most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Melissa Ford !!
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #7821
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
OL Bunche Showing His Strength
Aug. 17, 2010

By: David Lake

Malcolm Bunche
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- For most incoming freshmen, getting used to the strength of college football is a big adjustment.

But not for freshman offensive lineman Malcolm Bunche.

This offseason, Bunche (6-6, 330) recorded the heaviest bench press of any player on the team at 435 pounds.

“It feels good to be able to do that already,” Bunche said. “It just shows that I came in prepared. I wanted to come in prepared and I try to get stronger every day.”

Bunche has managed to keep his strength up while losing weight since he first arrived at UM in the fall. Bunche reported to UM weighing 345 pounds and now he is down to 335 pounds.

“I want to get at least to 330 pounds or a little under that before the season starts,” Bunche said.

Bunche is currently working with the second team at guard. He admits this fall camp has been trying at times because the heat is worse than his native Delaware.

“It is tough, but it trains you mentally,” Bunche said. “It makes you want to keep pushing yourself and you have to show a lot of heart. It shows the guys that are going to hustle on every play or the guys that are going to fall on their butts. It makes you push to get through the practice.”

Bunche says at times the energy of his teammates help push him through a practice.

“We are practicing with a good tempo,” Bunche said. “Everybody flies around and is hitting. The weather can get hot and the play can get a little slow, but then we pick it up because we know that we still have a lot of work to do and get finished.”

At this point, Bunche says he is comfortable with most of the playbook and most of his a.ssignments on each play. He credit’s a lot of his early knowledge of the offense to enrolling a semester early at Miami in January.

“It helped a lot because I had a lot of growing up to do,” Bunche said. “I needed to get better and it helped me with getting better mentally and physically.”

One area the offensive line has been strong during this fall camp is opening holes in the running game. Each day at practice it seems like a different running back is breaking a long run. Bunche credits the hard work the line has put in this training camp.

“We have our times when we do a real good job,” Bunche said. “We open those holes and the backs hit them real hard. We do as much as we can to make their jobs easy. If we just come off the ball hard and knock our man back, then the holes are going to be there and they will find those holes.”

Bunche says he hopes to earn some playing time this season, but his goal for now is to just get better each day in fall camp.

“I just try to get better every day and learn as much as I can,” Bunche said. “I try to get in the playbook and learn the plays.”
 6 years ago '04        #7822
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
WR Streeter Making Plays During Fall Camp
Aug. 17, 2010

Tommy Streeter
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Tommy Streeter has a new nickname on the practice fields that he has earned this fall camp.

Streeter (6-5, 210) has become “the peanut guy” to the defensive backs he goes up against each day in practice.

“Peanut guy” is a term Streeter has earned because he is a taller receiver who can come down with jump balls no matter how high a defensive back jumps to knock the ball down.

As Streeter explains, coming down with the catch is like eating peanuts off the top of the defender’s head.

“When the coaches sees us jumping over the defenders and making catches, they say we are eating peanuts off the top of their head,” Streeter said. “The coaches says they want us to eat peanuts off the DBs’ head. They call me the peanut guy on defense.”

Streeter says he has had his fair share of peanuts this fall camp.

“I don’t know. I am pretty full off the peanuts right now,” Streeter said with a smile.

In limited action last season, Streeter caught five passes for 114 yards. Streeter says his limited playing time fueled his offseason workouts and is a big reason why he has progressed since last year.

“Last year I got a few opportunities and I was there working hard for my teammates every day,” Streeter said. “I evaluated everything at the end of the season and thought about what I needed to work on so I would be ready to help the team during camp, because I know I have the ability to be on the field this upcoming season.”

After earning limited playing time during his first two years at Miami, Streeter feels like he has put in the work this offseason to be a part of the regular wide receiver rotation.

“I just need to continue to make plays and stay in the film room,” Streeter said. “Every day there is something I can work on whether it is my blocking, coming out of my breaks, or having my hands up. There is always something I can work on to get myself better.”

“I am just trying to make the most out of each opportunity I am given and getting better every day.”

Streeter did make one play during UM’s 20-14 loss to Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl that also gave him confidence going into the 2010 season. Streeter came down with a 47-yard reception on a deep ball in one-on-one coverage.

“The Champs Bowl let me know that I can make plays and to continue working hard,” Streeter said. “I hope to continue making plays this upcoming season.”

Streeter, who at 6-feet-5 and 210 pounds was timed at a 4.3 in the 40 this offseason, says he has continued to make plays during this fall camp.

“There is no doubt about that. I have been making more plays and I feel like all that comes with the opportunity,” Streeter said. “The more opportunities you have, the more opportunities you have to make plays.”

With the strength of Streeter’s game being the deep passing game, the one area he wants to improve throughout fall camp is his short and intermediate route running.

“I have been working on my underneath routes and quick slants and out routes,” Streeter said. “Coming into camp, I need to work on sinking my hips a lot more. I don’t have a problem being a straight line guy, but those intermediate routes, I have been working on and getting good at those.”

Streeter says he looks up to senior receiver Leonard Hankerson and has been inspired by the way he had a breakout 2009 season in which he finished with 45 catches for 801 yards and six touchdowns.

“I look up to Hank,” Streeter said. “A lot of times I tell myself and pray to God and I say Lord I want to play behind a guy that makes it to the NFL who is successful here, so I know what it takes. Now I see Hank emerging as that guy and so that is fulfilling for me.”

“He works extremely hard in the season and during spring. We may have just weights to do and he will come out and catch balls non-stop and run routes. He is just always trying to get better whether that is watching film or anything like that.”

Overall, Streeter is excited for the chance to be a part of the UM offense and put his own stamp on the 2010 season.

“The sky is the limit with this offense,” Streeter said. “We have playmakers and we are deep at every position. The second guys can come in and the third guys are taking reps and doing a lot of great things too. If a guys goes down, we will still be in a good position to win games. We are deep.”
 6 years ago '04        #7823
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
WR Johnson Committed to Being a Key Player
Aug. 17, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Aldarius Johnson
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Aldarius Johnson is ready to put 2009 behind him. And all signs are pointing towards him accomplishing this feat.

The junior wideout battled through a nagging groin injury he suffered in the season opener against Florida State. The injury caused him to miss three games and battled through pain in many others.

Johnson saw his production dip from a team-high 31 receptions as a freshman to 16 catches his second year.

He says it was his most difficult season ever in his career.

“Really the Florida State game, I messed my groin up that was real tough and I had to do a lot of treatment,” Johnson said. “You know how bad you love football, you want to be out there, but you can’t be out there so that was really frustrating me too.”

He got hurt again mid-way through the season against Florida A&M. In addition to battling through injuries, Johnson saw himself put on weight, which affected his performance on the field.

“In the off-season I was watching certain games I was saying that I wasn’t coming off the ball hard enough, I felt a little sluggish, so I felt if I got down to my normal weight, id be a lot better,” said Johnson, who weighed 225 pounds at the end of his sophomore season.

Johnson added: “I felt by me being heavy, I’m not helping the team.”

And so Johnson decided to commit himself to a diet and weight plan with strength coach Andreu Swasey, which consisted of having oatmeal and fruit in the mornings, having six to eight meals a day, and limiting what he ate at night.

Since then, the 6-foot-3 Johnson has dropped down to 200 pounds, the lowest he’s been since his junior year of high school, while improving his speed and strength.

“I’m really happy with it,” said Johnson, who recently went with a clean-cut look. “Coach Swasey really helped me with it. He gave me a sheet so I can work on my eating, staying healthy, and maintaining my weight so I really thank Coach Swasey for that.”

His improvements to his body off the field have translated during the first part of fall camp as he’s been one of the top receivers scoring a number of touchdowns.

Johnson came to UM after a standout career at Northwestern, where he earned All-American honors, won two state titles, and set Miami-Dade County records.

In his first two years at Miami, he has caught 47 passes for 608 yards and four touchdowns.

“The first two years was alright, it wasn’t what I expected,” he said.

Despite his ups and downs, Johnson believes the fans have stood by his side.

“Certain fans understand that you have your ups and downs and when you are up, they know what you can do. I feel like the fans are still there,” he said.

Heading into this year, all signs point towards Johnson getting back into the starting lineup as he started just once last season after making eight starts as a freshman.

“I feel a lot more confident this year,” Johnson said. “I just have to stay healthy. Coaches are putting us in the right position to make plays and I just pray we can bring it together to do what Coach Shannon expects us to do this year.”

Linebacker Colin McCarthy said: “I think he’ll be even better this year. He’s in great shape. He’ll play a lot more, he’ll get more opportunities, and he’ll take advantage of them.”

One thing that Coach Shannon has preached to Johnson this fall is run blocking, in particular, making sure the receivers block the safeties to allow the running backs to have favorable matchups with the cornerbacks. So far, Johnson has excelled as a blocker.

“He’s caught plenty of bombs over people’s heads, but him taking that next step with the blocking as a receiver is what he’s done the most this fall,” McCarthy said.

Johnson's done well throughout fall practices including last week’s scrimmage as he scored a touchdown. He’s also made two tough touchdown grabs at the beginning of practice recently.

“(The scrimmage) felt real nice,” Johnson said. “It felt good to see me back to my old self and helping this team out.”

As far as his role goes with a number of receivers back, Johnson says he’ll do “whatever Coach Whipple wants me to do”.

If Johnson continues his strong fall, he’ll have a large role on the team.

A role that Johnson will gladly accept.
 6 years ago '05        #7824
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,667 | Props total: 3775 3775

Steven Wesley isn't bitter about his exit from Miami, but he certainly isn't happy about it.

Click to enlarge
Steven Wesley The senior defensive end from Bartow High School was dismissed from the Hurricanes football team last month and made sure his message about his time at Miami was loud and clear Monday.

"If I had a chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't play for coach (Randy) Shannon," he said in a phone interview with The Ledger.

Internet reports have said Wesley was released because of reasons ranging from academic issues to the 6-foot-3, 250-pounder being out of shape.

Wesley was quick to dismiss those as well.

Wesley's career at Miami started with a redshirt season in 2006. He played in nine games the following year and started 11 of 13 games in 2008. He played in 11 games last year and started in six of them.

Wesley said the news of his release was not taken well by some of the team.

"When all of this happened, certain coaches on my team, they were mad about what happened and they were mad about coach Shannon releasing me," he said. "Players on the team also were mad about coach Shannon releasing me. That should really let you know ... whether or not it was a good choice or a bad choice."

Wesley hasn't been sitting around stewing about the decision. It took him about two weeks to find a new home at North Alabama with coach Terry Bowden, son of former FSU great Bobby Bowden and the former head coach at Auburn.

"He had just called me one day and he told me, 'I have a full scholarship here waiting for you if you want to be a part of a team,' " Wesley said.

Wesley had a different tune about what he thinks of his new coach.

"Coach Bowden, he's a player's coach," the 22-year-old said. "He's one of those type of coaches where it's easy for you to approach and talk to about any certain situations. He's always talking and always communicating with us."

Playing time probably won't be an issue for Wesley now that he's settling in at left defensive end.

"I already talked to coach Bowden, and my defensive line coach told me I would have a chance to start," Wesley said.

The biggest adjustment from the move has nothing to do with football for the former three-year starter at Bartow.

"This is a real drastic, total lifestyle change," he said. "From Miami, you go from seeing palm trees and 70-degree weather every day to coming to trees that are bigger than all the buildings, to 100-degree weather."
 6 years ago '07        #7825
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 465 465
Steven wesley made minimal noise

Our freshman lineman were outshining him

Hes just scorned
 6 years ago '04        #7826
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
nobody gives a f**k about a steven wesley. he never did s**t around here anyways
 6 years ago '05        #7827
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290

[video - click to view]

:laugh5:
now if we can only get the highlights for the 2002 game
 6 years ago '07        #7828
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
Smh @ us playing in the sugar bowl that year.

we were royally screwed. OU didnt want no parts of us anyway
 6 years ago '07        #7829
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
Scrimmage news
 6 years ago '04        #7830
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Figueroa: OT is the Biggest Test
Aug. 18, 2010

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

Joel Figueroa.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Finding a right tackle to compliment Orlando Franklin on the left side of the line was very important for the University of Miami football team. Franklin moved over from guard because coaches thought he was the best fit for the position and generally a team’s best offensive lineman plays left tackle.

The second best lineman usually takes the other side. Remember back to 2001 how Bryant McKinnie and Joaquin Gonzalez dominated both sides of the line and Ken Dorsey was sacked only four times. Those are two key components beyond the center to having a dominating offensive line.

Keep the pressure off the quarterback and victories will come in bunches. So rather than go with redshirt sophomore Ben Jones who got many of the reps in the Spring at right tackle, the coaches went a different direction moving the mammoth sized Joel Figueroa to right tackle from his normal guard position.

The two former guards now have a ton of pressure on them to perform and protect Jacory Harris’ front and backsides.

“I definitely asked him (Franklin) how was it when he moved, when you translate it and change to the other position. It’s a lot of aggression he had to put off and turn more to technique, so that’s exactly what I am trying to do,” Figueroa said.

The move for Figueroa isn’t one that is foreign to him. He was an offensive tackle in high school and a dominating one at that. Reliving that old dominance on the next level will be much tougher and he’ll have to do it quickly.

However, teammates have raved about his athleticism and he’s already made a splash with a widely reported pancake job of Allen Bailey during one of the team’s early practices this Fall. Figueroa is not worried about the move because the linemen generally learn all the positions on the line.

“It doesn’t change much to tell you the truth because coach Stoutland teaches us every position so it was just moving out there finally, it wasn’t that big of a deal,” Figueroa said.

But it will change the way he has to play. He may lose some of his aggression because he’s on an island and rather than try to mash the defensive end in front of him, he make have to catch the end and simply pop him with the outside hand to push the rushing end past Harris allowing him to step up in the pocket.

“I will be (facing the best pass rushers), but like I said I feel I am going against the best defensive ends every so I feel they will make me prepared,” Figueroa said. “At guard, I was much more aggressive. I had no problem making mistakes because I had guys on my inside and outside, but now I have to be less aggressive and use more technique to get the job done. I’m remembering playing tackle in high school. It’s going to be a lot of fun this year. I can’t wait for the season to start.”

Another big help is that the team has a lot more depth on the offensive line which will certainly push Figueroa to be dominant.

“We got a lot of guys coming around and guys coming back from injuries and things like this, you know Jacory is going to handle his like he always does and we got to protect him and the running backs are going to run the ball so yeah, we’re going to be ready,” Figueroa said.

He knows it will be very important for the line to take care of its business though and take it game-by-game rather than looking ahead and getting too excited about one win.

“I really don’t focus on that (the hype). I just focus on the team right now, it’s just working on this right tackle spot. Right now, we’re just taking it one game at a time. We want to win. That’s everybodies goal in the nation. Everybody wants to win, but first you got to start with the first game and that’s FAM(U),” Figueroa said. “Everybody thinks that (Ohio State), but you just want to focus on the first game, not trying to focus on the second game which everyone is asking questions about, but you know you can’t escape it, everybody wants to win.”

He is yearning for the challenge of being a tackle more than anything. It will give him an even better chance to get to the highest level, the NFL, if he can have an excellent senior season and show scouts he can play on the outside and dominate.

“This is the biggest (test). It’s one-on-one. You’re on an island. It’s you against the next man and you see who wants it more,” Figueroa said.
 6 years ago '04        #7831
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
QB Harris Vows to Be More Vocal
Aug. 18, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Jacory Harris.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- It’s not uncommon to see Jacory Harris hanging out with a number of different people on the team.

For example, Harris tends to blend in with a lot of different groups on the team whether it’s his former teammates from Northwestern or a third-stringer on the opposite side of the ball.

“He’s friends with everybody,” wide receiver Tommy Streeter said.

“You can say everybody on the team is my brother,” Harris says.

Harris’ easy-going, fun-loving personality combined with his play on the field—3,352 yards and 24 touchdowns in 2009—has earned him a lot of respect from his teammates.

As he enters his third season, second as a starter, Harris is putting a conscientious effort into becoming more of a vocal leader.

“I’d say my first two years I haven’t been such a vocal leader,” said Harris, who is 10-5 as a starter. “I like to just lead by example, but sometimes you have to break out of your shell and open up your mouth and say something sometimes because you will only get better like that and also everybody around you will only get better so as a leader I feel I’ve gotten a lot better.”

Harris is looking to lead the Hurricanes to their first ACC title since joining the conference in 2004 and into a BCS bowl game for the first time since 2003.

His leadership style suits his personality as he prefers to console with his teammates, as opposed to talking over them or berating them after a mistake.

“I would never bring a player down, I always like to encourage,” Harris said. “It’s nothing to the point when I’m hurting someone’s feelings. It’s always positive, I’m not a negative person.”

His play on the field has led to a number of late-game heroics including wins over Florida State and Wake Forest last season. Many of his teammates credit Harris for his calm demeanor inside the huddle during pressure-packed situations.

“Jacory tries to be funny,” running back Mike James said.

Harris explains why he tends to crack jokes to keep things light in the huddle.

“I just tell jokes, that’s how I stay calm,” Harris said. “Deep down something might be going on, I might be scared, who knows, but they will never see it on the outside. Because on the outside they will always see a smile on my face because I don’t want them to have a different feeling, I want them to have a secure feeling.”

Harris is part of a junior class that has been highly-touted since they arrived in Coral Gables in 2008 as the number-one ranked recruiting class. The ’08 class, which signed seven of Harris’ high school teammates, was deemed by many as the savior class, as the class that was expected to bring the Hurricanes back to national prominence. After two years, the class has showed signs of greatness, but their youth has always been pointed as an aspect that has held them back from consistently winning games.

“Two years ago, our best players on our football team was our young guys, everybody knows that,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “Who was they looking up to? They had no one to look up to. Now, we got some older guys that some younger guys are able to look up to and I think that will make a difference on the team.”

With Harris maturing as a leader and his teammates gaining experience, the coaching staff is hoping that the team will avoid a late-season collapse as the team is 5-9 in November/December games under Shannon.

“I do think that us being more mature will help us go through those (tough times) without losing our focus, losing what the main goal is,” Harris said. “We are taking it one game at a time and that’s going to be our mentality throughout the whole season. If anybody is getting ahead of themselves, we will kind of nip it in the bud at the beginning.”

The offense returns a number of key skill players including Harris, RBs Damien Berry, Graig Cooper, Mike James, and Lamar Miller, as well as WRs Leonard Hankerson, Travis Benjamin, Aldarius Johnson, and LaRon Byrd.

But if the offensive line, which will feature a new starter at every position, does not hold up, the offense will sputter regardless of the talent at the skill spots.

“You don’t know for certain how (the offensive linemen’s) season is going to work out, but all I can say is that they are a hardworking group of guys,” Harris said. “I love those guys, I call them my fat boys. I’m sure they love me the same way. It’s a pleasure being on the same field with them. All of them can move guys out of the way. They are a just a tremendous, funny group of guys.”

The Hurricanes begin the 2010 season on September 2 against Florida A&M.

“With us bonding as a team, I think that will be a key for us this season,” Harris said.

Having Harris leading the way is an even bigger key.
 6 years ago '05        #7832
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
scrimmage notes from poster on scout

SERIOUS DOMINATION! Andrew Smith just had his third, yes, third sack. And he's closing in on 10 tackles, leading the team.

Andrew Smith is dominating tonight. He has 3 sacks, a forced fumble the most tackles on the defense. Great to see him step up!

Defense dominated last 40 minutes of scrimmage.

Damien Berry just did a great job running in a short TD.

But that's about all the defense has given up the last 20 minutes.

The D is stepping up its game!

Mike James catches a short TD pass from Jacory Harris. Score was setup by long Lamar Miller run.

After a blocked punt by freshman Shayon Green, Travis Benjamin nearly takes a return to the house.

92 yard TOUCHDOWN run by Storm Johnson. How do you keep this guy off the field?

shannon after the game

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Deeangoe; 08-19-2010 at 01:34 AM..
 6 years ago '05        #7833
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Aug. 18, 2010

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Freshman running back Storm Johnson stole the show on offense rushing for 132 yards on 12 carries with touchdowns and junior defensive end Andrew Smith disrupted the offense with 10 tackles and three sacks as the University of Miami football team completed its second closed scrimmage of fall camp Wednesday night at Traz Powell Stadium.

Miami again worked through roughly a 100-play scrimmage, which for second time this camp featured live special teams for the first half of the scrimmage. The first seven possessions started from inside the 10-yard line before the `Canes started series at their own 45-yard line, the visiting team 45-yard line, and a few red-zone possessions before ending in the two-minute drills.

In another very evenly matched scrimmage, the offense managed seven touchdowns and senior placekicker Matt Bosher connected on a 30-yard field goal. The defense kept the offense out of the end zone 13 times, picking off two passes while the rest of the time forcing turnovers on downs and punts.

Junior quarterback Jacory Harris looked sharp again as he completed 8-for-12 for 102 yards and two touchdowns. His only mistake was in the two-minute drill at the end of the scrimmage when senior linebacker Colin McCarthy picked him off and returned it 31 yards.

Smith seemed as if he was already in season-form. On the third possession of the scrimmage, he recorded three consecutive tackles. He finished with a team-best three sacks and interrupted several plays in the backfield. While Smith was dominating on the defensive side of the ball, Johnson had his way on the ground offensively. His long touchdown run set the tone for his night.

A Storm Might Be Brewing in Coral Gables
One true freshman who has been turning heads since arriving on campus is running back Storm Johnson. The Loganville, Ga. native, who prepped at Loganville High School and enrolled at Miami this past January in time for spring practice, has been trying to make people forget about the freshman tag. Johnson, who had a solid showing in the spring, has really turned it on in fall camp. His first carry from scrimmage Wednesday night saw him brake multiple tackles and out-run a very speedy secondary for a 92-yard touchdown run. He scored again from 1-yard out later in the scrimmage and finished with 132 yards on 12 carries.
Running back is one of Miami's deepest positions. With senior Damien Berry, sophomore Mike James, redshirt freshman Lamar Miller, senior Graig Cooper and other true freshmen Eduardo Clements and Darion Hall competing, the `Canes look to be stacked for breakout performances. Wednesday night's scrimmage just happened to involve a Storm.

Game Time Feel
With 15 days to go until the kickoff of the 2010 season against Florida A&M on Sept. 2, Miami is getting into the flow of things. The players were decked out in their actual game uniforms with the offense sporting all orange uniforms and the defense in white away jerseys with green pants. The only thing missing was that iconic "U" striped helmets. Players are in solid white helmets until helmets are striped with the "U" a couple of days before the first game.

Miami went through its usual pre-game routine which involved players coming out for early passing drills, special teams work, team stretching exercises and a few plays of offensive versus defense before the scrimmage got underway. A crew of officials was also on hand to control the action.

Up Next
Miami will take Thursday off before returning to the practice field Friday morning at 8 a.m. UM's last two-a-day of camp will be Saturday.

Other Scrimmage Highlights and Stats
- Redshirt freshman Shayon Green blocked a punt on the second possession.
- Lamar Miller broke loose for a 44-yard run early on. He also had a couple of kickoff returns - one for 20 yards and one for 17 yards.
- Travis Benjamin returned a punt for 33 yards.
- Senior linebacker Colin McCarthy intercepted a pass to end the first two-minute drive attempt by the offense. Junior linebacker Ramon Buchanan followed McCarthy's lead intercepting a tipped ball to end the second two-minute drill attempt.
- Scoring plays:
Mike James 20-yard TD catch from Jacory Harris
Storm Johnson 92-yard TD run
Matt Bosher 30-yard field goal
Damien Berry 1 yard TD run
Kendal Thompkins 28-yard TD catch from Spencer Whipple
Eduardo Clements 3-yard TD run
Travis Benjamin 25-yard TD catch from Jacory Harris
Storm Johnson 1-yard TD run

Passing
Jacory Harris - 8-for-12, 102 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
Spencer Whipple - 7-for-8, 96 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Stephen Morris - 5-for-11, 80 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
Alonzo Highsmith - 0-for-6

Rushing
Storm Johnson - 12 carries, 132 yards, 2 TD
Lamar Miller - 10 carries, 90 yards
Damien Berry - 6 carries, 19 yards, 1 TD
Eduardo Clements - 14 carries, 16 yards, 1 TD
Mike James - 8 carries, 14 yards

Receiving
(players with multiple catches)
Kendal Thompkins - 4 receptions, 75 yards, 1 TD
Travis Benjamin - 2 receptions, 47 yards, 1 TD
Asante Cleveland - 2 receptions, 31 yards
Ben Bruneau - 2 receptions, 26 yards
Mike James - 2 receptions, 20 yards, 1 TD

Defense
Andrew Smith - 10 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 quarterback hurries
Olivier Vernon - 4 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble
James Gaines - 7 tackles (2 on special teams)
Ramon Buchanan - 4 tackles, 1 interception
Allen Bailey - 3 tackles, 1 punt block
Luther Robinson - 3 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss
Colin McCarthy - 2 tackles, 1 interception returned for 31 yards
Marcus Robinson - 2 tackles, 2 quarterback hurries, 1 tackle for a loss
Micanor Regis - 5 tackles
Jamal Reid - 4 tackles
Travis Williams - 4 tackles
Kylan Robinson - 3 tackles

To order tickets for the 2010 season, call 1-800-GO-CANES or visit .
 6 years ago '07        #7834
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space

Its gonna be a good season

Storm better get carries, hes more than earned them

Put mike back at fb
 6 years ago '04        #7835
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,792 | Props total: 1397 1397
Im usually not the one who like's to compare new players to old ones...but damn Storm Johnson gives me flashes of McGahee.
 6 years ago '04        #7836
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/20
Aug. 20, 2010

DT Luther Robinson
CORAL GABLES, Fla -- The University of Miami returned to practice Friday morning at 7 a.m. after having the day off yesterday.

It was the first practice Miami held coming off Wednesday night’s scrimmage.

After watching the game film of the scrimmage, Miami coach Randy Shannon was pleased by the strong play by both the offense and defense during the scrimmage.

“If one team is dominating, then you say we have a long ways to go,” Shannon said. “If it balances out each time, then you are good.”

On offense, Shannon liked seeing freshman running back Storm Johnson have a big day as well as wide receiver Travis Benjamin. Johnson finished the scrimmage with 12 carries for 132 yards and two touchdowns.

“It wasn’t the Damien Berry show, it wasn’t the Mike James show. Storm Johnson had a good game and Travis Benjamin had a good game. Different guys showed up, which shows when you have playmakers on offense you can do a lot of different things.”

Defensively, Shannon was encouraged by the play of the defensive line. Junior defensive end Andrew Smith finished with ten tackles, three sacks, and two quarterback hurries.

“Micanor Regis had some big plays and Marcus did,” Shannon said. “Andrew Smith made some big plays and all of them did well. The more those guys continue to grow and different guys step up in different games, we will be ok.”

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“We are coming back the first day from a day off, we went out and went back to day one. We did some inside run stuff and team stuff and some pass situation things just to get back into it. Tomorrow we will get back into it with two-a-days and grind a little bit harder then come back the next day for a walkthrough and then our final scrimmage. We just cleaned up a lot of things from the other day’s scrimmage, which is really good.”

NEWS & NOTES

• DE Andrew Smith is impressing Shannon with his pass rush this fall camp. “He has matured a lot,” Shannon said. “He did a lot of things in the offseason, especially in the summer time with coach Swasey getting into the weight room and improving his ,conditioning and that is what he knows he needs to get done. He is improving every time. He is doing a great job in pass rush, an unbelievable job in pass rush.”

• Shannon was encouraged by the reduction in mental errors from the first scrimmage to the second scrimmage. “There was no caused fumbles, which is good,” Shannon said. “We had two interceptions, but other than that it was a clean game by the quarterbacks. The defense caused two turnovers and we had some three-and-outs and some sustained drives by the offense.”

• Wide receiver LaRon Byrd was at practice and worked on the side while the team practiced. Byrd is reported to have sustained a bone bruise on his left knee. He was seen wearing a compression brace on his left knee. “It was more strength and conditioning for him right now,” Shannon said. “He will probably be back next week on maybe Monday or Tuesday.”

• Senior Colin McCarthy was taking reps at middle linebacker this morning in the base defense. That move pushed Kylan Robinson to the second team and moved Ramon Buchanan to the first team at outside linebacker. McCarthy had been taking reps at middle linebacker in the nickel package all fall camp.

• Redshirt freshman safety Jamal Reid was playing with the first team Friday as well.

• The position battle at safety has been tight this fall camp with young players like Ray Ray Armstrong, Vaughn Telemaque, and Jamal Reid competing for playing time with veterans like JoJo Nicolas and Jared Campbell. “Those young guys are really pushing those seniors right now, so it is great for us because if the seniors win than we are ok, if the seniors lose we are still ok.”

• Shannon on how quarterback Jacory Harris is looking this fall camp: “He has been fine,” Shannon said. “He has been getting his reads down and if the throw is not there, he throws it away or he takes the run and gets down on the ground for a five yard gain. He is doing a good job recognizing things.”

• Redshirt freshman DT Luther Robinson has made improvements since the spring. “If you watch him from spring football to what he is doing now, it is a big difference,” Shannon said. “He is coming off the ball and making some plays, but he is still a little immature as far as what we need him to get done on a consistency basis.”

• CBs Ryan Hill and Brandon McGee and LB Tyrone Cornileus were wearing green jersey’s and were held out of contact for the practice.
 6 years ago '04        #7837
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DE Smith Improving His Pass Rush
Aug. 20, 2010

Andrew Smith
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- After a dominating performance during Wednesday night’s scrimmage, junior defensive end Andrew Smith appears poised for a breakout 2010 season.

Smith dominated the line of scrimmage, totaling 10 tackles, three sacks, and two quarterback hurries on the night.

Miami coach Randy Shannon says Smith’s performance on Wednesday night is the product of the hard work he has put in this offseason.

“He has matured a lot,” Shannon said. “He did a lot of things in the offseason, especially in the summer time with coach Swasey getting into the weight room and improving his ,conditioning and that is what he knows he needs to get done. He is improving every time.”

The biggest area Smith has improved this offseason? His pass rush.

“He is doing a great job in pass rush, an unbelievable job in pass rush,” Shannon said.

Because Smith isn’t the biggest defensive end (6-3, 245) he knows the best way for him to make an impact is by utilizing his speed and quickness.

“My pass rush and getting off the ball with my speed,” Smith said. “That is mostly what I have been working on. I have been working hard and that is pretty much what it is. I try and keep it going every day and try to continue it this season.”

Last year, Smith started seven games for the Hurricanes and totaled 15 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss. Smith did not record a sack all of last year and that has been a big motivation for him going into the 2010 season.

“It was surprising and disappointing that I didn’t get a sack, but I just have to keep working and it will pay off in the end,” Smith said. “It has motivated me a lot. Each year you have to improve to get better. You can’t stay the same and I have just been trying to work on the little stuff to get better.”

Smith recorded the only sack of his UM career in 2008 against Division IAA opponent Charleston Southern.

“I feel like from my freshman year to now, I have improved a lot,” Smith said. “Coach Petri has helped me with a lot of techniques. I‘ve just tried to adjust to his coaching and go from there. Coach Lovett puts me in position to make plays, so I just try to execute.”

Last year, Miami ranked 74th in the country in sacks with 23 total for the season. Smith says new defensive line coach Rick Petri has improved the technique and attention to detail of the entire defensive line and the product of his coaching will be seen this year.

“If we keep working on the little stuff, then you guys are going to see it on the field this season,” Smith said.

Smith talked about how the improved play of the offensive line has helped the defensive line get better during fall camp.

“We get each other better,” Smith said. “They get different looks from the defensive line because we have strength and speed. We get different looks from the offensive line, so it is going to benefit us this season.”
 6 years ago '07        #7838
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
So Byrd isnt that bad

:dancingcool:
 6 years ago '05        #7839
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
So Byrd isnt that bad

:dancingcool:
yup mri came out negative...good thing my boys not an actual doctor
 6 years ago '05        #7840
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
damn didn't think I would be excited to see what Storm would do out there this year but after this I can't wait to see him out there. We got so much talent out there at RB hopefully it won't hold anyone back from shining
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside South African Snowbunny Fitness Trainer(Lawd Have Mercy!!)
81 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This website shows how frighteningly quick the internet knows everythi..
6 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
119 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
176 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
36 comments
2 days ago