Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
64 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
MMA Ronda Rousey turns off Stephen A. Smith in rousing promo for UFC 207
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Kanye back in the Studio with Pete Rock and a bunch of Nintendo Wii Games
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
89 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 02-04-2007, 12:53 PM         #781
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 4, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Tyler Horn bio

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Memphis (TN) University School OL Tyler Horn committed to coach Randy Shannon earlier this morning following an official visit to Miami.

"After 10 minutes at Miami I knew this was where I wanted to go," Horn said. "It was that `it' factor, that feel.

"I'm glad Miami liked me. It's a prime-time school."

Horn recounted how he told Shannon he was coming to UM: "My parents were there, we had a conversation. I said everything except `I commit.' Then I just said, `I'm going to come here.' He said `That's great.' We talked about different aspects of football, redshirting, the two-a-day stuff. He said `Don't overwork yourself right now, enjoy your senior year in high school.'"

Horn spent a lot of time with new line coach Jeff Stoutland on the visit.

"I like him a lot," said Horn, a 6-foot-5, 290-pounder. "He knows his stuff. I played tackle in high school but he wants me at center. I'm only 17, could grow another two inches before two-a-days. I've been the backup center the last two years and was center my sophomore year (coming off the bench). I did fine at center."

Horn said he spent a lot of time with fellow commitments Orlando Franklin and Harland Gunn on the visit.

"We got along real well, which is good because we'll be a close-knit group," Horn said.

His host was Matt Pipho.

"He was great -- they couldn't have picked a better host," Horn said.

Of his goals at Miami, Horn said, "It's a cliche, but to be the best player I can, to help the team out any way possible. It's an honor to be part of the Miami Hurricanes football team."

Horn did not have any major offers this recruiting season other than a late offer from Miami.

Why was he so lightly recruited?

There are a few possibilities.

University School coach Bobby Alston says the fact that Horn only weighed 250 pounds as a junior made schools overlook him.

Horn gained 40 pounds before his senior year, but then didn't have a chance to show his newfound body off to colleges.

"In the summer I went to the Arkansas Camp and broke my hand, so I couldn't go to any more camps," Horn said. "During the season I was being recruited by Louisville a little bit. But Miami is the best school that has been interested in me."

Memphis University School plays a difficult schedule that includes Brentwood Academy, which has supplied more players to SEC schools than any other school in the nation.

"Our league has had some outstanding players have come through and have done well in college," Alston said. "That's why we were so surprised the SEC guys missed the boat on Tyler.

"We feel like he's a guy that has a tremendous upside that people have missed out on a bunch. The first person who I think really realized it was coach [Mario] Cristobal. When coach [Jeff] Stoutland came by and saw him on tape he went away with the same impression as Cristobal. This is a young kid, only 17, and he is 6-5, 290, is very athletic, has good feet. We never could figure out how he was missing out [on getting recruited by major college programs]."

Horn started on his school's state championship team as a junior and played significantly when the team won the title his sophomore year.

He was voted the team's MVP after this season.

"He's the only offensive lineman I've ever had who, when the offensive team voted on MVP, he was almost a unanimous selection," Alston said. "That shows how important he was to us."
 02-04-2007, 12:55 PM         #782
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

February 4, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Hoover (AL) High School DT Kerry Murphy was an Alabama commitment before taking a visit to Miami this weekend.

Now he says a different school has the lead.

"It's at least 60-40 Miami," Murphy said. "The visit went outstanding, great."

Murphy says he's announcing a final decision at a press conference Tuesday afternoon. It's tentatively scheduled for 1 p.m.

He is choosing between UM and Alabama.

Asked if Miami has a decent chance of landing him at that press conference, Murphy said, "Hell, yeah. I enjoyed myself so much down there. I like everything there. It's working with NFL players in the summer, a lot of exposure (to pros) in the summer, especially at a position like defensive tackle."

Murphy was hosted by Joe Joseph.

Murphy says he met with coach Randy Shannon last night.

"He was talking to me about wherever I want to go, to go there," Murphy said. "He isn't trying to push me like all these other people are. He's just being straight up with me -- `Go where you want to go.'"

Murphy doesn't deny that he expressed to other recruits on the visit that he planned on being a Hurricane.

"There was one time I was like `Oh man, I've got to come down here,'" Murphy said.

But he says it's not a done deal.

Murphy says he won't be consulting anyone as he seeks to nail down a final decision.

"I'm not going to talk to anybody because Alabama is so close and Miami is so far, so it won't be balanced out," he said. "I'll just reflect on my visits."

If it's based solely on visits, the Canes will win out.

"I'd say the Miami visit was better because it's in Florida, in a different state, which I like," Murphy said. "I'd say the best highlight was, it's strange, but the film and just learning that they run the same stuff that we run [on defense]. Coach [Clint]Hurtt told me I already know 80 percent of what they're going to do.

"I talked with coach Hurtt a lot when I was down there. He wrapped things up. I was watching film with him. Coaches said I can come in there and, if I bust my tail, which I have no other choice but to do, that I can play in there with the other guys [and get early playing time]."

* Murphy said he enjoyed a sneak peek at Miami's new uniforms along with the other recruits.

"I've got a picture of it on my phone," he said. "They look good. At Hoover we have the same design as theirs, but now they have the stripe coming up over the chest. It's hard to explain."

CaneSport Magazine publishes 25 times a year, 10 glossy monthly printed issues and 15 online or Gameday Issues for a subscription price of $54.95. An online only subscription or a printed magazine only subscription is $39.95. Call 1-800-635-2263 or visit CaneSportmagazine.com
 10 years ago '06        #783
FullTimeHustla 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$1,642 | Props total: 1 1
wow kerry murphy is a huge pick up if he does switch from alabama
:wow: :wow: :wow:
lmao nick saban must hate shannon right now
 02-04-2007, 01:25 PM         #784
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 4, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Charles Clay bio

Little Rock (AR) Central High School athlete Charles Clay can do it all.

He projects as anything from a running back to defensive lineman, linebacker or even strong safety at the next level.

Clay says the Hurricanes see him starting out at linebacker, and this talented 6-foot-3, 222-pounder with 4.55-second speed took an official visit to Coral Gables this weekend.

"Miami started recruiting me last week," said Clay, who was originally supposed to visit Tulsa this weekend. "Coach (Tim) Walton, I'd talked to him a long time ago, but they said they'd just got my highlight tape in and wanted me to visit."

Clay received a Cane offer last Wednesday.

The only other schools that have offered are Tulsa, Arkansas, Arkansas State and University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

While Clay says his UM visit "went real well," he says he did not commit.

"As of now Miami is my favorite, not by a lot, but by a little bit," Clay said. "My parents want me to stay closer to home, but they want me to go where I'll get a good education. My dad didn't get to go on the visit with me, so we have to talk it over.

"I probably won't decide today - it'll be Monday or Tuesday. I still have to talk to my parents about it."

Clay's father was the starting tight end for Arkansas in the 1970's, which gives Clay a link to that school.

Clay says the Cane visit gives UM a good shot.

"My favorite part was getting to see the city and spend time with the players," Clay said. "My host was Spencer Adkins - he was real cool. We got along real well.

"When I met with coach [Randy] Shannon yesterday he was just saying they wanted me there and to take my time making a decision, that he didn't want to rush me. Coach Shannon said he likes the fact I can play a lot of positions, that I'm an athlete and have good feet."

Clay flew under the radar of many major programs because he didn't begin playing high school ball until his junior year.

"I made him come out for the football team that year," a.ssistant coach Clarence Finley said. "I played high school ball with his dad. His mother wanted him to concentrate on his grades, so he didn't play until his junior year -- he was a great tailback in the youth leagues.

"We finally convinced him to come out his junior year. He plays running back and tight end for us and a little defensive back. He's going to be a steal for someone. He's a big, strong kid."

Clay finished his senior year with over 800 rushing yards and 200 receiving yards despite missing three games due to a separated shoulder.
 02-04-2007, 03:14 PM         #785
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 4, 2007

Related Links:
Shawnbrey McNeal bioVideo highlights

Dallas (TX) Madison High School RB Shawnbrey McNeal committed to Miami without ever seeing the campus.

Now he's seen it: He took an official visit this past weekend.

But it didn't exactly start smoothly: He fell asleep at his departure gate for the 7:30 a.m. flight to Miami on Friday (his brother and father had gone on a separate flight).

McNeal woke up after his flight left.

He went standby on a later flight.

"I still got in at 1 in the afternoon," McNeal said.

Once he got to UM everything was perfect.

"The visit went great," he said. "I liked seeing the ocean - I'd never seen the ocean before. I just liked the atmosphere, basically.

"I loved it."

McNeal met with coach Randy Shannon last night.

"I lost my grandmother this week, so we were talking about that," McNeal said. "I was real close with her.

"And we also talked about how they're rebuilding the program, things like that."

McNeal roomed with fellow commitment Jared Campbell.

"We were just hanging out," he said. "All of the recruits were hanging out together. I was trying to get them to come to Miami. Some said yes, some said they don't know yet."

McNeal said he is optimistic based on his conversations with Tyler Horn and Kerry Murphy that they will be Hurricanes.

CaneSport.com will try to catch up with both players later today, so stay tuned.

McNeal spoke more about the weekend:

"When I got in we ate lunch, I made it around the campus with my host, Chavez Grant," he said. "We just hung out, had some fun. We went around the area, that's about it.

"Saturday we met with the coaches, went to South Beach, went out with our hosts again, walked around the town and the little spots and had fun.

"On Saturday I met with the receivers coach [Marquis Mosely]. He was just talking football. The quarterback Cannon Smith was in that meeting also."

* McNeal confirmed what was already speculated: That Brandon Paul and Martell Webb did not take their visits as had been planned.
 02-04-2007, 03:15 PM         #786
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hopefully he wont be late for the f!ght to greatness at miami
 02-04-2007, 04:32 PM         #787
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 4, 2007

Related Links:
Jared Campbell bioVideo highlights

Aurora (Col.) Overland High School DB Jared Campbell is back from his Miami official visit.

"The visit, I loved it -- it was great," he said.

Not surprisingly, his brother Calais was his host.

"It was fun," Jared said. "He showed me around a little bit, I met a lot of his friends. We went to South Beach, Coconut Grove, downtown. Calais took me around the city area so I could see both sides of Miami."

Campbell said simply being in Miami was the main highlight.

"I really liked the university, the look of it," he said. "It's tropical."

He says it's a done deal that he will be signing with Miami on Wednesday.

Campbell met with coach Randy Shannon last night.

"It was good," Campbell said. "We talked a little. I met with the position coach, too, coach [Tim] Walton. I was talking to him about the defense they run and what kind of strategies they use."

Campbell currently weighs 195 pounds.

So will he be a cornerback or safety at UM?

"Coach Shannon said I could play cornerback or safety," Campbell said. "I'll try out cornerback first."
 02-04-2007, 04:34 PM         #788
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
in other news

ra's moms is a solid commit to my d*ck

she had an official visit last night

se gave me a soft... nah, a LOUD verbal on that sh*t
 02-04-2007, 04:39 PM         #789
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
In other news, though reports by the GNN (Gay News Network aka Deuce) My mother was quoted as saying she had no interesting in committing to such a small "school".
 02-04-2007, 04:40 PM         #790
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RakimAllahNY said:
In other news, though reports by the GNN (Gay News Network aka Deuce) My mother was quoted as saying she had no interesting in committing to such a small "school".
 10 years ago '05        #791
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
 Black_Deuce said:
in other news

ra's moms is a solid commit to my d*ck

she had an official visit last night

se gave me a soft... nah, a LOUD verbal on that sh*t
 RakimAllahNY said:
 10 years ago '04        #792
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Hell nawwwwww^^^ hahahahhahahahahaha y'all n*ggaz is fools
 02-04-2007, 08:20 PM         #793
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Small School but a big athletic program

02-04-2007, 10:13 PM         #794
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 4, 2007

Related Links:
Joseph Nicolas bioVideo highlights

The recruitment of Homestead High School DB Joseph Nicolas keeps getting more and more interesting.

Last week he told CaneSport.com that he had Rutgers in the lead 60-40.

The newest information?

"It's 50-50," Nicolas said. "I'm going over things."

What gave the Canes that extra 10 percent?

"Nothing much - just talking to coach [Greg] Schiano, he'd come over here, so that gave them the little lead [at the time]."

Nicolas says he "really doesn't know" where he'll be attending college.

He says coaches at both schools may think he's going there right now.

But he says he may not know until Tuesday night or Wednesday for sure.

"That's when I'll call and let the coaches know," he said.

He spoke more about each school:

Of Rutgers, Nicolas said, "I like the environment and the people on the team and the accomplishments they made this year."

Of UM, he says, "I like the people they get to the NFL and the family atmosphere. And the education, the fact that it's a private school."

Nicolas last spoke with Cane coaches last Thursday.

"I talked to Tim Walton," Nicolas said. "He was giving letter-of-intent instructions the same as Rutgers did."

What will go through Nicolas' head as he tries to make a decision leading up to signing day?

"Just the facts about each school," he said. "I'm deciding all by myself."

He says he's "not nervous about it at all" about making his final choice.

Nicolas already has the letters-of-intent from both schools at his house.

"They're in my room on the table," he says.

What happens if a crazed Cane fan/friend of his tries to snatch the Rutgers papers the night before signing day?

That's about the only thing Nicolas is sure of -- "That's not going to happen," he says with a laugh.
 02-04-2007, 10:14 PM         #795
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

10 years ago '04        #796
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
^^^thats who the wideouts comin in need to aspire to be like...work hard and you'll be playin in superbowls
 02-04-2007, 10:43 PM         #797
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
NFL U was all over the superbowl

First Touchdown of the day on the kickoff

and another touchdown was peytons only on the day
 10 years ago '04        #798
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
this weekend was all about the UUUUUUUUUU

michael irvin getting inducted into the HOF

hester returning the kick

reggie wayne catching the td pass

the UUUUUUUUUUUUU
 02-05-2007, 11:30 AM         #799
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 5, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Publisher

The 2006-07 recruiting season is down to its final 48 hours, and that is always a very dangerous time.

Even though it's the dead period, coaches are allowed to work the telephones on an unlimited basis and you can only imagine the degree of negative recruiting which takes place.

It's called the Fog of War by many for a reason. The idea is to confuse a player you might be losing as best that you can and hope that he turns back in your direction by Wednesday.

Deonte Thompson is one kid caught up in it right now. FSU took its usual pull-out-all-the-stops run at him this past weekend and may have joined the existing Miami / Florida race. Nobody has any idea where Thompson will end up, but I do not believe Miami is the odds-on favorite right now. This will be an ongoing battle for Randy Shannon and his staff.

Miami has a nice recruiting class without Thompson. It becomes a great class with him.

Here's my analysis.

Quarterback: The commitment of Robert Marve was huge for the Hurricanes. It gives Shannon a young quarterback to groom and maybe even inject into this year's competition if neither Kyle Wright or Kirby Freeman steps up and proves they can be winning quarterbacks. There are no guarantees that Marve will develop into as great a player as many think he will be. But he is the best prospect at this position to commit to Miami since Wright, who came as the top-rated passer in America. I like him a lot better as a prospect than Nick Fanuzzi. I am not putting a lot of stock in the weekend visit of Cannon Smith. I hear he is headed to prep school.

Running Backs: Miami is on the cusp of having the best running back class in America and now is back to being seriously stocked at the position like it was in the James, McGahee, Portis days. Javarris James is entering his sophomore year and already has been joined by Graig Cooper, who already is in classes on campus and wowing everybody with his workouts. A guy I really like is Shawnbrey McNeal and I think he is going to be one of the gems of this recruiting class as an offensive playmaker. I would not be stunned if he ends up being used a lot as a slot receiver. This late pickup from the Texas A&M commit list has a lot of speed and is a guy who will command the ball. And now signing day is also likely to bring a commitment/signing by Lee Chambers from Missisippi, a guy who I think is a phenomenal player. Miami has really upgraded itself at the running back position.

The Canes would get a big coup in Deonte Thompson
Receivers: Let's be honest. If UM doesn't land Belle Glade's Deonte Thompson it will be a big disappointment. He is a big key to the receiving corps of this class. The word on the street through recruiting was that Thompson and Major Wright wanted to go to school together, and Wright committed to Florida last week. But Thompson has not committed yet, which is a good sign for Miami because it means the Hurricanes still have a chance. The tricky thing is that FSU has entered the fray and Glades coach Willie Snead is a former Gator and big Florida proponent. So Miami has some hurdles to overcome. Kayne Farquharson talks a big game and just might have the skills to back up his bravado. Leonard Hankerson is a quality guy from Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas who reportedly still has some work to do in the classroom but who I still expect to see show up in the recruiting class. I agree that there is some reason to be a bit skeptical on South Carolina product Daniel Adderley. The recruiting gurus only give him at two stars and he wasn't even being recruited by in-state Steve Spurrier. But obviously Miami coaches see something that others don't, and he is a big receiver who might possibly grow into a tight end one day. Hey, Kellen Winslow didn't look so great as a receiver when he was a true freshman. Jermaine McKenzie was a great get from the commitment list of Alabama. Just turn on this guy's videotape and you will see that he can flat-out play. I will be surprised if this Bradenton product doesn't play as a true freshman. There also is a pending decision from Birmingham's Marquis Maze, but I still would be really shocked if Miami ends up winning his services.

Tight end: There isn't a known guy on the board.

Harland Gunn has stuck by the Canes through the ups and downs of the last year
Offensive Line: Orlando Franklin and Harland Gunn appear to be solid commitments. Miami also got a commitment this past weekend from Tyler Horn, a 6-4, 290-pounder from Memphis. It appears Horn will get a shot at playing center. He is a sleeper prospect that not much is known about, but Miami has turned guys like this into players in the past. He might be a bit of a reach at this level, but there are not a lot of offensive linemen out there to choose from and Miami badly needed a third prospect in this class.

Defensive line: This position is probably the most disappointing in recruiting this year. Thank God the Canes were able to get Texas product Chris Perry back in the fold at defensive tackle. Miami has a real good shot to get Alabama prospect Kerry Murphy, but it is not believed that he will be a factor this year. Murphy is likely headed for prep school. If he comes back in a year, it will be a bonus as next year there are a ton of good Florida prospects. Adewale Ojomo is a speed rushing defensive end from Hialeah who has been a solid commit throughout the recruiting process.

Linebacker: Here lies the position with the most drama as we head into the final days of recruiting. Miami has no commits here yet. Jacksonville product Brandon Hicks is believed to be heading to Florida, but sources in Jacksonville tell me that his publicly announced decision was real close and could sway over the next two days. Georgia product Allen Bailey will announce any minute between Miami and Florida and I think there is a great chance Miami wins here.

The Canes continue to wait on Bailey's decision
Defensive back: Cornerback Doug Wiggins from North Miami Beach is already on campus and is a player who I expect to be the sleeper of the recruiting class. All signs to me are that Wiggins will be a big-timer who will compete for playing time as a true freshman. Miami snagged Jared Campbell from the Washington commitment list as a big, physical safety prospect. Damien Berry from Belle Glade is also on the commit list. This position could also hold 1-2 remaining blockbuster developments as I think there is a great chance that Miami Pace's Demarcus VanDyke, who is committed to Florida, and Homestead High's Joseph Nicolas, committed to Rutgers, flip to Miami in the final days of recruiting. VanDyke is remaining totally silent. Nicolas has steadily been increasing the percentages in Miami's favor.

Athletes: Little Rock (AR) Central High School athlete Charles Clay can do it all, and is a prospect at multiple positions. He visited this past weekend and there is a good chance he becomes a sleeper addition to this class. Clay says the Hurricanes see him starting out at linebacker, and this talented 6-foot-3, 222-pounder with 4.55-second speed is weighing the Canes against Tulsa, Arkansas, Arkansas State and University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. His parents want him to stay closer to home, so there is no telling which way this one will go.

Kickers: There will not be any in this class.

Summary: I think you have to be really impressed with the way that this class has come together, particularly when you look at the fact that it has been done with a skeleton coaching staff. If Miami can land Deonte Thompson, the linebackers, Van Dyke and Nicolas, this soars to one of the top classes in the country, regardless of what the star rankings say. Without those guys, it's a decent class but will trail the Florida Gators by a wide margin for statewide superiority. So strap on your seat belt and get ready for a wild ride these last couple of days.
 02-05-2007, 12:53 PM         #800
pirublood23 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah the u was on fire. irving should been made it.
Home      

most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
182 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
269 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Nintendo shows off Super Mario Run & Nintendo Switch on Tonight Show
55 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Trailer Teaser
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Air Jordan 11 Space Jam On Feet
31 comments
20 hours ago