have been really positive for us to convert."

Read here for more news and notes with Shannon's meeting with the media.

NEWS & NOTES

• The Hurricanes had multiple dropped passes throughout the game that hurt the team's chances to answer Virginia Tech's touchdowns, Shannon said. "You are depending on your players to make those type of plays," Shannon said. "Their players made those plays in the game and our guys did not make those plays in the game. I felt that was the difference in the game."

"Some guys have to step up and make big plays when they have the opportunity to."

• The dropped passes by the receivers continue to frustrate Shannon. "Travis had one and Aldarius had one in the end-zone. Guys have to make plays like that. The coaches call plays and put guys in perfect situations. That was a perfect situation, Travis running down the sideline and [Aldarius] in the end-zone. Balls touched some guy's hands and they had a chance to catch it and they didn't make the play. The guys we have on the team is what we have right now. That is why we recruit and put pressure on those guys."

"All season long, guys have had their opportunities to make catches and give us big plays and they haven't and some of them have. Travis made a big play on the flea-flicker, but make those other catches in the game and you will seperate yourself to being a big time guy. You have to come up with those catches and he knows it."

• Shannon on QB Stephen Morris' play in the fourth quarter: "He didn't press. He had a big pass play to Hankerson and that one got called back. He didn't press, he was just trying to convert."

• QB Jacory Harris is the likely starter this week against USF, Shannon said.

• RB Lamar Miller ran for 163 yards and one touchdown on 15 carries against Virginia Tech. Shannon says he has made an effort to give Miller more carries each week since he missed the Florida State game with an injury. "Lamar was out for a while with an injury," Shannon said. "When he came off injury, the reps have increased from before. I am very excited for him. We are just not going to be a school that gives a young man 35 or 25 carries and then his future is shot."

• Miami has allowed a handful of runs greater than 50 yards this season. Shannon says he is trying to figure out why those big runs have happened. "I think when guys press hard, they try to compensate for somebody else and that is when bad things happen," Shannon said.

• Shannon says he isn't concerned about losing the team mentally for this week's game and the bowl game. "You don't lose a team," Shannon said. "We have senior day this week, so that is a positive. It is an opportunity to end the season on a senior day against South Florida and then get ready for a bowl game. There is a lot of things that you still have to look forward to. A lot of people don't have a chance to play in a bowl game."

• It doesn't matter what bowl game Miami is invited to, according to Shannon. "I don't really get involved with it. It is a great opportunity for the kids because they deserve it with how hard they work. It is not our say, it is up to the bowls to make those decisions."

• Miami has yet to win a bowl game under Shannon. "It is important to win the bowl game because that is what you start your spring with," Shannon said. "It is something positive."

• When asked about the improvements from last year to this year's team, Shannon cited the emergence of a go-to receiver, the emergence of a tight end, a strong running game, and the defensive line play."Record-wise we are not better than what we were. We have an opportunity to tie our record. As far as in the conference, it is probably the first time we have beaten Georgia Tech and North Carolina in the same year. It is probably the first time we can finish second in our Coastal Divsion compared to third or fourth. We have improved in a lot of things from where we were. Do I think we are a better football team than we were last year? Yes, but our record doesn't show it...I am not going to sit up here and tell you this is where we want to be at, but I think what we have been doing is a lot better."

• Miami has played a premiere non-conference schedule every year under Shannon with games against Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State, Texas A&M, and Pittsburgh during his four years. Shannon on having to play a tough non-conference schedule every year: "Our schedule has probably been the toughest of anybody the last four years in the country. Every year I have to play Florida State and Virginia Tech. Nobody else in the ACC has to play those two schools. If you look at when we were in the Big East, we played one non conference opponent that was a top opponent. Miami is a team that is always looking to play the best teams in the country. You have to accept that as a coach, that you have to play a tough non-conference schedule."

• Shannon says he tries to keep perspective on the job he is doing by looking at how long it took other coaches around the country to turn a program around. "Coach Beamer has been at Virginia Tech how long?" Shannon said. "And you look at his term, his seventh year he finally had a winning record. People don't realize that. He has always been 9-3, 8-4, 10-2, he is still working to win his championship. He is a great coach and like anybody he is trying to take that next step and get to that point. I look at the Missouri coach Pinkel and how long it took. Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. How many games did he win over a certain amount of years? Some coaches haven't had winning records in four years or five years and then they get them going. Do I want it to happen quick? Yes. Am I striving for it to be happening quick? Yes. I am trying to win a championship? Yes."

• Shannon says he could build Miami's schedule he would make it easier. "Would I change it? Of course I would," Shannon said. "If you have a chance to play some teams that are Division I teams that you can get some easy wins, yeah I would do it. That is what everybody else in the country is doing now...You can't change it now because these are things that were done before me and Kirby got here."
 6 years ago '04        #8291
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
When asked about the improvements from last year to this year's team, Shannon cited the emergence of a go-to receiver, the emergence of a tight end, a strong running game, and the defensive line play."Record-wise we are not better than what we were. We have an opportunity to tie our record. As far as in the conference, it is probably the first time we have beaten Georgia Tech and North Carolina in the same year. It is probably the first time we can finish second in our Coastal Divsion compared to third or fourth. We have improved in a lot of things from where we were. Do I think we are a better football team than we were last year? Yes, but our record doesn't show it...I am not going to sit up here and tell you this is where we want to be at, but I think what we have been doing is a lot better."
:disdain2:
 6 years ago '04        #8292
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 madness said:
:disdain2:
he f**king settles for being 2nd and 3rd...

Gah..............

FIRE THIS CLUESSLESS n*gga ALREADY BRING PETERSON!!!!!!!
 6 years ago '06        #8293
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
 Deeangoe said:

Much of the credit for that goes to Whitt, who was at his wits' end when he found that Shields had no idea how to watch film, learn defenses or prepare for games at the cornerback position. So Whitt began at, well, the beginning.

"He had no clue. Trust me, no clue," Whitt said bluntly. "There was one day, I almost lost my mind."

[pic - click to view]

:hmm:
antonio dix, T. Gooden, Daryll Sharpton, even javaris james regressed year after year here but look at them now in NFL all making big noise but while they played here meh so-so

if anybody heard shannon on joe rose this morning and that sad sad sad interview that alone should be enuff reason for him to bounce :disdain2::disdain2::disdain2:
 6 years ago '06        #8294
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space

good article

700,000 dollar buyout would be the best money we used
 6 years ago '07        #8295
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 Cap Peeler said:
he f**king settles for being 2nd and 3rd...

Gah..............

FIRE THIS CLUESSLESS n*gga ALREADY BRING PETERSON!!!!!!!
You talking about Carl Peterson, dude from Boise?

I would take him in a heartbeat, he knows x's and o's and understands player development. Those boise st players are full grown men, not like these underdeveloped high schoolers we got

Shannons a good guy but its the end of the road, he just cannot coach in big games. Knowing Donna Shalala tho.......
 6 years ago '04        #8296
space
space
they asked him after the game on sat they asked him something like "what is there left to look forward to this season" and this b**ch answered senior night
 6 years ago '05        #8297
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
"Not by me," Shalala said in a brief, impromptu interview on the field before Saturday's loss. "Let's finish the season, let's have a great season. Randy is a great coach and we knew the rebuilding process was going to take some time."
rebuilding process??? who the hell does shalala think we are
 6 years ago '06        #8298
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
that quote right there is the reason why the program is what it is today pathetic
 6 years ago '04        #8299
space
space
whitt likes what rookies shields can do
print email buzz up! Facebook digg twitter rss share
decrease font decrease font
enlarge font enlarge font

green bay, wis. (ap) -joe whitt isn't afraid of making bold statements, and given the packers cornerbacks coach's track record, perhaps people should take him at his word when he talks about undrafted rookie free agent sam shields.

Before the season, whitt told anyone who'd listen that tramon williams - not charles woodson, the reigning nfl defensive player of the year; not al harris, a two-time pro bowler coming off a major knee injury - was the team's best cover cornerback. After nine games, what sounded like blasphemy at the time has become abundantly clear, with williams making a strong case for the pro bowl and a lucrative long-term contract extension.

So when whitt was asked recently about the raw-but-talented shields, who went undrafted this spring after spending the first three years of his college career at miami (fla.) playing wide receiver and had just 10 games of cornerback experience as a senior for the hurricanes, whitt's reply was just as emphatic.

"write this down,'' whitt said of shields, the packers' no. 3 cornerback in their nickel defense. "sam is going to be one of the top corners in this league in two years.''

that's heady stuff for someone with shields' thin cornerback resume, but the packers' releasing harris, whom they waived off the physically unable to perform list nov. 8, spoke even louder than whitt's words.

"i don't think anybody can stand here and say sam shields was going to be your starting corner in week 10, especially the way he arrived here as a free agent,'' packers coach mike mccarthy said earlier this week, as his team prepared for sunday's game against the minnesota vikings. "but you never questioned the ability. You could see that from day 1. He's a young man that's been very thorough, very coachable, very detailed in everything he's doing. He has a tremendous upside, and we're excited about the progress he's made.''

much of the credit for that goes to whitt, who was at his wits' end when he found that shields had no idea how to watch film, learn defenses or prepare for games at the cornerback position. So whitt began at, well, the beginning.

"he had no clue. Trust me, no clue,'' whitt said bluntly. "there was one day, i almost lost my mind.''

to teach shields, whitt went back to an approach he used as an a.ssistant at louisville, where he helped turn two former offensive players - arizona cardinals safety kerry rhodes and philadelphia eagles safety antoine harris - into nfl-caliber defensive players.

"basically, i got flash cards. I drew a formation on one side, i drew the check on the back side, just like you do in school,'' whitt explained. "the next day, i come in, he has a stack of flash cards, two inches deep, and he has everything on it. And from that day on, it was a total transformation because he understood the defense from that day on because he understood how to study.''

he's been a quick study. In the packers' 45-7 victory over dallas before their bye week, shields got his first nfl interception (an acrobatic one-handed catch) and, while also responsible for the cowboys' only touchdown, proved once again on a big stage that the job isn't too big for him. In fact, his play solidified the packers' difficult decision to sever ties with harris, a 13-year veteran who'd started 106 career games in green bay and wound up with the miami dolphins.

"back when we started training camp, not many people knew who sam shields was, and i didn't know much about sam shields. But we thought he had potential, and he's continued to make improvement,'' defensive coordinator dom capers said. "we've played nine games with him out there now, and that's a tough position to stick a rookie out there because everybody in the national football league knows.''

whitt isn't the only one who's worked extensively with shields. On tuesdays, the players' day off, shields watches film with woodson. In addition, shields has gone from a shaky returner - another job he had next to no experience with when camp began - who couldn't catch the ball consistently to the team's primary kickoff returner, with a 49-yard runback against the cowboys.

It's all part of shields' wise-beyond-his-years approach ("he's very mature; he's not like a lot of rookies,'' whitt said) and constant growth.

"i'm still learning. But each day, i'm getting better and better. Each game, i'm getting better and better,'' shields said. "i've got to continue to keep doing that.

"if i keep working at staying focused, i can be that guy.''

notes: The packers listed fullback korey hall (back), defensive end ryan pickett (ankle) and wide receiver donald driver (quadriceps) as questionable after pickett and driver were limited in practice and hall did not participate friday. Mccarthy said pickett and driver will be evaluated saturday to determine if they're fit to play against the vikings, but the coach sounded encouraged that both will play. The other eight players on the injury report are probable, including linebacker desmond bishop, who was added to the report with a lingering hip injury that has been bothering him for a while. Outside linebacker clay matthews, who is listed as probable, said he's been bothered by shin splints but isn't concerned about missing anything other than practice time. "there's been some general soreness and pain so (the trainers) are being cautious about it,'' matthews said. "i feel fine. I'll be fine for the game.''

read more:
this really says something bout this coaching staff
 6 years ago '07        #8300
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
this really says something bout this coaching staff
Damn, this s**t hurts to know. I never thought dude was even nfl talent when he was at corner here, now hes showin out. He did have a niceass catch on that INT

Just looking at this roster, I can see a handful of nfl players and some of them look like theyre gonna ball out in the league. All the athletes in the world but with no coaching and development
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
196 comments
2 days ago