70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
154 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
127 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
33 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #8021
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
These boys will be fine

They setting on on leaving in 2012 as champs
 6 years ago '05        #8022
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
Kind of early to be thinking about 2012 class but just saw Duke Johnson (RB) committed to us. He's teammates and been talking to the CB Leggett about committing too so hopefully he will be next to do it.
 6 years ago '04        #8023
booie4 
space
space
$4,880 | Props total: 609 609
Duke Johnson highlight tape is nasty, smooth runner with real good speed.
 6 years ago '06        #8024
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
beast

Leggit next

[pic - click to view]

2012 class is gonna rival the 2008 class with talent down here

Last edited by DEDOS; 09-17-2010 at 09:30 AM..
 6 years ago '05        #8025
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
3rd commit of 2012 class

[video - click to view]

don't see much in the video since he is being recruited as a DB. plays corner but is 6'1 170 so could end up at safety.
 6 years ago '04        #8026
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
CB Bailey is UM's 3rd 2012 Commit
Sep. 18, 2010

By: Nate Adelson

Willie Bailey.
The 2012 commitments seem to be rushing in for Miami now as Hallandale cornerback Willie Bailey becomes the third name on the list.

In reality though, Bailey (6-2, 155, 4.62) was the second one to make his pledge since he did it a couple weeks ago and it had been kept quiet.

“It was probably like two weeks ago that I committed actually,” Bailey said. “Basically, I like how many defensive backs they have produced. Miami has sent all those guys to the NFL and then they standout. The coaches were really excited when I told them that I was ready to commit.”

Bailey said that he has already spoken with the whole staff except Coach Shannon but his primary recruiter is running backs coach Mike Cassano.

“I talked to pretty much all of the coaches except the head coach but my recruiter is Coach Cassano,” Bailey said. “I had met him at the summer camp actually. That was my first time going to Miami as like a recruit and I had a real good camp. The campus was very good and I liked the surroundings.”

Miami ’s other two 2012 commitments are Norland running back Duke Johnson and his teammate, linebacker Keith Brown. With them being from the same area as Bailey, he actually met one of them very recently.

“I met one of them because he came to my game last week,” Bailey laughed. “He found out about me and he heard I had committed to Miami . It was the big linebacker that I talked to and he was telling me how he already committed there. I was surprised to see him out there but he said I looked pretty good.”

Bailey isn’t overly excited about Miami ’s season so far but he expects the Canes to improve as the season goes along.

“It’s still just the beginning of the season so around the end of the season, they should be better,” Bailey said. “I think everything should come out good and they can do a good job the rest of their games.”

On the high school front, Hallandale is off to a promising 2-1 start after a brutal 0-10 record in 2009.

“This year is going pretty good and the coaches are a big difference from last year,” Bailey said. “The team really lacked discipline last year but our new coaches teach us a lot of good things. That’s why the season is going better. I’m playing both safety and corner but corner is my main spot.”

Bailey, who has two blocked punts this season, talked about the way he plays at the cornerback position.

“Yea I committed to Miami as a cornerback,” Bailey said. “I’m a physical defensive back and I like to get in on a lot of tackles. I’m a speedy guy too so once I get a pick, nobody is able to catch me. I just like to be physical in coverage, that’s how I play.”
 6 years ago '05        #8027
TheInevitable24 12 heat pts12
space
space
$5,465 | Props total: 0 0
yall talking about 2012

yeah that sounds like a realistic year to work towards...we aint on the schedule
 6 years ago '07        #8028
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
I like I like

Physical conerbacks I like

Time will tell tho
 6 years ago '07        #8029
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
 TheInevitable24 said:
yall talking about 2012

yeah that sounds like a realistic year to work towards...we aint on the schedule
f**k outta hea

2011 yall will get what was suppose to happen
 6 years ago '04        #8030
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Harris Hurt By Racial Remarks
Sep. 19, 2010

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

Jacory Harris.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Venom. Hate. Anger.

Miami Hurricanes quarterback had Jacory Harris never heard that before. He had never been accustomed to that kind of reaction from fans. Not at Miami. Not at Northwestern. Not ever.

Logically, at Northwestern, he was 30-0 as a starting quarterback so one would have knit pick incredibly to find flaws in his game. He was a record setter, a two-time state champion and a National Champion.

Even at Miami as a freshman, he was the beloved QB that seemingly everyone wanted as a starter as he outplayed Robert Marve in key situations. He was the one people were calling the savior. He was loved. Then as a sophomore, the job was his and people were excited. Even with some losses, at 9-4, fans were relatively happy with Harris even though he threw 17 interceptions, some of which cost Miami games.

That has all changed as of this past week. The venom, the hate and the anger in fans is coming out, and it’s coming out in a way that will test Harris like he’s never been tested before. It was test his courage, test his fire, test him as a competitor, and test him psychologically.

Harris is one of only four black quarterbacks to start a football game at UM. The other three didn’t last long as Kenny Kelly played one year before bailing for baseball. Ken Dorsey took over the rest was history. The other was Ryan Collins and people who were following UM back then know how that one played out. It would take another story just to talk about that. And Derrick Crudup’s reign at QB lasted a week.

Harris is getting a taste of what Collins experienced and he got it in a harsh way this past week when he read a racially disturbing comment by a fan, one he said he knows.

“I told myself right after the game (not to look at Twitter). I said don’t look at it cause I know people are going to be you know, these are not coaches that are making comments on the internet, but you see some things and you get kind of hurt because sometimes it’s your fans that say the things and it be the ones that probably just before the game wrote you some encouraging message and then after the game, tell you they don’t want a black quarterback here, stuff like that, so it’s cool,” Harris said.

The comment and other comments like it brought the ‘Canes starting quarterback to tears. Quite frankly, it hurt him a lot. It hit him hard, hit his soul. But it’s one thing for someone to criticize his play, and another thing when the reason for criticism is because he’s a black quarterback.

It had never been a problem before for some fans, but with losses when wins are now expected, the true colors come out in some of these so-called fans.

“It is disheartening. It’s something that you look at and kind of brings you to tears a little bit, but at the same time you know it’s just a comment and nothing else will be taken after that. There will be no steps taken after that so that’s that person’s opinion and you got to live with it. That’s something you got to live with,” Harris said.

Defensive tackle Marcus Forston confirmed that Harris was definitely hurt by the comments. Forston has been close friends with Harris since they were in high school. Even though Harris didn't want to let out how much it hurt, Forston said it did.

"He was definitely hurt. He's a guy that always comes into the locker room with a lot of passion, just making jokes and always loud and making everybody laugh. When you see a guy just sitting in his locker and not making too much noise, you already knew something was wrong," Forston said. "It hurt him a lot. He never in his life would expect that to come from a fan, especially at UM, being in Coral Gables, how diverse it is down here."

Yet, still Harris found the time to apologize to fans for the loss, the way he and his team played, the fact that many true fans spent a lot of money to go see the game in person only to come away disappointed with the outcome.

But why apologize when that’s not his duty? He plays a sport. It’s just a game that many people take all too seriously. He’s still just a college kid, not someone who gets paid to do this for a living.

“Because there are still fans out there that support us and have to show that we appreciate the support and you know there’s a lot of people that came up spent a lot of money to make that trip in order to see us and we didn’t come through with a victory so I wanted to apologize to the fans, let them know that we can’t do things like this anymore. We got to go out there and win games. We want them to come to our games and support us so we got to basically make the effort on the field by letting them see that we’re a good team,” Harris said.

The question though for Harris is how he responds to this. He’s generally a very jovial individual, cracking jokes, trying to make people smile. There was none of that Sunday afternoon in Coral Gables. No smiles, no joy, no happiness, just someone who appears to be very hurt by this. There is not a mean bone in his body and having never experienced this kind of hate, it’s hard for him to find the words to respond. His attitude is not one of responding as he didn’t respond to that Twitter message. However, the comments clearly got to him a bit and his family support is what he rested on following that.

“The process is a crazy one cause I’ll be honest, looking at the new social networking and Twitter and stuff. It gets kind of crazy. You look at certain things, comments that they say on there, but those things don’t bother me when you’ve got family that are always, and your best friends off in college that watch the game, you know they always keep my spirits up, girlfriend, things like that keep your spirits, let you know that everything is still fine. And as long as those guys are a part of your life and you know tell you everything is alright, then everything is okay,” Harris said.

Harris just wants to get back on the field though so he can get back to playing well and so the team can as well as a win in Pittsburgh is sorely needed. If the ‘Canes lose, the wheels could fall off of the bus entirely and the venom that will be spewed by 11:00 p.m. Thursday will probably be even worse than what Harris experienced this past week.

“It’s a tough thing to wait because you want to get back on the field as soon as possible to redeem yourself, but as a team we’re slowly forgetting about it and moving on to the next team, Pittsburgh, the next opponent and that’s what our mind is focused on right now,” Harris said. ‘That’s the big key right now, to get a chance to redeem ourselves in the national spotlight so that everybody could see the University of Miami.”

One way Harris has responded to everything though is to let go a little bit, not be a micro manager of everything and let his guys do their jobs which might help him do his job better at the same time.

“I want to improve on being more focused on my job and not trying to micro manage the whole offense or the defense, just you know knit pick on certain things, tell the defense to do this or tell the offense to do certain things. I am going to leave it in the hands of Leonard Hankerson for the receivers, Tyler Horn for the offensive lineman and Damien Berry for the running backs and let everybody take control of their position and I’ll just be a leader by taking care of my business and making sure I’m focused on what I’m doing and just leading the team in the right way,” Harris said.
 6 years ago '04        #8031
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Press Conference News & Notes: 9/19
Sep. 19, 2010

By: David Lake

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami will travel to Pittsburgh this Thursday night to take on the Pitt Panthers.

The Pittsburgh game will be a key measuring stick for Miami as the Hurricanes are coming off a 36-24 loss at No. 2 Ohio State and need to get back on track.

Pittsburgh (1-1) began the season with a loss to Utah and is coming off a win over New Hampshire.

The Panthers are led by running back Dion Lewis, who rushed for 1,799 yards and 17 touchdowns as a freshman last season and receiver Jon Baldwin, who has 10 catches for 171 yards and two touchdowns in two games this season.

Read here for news and notes as Miami prepares for Pittsburgh.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“This week’s game is against Pitt and it is another opportunity to play on national TV two out of the first three weeks and I think that shows what the University of Miami is all about. The game is going to be a physical game. Dave Wannstedt is a very close friend of mine, I have spent a lot of time with him and he wants to be a physically tough team that has a bend but don’t break defense. It is going to be an exciting game between two teams that are 1-1.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Pittsburgh’s offense consists of two good running backs in Dion Lewis and Ray Graham along with a big play receiver in Jon Baldwin. “They have two running backs that do a great job running the football with a 1-2 punch,” Shannon said. “That is going to be a big key to this game. They also have a big time receiver with Baldwin who is tall and makes a lot of big plays for them.”

• Shannon on the type of running backs Pitt has: “They are short, powerful runners. They are two good tough running backs. They are Pittsburgh running backs like what Dave’s mentality is. Dave have always been about running the football and slamming it up there, slamming it up there, and then hit you for a big play-action pass.”

• Following the Ohio State game, quarterback Jacory Harris says he received some messages on Twitter from fans that were of a racial nature which were disheartening. "You see some things and you get kind of hurt because it is your fans that are saying some things and it be the ones that before the game wrote you an encouraging message and then after the game they tell you they don't want a black quarterback here," Harris said.

• Miami is 3-5 under Randy Shannon in non conference games away from Miami. Going into the Pittsburgh game, Shannon says he isn’t concerned about the way UM has played on the road. “We have played plenty of games on the road and won games, so I don’t think that is a big hurdle,” Shannon said.

• UM leads the country in tackles for loss with 25 total through two games. “To be honest with you, this is the most tackles for loss I have seen at the University of Miami in a short period of time this early in the season,” Shannon said. “Hopefully we can get many more of those tackles for loss, because the more tackles for loss you get, the more you can do on third down.”

• Improving the tackling technique has been a big point of emphasis for Miami after the Ohio State game. “When you get in the game, guys go for big shots and big shots cause big runs sometimes,” Shannon said. “Now guys see the point of instead of not going for big shots, go for the tackles and get them on the ground. I think you will see major league improvement with that.”

• Shannon has a strong relationship with Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt, who was his position coach at Miami and at the Dallas Cowboys and he was the one who hired Shannon as a coach at the Miami Dolphins. “We are very good friends,” Shannon said. “We talk about different things and text each other and we are going to continue to do that. On game day we will probably have a great conversation and talk about old times.”

• Going into the Pittsburgh game, Shannon says he doesn’t feel like he has any advantage because he knows what type of coach Wannstedt is. “He knows me and I know him, so it will be fun to play against him,” Shannon said.

• One thing Shannon learned while working under Wannstedt is the importance of chemistry among the coaching staff. “When I was with the Dolphins, Dave always wanted the staff to go out and do something together. We try to do that throughout the course of a season and I think that is big when you have staff chemistry and you have guys that can go out and be around each other. That is one thing that he has been big in.”

• Shannon on if playing in Thursday night games helps with recruiting: "You know what? I think half the time guys know where they want to go to school at. Some people like to be recruiting and go through the process of signing day and some of them just want to get through the season. I think that is why you see a lot more commitments early. Usually when you get those commitments early, guys stick with them."

• Miami already has three commitments for the 2012 recruiting class. Shannon talked about the difference with holding on to a commitment for two years now. "It is still a long ways to go," Shannon said. "A lot of guys commit when they are juniors or when they are tenth graders, but you still have a whole two years of going through the process. You are excited about it, but you can't make a comment about it and nothing is for sure. Next year he could change his mind and go somewhere else, so you don't get too caught up in it."
 6 years ago '04        #8032
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
About Us • Contact

UM D-Line Controlling The Line Of Scrimmage
Sep. 19, 2010

Olivier Vernon
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- For the University of Miami defensive line, stats don’t tell the whole story of how effective the unit played against Ohio State.

Miami finished with just one sack against the Buckeyes, but the defensive line did its job in stuffing the run, hurrying quarterback Terrelle Pryor, and 5.5 tackles for loss.

UM didn’t come up with sacks against one of the most mobile and strongest quarterbacks in the country in Pryor, but the defensive line did make plays in other areas.

“You can make plays other ways with tackles for loss and stopping the run and we are doing a good job of that,” sophomore defensive end Olivier Vernon said.

Miami’s defensive line has done a good job of getting penetration and getting up field during the first two games of the year against Florida A&M and Ohio State. After the first two weeks of the college football season, Miami led the country in tackles for loss with 25 total on the season.

Vernon credit’s the coaching of veteran coach Rick Petri to the improved play of the defensive line early this year.

“The technique that coach Petri has handed down to me and the rest of the defensive line has made a big difference,” Vernon said. “We go through the techniques every day in practice, so I carry that into the game. We get more reps at the technique than we did last year. Coach Petri stresses it a lot more, so we got to use it in the game.”

As good as Miami’s defensive line was at Ohio State, Vernon believes the unit might have been able to put even more pressure on Pryor.

“I think maybe we could have gotten a little bit more pressure at Ohio State,” Vernon said.

One key area Vernon says the defense will be focusing on while preparing for Pittsburgh this week is improving the overall tackling of the team. Miami’s defense had multiple missed tackles against Ohio State that led to scores by the Buckeyes.

“It is about wrapping up all the time instead of trying to always make the big hits.”

Vernon has liked the focus by Miami since coming off the Ohio State loss. Vernon says the team understands that having a great season starts with playing well at Pittsburgh on Thursday night. The Hurricanes can’t have a letdown game.

“Right now we are trying to get on track,” Vernon said. “We have forgotten about the Ohio State game and now we are just worried about Pitt. Ohio State is in the past now.”

Miami’s defensive line will have to continue their stellar play against the run this week against Pittsburgh, who features one of the best running backs in the country in Dion Lewis.

Last year Lewis ran for 1,799 yards and 17 touchdowns as a true freshman. This year Lewis has struggled to find his rhythm, having rushed for 110 yards and two touchdowns in two games behind a rebuilding Pittsburgh offensive line.

“They have a real good running back, so we will have to be ready for that,” Vernon said
 6 years ago '04        #8033
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 9/20
Sep. 20, 2010

Ramon Buchanan
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami returned to practice early Monday morning as the Hurricanes finish their final preparations for Pittsburgh.

UM will face Pittsburgh (1-1) on Thursday night in primetime on ESPN. The kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m.

Read here for the latest news and notes to come out of today’s practice.

OPENING STATEMENT

“It was a typical Wednesday practice. We flew around and got some one on one stuff done at the beginning of practice and at the end, which I thought was good. Some third down stuff and we worked on some red-zone. We have to work on red-zone from last week and getting better and trying to create turnovers.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Pittsburgh quarterback Tino Sunseri has done a solid job during the first two starts of his career this season against Utah and Pittsburgh. Sunseri has thrown for 459 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions while completing 65 percent of his passes. “He is doing a great job for them,” Shannon said of Sunseri. “He is not turning the ball over a lot and doing a lot of good things just managing the offense. They have two great receivers that they are going to throw the ball to and they have a great running back. We know we have to come out and control the run game and make sure that those big guys don’t get big plays.”

• A big key for Miami this week will be defending Pitt wide receiver Jon Baldwin (6-5, 230) during play-action passing. “He is a big guy that makes plays,” Baldwin said. “We recruited him coming out of high school and he stayed home to get Pittsburgh and their program right.”

• Pitt plays in the same stadium, Heinz Field, as the Pittsburgh Steelers. Heinz Field is known for consistently having some of the worst wind conditions of any NFL stadium. Shannon talked about how Miami will prepare for the windy conditions before the game: “You really don’t until game time and then you will decide which way you want to kick the ball and which end-zone you want to be in during the third quarter, fourth quarter, and halftime, which way you want to kickoff. You just wait until game time because the wind does swirl with that stadium and Giant Stadium is like that. Sometimes the Dolphins’ stadium swirls a little bit, you have to figure out what type of wind it is each day.”

• The first team defensive line on Monday morning was: LDE Andrew Smith, LDT Allen Bailey, RDT Micanor Regis, RDE Olivier Vernon.

• Junior LB Ramon Buchanan worked with the first team at weak-side linebacker.

• Senior CB Ryan Hill is challenging DeMarcus Van Dyke for the starting job and was seen taking reps with the first team Monday morning.

• According to Shannon, DE Marcus Robinson and DT Luther Robinson participated in practice.

• Turnovers were emphasized more in practice as Shannon would throw the ball to the defensive backs after a play to get them used to looking for the ball.

• Shannon is friendly with Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio, who suffered a heart attack after the Spartans beat Notre Dame in overtime 34-31, and sends his regards to the MSU Coach. “It is tough,” Shannon said. “I heard about it this morning when I walked into work and I am like whoa wait a minute. David Cutcliffe, Chan Gailey, and guys like that talked to me about it when I first got into the business and all my support goes to Mark. I know Mark and he is a good football coach and a good person and you never want to see anything like that happen, so I wish him well soon and I am going to be here for him if he ever needs me.”
 6 years ago '04        #8034
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
TE Ford Still Adjusting to The Speed of Major College Football
Sep. 20, 2010

Chase Ford
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami junior tight end Chase Ford needed a couple games to adjust to the speed of major college football, but now he says he is comfortable and ready to make an impact for the offense.

Ford, who impressed Miami coach Randy Shannon during the month of fall practices with his playmaking ability from the tight end spot, has played the first two games through some ups and downs.

During both the Florida A&M and Ohio State games Ford has had his share of dropped passes and he says the main reason is that he is still making the transition from junior college to playing at Miami.

“I am still getting used to the speed of the game,” Ford said. “It is a lot faster than the junior college level, like reading and reacting to the defensive backs. It is something I have to get used to. In the first game I was so jittery that I didn’t want to mess up anything.”

Ford ended the Ohio State game on a good note with a nine yard touchdown catch in the back of the end-zone during the fourth quarter, but he admits he all he could think about following the game was the drop he had in Columbus. It was the first touchdown catch of Ford’s career.

Through the first two games, Ford has caught two passes for 13 yards and one touchdown.

“I told coach Pannunzio when he asked me how I thought I played and I said coach any time I drop a pass I don’t think I played good at all,” Ford said.

“It is always good to catch a touchdown and get that first one out of the way. I was just lucky that I got it.”

Ford says he felt much more comfortable during the Ohio State game compared to how he felt against Florida A&M and he expects to

“I felt more comfortable and got a better feel for the game,” Ford said. “I felt more comfortable with my plays.”

Before the game at Ohio State, Ford got the opportunity to meet former UM tight end great Jeremy Shockey, who UM coach Randy Shannon has compared Ford to this year.

“I talked to him a little bit,” Ford said of meeting Shockey. “He was a real nice down to earth guy. You always hear about athletes being stuck up or something, but it isn’t like that when he was at the game the other day. He was real nice and friendly. It was nice to meet him and we talked about simple stuff.”

The toughest transition for any tight end playing on the college level is becoming an adept blocker. Ford says he has made big strides and improvements in his blocking since fall practices began in August.

“It is coming along pretty good,” Ford said of his blocking. “The defensive ends we have on the team give me a good look in practice. They are big, strong defensive ends and blocking them every day in practice gives me a good look for the games.”

As Miami prepares for Pittsburgh this week, Ford says he can tell the team has moved on from the mistakes they made against Ohio State.

“Mistakes are never good, but that means it is a learning process,” Ford said. “I would rather lose game two than game twelve. I’d rather get it out of the way early.”

“It was a learning process and we will get better from it in practice.”
 6 years ago '04        #8035
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Miami Hurricanes' defense has not been pretty

Coach Randy Shannon has UM's defense working harder to stop dropping potential interceptions and missing tackles.

Photos

By MANNY NAVARRO

It's early in the season, but the University of Miami has a couple of statistics on defense to be proud of:

• The Hurricanes lead the nation in tackles for loss, averaging 12 per game.

• They rank second nationally in sacks, averaging 4 per game.

• And when it comes to total defense, they rank 16th overall, having allowed only 262 yards per game.

The ugly stats? Randy Shannon is keeping count of those.

During what he called an embarrassing film review of the Ohio State game last week, the fourth-year coach said he pointed out all of his team's issues on defense.

At the top of the list: a handful of dropped interceptions and catalog of missed tackles, which upset Shannon so much he couldn't help but let out his frustrations right after the game with an unprecedented tirade.

``You don't want bad things to happen to you, but sometimes those things can help you out,'' said Shannon, whose 19th-ranked Canes play at former Big East rival Pittsburgh (1-1) on Thursday night in a game that will be shown on ESPN.

``You can sit up here and tell a guy in baseball to step, plant and make sure you get your hips into [a swing] . . . [but] until he goes 0 for 16, he probably won't listen to you . . . now we have an opportunity to get better at tackling. Now, [our] guys see the importance of instead of going for big shots to go for the tackles and get them on the ground. I think you'll see major league improvement this week from them.''

To say tackling hasn't been a major league focus for the Hurricanes (1-1) since their loss at the second-ranked Buckeyes on Sept. 11 would be an understatement.

Defensive tackle Marcus Forston said every time the Hurricanes defense hasn't had all 11 of its players chasing after the ball carrier in practice, Shannon has made his team run the play over until the players get it right.

``That's the big thing they've been harping on since spring ball, during camp,'' said senior middle linebacker Colin McCarthy, who ranks just ahead of junior Sean Spence (15 tackles) with 16 tackles.

``[Pittsburgh] has a lot of good running backs, a lot of big receivers. So we need everybody chasing the ball, not going for the big hit, just wrapping up.''

Said Forston: ``We're getting better at it. Everybody is swarming to the ball.''

Shannon said aside from 11-on-11 drills, tackling also has been a bigger emphasis during individual defensive drills.

``You just keep working on it,'' Shannon said. ``It's grab cloth, knock a guy back, have guys spin and twist and just grab cloth the whole time. You get in a game, guys go for big shots. And big shots become big runs sometimes. . . . I was the defensive coordinator a few years back when we played at West Virginia. They got us for, like, 300 yards rushing. [We] came back and showed it to them. They understood what it was. They were embarrassed. Then, we played better defense.''

Part of playing better defense is also creating turnovers. The Hurricanes have only one -- a 22-yard interception return by Ray Ray Armstrong in the season-opener against Florida A&M. At Ohio State, Shannon said he counted three dropped interceptions -- one for Armstrong, another for senior cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke and another for sophomore cornerback Brandon McGee.

This week, senior cornerback Ryan Hill said Shannon has been targeting his secondary with surprise passes.

``That's probably one of the biggest things we've worked on this week,'' Hill said of UM's secondary. ``Striking the ball carrier, stripping the ball, intercepting the ball. I think coach Shannon, he's out there throwing balls after every play to the cornerbacks. It's kind of funny but we're doing everything we have to do to make sure we catch the ball.

``I saw him out there [Monday] throwing the ball to Demarcus Van Dyke. I was like, `What is he doing?' But I like when coach Shannon does stuff like that. It's having fun. But it's also making us work and making us think about creating turnovers at the same time.''

Said Forston: ``The biggest thing we have to do as a defense is get back to having fun. And you can only do that when all 11 guys are doing their job.''
 6 years ago '04        #8036
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Miami Hurricanes' Vaughn Telemaque hopes to be catalyst for turnovers

Safety Vaughn Telemaque, who has drawn comparisons to Ed Reed by coach Randy Shannon, is looking to help UM's defense create more turnovers -- starting with himself.

University of Miami defensive back Vaughn Telemaque breaks up a pass intended for Duke wide receiver Donovan Varner (26) during the fourth quarter of an NCAA game Saturday, Nov. 21, 2009 at Land Shark Stadium in Miami Gardens.
ALAN DIAZ / AP
Photo

Related Content
Norland's Duke Johnson is UM-bound
Download your 2010 Miami Hurricanes iPhone app
By DIDIER MORAIS

When Ed Reed returned to the University of Miami this past spring for a visit, he made sure to speak with Vaughn Telemaque.

The six-time Pro Bowl safety and the Canes' all-time leader in interceptions had heard coach Randy Shannon mention how Telemaque had the potential to live up to Reed's legacy. So Reed dedicated a portion of his time to tutoring the redshirt sophomore on ways to become better at ball-hawking.

``He talked about how playing cornerback can help you learn where your vulnerable points are [in the secondary], and it can carry your safety [play] to another level,'' said Telemaque, who played a lot of cornerback for that reason in the spring.

``He said it can help you understand routes, where the quarterback is trying to fit the ball. If you can do that, then you know where you can fill the void at safety.''

Thirteen starts into his career, Telemaque still is looking for his first college interception for a UM defense that has created only one turnover in two games heading into Thursday night's game at Pittsburgh.

But as frustrating as the search for turnovers has been for the Hurricanes defense, the 6-2, 207-pound former All-American from Long Beach Poly High School a.ssures he isn't lacking confidence. He is handling the struggles with California cool and letting them roll off his signature dreadlocks.

``I need to get some more turnovers. I need to make some big-time plays like [Reed] and get that going,'' said Telemaque, who as a senior at Poly made 89 tackles and nine interceptions -- including three in the state championship game.

``[But] I understand I also need to be patient and just let it come to me. Patience is a virtue. I want to try to make it happen, [but] if I'm not making it happen, the guys around me will make sure we're making it happen.''

BOUNCING BACK

Patience is nothing new for Telemaque. Three games into his freshman season, he tore his labrum after a collision with Texas A&M fullback Jorvorskie Lane that caused him to miss the final 10 games of the 2008 season.

``Once he got hurt, he was like, `Man what am I gonna do?' '' said USC defensive tackle Jurrell Casey, a close friend of Telemaque's who played with him at Poly.

``It was tough for him because he was on special teams and just getting ready to get in the rotation.''

But it didn't take Telemaque long to bounce back. After missing the season opener at Florida State, he made 11 starts in the Canes' final 12 games and finished fifth on the team with 48 tackles last season. Along the way, he delivered his share of highlight-reel hits -- including upending Georgia Tech running back Roddy Jones and a vicious blow to Duke receiver Donovan Varner.

THE NEXT STEP

Although Shannon said Telemaque has done a great job signaling teammates in the secondary and lining players up in the right spots, it's the next step -- helping create turnovers -- coaches are waiting on.

So far, sophomore Ray-Ray Armstrong's 22-yard interception return for a touchdown against Florida A&M is the only turnover UM has produced this season. Last season, the team created 21 turnovers, nine by interceptions. But only five of those picks were made by players in the Canes secondary.

When Reed patrolled UM's secondary in 2000 and 2001, interceptions were the norm. UM snagged 50 between the 2000 and 2001 seasons. Reed recorded 17 of those over his final two seasons. But in his first two years with UM, Reed was more of a tackler with only two interceptions in each season.

``I appreciate [the Reed comparisons],'' Telemaque said. ``[But] I just want to go out there and play team football.

``Knowing I have No. 1 [Brandon Harris] as a corner, No. 8 [DeMarcus Van Dyke] as a corner, No. 26 [Armstrong] to my left or right -- that builds confidence, and that'll help me play to my potential.''

Receiver LaRon Byrd, Telemaque's roommate, said it is only a matter of time before the safety becomes more of the player Shannon projected him to be.

``We always talk about that,'' said Byrd, who wears Michael Irvin's No. 47 jersey. ``I'll be like, `VT, I have to have this blowout game' and he'll say, `Byrd, I have to have that shutdown game.' I definitely think it's going to happen for him soon. He just needs to keep working at it.''
 6 years ago '04        #8037
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
damn i can't wait for thursday!!! :celebrate:

we finna shut down pitt !!!!!!!
 6 years ago '05        #8038
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
 Cap Peeler said:
damn i can't wait for thursday!!! :celebrate:

we finna shut down pitt !!!!!!!
s**t me too...after the osu game i was like gotdamn 12 days to the next game...but it came up pretty quickly

and boooooo to whoever the f**k created this years schedule...no home game til oct 8 which is fsu (which i wont even be in town for ) so your telling me the next home game i can attend and tailgate is the north carolina game on oct 23 :budden:

its a f**king whole month :banghead:

ima have to go to the wackass dolphins game on sunday just to hold me down for some tailgating
 6 years ago '07        #8039
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
1 day fellas

Its gonna get ugly

Im expecting straight headbussing and crisp offense.
 09-22-2010, 10:17 AM         #8040
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Deeangoe said:
s**t me too...after the osu game i was like gotdamn 12 days to the next game...but it came up pretty quickly

and boooooo to whoever the f**k created this years schedule...no home game til oct 8 which is fsu (which i wont even be in town for ) so your telling me the next home game i can attend and tailgate is the north carolina game on oct 23 :budden:

its a f**king whole month :banghead:

ima have to go to the wackass dolphins game on sunday just to hold me down for some tailgating
lucky bastard

id k!ll to go to that one
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
22 hours ago